Pressfit BB issues?- Mtbr.com
    sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Pressfit BB issues?

Seriously considering a YT but have had my share of pressfit issues in the past.

Any issues on the YT?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    So close to perfection with the new Capra. Why, oh why is there a press fit BB??? It's like YT missed the memo that everyone else read as we thankfully move back to threads.

I too have had enough issues with PF 30 and 92 that it is an automatic elimination.

Sigh...

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'm kind of with you.

I can get over the bottle mount. But press fit is just a shit idea

mtbr member

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Hmmmm...

This looks easier to service but 1/2 is still a press fit.

Creaks are the devil.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by In2falling View Post
    That's a start but in my experience those designs will eventually creak unless you are easy on bikes. I was about to start gluing that type of BB to the frame before I came to my senses and sold the bike.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I agree...better but really a bandaid

mtbr member
    May 2005

Pressfit BB issues?

The people have spoken and they want threaded BBs. Add YT to the endless list of manufactures that continue not to listen (Pivot, Turner, Intense, Yeti etc.). Good bike I'm sure but it'll never be great with that PF sh!t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    agreed that PF sucks but YT checks ALL the other boxes and at a the best value. I'm looking at all the PF solutions now to prepare myself for my new Jeffsy
    [COLOR="Black"]HARDMTNBIKER on Instagram

Seven Sola SLX ENVE MTN SS
    Sir9 Carbon Niner SS
    #1gearallyear #Iridemtn

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    It also does not check the water bottle box either which is why I am looking elsewhere despite the great value.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Why don't they change, the frames are cheaper to make.

Danger Zone
    Loctite retaining compound. Problem solved.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldFly View Post
    Loctite retaining compound. Problem solved.
    Nope...BTDT

bike rider
    I've had 2 Scotts with BB92 and Raceface's Cinch BB (same as what my Capra comes with). No problems but if your weather is harsh on BBs the bearings will wear out a little earlier than the bigger bearings on BSA or PF30.
    Again, NO PROBLEMS. Well executed press fit BB92 works just fine. Also, it's cheaper and lighter.
    Keep the Country country.

hands up who wants to die
    Incoming Capra will be my first experience with press fit. Any tips on maintenance, preventative or otherwise?

Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    I've had 2 Scotts with BB92 and Raceface's Cinch BB (same as what my Capra comes with). No problems but if your weather is harsh on BBs the bearings will wear out a little earlier than the bigger bearings on BSA or PF30.
    Again, NO PROBLEMS. Well executed press fit BB92 works just fine. Also, it's cheaper and lighter.
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by rpet View Post
    Incoming Capra will be my first experience with press fit. Any tips on maintenance, preventative or otherwise?
    Don't use a high pressure hose to wash your bike. I like as low pressure as possible.
    After washing, get it dried out in the sun asap.

Seriously, these are the things that kill BBs.

The Raceface BB92 uses nylon cups that have stayed tight and creak free for me. The only concern is the BB92 30mm spindle bearings are kinda tiny so water, dirt, and hammering will wear them out a little quicker than normal but it's not a big deal.

The only issues I've seen with Raceface Cinch are the chainring lockring likes to loosen if it's not REALLY tight and the preload collar needs to be set correctly. Neglecting either results in creaking.

mtbr member
    I just put the threaded one above from WheelsMFG in my Intense Recluse. We will see if/when it starts to creak.

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by R_Pierce View Post
    I just put the threaded one above from WheelsMFG in my Intense Recluse. We will see if/when it starts to creak.
    That works for Sram cranks 22/24mm and they probably make one for Shimano 24mm. I'd be surprised if there's a thread-together BB for a BB92 frame with Raceface 30mm crank. There's just so little space between the shell and axle they struggle to fit a thin nylon cup and thinner than normal bearing in there. Using an alloy cup strong enough to take the torque of threading would probably necessitate an even thinner bearing.

Thanks Leland... I barely wash bikes at all and certainly never with high pressure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have had issues with my Evil Following (sold it) and a very creaky BB ALL the time. My Enduro 29 before that only creaked once ever. I took the Evil to a couple bike shops and they couldn't solve it after taking it apart and re-greasing everything. I am very interested in the Capra but I too am concerned. I talked with another bike shop owner about this issue and he says he rarely gets creaky BB. He says it's usually something else creaking and not the BB. What's really the issue? Is it different BB manufactures have different tolerances in terms of sizing or is it the frame manufacturer? Is something else creaking and not the BB?????

Danger Zone
    Everyone is so quick to blame pressfit BBs for the source of the creaking when it's generally not the culprit. Even if you disassemble everything and replace the BB, thus silencing the creak, you're still removing, regreasing, and retorquing several other components that are known to be creaky. You haven't isolated the BB as the source.

Ruling out a YT because of a pressfit bottom bracket is just plain ridiculous.

mtbr member
    The BB92 and 30mm spindle is a complete cluster. Iím not the lightest, but not huge (about 200 all geared up) and I never rinse down my bike with high pressure, always get it dried out as fast as possible, etc. But, I still destroy those terrible bottom brackets. Gone through 3 in ~1,200 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "So you think it's the hat?... A lot of people hate this hat. It angers a lot of people, just the sight of it." - Uncle Buck

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by In2falling View Post
    I like the look of that!

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Mine creaks like a mofo. But it could be the cranks too. I haven't torn down the whole thing. But whatever, the noise doesn't really bother me.

mtbr member
    My cranks creaked from time to time after maybe 800 miles. Clean and lube fixed it.

I just replaced BB with HOPE, original one started creaking, and some water got into one of the bearings. I's partially my fault since I damaged that seal. But replacement process was easy.

I also took rear hub/axle apart, cleaned, lubed etc, since that was creaking too. Finally, my bike is quiet )

I have 1350 miles on it by the way.

I consider cleaning/lubing BB and hubs part of regular maintenance. Water, dirt etc takes toll on it. SO no complaints here.
    More you beef it up, more it will handle like a cow....:skep:

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by BunniBoi View Post
    Mine creaks like a mofo. But it could be the cranks too. I haven't torn down the whole thing. But whatever, the noise doesn't really bother me.
    Check the chainring lockring. It needs to be really tight.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    ^^Thanks for that, I'll definitely check it out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I am also concerned about the PF that YT uses still. It looks like the new BB92 E13 (comes on CF Pro Race 29) has a threaded center tube (https://bythehive.com/products/press...ottom-brackets) but curious if that prevents the downsides of PF vs Threaded BB?

Seems like people either hate PF or don't mind. I wondering how many people who hate them have bad experiences from the first PF's that hit the market that were junk? I've never had a PF before so I'm hesitant to pull the trigger on the YT. FS bikes are higher maintenance in general but don't want a $5k bike that's creaking all the time and constantly requiring BB maintenance. Perhaps I'm just over thinking it at this point...

Iím over 60 rides and 600+ miles on my 2018 al. BB still fine, so Iím not concerned anymore.

Throwing in a new B.B. at this point would not be a major issue for me personally. But I donít need to.

Iím not overweight and these are all dry conditions use (west coast USA), so ymmv.

If a thread-together BB becomes available that works with RF Turbines, Iíd consider that when I do need to replace.

mtbr member
    E13 BB92 is exactly same as Race Face. Tube in the middle is just a plastic sleeve that keeps water away from the bearings inside the BB shell.

Threaded ones are PF30 or BB30. Both of these have bearings on the outside I believe.

mtbr member
    I had a Canyon Spectral with BB92 PF that creaked terribly. I was told by countless people (including Canyon) to check my pedals, pivots, chain ring, cranks, etc... I spent hours taking shit apart, greasing, and torquing various components trying to make it quiet. After a couple months, of failed attempts, I ordered a new BB in hopes that maybe the one in the bike was the issue. After getting it out and seeing all the galling from the cups moving in the shell, I will never own another PF frame again. It is absolutely an inferior design that is used to save the OEMs money. Lighter? Sure but that is just a convenient coincidence IMO. I know a lot of guys haven't had bad experience yet but consider yourselves lucky. Conversion bracket fixes are very hit and miss from my research.

As far as YT goes, it is very unfortunate they choose to use PF because if they uses a threaded BB I would very possibly have a Jeffsy right now. My money will go to the companies that chose to stay threaded and had their customers best interest in mind. Ibis, Santa Cruz, Knolly, Diamondback, Niner, Specialized to name a few. Unfortunately it rules out lots of otherwise great bikes but I am not willing to roll the dice on a PF frame again.

mtbr member
    Knolly says it best....

Pressfit BB issues?-capture.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Haha thats funny.

I emailed YT about future BB designs but they had no info if they'd go to threaded in the future. They claim to not have many reports of issues with the PF BB used today but who knows.

bike rider
    Whether a PF BB creaks in a frame depends on the tolerances the frame is made to. Apparently YT is confident they can maintain good enough tolerances to eliminate creaks so they plan to stick with the cheaper, lighter option. Unless multitudes of YT owners start saying their BBs are moving in the frame I see no reason to criticize that decision. Mine is quite.

This thread was started out of concern and speculation which is reasonable. However, after a season it looks like YT has it under control.

mtbr member
    A quick Google search produces similar results with creaky YTs as it does with most other brands. Just yours being quiet for a year isn't much in the way of proof that YT has no press fit issues. My wife has the same Canyon Spectral I did....Hers is completely quiet. Mine, not so much. It's a crap-shoot and if you're unlucky like I was it very difficult to remedy.

Just trying to play devil's advocate here. I hope no one has to deal with creaky PF BB. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. LOL

mtbr member
    Yeh, it's hit and miss. I replaced BB bearings, it was quiet.
    I had to take crank arm off. Put it back on. It creaks. I think some dirt got on spindle/arm interface.
    Gotta take it apart again

mtbr member
    If you have the eThirteen cassette read this from Goldfly post...
    ďOn another note, I believe I have solved my creaking issue that has haunted me for months. It absolutely sounded and felt like the BB... but I was still convinced it was the cassette...
    From eThirteen: If you are getting creaking.. 95% of the time it is due to the bushing on the end of the xd driver, it needs to be pulled off greased inside and outside.Ē

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    Check the chainring lockring. It needs to be really tight.
    You're the man! Somehow my chain ring nut had loosened up. Tightened the hell out of it and went for a lovely silent ride.

bike rider
    If it happens again put blue loctite on the threads.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I have had some serious creaking on my Jeffsy but it has always been the cranks. Take them out. Clean them up. Back to silence.
    2018 YT Jeffsy 29 CF Pro Race