Why did you choose YT?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Why did you choose YT?

I really like YT's direct marketing and price point, but online reviews make me question: do they make great bikes or do they make great bikes for the price you pay? I guess the easiest way to ask the question is whether or not you'd buy a YT if you had to pay Ibis/SC/Yeti prices at a dealer?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twistagrip View Post
    I really like YT's direct marketing and price point, but online reviews make me question: do they make great bikes or do they make great bikes for the price you pay? I guess the easiest way to ask the question is whether or not you'd buy a YT if you had to pay Ibis/SC/Yeti prices at a dealer?
    I like my tues because it's very progressive leverage rate and I'm on the heavier side of the spectrum so the added support to button out is very comforting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Bikes

2015 Transition Patrol AL
    2016 YT Tues AL

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Iíve found yt bikes to be of equal quality in all regards to any other brand with similar build. Price was a huge plus but I love the way the Jeffsy way better than the spec stumpy I was considering for more than $1000 more.

mtbr member
    Quality is stellar. From packaging to end product. I heard this and it was part of my decision to buy the bike. My budget was around $4.5k for the bike. I considered building or getting a complete. After shopping around a lot I found it was hard to find a bike at or under $4.5k with better than mid-tier components. In my opinion it is hard to stomach spending around that amount of money with Deore brakes, metal bars/cranks and garbage tires. I bought a Jeffsy CF Pro and love every bit of kit. Now I would make a couple changes like 170 cranks over 175 and slightly wider bars but I'm getting used to both and I'm ok with a couple parts not being exactly what I would chose if that means i save ~$2k.

Personally i love the bike. The rear end design isn't ground braking but it's very good. Just know what you're getting into. It's very progressive so understand how that works with your size and terrain you ride. I'm ~175lbs. I have been riding some very rocky terrain recently and I can tell you it does really well with hard successive hits but not as well as my Rune (obviously). I was surprised at how well it performed though since I felt it woudl be rather harsh. My normal trails are your typical PNW trails. Dirt, roots, some rocks, well built, some flow, some gnar. The Jeffsy is a blast on these trails and never feels harsh. The progressive rear really makes the bike super playful. Needless to say i gap more and further than I do when I ride my Rune. I'm lucky enough to have both and they really compliment each other well.

mtbr member
    Jeffsy is very good quality. And customer support is very good too. I also like progressive suspension (being 225lbs). I do not usually bottom it out, but I use almost all the travel.
    More you beef it up, more it will handle like a cow....:skep:

bike rider
    Wheel size, travel, shock rate, geometry. I could have bought a Santa Cruz HTLT or Ibis Ripmo for the same price but liked the Capra 29 better. Better avilability would be nice. I've gotta do a bunch of part swapping on my Pro because the Pro Race isn't available.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    I really like my Jeffsy.
    Great design, good parts for the money and the progressive suspension.
    I'm not heavy, but the with the low BB it's better to have a not so plush rear.
    And the full carbon frame feels so comfortable.

I'm just glad that I didn't wait for the 2018 model and got the 2017 version.
    The specs and the frame colors this year are kind of meh.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I just got a Jeffsy to replace my aluminum 26er HT. I hadn't bought a new mountain bike in 10+ years and when I decided to look for a FS 29er trail bike the options were a little overwhelming. There are so many bikes in this category that it's hard to narrow it down, and for someone who doesn't have much experience with FS, the subtle differences between bikes are even harder to notice. I test rode some of the bigger brands but ultimately felt that YT offered way more value for the money I wanted to spend (under $3k), and the wealth of information and positive reviews on the bike made me confident that it would perform as well as any of the brands offered at my local shops (Trek, Specialized, Santa Cruz, Giant and Salsa). It was a bit of a leap buying it without riding it first but from everything I read I wasn't overly concerned.

Now that I have the bike I can honestly say the quality seems to be on par with any of the other brands I looked at or rode. The direct sale experience was great, the packing/shipping was impeccable, and so far the bike feels awesome. Obviously there's a little confirmation bias at play here and I think I would've been happy with any of the bikes I looked at, but I feel like I got way more for my money with YT and don't regret it for a second.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    If they cost as much as a Yeti I'd buy a Canyon or a Commencal. My favorite bike from the past was a Yeti 20 years ago too, but it seems silly to buy one these days for the price they charge. Same goes for Santa Cruz or any of the other "full price" bikes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately, getting a top end YT anytime soon seems to be an exercise in futility. I thought I'd jump on a YT CFPR to keep at a vacation home in CO, but the only bike I'd buy that's not sold out is a Capra 27.5 CFPR, and it's not available til Aug!! And, judging by other threads, those "available" dates are about as solid as a post-Taco Bell crap. It's a shame they didn't forecast sales worth a hoot. Probably lost a customer that would have bought a bike or two each year.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately, getting a top end YT anytime soon seems to be an exercise in futility. I thought I'd jump on a YT CFPR to keep at a vacation home in CO, but the only bike I'd buy that's not sold out is a Capra 27.5 CFPR, and it's not available til Aug!! And, judging by other threads, those "available" dates are about as solid as a post-Taco Bell crap. It's a shame they didn't forecast sales worth a hoot. Probably lost a customer that would have bought a bike or two each year.
    Isnt that how you create demand....

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by HamburglerTRO View Post
    Isnt that how you create demand....
    I think we went to different business schools.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I think we went to different business schools.
    Perhaps,regardless YT has increased sales year over year and they sell out fairly quickly....so theyre doing something right.

I think people become bitter with a brand when they dont meet demand for their product.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Curious about this brand and other buy directs. Not in the market today but the next rig is highly likely to be buy direct.

On selling out, they must feel good about it to a degree. The bike industry overall is stagnate to declining sales. EBikes are selling hot. I can see a brand entering a new market not wanting to risk a ton of unsold inventory. Eventually, probably sooner than later the medium sized brandís like SC Yeti will go buy direct. When others can match the price it will get really interesting.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by HamburglerTRO View Post
    I think people become bitter with a brand when they dont meet demand for their product.
    Nail. On. The head!

You can be Ferrari and set a production limit because they have the brand recognition, demand, and make crazy margins. YT ainít Ferrari. They need riders on their bikes to promote their superior product (if it truly is). Not having inventory to meet demand in these formative years is a huge mistake according to most economic models.

To be clear, Iím not a troll trying to disparage YT - I was set on buying 2 Capra 29 CFPRs - one for home and one for CO. However, within a week or so of the bikeís debut, they were sold out til July and a week or two after that sold out, period. You could say I should have sh$t or got off the pot, but buying $10,500 worth of bikes in February whenís itís snowing and 10 out, it seemed to be jumping the gun a bit, especially for a brand new bike that only the media had ridden at that point.

Oh well, you snooze you lose, but you can still bitch about it.

Danger Zone
    I went with the Jeffsy for a number of reasons. For starters it caught my eye when it won trail bike of the year. Then I started doing a bit of research and liked just about everything I had heard about it; it seemed like it fit my riding style and budget well.

Unfortunately when I was looking for a new bike in 2017 the Jeffsy 29ers were all out of stock, so I ended up spending more money on a Specialized Enduro 29. It was a good bike, but not really what I was looking for. Just about when I was looking to sell it the 2018 Jeffsys were announced and I hopped on it as soon as they became available.

A few months later I am still smiling ear to ear about the bike. I couldn't be any happier with my purchase. Would I buy something else if it was the same price? I don't know... I'm sure I'd be tempted just for the bigger brand name. I'd be lying if I said I'm not a bit envious of people who own Santa Cruz or Yeti bikes just because they look nice and I know they're big $$$$. But as far as performance and overall fun factor I really can't think of anything that the Jeffsy is lacking regardless of price.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I have not bought one yet, but it is going to be my next bike hopefully this summer. I was deciding between the capra AL 29, Transition Sentinel NX, and 2018 Enduro Comp. All very similar bikes. I currently ride a 2015 Enduro Comp. It comes down to value for me. At the price point, the base Capra AL gives me a Lyrik, super deluxe, and code brakes. I also prefer Shimano drivetrain over SRAM. The other two bikes get me Yari, guide/level T, SRAM 11-speed. Capable, but for less money I can have a much better spec and one closer to what I prefer.

Also, I kind of went back and forth on direct vs lbs. I really want to support the shop that is in my neighborhood with a bike purchase. In the end it just didn't make sense to me. I can't afford to spend $3000usd on something I'm not totally into. I'll still try to support him with suspension rebuilds and bearing replacements I suppose.

bike rider
    The shop will make more profit doing labor for you and selling the random part than they would have on a $3000 bike.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Talked to YT today - as expected, the Capra is sold out til 2019 (I was hoping they'd answer demand and build more), so I bought a Jeffsy 29 CFPR - I guess I'll love it or hate it. F#$k it. If it's not enough bike for my vacation home, I'll get a Capra next Spring and bring the Jeffsy back home (PA). Man, the release of the Pivot Firebird 29 really put me in a bind today, but I let the frugal half of me override the materialistic half.

There's nothing like pulling a bike out of a box and building it up (however little you actually build nowadays) yourself - can't wait!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    How do people view the quality of the YT carbon frames compared to other companies? The price is really attractive but am nervous about the frame.

mtbr member
    I dont have YT yet, but I think a Jeffsy 29 will be my next bike. I got to demo the Jeffsy 27 and 29 at local bike park. I've demo high end bikes from Santa Cruz, Ibis, Giant, Yeti and the Jeffsies provided just as much fun. And the prices are impossible to beat!

Question for YT owners. Have any of you brought your YT to a bike shop for service? What's the general reaction to mailorder bikes? I'm pretty loyal guy to my LBS, but I feel like I've given them plenty of money from sales and services.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    My LBS was stoked to check it out. Nothing but positive responses. After all... I still spend a lot of money there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Talked to YT today - as expected, the Capra is sold out til 2019 (I was hoping they'd answer demand and build more), so I bought a Jeffsy 29 CFPR - I guess I'll love it or hate it. F#$k it. If it's not enough bike for my vacation home, I'll get a Capra next Spring and bring the Jeffsy back home (PA). Man, the release of the Pivot Firebird 29 really put me in a bind today, but I let the frugal half of me override the materialistic half.

There's nothing like pulling a bike out of a box and building it up (however little you actually build nowadays) yourself - can't wait!
    I have a Jeffsy 29 and I feel like it is a lot of bike compared to its specs on paper. Handles big hits and bumpy downhills well, PLUS it's light compared to its competitors and pedals and climbs great too.

As far as the LBS, mine was psyched to hear about it, told me to bring it in so he could check it out. I apologized for not buying from him and he told me not to worry at all about it. He gets it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Len Baird View Post
    I have a Jeffsy 29 and I feel like it is a lot of bike compared to its specs on paper. Handles big hits and bumpy downhills well, PLUS it's light compared to its competitors and pedals and climbs great too.

As far as the LBS, mine was psyched to hear about it, told me to bring it in so he could check it out. I apologized for not buying from him and he told me not to worry at all about it. He gets it.
    yeah it's hard to argue with saving literally over a thousand dollars.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    A thousand? I felt like I saved $2-3k with my CFPR vs a comparably specd SC or Ibis or Pivot.

mtbr member
    Compare the Jeffsy CF 29 spec with the Santa Cruz Hightower XE edition. Similar specs. But price difference? $3500 vs $5500. I can't think of anything on that Hightower that justifies $2000 price difference.

https://us.yt-industries.com/shopwar...&sCategory=511

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/s...NjQ2F0MTAwMTYw

mtbr member
    I think any jeffsy is about 2 k savings over other brands like SC or Yeti. Or specialized. And quality does not suffer. Neither than support. Neither than customer service.
    And to be honest. Iíd rather get my bike out of the box and build it myself. Than get it allready assembled.
    More fun this way
    Had my Jeffsy CF1 29 for 6 months. Just went over 900 miles on the ride today. Had couple issues with components but they got taken care of quickly. Bike is light. Stuff nimble. And fun.
    I recently rode Yeti SB5.5. It was different than Jeffsy. But itís different kind of bike. It was better at the bike park. But it was not 4 K better (its $7200 bike)
    Iíd love to have that yeti. But at some point I can just get Capra Pro. And I think it will pretty much handle same as 5.5. And Iíd still have enough money for new Jeffsy CF

Guy at local bike shop was excited to hear that I got Jeffsy.
    Guys at bike shops wheee I demoed Yeti weíre stoked just talking bikes at all. They service anything and everything. Including Capra on the day I was there.
    More you beef it up, more it will handle like a cow....:skep:

mtbr member
    I currently ride an Intense Recluse SL (and only because I bought the frame only and built it up with parts I already had) BUT if I had to buy another bike today, with cash up front... YT would be at the top of my list. Right along side of a Giant Trance/Reign and a Pivot Mach 5.5 or an Intense Carbine.

YT is hard to beat for the money IMO!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    From what I've read, pretty much every bike frame is made in the same Taiwan factory. What you are buying is the different geometry and specs on the components.

Yes I'm happy with my Jeffsy. I'm still a little bitter I had to swap out the dropper post for a shorter one even after I was told a medium frame would work for me. Now that the dropper is a 125, I'm sure a large frame would be a better fit. Oh well.

At least I got lucky and bought mine during the winter and didn't to wait for it.
    2018 YT Jeffsy AL 29
    2005 Felt F75 (roadie)
    1993 Specialized Stumpjumper FS (bar hopper)

bike pamper-er
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDogVT View Post
    How do people view the quality of the YT carbon frames compared to other companies? The price is really attractive but am nervous about the frame.
    My stock carbon capra is 32lbs size L with pedals (it's just the CF version, not cf pro or pro race) so it's not insanely light with this build, though the top end model is reportedly under 30lbs. But this bike is stiff as hell, knocking on it with my knuckle sounds like knocking on solid plastic (unlike knocking on road or XC bikes where you can hear that the frame is hollow). It also doesn't hurt that the paintjob (though boring on my specific model) seems mud-proof and very resistant to scratching or scuffing.
    Shorter seat tubes, taller droppers.
    Shorter chainstays, taller stacks.
    Shorter stems, taller BB's.

bike pamper-er
    If I had a choice between YT and any other premium brand, given they were all the same price, I'd still go YT. Besides BB height and maybe stack, every single measurement is how I would make a bike if I was in charge of the factory. it's also ultra-stiff, the rear suspension is insanely deep, supple and sensitive (even though it's super-progressive, it erases harsh terrain beneath it), the 250x70mm shock means the leverage ratio is super low so it doesn't have to be over-damped like most other brands tend to make their bikes, and it's the only bike company I know of that specs an e*thirteen cassette on it. The SC Nomad has almost identical geometry and every review I've read has said the nomad pedals better, but besides the threaded BB and perhaps better pedal-ability, I think the Capra has the edge on everything else. Oh, and it's also $1,400.00 cheaper than a carbon Nomad with a lower-end shock after taxes and shipping.
    Shorter seat tubes, taller droppers.
    Shorter chainstays, taller stacks.
    Shorter stems, taller BB's.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zimm View Post
    Yes I'm happy with my Jeffsy. I'm still a little bitter I had to swap out the dropper post for a shorter one even after I was told a medium frame would work for me. Now that the dropper is a 125, I'm sure a large frame would be a better fit. Oh well.
    I'm in the same boat on the dropper!! My Jeffsy AL size L came with a 150mm and it's minimum height is just too high. I'm a little over 6' tall, 30-31 inseam. I supposed if it were an XC bike and was okay riding at full extension the post would be close to okay. But I hate the feeling of that flag pole up my a$$ on trails. Currently have been riding it on the next notch down, always fumbling with it as it returns to full top in the too high position. Making an email request to YT to swap for a 125. Rode my buddys bike with a Bikeyoke Revive post...I may go this route if there is not good will on the swap.

Also I bought the Race Face Atlas pedals at check out, those fking things are dangerous! One developed some lateral play and assumed the shaft needed to be filed down as it was a known issue on the older ones, watched the youtube vid. I took it apart and found the internal screw that secures the pedal to the shaft had come loose. Tightened up, all good. Then the other pedal developed some play while riding in Flagstaff last week, thinking "oh I'll fix this when we get to the truck". The pedal actually came off the shaft!! Thankfully on a climb and happened slowly so was able to catch it not loose the set screw, on a downhill we'd be headed to court in a few months. I can't believe it completely came apart, $120 pedals? Luckily after the first repairs I bundled the 3 allen wrenches in my tool pack (trail multi tool is not long enough to service it).

In full disclosure, this was my first bike in 10 years and the first I actually spent on. I could not be happier with the bike overall. I added some 40mm renthal risers and a seat that fit me. I'm doing stuff on a bike (like pedaling up hills :-)) that I never thought possible. I have nothing to really compare to so now that I have some seat time it will be fun to demo some other brands. But I chose this particular bike based on what I thought I would like, ht angle, fork, shock, overall list of very decent components. I was more than fine with any assembly, I wrench on all my owns stuff and was good to get to know the bike in general. I also converted the non tubeless tires to tubeless via the ghetto method, been rock solid.

mtbr member
    I purchased mine for a few reasons, price, reviews and I wanted something a little different. Having ridden Specialized since 99 and most in my area riding the big name bikes (nothing at all wrong with that), I just wanted a change. I was real close to purchasing the new Stumpjumper EVO when I started looking for options in the $3-4K range. I was shocked to see I could possibly get a CF bike, never thought that was an option.
    Ordered my Jeffsy CF last week, just couldnít pass up the bike, components, price. I also saved a ton waiting for the holiday sales. Paid less, shipped to my door, donít have a run of the mill bike like everyone else = PRICELESS

Well I hope anyway, having never ridden one itís a bit of a gamble. Haha
    99 SJ Pro FSR XC
    15 SJFSR Comp EVO 650b
    18 YT Jeffsy 27 CF

Former United States Marine.
    ďBoredom is self inflictedĒ

mtbr member
    I got my Tues in 2015 after spending the summer demoing every DH bike I could get my hands on. Session, Glory, Demo, V10, Kona, TR500, Maiden, even a KHS something or other. Basically, they were all similar enough (except the V10 which I hated) that I didn't really care what I got. The Tues was $800 cheaper than anything else I was looking at (with similar parts).
    So I get one, never ridden it. Is it better than the others? No. Is it worse? I don't think so. It's certainly not holding their sponsored riders back.

It gets a lot, lot more attention than any of the mainstream, bike shop brands. I've never heard anyone ask a Specialized rider about their bike. Ever. Not even being polite and asking a buddy about their obviously new bike. For the first year I had the Tues, someone asked about it every time I took it out. It's died down a little bit, now that there are a few of them out there, but I would not get a YT unless you're prepared to talk to people about it.

On the strength of my experience with the Tues, and the fact that it's available in XXL, I just got a Capra 29. After nearly 30 years of riding, bikes finally are starting to come in adult sizes...
    If you're asking if it's the best bike in the world regardless of price, well probably not. But again, differences between one [modern] bike and the next are less significant that people make them out to be. I'd also question the intelligence of anyone that asks that question. It is less than half the price of a decently speced Firebird 29 or SB150. I've broken my last 3 frames (all a few years old at the time and out of warranty); I'll be much less upset when/if this one breaks compared to how upset I would be if I got a Firebird.