YT Capra 29 AL base vs. Rocky Mountain Instinct BC Edition- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2019

New question here. YT Capra 29 AL base vs. Rocky Mountain Instinct BC Edition

Hey folks! Looking to get my first 29er. I can get a deal on an Instinct BC Edition to put it within $400 of the Capra with similar components (NX Eagle, YT has Rockshox, Rocky Mountain has Fox.) My biggest question is how well the Capra climbs. I've heard that since the Instinct BC Edition climbs almost as well as the normal Instinct, and I've heard that the Capra is "climbable", but I haven't really heard any direct comparisons. Anyone have any thoughts??

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Is the Capra linkage significantly more progressive than the Instinct BC, with more anti squat? I think it is, and if so, that's a tough choice. I haven't ridden either. It really depends on what you want the bike to do. Can you demo the Rocky Mountain?

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Thanks for the response! Unfortunately I won't be able to demo the Rocky Mountain. My decision has essentially come down to getting the bike that climbs the best. I'll be using it as a trail bike, I'm going with a LT 29er since I'm a bigger guy (6'2 and 230 lbs) who will be climbing up everything I ride but wants travel and needs some powerful brakes.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Owned both. Well, the RM was the standard Instinct that I ran with a 160 Lyrik. If climbing were my first priority, I wouldn't choose either. Of the two, the Rocky climbs better, but the YT is an absolute rocket coming back down the hill.

If I had to buy one of the two, I'd buy the Capra and suffer a bit more climbing.

Bunch of other bikes in that category that might be better all-rounders (Ripmo, maybe even an Enduro, which climbs better than you might think).
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Dream bike, assuming money isn't a factor, is definitely the Ripmo (or perhaps the Evil Offering). Thanks for the comment, I'm stoked to hear from you since you have ridden both.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tqjohnst View Post
    Dream bike, assuming money isn't a factor, is definitely the Ripmo (or perhaps the Evil Offering). Thanks for the comment, I'm stoked to hear from you since you have ridden both.
    I'm also looking at the Capra to replace my Mojo HD3.

I found this vid yesterday - interesting comment toward the end about how the Capra compares to the Ripmo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHwnKAzKBTo

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    The comment that the Capra is more stable? It's true, at mach chicken, which it doesn't appear those riders were doing. For all-around riding, particularly if there's a lot of climbing involved, the Ripmo is a different thing altogether.

The Capra is a super-fun bike and I often regret selling mine. But I earn all my turns in the mountains and it was eating my lunch on the climbs.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    What bike did you replace your Capra with?

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Ah, I kind of go through bikes. Right now, a Hightower and a new Giant Trance.

If I lived near a bike park or shuttled more, the Capra would've been a keeper. Definitely the fastest bike I've ridden if your downs are steep and tech. Too much bike to pedal up the mountain, at least for me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Im looking at the Capra as a trail bike. But wont be doing big climbs. Id be riding on places like Sedona and Moab. Curious how it could fare in those conditions.