Yet another Jeffsy sizing question - 5' 10" M or L?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2018

Yet another Jeffsy sizing question - 5' 10" M or L?

Hey all. New around here. Seemed like a nice YT community to join.

It's time to get a new trail bike and the Jeffsy is on the top of my list.

Going back and forth between a size M or L
    I'm 5' 10" with a 32" inseem

My current XC bike (Scott Spark 900 RC) has a saddle height of 89.5cm from the center of the pedal spindle to the top of the saddle (cranks are 175mm)
    It has a 440mm ST with a 125mm dropper. I have about 60mm of post showing between the seatpost collar and bottom of dropper collar.
    By my calculations the size L with a 150mm dropper would be too tall for me even with the post all the way slammed.
    Is anyone here able to measure the saddle height on a size L with the post slammed and the dropper raised to max height?

Would I be more comfortable on a M?

Current bike, granted its and XC race bike, has 415mm reach with 90mm stem for an effective reach of 505mm. Bars are only 710mm
    The M Jeffsy with 50mm stem comes to 475mm effective
    Is that a valid way of doing it?
    The L would put me around 495 but may feel too long with the wider bars?

Thanks for any info

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I’ve never ridden a large in my life (from my 1996 Stumpy to my 2013 Mojo HD), but after reading about Jeffsy sizing on here, I bought a large and glad I did. You’re a tad taller than I with the same inseam, and no way would I fit as well on a medium as I do on my large. Plus, if you build it up and think it’s too big, box it back up and have YT send you a medium - I can’t remember the charge, but nothing crazy.
    Last edited by twistagrip; 08-02-2018 at 06:14 PM.

Ariolimax columbianus
    5'9.75"/177cm long torso, shorter inseam ~31". L Jeffsy and L '18 Capra fit excellent. Actually rode a steeper, faster trail today (good for Capra too) and was surprised how composed it was, loving this bike. Also did some rides in the Tahoe area last week and it shined too.

Danger Zone
    At 5'10" you'll probably fit better on a large, but there's a chance the dropper could be just a tad long. I'm about 5'11"(ish) and the 150mm dropper is just right for me when fully slammed in the frame.

Worst case scenario just swap out the dropper for something a bit shorter.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    5’11” with 33” inseam and I have room to move dropper down 1.5”. Not home or I would measure saddle height. Out of town for few days. Should of added I’m on a large. Medium I would of hated.
    Last edited by superlate; 08-03-2018 at 05:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Thanks all. If someone could get a measurement that would be awesome

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I have the same measurements and the Large fit me perfectly, I even have a little bit of seat tube showing so it's not all the way slammed. I had the same fears (150mm dropper too tall) but it ended up working perfect. The Jeffsy has a shorter TT compared to the Spark so it's better to go for the Large than to end up with a really short bike IMO.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Medium would be much too small for you. I'm 5'9.5, and ride a large Jeffsy. Couldn't imagine riding a medium. My inseam is about 32.5, and I fit over the 150mm dropper with no problem.

I would rather have to swap a dropper due to inseam length, than order a frame that was too small... Enjoy the Jeffsy! It rips.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    From center of crank spindle to top of saddle right above seat post I have 76.2 cm. Post is 2.85 cm above post clamp. Earlier I said 1.5” was a guess it’s actually 1 1/8” Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Since we're talking seatposts, does everyone’s Fox Transfer Factory post pop when fully extended??

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I am on a large with a 32.5 inseam at 5 11 and the post is slightly too long with my flat pedal/5 10 shoes and is barely low enough with shimano spd's and shimano clipless shoes.
    It's around 29" with the RaceFace dropper with it slammed down to the collar and the post fully extended.
    OP is probably going to have dropper post issues on a large, but my large doesn't feel long in the reach. I bet you could be fine on either though if you address the dropper on the large. Maybe remove and sell it immediately unused and get a 125mil dropper.
    I wonder if there is some design reason why the seat tube is so high, because it causes fit issues with the 150 dropper pretty often it seems. If they shortened it by an inch or two it would probably be enough.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I seen a video on YouTube think it was worldwide cycling that cut set tube down on a yeti with success. I personally wish I would of gotten a XL over L. Like Len said reach feels short. My large evil following felt much longer. Some of it has to do with seat tube angle on the evil.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Len Baird View Post
    I am on a large with a 32.5 inseam at 5 11 and the post is slightly too long with my flat pedal/5 10 shoes and is barely low enough with shimano spd's and shimano clipless shoes.
    It's around 29" with the RaceFace dropper with it slammed down to the collar and the post fully extended.
    OP is probably going to have dropper post issues on a large, but my large doesn't feel long in the reach. I bet you could be fine on either though if you address the dropper on the large. Maybe remove and sell it immediately unused and get a 125mil dropper.
    I wonder if there is some design reason why the seat tube is so high, because it causes fit issues with the 150 dropper pretty often it seems. If they shortened it by an inch or two it would probably be enough.
    I have the same inseam as you and fit fine on my large Jeffsy with the e13 dropper. I rode five tens with race face cheaters. The e13 must allow a bit more clearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Large. I'm 5'10 with 30" inseam and even called YT. YT said get a medium, which I did. The dropper was still too tall. So now I have a 125mm dropper on a medium, and a large would be a better fit. Not to mention I bought a $400 dropper for a $2400 bike and got $100 for the too tall e13 one.
    2018 YT Jeffsy AL 29
    2005 Felt F75 (roadie)
    1993 Specialized Stumpjumper FS (bar hopper)

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Seems like the theme is to go up when on the bubble for a yt? I’m between L and XL at 6’1” 32” inseam. You guys think XL is the way to go?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by burutoo View Post
    Seems like the theme is to go up when on the bubble for a yt? I’m between L and XL at 6’1” 32” inseam. You guys think XL is the way to go?
    Well it’s all about the top tube length. YT told me to get a medium because of concerns of my inseam fitting over the dropper on the large. Based off on riding other bikes I knew the frame on the medium was too short, and the large was just right for me at 5’9.5”... and somehow I fit over the dropper on the large no problem. I can’t imagine you and I riding the same size bike since you are 3.5-4 inches taller than me, so the XL sounds about right if I had to guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk