New Jeffsy 29 creaking- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

New Jeffsy 29 creaking

So my new Jeffsy 29 is creaking in the frame somewhere. It's only had 1 ride on it.

When I'm pedaling slow down the street it's most pronounced. I can put my hand on the frame tubes and feel the creaking. It will also creak when not pedaling, but not as much.

I check all the bolts I could get a wrench on. All tight. Tightened the seat, post, and clamp. Loosened the steering stem, removed cap on top of stem, replaced, torqued. No change.

Sitting on the bike stationary, I've tried shifting weight, using the brakes, etc and can't really make it creak as much as it does when I'm rolling slowly.

I'm thinking it's either the headset or bottom bracket. Not sure how to narrow it down. What can I check? How do I fix?
    2018 YT Jeffsy AL 29
    2005 Felt F75 (roadie)
    1993 Specialized Stumpjumper FS (bar hopper)

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Time for some process of elimination!

Have you tried re-torquing the headset? If it happens when you're not pedaling that makes me thing it's not the BB.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    how do I torque the headset on these bikes? I only did the stem pinch bolts and top bolt to 7nm.
    2018 YT Jeffsy AL 29
    2005 Felt F75 (roadie)

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    So you would have to loosen the stem bolts, and then torque the top bolt down. Then once the top bolt is tight you would tighten the stem pinch bolts.

Here is a video for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jfIIdhG31g

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Okay, that's what I thought. Already did that. It could be the BB, because even though I'm not pedaling, my weight is on the pedals. I've never seen a BB/crank set where the chainrings have no bolts. That's pure magic down there, not sure what to tighten. There's 2 different size allen holes on the right side. The inner was tight, the bigger outer one was kinda loose. I tightened that up, but no change.
    2018 YT Jeffsy AL 29
    2005 Felt F75 (roadie)

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Get down next to the bike, and grab a crank arm. Then push/pull it back and forth perpendicular to the bike. see if there is any play or creaking.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Will do. I found these instructions for the crankset. Pretty simple. I don't think that bolt was anywhere near 45 ft/lbs. I think I'll pull the arm tomorrow and check for grease and re-torque the bolt.

https://www.raceface.com/media/B1018...lation-Web.pdf
    2018 YT Jeffsy AL 29
    2005 Felt F75 (roadie)

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    You're on the right track. When in doubt take things apart, re-grease and re-torque! (anxiously awaiting the arrival of my out of stock jeffsy, and living through you)

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Solved! I pulled the crank, and regreased it but that didn't change anything.

It was the dropper post! I had grit around it and the pinch bolt was torqued to e*thirteen specs, but that's not enough. I lifted the post up as far as I could, wiped it clean, dropped it back down and tightened it to max on the little torque wrench (10-12nm). Quiet as a mouse now. Phew! And it still goes up and down just find with the pinch bolt a little extra tight.
    2018 YT Jeffsy AL 29
    2005 Felt F75 (roadie)

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by zimm View Post

It was the dropper post! I had grit around it and the pinch bolt was torqued to e*thirteen specs, but that's not enough. I lifted the post up as far as I could, wiped it clean, dropped it back down and tightened it to max on the little torque wrench (10-12nm). Quiet as a mouse now. Phew! And it still goes up and down just find with the pinch bolt a little extra tight.
    Nice! Thatís best case scenario!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Funny. I just saw this post and was getting ready to post that I had the same problem and my solution was exactly what you described. Didnít fix it until I pulled the post all the way out and greased the full length.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Silly question, but to pull the post all the way out, do you have to take the remote lever off and loosen all the cable clamps?
    2018 YT Jeffsy AL 29
    2005 Felt F75 (roadie)

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I didnít have to remove the lever. Removed the cable guides closest to where the cable enters the seat tube and just push the slack into the seat tube as you slide the post out. I had plenty of extra cable.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by zimm View Post

Did you use carbon paste vs. grease? Most frame and post manufacturers recommend a max torque setting of 5nm to prevent from damage. Double check those.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I used marine grease. I've since swapped out the dropper for a revive 125mm post. The instructions said not to use grease, but anti-seize. So I cleaned out the tube and used anti-seize. On the trail the seat rotated a couple of times (usually on a tip over or get-off). I tightened it up a little more. Hopefully the anti-seize isn't too slippery...
    2018 YT Jeffsy AL 29
    2005 Felt F75 (roadie)

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Had the same creaking problem and upon disassembly I found that the seat post was almost dry in the frame. Cleaned everything and spread a layer of copper anti-seize compound on the whole seat post tube, creaking is gone. So far so good.