Review of my new YT Jeffsy CF PRO 29er- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2018

Review of my new YT Jeffsy CF PRO 29er

First a little about the rider:

I consider myself an intermediate rider. I am 46yrs old 220lbs and ride mostly in Southern California lots of hard pack here.

Been riding a Giant Trance advance 2 for the last two years.
    Before buying I test rode the following for comparison

Santa Cruz HT LT
    Santa Cruz Nomad
    Yeti SB6
    Orbea Rallon
    Specialized S-Works

I've been riding a 140mm/140mm trail bike so I was planning to go to an enduro style 160mm/160mm but was talked out of it and I'm glad I went with the 140mm travel trail bike.

Climbing:

Bike climbs great it was a noticeable difference over my Giant. Mostly in my opinion because of the suspension. It locks out great and makes for a stiff ride with just the right amount of give on single track climbing. However, most of the longer travel 160mm I test rode above also climbed equally as well. Please keep in mind I climb at a fairly slow pace as to not be blown out cardio wise when I get to the top. A younger more fit rider might have better input here but for me I put a 28 t ring on and love the climbing.
    Huge fan of the 29er over the 27.5 for climbing you can tell the difference. No problem with switchbacks or tight turns while climbing the geometry clears everything it wasn't an issue.

Downhill lovin:

Really quick spin up as soon as you point it down much faster than my Giant. VERY fun to ride and this is why I am glad I did not go to an enduro suspension. It pops off everything on the trail, you just cant help yourself with jumping off everything. I've never had to focus so hard on whats 30ft in front of me before but with this bike you have to it's so quick and playful.

Suspension:

Massive change over my old suspension was really easy to setup the sag. And was amazing the difference over my old bike it sucked up the smaller bumps fantastic. I couldn't be happier with Fox suspension. With normal setup I still cant feel I have bottomed out the shock. I am using all the travel but you just cant tell that its bottomed out its so progressive.

Cons:

Seat sucks and had to be replaced right away so uncomfortable!
    Cut off all circulation to my balls not good!

32t gear yikes! the granny gear destroyed me with a 32t front gear had to drop to a 28t and I am liking that much better. If you change your front sprocket remember to remove 1-2 links on the chain otherwise shifting issues occur.

Overall I've rode over 12 different bikes this last year several I didn't mention being that they are older but I can honestly say this bike is the best one of them all. Top it off with a price tag that is literally thousands less and you really cant go wrong.

Enjoy!

BoneDaddy

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Thanks a lot for your feedback. but could you please tell us more about your feelings between the Rallon and the Jeffsy. Was it the new rallon or the previous model?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Nice review! What sag % did you find comfortable for the rear? I'm still trying to dial mine in.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoneDaddy71 View Post
    Cons:

Seat sucks and had to be replaced right away so uncomfortable!
    Cut off all circulation to my balls not good!
    Those SDG saddles are pure evil.
    Worst saddle I've ever had and they are not even cheap.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Nahu: Yes it was a brand new Orbea Rallon size large. I rode 3 bikes that day the other two were a Santa Cruz Hightower LT and a Yeti SB6. The Rallon climbed the worse but when I say worse it was still a very capable climber just not quite as smooth and nice as the other two.
    Descending however was really nice super plush very comfy. However, I was kinda looking for the best of both worlds. I want a great climber AND a great descender right!
    Thats why YT was the bike for me

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by MudderNutter View Post
    Nice review! What sag % did you find comfortable for the rear? I'm still trying to dial mine in.
    I went with 35% sag rear mostly because i weigh 220lbs and the suspension handles the small and medium bumps really nice when you're more into the travel. I have not messed with spacers yet so I dunno it could get even better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by BoneDaddy71 View Post
    Nahu: Yes it was a brand new Orbea Rallon size large. I rode 3 bikes that day the other two were a Santa Cruz Hightower LT and a Yeti SB6. The Rallon climbed the worse but when I say worse it was still a very capable climber just not quite as smooth and nice as the other two.
    Descending however was really nice super plush very comfy. However, I was kinda looking for the best of both worlds. I want a great climber AND a great descender right!
    Thats why YT was the bike for me
    Thanks a lot for this clear answer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Hi Bonedad, any update on your Jeffsy CF Pro 29er? How are you liking it? I'm considering this bike (among the others you listed). Would you make the same choice today if you did it again?
    do you mind me asking your height and What size bike you went with? Im between L and XL and without demoing am finding it hard to decide which size to go with.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I am also considering the same bike but wonder if the 19’s are gonna rollout as other manufacturers bikes are out!

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Good point. Does yt discount previous years models at all?

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by YTrider View Post
    I am also considering the same bike but wonder if the 19’s are gonna rollout as other manufacturers bikes are out!
    I'm in the same boat, was very close to buying this years model but figured I'd wait. I spoke to YT and they said they will have more information in a month or 2 about the new 2019 model.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by burutoo View Post
    Good point. Does yt discount previous years models at all?
    I believe so, but that's if there are any left over stock.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I called today. They said no news on any changes and the new bikes wouldn’t likely be out until the beginning of the new year. That seems to be the case with the 2018. I believe I read they came out in January of 18. I also asked about promotions and he indicated if there were any they would be announced on social media sites and would be around the holidays or Black Friday. Perhaps 10%.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    I'm hoping 2019 will be a completely new model since the current jeffsy has been out since 2016. There seems to be some bargains on the AUS YT outlet but I figured I might as well wait and see what the new model brings and if it isn't to my liking I'll go for the 2018 model. I'm even thinking CAPRA as well depending on whats available at the time I guess.

EDIT: I was told by AUS YT that they'd receive 2019 jeffsys around early feb.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by YTrider View Post
    I called today. They said no news on any changes and the new bikes wouldn’t likely be out until the beginning of the new year. That seems to be the case with the 2018. I believe I read they came out in January of 18. I also asked about promotions and he indicated if there were any they would be announced on social media sites and would be around the holidays or Black Friday. Perhaps 10%.
    Thanks for contacting them and posting their response. Guess I’ll be waiting too.