So I asked YT about the feasibility of a Jeffsy at 120kg- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

So I asked YT about the feasibility of a Jeffsy at 120kg

So I asked YT about the feasibility of a Jeffsy at 120kg, and here's the response.

It's quite detailed, good, and long. If you're a much more reasonable Clyde then I think it's fantastic proof of the kind of service to expect from them.

Hope this helps...

--

Hello David,

Thank you for your mail and your interest in our products.

I talked to my colleagues from the Workshop to clarify if a big man like you could ride a JEFFSY.

The focus on the question wether you could ride such a bike or not isn't on the frame, as the frame has a clearance for your weight, but on the components.

If you really want to ride a 29er, we would recommend you to buy an aluminium version, because the CF models have lightweight components. BUT:

The DT-Swiss wheels on our aluminium frames have a clearance up to 110 kg. But we need to keep in mind that the bike itself weights about 12 kg, and when you're standing on the bike with all the equipment needed (helmet, protectors, backpack etc.) you will definitively be over the limit of this clearance.

So you definitively would have to change those wheels to hand spoked wheels which could take more weight/pressure at a local bike shop.

Basically you can ride a bike like this with changed components, but keep in mind, that the possiblity of failures of the components depend on your riding style.
    They could take a basic ride with not so much action and a good riding technique, but when you go fast and push the components to the limit, you would have a higher possibility of breaking something on the bike which could lead to injuries.
    Also the 29' wheels don't have the same stiffness as a 27.5' or 26' wheel.

The other components we have to keep in mind are the fork and the shock.

Rock Shox air shock components have a clearance up to 120 kg riders max..
    So please keep in mind, that by always using them at the limit of their clearance, failures or damages could occour more frequently than when rider with 75 kg would use them. This also fully depends on the riding style and the overall riding technique.

Mistakes in riding technique (when landing a jump for example or in technical sections) can always lead to damages on the components, no matter how heavy a rider might be, but with your weight category those damages could occur easier.

We also talked about the possiblity of a CAPRA for you. The Capra has smaller enduro wheels and they have a clearance of 130 kg and more stiffness that a 29' wheel (DT Swiss E 1900). But this bike could be too much for your prefered riding style and you have to decide this on our own.

I really hope this information is helpful to you.

Falls du noch weitere Fragen hast, dann zögere bitte nicht, uns erneut zu kontaktieren.
    If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate, to contact us again.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
    best regards,

Christoph P.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Why not just go with a proven FS bike from Santa Cruz, Yeti, Evil, Transisition...etc? Also, carbon fiber at your weight is not the first choice imho. There is close to zero benefit if you aren't a weight weanie.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Interesting that they are suggesting 27.5 or 26 inch wheels may be a better choice for heavier riders. This makes sense to me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    Why not just go with a proven FS bike from Santa Cruz, Yeti, Evil, Transisition...etc? Also, carbon fiber at your weight is not the first choice imho. There is close to zero benefit if you aren't a weight weanie.
    Boredom, and curiosity. And lust.

That said Evil and Canfield told me I'm too heavy for their bikes.

I'm probably going with a Banshee, possibly a Transition. I'm meeting with the LBS next week or so.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I really don't know your height or terrain, but banshee makes some very good bikes. I had a Banshee Prime and I doubt if they EVER had a warranty claim for a broken frame...BEEFY BEEFY BEEFY! I know their other 29er is supposed to be awesome as well, just not as much travel and not as stout.

Check out Santa Cruz tallboys too, well documented beefy frames. Leverage ratio of the rear is going to be important for a large fella.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by schnee View Post
    Boredom, and curiosity. And lust.

That said Evil and Canfield told me I'm too heavy for their bikes.

I'm probably going with a Banshee, possibly a Transition. I'm meeting with the LBS next week or so.
    Go with the Patrol, man! You'll never regret it! Of course you likely wouldn't ever regret any of these others either, hehe.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You can always try a Devinci.
    I am 133.8Kg and the fact that not only is the frame STIFF, but it also comes with a lifetime warranty. I still lust for a Evil, but i think Devinci ticked all the boxes that earned itself a new home.

mtbr member
    Seems like the frames will hold up...its the components that may not.

mtbr member
    Carbon as a frame material is more than just about the weight and maybe a FS bike is different...but in general there should not be an issue for someone the weight of the OP riding a carbon frame. I am heavier and own/ride three different carbon framed bikes and no one single frame related issue in more than 2 years of riding on carbon.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

mtbr member
    thanks for posting up the reply it was interesting

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Carbon as a frame material is more than just about the weight and maybe a FS bike is different...but in general there should not be an issue for someone the weight of the OP riding a carbon frame. I am heavier and own/ride three different carbon framed bikes and no one single frame related issue in more than 2 years of riding on carbon.
    Not saying carbon doesn't have its place in the world, but there are a lot of better places for carbon than on a fs under a heavy rider.

Plus press fit bottom bracket. **** that **** you **** no ****ing never

mtbr member
    That's why I said maybe FS is different...as in I don't know. I completely know nothing about FS bikes as I have no interest in them at this point. All three of my carbon bikes are HT. Well...HT mountain and a CX bike and a road bike. And an aluminum frame with rigid carbon fork. All PF BB and all perform flawlessly under my 280 pounds except the carbon fork...I get quite a bit of rotor rub on that one when I hammer on climbs or take turns too fast and get some flex.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Looks like great customer service right there!

Cactus Cuddler
    I really did enjoy that response - thoughtful, reasoned, and realistically probably really accurate. From the perspective of an engineer, us bigger guys get a frankly different experience when riding a bike, and a lot of it comes down to how components react under peak dynamic loads that can be comfortably 600lb higher than smaller riders can impart.

To me, that sounds like a green light for a frame-up build. Only downside is that price will put that somewhere near the Hightower, and there's always the siren song of the 5.5c in the same travel regime.

If Transition or Devinci would roll out a longer travel 29er (the Smuggler and Hendrix29 all look great, but I'm not going back to an all mountain bike running less than 150mm fork travel)

What I really wish is if they could offer an ala-carte package type thing, where Clydes could basically skip over the wheelset, or just make some substitutions from the same vendors with some added lead time.

Finally, If I could order a Jeffsy with a 160mm Fox36, RF SixC where it's NextSL, and 30mm XM1501 Spline wheels - I'd happily pay that silly premium because I'd be money ahead with that as a starting point. Maybe throw a FloatX2 w/ climb lever on it.

Also, they could just offer that as the Pro Race version. With that spec. If anybody at YT, or the US Distributor sees this - please do exactly that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sickboy6913 View Post
    You can always try a Devinci.
    I am 133.8Kg and the fact that not only is the frame STIFF, but it also comes with a lifetime warranty. I still lust for a Evil, but i think Devinci ticked all the boxes that earned itself a new home.
    Which one? Or all of them made Clyde tough?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by avidthrasher View Post
    Go with the Patrol, man! You'll never regret it! Of course you likely wouldn't ever regret any of these others either, hehe.
    It does look great, but I can't hang with 27.5, I'm too addicted to wagon wheels. The terrain here is also pretty flat, so I think it would make me over-biked.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I ride a Spartan, but i am also mulling over pulling the trigger on building a Django for more mellow trails, or swapping over to a Troy. I was told that they are both very similar in stiffness. But if you are stuck on wanting wagon wheels, Devinci has nothing currently fitting your needs…. I guess i didn't put 2 and 2 together that you want a 29er… But IF you do change your mind or get a chance to demo any of listed bikes (Transition, Banshee, Devinci ect…)you might want to take up the chance….

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    130kg here and I ride 29 and don't have any issues. I ride Stans Flow EX laced to Hopes and I am a happy camper.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    This begs the question, what's your riding style? Pure XC or rugged All Mountain? Do you jump at all or take drops?

mtbr member
    hi schnee,

have you considered one of the kona process bikes? i'd be surprised if they would not offer clearance for your weight.

curious...
    rynee

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Hey,

All good options suggested on bikes and I think you have made a good choice going with YT.

My brother has a Capra and I have an ibis hd3 and I will never pay big money for a bike again.

On the weight issue my suggestion would be to say to yourself I'm going to diet and hit the gym and target a weight of 105kg with your reward being a shiny new BIKE!

No better motivation in my view.

Good luck man.
    Neil

mtbr member
    That was a well reasoned reply. Good job YT.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Kona Process ^^ 134 :FTW: I would also recommend the 111, but I've read somewhere they're flexi out back.

134 is stiff and burly... I bounce around between 105-108 kgs (use to be 115), and the 134 is waggle free ^^

If I were more major Enduro/AM (rather than middle of the road)... a burlier fork would be needed (on my '14 non dl)

Just need to save up/win the lottery & I'll get a better fork o_0

Get a Kona, bikes were made for us bigger guys...

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"