The official YT IZZO thread- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

The official YT IZZO thread

First look at this new short-travel trail model here: https://reviews.mtbr.com/yt-izzo-fir...s-availability

Highlights

• 130mm of front and rear suspension
    • Wheelsize: 29″
    • Size range: S, M, L, XL, XXL
    • Price range: $2,999 Ė $5,999
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The official YT IZZO thread-izzo_1920x1168_gallery23.jpg  

News and reviews from Mtbr.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    2999 is a heck of a good price for carbon base model. Carbon frame these day at full retail at this price. Digging the light color dune grey more than the black.

Too bad no frame only option yet. As long as the worldís economy is down, I see frame only option soon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    So i noticed that the specs on the Comp and the Pro model are identical.... Got this response from YT

"We are working to fix that currently. The biggest differnec in the two is the coomp comes with a Fox 34 Rhythm, NX drive train, and G2 R brakes"

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    The pro spec is a great deal. Those wheels are like 2700 bucks retail just as is. Also full factory suspension and X01.

I wish YT allowed you to pick a build separate of frame color. Got a think for that ghostship green.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Hmmm. I'm liking it. Maybe I'll wait till the end of the year for a discount.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    The Comp could be perfect for my wife, but out of stock until September? I mean thatís going to put me out straight off. I donít want to have to wait 5 months for a bike!
    #bleedblackdieevil

mtbr member
    ProRace...but in green PREEEEZE!

g=9.764m/s2
    Quote Originally Posted by AZripper View Post
    Hmmm. I'm liking it. Maybe I'll wait till the end of the year for a discount.
    If they sell out, wonít be none to discount... d;o)

Quote Originally Posted by philstone View Post
    The Comp could be perfect for my wife, but out of stock until September? I mean thatís going to put me out straight off. I donít want to have to wait 5 months for a bike!
    Ahhh, therefore you havenít owned a new YT yet...

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Undescended View Post
    If they sell out, wonít be none to discount... d;o)

Ahhh, therefore you havenít owned a new YT yet...
    True. Was looking to replace my 2018 Capra next yr with a new Capra, But this Izzo looks too fun. Decisions decisions.

g=9.764m/s2
    Quote Originally Posted by AZripper View Post
    True. Was looking to replace my 2018 Capra next yr with a new Capra, But this Izzo looks too fun. Decisions decisions.
    I agree, itíll be the perfect bike for my locale and is now at the top of my wishlist!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    May we please get an actual seat tube angle ?

Thanks mtbr itís in the actual review

mtbr member
    Looks like a nice setup. I don't know much about wheel sets but I'd rather have the RSC brakes on the Jeffsy CF Pro (they come on the Izzo Pro Race).

I'm probably still more in the Jeffsy range. Will be interesting to hear reviews on how the suspension design differs. This looks more like what's on a Giant or Trek. I really liked the Giant suspension I had more than I liked my VPP/Santa Cruz suspension.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    As a non serious XC racer that loves partying on the downs.... this bike speaks to me in a lot of ways. I really dig how they didn't go for a "Short Travel Trail Bike" like the optic. The Jeffsy fills the trail bike category so well.

This bike is a nimble and light platform with twist lock suspension, and enough travel to have a great time on the way down. There doesn't seem to be tons of excitement about this release, but I think they did a great job of not stepping on their own feet with a lot of overlap.

I would love to ride this steed in the SM100!

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Question - this and other YT bikes seem like a really good spec value. Is this because you buy online? Is there something to watch out for w/YT bikes? The pro Izzo at $3900 seems like a 5K bike with the big brands.

Thx.

mtbr member
    My only concern is the PinkBike reviewer noted flex that left tire marks on the chain stays....And heís only ~165.

Iím gonna wait for a few more reviews, bc I canít have that!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    My only concern is the PinkBike reviewer noted flex that left tire marks on the chain stays....And heís only ~165.

Iím gonna wait for a few more reviews, bc I canít have that!
    Yikes. Apparently I missed that in the review. I guess I'll let you know once mine arrives.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by freerideordie View Post
    Yikes. Apparently I missed that in the review. I guess I'll let you know once mine arrives.
    In the ďdescendingĒ section, he wrote: Despite that ample clearance, you can still hear the tire buzzing the inside of the chainstays if you really throw it into a big, supportive corner.

And then reinterates it in comments section when heís questioned about it.

Thatís with the Forecaster out back.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    In the ďdescendingĒ section, he wrote: Despite that ample clearance, you can still hear the tire buzzing the inside of the chainstays if you really throw it into a big, supportive corner.

Yeah might be cancelling my order after hearing that.

mtbr member

Could run a 2.2 rear tire, like an Ardent Race
    Not sure of I.D on rims, might not be optimal

Use to own a shortish travel 29er and ran Ardent Races front and back 2.35/2.2.

Was my favorite tire setup on that steed.

Might/might not alleviate rub.

PS - I couldn't buy one... apparently it's only made for sub 100kg riders

Sent from my HD1900 using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    ProRace...but in green PREEEEZE!
    Yes!!!! That Ghostship Green is my favorite color on any bike right now. It's stunning in person.
    ---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

mtbr member
    Izzo looks legit. I was pretty set on a either a Banshee Phantom/Prime...then this pops up. I'd be all over it if they had a frame only option for ~$2500.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    PS - I couldn't buy one... apparently it's only made for sub 100kg riders
    Is that written anywhere? I can't see it? But I am 100kg and was looking at this bike quite seriously....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by groundskeeperwilly View Post
    Is that written anywhere? I can't see it? But I am 100kg and was looking at this bike quite seriously....
    YouTube reviewer said testers around the 100kg mark had trouble getting rear shock to work as they liked/wanted...

Sent from my HD1900 using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I would bet this has more to do with the tire than anything else. I ride DH casings on my Ripley LS, very firm casings, no squirm or flex.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I think they were in the park, but missed the mark IMO. It should have an additional pro and Ltd kit with 140 mm up front, a dpx2 shock and some real tires. It would gain some weight, but probably be just as fast most of the time and would be hella more versatile. It is exactly how I have my Ripley ls built and it is the perfect pair for my Capra 29.

mtbr member

I think YT is going the same route as Evil with the Following. They are going for a more pedal friendly and lighter weight bike. Bikes currently are more downhill based and 30+ lbs. If you want a 140mm fork on the Izzo...you just need a $30 air shaft to bring the fork to 140mm.

If you want slack and short travel...there is always the Tallboy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Or the Norco Optic..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by billb0872 View Post
    I think they were in the park, but missed the mark IMO. It should have an additional pro and Ltd kit with 140 mm up front, a dpx2 shock and some real tires. It would gain some weight, but probably be just as fast most of the time and would be hella more versatile. It is exactly how I have my Ripley ls built and it is the perfect pair for my Capra 29.
    I disagree and say youíre missing the mark. Everyone keeps wanting to upsize: todayís Civic is tomorrowís Accord. If you want a Fox 36 @140 w/a DPX, buy a Jeffsy...or a TallBoy4...or Trail429, etc etc etc.... or some other 30# smasher.

mtbr member
    ^^That's true.

When it comes to fork travel...everyone wants to overfork whatever bike they get. Its like the Ripley v4. You have guys wanting to push the fork travel past 140 and then wanting an angleset. At that point...just get a Ripmo.

IMO...the Izzo looks to be spot on the way YT delivers it. The complete base carbon build is cheaper than a v3 Following frame. The bike is so tempting.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    ^^That's true.

When it comes to fork travel...everyone wants to overfork whatever bike they get. Its like the Ripley v4. You have guys wanting to push the fork travel past 140 and then wanting an angleset. At that point...just get a Ripmo.

IMO...the Izzo looks to be spot on the way YT delivers it. The complete base carbon build is cheaper than a v3 Following frame. The bike is so tempting.
    I agree. Base Izzo is a good deal.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Izzo looks legit. I was pretty set on a either a Banshee Phantom/Prime...then this pops up. I'd be all over it if they had a frame only option for ~$2500.
    Not to bash this thing, but I'd wait til more are out in the wild. Take a look at what happened with the Intense Sniper and rear end flex.
    The YT went with the same unsupported chainstays and they don't have room to add a brace in between the CS at the rocker.
    Intense had a single upright and added a second to the trail model for 2020, these has none.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Geo looks pretty bang on already without overforking.
    If you over fork that slack actual seat angle will get even slacker.

I think I will run a -1 angleset to take HA to 65 and leave the fork at 130mm.
    But I may swap the fork out for a pike or a 36, not a fan of the 34

Im excited by this bike, all the short travel mini enduro bikes pedal like enduro bikes.
    Breath of fresh air for a super efficient bike to be released with modern geo.

Hopefully it will be a good replacement for my intense primer mk1

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Just buy the lowest model and strip it and flog all the parts.
    In the uk, its £2600 and all the parts are worth £1k so frame only is £1600 - that is 50% the cost of a shop bought carbon frame...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SF Trailboy View Post
    May we please get an actual seat tube angle ?

Thanks mtbr itís in the actual review
    Photoshop tells me 68.9 degrees

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    A 140 fork will not impact climbing in a noticeable way, at least that is what I experienced when I installed the 140 air shaft on my Ripley LS. I got best of both worlds, still climbs exceptionally well, but a bit more capable on the way down. Biggest benefit to me, as a 200 pounder, I donít bottom the fork in basic trail riding.

Same reason I upped the shock to the DPX2. The stock can was ok until it got to doing a lot of work, it quickly got overwhelmed in mildly choppy/root sections. DPX2 fixed that, it doesnít overheat, stays consistent, and still plenty of pop/play out of the short stroke.

And based on the reviews I have seen where they actually rode the bike, they all say stock forecaster tires are under-gunned. The first recommendation made in the reviews is to get more aggressive rubber.

As is now generally well understood, Geo matters more than weight. So many of us would like the snappy responsive geo, but with a touch more versatility They could have easily run this bike in two series, one being the light weight ďcc/trailĒ build, the other being a true trail bike. I donít think it needs a fox 36, but the 140 stroke, a piggy back shock, and some real rubber would be real nice. This is exactly what Pivot does with the new 429.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I would bet this has more to do with the tire than anything else. I ride DH casings on my Ripley LS, very firm casings, no squirm or flex.
    I wouldn't be so sure.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    I've been on the verge of building a 120mm-ish bike for a while and this one seems to tick a lot of boxes. At 200lbs, I'm now a little worried about the flex comments. I'd want this bike to rip local flow trail berms.
    I placed an order for one just to be in line to get one of the first ones in May but now I'm having second thoughts.

I'm already thinking that with my weight I'm going to need a Fox 36 and possibly a DPX2.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    A 140 fork will not impact climbing in a noticeable way, at least that is what I experienced when I installed the 140 air shaft on my Ripley LS. I got best of both worlds, still climbs exceptionally well, but a bit more capable on the way down. Biggest benefit to me, as a 200 pounder, I donít bottom the fork in basic trail riding.

Same reason I upped the shock to the DPX2. The stock can was ok until it got to doing a lot of work, it quickly got overwhelmed in mildly choppy/root sections. DPX2 fixed that, it doesnít overheat, stays consistent, and still plenty of pop/play out of the short stroke.

And based on the reviews I have seen where they actually rode the bike, they all say stock forecaster tires are under-gunned. The first recommendation made in the reviews is to get more aggressive rubber.

As is now generally well understood, Geo matters more than weight. So many of us would like the snappy responsive geo, but with a touch more versatility They could have easily run this bike in two series, one being the light weight ďcc/trailĒ build, the other being a true trail bike. I donít think it needs a fox 36, but the 140 stroke, a piggy back shock, and some real rubber would be real nice. This is exactly what Pivot does with the new 429.
    Ripleys actual seat angle (ie post angle) is steeper than this though.
    I over forked my jeffsy mk1 which had a similar slack actual angle and it made it a lot worse.

Doubt Piggy back shock wont fit in this frame - look at the clearance.

Definitey agree on rubber though - needs at least a DHR2 2.3 on the back!

mtbr member
    A piggyback shock might fit if its flipped right side up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    You may be right... my experience is that the tires make a big difference in squirm/flex factor. The lack of real in depth review is not helping with clarity..

Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    I wouldn't be so sure.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Well, I ordered mine on Friday. Was looking hard at the Jeffsy, but since I have never owned or ridden a FS bike, I went with the Izzo as it is nearer my OLD Cannondale (no suspension) Red Shred that I rocked back in the day. If I find it is not up to the task for what I want to do, I will simply buy another that is.

I feel like I can have TWO well-sorted YT carbon bikes for the price of ONE $6,000.00 bike.

I hope I am right!
    Last edited by PNW MTB; 04-21-2020 at 09:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    After obsessing compulsively since placing my order for the Izzo, I realized that the trails I will be mostly riding will be better suited to the Jeffsy, so I changed my order to a Jeffsy. I guess I will have to jump over to that thread!

The Izzo still looks like an amazing bike, I hope I made the right choice!

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Newb here... especially when it comes to looking at bike geometry.

I have been looking for a trail bike. Was looking at Stumpjumper ST and Trance 29. After looking at all options I am pretty set on going direct to consumer route (local LBS are not the greatest IMO and you get a helluva bang for the buck D2C.)

I am comparing similar short travel trail bikes (above 2 and Canyon Neuron) and the reach on the Izzo is considerably more on a large (472mm vs ~450mm).
    Why so different? Advantages, disadvantages?

I ride in FL, so no DH to speak of but there are some fun trails reasonably close.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    There is a good thread on the Ripley LS vs the Ripley V4 benefits to share the different characteristics of longer vs shorter reach. May not be a perfect answer, but should be directionally informative.

The LS is the prior model with shorter reach, V4 is current gen with longer reach.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicpunk67 View Post

I have been looking for a trail bike. Was looking at Stumpjumper ST and Trance 29. After looking at all options I am pretty set on going direct to consumer route (local LBS are not the greatest IMO and you get a helluva bang for the buck D2C.)

I am comparing similar short travel trail bikes (above 2 and Canyon Neuron) and the reach on the Izzo is considerably more on a large (472mm vs ~450mm).

I ride in FL, so no DH to speak of but there are some fun trails reasonably close.

mtbr member
    I think I'm going to be canceling my Izzo order. The rear flex issue sounds too risky for me as a 200 lbs rider who wants to use it to rail the berms on my local flow trails.

I guess I'll wait until I can demo one first.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Best advice I can give you is buy locally. If you don't understand the numbers, then buying direct might not be the best for you.
    It's not just reach- that is just one number. The poster above mentioned the Ripley LS vs the V4.

I had an OG Ripley- very short bike, short even for the standards back then, bought a V4 based on hype- didn't work for me and the rolling terrain I have in MD. The steep seat tube, long reach put way more weight on my hands and caused me to have pain on short rides. Sold it and bought a LS- much better.

To me the new modern geo is best for long sustained climbs with long descents- out west riding. Being in FL I seriously suggest you buy something you can test ride. You may not like the new long and slack geo that's currently in fashion.

The numbers on the IZZO are very similar to the Ripley V4- not something I'd pick for flatter terrain.
    Several other riders of V4 have made similar comments as mine, if they had rolling/flatter terrain, they would stick to the LS.

I actually think the Trance is a good compromise between new and old.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member

You need to look at the effective top tube length along with the reach. A bike with a slacker seat tube angle with a short reach could have a similar or longer ETT than a bike with a steeper STA with a long reach. The ETT of the Trance is longer than the Izzo despite the shorter reach. My saddle position is pretty much fixed. Its in the same position relative to the bottom bracket regardless of the STA. As long as I can slide my saddle to where I want it...the STA isn't that big a deal to me. People like to make it sound like your saddle is in a fixed position on the seat post...it isn't. As long as you can move the saddle to where you find it most comfortable to pedal...that is the most important part. The ETT is something you feel when you are seated. You can only look at reach if you never plan on sitting down.

With the longer bike...your body is basically shifted forward on the bike. You need to look at all the numbers...you can't just look at one.

...people like to focus on one number. First it was head tube angle, then reach, now it's the seat tube angle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wazzatron View Post
    I think I'm going to be canceling my Izzo order. The rear flex issue sounds too risky for me as a 200 lbs rider who wants to use it to rail the berms on my local flow trails.

I guess I'll wait until I can demo one first.
    Maybe I missed it but where is a first hand account of the excessive flex mentioned? I'd love to be able to read up on it. This bike has definitely caught my eye and I don't want to make a purchase I might regret.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sptimmy43 View Post
    Maybe I missed it but where is a first hand account of the excessive flex mentioned? I'd love to be able to read up on it. This bike has definitely caught my eye and I don't want to make a purchase I might regret.
    The Pinkbike reviewer made a comment about it, claiming that his chainstay was getting buzzed by the tire when pushing. If you read through the comments, he confirms the issue and also states his weight which if I remember correctly was about 160lbs.

mtbr member
    The Pinkbike reviewer made a comment about it, claiming that his chainstay was getting buzzed by the tire when pushing. If you read through the comments, he confirms the issue and also states his weight which if I remember correctly was about 160lbs.
    I can see why this could be off-putting but on the other hand it is one person's account based on limited experience.

mtbr member
    I can see why this could be off-putting but on the other hand it is one person's account based on limited experience.
    Totally, which is why I'll wait to demo one first. I live about 5 minutes away from YT, they're just not open for demos right now with the covid lockdown.

mtbr member
    Totally, which is why I'll wait to demo one first. I live about 5 minutes away from YT, they're just not open for demos right now with the covid lockdown.
    I agree 100%. While I'm hopeful this bike will be what I'm after, I don't think I would pull the trigger right now either. Even the professional reviewers have very limited experience on this thing.

I have a 2018 Jeffsy 27 right now and it's a beast. Honestly, it's more bike than I really need and it can feel sluggish on milder terrain. I'll be anxiously awaiting more first hand reviews of the Izzo.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by MudderNutter View Post
    So i noticed that the specs on the Comp and the Pro model are identical.... Got this response from YT

"We are working to fix that currently. The biggest differnec in the two is the coomp comes with a Fox 34 Rhythm, NX drive train, and G2 R brakes"
    So I ordered the Comp the first day it was available, seemed like a great bike for my wife. Recently I was looking at it again and the specs were different than i remembered them being. Mudder, when did you ask YT about the identical specs? Just wondering if my memory is terrible or the comp did have the pro specs listed when i ordered the bike.

mtbr member

I just ordered a Izzo Pro XXL. I'm 6'4 and weigh just under 200 lbs. I'm aware of the chainstay flex and shock rebound issues with heavy riders.

It is supposed to arrive in June. I can keep the group posted.

E

mtbr member

Excellent. Itíd be nice to start seeing some real world reviews. Iím only #140 so Iím not too terribly concerned about the potential flex.

Iím not currently in the market for a bike...but the Izzo is really making me lick my chops.

mtbr member
    I'm also looking forward to real world reviews. Both the Pinkbike and Vital reviews make it sound like this is verging on an XC race bike. While the Tallboy, which has pretty similar geo and less travel, is treated almost like a mini-enduro bike. Depending on the flip chip settings, a HTA of 0.3-1.0į separates the two. I understand that one may climb better and the other descend better but I can't tell if they're hinting that the Izzo descends poorly for a modern 130mm bike, if they're splitting hairs, or if the tires, 60mm stem, and narrow bars are influencing the descending ability that much.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Pinkbikeís YT forum tends to get more activity, I guess more europeans use pinkbike than mtbr.
    Anyway, someone on the izzo thread has got his and wrote this. Flex not an issue anyway.

https://deadlyhifi.wordpress.com/202...hello-yt-izzo/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richt2000 View Post
    Anyway, someone on the izzo thread has got his and wrote this. Flex not an issue anyway.

He's a 160 lbs and "not someone whoís pushing the boundaries of any bike". I'm 210 lbs so I'm going to wait for more reviews.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Pinkbikeís YT forum tends to get more activity, I guess more europeans use pinkbike than mtbr.

So based on one light rider who doesn't push his bike, you've determined flex isn't an issue?
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    So based on one light rider who doesn't push his bike, you've determined flex isn't an issue?
    I havenít determined anything. Only repeating what this guy said.

Iím 200lb and land bikes into catch berms sideways, but sadly wonít receive mine until mid June to give feedback...

Ben-Jammin
    I ordered my medium Izzo Pro in Black Magic on April 18th and was told last week that there weren't any delays and it should be arriving on May 13th.

I didn't hear anything for a few days so I decided to contact them and was informed there has been a massive delay due to COVID and I probably won't be getting the bike until mid-October...

...I understand this is outside of their control, but it sucks as I've already dropped ~$1000 on parts I was going to swap. Thankfully, I have another bike to ride while I wait.

mtbr member
    Yeah that's a bummer. I'm sure there are be delays across the industry (and many industries).

Ironically, I wasn't able to get my bike in for service in time for summer because my shop is so busy. So I'm going to try and do it myself.

I'm confident the industry will recover and seems like my bike shop will still be around. Very glad.

Demon Cleaner
    Iím seriously interested in a Pro Race XL Izzo which shows a late June available date but very reluctant to jump in if that June date is October... hope to hear some good news on this soon.

Bicycling is politics by other means.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Just been informed that my pro race due yesterday will be dispatched 1 week late.
    Iím in UK

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Structure View Post
    Iím seriously interested in a Pro Race XL Izzo which shows a late June available date but very reluctant to jump in if that June date is October... hope to hear some good news on this soon.

I'm speculating here but if you look at the different models and sizing most are listed at being available in October. In the post above the bike delayed until October was a medium Pro in black magic. The website is listing that as available in October. Some are listed as being available sooner, like the large Pro I ordered. It shows as being available in August. Hopefully that's the case. The wait will be hard enough as it is...

mtbr member
    May 2020
    It sounds like from what I have heard, that at least in the US, there is going to be a significant delay. I was getting ready to order a pro race, but I think I'm going to wait to demo later this year (easy for me in SoCal) and then order a 2021 with hopefully the updated fox 34 grip2 and the new fox transfer post.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    I'd give them a call and ask if things are running on time. I called in earlier this week about the IZZO launch edition I'd ordered, and they told me some of their editions/sizes are delayed and others are running on time. Said mine is still looking to arrive on time (i.e., 6/10).

mtbr member
    Good thing Iím not in the market for a bike right now because this would drive me nuts. I swear YT does this on purpose to drive up hype and create an artificial demand.

With that said...this could me my next bike. Iíll wait till the initial hype dies down.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Just been informed that my pro race due yesterday will be dispatched 1 week late.
    Iím in UK
    Also in the UK, waiting on a L pro race. Due 27/05 chased a couple of times now and whilst YT have replied fairly quickly they can't tell me anything about when to expect my bike ☹️

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by baddddad View Post
    Also in the UK, waiting on a L pro race. Due 27/05 chased a couple of times now and whilst YT have replied fairly quickly they can't tell me anything about when to expect my bike ☹️
    Yea same, large pro race due 27/05. Last week has come and gone. It will be 2 weeks on Wednesday. Shame. Went they said just a week I thought we were ok - gutted they cant tell you when yours in available 😳

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jgnar View Post
    I'd give them a call and ask if things are running on time. I called in earlier this week about the IZZO launch edition I'd ordered, and they told me some of their editions/sizes are delayed and others are running on time. Said mine is still looking to arrive on time (i.e., 6/10).
    I'd be interested to know if yours shows up on time. I called last week about the Pro Race I have on order and Elliott seemed pretty optimistic that the availability estimate of 6/24 was accurate. Of course he did mention that it's pretty much in the hands of the Port of Los Angeles and there isn't much YT USA can do if they don't release shipments.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    My large pro race ďin srock 27/05Ē - today received DHL tracking number and an updated invoice saying shipping on the 10th - 2 days time...

Hoepfully you have same.

So things moving in Europe 2 weeks behind schedule.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    I'd be interested to know if yours shows up on time. I called last week about the Pro Race I have on order and Elliott seemed pretty optimistic that the availability estimate of 6/24 was accurate. Of course he did mention that it's pretty much in the hands of the Port of Los Angeles and there isn't much YT USA can do if they don't release shipments.
    I just called again, and they told me it would be delayed by a week (pushed arrival date from the 10th to the 17th). They said the same thing to me about it being delayed at the Port.

mtbr member
    I ended up canceling my order... Got a deal on a local demo bike. I figure supporting the local bike shop helps my karma as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    My large pro race ďin srock 27/05Ē - today received DHL tracking number and an updated invoice saying shipping on the 10th - 2 days time...

Hoepfully you have same.

So things moving in Europe 2 weeks behind schedule.
    nothing for me yet but that's promising as hopefully I'm in the same batch. To be fair to YT they've been responsive but not able to tell me anything

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    nothing for me yet but that's promising as hopefully I'm in the same batch. To be fair to YT they've been responsive but not able to tell me anything
    Its been shipped bang on YT customer serviceís prediction.
    Now just to to pray DHL and the borders play nice.

I received a canyon road bike in 4 days (DE to UK) 2 weeks ago via UPS, but I think YT use a much cheaper DHL service.

Next post from me will be a full real world review hopefully in a couple of weeks...

mtbr member
    So I am having serious second thoughts about the Izzo right now. I am very very close to changing my order to a Jeffsy 29. At 200 pounds + gear I worry the Fox 34 will be a bit flexy and that the DPS will be a challenge to set up.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    So I am having serious second thoughts about the Izzo right now. I am very very close to changing my order to a Jeffsy 29. At 200 pounds + gear I worry the Fox 34 will be a bit flexy and that the DPS will be a challenge to set up.

Thoughts?
    Iím 190lb + geat and wen mine comes I wont even ride it with the 34s, they will go on ebay as brand new. Too flexy and in dont like fit4 damper.

Got a fox 36 grip2 140mm 44mm offset fork sat here waiting....
    Along with a scoop radius pro saddle and some decent tires

mtbr member
    Iím 190lb + geat and wen mine comes I wont even ride it with the 34s, they will go on ebay as brand new. Too flexy and in dont like fit4 damper.

Got a fox 36 grip2 140mm 44mm offset fork sat here waiting....
    Along with a scoop radius pro saddle and some decent tires
    Your logic is similar to mine. I'm not going to be able to sneak a $1k fork past the treasurer at this point though.

If I am going to put a 140mm Fox 36, 180 bars, a 50mm stem, etc. I am thinking I should just get a Jeffsy.

I'm after better pedaling characteristics but I don't race and I'm not an XC buff...

Decisions, Decisions....

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I think it all depends on use. I have a 34 with 140 on my Ripley LS, I am 205, very solid/strong build, I also ride a Capra 29 pro race. When it comes to trail riding the 34 is surprisingly good. Is it enduro good, no. And while I have often though of putting a 36 on the Ripley, I havenít. The $1k is a tough pill to swallow when the bike performs how I want in the terrain I ride it. I push the travel limits of the 140 more than than I feel flex.

Your logic is similar to mine. I'm not going to be able to sneak a $1k fork past the treasurer at this point though.

If I am going to put a 140mm Fox 36, 180 bars, a 50mm stem, etc. I am thinking I should just get a Jeffsy.

I'm after better pedaling characteristics but I don't race and I'm not an XC buff...

Decisions, Decisions....

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The other option you have is to stick some pike ultimates on. Same weight as fox 34 but less flexy. And the silver ones may match the pro prace colourway well.

New pikes only cost about £100 more than the fox 34s are worth on ebay...

mtbr member
    I think it all depends on use. I have a 34 with 140 on my Ripley LS, I am 205, very solid/strong build, I also ride a Capra 29 pro race. When it comes to trail riding the 34 is surprisingly good. Is it enduro good, no. And while I have often though of putting a 36 on the Ripley, I havenít. The $1k is a tough pill to swallow when the bike performs how I want in the terrain I ride it. I push the travel limits of the 140 more than than I feel flex.
    So I think what is going on here is that I have way too much time to over-analyze and overthink the bike before it gets here.

I'm gonna rock the 34 and see how it goes. I'm getting pretty stoked for this thing...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The 140 airshaft is about $35. I would definitely suggest going that direction before spending the $ on the 36. Very easy job to do your self. You may also need to purchase the shock oil, but cheap and easy job. IMO the bike should have a 140 option with a DHF, and a DPX2. It is a YT after all.

So I think what is going on here is that I have way too much time to over-analyze and overthink the bike before it gets here.

I'm gonna rock the 34 and see how it goes. I'm getting pretty stoked for this thing...

mtbr member
    The 140 airshaft is about $35. I would definitely suggest going that direction before spending the $ on the 36. Very easy job to do your self. You may also need to purchase the shock oil, but cheap and easy job. IMO the bike should have a 140 option with a DHF, and a DPX2. It is a YT after all.
    I'm swapping tires straight away. I'm not even going to bother with the forekasters. I've ridden bikes with them before and they aren't for me.

At least on paper, I'd actually rather have a DPX2 on this thing than a 36. Just by looking at the pictures that are available online I highly doubt a DPX2 will fit.

I'm gonna ride it at 130mm when it arrives but I already have a 140mm air spring on order to try out. I'll probably throw 780mm bars on it at some point, too. I'm 5'10 so on the border of sizes M/L and I went with a large so a 50mm stem will probably be fitted in short order.

I don't want to get too crazy and enduro the thing out too much or it defeats the purpose of why I want and bought it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I agree, no need to enduro the bike, but if you are accustomed to riding more aggressively, it canít hurt to make some adjustments to match your capability. It would be interesting to see if the dpx2 would fit, it was a bigger improvement on my Ripley than I could have imagined. No change in travel obviously, but a much more capable shock for repeated hits on a downhill, especially for a bigger rider.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Its been shipped bang on YT customer serviceís prediction.
    Now just to to pray DHL and the borders play nice.

I received a canyon road bike in 4 days (DE to UK) 2 weeks ago via UPS, but I think YT use a much cheaper DHL service.

Next post from me will be a full real world review hopefully in a couple of weeks...
    Any sign of yours yet? I was about two days behind you in getting a tracking code in my account on yt website (though haven't had any comms from YT at all on this).

Currently "processed in the export parcel center, Dorsten, Germany"

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I have a fox 36 performance elite 140mm 44 offset
    And access to a fox 34 130mm 51mm offset
    So intend have a play with different travel and offsets over first few weeks only because wont need to spend any money.

My 2016 Jeffsy Pro Race 29 came with a 46mm offset fork, but i found it handled A LOT better with a 51mm offset. But then the reach on that bike was 30mm shorter.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Any sign of yours yet? I was about two days behind you in getting a tracking code in my account on yt website (though haven't had any comms from YT at all on this).

Currently "processed in the export parcel center, Dorsten, Germany"

Nope. Mine was shipped just over a week ago now.
    Status has been the same ever since:

We, 10.06.2020, 13:47, Bielefeld, Germany
    The international shipment has been processed in the parcel center of origin

Was dorsten your second update? Ie did you get biefeld first?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Nope. Mine was shipped just over a week ago now.
    Status has been the same ever since:

We, 10.06.2020, 13:47, Bielefeld, Germany
    The international shipment has been processed in the parcel center of origin

Was dorsten your second update? Ie did you get biefeld first?
    wont be riding this weekend then

biefield second then dorsten third

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    wont be riding this weekend then

biefield second then dorsten third
    Yea looks that way. Iíve heard some jeffys and capras are taking 25 days to ship to uk and some are turning up in 6-7 and the tracking still says Ďcentre of originí so its just a total lucky dip!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Yea looks that way. Iíve heard some jeffys and capras are taking 25 days to ship to uk and some are turning up in 6-7 and the tracking still says Ďcentre of originí so its just a total lucky dip!
    just this second got a text to say delivery tomorrow!!!

DHL.de still saying it's in Germany. try putting your code in the dhl uk tracker

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    just this second got a text to say delivery tomorrow!!!

DHL.de still saying it's in Germany. try putting your code in the dhl uk tracker
    Stoked for you - we will be expecting a first ride report from uou tomorrow evening then ;-)

Nah, UK tracking says Ďtracking number not foundí
    I thought DHL handed over to parcelforce once in UK? Is yours dhl text message!

mtbr member
    So there is a glimmer of hope for those of us in the US. I got a shipment notification from YT and a FedEx tracking number today that my Pro Race is on it's way. Delivery is scheduled for 6/23. The stoke is real!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    So there is a glimmer of hope for those of us in the US. I got a shipment notification from YT and a FedEx tracking number today that my Pro Race is on it's way. Delivery is scheduled for 6/23. The stoke is real!
    Congrats! Thank god YT US use fedex and not sh1tty DHL. At this rate youíll have yours on another continent before I have mine from only 800 miles away!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Congrats! Thank god YT US use fedex and not sh1tty DHL. At this rate youíll have yours on another continent before I have mine from only 800 miles away!
    Don't wanna rub it in but mine arrived this morning (via DHL UK).

3 weeks after the original date and 8 days after getting the tracking number

Not had a chance to look inside the box yet

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Don't wanna rub it in but mine arrived this morning (via DHL UK).

3 weeks after the original date and 8 days after getting the tracking number

Not had a chance to look inside the box yet
    No way!!!! Amazing. Make sure you give it a full test and report back.

Could you also confirm that the DT swiss xmc1200 wheelset are the latest version with the 180 hubs, and not the old version with 240mm hubs?

Mine still says Ďat centre of originí - not even at export facility!!! Fcuking jokers!
    Ah well, i cant ride this weekend anyway.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    That's awesome. My Launch edition just kept getting delayed, so I cancelled it, because I didn't want to wait all summer (and also I wasn't sure I really wanted the E13 wheels). I wish I had gone with the pro race version originally. Maybe I'll try to jump back in line for a pro race.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quick out the box and once round the block first inpressions:

• Looks fantastic in the flesh
    • 12.55kg (large pro race with pedals and tubes) (park scales)
    • There's a LOT of cables (and they all need cutting down)
    • 760 bars are too narrow, 60mm stem feels ok
    • Large is perfect for me (180cm)
    • Lock out button is definitely arse about face
    • Saddle not as bad as expected
    • Tyre logos not lined up with rim logos
    • G2s feel good
    • @richt2000 definitely dt180s
    • It's Fast!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The official YT IZZO thread-img_20200618_212548.jpg  

The official YT IZZO thread-img_20200618_212623.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Looks sweet!!! Thats really good news re 180 hubs - those are worth a lot more.
    Those cables are a rats nest!!! 
    Annoying that YT insist on still cutting the steerer so short.

Cant wait for mine to turn up now. Got a tracking update, 8 days later saying the same thing without a location! Looks like mine has just sat in a warehouse for 8 days!!!!! Cnuts!

The official YT IZZO thread-92c5b9e6-073a-47aa-a4a5-f5537b458077.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    After 8+ years I am finally looking to buy a new a bike. I have a 2008 fully rigid Salsa El Mariachi and a 2012 Salsa Spearfish. I am really excited about the Izzo. I love that it is on the lighter side for a full suspension. My Spearfish is 100/80 so 130/130 will be a huge step. I have never paid more than $1,500 so the price of the YT is a big set up too.

Anyhow, I am trying to decide between the Comp and the Pro. A friend suggested getting the Comp and buying a cheap set of carbon wheels.

What model did other people choose and what feature or component was a deciding factor?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Quote Originally Posted by BikeThePlanet View Post
    After 8+ years I am finally looking to buy a new a bike. I have a 2008 fully rigid Salsa El Mariachi and a 2012 Salsa Spearfish. I am really excited about the Izzo. I love that it is on the lighter side for a full suspension. My Spearfish is 100/80 so 130/130 will be a huge step. I have never paid more than $1,500 so the price of the YT is a big set up too.

Anyhow, I am trying to decide between the Comp and the Pro. A friend suggested getting the Comp and buying a cheap set of carbon wheels.

What model did other people choose and what feature or component was a deciding factor?
    This is just what I did. A carbon wheelset is waiting at home to be put when it arrives. And also a shimano slx 12sp groupset.

I also like much more comp colour than pro.

As soon as it arrives, Iíll upload some pics!

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

I would go for the Pro for better fork and GX drivetrain with XD driver and a lighter cassette (more range too). The wheelset on the Pro is also good. Of course if you want carbon wheels with the Comp model youíll have more money left for those. I think Pro would still be lighter than Comp with cheap carbon wheels.

Well, in the end I decided to skip the wait with the Izzo and ordered a Kona Hei Hei instead.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I pulled the trigger on a Pro Race over the weekend. Hopefully I can wait until the 7.29 estimate ship date. My current bike is a Salsa Bucksaw with 29" wheels, a DB Inline on the rear and a 120 airshaft in the Bluto up front. I'm so sick of that flexy Bluto. Granted, it's not meant for 29" wheels but jeez it's squirmy.

I think the Izzo will be amazing for our trails here in Upstate NY. A lot of ups and downs, twisty, granite rock gardens and roots. I can't wait to shave 4lbs off the weight of my bike. I look forward to hearing the ride reports from those who got theirs sooner.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quick out the box and once round the block first inpressions:

• Looks fantastic in the flesh
    • 12.55kg (large pro race with pedals and tubes) (park scales)
    • There's a LOT of cables (and they all need cutting down)
    • 760 bars are too narrow, 60mm stem feels ok
    • Large is perfect for me (180cm)
    • Lock out button is definitely arse about face
    • Saddle not as bad as expected
    • Tyre logos not lined up with rim logos
    • G2s feel good
    • @richt2000 definitely dt180s
    • It's Fast!

So how does it ride? Did you get out on it at the weekend?
    Still no sign of mine 12 days later...

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I'd be interested to hear if that top tube knocks into your knees as is the concern in the Pinkbike review.

"Also, that strong design line flowing along the top tube, mimicking the shape of a Katana sword, is one of the main design features on the Izzo. While looking pretty, it is a sharp edge to have in an area around your legs and knees in particular. During testing, I had nothing but dry trails and so didnít get to test the bike in all-out sicky slop, but no doubt that sharp edge would struggle to keep its paint after months of winter riding. And with this bike aimed at the no kneepad crowd, their knees might not love it."

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BeRad View Post
    I'd be interested to hear if that top tube knocks into your knees as is the concern in the Pinkbike review.

"Also, that strong design line flowing along the top tube, mimicking the shape of a Katana sword, is one of the main design features on the Izzo. While looking pretty, it is a sharp edge to have in an area around your legs and knees in particular. During testing, I had nothing but dry trails and so didnít get to test the bike in all-out sicky slop, but no doubt that sharp edge would struggle to keep its paint after months of winter riding. And with this bike aimed at the no kneepad crowd, their knees might not love it."
    Just invisiframe top tube - problem solved.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Just invisiframe top tube - problem solved.
    I'm more concerned about banging knees on the "knife edge" of a top tube.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I think the reviewer was really struggling for negatives. I never bang my knees on low top tubes. My Firebird 29 has square carbon tubes with a low standover. Just not a problem.

mtbr member
    I pulled the trigger on a Pro Race over the weekend. Hopefully I can wait until the 7.29 estimate ship date. My current bike is a Salsa Bucksaw with 29" wheels, a DB Inline on the rear and a 120 airshaft in the Bluto up front. I'm so sick of that flexy Bluto. Granted, it's not meant for 29" wheels but jeez it's squirmy.

I think the Izzo will be amazing for our trails here in Upstate NY. A lot of ups and downs, twisty, granite rock gardens and roots. I can't wait to shave 4lbs off the weight of my bike. I look forward to hearing the ride reports from those who got theirs sooner.
    If my experience is an indication your bike should ship on time. My pro race had estimated availability of 6/24 and it actually shipped last week. FedEx is scheduled to deliver it tomorrow!

I agree with your thoughts. I think the Izzo is gonna be a real ripper on East Coast singletrack.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    If my experience is an indication your bike should ship on time. My pro race had estimated availability of 6/24 and it actually shipped last week. FedEx is scheduled to deliver it tomorrow!

I agree with your thoughts. I think the Izzo is gonna be a real ripper on East Coast singletrack.
    Very nice! I look forward to hearing all about it.

As an aside, Guerrilla Gravity just came out with a 26.5 lb Trail Pistol using the new SID Ultimate. Soo many good bikes that itís hard to pick.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

As an aside, Guerrilla Gravity just came out with a 26.5 lb Trail Pistol using the new SID Ultimate. Soo many good bikes that itís hard to pick.
    Ha ha yea Iím trying to justify if i can own an IZZO and a Mojo 4 😂

mtbr member
    Mar 2018

I was looking at the Guerilla Gravity too, I'm not seeing a 26.5lbs version with a SID, but it's probably pretty expensive. To get something comparable in the Trail Pistol to the YT Izzo Pro, it's going to be almost an extra $1k plus it's still about 29lbs.

The price of the YT Izzo Comp and Pro are what make them so hard to beat. It REALLY SUCKS they don't have a damn 30 day trial period, that's the only reason I've really been debating for the past two weeks on getting one. I don't have any experience in full suspension bikes, so it's hard to just blindly buy a $3800 bike and hope for the best.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by blue92lx View Post
    I was looking at the Guerilla Gravity too, I'm not seeing a 26.5lbs version with a SID, but it's probably pretty expensive. To get something comparable in the Trail Pistol to the YT Izzo Pro, it's going to be almost an extra $1k plus it's still about 29lbs.

The price of the YT Izzo Comp and Pro are what make them so hard to beat. It REALLY SUCKS they don't have a damn 30 day trial period, that's the only reason I've really been debating for the past two weeks on getting one. I don't have any experience in full suspension bikes, so it's hard to just blindly buy a $3800 bike and hope for the best.
    Not sure what all the fuss was about GG, it just the same frame with a limited edition light and expensive build kit. Nothing anyone that bought a frame couldn't do.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I was looking at the Guerilla Gravity too, I'm not seeing a 26.5lbs version with a SID, but it's probably pretty expensive.
    It is: https://ridegg.com/products/trailpis...option=Race+SL

Not sure what all the fuss was about GG, it just the same frame with a limited edition light and expensive build kit. Nothing anyone that bought a frame couldn't do.
    Horses for courses.

mtbr member

First Ride

The official YT IZZO thread-20200623_182020001_ios-3-.jpg
    So when I got home from work there was big ole box from YT waiting for me with my Pro Race in it. I built the bike up pretty easily with a few minor issues. First, both brake rotors were bent. It wasn't really a surprise. My Jeffsy showed up with bent rotors when I got it, as well. Secondly, the included shock pump adapter is absolute garbage and a regular shock pump won't fit the DPS. I suggest snagging an adapter right away. I was happy to see that valve stems were included with the bike so going tubeless is just a matter of pulling the tubes, adding the valve stems and adding sealant. I swapped the Forekasters out for a 2.5 DHF up front and a 2.4 Rekon out back. Aside from adding a standard water bottle cage and threading the steerer for my OneUp EDC tool I kept the bike stock for now. I might go for a shorter stem at some point but that has yet to be determined. The cables/hoses coming off the bars are a mess. They are all too long. Trimming them down will be a project for another day as I couldn't wait to get a few miles on this thing.

My initial ride impressions are that this bike is everything I wanted my Jeffsy to be. It turns out the Jeffsy is more of a mini enduro bike than a trail bike. The Izzo is fast. It eats up single track with ease. It climbs really well. The trails I rode today are not very rowdy at all so I will reserve commenting on it's descending capability for now. I still have some tweaking to do with the suspension but the Fox 34 at 130mm is completely adequate. I wasn't sure how I felt about the twist lock when they released the bike but it's actually not bad. The bike is a ripper. It likes to play. It loves air. I had absolutely no issues bunny hopping or jumping it. It was a blast to ride!
    The official YT IZZO thread-20200623_211032900_ios-3-.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    So you're saying let's look at an almost $8000 Guerilla Gravity bike? Why not just come in and say that there's a super light Specialized S-Works bike, I'm sure there is, and I'm sure it's going to be $8-10k. Anyone looking at a YT Izzo probably isn't even going to consider a bike that expensive. The GG bike is like $2600 more than the YT Izzo Pro Race. It's apples and cucumbers for comparison when it comes to prices.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    My initial ride impressions are that this bike is everything I wanted my Jeffsy to be. It turns out the Jeffsy is more of a mini enduro bike than a trail bike. The Izzo is fast. It eats up single track with ease. It climbs really well. The trails I rode today are not very rowdy at all so I will reserve commenting on it's descending capability for now. I still have some tweaking to do with the suspension but the Fox 34 at 130mm is completely adequate. I wasn't sure how I felt about the twist lock when they released the bike but it's actually not bad. The bike is a ripper. It likes to play. It loves air. I had absolutely no issues bunny hopping or jumping it. It was a blast to ride!
    Thanks for the report! Iím stoked to get mine.

So you're saying let's look at an almost $8000 Guerilla Gravity bike? Why not just come in and say that there's a super light Specialized S-Works bike, I'm sure there is, and I'm sure it's going to be $8-10k. Anyone looking at a YT Izzo probably isn't even going to consider a bike that expensive. The GG bike is like $2600 more than the YT Izzo Pro Race. It's apples and cucumbers for comparison when it comes to prices.
    Take a deep breath, it will all be alright.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    As much as I hate the big S, the new Epic Evo sans BRAIN FART is an interesting addition to this class. Granted since you can't get a non SWorks frame only, the frame alone is $3525.
    Ripley LS v3

Demon Cleaner
    Anyone with a XL yet? Any sense of rear tire clearance? I have an XL Pro Race on order and plan to switch out tires right out of box. Thinking 2.5 Aggressor but would consider something in 2.6 if they really fit

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    As much as I hate the big S, the new Epic Evo sans BRAIN FART is an interesting addition to this class. Granted since you can't get a non SWorks frame only, the frame alone is $3525.
    I agree, I just saw that Bike Radar quick review of it a few hours ago. It looks super nice, for me though it's too much on the XC side. These 130mm size bikes are already right on the line of XC and Trail, which is right where I want to be.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Anyone with a XL yet? Any sense of rear tire clearance? I have an XL Pro Race on order and plan to switch out tires right out of box. Thinking 2.5 Aggressor but would consider something in 2.6 if they really fit

Great question. I ordered a XL Comp that's available on 8/12, so hopefully I'll receive it in August. I asked their support this specific question. I'm considering a 2.6WT DHF front and a 2.5WT Aggressor rear. In regards to the 2.5:

"We have seen 2.4 tires on the IZZO. 2.5s may work, but could have the possibility to rub the stays, depending on the tire."

So, yeah, valid cause for concern here, especially after that Pinkbike review talking about marks on the chainstay. I might keep the stock Forekaster on the rear and see how that works out for a while until more people have tested the bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200623_182020001_iOS (3).jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	249.2 KB 
ID:	1343755
    So when I got home from work there was big ole box from YT waiting for me with my Pro Race in it. I built the bike up pretty easily with a few minor issues. First, both brake rotors were bent. It wasn't really a surprise. My Jeffsy showed up with bent rotors when I got it, as well. Secondly, the included shock pump adapter is absolute garbage and a regular shock pump won't fit the DPS. I suggest snagging an adapter right away. I was happy to see that valve stems were included with the bike so going tubeless is just a matter of pulling the tubes, adding the valve stems and adding sealant. I swapped the Forekasters out for a 2.5 DHF up front and a 2.4 Rekon out back. Aside from adding a standard water bottle cage and threading the steerer for my OneUp EDC tool I kept the bike stock for now. I might go for a shorter stem at some point but that has yet to be determined. The cables/hoses coming off the bars are a mess. They are all too long. Trimming them down will be a project for another day as I couldn't wait to get a few miles on this thing.

Name:	20200623_211032900_iOS (3).jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	500.3 KB 
ID:	1343757
    Agree with pretty much all of that - Mine turned up with bent rotors too!

Had first proper ride on mine (Lg Pro race) yesterday 50km on all sorts of trails. The bike is indeed a ripper - so good on the fast flowy trails. Climbs really well even without the lockout.

A few more thoughts:

• The 34s did really well for the most part - started to feel the flex once it got steep and techy. Think I will stick with them but will be swapping out the air shaft for a 140.
    • Didn't notice any flex in the back end at all (80kg riding weight)
    • The saddle really isn't comfortable on a longer ride - seems wide on the shoulders. Fabric scoop ordered
    • As per most reviews, Minion DHF on the front transforms the grip
    • Really can't see how you would knock your knees on the top tube unless you have rickets! you'd hit your legs on the rocker before the top tube- think this might have been a tongue in cheek comment!
    • Thought I'd want a shorter stem (60mm on the large - I'm 180cm) but felt spot on. Will go for wider bars though
    • hopefully invisiframe will have kit soon - downtube looks really vulnerable and might need more than that

I'm coming from a Transition Patrol so was slightly concerned about coming to a trail bike but very happy all round

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanJMc View Post
    Great question. I ordered a XL Comp that's available on 8/12, so hopefully I'll receive it in August. I asked their support this specific question. I'm considering a 2.6WT DHF front and a 2.5WT Aggressor rear. In regards to the 2.5:

"We have seen 2.4 tires on the IZZO. 2.5s may work, but could have the possibility to rub the stays, depending on the tire."

So, yeah, valid cause for concern here, especially after that Pinkbike review talking about marks on the chainstay. I might keep the stock Forekaster on the rear and see how that works out for a while until more people have tested the bike.
    Take this for what it's worth but in my experience YT tends to be very conservative when it comes to things like putting different parts on the bike. After ordering my Izzo I inquired about whether the bike would come with tubeless valves. I was told it didn't but the valves were in the box. When I bought my Jeffsy they wouldn't recommend tires bigger than the 2.4's that came stock. I ran 2.6's for over a year with no issues.

I think 2.5s will definitely work. I'm not sure about 2.6's but I'll check the tire clearance later.

mtbr member
    I'm coming from a Transition Patrol so was slightly concerned about coming to a trail bike but very happy all round
    I was on a 2018 Jeffsy 27 AL (150mm/150mm) and I had the same reservations. The Jeffsy is a beast going down. It's also a beast going up...but not in a great way. I hope to ride some burlier descents after work today so I should be able to get a little more insight as to how this thing handles rougher terrain, at least relative to my Jeffsy.

I haven't decided what I'm going to do about the fork at this point. For now I'm going to leave it at 130mm. I may bump it to 140 at some point.

I'm 5'10" tall (178cm) with long~ish arms and I find the size large Izzo to be comfortable with the 60mm stem. My Jeffsy was a medium and was a little cramped, even with a longer stem. The Izzo also seems more stable at speed, even with less squish than the Jeffsy. I really thought I'd be craving 780mm bars but so far the 760s are fine and I'm inclined to leave things alone. Time will tell, though, as I get more familiar with the bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Anyone with some time on the Izzo able to compare to the Sniper Trail? Sniper T definitely has more XC geo but I've heard it's very capable too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Anyone with some time on the Izzo able to compare to the Sniper Trail? Sniper T definitely has more XC geo but I've heard it's very capable too.
    Im hoping it will be more like the 2016-2019 intense primer, as that what I am swapping it out for. Sniper trail is more agressive xc than trail. Fox SC32 vs 34 big difference

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Im hoping it will be more like the 2016-2019 intense primer, as that what I am swapping it out for. Sniper trail is more agressive xc than trail. Fox SC32 vs 34 big difference
    Sniper T is also a 34 - 120 mm front and back though. It's hard to plunk down $5-6k without demoing. Double as hard when the ship date is a month out and you have time to second guess the purchase.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Sniper T is also a 34 - 120 mm front and back though. It's hard to plunk down $5-6k without demoing. Double as hard when the ship date is a month out and you have time to second guess the purchase.
    Ah ok, sorry. i stand corrected 👍

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    I just pulled the trigger on the Izzo Pro Race size Small today. The problem is, like other people have mentioned, paying $5,300 without demoing is a risk. I am 5'5 3/4 inches tall with an almost 29-inch inseam. So I fall exactly in the middle of the overlap of Sm/Md. I went Small because I am under the impression that it is more flickable and maneuverable if a short person has a small(?), closer to a 27.5 size bike(?). Having never ridden a YT Izzo, or any other YT, would you prefer to err towards the larger size or the smaller size? With YTs, which is easier to adjust, one that's too big or one that's too small? If I need to size up to a Medium, that's not a problem because i would get the bike in 5 weeks instead of 7. But I also don't want it to feel like I'm riding my Dad's bike either. By the way right now I have a Small 2019 SC Hightower CS 29er and sometimes it feels more maneuverable but sometimes it feels like too small a cockpit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020

The deciding factor was the availability, all the other builds were out of stock, so that left the Izzo Pro Racer and the Small or Medium were going to be delivered by end of July. That was the deciding factor for me. But now, since I spent two days trying to figure out what size to get, the Small is now being delivered the second week of August. It kind of defeats the purpose of paying for the most expensive one if it's not going to be here till end of summer. But, oh well, I still have a very nice 2019 SC Hightower CS for now, just tired of climbing all day on it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by reb4 View Post
    I just pulled the trigger on the Izzo Pro Race size Small today. The problem is, like other people have mentioned, paying $5,300 without demoing is a risk. I am 5'5 3/4 inches tall with an almost 29-inch inseam. So I fall exactly in the middle of the overlap of Sm/Md. I went Small because I am under the impression that it is more flickable and maneuverable if a short person has a small(?), closer to a 27.5 size bike(?). Having never ridden a YT Izzo, or any other YT, would you prefer to err towards the larger size or the smaller size? With YTs, which is easier to adjust, one that's too big or one that's too small? If I need to size up to a Medium, that's not a problem because i would get the bike in 5 weeks instead of 7. But I also don't want it to feel like I'm riding my Dad's bike either. By the way right now I have a Small 2019 SC Hightower CS 29er and sometimes it feels more maneuverable but sometimes it feels like too small a cockpit.
    Mine showed up this morning and I've stuck the bars, wheels and pedals on to size it up. Now got to work all day itching to get out on it!

I am between L and XL (at 6'1) and have sized down to an L for exactly that reason - I want this bike as a poppy playful bike rather than a long chunk busting plough bike. Sitting on it confirms that I made the right choice - whilst it feels a little smaller than my other bikes, it doesn't feel too small.

To make it feel longer you can:
    - slam the stem and use a riser stem and bars instead
    - put into high mode which increases reach to 480mm
    - Add 10mm to fork
    - Use offset bushings to slacken it out
    - use a 51mm offset fork to increase wheelbase

lots of options.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Having now sat on one, this is absolutely not an an issue.
    However it is prone to paint chips - mine has a small chip on the edge straight out of the box. I have contacted YT....

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Mine showed up this morning and I've stuck the bars, wheels and pedals on to size it up. Now got to work all day itching to get out on it!

I am between L and XL (at 6'1) and have sized down to an L for exactly that reason - I want this bike as a poppy playful bike rather than a long chunk busting plough bike. Sitting on it confirms that I made the right choice - whilst it feels a little smaller than my other bikes, it doesn't feel too small.

- Add 10mm to fork

lots of options.
    Congrats on your new bike! Look forward to hear how it feels compared to the Intense Primer V1. I am also currently on the Primer and am considering moving to the Izzo so look forward to hearing your thoughts.

mtbr member
    So I am 5'10 which puts me on the border of medium and large. I went with a large for a couple reasons. It has a 60mm step which leaves a lot of room to go with a 50mm or 40mm stem if needed. Also, I wanted the 150mm dropper that comes on the large vs. 125 found on the medium. Really the most important thing was the reach, though. My medium '18 Jeffsy 27 had a reach of 442 and it was cramped...even after I increased the stem from 50mm to 60mm. So the 472 reach on my Izzo is right where I want it. The reach on the Izzo might seem long on paper but the seat tube is steep, especially if you have a lower saddle height from being on a larger bike, if that makes sense. That steep seat tube eats into the reach a little.

My Izzo feels plenty playful. I only have 2 rides on it so far but I have absolutely no regrets going with the large. I have a 50mm stem that I might throw on it, maybe. The bigger bike has not been a problem with regards to bike handling on the trail.

mtbr member
    That steep seat tube eats into the reach a little.
    To clarify because I see a lot of people make this mistake (not saying you don't understand this), that steep seat tube angle eats into the top tube length, not reach. Reach is purely the horizontal distance between the bb and head tube, so the seat tube angle is not part of that at all. That is one reason I think people pay too much attention to the reach number - they compare that and don't pay as much attention to the top tube length and then find that the bike feels cramped. The Izzo has a longish reach, but shortish top tube. That seat tube is quite steep though, so pushing the saddle back could compensate for some riders. Doing so doesn't change the reach, but it changes the effective top tube and thus the seated position fit.

Thanks for posting your impressions on the bike. This is a great looking rig and I am seriously tempted to get one, so I appreciate the information.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bizango View Post
    To clarify because I see a lot of people make this mistake (not saying you don't understand this), that steep seat tube angle eats into the top tube length, not reach. Reach is purely the horizontal distance between the bb and head tube, so the seat tube angle is not part of that at all. That is one reason I think people pay too much attention to the reach number - they compare that and don't pay as much attention to the top tube length and then find that the bike feels cramped. The Izzo has a longish reach, but shortish top tube. That seat tube is quite steep though, so pushing the saddle back could compensate for some riders. Doing so doesn't change the reach, but it changes the effective top tube and thus the seated position fit.

Thanks for posting your impressions on the bike. This is a great looking rig and I am seriously tempted to get one, so I appreciate the information.
    You are indeed 100% correct. The jist of what I was saying is that the reach number can look big on paper but with the steep seat tube angle the saddle sits further forward relative to the BB thus shortening the distance to the bars a bit.

I think everyone focuses on reach because that's what all the big bike media outlets have been touting since measuring bikes by seat tube length went the way of the Dodo. Now that the trend is to make seat tubes steeper a specific reach measurement doesn't have the same effect on bike fit that it did just a year or 2 ago. Top tube length or effective top tube length is definitely a better way to get an idea on how a bike will fit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Great feedback so far.. I wish my bike would get here before August!!

Sounds like I made a good choice from the ride reports so far..

To echo what baddad said about downtube protection.. I wish YT would put thicker downtube armor on more bikes than just the Capra/Tues. I'll definitely be shaping a kydex downtube protector as soon as mine comes out of the box. vinyl is good for protecting from trail stripes & paint chips, but not real rock shots. A fair amount of my local trails are chunky large gravel/small rocks, and they're notorious downtube and shin killers.
    - YT Capra AL 27
    - Canyon Grail

mtbr member
    Jun 2020

Thank you

- Add 10mm to fork

lots of options.
    Thanks for the reply, richt2000. Those are all good suggestions and it's good to know I'll eventually end up with a good product. They do however require more money and time to get right and that is the risk of buying this way. If it weren't for availability, I think the best way to buy these is to buy the mid-level model to save more money and leave enough to have a local bike shop set it up right, cut the cables to a manageable level, and buy the necessary upgrades to tweak it to make it fit correctly. The tires definitely have to go because it is inviting road rash in some of the loose trails I ride but will give them a chance. Thanks again for the reply and I am looking forward to hearing more of your impressions and tweaks you've made in the future.

One thing I forgot to do was buy the extra derailleur hangar because I hear it takes a long time to get one if you bust it. I'll call to adjust my order. Is there anything else we should order and should have on hand? I also ordered the Body Bag, does anyone have this and is it worth the money? I'm not sure why I bought it because I'm not mechanically inclined so not sure how many times I'll take the bike apart enough to take it with me to Colorado on vacation.
    Last edited by reb4; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:11 AM. Reason: Bad spelling

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    So I am 5'10 which puts me on the border of medium and large. I went with a large for a couple reasons. It has a 60mm step which leaves a lot of room to go with a 50mm or 40mm stem if needed. Also, I wanted the 150mm dropper that comes on the large vs. 125 found on the medium. Really the most important thing was the reach, though. My medium '18 Jeffsy 27 had a reach of 442 and it was cramped...even after I increased the stem from 50mm to 60mm. So the 472 reach on my Izzo is right where I want it. The reach on the Izzo might seem long on paper but the seat tube is steep, especially if you have a lower saddle height from being on a larger bike, if that makes sense. That steep seat tube eats into the reach a little.

My Izzo feels plenty playful. I only have 2 rides on it so far but I have absolutely no regrets going with the large. I have a 50mm stem that I might throw on it, maybe. The bigger bike has not been a problem with regards to bike handling on the trail.
    I didn't think about the 100 mm Dropper Post that comes with the Small, that sounds pretty limited, doesn't it? I'm looking at my Hightower specs to compare and all it says is RockShox Reverb Stealth 31.6.

mtbr member
    I didn't think about the 100 mm Dropper Post that comes with the Small, that sounds pretty limited, doesn't it? I'm looking at my Hightower specs to compare and all it says is RockShox Reverb Stealth 31.6.
    100mm isn't a lot of drop but there is only so far you can go before your a$$ is getting buzzed by the rear tire....

So your Reverb has a 31.6mm seat post diameter. That has nothing to do with how much drop it has.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    100mm isn't a lot of drop but there is only so far you can go before your a$$ is getting buzzed by the rear tire....

So your Reverb has a 31.6mm seat post diameter. That has nothing to do with how much drop it has.
    You're right, I found the Seatpost Length on my Hightower and it's 125 mm for my Small vs the 100mm for the Izzo, how does that affect the fit though? Maybe I was confusing it with the amount of travel the dropper post was capable of. I do know that on my Hightower if I lean back too far on super gnarly steep trails, my ass will hit the back tire sometimes, Does that mean it's too small?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    You're right, I found the Seatpost Length on my Hightower and it's 125 mm for my Small vs the 100mm for the Izzo, how does that affect the fit though? Maybe I was confusing it with the amount of travel the dropper post was capable of. I do know that on my Hightower if I lean back too far on super gnarly steep trails, my ass will hit the back tire sometimes, Does that mean it's too small?
    It's the amount of drop. What you have to worry about with a dropper is being able to insert it far enough to get your saddle to the height you need.
    Different droppers have different insertable lengths and also have different lengths from the seat rail to the bottom of the collar. That's where is gets tricky.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Congrats on the new purchase Reb4 and thanks for reminding me to add a hangar to my order in your other comment. Do you ever have problems with a high seat on your Hightower? I find that on my trails the descents aren't long enough for me to drop the seat and keep it there for very long. Usually I'm dropping the seat, which requires me to sit on it, immediately going over the tire then coming back and popping the seat up again for flats or climbs. The only time I ever kept a seat down was in Whistler....on a rental bike.

Having now sat on one, this is absolutely not an an issue.
    However it is prone to paint chips - mine has a small chip on the edge straight out of the box. I have contacted YT....
    Good to know. For some reason I bang my knees all the time on punchy technical climbs. I think I steer with my knees when pedaling through high torque/slow speed climbs. Probably poor technique on my part.

Stoked to hear it's arrived Richt. I can't wait to hear how it rides.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Congrats on the new purchase Reb4 and thanks for reminding me to add a hangar to my order in your other comment. Do you ever have problems with a high seat on your Hightower? I find that on my trails the descents aren't long enough for me to drop the seat and keep it there for very long. Usually I'm dropping the seat, which requires me to sit on it, immediately going over the tire then coming back and popping the seat up again for flats or climbs. The only time I ever kept a seat down was in Whistler....on a rental bike.
    Yeah, I constantly move the seat up and down. The mountain by my house, Sweeney Ridge, starts out right off the bat, 2 miles straight up basically so I lift the seat up 90%-100% up and switch between them to get a different angle to rest my legs. Then it's great downhill on the other side and some flows so I put the seat down all the way for a long time, but then you need to climb up again. So to get a 13-14 mile ride I have to climb 2,500-3,500 feet. I do that 3-4 times a week which is why I want this Izzo because my legs are in a state of perpetual soreness hauling an all-mountain/trail bike up that much.

But here's a more confusing thing: I just test rode the Santa Cruz 5010 in 27.5 and I loved it. And being short, I am DEFINITELY a medium rider on 27.5. Now I'm trying to decide that if I am a Medium on a 27.5, will that translate to a Medium on the IZZO and need to change my order before the Mediums sell out. It's not just the $5,300 I just paid, but the long wait to find out I need a Medium instead would suck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017

But here's a more confusing thing: I just test rode the Santa Cruz 5010 in 27.5 and I loved it. And being short, I am DEFINITELY a medium rider on 27.5. Now I'm trying to decide that if I am a Medium on a 27.5, will that translate to a Medium on the IZZO and need to change my order before the Mediums sell out. It's not just the $5,300 I just paid, but the long wait to find out I need a Medium instead would suck.
    The 5010 is a sweet bike too. I'm going to guess your legs are still sore, you just get faster. If the 5010 fits well, I'd go with a medium - or buy the 5010?

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Does anyone know where to get an extra derailleur hanger? I can only find this one by using Google, they don't even have the Izzo as a listed bike in their parts section yet.

https://us.yt-industries.com/detail/index/sArticle/2490

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Also, I already have the standard FidLock bottle on my current hard tail, is it possible to transfer that over to the new bike or do you have to buy a bottle from YT with their own Fidlock mount? It looks like their mount is recessed into the frame.

mtbr member
    Derailleur hangers are not available yet.

The bike will fit a regular bottle cage and bottle. If you like fidlock and want to keep using the bottle you already have I would assume the frame mounted piece will fit, since the a regular bottle cage can be mounted. Maybe it won't be as clean looking as the YT branded mount? Try it and let us know.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Derailleur hangers are not available yet.

The bike will fit a regular bottle cage and bottle. If you like fidlock and want to keep using the bottle you already have I would assume the frame mounted piece will fit, since the a regular bottle cage can be mounted. Maybe it won't be as clean looking as the YT branded mount? Try it and let us know.
    OK good to know, maybe when the Thirstmaster 5000 is available again I'll buy that one since it's a bigger bottle. For now as long as I can use the existing Fidlock I should be good to go.

I just realized that my OneUP Air Pump probably won't fit on this bike which sucks. The mount normally screws onto the frame under the Fidlock mount. I may have to find some sort of way to put the spare tube and air pump on the top tool mount. The OneUP air pump has an opening where you put your tools, so I can't really just not use it otherwise I won't have a pump or my tools.

mtbr member
    OK good to know, maybe when the Thirstmaster 5000 is available again I'll buy that one since it's a bigger bottle. For now as long as I can use the existing Fidlock I should be good to go.

I just realized that my OneUP Air Pump probably won't fit on this bike which sucks. The mount normally screws onto the frame under the Fidlock mount. I may have to find some sort of way to put the spare tube and air pump on the top tool mount. The OneUP air pump has an opening where you put your tools, so I can't really just not use it otherwise I won't have a pump or my tools.
    I've got that pump as well. I haven't tried to mount it to the Izzo yet. I have the tool in the steerer tube and I carry a tube/CO2 strapped to the frame so I am not too worried about the pump. I think you're correct in assuming it won't fit with the fidlock mount as that is slightly recessed into the frame.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I've got that pump as well. I haven't tried to mount it to the Izzo yet. I have the tool in the steerer tube and I carry a tube/CO2 strapped to the frame so I am not too worried about the pump. I think you're correct in assuming it won't fit with the fidlock mount as that is slightly recessed into the frame.
    Do you know of a two bolt frame mount for tools? I've been trying different ways of googling it and it always comes back with either strap mount or bottle cage mounted tool systems.

mtbr member
    Do you know of a two bolt frame mount for tools? I've been trying different ways of googling it and it always comes back with either strap mount or bottle cage mounted tool systems.
    I think Pivot cycles is making one in conjunction with Topeak. I think I saw something from Wolftooth as well. Not sure about that one, though.

If you already have the OneUp tool why not just tap the steerer? It's very easy to do and the kit is only $30. It won't help with the pump situation but at least your tools would be taken care of.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    The 5010 is a sweet bike too. I'm going to guess your legs are still sore, you just get faster. If the 5010 fits well, I'd go with a medium - or buy the 5010?
    Well, I changed the order to a Medium, going on blind faith. I LOVED the 5010, just like I did when I was buying my Hightower, but sometimes you just need to keep an open mind to new options.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I think Pivot cycles is making one in conjunction with Topeak. I think I saw something from Wolftooth as well. Not sure about that one, though.

If you already have the OneUp tool why not just tap the steerer? It's very easy to do and the kit is only $30. It won't help with the pump situation but at least your tools would be taken care of.
    Yeah it was the Woolftooth B-Rad that I've seen before. That could work, something else that I'm wonder about is if I leave that blank plate on the down tube so it's not recessed and get longer screws. I may be able to mount my EDC Pump to it and then the regular Fidlock bottle on top of that, like a regular mount would be.

The only thing with the B-Rad type of mount is I wonder if it would be kind of wide and I'd hit my knees on it.

mtbr member
    Is the thirst master 5000 available for purchase anywhere?

2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Yeah it was the Woolftooth B-Rad that I've seen before. That could work, something else that I'm wonder about is if I leave that blank plate on the down tube so it's not recessed and get longer screws. I may be able to mount my EDC Pump to it and then the regular Fidlock bottle on top of that, like a regular mount would be.

The only thing with the B-Rad type of mount is I wonder if it would be kind of wide and I'd hit my knees on it.
    B-Rad...now there's a name!

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    B-Rad...now there's a name!
    LOL you were ahead of your time, but now you can literally strap yourself to your bike!

mtbr member
    The top tube is already fairly wide up at the head tube. I doubt the tool mount is going to be much wider, if at all.

----------------

To whomever is wondering about tire clearance. I didn't take any pictures or official measurements but I think a 2.6 tire is going to fit with no issues on the rear, at least on a size large. I have a 2.4 on mine right now and there looks to be at least .25" of clearance on both sides between the tire and the stays. I haven't noticed any excessive frame flex or anything either.

----------------

I'll say again that this thing is fast. I went for a ride after work yesterday on rolling singletrack. I did almost 17 miles in just under an hour and a half and set 18 PRs out of the 26 segments I rode. Standing pedaling with the suspension open results in very little pedal bob and the power goes right to the rear wheel. The lockout basically makes the bike a hardtail. I'm still playing around with suspension but I think it's almost dialed in.

The official YT IZZO thread-20200626_212423939_ios-2-.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    The top tube is already fairly wide up at the head tube. I doubt the tool mount is going to be much wider, if at all.

----------------

To whomever is wondering about tire clearance. I didn't take any pictures or official measurements but I think a 2.6 tire is going to fit with no issues on the rear, at least on a size large. I have a 2.4 on mine right now and there looks to be at least .25" of clearance on both sides between the tire and the stays. I haven't noticed any excessive frame flex or anything either.

----------------

I'll say again that this thing is fast. I went for a ride after work yesterday on rolling singletrack. I did almost 17 miles in just under an hour and a half and set 18 PRs out of the 26 segments I rode. Standing pedaling with the suspension open results in very little pedal bob and the power goes right to the rear wheel. The lockout basically makes the bike a hardtail. I'm still playing around with suspension but I think it's almost dialed in.

You're killing me with your reports, lol. Can't wait to get mine. Any plans on doing any rough terrain or descents in your area? Super curious how it handles that type of stuff, even though I have no thoughts that the 130mm 29'ers can't handle it. I think the long travel mentality is a product of YouTube these days and the Enduro Bro group. i personally don't need a bike that you just stand up and steam roll every downhill segment.

Also good to know about the top tube, it's funny because your setup right now is exactly how I have my hard tail. I have my bottle and EDC pump on the down tube and my spare tube on the top just like you do here. But yeah if I can mount it all inside the frame and keep it that little bit cleaner, it'll be just that little bit nicer of a setup.

mtbr member
    You're killing me with your reports, lol. Can't wait to get mine. Any plans on doing any rough terrain or descents in your area? Super curious how it handles that type of stuff, even though I have no thoughts that the 130mm 29'ers can't handle it. I think the long travel mentality is a product of YouTube these days and the Enduro Bro group. i personally don't need a bike that you just stand up and steam roll every downhill segment.

Also good to know about the top tube, it's funny because your setup right now is exactly how I have my hard tail. I have my bottle and EDC pump on the down tube and my spare tube on the top just like you do here. But yeah if I can mount it all inside the frame and keep it that little bit cleaner, it'll be just that little bit nicer of a setup.
    My second ride contained several rough, blown out, rooty descents. The bike handled it just fine. To be clear, I live in New Jersey. We don't have long sustained descents in my area. A descent for me is 2 or 3 minutes. I was feeling pretty sluggish that day and should have been taking an easy recovery ride but I was too excited and pedaled the Izzo up a couple thousand feet of elevation even though I was gassed. I still have to get the Izzo into the rocks and I have some fine tuning to do on the suspension setup so I'll offer some more comments on the descending. In my opinion 130mm is plenty if you want the bike to party.

Demon Cleaner

Name:	20200626_212423939_iOS (2).jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	415.4 KB 
ID:	1344599
    Good info. I already ordered a 2.3 to replace the Forkaster in the back (and a 2.6 for the front) but the main thing is that the possibility is there in the future. There's really no reason an XL with the longer chainstays shouldn't have more clearance except for lazy engineering.

Also have a 140 mm air shaft, 50 mm stem, and carbon 780 mm bars ready to go. My vision for the bike isn't exactly like YT. I have rowdy, rocky, rough trails, but I'm tired of winching my 33.5 lb 160 mm bike up 3500" days. I think this will be "enough" going down but crush the climbs.

Supposed to arrive Monday!

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Good info. I already ordered a 2.3 to replace the Forkaster in the back (and a 2.6 for the front) but the main thing is that the possibility is there in the future. There's really no reason an XL with the longer chainstays shouldn't have more clearance except for lazy engineering.

Also have a 140 mm air shaft, 50 mm stem, and carbon 780 mm bars ready to go. My vision for the bike isn't exactly like YT. I have rowdy, rocky, rough trails, but I'm tired of winching my 33.5 lb 160 mm bike up 3500" days. I think this will be "enough" going down but crush the climbs.

Agreed, it's great to know that we can change the tires because I don't want to slide out on my looser trails, but I won't change anything unless it's a fit issue. Being in my mid-50s, the pain of the 2,500-3,500 climbs with an enduro/trail bike, 3-4 times a week is outweighing the need to plow over everything going downhill. When you get older, it's not that you can't do stuff that you did when you were younger, it just takes longer recovery time or else you'll be in a perpetual state of soreness.

mtbr member

I was panning to go the same route with the stem, bars, and air spring but I wanted to get some miles in before changing anything for a baseline. So far I am pretty happy with how it's performing. I could see the 140mm air spring happening sooner rather than later but I'm not sure I'll swap the bars and stem. Honestly, the bike fits me pretty darn well the way it is.

Demon Cleaner
    I run Forkasters on my Yeti SB4.5c and have both 760 and 780 bars and have tried 130, 140, and 150 mm airshafts. I think everything on the Izzo is good to go but the front tire. I can't run a 2.35 Forkaster on the front. The rest is just fun and personal preference.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    One thing I forgot to do was buy the extra derailleur hangar because I hear it takes a long time to get one if you bust it. I'll call to adjust my order.
    Did they allow you to adjust the order? I was told "Unfortunately, we can not alter an order once it is submitted. " WTF? It's not scheduled to ship for a month. Anyone have experience with YT customer service? I'm finding that compared to Intense, GG and Alchemy, the customer service at YT isn't great.

There is one on sale at REI for $20. Not sure if it's the one you're looking for.

My second ride contained several rough, blown out, rooty descents. The bike handled it just fine. To be clear, I live in New Jersey. We don't have long sustained descents in my area. A descent for me is 2 or 3 minutes. I was feeling pretty sluggish that day and should have been taking an easy recovery ride but I was too excited and pedaled the Izzo up a couple thousand feet of elevation even though I was gassed. I still have to get the Izzo into the rocks and I have some fine tuning to do on the suspension setup so I'll offer some more comments on the descending. In my opinion 130mm is plenty if you want the bike to party.
    Thanks for helping all of us who are waiting with the ride reports. It helps to keep the stoke up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    There is one on sale at REI for $20. Not sure if it's the one you're looking for.
    Yeah it would be this one, just a simple mount to the frame that contains a strap:
    https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...y-mount#loaded

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Whoa.. gotta be more specific than that, I am in Jersey too . Up north we have plenty of long downhills. We have an enduro-ish track in Ringwood that has a KOM of over 20 minutes. Itís not straight down, but it is mostly decline in nature. Not what I would consider DH, but it is a good test for the Izzo.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    For anyone that ordered a Pro model that was scheduled for August 12th, the dates on the website changed today to October 7th. I contacted support and the orders for August are still set and haven't changed. I was worried all orders were pushed back, but it's just a new set of bikes scheduled for a new date.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Yeah it would be this one, just a simple mount to the frame that contains a strap:
    https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...y-mount#loaded
    I think I just slap on some vinyl frame protection and use my Voile buckle strap.

https://www.voilestraps.com/aluminum-buckle-straps.html

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    For anyone that ordered a Pro model that was scheduled for August 12th, the dates on the website changed today to October 7th. I contacted support and the orders for August are still set and haven't changed. I was worried all orders were pushed back, but it's just a new set of bikes scheduled for a new date.
    Yea, they also updated to show the XL Pro Race in stock... So I cancelled my Pro order and ordered a Pro Race.. I was on the fence before between and Pro Race/Pro, but the prospect of actually riding one this season was enough to bump me up to the big boy spec.. Not that I'm fast enough to need it lol..
    - YT Capra AL 27
    - Canyon Grail

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Ok first ride report. Izzo Pro Race, Size large.
    As other have said, it looks amazing in the flesh Ė much better than the photos. The XMC1200 wheels are MEGA!
    Swapped the brakes over to UK style, Swapped tires for a Magic Mary 2.35 Snakeskin Addix Soft on front, and a Nobby Nic 2.25 on rear, changed the stem for a 50mm and took it out.

Size wise, Iím 6í1Ē / 185cm with very long legs for my height Ė 35Ē inseam, so I like bikes with steep seat angles (so my ass doesnít end up over the cassette) and not too crazy reach and eTT. My other 29ers are a Firebird 29 (also in Large) and a Transition Vanquish (Large). The izzo feels quite a bit shorter reach than the Firebird 29 which surprises me as there is only 3mm reach difference, and when I overlaid photos of each bike on photoshop they were almost identical. I am going to slam the stem and use a higher riser bar to eeek out 3mm more reach, and maybe try the high mode, which according to Pink bike bumps the reach up to 480mm.

I have owned and demoed a lot of bikes, so Iíll try to compare as I go along.

Mine had very small 1mm paint chip on angled part of top tube Ė make sure you invis frame this part asap, it definitely prone area. I contacted YT and they offered me £40 so I took that. As its mat black with mat black carbon underneath you can only see it if you look for it.

First impressions Ė Climbing.
    Its good. Its really really good. Its as efficient as a Stump jumper 29 ST (120mm), maybe even a hair better (memory fades to be sure). Itís quicker than my old Intense Primer mk1, Evil Following and YT Jeffsy 29 mk1 for sure. Its quicker than the latest Santa Cruz Tallboy 2020 by a long way, and way quicker than a Pivot Switchblade 2020 or Evil Offering. Quicker than a Nukeproof Reactor.
    It is really grippy too on technical climbs, and thats with only a 2.25 tire on rear Ė it does hug the ground nicely. In summary it is very efficient, quicker than most out there, and still is very confident at tech climbs Ė not far behind the Evil Offering which is class leading.
    BB is low. Really low Ė like 325mm low. Thatís the same as a Stump jumper EVO, and lower than the Nukeproof Reactor. I did get one rock strike on a semi-technical climb, but I like low BBs and so I donít think itís a problem for my terrain yet, I need to try it on a proper tech climbs.

First Impressions Ė Descending.

Gets up to speed quickly, and the low BB means it corners/carves really well. My FB29 has a 44mm offset fork on it as well, but it is slacked out to 64 degrees, and with only 66 head angle the IZZO felt a little strange at low speed. Iím looking forward to taking it down some mega steep trails as the only criticism I have of 44 offset is sometimes it can feel like the front wheel is folding in under you when you corner on a steep chute. I am going to try a 51mm offset fork soon anyway.
    Greatly confident and instantly likeable. It only took one decent to realise that this is not the XC orientated bike that the reviews point towards. They say its not a Ďmini-enduroí bike, but a Trail bike. Well The new Switchblade 2020 is geared as a mini-enduro bike and the izzo is as confident and as plush. In fact it feels really similar to it on the downs, except the IZZO is lower and feels more planted. Itís a rocket. I hit some off camber roots on it and it took them amazingly for a 130mm travel bike. In fact it dealt with them better than a lot of 150mm bikes Iíve ridden. Iím really really impressed. I want to eeak out a little more reach and possibly wheelbase and then it will be super confident. Its very poppy, and very natural in the air. I had no qualms hitting a ski-run type jump and a gap over a stream on my second run. No issue with tire buzzings yet.

So whats up next? Ride 2 I will try a 140mm 36 44mm offset as I kept hold of the one off my evil offering to try it on this before maybe selling it, weíll see how it feels. Then I will try a 130mm 51mm offset (only because I have one on my hardtail).

O by the way, Fox 34 felt fine Ė not sure if fox have improved stiffness on these since 2018 (doubt it) but it actually felt really good.
    Next update to follow. First impressions are very very good. Much prefer it to the 2020 Tallboy, Switch blade, Stumpjumper and my old Intense PrimerÖ. It kind of reminds me of my mk1 Jeffsy, but a lot better climber AND a lot better descenderÖ

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Ugh, come on late August where you at? lol. It's funny because I had a post on Reddit wondering about this bike or a Canyon Neuron, there was a guy in there that literally would not leave me alone about buying an Enduro bike and not getting a 130mm travel bike. Literally convinced that an Enduro bike is the only bike anyone will ever need, I had to stop replying to him. You all posting ride reviews here just cement how happy I am with my decision on ordering the Izzo.

I'm looking forward to finally getting off of my hard tail because pedaling over roots on a hard tail is getting really old, and here in Central Florida all of the trails are a lot of pedaling, a lot of quick/short ups and downs, and a whole lot of roots.

Pretty cool to see your experience with it versus so many bikes for sure! Even though I'm not good enough to really push any of these bikes to their max, it's always good to know your money is well spent. I look forward to taking it to North Carolina on my trips too and doing some downhill rides with it every now and then. I haven't done any trails up there yet because I just now got a bike rack and haven't been able to pack my hard tail for any of the trips.

I am looking forward to the Ghostship Green though, I have to be honest. Sounds like the wait will be worth it, I'll just keep plowing roots on my hard tail for now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Did they allow you to adjust the order? I was told "Unfortunately, we can not alter an order once it is submitted. " WTF? It's not scheduled to ship for a month. Anyone have experience with YT customer service? I'm finding that compared to Intense, GG and Alchemy, the customer service at YT isn't great.

Thanks for helping all of us who are waiting with the ride reports. It helps to keep the stoke up.
    I didn't try to adjust the order itself to add the derailleur, but I was able to change my order from a Small Izzo Pro Race to the Medium, but it was a short two-step process.
    1) I was told to rebuy the bike but use the Bank transfer type of payment since it takes a couple of days to transfer, so it gives them time to adjust the order
    2) I was told to reply to the original email that customer service sent confirming the first order, tell them I bought the wrong size, gave them the new order confirmation number, and to apply this original payment to the new one so they wouldn't take an additional $5,800 from my bank account.
    3) Wait for a follow-up email from Customer Service confirming that the payment from the original was applied to the new order, and it came within a day. I hope this helps if people have to make adjustments to an order or change their minds and prefer a Jeffsy or something instead.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by steelerector View Post
    Yea, they also updated to show the XL Pro Race in stock... So I cancelled my Pro order and ordered a Pro Race.. I was on the fence before between and Pro Race/Pro, but the prospect of actually riding one this season was enough to bump me up to the big boy spec.. Not that I'm fast enough to need it lol..
    Ok, I'm confused, I ordered the Pro Race the day before yesterday and it showed 7/29/20 as the delivery date when I bought it. Does that mean that the delivery date I bought it under is now going to be a month late, or does it mean the NEW orders from now on will be the later date?

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Ok, I'm confused, I ordered the Pro Race the day before yesterday and it showed 7/29/20 as the delivery date when I bought it. Does that mean that the delivery date I bought it under is now going to be a month late, or does it mean the NEW orders from now on will be the later date?
    From what I got back today about my Pro it's just the new orders. The Pro's were moved back to 10/7 for current orders on the website, but mine is still scheduled for August.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I think I just slap on some vinyl frame protection and use my Voile buckle strap.

https://www.voilestraps.com/aluminum-buckle-straps.html
    Yeah I've used these for a while now and love them, but I don't want to use straps on a nice new carbon frame. I don't mind doing it on my aluminum hard tail which is nowhere near $4k. I have some spare invisiframe type of protection (VShield 3M from Amazon, seems to work ok though) from my other bikes, hopefully I don't need to buy more. I think I might be out of the wider sets for down tubes and top tubes.

https://www.oneupcomponents.com/products/edc-gear-strap

mtbr member
    Whoa.. gotta be more specific than that, I am in Jersey too . Up north we have plenty of long downhills. We have an enduro-ish track in Ringwood that has a KOM of over 20 minutes. Itís not straight down, but it is mostly decline in nature. Not what I would consider DH, but it is a good test for the Izzo.
    i'm in central Jersey. My after work spot is Hartshorne Woods. I really need to get up north a little more!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Hereís a route for you, take a look at elevation profile for miles 5-8.

i'm in central Jersey. My after work spot is Hartshorne Woods. I really need to get up north a little more!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Ok first ride report. Izzo Pro Race, Size large.
    As other have said, it looks amazing in the flesh Ė much better than the photos. The XMC1200 wheels are MEGA!
    Swapped the brakes over to UK style, Swapped tires for a Magic Mary 2.35 Snakeskin Addix Soft on front, and a Nobby Nic 2.25 on rear, changed the stem for a 50mm and took it out.

Size wise, Iím 6í1Ē / 185cm with very long legs for my height Ė 35Ē inseam, so I like bikes with steep seat angles (so my ass doesnít end up over the cassette) and not too crazy reach and eTT. My other 29ers are a Firebird 29 (also in Large) and a Transition Vanquish (Large). The izzo feels quite a bit shorter reach than the Firebird 29 which surprises me as there is only 3mm reach difference, and when I overlaid photos of each bike on photoshop they were almost identical. I am going to slam the stem and use a higher riser bar to eeek out 3mm more reach, and maybe try the high mode, which according to Pink bike bumps the reach up to 480mm.

I have owned and demoed a lot of bikes, so Iíll try to compare as I go along.

Mine had very small 1mm paint chip on angled part of top tube Ė make sure you invis frame this part asap, it definitely prone area. I contacted YT and they offered me £40 so I took that. As its mat black with mat black carbon underneath you can only see it if you look for it.

First impressions Ė Climbing.
    Its good. Its really really good. Its as efficient as a Stump jumper 29 ST (120mm), maybe even a hair better (memory fades to be sure). Itís quicker than my old Intense Primer mk1, Evil Following and YT Jeffsy 29 mk1 for sure. Its quicker than the latest Santa Cruz Tallboy 2020 by a long way, and way quicker than a Pivot Switchblade 2020 or Evil Offering. Quicker than a Nukeproof Reactor.
    It is really grippy too on technical climbs, and thats with only a 2.25 tire on rear Ė it does hug the ground nicely. In summary it is very efficient, quicker than most out there, and still is very confident at tech climbs Ė not far behind the Evil Offering which is class leading.
    BB is low. Really low Ė like 325mm low. Thatís the same as a Stump jumper EVO, and lower than the Nukeproof Reactor. I did get one rock strike on a semi-technical climb, but I like low BBs and so I donít think itís a problem for my terrain yet, I need to try it on a proper tech climbs.

First Impressions Ė Descending.

Gets up to speed quickly, and the low BB means it corners/carves really well. My FB29 has a 44mm offset fork on it as well, but it is slacked out to 64 degrees, and with only 66 head angle the IZZO felt a little strange at low speed. Iím looking forward to taking it down some mega steep trails as the only criticism I have of 44 offset is sometimes it can feel like the front wheel is folding in under you when you corner on a steep chute. I am going to try a 51mm offset fork soon anyway.
    Greatly confident and instantly likeable. It only took one decent to realise that this is not the XC orientated bike that the reviews point towards. They say its not a Ďmini-enduroí bike, but a Trail bike. Well The new Switchblade 2020 is geared as a mini-enduro bike and the izzo is as confident and as plush. In fact it feels really similar to it on the downs, except the IZZO is lower and feels more planted. Itís a rocket. I hit some off camber roots on it and it took them amazingly for a 130mm travel bike. In fact it dealt with them better than a lot of 150mm bikes Iíve ridden. Iím really really impressed. I want to eeak out a little more reach and possibly wheelbase and then it will be super confident. Its very poppy, and very natural in the air. I had no qualms hitting a ski-run type jump and a gap over a stream on my second run. No issue with tire buzzings yet.

So whats up next? Ride 2 I will try a 140mm 36 44mm offset as I kept hold of the one off my evil offering to try it on this before maybe selling it, weíll see how it feels. Then I will try a 130mm 51mm offset (only because I have one on my hardtail).

O by the way, Fox 34 felt fine Ė not sure if fox have improved stiffness on these since 2018 (doubt it) but it actually felt really good.
    Next update to follow. First impressions are very very good. Much prefer it to the 2020 Tallboy, Switch blade, Stumpjumper and my old Intense PrimerÖ. It kind of reminds me of my mk1 Jeffsy, but a lot better climber AND a lot better descenderÖ
    Wow what a great review. So useful.

One of my thoughts is also changing the fork to a 51mm offset pike. I can't wait for your next review when you try it!

Demon Cleaner

XL Pro Race

My XL Pro Race came in at 27.7 lbs w/o pedals

After a tire and seat change and going tubless it went up to 28.8 (a little bummed at gaining that much even after losing some with the new seat and ditching tubes). Running Butcher 2.6 in front and Slaughter 2.3 in the rear.

Plenty of rear tire clearance. I think 2.6 will go in the back.

The official YT IZZO thread-img_5797.jpg
    The official YT IZZO thread-img_8469.jpg
    The official YT IZZO thread-img_8961.jpg

Name:	IMG_8961.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	190.7 KB 
ID:	1345421

Ran out of steam after that so the 140 mm air shaft and maybe stem and bars will have to wait until tomorrow. I hope to get saddle time on Wednesday evening.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The official YT IZZO thread-img_1383.jpg  

The official YT IZZO thread-img_7987.jpg  

Demon Cleaner
    A couple of questions that are probably too soon but maybe useful discussion items as more of these appear in the wild.

1) How are you setting up the rear shock? Sag %, your body weight, other settings?
    I'm 180 ready to ride and put about 175 lbs in the shock. That got me to about 16 mm of sag which is probably too much. No riding yet so haven't gone beyond that. Also, it's a PITA to put air in or out. The adapter tube YT supplies leaks...

2) Does anyone have a tool/tube bag idea for the under the top tube bottle mount screws? I'm really liking that addition, but it isn't clear to me what the best mount might be. I'd like to secure a tube, CO2, tire iron, and maybe multi-tool.

mtbr member
    A couple of questions that are probably too soon but maybe useful discussion items as more of these appear in the wild.

1) How are you setting up the rear shock? Sag %, your body weight, other settings?
    I'm 180 ready to ride and put about 175 lbs in the shock. That got me to about 16 mm of sag which is probably too much. No riding yet so haven't gone beyond that. Also, it's a PITA to put air in or out. The adapter tube YT supplies leaks...
    I'm running 25% sag which equates to 14mm at the moment. I'm between 205 and 210 ready to ride, and I have 220psi in the rear shock. I have rebound set to 4 clicks from closed for what that's worth. I haven't used full travel, yet, so I may swap the stock volume spacer for a smaller one. I haven't even opened the shock to see which spacer is in there, yet.

The shock adapter from YT is total garbage. I picked up a Topeak shock adapter that's much better. I'm still not a fan of adjusting the shock but it is what it is at this point.

mtbr member
    Hereís a route for you, take a look at elevation profile for miles 5-8.
    I'd love to see that route...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    2) Does anyone have a tool/tube bag idea for the under the top tube bottle mount screws? I'm really liking that addition, but it isn't clear to me what the best mount might be. I'd like to secure a tube, CO2, tire iron, and maybe multi-tool.
    This is what I plan on using for a spare tube, they have a small and larger size available too.

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...d-mount#loaded

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    One thing I forgot to look at because it wasn't in the spec on the website when I ordered is the standover height. I guess I just assumed that modern trail bikes have pretty good standover heights nowadays with he lower bottom brackets. Does anyone know what the standover height is supposed to be with a medium frame?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    One thing I forgot to look at because it wasn't in the spec on the website when I ordered is the standover height. I guess I just assumed that modern trail bikes have pretty good standover heights nowadays with he lower bottom brackets. Does anyone know what the standover height is supposed to be with a medium frame?
    All stand over heights are on the pink bike review. They seemed a little strange that larger sized has smaller standover, but Dan at pinkbike rechecked that they were correcr (well what had been provided by YT)

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    RIDE 2 - With Fox 36 140mm 44mm offset. Saddle slammed forward to compensate for slacker seat angle. BB raises to 333mm (more than expected), wheelbase extends to 1220mm (size large) and head angle now sits at 65.3 degrees. About 1lb heavier.

Ok, so a fairly short ride, only 1500ft of climbing and 3 descents, but it was enough to get a feel for the difference. Climbing, made very little difference, but harder to say because my legs were not fresh. Nothing in in. BB higher, so will clear rocks better.

Descending, a lot more confident as to be expected, felt a lot stiffer in the front. However now the front feels a lot beefier than the rear, and the bike does feel less balanced. Generally I prefer this combo, but it did feel a bit more balanced / snappy before with 130... Need to ride it again. Maybe the pike would be the sweet spot which is between the two forks in both weight and stiffness. Nit picking here. For most people, a $40 140 airshaft will be the best bet...

44mm offset on 140 felt fine, did some really steep stuff and no issues. I'll still try a 51mm but I don't think it will be an improvement. Hit a very small road type gap on it (only 10ft wide and 4ft drop to easy falling-away landing) - its super confident!

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    All stand over heights are on the pink bike review. They seemed a little strange that larger sized has smaller standover, but Dan at pinkbike rechecked that they were correcr (well what had been provided by YT)
    Yeah, I saw that and dismissed it thinking it was incorrect. That's pretty tall for a small, even for the Medium. That's a 28+ inch inseam, and most people under 5'6 like they say should fit a small and the start of the Medium are like a 29-inch inseam or less, and even that is smashing your junk, lol.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yeah, I saw that and dismissed it thinking it was incorrect. That's pretty tall for a small, even for the Medium. That's a 28+ inch inseam, and most people under 5'6 like they say should fit a small and the start of the Medium are like a 29-inch inseam or less, and even that is smashing your junk, lol.
    Its because shock is mounted vertically. What with the mud collector, shock and rocker link, there is no way they can get lower...

mtbr member
    RIDE 2 - With Fox 36 140mm 44mm offset. Saddle slammed forward to compensate for slacker seat angle. BB raises to 333mm (more than expected), wheelbase extends to 1220mm (size large) and head angle now sits at 65.3 degrees. About 1lb heavier.

Ok, so a fairly short ride, only 1500ft of climbing and 3 descents, but it was enough to get a feel for the difference. Climbing, made very little difference, but harder to say because my legs were not fresh. Nothing in in. BB higher, so will clear rocks better.

Descending, a lot more confident as to be expected, felt a lot stiffer in the front. However now the front feels a lot beefier than the rear, and the bike does feel less balanced. Generally I prefer this combo, but it did feel a bit more balanced / snappy before with 130... Need to ride it again. Maybe the pike would be the sweet spot which is between the two forks in both weight and stiffness. Nit picking here. For most people, a $40 140 airshaft will be the best bet...

44mm offset on 140 felt fine, did some really steep stuff and no issues. I'll still try a 51mm but I don't think it will be an improvement. Hit a very small road type gap on it (only 10ft wide and 4ft drop to easy falling-away landing) - its super confident!
    Very nice report! How do you have the rear setup? How much sag are you running?

I'm running 25% sag in the rear. For me weighing in at 205-210 pounds all geared up that's about 210 psi. I have rebound set at 4 clicks from closed. I think it's feeling pretty good now. I use most of the travel on my tamer after work rides but there is still some left for a bigger hit.

I did order a new shock pump with a shorter head on it. I can't take fiddling around with adapters anymore. I'm kicking myself because the pump that came with my '18 Jeffsy would have worked perfectly but I gave it to my brother. DOH!

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I did order a new shock pump with a shorter head on it. I can't take fiddling around with adapters anymore. I'm kicking myself because the pump that came with my '18 Jeffsy would have worked perfectly but I gave it to my brother. DOH!
    I'd be interested in what shock pump you ordered as long as it's an easy fit. I did order the Topeak adapter, but if it's still a pain to use I don't mind ordering a better pump. Right now I have a Rockshox pump which is pretty standard I'd say. I figure I might as well use your pain and suffering so I'm more prepared when I get my bike in August, lol. Thanks for being a great Beta tester!

mtbr member
    I'd be interested in what shock pump you ordered as long as it's an easy fit. I did order the Topeak adapter, but if it's still a pain to use I don't mind ordering a better pump. Right now I have a Rockshox pump which is pretty standard I'd say. I figure I might as well use your pain and suffering so I'm more prepared when I get my bike in August, lol. Thanks for being a great Beta tester!
    I ordered just a regular Fox shock pump. It actually looks like the same one that came with my '18 Jeffsy. YT must have just had them re-branded. The pump YT now includes with the bike looks to be a re-branded Rockshox shock pump. It has a head that's just a bit too long and too wide to get it straight on the Shrader valve of the shock.

The issue I have with the Topeak adapter is that to release a little air from the shock you need to turn the little black thumb wheel. There is almost no room to do that with the shock being positioned "upside down" in the frame. Every time I have tried to let out just a few pounds I've ended up letting out a significant amount of the air in the shock. It's really not ideal and has left me very frustrated on a couple occasions now.

Including a shock pump that fits as-is should've been a priority to YT on bike with a design like this, especially since they used to include exactly that with prior bikes. It's only $30 for me to buy retail but it's still an annoyance.

Demon Cleaner
    Hell, even the pump extension YT provides would be a decent solution if it worked, but the dam thing is a crapper so they may as well not have bothered. I'll be curious to hear how the FOX pump works. I also used to have one of those...do'ho.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Do you ride or stand on the bike?
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Do you ride or stand on the bike?
    That is a valid question. The reason it is a problem with shorter riders on a 29er is that 90% of my falls have been tipping over. For example when you get hung up and tight switchback or a sudden step-up that you didn't quite clear and you go off the side. That's when you feel like you are stepping off a ledge, especially if the trail is at an angle and where you are stepping off is even lower than where your tire is. That one inch of clearance is the difference between just putting your foot down or tumbling.

Demon Cleaner
    NBD ride this evening. Nice ride, cool weather, lots of climbing for an evening ride, and quite a bit of hike-a-bike. 7.5 miles and 2300 feet of climbing.

Izzo Pro Race XL
    140 mm air shaft on front
    780 mm bars and 50 mm stem
    Specialized Butcher 2.6 and Slaughter 2.3

The official YT IZZO thread-cerro-alto.jpg

Climbing: The bike climbs excellent. No surprise as that's its thing. Coming from a Yeti 4.5 c (27 lbs) and an Evil Wreckoning (34 lbs) the Izzo felt almost as efficient as the Yeti and almost as planted (when open) as the Wreckoning. To be fair the Yeti does feel more efficient in a wide-open setting but the ease with which the Izzo can be switched between locked out and open made the Izzo feel really rewarding. The steeper seat tube angle on the Izzo is also a huge benefit and allows, mostly, seated climbing even in the steep steeps. Still, if I was going to go all out on a timed 1-2 mile climb I would probably take the Yeti.

Over rougher climbing sections with the suspension open the Izzo felt really smooth and capable. Less pedal kickback than the Yeti, much easier to sit and spin over things. Not as planted at the Wreckoning, but so much lighter and efficient.

I was very happy with the lockout feature. It's going to take some getting used to in terms of learning to operate the control, but the bike sits higher with the rear shock locked out and it's a very noticeable efficiency gain. The higher ride also helps with pedal clearance. This is going to be fun and a "big deal."

Descending: I bought the bike primarily hoping to get "good" descending and "excellent" climbing. I'm very impressed so far with how it descends. The bike is long, low, and slack(enough). Duh! But it hits all those notes in a very predictable and composed way. Today's ride had lots of rocky ledgy drops with loose, off-camber turns and edges. The bike made those all feel easy and never felt skittish (SB 4.5 like...!). The most notable characteristic for me was how stiff the bike felt. My Wreckoning also has that feel but the Izzo feels even more substantial. I do still need to work on the suspension set up. If I'd taken the Wreckoning on today's ride I don't think I would have felt much arm pump, but I was getting a lot more pump than I"m used to on the Izzo.

I have a Fox 34 on my Yeti but on the Izzo it didn't' feel flexy. I had no concerns or issues whatsoever. This could be a thing for someone who is pushing it fast enough through the chunk, but with the 140 airshaft I felt that the front end was plenty stiff and supportive. Once the seals break-in, I'll fiddle with setup a bit to see if I can get a little more comfortable.

Also, on my XL bike, there were 3 tokens installed. I removed two when I changed the airshaft. I may end up with 2 but for my ride style (ability) I don't need 3.

Some little complaints and "things to be aware of"

1. Setting up the rear shock is a PITA. Do yourself a favor and order a different shock pump or something from the start. I still don't have a good system for airing the rear shock up or down.

2. Watch out for the cable grommets. If you're not careful pushing them back into place, they'll slip right into the frame. Ask me how I know.

3. The cables are a mess and way too long. I knew that (it's a YT) but getting them all cut down is a huge time suck and not fun. Still working on it.

4. The steerer tube is on the short side. If I was taller (I used to be 6' 1" but probably closer to 6' these days), I would be pretty unhappy. The 780 bars I added have a bit of rise (15mm?) but it would have been nice to have 10-15 mm of steerer to play with.

For what it's worth.

The official YT IZZO thread-img_2715.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Climbing: The bike climbs excellent. No surprise as that's its thing. Coming from a Yeti 4.5 c (27 lbs) and an Evil Wreckoning (34 lbs) the Izzo felt almost as efficient as the Yeti and almost as planted (when open) as the Wreckoning. To be fair the Yeti does feel more efficient in a wide-open setting but the ease with which the Izzo can be switched between locked out and open made the Izzo feel really rewarding. The steeper seat tube angle on the Izzo is also a huge benefit and allows, mostly, seated climbing even in the steep steeps. Still, if I was going to go all out on a timed 1-2 mile climb I would probably take the Yeti.
    Thank you very much for the review. It's great to start reading some real-world reviews. A quick question, considering you added more travel, changed the tires and made some component changes that probably changed the climbing performance and geometry, do you think if you had left it stock, that it would have climbed as well as the Yeti? Considering that bthat's how they designed to get the best performance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    NBD ride this evening. Nice ride, cool weather, lots of climbing for an evening ride, and quite a bit of hike-a-bike. 7.5 miles and 2300 feet of climbing.

Izzo Pro Race XL

Name:	Cerro Alto.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	354.4 KB 
ID:	1345801

Over rougher climbing sections with the suspension open the Izzo felt really smooth and capable. Less pedal kickback than the Yeti, much easier to sit and spin over things. Not as planted at the Wreckoning, but so much lighter and efficient.

I was very happy with the lockout feature. It's going to take some getting used to in terms of learning to operate the control, but the bike sits higher with the rear shock locked out and it's a very noticeable efficiency gain. The higher ride also helps with pedal clearance. This is going to be fun and a "big deal."

Descending: I bought the bike primarily hoping to get "good" descending and "excellent" climbing. I'm very impressed so far with how it descends. The bike is long, low, and slack(enough). Duh! But it hits all those notes in a very predictable and composed way. Today's ride had lots of rocky ledgy drops with loose, off-camber turns and edges. The bike made those all feel easy and never felt skittish (SB 4.5 like...!). The most notable characteristic for me was how stiff the bike felt. My Wreckoning also has that feel but the Izzo feels even more substantial. I do still need to work on the suspension set up. If I'd taken the Wreckoning on today's ride I don't think I would have felt much arm pump, but I was getting a lot more pump than I"m used to on the Izzo.

I have a Fox 34 on my Yeti but on the Izzo it didn't' feel flexy. I had no concerns or issues whatsoever. This could be a thing for someone who is pushing it fast enough through the chunk, but with the 140 airshaft I felt that the front end was plenty stiff and supportive. Once the seals break-in, I'll fiddle with setup a bit to see if I can get a little more comfortable.

Also, on my XL bike, there were 3 tokens installed. I removed two when I changed the airshaft. I may end up with 2 but for my ride style (ability) I don't need 3.

Some little complaints and "things to be aware of"

1. Setting up the rear shock is a PITA. Do yourself a favor and order a different shock pump or something from the start. I still don't have a good system for airing the rear shock up or down.

2. Watch out for the cable grommets. If you're not careful pushing them back into place, they'll slip right into the frame. Ask me how I know.

3. The cables are a mess and way too long. I knew that (it's a YT) but getting them all cut down is a huge time suck and not fun. Still working on it.

4. The steerer tube is on the short side. If I was taller (I used to be 6' 1" but probably closer to 6' these days), I would be pretty unhappy. The 780 bars I added have a bit of rise (15mm?) but it would have been nice to have 10-15 mm of steerer to play with.

For what it's worth.

Name:	IMG_2715.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	494.9 KB 
ID:	1345803
    Another great review to read slowly while having a coffee. A lot of useful info. One of the first things Iíll do will be to change to a 780 bar and a 50mm stem.

Thanks!

mtbr member

Izzo Pro Race XL

Name:	Cerro Alto.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	354.4 KB 
ID:	1345801
    Nice writeup indeed! I agree with all of your points.

The suspension is very capable. I also went from 3 tokens to 1 in my Fox 34. I'm still at 130mm of travel but I think 140mm will be happening soon.

I also went to a 50mm stem. The bike feels really great with the 50 on in. I did a few rides with the stock 60mm stem and I could have lived with it but I am on the shorter side of fitting on a large so the 50 is perfect.

I am considering replacing the twistloc with a RockShox OneLoc remote. I think it would be more intuitive to use and would allow me to change the grips to something a little more my style.

I can't decide if I want to replace the bars with 780s. A couple of the trails I ride on a regular basis are very tight in spots. I've actually enjoyed the added clearance of the 760s.

The cables are driving me nuts but I'd rather spend time riding right now than trimming cables and hoses so it will have to wait...

I do have a question that I haven't seen addressed anywhere. Are the internal cables fully guided through the frame? That would make the chore of shortening the cables and hoses and replacing them down the road much easier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast