YT Decoy- Mtbr.com

Thread: YT Decoy

mtbr member
    Dec 2018

YT Decoy

The YT eMTB is here: https://www.yt-industries.com/cat/index/sCategory/73534
    27,5/29 combo.

I am not in the market for an eBike but this thing looks awesome!

Adolf Silvaís double backflip on an eBike: https://youtu.be/6ng0nSY9CZY ;-)

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I donít know why.... but it bothers me SO MUCH that the wheels are different sizes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by MudderNutter View Post
    I donít know why.... but it bothers me SO MUCH that the wheels are different sizes

Really? You mean it bothers your OCD? I guess others would argue that this combo is rad!

Out spokin'
    The wheels on my Honda XR400 are different sizes, too.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Oh yeah itís totally an OCD thing, haha. I have no problems with it performance wise... because I have no experience with it at all.

mtbr member
    It's normal on motorcycles.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

just a man
    I pulled the trigger on the CF Pro Race today....

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombin4X View Post
    I pulled the trigger on the CF Pro Race today....
    Same here, I had a new Jeffsy on order but changed it to this immediately. Finally an e-bike with good geometry for a tall guy, looks sharp, priced well and no major compromises that I can see. The only other one that really appealed to me was the Mondraker but the price was too much for me.

mtbr member
    The only downside I see with the Decoy is that noisy Shimano motor.
    I saw a E-Bike last year with that motor.
    It sounds really annoying.
    Other than that the bike looks good for an E-Bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Thought this was an April foolís joke.........

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Lando555 View Post
    Really? You mean it bothers your CDO? I guess others would argue that this combo is rad!
    FIFY
    I put the OCD letters in the correct order for you
    Crusin' on a fake duck with a Sharks jersey on and a pig's tail in my fork

mtbr member
    May 2007

You could switch the rear tire to a 2.6 and pump up the front to a 2.6. That way the tires will have the same width number

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I don't like the different wheels too

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    I don't like the different wheels too

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
    I'll be trying out increasing fork travel to 180mm and then running 27.5x2.6 tyres front and rear.

I hate 2.8 / 3.0 tyres.... way to vague.

Professional Troll
    Any rumors on delivery? They were supposed to ship today I think?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The YT rep said my CF Pro race was in on the container that arrived 5/20. It was not. Asked last week and they were delayed and some are shipped via air and will be aviliable in , you gueesed it "two weeks"..so how many two weeks until they arrive.

Professional Troll
    I got my shipping confirmation on Friday (xxl). ETA Wednesday!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    What model?

Professional Troll
    Pro magnesium white

Professional Troll
    Anyone looked into putting a dual crown on this thing? I figure adding another pound or so doesn't make a difference on a bike like this, and the axle-2-crown length difference should be a rounding error.

Anyone else planning on running DH-only 2 ply tires?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05 View Post
    Anyone looked into putting a dual crown on this thing? I figure adding another pound or so doesn't make a difference on a bike like this, and the axle-2-crown length difference should be a rounding error.

Anyone else planning on running DH-only 2 ply tires?
    After riding one, I think a 190/200mm travel fork would feel very mis matched.
    Its 165mm in the rear, but its a very firm tune to keep you higher in the travel. It feels more like 140 or 150mm of travel. (And this was set up for me by a YT employee). Its no Kenevo at soaking up the bumps
    Last edited by richt2000; 05-29-2019 at 11:46 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Can you put a 29 wheel at the back?

Professional Troll
    Nope.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    That's a deal breaker for me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I got my shipping confirmation on Friday (xxl). ETA Wednesday!
    Did you get your Decoy?

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguru2007 View Post
    Did you get your Decoy?
    Yes! tl;dr: It's awesome, everything I hoped for.

Road it this weekend at Graeagle, CA! The trails were mellow (but awesome) blue single track. So I canít report how it feels on jumps/drops or technical DH yet. Iíll update it this weekend once I hit up Pacifica. I also can't comment on the quality of the brakes yet, didn't really push those. Gearing range feels great. Wide spacing on e-bikes is better so you don't have to shift so much (I feel the same about my commuter e-bike).

Complaints:
    1. They steerer tube is cut super short so the stem is basically slammed. If you want to run a higher stem/bar setup "fvck you" I guess? I ordered some 3" rise bars to try.

Okay so thats about it, not really any complaints as you can tell!

Pluses:

Roug (ish) Climbing:

AMAZING. Riding up semi-techy single track was pretty awesome. I can see why people like fat rear tires. It works really well for keep traction up rocky climbs. With the power of the motor it makes climbing really fun actually. You donít really struggle up creases and awkward ledges or anything. You just roll right up it, plus you can keep a pretty constant heart rate, so you end up getting road-bike like training quality I think, rather than just punchy XC-style training (which I prefer).

Smooth climbing:

ALSO AMAZING. I was riding up some more buffed out singletrack next. I put it into turbo mode (or whatever the highest is) at first I was blowing out some UPHILL corners because I was taking them too fast for my concentration level. Once I adapted to the speed it just became super fun. The speeds arenít anywhere near what you would get on a moto (I could probably do 20+ on a Moto on these sections), but the feeling is quite similar. Iím a pretty strong climber and was climbing 4-6% singletrack above 10 mph. Itís pretty awesome.

Descending:

ALSO AWESOME. I have experience riding a wide variety of trails on a 450, so I wasnít expecting the weight to be an issue for me. And it wasnít. To me it just feels like a normal trail bike while descending, a little on the heavy side maybe (Iím also 6í7Ē, so that helps). I need to continue to adjust the suspension since the dynamics of a 50 pound MTB are a little outside what my ~33 pound trail bike is, but I imagine itíll feel pretty perfect once I dial it in. Although the fat rear tire is nice for climbing, itís sub-optimal for descending (as expected). If you are a downhiller who likes cornering hard the rear tire starts to feel a little wallow-y. Once I wear out the stock tires Iíll just put normal DH dual ply 2.4 DHFís or high rollers or something like that on there. I think the improved cornering speed will be much more valuable than better technical climbing for what I will be riding 90% of the time.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gpgalanis View Post
    That's a deal breaker for me.
    Just curious why not fitting a 29 rear wheel is a deal breaker? The bike design is to have some nimbleness, but have the great roll over in the front with the 29er. I rode Francis' Shuttle with the 27+ rear and 29 front. I could tell the difference. I have ridden a stock Shuttle 4 times also.

The good news is there a lot of 29er ebikes out there. I mentioned the Shuttle and there's the Levo. Of course, you are going to get the best value out of the decoy, but one has to weigh options.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I used to run mixed plus wheels in my previous bike and I didn't really like them that much, so I would have preferred the Decoy to be a full 29er with the option to run up to 29x2.6 tires.

Professional Troll
    Just did the first real ride on the Decoy, 14 miles, 3700 ft of vert, sub 2 hours. STEEP fire roads, averaging 11% for all the climbing. I was in eco mode for about 60% (the first 2 laps), trail mode for 40% (the last lap). I had about 50% battery left. I'm 215 pounds and was pedaling pretty hard on the climbs.

My climbing rate on this bike, in eco mode, on these steep fire roads, is about equal to my climbing rate on my 19 pound XC race bike (just under 1000m/hour) on 7% fire roads. So that's pretty awesome for a DH capable bike.

More thoughts:
    Definitely going to go to normal sized tires. These wide tires are silly for the downhill type riding this bike is meant for (but great for rocky climbs). I wish the reach was about 0.5-1 inch longer.

I was riding steep DH trails (average grade on Strava is 20-25% for these trails) and I will definitely add a 9" front rotor if I can find one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Just did the first real ride on the Decoy, 14 miles, 3700 ft of vert, sub 2 hours. STEEP fire roads, averaging 11% for all the climbing. I was in eco mode for about 60% (the first 2 laps), trail mode for 40% (the last lap). I had about 50% battery left. I'm 215 pounds and was pedaling pretty hard on the climbs.

My climbing rate on this bike, in eco mode, on these steep fire roads, is about equal to my climbing rate on my 19 pound XC race bike (just under 1000m/hour) on 7% fire roads. So that's pretty awesome for a DH capable bike.

More thoughts:
    Definitely going to go to normal sized tires. These wide tires are silly for the downhill type riding this bike is meant for (but great for rocky climbs). I wish the reach was about 0.5-1 inch longer.

I was riding steep DH trails (average grade on Strava is 20-25% for these trails) and I will definitely add a 9" front rotor if I can find one.
    Thats pretty amazing. If if I do same sort of ride on a kenevo, the battery is dead at about 3200ft and 15-17 miles.

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by richt2000 View Post
    Thats pretty amazing. If if I do same sort of ride on a kenevo, the battery is dead at about 3200ft and 15-17 miles.
    My buddy was on his 2019 Levo and his battery life was similar, maybe a touch lower (500Whr batter or whatever not the 700 one). He's the same weight as me.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    From the pics Iíve seen it looks like there are mounts for a bottle cage, can anyone confirm? Is it the Fidlock setup like the new Jeffsy or does it take a standard cage? Is it limited to YTís short bottles?

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by Camstyn View Post
    From the pics Iíve seen it looks like there are mounts for a bottle cage, can anyone confirm? Is it the Fidlock setup like the new Jeffsy or does it take a standard cage? Is it limited to YTís short bottles?
    Yes there are. It looks like none of the normal/small bottles I have will fit. I'm hoping the Jeffsy ones does. I was gonna order it this week and find out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

More thoughts:

Iím getting one but Iím concerned about the short reach. Iím 5-10 and ride a Large with 490mm reach on my non-ebike. How tall are you and what size frame did you get?

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Iím 5í11Ē. I ordered a Large.

I tested and XL and pedal position was awesome. But the front was hard to get online out of turns.

I tested the L and didnít feel as Ďiní as the XL. But it handled better changing directions.

I kinda feel like I am in between. Maybe a +10mm stem would be the solution for the Large.

I do find myself now wondering if I would rather have the longer reach and wheel base.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jpzeroday View Post
    Iím 5í11Ē. I ordered a Large.

I tested and XL and pedal position was awesome. But the front was hard to get online out of turns.

I tested the L and didnít feel as Ďiní as the XL. But it handled better changing directions.

I kinda feel like I am in between. Maybe a +10mm stem would be the solution for the Large.

I do find myself now wondering if I would rather have the longer reach and wheel base.
    Thanks for the input. Iím also 5-11 and always at the in between range for bikes.
    I like a longer reach so it looks like the XL for me.

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by endoguru View Post
    Iím getting one but Iím concerned about the short reach. Iím 5-10 and ride a Large with 490mm reach on my non-ebike. How tall are you and what size frame did you get?
    I'm 6'7", 37" inseam. I think you are probably between a L and XL. I'd probably get an XL if I were you. I think the XXL is ideal for people up to 6'3"-ish. So the XL is probably ideal for people around 6'.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I just pulled the trigger on an XL Decoy. Iím not a fan of 2.8 tires, especially in the lighter Maxxis casings. Has anyone ditched the 2.8 for a 2.5 Wide Trail DHR ll? Iím wondering if they fit on that 35mm wide rim.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I just pulled the trigger on an XL Decoy. Iím not a fan of 2.8 tires, especially in the lighter Maxxis casings. Has anyone ditched the 2.8 for a 2.5 Wide Trail DHR ll? Iím wondering if they fit on that 35mm wide rim.
    Yes no problem. Iíve run a 2.35 schwalbe on a 35mm rim no problem, although the tread is spread a little wide. 2.5 or 2.6 will be sweet.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I run a dr2 2.6 and it's great way better than 2.8. You will need more tractor

mtbr member
    May 2018
    No issues with pedal strikes? I havenít ridden mine yet, got rained out today, but Iíd like to change the 2.8 rear to a 2.5WT DH casing. Wasnít sure though as the Bb height is already pretty low on paper.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I ran in low and it handles great but if it's really rocky I ran in high and it's still good and less strikes.

10,000,000 Watts
    Are yíall happy with your Decoy? How many miles do you have? Any issues?
    Mountain Bikers Do It Til They Bonk!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    First ride today on my new Decoy. The bike handles great, but the motor is not. I can feel the boost a little bit on flat ground but as soon is the trail points up at all it quits. I had to walk up hills I make it up on my regular bike. I tried Eco, Trail and Boost and it didnít make any difference. Has anyone else had this problem?

10,000,000 Watts
    First ride today on my new Decoy. The bike handles great, but the motor is not. I can feel the boost a little bit on flat ground but as soon is the trail points up at all it quits. I had to walk up hills I make it up on my regular bike. I tried Eco, Trail and Boost and it didnít make any difference. Has anyone else had this problem?
    Something I seriously wrong. You never have to walk an ebike unless itís unrideable. Idk whatís up there. Check out Emtbforums.com maybe somebody knows something. Sorry bro.
    Mountain Bikers Do It Til They Bonk!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I got the motor sorted through a firmware update. I really like the way this bike rides and handles. Iím having significant problems with the Di2 derailleur. It skips badly in the 3 smallest cogs. I unplugged everything, aligned the hanger, played around with the B tension and nothing helped. I backed the high limit screw all the way out and it still wonít shift far enough over to stop clicking and skipping in the smallest cog. Iím assuming either the derailleur is bad or the E13 cassette is junk. Anyone else had this issue?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I got the motor sorted through a firmware update. I really like the way this bike rides and handles. Iím having significant problems with the Di2 derailleur. It skips badly in the 3 smallest cogs. I unplugged everything, aligned the hanger, played around with the B tension and nothing helped. I backed the high limit screw all the way out and it still wonít shift far enough over to stop clicking and skipping in the smallest cog. Iím assuming either the derailleur is bad or the E13 cassette is junk. Anyone else had this issue?
    Post a new thread in the Drive train forum. You might get a faster response there as your issue has to do with DI2, and not limited to the Decoy.

mtbr member
    YT have been warranting the E13 cassettes due to a bad batch, maybe you got one of those, more info over on EMTB forums