Water collecting in '19 Jeffsy frame- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2018

Water collecting in '19 Jeffsy frame

I've doing some work on my E13 dropper that is giving me trouble. I removed the post from the frame today to discover quite a bit of moisture collecting on the post inside the frame.
    After removing the post altogether I flipped the bike over and some water - probably a few cc - dripped out. I'm guessing its coming through the cable holes or perhaps around the pivots. Is this an issue?
    I was guess there's a hole somewhere at the bottom to let the water out... I can't seem to fit it though.

I'm running a '19 CF Pro.

Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    I wasn't able to find one either. I did notice the bolts that hold the lower frame protector. I wonder if that would be a way of periodically draining it.

Definitely seems undesirable. Don't know if it's an issue.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Upon closer inspection I did actually find a small 2mm diameter hole in the lowest point of the frame. Going to make a point of poking it open every time I’ve had a wet or dirty ride. Hopefully that’ll help.

I have noticed that the quality of the stainless steel bolts on the bike are of subpar quality. Almost all of them are showing signs of rust. Just some examples: bolts holding the lower frame protector. Top bolt of the rear shock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Yes, there is a hole right in front of BB, but it's not enough. This hole will drain water that is stuck in front triangle, but that water would not be an issue.
    What actually is an issue:
    Water gets in to the frame near where seatpost meets seat tube. From there it drains to the bottom bracket area, and stays there. It can not drain from there to the front triangle where little hole is.
    As water sits there, it rusts out the BB bearings. Mine were corroded after 6 months and 800 miles (I do not ride in wet conditions, it's all from washing the bike I guess).

There should be a hole in the BB shell itself!

I think only way to drain it, would be to flip the bike up side down for an hour or so after wash so water can come out the same way it got in....
    More you beef it up, more it will handle like a cow....:skep:

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Just wondering how the water is getting in? The seat tube collar is pretty tight normally...?

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    My 2020 Jeffsy has a rubber seal around the post at the collar. Was this new in ‘20 or is it on the ‘19 as well and just not effective?

mtbr member
    There is no rubber seal on 2019 jeffsy.

I just looked at mine, and only two ways I could see water get in would be through little vertical gap in the top of seat tube (but that's tight against the dropper body), or through the plastic collar holding rear brake cable coming out of the seat tube. That seems to have little bit of opening.
    NOt really sure how, but I know it did get in there...
    More you beef it up, more it will handle like a cow....:skep:

mtbr member
    My 18 CF had the same issue, compounding the issue is the press fit BB92 bottom bracket with the plastic shell. This shell takes up all the room in the BB that possibly could allow water around and out the hole in the frame. My BB92 was trashed in short order and I don’t ride in wet conditions.

1- I replaced my BB with enduro bearings with no shell so in theory water should slip past.
    2- I now flip all my bikes after washing for a bit and always see water dripping out of the seat tube area. So I would suggest flipping them upside down a bit.
    Current fleet
    18 YT Jeffsy 27 CF
    Evil Following MB

Former United States Marine.
    “Boredom is self inflicted”

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by mfacey View Post
    I have noticed that the quality of the stainless steel bolts on the bike are of subpar quality. Almost all of them are showing signs of rust.
    Stainless steel is just that....stainLESS. It is not rust PROOF.