YT vs. Commencal- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

YT vs. Commencal

This is first comprehensive head-to-head review I found of Commencal and YT. All the other "Trail bike of Year" seems to favor playing nice to all the vendors and providing subjective analysis only. These guys actually measure lap times, as well as up and down times.

Best Consumer Direct Mountain Bikes of 2017 | OutdoorGearLab

Spoiler ALERT (don't scroll if you don't see)
    Commencal Meta TR wins.

This definitely making me lean towards the Commencal. With the GX Eagle 1x12 being another clear advantage over Jeffsy with X1 1x11 but better Race Face components.

However I wonder what the results would be if they tested the 27.5 Jeffsy instead of the 29er.

mtbr member
    I like that they tried to take a systematic and somewhat objective approach. That said, they tested a M Jeffsy and a L in every other bike and then put the Jeffsy's cramped cockpit as a negative. Having a smaller bike is going to make it more nervous and less suited to rowdy trails (at least in terms of steeper and rougher). Seems like a big flaw in a head to head test....

The Jeffsy's and the Capra's super progressive suspension is definitely something that divides opinion. I'm planning on taking out the shock's volume spacer to see how different the ride is, as the linkage design is already quite progressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "So you think it's the hat?... A lot of people hate this hat. It angers a lot of people, just the sight of it." - Uncle Buck

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I agree. The sizing issue (due to lack of Large availability) and the 29er vs. 27.5 doesn't make it apples/apples comparison.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Jeffsy performs better in climbing but yet they give it 7/10 and give the slower Meta TR a 9/10?

If you're going to measure things objectively with times then give the appropriate rating or else its pointless. Shock had issues but they still proclaimed it climbed well regardless of setting. Maybe they should include other metrics such as power output or heart rate to convey the problem with the hefty 29er wheels. Otherwise it's quite perplexing how the fastest climbing bike doesn't get the highest score. Just shows another attempt at a feeble and quite subjective rating system. Worthless review whereby they can't even judge or rate metrics properly.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
    Jeffsy performs better in climbing but yet they give it 7/10 and give the slower Meta TR a 9/10?

If you're going to measure things objectively with times then give the appropriate rating or else its pointless. Shock had issues but they still proclaimed it climbed well regardless of setting. Maybe they should include other metrics such as power output or heart rate to convey the problem with the hefty 29er wheels. Otherwise it's quite perplexing how the fastest climbing bike doesn't get the highest score. Just shows another attempt at a feeble and quite subjective rating system. Worthless review whereby they can't even judge or rate metrics properly.
    Not ideal - testing. If you read the review details, they also talk about the 1x11 gearing of 32:42 to be very tough to climb on. Probably made worse with the bigger 29er wheels even though the other bikes had the same gearing. I guess the testers had good legs that made the climbs times fast on the 29er, but with more effort.

Even so, I agree the overall test would have been better/fair with the same bike size and wheel sizes.