Whats the Jeffys 29 AL base like to ride?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Whats the Jeffys 29 AL base like to ride?

Lots of posts and reviews on the net about the carbon frame models, but almost nothing about the alu, and seeing as the alu version is basically the same geometry as the original Jeffys.

"Then the full aluminum Jeffsey AL Base drops in with a $2300 / 2300€ price tag featuring the three-year old, unchanged geometry of the original Jeffsey. The base is all about keeping costs down so it doesn’t evolve with the carbon bikes"

https://bikerumor.com/2019/01/11/chr...ey-trail-bike/

How do people like it? I will be riding lots of flowy, and tight singletrack, that's mostly flat, but also take it to bike parks, mostly Winterberg in Germany and then Morzine. Is it good for all day back country rides, can it handle dirt road climbs (not being the fastest obviously, but I also don't want to kill myself getting the bike up a climb to get to a trailhead).

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    There's plenty of reviews on 2018 and earlier 29er Jeffsy models. Only some components changed.

Danger Zone
    You can't get much better than the aluminum Jeffsy; certainly not for the price anyway. I have the 2018 base model and it's spec'd so well that there's really very little I would want to upgrade on it. It's a blast to ride. Does everything you'd want with ease; the geometry changes on the new carbon models look like it could make the bike less fun to ride, which is where the v1 Jeffsy really shines.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I have had the Jeffsy Al Comp since Thanksgiving but have only ridden it three time. Coming from a hard tail gets some getting used too. The last time I bought a dual suspension was 20years ago ( a Gary Fisher Joshua XO with a Manitou fork). I figured I was getting older and need something that would be easier on my boy. I was impressed with the specs and drop in price on Black Friday. I do not think you can go wrong writhing what YT is considering its budget bike. With the new geometry for the carbon models, the old model is not that much different than the Canyon Spectral or “new” Cannondale Habit.

mtbr member
    If your seriously looking at getting a Jeffsy, you should also consider a kona process 153.
    Jenson currently has them on blowout for $2K.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Kona-Process-153-Al-Bike-2018

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Looks like Kona is a good deal on discount from $2999 retail. My YT Comp AL was still better spec'd at retail of $2799 and a great deal at 2,199.

mr-many, what do think of the four bar design that puts the rear shock into the bottom bracket as opposed to the top or down tube?

mtbr member
    Ditto on the 153 recommendation...love mine (AL/DL version in 27.5). I paid $2300 a year ago. It's built like a tank and a great do it all bike.

A buddy just picked up Jeffsey AL Comp during Xmas and loves it after 5-6 rides. Has done some tweaking on the fork (Pike) but getting it dialed in. His came with the e13 cassette and a 32T chainring which was a bit stout for some of the punchy climbs and tight technical terrain we have. We changed to a 30T and he's much happier.

He came from a 2011 Spec Stump Jumper FSR (29)...it was a 'needy bitch' and there was always something wrong (endless shock issues, hub/wheel issues, etc). It was nearly impossible to get parts or upgrade to an improved aftermarket components due to the 'specialized' way of having things designed specifically for their bike. Dealers were USELESS in helping solve issues and thinking outside the box. Their answer was always 'sorry, this is discontinued but you can upgrade to this more current model'. Nice bikes but he is DONE with Specialized for that reason (and I won't buy one either).
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...:thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Your buddy's experience sounds like a reason to not worry so much about buying a bike with an on-line retailer. I had the same experience of a LBS advising me that it could not do warranty work on a Cannondale as it became a Trek dealer. The LBS did, however, work with me in finding a third party vendor to help overhaul a Lefty fork that was due for service anyway.

mtbr member
    Been on the 27.5 Jeffsy AL since Sept '18...absolutely love it. My buddy rides a 29 bike and definitely rolls better. Anyone ridden both the 27 and 29 Jeffsy back to back?

mtbr member
    To the OP, looking at the specs on the 29 Jeffsy Al compared to the Kona mentioned above, that Kona looks like a smoking deal. Definitely would do that Rock Shox suspension over the Fox Float stuff...more opportunity to improve the RS stuff. The Fox is very firm and playful, but found it very harsh over slower trail trash...which is where I'm at. I found a RS super deluxe RC3 for the rear and an MRP Ribbon coil for the front...for my 2018 Jeffsy AL.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubikin View Post
    mr-many, what do think of the four bar design that puts the rear shock into the bottom bracket as opposed to the top or down tube?
    I read that the bottom bracket orientation keeps weight low, which would be a good thing.
    Only FS experience is on a 19 stumpy ST = no help, sorry.

It irritates me that the new Jeffsey Alloy wasn't redesigned this year.

Maybe it's a good thing?
    Watched a review where they actually preferred last years design...said it was more playful.

bikeradar review
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVJ055hGdVk
    Last edited by mr_manny; 01-16-2019 at 02:48 PM.