Rear Travel upgrades on Capra or Jeffsy- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2019

Rear Travel upgrades on Capra or Jeffsy

Hi all

I am looking into YT bikes and had a question that you gurus may be able to answer.

I've noticed that depending on the build, you can get +10mm rear travel on both the Capra and Jeffsy.

My question is - can you change a lower spec build to match the increased rear travel of the CF Pro Race builds? So say I buy the AL Comp Capra, can I change it to 170 rear? I am assuming it's the same bike, and a change in the shock is all thats needed?

mtbr member
    Yes - by changing to a shock with longer stroke as the eye to eye length is the same. Recently sold my 210x55 from my Pro Race Jeffsy to someone that previously had a 210x50. He went from 140 to 150mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Professional MTBR Member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by kre62 View Post
    Hi all

I am looking into YT bikes and had a question that you gurus may be able to answer.

I've noticed that depending on the build, you can get +10mm rear travel on both the Capra and Jeffsy.

My question is - can you change a lower spec build to match the increased rear travel of the CF Pro Race builds? So say I buy the AL Comp Capra, can I change it to 170 rear? I am assuming it's the same bike, and a change in the shock is all thats needed?
    The 29ers have 10mm less travel than the 27.5 bikes to prevent the tires from rubbing the frame.

The travel you lose in the 29er is made up for in the larger wheels, which roll over stuff more easily.

I wouldn't bother swapping out the shock, as there won't be much difference. You can easily make a shock feel more plush by dropping the pressure a few lbs and adding a volume spacer. Similar deal with the front.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Answer is yes on both versions of the Jeffsy frame and both 29er and 27.5. The "Pro Race" spec just uses a longer stroke shock (50-55mm 29er and 60-65mm in 27.5) with the same eye to eye. Static geometry remains the same, if you run the same sag as % you will be slightly lower @ sag but effectively you are just gaining end stroke travel. Not much of a downside to do this in combo with bumping fork travel by 10mm. I would only do this if your terrain demands it.

mtbr member
    Bikes were designed around the Pro Race versions so frames designed to be run at the longer travel. Iíve increased the travel on both my Capra 27.5 & 29 CF Comps (and switched to coil). Probably overkill 90% of the time but the bike still climbs quite well for what it is and makes for increased fun at the bike park!