Unidentified piece!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2018

Unidentified piece!

Hi guys! Got the bike in 2019 AL Comp 29er! Beautiful bike. After assembly I found that in lowest gear, pedaling backwards the chain will bunch up so to speak on one link then catch, also- I found a small rubber plug if you will in the packaging. Please attached photos! Iím gonna start working on some derraileur screws to see if I can adjust but not sure which yet. I believe the plug is the shadow+ Plate cap but it doesnít fit into the hole snuggly?

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Unidentified piece!-1d973c73-2a5d-44fc-a237-4b16d2c87eef.jpgUnidentified piece!-2b69f0b9-4eee-419b-9f0e-3d60780dc305.jpgUnidentified piece!-0d3976e8-ceeb-4012-a22f-0b2a5df99964.jpg

Second chain is how it site after bunch up and while freewheeling fine
    First is the chain bunch up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    What model? You said comp so im assuming this is a specialized.

Some brands use rubber plugs to plug up chainguard threaded holes.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    No this is YT forum; I am sorry itís the Jeffsy AL Comp 29íer.
    May tinker with the derraileur screws, it seems to stop if I apply outward pressure on chain before it hits the smallest cog. Itís only on that small cog that it does this pedaling backwards- Iím fine to ignore but donít want it to cause any problems

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Ah ok do they plug the chainguard screws? Does it have a chainguard mounted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2018
    No chainguard; it just has the clutch system- it seems to catch with or without clutch engagement. Possible a link too long on chain? I may not do anything as it doesnít affect any other gear and the low I may not use often. The little rubber plug bothers me more as it could be the plate cap which it states in manual to install prior to first ride. Maybe a seal against external dust or something?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MPFit View Post
    Hi guys! Got the bike in 2019 AL Comp 29er! Beautiful bike. After assembly I found that in lowest gear, pedaling backwards the chain will bunch up so to speak on one link then catch, also- I found a small rubber plug if you will in the packaging. Please attached photos! Iím gonna start working on some derraileur screws to see if I can adjust but not sure which yet. I believe the plug is the shadow+ Plate cap but it doesnít fit into the hole snuggly?

Plug looks like a rubber plug from SRAM brakes bleeding port (see if one caliper has it and other does not).
    Chain will bunch up in easiest gear while pedaling backwards for more than couple of turns. There is nothing that can be done. Sometimes it takes less and sometime it takes more crank revolutions ... There is no derailleur to guide it as it is while pedaling forward.

It will get better after chain breaks in. New one is pretty stiff.

Limits and indexing were set pretty good on mine from factory, but it doesn't hurt to double check them. This will only make a difference while pedaling forward though
    More you beef it up, more it will handle like a cow....:skep:

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobiemario View Post
    Plug looks like a rubber plug from SRAM brakes bleeding port (see if one caliper has it and other does not).
    Chain will bunch up in easiest gear while pedaling backwards for more than couple of turns. There is nothing that can be done. Sometimes it takes less and sometime it takes more crank revolutions ... There is no derailleur to guide it as it is while pedaling forward.

It will get better after chain breaks in. New one is pretty stiff.

Limits and indexing were set pretty good on mine from factory, but it doesn't hurt to double check them. This will only make a difference while pedaling forward though
    Thanks Iíll check the bleed ports! I did recheck limits and theyíre fine. Very happy with bike canít wait to hit trail. Got suspension setup and practicing my manual and bunny hops as itís so different than my old hardtail lol

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MPFit View Post
    Thanks Iíll check the bleed ports! I did recheck limits and theyíre fine. Very happy with bike canít wait to hit trail. Got suspension setup and practicing my manual and bunny hops as itís so different than my old hardtail lol
    Mine was loose too - its for the brake caliper.

mtbr member
    Yeah. Bike is great. Go ride and have fun. I just hit 1100 miles on mine since December
    no issues with YT part of bike. I broke rear axle. But that was design flaw. E13 replaced wheel under warranty. Same thing with Turbine dropper.
    More you beef it up, more it will handle like a cow....:skep: