New 2019 Jeffsy 29" - Page 3- Mtbr.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mtbr member
    Any ride reports???
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by 69Hz View Post
    I'll finish mine today so after that I can tell you. Typically the installations haven't required any disassembly.
    Did not manage to complete totally due to time constraints, but now 98% is ready. Only thing I needed to disassemble so far is the downtube guard, because downtube vinyl part goes partially under it. I'm not sure why it is designed like that, could have been done otherwise IMHO. And you need to remove the rear tyre for the chain stay bridge part.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Did not manage to complete totally due to time constraints, but now 98% is ready. Only thing I needed to disassemble so far is the downtube guard, because downtube vinyl part goes partially under it. I'm not sure why it is designed like that, could have been done otherwise IMHO. And you need to remove the rear tyre for the chain stay bridge part.
    Thanks for the update.

I was expecting to take the easy stuff off, but was hoping it didn't require pivot disassembly or cable removal. Stuff like that.

We're supposed to have rain here all weekend, so I might try to install mine then.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    New 2019 Jeffsy 29"-57507915470__fd35aeff-cb1f-41f1-96e8-23ed0f67771b.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by objectuser View Post
    Great info, thanks! That bike does look long.

Thanks for posting the side by side. Would be awesome to actually see you seated on both just like that.

Your 2017 is a large right?
    Thought I'd provide somewhat of an update regarding sizing. I have yet to do any real trail riding due to persistant low elevation snow, but I have been playing around my neighborhood (I live on a hill with numerous small connector trails between streets) just getting a feel for the bike. At first it felt very long and noticeably less agile than my 2017 L, but extremely stable and planted. I've since sold the 2017, and now that I have several neighborhood "rides" in on my 2019 XL getting used to it, it feels plenty agile and playful. (Evidently I have a short memory for comparisons sake...) It's very easy to wheely and although I've never been great at manualing I am finding it just as easy to attempt as my older smaller bikes. It pedals very well and in general has an agile and peppy feel to it. Bunny hopping larger obstacles is no problem at all, and I don't notice any drawbacks concerning playfulness as compared to my 2017. I don't mean to suggest that it is just as playful as the old version, but now that I've gotten used to it and adapted to it I am finding that I can do everything I could with the old one when screwing around, and there is definitely an added layer of stability that wasn't as present with the previous version. Can't wait to get some real trail riding in for a real ride report...
    Last edited by Scoobs; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:57 AM. Reason: Inserted image

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    I received mine today. The unboxing is schedule for Sunday and the first ride also.

More pictures soon

New 2019 Jeffsy 29"-55845395_2617679991640109_7469617266468847616_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fobi View Post
    I received mine today. The unboxing is schedule for Sunday and the first ride also.

More pictures soon

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	55845395_2617679991640109_7469617266468847616_n.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	156.2 KB 
ID:	1244107
    You are very patient Me, I'd be riding it within the hour.

mtbr member
    Mine has arrived and I was not expecting (stupid me, I should have) such a high quality build and attention to detail. It is an incredibly well built bike, the frame protection already included is great as well.

It did need some work - the cables are quite long (not bad but I run shorter bars) and bolts do need checking. As did the gears. So make sure to check everything before you ride (as per the manual!)

I have only done a short 11km ride and so far so good, I definitely need to play with the suspension to get the best out of it. Also getting used to the new tyres so not an easy comparison. Came from an Evil Insurgent in M and Norco Sight C1 29er in L. This bike has the same reach as the Norco but much steeper seat angle, similar HA to the Evil in Low. Definitely rides more like the Norco at 130mm travel than the Insurgent at 150mm of travel when cruising, but more capable than the Norco. Feels playful yet composed, however need to work on rear suspension as it felt rough going through rock sections - mainly as the damping would be all out of tune and I came from an EXT Storia Insurgent...

Looking forward to putting many hours on the saddle!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I've got about 80 miles on the new bike now and, so far, I'm loving it.

It climbs fantastic and descends faster than my skills right now.

The only thing I've noticed is a clicking in the bottom bracket, which I just noticed and haven't had time to diagnose yet, and the "graphic" on the rear triangle is peeling off on both sides.
    Not sure if it's a clear coat over the vinyl or the actual vinyl peeling. I'll know for sure this weekend.
    New 2019 Jeffsy 29"-img_20190327_190829.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by hidperf View Post
    I've got about 80 miles on the new bike now and, so far, I'm loving it.

It climbs fantastic and descends faster than my skills right now.

The only thing I've noticed is a clicking in the bottom bracket, which I just noticed and haven't had time to diagnose yet, and the "graphic" on the rear triangle is peeling off on both sides.
    Not sure if it's a clear coat over the vinyl or the actual vinyl peeling. I'll know for sure this weekend.

Name:	IMG_20190327_190829.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	382.5 KB 
ID:	1244210
    That peeling on the back is from your heel hitting the rear triangle. I have that on the drive side. Iíve bought a roll of matt paint protection film to reapply myself. Going to try to extend the surface as much as possible to improve coverage and susceptibility to shoe strikes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mfacey View Post
    That peeling on the back is from your heel hitting the rear triangle. I have that on the drive side. Iíve bought a roll of matt paint protection film to reapply myself. Going to try to extend the surface as much as possible to improve coverage and susceptibility to shoe strikes!

I've got the InvisFrame kit sitting at my house right now. Should've applied it before I took it out, but didn't.
    Hopefully installing it this weekend, since it's supposed to rain all weekend.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Bam da Silva View Post
    Mine has arrived and I was not expecting (stupid me, I should have) such a high quality build and attention to detail. It is an incredibly well built bike, the frame protection already included is great as well.

It did need some work - the cables are quite long (not bad but I run shorter bars) and bolts do need checking. As did the gears. So make sure to check everything before you ride (as per the manual!)

I have only done a short 11km ride and so far so good, I definitely need to play with the suspension to get the best out of it. Also getting used to the new tyres so not an easy comparison. Came from an Evil Insurgent in M and Norco Sight C1 29er in L. This bike has the same reach as the Norco but much steeper seat angle, similar HA to the Evil in Low. Definitely rides more like the Norco at 130mm travel than the Insurgent at 150mm of travel when cruising, but more capable than the Norco. Feels playful yet composed, however need to work on rear suspension as it felt rough going through rock sections - mainly as the damping would be all out of tune and I came from an EXT Storia Insurgent...

Looking forward to putting many hours on the saddle!

I too have been impressed with the quality. I've scrutinized many high end and boutique brands (Yeti, Scott, Transition, Rocky Mountain, etc.) for build quality and test ridden most of them. The Jeffsy is right on par with any of them in my opinion. Regarding your rear suspension, I suspect once you get the settings right it will feel much better. Mine feels deep and supple at 30% sag, and actually feels more like my Norco Sight C7 than the previous 2017 Jeffsy I owned. I always loved the way the Norco's rear end felt - my 2017 Jeffsy wasn't quite as good even with a Cane Creek IL Coil on the rear. So from my experience so far its a much more forgiving rear end than the old version but still provides a very efficient platform for peddling and plenty of support for popping and playing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
    I too have been impressed with the quality. I've scrutinized many high end and boutique brands (Yeti, Scott, Transition, Rocky Mountain, etc.) for build quality and test ridden most of them. The Jeffsy is right on par with any of them in my opinion. Regarding your rear suspension, I suspect once you get the settings right it will feel much better. Mine feels deep and supple at 30% sag, and actually feels more like my Norco Sight C7 than the previous 2017 Jeffsy I owned. I always loved the way the Norco's rear end felt - my 2017 Jeffsy wasn't quite as good even with a Cane Creek IL Coil on the rear. So from my experience so far its a much more forgiving rear end than the old version but still provides a very efficient platform for peddling and plenty of support for popping and playing.
    Went for a ride this morning and running 29/30 sag felt much better.
    Did some better descending today and was amazed by how composed it was descending, so stable and felt I could really attack anything. Very very pleased.

Climbing has been interesting. I have been told what I am feeling comes from the steep ST and being on top of the BB, but there's definitely a different feel. It feels like I am pushing through the cranks, feels "weighty" not that light going up. Hard to explain. Could be set up but could also be the heavy front tyre and my lack of fitness

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    First ride with my Jeffsy (size M)

New 2019 Jeffsy 29"-img_20190401_184803.jpg

I already swapped few things :
    • Grips : SQlab 711
    • Front tire : Maxxis Rekon
    • Rear tyre : Maxxis SS

I'm thinking to modify the cockpit :
    • Wolf Tooth LA remote instead of the Fox remote
    • Add a MisMatch 2.2 to attached the Shimano shifter to the brake lever

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

I'm thinking to modify the cockpit :
    • Wolf Tooth LA remote instead of the Fox remote
    • Add a MisMatch 2.2 to attached the Shimano shifter to the brake lever
    Take a good look at the Shimano shifter first. I wanted to do the same thing but found out that the shifter wasn't the I-Spec model and therefore the MisMatch adapter wouldn't work. I was bummed by that.

mtbr member
    With the 10% discount they have going, I ordered the CF Comp just now. Went with the XL. Totally not sure but hey, we'll see!

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I just picked up my XL Jeffsy on Saturday from YT HQ, my previous bike was a 2018 Trek Fuel EX 8.
    My first impressions of the Jeffsy is it climbs very well, feels better then my Fuel.
    Downhill I have rode on my local flowy trails and it puts you in a much more natural positions for jumps and turning is great.
    I plan to take on some steeper trails this weekend which is where I expect the bike to really shine.
    I also am interested how it pedals on the long XC climbs but I do not anticipate any problems.
    This is my 1 and only bike so I went Jeffsy over Capra.
    After feeling the Fox 36 and DPX2 I don't think I will have any issues on downhills in SoCal outside of a bike park.
    Right now the bike weighs in at 31.8 lbs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    With the 10% discount they have going, I ordered the CF Comp just now. Went with the XL. Totally not sure but hey, we'll see!
    10%, for me is full price?

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Anybody found a solution to the rubber plugs on the cables working their way out of the frame every ride? I'm sure it can't do much harm but I'm worried about the paint getting damaged over time from sand and mud getting in the hole and rubbing against the cable housing.
    In particular the one where the dropper cable goes into the frame behind the headset is working its way out all the time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Anybody found a solution to the rubber plugs on the cables working their way out of the frame every ride? I'm sure it can't do much harm but I'm worried about the paint getting damaged over time from sand and mud getting in the hole and rubbing against the cable housing.
    In particular the one where the dropper cable goes into the frame behind the headset is working its way out all the time.
    I was going to try some rubber cement between the cable housing and the rubber plug. I'll report back on my success.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Installed my InvisFrame kit last night. Here's my thoughts.

It was my first time doing one and it was NOT pleasant, but I think I did a decent job overall. I'll know more when I get home tonight and start tidying things up.
    I started around 6pm and didn't finish until around 11:30pm, but that included stopping to unload groceries out of the car and eating dinner.

I took the wheels off and put mine on a table, which made the downtube and a couple other areas extremely difficult. A good bike stand (mine sucks and I avoid using it) would've helped tremendously.
    Good lighting also helps, along with a heat gun on low to help keep bubbles out and help the material conform to odd shapes better.

Also, some of the description weren't initially clear on where the section went or how it was oriented, but they weren't impossible to figure out.

If you can do one of these BEFORE getting the bike dirty, it would be ideal.

mtbr member
    Installed my InvisFrame kit last night. Here's my thoughts.

It was my first time doing one and it was NOT pleasant, but I think I did a decent job overall. I'll know more when I get home tonight and start tidying things up.
    I started around 6pm and didn't finish until around 11:30pm, but that included stopping to unload groceries out of the car and eating dinner.

I took the wheels off and put mine on a table, which made the downtube and a couple other areas extremely difficult. A good bike stand (mine sucks and I avoid using it) would've helped tremendously.
    Good lighting also helps, along with a heat gun on low to help keep bubbles out and help the material conform to odd shapes better.

Also, some of the description weren't initially clear on where the section went or how it was oriented, but they weren't impossible to figure out.

If you can do one of these BEFORE getting the bike dirty, it would be ideal.
    I have done 4 invisiframe/Frameskins and Yeah, not an easy job but so worth it.

A hairdryer works just as well if a heat gun is not available. Also, a work stand is in my opinion essential! A bare frame even better. (Not easy in this case)

I haven't done mine yet but definitely recommend, most of my previous bikes looked pretty good after some good smashing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Just built and rode my 2019 Jeffsy, the silver turq 29er. I loved my first ride on it!
    Only comment was, my right heel is rubbing on rear chainstay, ive yet to adjust my cleat which could be the culprit, but wondering if that rear end is wider than normal? Man, bike climbs great and descends great. Love it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New 2019 Jeffsy 29"-screen-shot-2019-04-04-12.18.55-pm.jpg  

mtbr member
    Emailed invisiFRAME today. They don't yet have an XL front end for the Jeffsy and want to try out their rear triangle fit.

Maybe I'll just do some temp 3M custom protection on mine when I get it in and see how that goes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Yesterday I encountered an issue with the bottom bracket of my new Jeffsy.
    It started creaking after 35 km

I will mail YT today and see if I go for the replacement of the bike or a refund...
    Last edited by Fobi; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:38 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    It started cracking after 35 km

I will mail YT today and see if I go for the replacement of the bike or a refund...
    Shit! any pics of cracking?

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Cracking or creaking?

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by mv70 View Post
    Shit! any pics of cracking?
    Cracking or creaking?
    Creaking, sorry my mistake

I am damned with this bike because I also had to swapped my set of Hope F20 pedals to my previous set One-Up before to go to ride because the right pedal started to squeaked.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Replace bike or refund over a $20 bottom bracket? Seems crazy. Are even you 100% sure thatís it and not something else? I had several creaks to chase out when I got mine just like every other bike Iíve ever bought.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    My Race face BB blew up within 20 miles on my 18 Capra, I fixed it with an enduro bearing set. YT would have warrantied it but I wanted to upgrade it anyways. No need to be drastic and exchange the whole bike or return it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Take a good look at the Shimano shifter first. I wanted to do the same thing but found out that the shifter wasn't the I-Spec model and therefore the MisMatch adapter wouldn't work. I was bummed by that.
    Bummer, I found out the hard way after ordering the MisMatch adapter. I didn't realize Shimano made a non I-spec model. I should have looked more closely!

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    It started creaking after 35 km

Are you sure the bottom bracket is the source of the creak? My Jeffsy started creaking when pedaling and I just now tracked it down to the horstlink pivot bolt on the drive side. Would have bet money on it being the BB, but on a whim I removed and regreased the pivot bolt and torqued to 12 Nm and no more creak! Will probably check the rest too... This one was pretty dry.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberThreat View Post
    Are you sure the bottom bracket is the source of the creak? My Jeffsy started creaking when pedaling and I just now tracked it down to the horstlink pivot bolt on the drive side. Would have bet money on it being the BB, but on a whim I removed and regreased the pivot bolt and torqued to 12 Nm and no more creak! Will probably check the rest too... This one was pretty dry.
    I'm not 100% sure but it's pity to have to disassemble the bike after one week.

I have mailed YT about this issue and let see.

mtbr member
    So I just demoed a YT CF Pro this past weekend and really liked it. Last bike was a v1 Bronson. This is definitely an improvement over my old bike. Climbed pretty well with the revised geo. Only a few times I felt the front end getting light.

On the other hand I have a few gripes with YT and their logic. First is their frame choices. Don't know why different builds have different frame colors. Make them all the same and then just choose the component build set, it would actually be cheaper for them.

I hate the red and white for the Pro. So debated getting the Pro Race since I like the blackish gray or whatever it is. But then I realized they slapped a 1x11 on it vs a 1x12... why?

So now it's back to considering the new v3 Bronson Carbon S build since it has the Fox 36, a 1x12 and all the other goodies.

edit* or am i being dense and not understanding the gearing ratios between the sram 12spd cog and e13 11 trs

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
    But then I realized they slapped a 1x11 on it vs a 1x12... why?

edit* or am i being dense and not understanding the gearing ratios between the sram 12spd cog and e13 11 trs
    I was very disappointed in the decision to not got with the SRAM 1x12 setup too. Mostly because I prefer SRAM over Shimano and I heard sketchy things about the e*13 cassette.
    But, the SRAM Eagle has a 500% range vs the e*13 511% range, so I decided to go with it.
    I don't have many miles on it yet, <100 so far, but I have no complaints with the setup. The XTR components are crisp and the gear range hasn't been a big deal. Time will tell how the cassette holds up.

mtbr member
    I was very disappointed in the decision to not got with the SRAM 1x12 setup too. Mostly because I prefer SRAM over Shimano and I heard sketchy things about the e*13 cassette.
    But, the SRAM Eagle has a 500% range vs the e*13 511% range, so I decided to go with it.
    I don't have many miles on it yet, <100 so far, but I have no complaints with the setup. The XTR components are crisp and the gear range hasn't been a big deal. Time will tell how the cassette holds up.
    Glad to hear a review. I just tossed them up on gear ratio calculator. Seems they arent that far off just that the e13 has bigger gaps between gears. Decisions, decisions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
    Glad to hear a review. I just tossed them up on gear ratio calculator. Seems they arent that far off just that the e13 has bigger gaps between gears. Decisions, decisions.
    I had the option of slapping an XO1 eagle on the Pro Race and decided against it. I prefer the crisp shifting of SRAM but it's just not reliable enough, got "eagled" within 50km of owning the drivetrain (the classic jokey wheel fly-away) and the constant need to tune it to have any decent shifting got pretty old. Tends to be slow to change or feel "blocky" when it does change. When it's perfects it's amazing but it's more often not...
    I want to use the Jeffsy for racing and XTR is just a much more reliable set up, never fails. Also much much cheaper to replace. So far, after a few good rides, I am happy with my decision.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I was going to try some rubber cement between the cable housing and the rubber plug. I'll report back on my success.
    I tested out a solution today on my first real ride in dirt and it worked great. I seated the plugs nicely in the frame, then I took very small strips of black gorilla tape (could use electrical tape or whatever) and wrapped the housing just behind the plugs so they can't back out. Very effective...

New 2019 Jeffsy 29&quot;-img_5220.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Great info, thanks! That bike does look long.

Thanks for posting the side by side. Would be awesome to actually see you seated on both just like that.

Your 2017 is a large right?
    Attachment 1237937Attachment 1237934

Livingroom test says the XL is very comfortable. Seated reach with the stock 50mm stem feels very similar to my 2017 Jeffsy with a 60mm stem. Definitely more bike out in front of me though, although I have demoed several bikes over the last couple of years with a similar extended feel and have enjoyed them on the trail. Time will tell whether enough of the playfulness of my 2017 remains, but I'm sure this thing will crush the descents...

It also feels noticably more over the pedals due to the seat angle so I anticipate climbing positioning to be ideal.
    Also thought I'd follow up with a quick first "real" riding and sizing report after spending the last month peddling around the neighborhood waiting for the snow to melt. Went out on a quick ride today on a trail I know very well. It's a combination of twisty loamy singletrack with some steeper rockier tech sections with some chunky ledgy shoots and small drops in the woods. The bike performed admirably as expected - extremely stable and planted while still retaining enough pop and agility to whip around tight corners and hop over obstacles. Not quite as agile as my 2017 L, but I feel I've adapted very quickly and what it gives up in agility it gains back twofold in stability. Climbing is solid as well - it's not a cross country bike but it pedals very efficiently - probably as least as good as any other bike in its class I've tried. (Rocky Mountain instinct BC was probably the best, and this is right up there...).

Regarding sizing, I'm very happy to have gone with the XL. I was really worried about it since all my other bikes have been larges, and much smaller larges at that. The 2017 Jeffsy L had a 445 reach (probably a little less than that because I ran it with a 150 fork.) along with a 1178 wheelbase (I think, can't quite remember but it was short). The reach The new Pro Race has a 490 reach and a 1247 wheelbase... so a huge difference. I am 6'1" with a 34" inseam. I can't imagine the bike being smaller. After the first ride I felt right at home, and the long wheelbase has not seemed to hinder me at all in the tight twisties. It doesn't "dart and whip" through the corners like a shorter bike, but it tracks so well and corners so well that I don't really notice any disadvantage - just a different feel is all. In short, I'm loving the bike and the choice of an XL.

New 2019 Jeffsy 29&quot;-img_5212.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    I tested out a solution today on my first real ride in dirt and it worked great. I seated the plugs nicely in the frame, then I took very small strips of black gorilla tape (could use electrical tape or whatever) and wrapped the housing just behind the plugs so they can't back out. Very effective...

Name:	IMG_5220.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	218.4 KB 
ID:	1246673
    Great idea!

Was thinking a small zip tie might do the trick as well. This looks very tidy though. Out of interest: how did you get the width so tight? Iím assuming you cut it from a wider piece, right?

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Great idea!

Was thinking a small zip tie might do the trick as well. This looks very tidy though. Out of interest: how did you get the width so tight? Iím assuming you cut it from a wider piece, right?

I just used scissors to cut thin strips of gorilla tape. I wanted a tidy look as well that wasn't really noticeable, and this is pretty clean looking.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm gonna give this a try!

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    I'm gonna give this a try!
    I'm also going to try!

I'm thinking to swap the handlebar to have Renthal 760mm with 10mm of rise but the two clamps are sticked to the stock handlebars.
    Someone has already detached the two clamps ?

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    I'm also going to try!

I'm thinking to swap the handlebar to have Renthal 760mm with 10mm of rise but the two clamps are sticked to the stock handlebars.
    Someone has already detached the two clamps ?
    Which clamps? The stem? Or the grips?

Iíve applied some gorilla tape on my brake/shifter housing. Letís see how it holds up!

mtbr member
    I'd imagine he's referring to the stem clamps on the Apex Stem. I noticed them being quite tight on the carbon bars... They need to be slid outwards so you can remove them, just try and do it gently as to not scratch the bars.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Bam da Silva View Post
    I'd imagine he's referring to the stem clamps on the Apex Stem. I noticed them being quite tight on the carbon bars... They need to be slid outwards so you can remove them, just try and do it gently as to not scratch the bars.

Thanks! Yes it was the stem clamps, I forgot to mentionned it.

My bike is on the way back to YT to swap the bottom bracket and to have a full check.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Iíve had a couple of rides and here are some comments.

Iím 181cm (5í11Ē) and size L is perfect. Could use 175mm dropper. And yes, she is very low, so have to be careful with pedal strokes.

The bike is otherwise stock, except I wanted to try e13 semislick on the rear -and so far it feels ok.

Iím still in the process of dialing the susp to my liking. On flatter undulating terrain seems that I need to use the DPX2 lever to have efficient pedaling. This is somerhing Iíve not used to do. Letís see, if I can dial the susp to avoid that, or does this start to irritate. Or perhaps it is my new normal. So this is nothing major, but just my observation. On ĒtrailĒ mode the rear feels efficient enough to my liking.

Uphill the seating position is very central and efficient. Managed to clear one particular Ēstone stepĒ ascent with 1st attemp. Nice.

Switch the lever to ĒopenĒ and let her go... Going downhill the bike feels very planted. Did some minor drops and it was buttery smoooth. Inspiring!

So far, so good.

Moblile mail, tyops apoliged.

mtbr member
    What bike did you come from? I really don't feel the need to touch the lever. Ever.

mtbr member
    May 2015

New 2019 Jeffsy 29&quot;

Last season Whyte S150Works and before that Yeti SB5 and Pivot. I like a bit more racy feeling so I will iterate further. Wintertimes I do fatbiking, so that may affect to my ďbutt feelingĒ

The need to touch the lever is also dependent the terrain. I live in somewhat flat terrain (small hills) thus constant ups and downs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018

Iíve applied some gorilla tape on my brake/shifter housing. Letís see how it holds up!

Been out with this applied for two rides here in Scotland and itís holding up great!
    Thanks for the tip!

mtbr member
    Last season Whyte S150Works and before that Yeti SB5 and Pivot. I like a bit more racy feeling so I will iterate further. Wintertimes I do fatbiking, so that may affect to my ďbutt feelingĒ

The need to touch the lever is also dependent the terrain. I live in somewhat flat terrain (small hills) thus constant ups and downs.

Fair enough. In my mind that sounds counter intuitive - I'd think if it's constant up and down last thing you want is to have to switch the lever all the time.

Brisbane AU is flat as a pancake and the reason why I never touch mine - too much pedalling and descending on the same trails.

mtbr member
    May 2015

New 2019 Jeffsy 29&quot;

I hear you and agree. The less lever switching, the better.

And Iím still on the learning curve for sure. Just came back from 4th time on this bike. I put bit more air to dpx and the rear feels much progressive.

Fun bike!

Last edited by 69Hz; 3 Days Ago at 04:56 AM.

mtbr member
    I hear you and agree. The less lever switching, the better.

And Iím still on the learning curve for sure. Just came back from 4th time on this bike. I put bit more air to dpx and the rear feels much progressive.

Fun bike!

Agreed. Prob still the one thing I need to work on, the rear shock. I'm roughly at sag and feels good climbing but not the greatest grip on rough descents. Coming from an Evil with an EXT coil might have ruined that for me though...

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Hello All,

I'm also looking at buying my first Jeffsy, but I wonder if they haven't pushed the "long low and slack" a bit too far. Thinking mainly about the STA which, with 77,5' to 78' seems to be in a league on it's own. Looking here at a comparison for popular 2018/2019 bikes, it's on average around 74' and not a single bike exceeds to 76' or beyong:
    https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mt...ast-2-seasons/

Questions to those who already own one:
    • Does this impact your riding style?
    • Does it make tackling unexpected drops more difficult given that your weight is put more to the front of the bike?
    • How about wheelie / manuals?
    • Anything else worth mentioning about the STA?

An alternative bike I'm considering is the Santa Cruz HT, which has a different geometry. Are there riders that went from the HT to a 2019 Jeffsy? (there are comparisons online between these two bikes, but not to the 2019 version of the Jeffsy and given how much the geo has changed, new info is welcome!)

Cheers,

Lee

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Iíve started noticing that my hoses are rattling inside the down tube. I canít remember if that was from new. Anybody else hearing this?

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    I answer with my feeling of the bike :

Quote Originally Posted by BikingLee View Post

• Does this impact your riding style? I was on a hardtail before. The riding position is more up right. I will propably swap the stem for one longer and a handlebar with less rise
    • Does it make tackling unexpected drops more difficult given that your weight is put more to the front of the bike? I found that the front is not so much charged
    • How about wheelie / manuals? No problem and I'm not a specialist
    • Anything else worth mentioning about the STA? Do you mean stack ?

mtbr member
    Hello All,

I'm also looking at buying my first Jeffsy, but I wonder if they haven't pushed the "long low and slack" a bit too far. Thinking mainly about the STA which, with 77,5' to 78' seems to be in a league on it's own. Looking here at a comparison for popular 2018/2019 bikes, it's on average around 74' and not a single bike exceeds to 76' or beyong:
    https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mt...ast-2-seasons/

• Does it make tackling unexpected drops more difficult given that your weight is put more to the front of the bike?

An alternative bike I'm considering is the Santa Cruz HT, which has a different geometry. Are there riders that went from the HT to a 2019 Jeffsy? (there are comparisons online between these two bikes, but not to the 2019 version of the Jeffsy and given how much the geo has changed, new info is welcome!)

Cheers,

Lee
    I'll give you my feedback. My Evil had 74.5 and the Norco Sight 74.3 - the Norco was a L so I was super stretched out when climbing, not great.

When I read the numbers for the Jeffsy I knew it was the bike I wanted. All of them perfect, specially the STA.

Does it impact my riding? - yes, I am much more central on the bike when climbing, more over the BB thus more comfortable. I find it a better position to climb. On the descents, the seat is also further forward so more out of the way for me ( I tend to ride further back when attacking the trail)

Regarding Drops - do you mean with the seat up? Don't think I ever had a drop come at me with the seat up as they're usually on descents? Either way, no.

Manuals/Wheelies - I'm good at wheelies and this bike works just as well or better than most. Manuals took a bit to get the sweet spot but that's just like any bike. The evil was shorter and shorter chainstays so def less effort, but no problems to manual while on the trail and negotiating obstacles.

Anything else to mention about STA - nothing more than what was said. It gives you the best of both worlds - allows you to run a longer reach when standing up, making you more central on the bike, more stable but then creates a ver comfortable and powerful position for climbing. It works for me.
    The seat tube length is also super important, it's short enough to run much longer dropper posts so you can really get the seat out of the way. I am getting a 175mm dropper next few days.

I never owned a HT but tried a HT LT - really nice bike. It was also a Medium and it definitely felt shorter on the reach which made it playful. STA being slacker wasn't noticeable as much as the bike was shorter but def didn't feel the same power as with the YT.
    Also... The frame alone on a SC is worth 75% of a YT.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Fobi, Bam da Silva, thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated!

The riding position is more up right. I will propably swap the stem for one longer and a handlebar with less rise
    Sounds like it would work nicely for me. I'm rather tall (1m91 / 6-3") but with long legs (95cm inseam) and a short torso. If the bike is rather short I can take the XXL to have enough room for my legs without the feeling of being in a "diving position" on my bike.

but def didn't feel the same power as with the YT.
    What did you mean to discribe here? One of the reasons why I find the SC HT interesting is because it's honored for it's pedaling efficiency. The YT should have improved this part compared to the previous version, but I'm not sure if it's on par with the HT.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Iíve started noticing that my hoses are rattling inside the down tube. I canít remember if that was from new. Anybody else hearing this?

If you are getting rattling in the tubes after having applied gorilla tape behind the housing plugs, try loosening the screws at the other end where the housing exists the Frame near the bottom bracket and gently pulling any slack out of the housing. May only be a few mm, but just enough to keep the housing tight inside the tubes and not banging around inside. I had the same issue and this solved it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Hello All,

Lee
    My impressions are that my riding style is definitely modified due to the added length, but not the STA. As others have stated, the added reach and added length in the wheelbase makes me feel much more centered in the bike rather than off the back, so this takes a little getting used to when decending fast. To me it seams to "carve" around corners rather than "whipping or darting" around corners. For climbing I find the centered position to be a big improvement, and I'm finding I can climb steeper and more technical terrain than either of my last 2 bikes (2017 Norco Sight 27.5, 2017 YT Jeffsy CF Pro 29).

Drops are easier in my opinion due to the added length and stability. Both my previous bikes were fantastic aggressive trail bikes, but the new Jeffsy is definitely in another category of stability than either of those. Not saying this is better, but certainly different in how it feels. This may be partly due to it being an XL while my others were both L, but it is noticeable from the first moment you start to peddle the bike around. It does trade some playfulness for all that stability, but I find the suspension to still be very supportive and "poppy", and I have no problem with large bunnyhops over tall logs or other obstacles on the trail or any other technical trail maneuver.

Wheeling and manualing felt strange when trying them back to back agains my older shorter bikes, but I got used to it very quick and as Bam da Silva said, I think it wheelies and manuals better than most - at least as easily as my other bikes. Just takes a ride or two to figure out the weighting / balance points, etc.

Lastly, I had to lower the bars on both of my last two bikes to get a comfortable position for seated reach and to feel like I could weight the bars effectively when cornering. The new Jeffsy Pro Race is taller than I'm used to compared to how my old bikes were set up, but with the added reach in the frame I feel it's perfect and I haven't had to change anything. The longer reach and centered position automatically makes me feel properly weighted on both tires when cornering and decending, and as I said before it's a much more comfortable effective climbing position.

mtbr member
    May 2015

Sounds like it would work nicely for me. I'm rather tall (1m91 / 6-3") but with long legs (95cm inseam) and a short torso. If the bike is rather short I can take the XXL to have enough room for my legs without the feeling of being in a "diving position" on my bike.

What did you mean to discribe here? One of the reasons why I find the SC HT interesting is because it's honored for it's pedaling efficiency. The YT should have improved this part compared to the previous version, but I'm not sure if it's on par with the HT.
    I pretty much agree what Fobi, DaSilva and Scoobs mentioned in their reviews here. The ST is steep and thus gives you nice upright pedalling platform. I havent felt it excessive by any means. Compared to my previous bikes relatively steep uphills go up without using the saddle tip.

What comes to pedaling efficiency and handling mtb specific terrain, different suspension designs have their pros and cons. However, I think that the rear shocks have developed so much lately that the performance gap has become smaller than ever.

The YT frame build quality and details are very good. I havenít opened the bushings or BB to see what is under the hood. There may be differences, dunno.

What I know is that you get top notch suspension and build kit at the price of premium brand Gx-build. At the end of the day it is up to you which way to go. It ainít always easy...
    Last edited by 69Hz; 13 Hours Ago at 09:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018

You're welcome.

I can suggest you to test a Specialzed Stumpjumper ST but one size over what you're thinking to order in YT.
    I had the same feeling with this bike as my YT Jeffsy.

mtbr member

Lastly, I had to lower the bars on both of my last two bikes to get a comfortable position for seated reach and to feel like I could weight the bars effectively when cornering. The new Jeffsy Pro Race is taller than I'm used to compared to how my old bikes were set up, but with the added reach in the frame I feel it's perfect and I haven't had to change anything. The longer reach and centered position automatically makes me feel properly weighted on both tires when cornering and decending, and as I said before it's a much more comfortable effective climbing position.
    Ah, interesting! I am running a higher bar height on this bike as well. I like 25mm raise bars (maybe for the moto look, but also to keep the reach accurate) and usually have them fully slammed. On this I have a 5mm spacer and although the bike was already higher, it's been great. Will try without it eventually just to see. Also mention that I used the flat headset cap, not the silly 15mm it comes installed with, that thing is horrible. So happy when I saw it also came with a flat cap.

Also, if anyone can fit a longer dropper to their bikes, do it. Changed mine to a 175mm transfer and loving it!

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    I can suggest you to test a Specialzed Stumpjumper ST but one size over what you're thinking to order in YT.
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I think I prefer the YT.

Looking at the geo numbers of the Stump. ST, what I don't like is that the Seat Tube Angle is decreasing while sizing up. Even if this doesn't happen, taller people end up more over the rear wheel as they move their saddle up under the given angle. To compensate, I would maybe expect a steeper STA for taller riders rather than what Specialized has done here, making it worse by slackening the angle.

Climbing might be good for someone with size small. The STA is 75,8' and the saddle will be fairly low. But for an XL, saddle way up high and the STA becomes 74,7', it could be that he'll struggle on the same hills trying to keep weight on the front wheel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I think I prefer the YT.

Looking at the geo numbers of the Stump. ST, what I don't like is that the Seat Tube Angle is decreasing while sizing up. Even if this doesn't happen, taller people end up more over the rear wheel as they move their saddle up under the given angle. To compensate, I would maybe expect a steeper STA for taller riders rather than what Specialized has done here, making it worse by slackening the angle.

Climbing might be good for someone with size small. The STA is 75,8' and the saddle will be fairly low. But for an XL, saddle way up high and the STA becomes 74,7', it could be that he'll struggle on the same hills trying to keep weight on the front wheel.
    It's a tip if you want to feel on how you will be on a YT.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123