YT Tues and CCDB Coil- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2014

YT Tues and CCDB Coil

Ive got a 2015 YT Tues CF, and added a CCDB Coil. Anyone else have this? If so, what is your current tune?

Thanks!

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    I have been thinking about it. Would like to hear what your experience is like.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo View Post
    I have been thinking about it. Would like to hear what your experience is like.
    Sorry it took me a bit of time to respond. I was on vacation in Angel Fire Bike Park. And thanks to my CCDB, I was on a rental DH bike instead of my YT. The shaft seal gave out, and the shock spewed oil all over my frame and shoes.

I've been disappointed with the CCDB for a while now. First off, the adjusters are not positioned well, and it can be tough to make quick adjustments. The "clicks" on the low speed adjusters require absolute silence and concentration to hear. It's easy to miss it, and then when you try to go back and catch it, you miss it again. You can't just pause on the trail and make quick adjustments. With the shock requiring so much tinkering, this becomes quite labor intensive. Also, I don't think the shock scales well to the 10.5" length and 3.5" stroke that the YT requires. The shock shaft is thin, and flexes. Enough to make the spring rub against the body of the shock. And I am just making a guess here - but I think the premature, and catastrophic shaft seal failure I experienced was due to that flexing.

After CCDB spewed oil everywhere, and turned my YT into a carbon pogo stick, I rented a bike that came with a Fox Float X2. Oh wow what a difference. I know its probably not a fair comparison because I was on an entirely different bike with air vs coil. BUT, the position of the adjustments, and the positive *click* of each setting was such an immediate improvement. It only took me one run to get the shock where I wanted, and then I just went and rode the bike.

After I have Cane Creek rebuild my shock, I'm selling it and buying the Fox Float X2. As a bonus, this is the shock that is now sold with the Tues CF Pro, so I suspect there will be a greater "pool" of riders to discuss settings with.

mtbr member
    This isn't entirely fair, as I don't have the CCDB on my YT, but based on my experience with a CCDBa on another bike, I'll not buy another Cane Creek shock, at least not until CC has a few years with a functioning quality department - they basically admitted on pinkbike that they didn't have a quality program (which is why the early DBIs where such stinkers); their track record from what I've seen is their shocks go about 6 months between problems.

The DHX2 costs the same as the DB, uses basically the same tech with a couple key improvements (the double bushing on the main seal head), and comes from a company with a better reputation for quality. I don't see any reason to get a CC shock aftermarket.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo View Post

Yea, I guess Ill wait a bit for that to get resolved.
    Maybe the original shock on the bike wasnt so bad after all..