The official YT IZZO thread - Page 5- Mtbr.com
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 801 to 859 of 859
  1. #801
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    5
    Finally received my Small Izzo Pro Race after over 4 months. What a beast of a bike. I'm only 5'1" (155cm) but the small feels great. It fits small for sure, so I can see why taller people are upsizing. Few things I found interesting:

    1. It really is low. Had more pedal touches on this bike more than any I've ever owned.

    2. The twistloc worked out of the box, but it unlocks without pressing the button. So I'll see if they will replace it with an updated version. So far I prefer the Scott TwinLock!

    3. I wish it drained water under the shock, it's a pain to clean!

    4. The tires are kind of weird. Definitely not great in the mud! But very easy to convert to tubeless with the provided stems and the thin thin sidewalls.

    5. The Fidlock waterbottle sucks in wet conditions. Lost the bottle 2x!

  2. #802
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    1
    Those of you that says it is like a XC bike, really fast and so on. Are you all old enduro/downhill riders? It sounds a bit strange to call an 130mm bike with this geo for almost ĒXCĒ.

    I dont want an old pure XC with 100mm travel but I still want a fast bike. It sounds a bit too good to be true with how fast it is? I have a 8 year old Radon hardtail now so maybe I should not expect too much? (One month from delivery).

    My older colleague who compete on a lower XC level said it sounded like I have ordered an enduro bike when he heard 130mm and no front lockout... (Maybe he exaggerated a bit).

  3. #803
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by Pont View Post
    Those of you that says it is like a XC bike, really fast and so on. Are you all old enduro/downhill riders? It sounds a bit strange to call an 130mm bike with this geo for almost ĒXCĒ.

    I dont want an old pure XC with 100mm travel but I still want a fast bike. It sounds a bit too good to be true with how fast it is? I have a 8 year old Radon hardtail now so maybe I should not expect too much? (One month from delivery).

    My older colleague who compete on a lower XC level said it sounded like I have ordered an enduro bike when he heard 130mm and no front lockout... (Maybe he exaggerated a bit).
    The front locks out. My pro race can be fully rigid. It's fast, but nothing will be xc as good as an xc bike. Compared to my friends sb100 id say it pedaled damn near as good or as well.
    It was 27.5lb with pedals. It's not an enduro bike by any means. And I bet you could climb really rocky tech trails just as fast.

  4. #804
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    5
    Doesnít feel that XC to me. Coming from XC hardtail and 100mm bikes like Cannondale Scalpel, this is a whole new experience for me.

    But on my local trails, instantly faster by quite a lot. The bumps that displaced the bike before are just taken straight now. Having to brake in certain corners now and getting air constantly is too fun.

    They marketed this bike right.

  5. #805
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by shoedrift View Post
    Finally received my Small Izzo Pro Race after over 4 months. What a beast of a bike. I'm only 5'1" (155cm) but the small feels great. It fits small for sure, so I can see why taller people are upsizing. Few things I found interesting:

    1. It really is low. Had more pedal touches on this bike more than any I've ever owned.

    2. The twistloc worked out of the box, but it unlocks without pressing the button. So I'll see if they will replace it with an updated version. So far I prefer the Scott TwinLock!

    3. I wish it drained water under the shock, it's a pain to clean!

    4. The tires are kind of weird. Definitely not great in the mud! But very easy to convert to tubeless with the provided stems and the thin thin sidewalls.

    5. The Fidlock waterbottle sucks in wet conditions. Lost the bottle 2x!
    How in the world are you dropping fidlock bottles? I've had one on my hard tail for two years and it's never failed me in any crash, jump, or drop I've ever done.

    As far as the water draining under the shock, there's a whole in the frame on one side to drain the water in that location. I've never had an issue washing my bike off and having that area fully drain out excess water.

  6. #806
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    5
    Strange, they fell off my Scott Hardtail too. We ride in a lot of rain/mud.

    Gotcha, yeah maybe that hole was plugged. I should have taken a picture, it was full of water.

  7. #807
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    7
    Hey guys,

    Canceled my ripley order and ordered a pro race today. I am switching drivetrain to full XTR and I am wondering if these will fit the hubs?

    https://www.jensonusa.com/Dt-Swiss-M...e-Freehub-Body

    Thanks!

  8. #808
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by saban View Post
    I am still torn between ripley, spur and izzo...
    But only izzo is available at the moment and i am kinda leaning towards it...

    Question: what size would you guys recommend for 5í9Ē , 31Ē inseam. I think L will fit me the best, but please advise...

    Thanks

    Ps: should i be worried for YT customer support?

    I have the exact same measurements. I ordered the L today because of the 150mm dropper. Hopefully it will fit well

  9. #809
    g=9.764m/s2
    Reputation: Undescended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    570
    Quote Originally Posted by 809biker View Post
    Hey guys,

    Canceled my ripley order and ordered a pro race today. I am switching drivetrain to full XTR and I am wondering if these will fit the hubs?

    https://www.jensonusa.com/Dt-Swiss-M...e-Freehub-Body

    Thanks!
    Yes, a 12sp MicroSpline freehub for ratchet drive is the right one...

  10. #810
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4
    Curious what people like for alternatives to the rockshox lockout twister? This one looked good to me, but when I got it I was surprised how heavy it is, feels more steel than aluminum..says 66g but bet it's a bunch more. Ideally, there's maybe a nice light one like wolftooth's nice light dropper levers?

  11. #811
    I quit e-MTBR
    Reputation: OldManBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,233
    I've got 3 rides on my home trails now and have some initial impressions. Bottom line, I love it.

    My trails are east coast rocky tech, short punchy ups and downs, lots of rock ledges, chunk, and logs. Coming off a v1 Hightower, which I liked very much. 6-4 180. Most of the people I ride with are on bigger bikes than the Izzo -- Hightowers, Jeffsys, Ripmos, Sentinels, etc.

    I can't compare it to others like it (Ripley, Spur, Tallboy, etc) because I haven't ridden any of them. For all I know they're better. I can only compare it to the longer-travel more-enduro-oriented bikes I've ridden.

    Compared to my Hightower, the Izzo so far seems better at everything. It's waaaay faster on flats and climbs, which I attribute mostly to lighter wheels and tires. This thing climbs like a champagne bubble coming up from the bottom of the glass. On the downs, I worried it would be less capable than my OGHT due to less travel (130/130 vs 150/135), but the opposite is true. Composed and confidence-inspriring. For logovers, it out does every other bike I've ridden. And it's super fun and playful.

    Components: I switched the bars for an 800, the stem for a 50, and the front tire for a Dissector 2.4. Still have the stock saddle, it's okay so far but we'll see. The Forekaster in the rear is a pleasant surprise so far, fast and enough traction. I worried it would puncture in the tread casing but not yet. The front fork seeks stiff enough but it makes a wheezing sound I'm wondering about.

    Others have mentioned getting more pedal strikes, but that hasn't been an issue for me despite rocky trails.

    I'm still futzing with the suspension settings. I haven't even touched the shock lockout and for my trails I'm not sure I will.

    Three rides in, I'm convinced this style of bike is the future. It's the most fun I've had on a trail bike ever. Maybe I'll feel differently six months from now? But so far I'm cackling.

    (On the not-so-rosy side, YT never responded about their mis-assembled rear mech, #762 above, which is crappy service in my book.)

  12. #812
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by donjam View Post
    Hearing that your frames are similar, I believe this is most likely design intend. The 5 years warranty is a good thing to rely on. And when it survives 5 years of riding, then it must be good!
    In any case, I sent this video also to YT. I will share their response here when it arrives.
    Today I received YT's customer service feedback. They confirmed that this flexible area is there on all frames and nothing to be worried about.

  13. #813
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    7
    Was having seconds thoughts on sizing after ordering a size L last night. Received tracking number this morning. Too late LOL

  14. #814
    Demon Cleaner
    Reputation: Structure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    714
    Sizing is such a personal thing. I've had moments where I've second-guessed going XL since I could also fit a L, but if someone offered to trade (even if they tried to "sweeten" the deal) I would say no. Happy having sized up. But there are other folks on this thread that are very happy with the size down.
    Bicycling is politics by other means.

  15. #815
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by 809biker View Post
    Was having seconds thoughts on sizing after ordering a size L last night. Received tracking number this morning. Too late LOL
    Wait, you ordered a L last night and got tracking the next day?!?? What level did you get?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #816
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    1
    Hi!

    I finally got my Izzo Pro in Ghostship green a week ago after a 3 month wait and couldn't be happier with it. Changed the bars to a SQlab 780 mm riser I had, and the stem to a DMR bikes defy 50mm (great if you want to get the cockpit higher btw) and the XL fits me (6'3", 35" inseam) perfect now.

    Also changed the tires to Rekon 2.6" in the back and Forekaster 2.6" in the front. They are a bit narrower than advertised so they fit fine and no tire rub so far.

    Twistloc worked fine for me. I got the PTU one though..

    The only problem I have is a disturbing "clunk" sound somewhere from the back of the bike whenever the back wheel takes a hit (drops, jumps, speed bumps). I have tightened all the bolts I could find to torque, but can't seem to locate what is causing it. Tried without the chain as well so it's not chainslap. I can replicate it by locking the rear shock and dropping the back wheel. The sound does occur when the shock is open but it obviously then needs a bigger hit to happen. I have contacted YT but thought to ask you guys if someone else is having this issue or have an idea what it could be? Here are two videos of the issue, one with chain and the other without: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kreio9ltu6..._1874.mov?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ki886zq63i..._1878.mov?dl=0

    Thanks!

  17. #817
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by supernorml View Post
    Wait, you ordered a L last night and got tracking the next day?!?? What level did you get?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


    Pro race size L. Literally not even 12 hours passed and they sent me tracking. It says it will show up next monday.

    They still have in stock last time i checked earlier

  18. #818
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManBike View Post

    Others have mentioned getting more pedal strikes, but that hasn't been an issue for me despite rocky trails.

    I'm still futzing with the suspension settings. I haven't even touched the shock lockout and for my trails I'm not sure I will.

    Three rides in, I'm convinced this style of bike is the future. It's the most fun I've had on a trail bike ever.
    Couldn't agree more. I've not had any pedal strikes. And it's been nothing but smiles riding around.

  19. #819
    g=9.764m/s2
    Reputation: Undescended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    570
    Quote Originally Posted by prozach0215 View Post
    Couldn't agree more. I've not had any pedal strikes. And it's been nothing but smiles riding around.
    Yea Iím grinning ear to ear huckíin around on a slack Stache PRETENDING itís my new GSG IZZO which is still 2 months away

  20. #820
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    3
    I ordered my Izzo a month ago, no clue when it will be here, how are all of you checking on status?

    On the topic of frame protection, what does everyone think of this?
    https://na.invisiframe.co.uk/izzo-ca..._store=default

  21. #821
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by Undescended View Post
    Yea Iím grinning ear to ear huckíin around on a slack Stache PRETENDING itís my new GSG IZZO which is still 2 months away
    Saw my first Izzo in the wild last weekend....it was GSG...and it looked pretty darn cool...kind of the color of 'glow in the dark paint'....now...what would be REALLY cool, is if it WAS glow in the dark paint and it had that ghostly photo-luminescent green glow at night!

  22. #822
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    21
    What size Izzo should I be looking at? Iím 70 inches tall, 180lb (on way back to 170) and inseam is 31 inches. Iím between a medium and a large, and of course usually both sizes arenít available to order right now.

  23. #823
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    5
    The Bike Mag Bible of Bikes 2020 review was a bit disappointing. Their review makes it sound like it's a horrible climber, which does not align with any of the other reviews I have read or the general consensus here.


    https://www.bikemag.com/2020-bible-o...pro-race-5300/

  24. #824
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by upupdown View Post
    The Bike Mag Bible of Bikes 2020 review was a bit disappointing. Their review makes it sound like it's a horrible climber, which does not align with any of the other reviews I have read or the general consensus here.


    https://www.bikemag.com/2020-bible-o...pro-race-5300/
    I didn't take it as 'a horrible climber'....rather that it just didn't dazzle compared to the other bikes in the test....but...considering that the Izzo is ~$2k or more less expensive than the other bikes when similarly equipped.....that has to factor in....

  25. #825
    Demon Cleaner
    Reputation: Structure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    714
    Quote Originally Posted by upupdown View Post
    The Bike Mag Bible of Bikes 2020 review was a bit disappointing. Their review makes it sound like it's a horrible climber, which does not align with any of the other reviews I have read or the general consensus here.


    https://www.bikemag.com/2020-bible-o...pro-race-5300/
    I'm not a real fan of the Bike Mag reviews but it's interesting to get more feedback. They really sort of lost me with the constant "YT's first XC bike" "This type of XC bike is so in right now" etc. Nothing except maybe the tires and lockout on the rear says XC to me. I thought I bought a trail bike which to me means more travel, larger fork, a little more weight but not as much as an "all-mountain" or "mini-enduro" bike. Does anyone spec an XC with a Fox 34 (non-step cast)? XC with 130 mm rear travel? Do they call the Following, Ripley, Tallboy cross-country bikes?

    They also seemed to love the Twistloc which everyone that owns the bike and posted here has criticized in one way or another.

    I'm not sure about the climbing. It might be that they do more standing climbing. I almost always stay seated so the Izzo feels really supportive. I was actually worried about it "squatting" into its travel because my last horst link bike did that, but I feel nothing like that with the Izzo. As I said back on page 1, I think my Yeti SB 4.5 was a slightly better climber when open but not in a really notable way. It's also worth considering that most of the proprietary rear suspension platforms with a lot of resistance to pedal input, give up a little traction (in my experience) on rough climbs.

    Anyway, I don't want to make this into a defend the Izzo because I just bought one post. It isn't a perfect bike. It's just a really good one that happens to also be really affordable. But I'd gladly trade my $5400 Izzo for a $7400 Evil Following...
    Bicycling is politics by other means.

  26. #826
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrispy1974 View Post
    I didn't take it as 'a horrible climber'....rather that it just didn't dazzle compared to the other bikes in the test....but...considering that the Izzo is ~$2k or more less expensive than the other bikes when similarly equipped.....that has to factor in....
    Yeah I probably over reacted a bit coming away from the first read of the review thinking it was a "horrible" climber. Given the yeti sb115 was one of the bikes they were comparing it with, I would not have expected it to come out on top. I was a little surprised to see that the evil following was prefered on the climbs given what I have read about the two bikes.

    That being said I am waiting on a comp model @ $3000, anything comparable (Tallboy, fuel ex or Ripley) was at least $1300 more. Still very happy with the choice, just wish the November new bike day would be here sooner.

  27. #827
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    5
    For the lucky ones that got your bikes by now: did you get notified by email when the order changed status?
    IIRC, the last time I checked YTs site about a month ago my order status was simply "paid". Just checked now and it says "completed", so was hoping that meant that I can expect the bike at the end of this month as advertised.

  28. #828
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by izzo View Post
    For the lucky ones that got your bikes by now: did you get notified by email when the order changed status?
    IIRC, the last time I checked YTs site about a month ago my order status was simply "paid". Just checked now and it says "completed", so was hoping that meant that I can expect the bike at the end of this month as advertised.
    The value proposition of YT is one of the things that had me seriously confused about which direction to go...the only other similar (but different and not quite as versatile?) package that I've seen is the Canyon Neuron CF family....that is....if they end up bringing all of the models to the US.

  29. #829
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrispy1974 View Post
    Saw my first Izzo in the wild last weekend....it was GSG...and it looked pretty darn cool...kind of the color of 'glow in the dark paint'....now...what would be REALLY cool, is if it WAS glow in the dark paint and it had that ghostly photo-luminescent green glow at night!
    If it was actually glow in the dark, I would pay an extra $1000 and wait another year to get one. That would be the sickest gimmick ever.

  30. #830
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by upupdown View Post
    The Bike Mag Bible of Bikes 2020 review was a bit disappointing. Their review makes it sound like it's a horrible climber, which does not align with any of the other reviews I have read or the general consensus here.


    https://www.bikemag.com/2020-bible-o...pro-race-5300/
    Yeah, but like most of us, I've read just about every article and review on this bike. Bikemag suggests that the bike is so bobby and squishy on the climbs with the shock open that you absolutely need the lockout. Every single other review I've seen states the opposite, that even in full open, the pedaling platform is firm and efficient with minimal bob so I'm not 100% believing Bikemag's review.

    With that said, I don't think their review was overwhelmingly bad or even neutral, just some nitpicks here and there but they certainly do not line up with the many other reviews I've seen about it being a fast and efficient climber and descender.

  31. #831
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by Djphelan01 View Post
    I had the CF Ripmo in the GX build. I also had the car no wheels with I9 hubs. I donít know what the Ripmo weighed but it climbed really good for a long travel bike. I too wanted something that would be light and a better climber. Now I only put about 20 miles on the Izzo but I kind of miss my Ripmo. Iím hoping itís just a matter of getting comfy on a the new bike.
    Hey - Any update on Ripmo v Izzo? I just snagged a canceled XXL comp last night for a 9/23 shipping date. I am digging my Ripmo AF (34 lb crusher), but dreaming of a faster climber spritely downhiller (not to mention bigger better fitting bike). Hoping that is your assessment after some time. Thanks for any feedback, having some second thoughts and probably only a few days to cancel.

  32. #832
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by atvkilla View Post
    Yeah, but like most of us, I've read just about every article and review on this bike. Bikemag suggests that the bike is so bobby and squishy on the climbs with the shock open that you absolutely need the lockout. Every single other review I've seen states the opposite, that even in full open, the pedaling platform is firm and efficient with minimal bob so I'm not 100% believing Bikemag's review.

    With that said, I don't think their review was overwhelmingly bad or even neutral, just some nitpicks here and there but they certainly do not line up with the many other reviews I've seen about it being a fast and efficient climber and descender.
    Their review could also be due to where and what they were riding...and what they were comparing the bike to...7 high end bikes all at once is sure to place some things better and/or worse then others...that being said better or worse than others doesn't necessarily mean 'good' or 'bad'...which is an unfortunate side effect of shopping by youtube and review...we all end up over-scrutinizing minute details when ANY of the options in all likelihood would be a killer selection...

  33. #833
    meow?
    Reputation: IwantCake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    164
    that's an interesting review, I don't agree with it and it's not really because I own a Izzo. I think it climbs great seated, but doesn't like climbing standing. I'm not a standing climber for what it's worth though. I've never ridden a full suspension bike that I thought was fun to climb standing, they all bob.

    personally I don't like the shock lockout and never use it, it's not needed, I really want to pull it for simplicity and bar clutter.

  34. #834
    I quit e-MTBR
    Reputation: OldManBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,233
    I know this is mtbr, but let's be real for a second. Whose opinion do you trust more: a bunch of us who just dropped several grand who mostly haven't ridden its direct competitors, or theirs? They write about bikes for a living, their reputation is riding on their accuracy and insight, and they rode a lot of these bikes back to back. You don't have to think their opinion is the gospel truth, but odds are they've got more useful insight into the comparative strengths of these bikes than any of us do.

    The takeaway of that review is that the Izzo doesn't pedal and climb as efficiently as bikes like the Following or the Ripley. Does that seem implausible? Not to me. When I bought mine, I figured it climbed well but not as well as the Ripley.

    In their view, climbing on the Izzo was disappointing: too wallowy open, dependent on the lockout which itself is a compromise because it's too rigid. Maybe I'd think the same thing if I got to test it against all the other bikes in its class. But I haven't. And, to me, with a different and far more limited frame of reference like most riders, it climbs like a goddam Titan II rocket.

    (And, since others have mentioned it, I'm talking about mainly about out-of-the-saddle climbing on short, technical ups, not 45-minute fire road seated slogs.)

    My view is that, if you're deciding whether to get any of these 130ish 66ish bikes for trail riding, the answer is absolutely yes. I bet they're all fast and super fun, and I know the Izzo is. But if you're deciding which one to get, well that depends on your priorities, your budget, and your patience. My choice was between a blinged-out Izzo now or a Tallboy or a Ripley in who the hell knows. That was a pretty easy choice and, one week in, I'm feeling mighty pleased with it.

  35. #835
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    8,772
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManBike View Post
    I know this is mtbr, but let's be real for a second. Whose opinion do you trust more: a bunch of us who just dropped several grand who mostly haven't ridden its direct competitors, or theirs? They write about bikes for a living, their reputation is riding on their accuracy and insight, and they rode a lot of these bikes back to back. You don't have to think their opinion is the gospel truth, but odds are they've got more useful insight into the comparative strengths of these bikes than any of us do.

    The takeaway of that review is that the Izzo doesn't pedal and climb as efficiently as bikes like the Following or the Ripley. Does that seem implausible? Not to me. When I bought mine, I figured it climbed well but not as well as the Ripley.

    In their view, climbing on the Izzo was disappointing: too wallowy open, dependent on the lockout which itself is a compromise because it's too rigid. Maybe I'd think the same thing if I got to test it against all the other bikes in its class. But I haven't. And, to me, with a different and far more limited frame of reference like most riders, it climbs like a goddam Titan II rocket.

    (And, since others have mentioned it, I'm talking about mainly about out-of-the-saddle climbing on short, technical ups, not 45-minute fire road seated slogs.)

    My view is that, if you're deciding whether to get any of these 130ish 66ish bikes for trail riding, the answer is absolutely yes. I bet they're all fast and super fun, and I know the Izzo is. But if you're deciding which one to get, well that depends on your priorities, your budget, and your patience. My choice was between a blinged-out Izzo now or a Tallboy or a Ripley in who the hell knows. That was a pretty easy choice and, one week in, I'm feeling mighty pleased with it.
    Very valid point. When it was finally time to buy a new bike in 2012, I was still riding a 2000 Sworks FSR, so I just went with another Specialized- 2012 SJ. I was happy with it. The shop I bought it from also carried Santa Cruz. When they got a Tallboy demo in a took it on a ride.

    That's when I realized my SJ wasn't as good (to me) as I thought. Sold the SJ and bought a TBc. After a few years on the TBc tried a Ripley- sold the TBc and bought a Ripley, then a Canfield Riot and so on.

    Anyway, point is none of us know what the other persons reference is, what they ride and what they like in a bike.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

  36. #836
    I quit e-MTBR
    Reputation: OldManBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,233
    Yeah, I think the reference point is important. If I read that review before riding the bike, I'd have been pretty concerned about the Izzo being a disappointing climber, esp. coming from a good climber like the OGHT. So far (and its still early days for me) I'd call it anything but. The people I ride with all the time have made lame jokes about how fast my new ebike climbs.

    It also bears noting the compromises some of those other bikes they reviewed make. The 3 other 29ers in that review there all are steeper in front, shorter in back, and way more coin. I wasn't buying a bike with a 66.9 HA or 115 in back, and I wasn't dropping $7k+. (Oh and **** superboost.) Hardly a bombshell that the Izzo was a less efficient climber than bikes a degree slacker with 15 mm less rear travel, is it? A comparison to the Izzo's more-direct competitors would've been more enlightening.

  37. #837
    I quit e-MTBR
    Reputation: OldManBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,233
    Okay, I just watched their video. In it, Palmer says with a contemptuous chuckle (and the other two agree) that climbing with the shock open is "like mashed potatoes."

    I confess, I don't get that. That is not my experience, not by a country mile. Sure I've got motivated reasoning and a more limited perspective and less expertise. Guilty. But, wow, mashed potatoes? I don't get that.

  38. #838
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    5
    Climbs amazing unlocked, couldnít believe it. I guess we all have opinions 😂.

  39. #839
    I quit e-MTBR
    Reputation: OldManBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,233
    I mean, just compare what Enduro MTB said. They, like Bike Mag, tend to be a smart, reliable source. Far from mashed potatoes, they said, " the IZZO is an excellent climber. Even with the shock open, the rear end hardly bobs while offering plenty of traction and lots of comfort." That is much closer to my experience. And in their 9-bike budget trail-bike comparison, the Izzo came out on top. There, they said, "Have I accidentally locked out the shock? Youíll notice how efficient the rear suspension of the IZZO feels the moment you climb aboard. Thereís almost no hint of pedal bob, even with the shock open."

    It's like Bike Mag was talking about a different bike. Happily, the one Enduro-MTB describes is the one I got.

    FWIW, my 3 prior bikes were 2 Santa Cruz and an Ibis, and I pride myself on getting up tech climbs that others don't. So I'd like to think that if the Izzo was a sad-sack suspension design with mashed potatoes climbing I'm the sort of rider who'd notice.

    Who knows.

  40. #840
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by izzo View Post
    For the lucky ones that got your bikes by now: did you get notified by email when the order changed status?
    IIRC, the last time I checked YTs site about a month ago my order status was simply "paid". Just checked now and it says "completed", so was hoping that meant that I can expect the bike at the end of this month as advertised.
    So I ordered my XL Izzo Comp on 8/31 and my status reads "your order has not been processed yet" and it shows a 10/28 availability date. All I know is for not being processed they have charged my credit card. Maybe with a little bit of luck the status will change when we hit next month.

  41. #841
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by rrider View Post
    So I ordered my XL Izzo Comp on 8/31 and my status reads "your order has not been processed yet" and it shows a 10/28 availability date. All I know is for not being processed they have charged my credit card. Maybe with a little bit of luck the status will change when we hit next month.
    You're charged now regardless of when it ships.

  42. #842
    Demon Cleaner
    Reputation: Structure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    714
    I have no insider info but the Bike Mag reviews often seem odd to me. I noted some of the other flaws in the Izzo review above, but I'll add that while I have no where near the bike experience those guys do, I have owned some nice bikes and demo'ed many more and there's no way the Izzo is a poor climber. That doesn't compute. Maybe not the "best" climbing rear suspension but still more like excellent climbing (a solid step above "good").

    Watch when they review the other Horst link bikes and see if they go on about the "crummy" rear suspension. I'd happily put money down that they won't say that about Specialized, Transition, etc.
    Bicycling is politics by other means.

  43. #843
    I quit e-MTBR
    Reputation: OldManBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,233
    Huh. I don't read them religiously any more, but I find Bike Mag basically reliable. I more or less agree with their reviews for the two other new bikes I got multiple rides on, the Ripmo and the Hightower. If anything I think of them as a little too leery of criticizing bikes since that cringey "do-over" Trek mess several years back. I don't think of them as being in the tank for some brands over others. Their Jeffsy and Capra reviews have been pretty glowing.

    Anyway, I agree that it doesn't compute. I don't think they're idiots who don't know how to set up a rear shock, I don't think the Izzo climbs like butt, and I don't think they're biased against YT. So I'm stumped.

  44. #844
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManBike View Post
    I more or less agree with their reviews for the two other new bikes I got multiple rides on, the Ripmo and the Hightower. .
    So, I am trading in a Ripmo for an Izzo with hopes to be a bit more spritely uphill, better fit, a touch more nimbleness, and a big water bottle. I think the bible review is funny to me and my riding. Suspension for the up seems very important to many of the reviewers. I still prefer my hardtail on the way up for my colorado front range trails. And, I lock out my ripmo for 90% of my climbing...

    Hopefully, I am on right track with Izzo. Due late next week.

  45. #845
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    2
    I was considering swapping the rear RWS quick release lever for a fixed axle to clean up the rear end, but I noticed that the rear axle is integrated with the derailleur hanger, and the axle has a thin guide that pops through the derailleur hanger. I suspect this means that most fixed axles like the wolf tooth or oneup axle R are unlikely to work. Does anyone have suggestions?

    And similarly, where would I acquire a replacement rear axle like this one if I needed to replace it? Iíve never seen one like this before.
    Last edited by jer1; 3 Days Ago at 06:30 PM. Reason: Add another question

  46. #846
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    22
    Have about 3 rides on after switching to the DHR2's (31 pounds now on this Comp model... Beefy boi). On this 3rd run after a week of not riding and pounding beers at the beach and I was breaking 20+ strava PR's on like 30 segments. I do not regret my upgrade to the 2.4WT's one bit. I am for sure pedaling a bit more and I can notice it will slow a bit more down quicker, but this thing just will rip up and down, jump, pop, and move like nobody's business. Progression curve is starting to peak finally and I could not be happier to re-love this bike from initial ownership and rides.

    I learned to start smaller jumps and clear smaller doubles on this bike and I'm going to continue to get more comfortable with having fun so I cannot wait until I re-learn this bike on these heavier tires. One thing I do say is with this progression I've started to bottom the rear shock several times. It isn't harsh or really noticeable at all surprisingly. It just feels like there is not support or squish anymore when it happens. I for sure recommend to increase your rear sag if you plan on jumping. It will be a bit more harsh on the chattering bits, but feel even more poppy and nice in the air

    (I'm at 450 miles on this bike now to give people an idea. Maybe the 1k mile mark I'll throw on some X01 and carbon wheels for a little treat and more fun)

    From the Bike Mag review, I have felt on occasion some bobbing when standing and trying to get the pedal down on steep/rockier climbs. It is not persistent and overall it climbs super efficient without much movement at all 90% of the time, but if I'm being honest it does rarely sap some energy and based on how often it is I presume it's just my riding ability. I also have climbs where I stand and do not feel that bob at all so really not sure

  47. #847
    g=9.764m/s2
    Reputation: Undescended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    570
    31 lbs w/DHRs on a Comp? Thatís within 2 lbs Of my ole Ď18 Jeffsy AL with similar components!!! Guess Agarros on my GSG IZZO will be slightly lighter...

    Saw a GSG Jeffsy in the flesh tonight, color is SICK!!!

  48. #848
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    10

    Clunk

    Quote Originally Posted by helvetiac View Post
    Hi!

    The only problem I have is a disturbing "clunk" sound somewhere from the back of the bike whenever the back wheel takes a hit (drops, jumps, speed bumps). I have tightened all the bolts I could find to torque, but can't seem to locate what is causing it. Tried without the chain as well so it's not chainslap. I can replicate it by locking the rear shock and dropping the back wheel. The sound does occur when the shock is open but it obviously then needs a bigger hit to happen. I have contacted YT but thought to ask you guys if someone else is having this issue or have an idea what it could be? Here are two videos of the issue, one with chain and the other without: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kreio9ltu6..._1874.mov?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ki886zq63i..._1878.mov?dl=0

    Thanks!
    Yep, I've got a Medium Size Ghostship Pro and I have a clunk, too...Not sure where it is coming from and have been hunting it. I'll post if I find something and hope others do, too.

  49. #849
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Undescended View Post
    31 lbs w/DHRs on a Comp? Thatís within 2 lbs Of my ole Ď18 Jeffsy AL with similar components!!! Guess Agarros on my GSG IZZO will be slightly lighter...

    Saw a GSG Jeffsy in the flesh tonight, color is SICK!!!
    Sorry, misspoke and just re-weighed to get exact numbers. 31.3 was with Forekasters. 32.5 now with the MaxTerra Exo 2.4WT's DHR2's. Size Large with a bell, front fender, and Stamp 7 pedals.

  50. #850
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jamesaustintexas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    26
    Reading through this thread and the facebook page it is apparent to me the difficulties bike shops deal with when loads of customers CONSTANTLY ask dId mY bIkE sHiP yEt???? :facepalm:

    That's all for now. Have a good day fellow YT dudes and dudettes.

  51. #851
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    22
    I see Pro Race in L/XL/XXL are in stock. Such a good deal if you can fork over the initial cash. So tempting to just buy one then sell the Comp...

    You can not build it yourself cheaper at the moment. It's a lot larger up front cost, but after looking at pricing and upgrading a Comp to just X01 Eagle groupset and those XMC wheels alone will be around ~$3k

    I really like the Dune Grey though. If the Pro Race also came in that color I would not be able to resist it

  52. #852
    I quit e-MTBR
    Reputation: OldManBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,233
    Kashima gold is the only color you'll notice.

  53. #853
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by rherold9 View Post
    I see Pro Race in L/XL/XXL are in stock. Such a good deal if you can fork over the initial cash. So tempting to just buy one then sell the Comp...

    You can not build it yourself cheaper at the moment. It's a lot larger up front cost, but after looking at pricing and upgrading a Comp to just X01 Eagle groupset and those XMC wheels alone will be around ~$3k

    I really like the Dune Grey though. If the Pro Race also came in that color I would not be able to resist it
    Agree on a bit. I have a comp on order for next thursday ship. Considering the pro race, but just not sure I will love bike or not and the comp will be much easier to sell as a entry level. I also have a shimano xt drivetrain I am swapping on to it...So that does leave me wishing for some other wheels....but all in all I think I will be happy with the comp and Dune Grey is my prefered color choice out of the current pick...

  54. #854
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    136
    Found the limits on these Forekasters for sure today. Now granted the trail had patches of the worst kind of thick soft sand and you couldn't really tell when they were going to appear in front of you, but every time I had to slam the brakes and take it easy because it was anyone's guess where the bike was going to go. I even had a couple two wheel drifts going on. They definitely packed up with sand too and almost became slicks after rolling through some of those patches, it would come back off though while riding.

    Something more aggressive would've helped for sure, although even DHF's wouldn't have been completely safe. They would've given more confidence though.

    I'll probably keep using the Forekasters for now since this trail was the first time I've had so many loose sand patches, but down the road may try some Dissectors.

  55. #855
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    136
    On the bright side however, this was the first trail (Central Florida) I've had the chance to go to that had some real declines on it. It's called Mount Dora MTB Trail, has green to red trails. The very first part is a quick descent with 4 huge wooden berms, blasted right through those it was amazing. A lot of sections with super rooted descents with small root drops while riding down, some bigger drops with roots all the way down, and a couple steep drops off of wooden features. I was totally confident in the bike, literally never a single moment where I felt unsafe. I was also completely confident just standing on the pedals and bars and pushing the bike down and letting the bike take care of itself through the rough stuff. There are also a lot of super rooted climbs that are quick and steep, or long and less steep. Never had an issue climbing over the roots or anything like that (as long as I had my approach setup correctly, but that's on me and not the bike). I freaking love this bike, I haven't had any moment yet where I felt like another bike would've been a better choice.

    The funny thing is now when I see people at these trails with these 150mm+ bikes I just feel sorry for them. What's the purpose? I didn't even bottom out my suspension today on a 130mm bike and you're going to trudge around on a 150mm bike trying to pedal up and down this trail?

    So glad I went short travel and saw through the YouTube Enduro hype train.

  56. #856
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    5
    I agree with you on the Forekasters. Had the same happen today on sandy trails. But I kind of like the challenge. The bike stays composed when sliding so I plan to wear them out!!

  57. #857
    Demon Cleaner
    Reputation: Structure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    714
    Since watching the Bike Mag review and thinking over the climbing, I've deliberately spent some time climbing and mashing. The bike bobs significantly if one just stands up and mashes the pedals. I hadn't thought much about this before because A) I don't stand up and mash the pedals, and B) the lockout.

    Here's the thing though. The VPP and SI bikes I'm familiar with do stiffen up the rear more in that scenario. However, they lose some traction and most of the bobbing comes from the front, not the rear. In the end, I do think they climb with less pedal induced bob when standing, but it's a trade-off and not as clear an advantage as it might initially seem.

    I feel like the Izzo climbs excellent when seated. It stays high in its travel, moves when encountering trail obstacles, and doesn't move when pedaling. Having the lockout there to handle intense pedaling forces (standing and mashing) allows the "open" pedaling mode to be dialed more towards traction and downhill rather than climbing.

    And let's also give credit to the lockout in those really silly situations where you want the rear to be almost ridged, like the final pavement climb back to the trailhead/cars where everyone in the group is tired and trys to lay down the final power to be the first back. The Izzo is a complete cheater there.
    Bicycling is politics by other means.

  58. #858
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    38

    The official YT IZZO thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Structure View Post
    ...And let's also give credit to the lockout in those really silly situations where you want the rear to be almost ridged, like the final pavement climb back to the trailhead/cars where everyone in the group is tired and trys to lay down the final power to be the first back. The Izzo is a complete cheater there.
    Hahhha...well said

  59. #859
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    281
    I am now on the 9/23 ship date. About to sell my current bike based on ytís info, really the ship date and snagging a cancelled order last week was only reason I bought it. Seems like yt dates are pretty solid? Just hesitant to let go of current ride, but cash is ready! Anybody experience delays past the date when purchased?
    Last edited by telejefe; 1 Hour Ago at 08:00 PM. Reason: Shorter

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-08-2017, 11:46 AM
  2. the Official " I couldn't find the Car thread for DJ in the OC" thread.
    By Fishbucket in forum Off Camber (off topic)
    Replies: 232
    Last Post: 10-27-2015, 08:26 PM
  3. Official, Official .....thread.
    By DIRTJUNKIE in forum Off Camber (off topic)
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 12-03-2014, 09:46 PM
  4. Official, Official .......thread.
    By DIRTJUNKIE in forum Off Camber (off topic)
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 12-03-2014, 09:30 PM
  5. Replies: 99
    Last Post: 01-05-2012, 09:25 PM

Members who have read this thread: 592

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.