New 2019 Jeffsy 29" - Page 3- Mtbr.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Bam da Silva View Post
    I did not get along with my DPX2, it was good but didn't feel like it could keep up with how good the rest of the bike is. Particularly the 36 up front. Could have played with it more but having come from a bike with coil, decided to give the IL a try which I am yet to get ride on.

Enviado do meu Pixel 3 atravťs do Tapatalk
    I'd be really curious how you like the IL. I'm sure you'll love it as I did on my 2017, but specifically how you end up feeling it compares to the DPX2 on the Pro Race? Let us know...

Also, for those interested I bumped up my 36 to 160mm. I read somewhere that someone had contacted YT about doing the same thing and YT said they "don't recommend" it or something to that effect. Seeing as people were riding the old MK1 140 version with 160 forks I figured it would be fine to run the new Pro Race with a 160. I have a whistler trip coming up and felt like servicing the fork beforehand anyway, so I bumped it to 160 while I was at it. So far it's been great - no noticeable detriment to climbing and just a touch more stroke and slacker head angle to make descending burly terrain even better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blank3k View Post
    I have a 2019 Jeffsy CF Pro, though not specific to the bike but since plenty of people here seem experienced with Carbon & this is my first, what do you do regarding paint chips? - I picked up my first chip recently (very small) - I gather you aren't supposed to leave it as water etc can penetrate the carbon - so my current train of thought is some matte white nail polish and some clear coat, is this a stupid idea or is there a better method etc?

(Latest photo of the bike, simply because I've not seen any white CF Pros here..)
    I like white And I like white grips on yours. I have White/Black '17

Don't worry abut paint chips. It's cosmetic only. Not much can harm the carbon honestly.
    Water get's in to the carbon frame all the time. When you riding, washing it etc... That's why there is a drain hole in the bottom of BB area
    More you beef it up, more it will handle like a cow....:skep:

mtbr member
    I have a 2019 Jeffsy CF Pro, though not specific to the bike but since plenty of people here seem experienced with Carbon & this is my first, what do you do regarding paint chips? - I picked up my first chip recently (very small) - I gather you aren't supposed to leave it as water etc can penetrate the carbon - so my current train of thought is some matte white nail polish and some clear coat, is this a stupid idea or is there a better method etc?
    I hadn't heard that there was an issue with exposed carbon. I've always just left it alone and have never noticed an issue.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobiemario View Post
    I like white And I like white grips on yours. I have White/Black '17

Don't worry abut paint chips. It's cosmetic only. Not much can harm the carbon honestly.
    Water get's in to the carbon frame all the time. When you riding, washing it etc... That's why there is a drain hole in the bottom of BB area
    That's a good point, didn't think about the water that actually goes inside the frame from normal use - and here I was panicking about a raindrop landing on an unpainted pin sized dot

I did email YT when I made this post and they to my surprise, replied today... they approve of nail polish / clear coat, so ordered a cheapo nail polish i'll dab on the black spot and then dab with clear coat & wont worry about it

Loving the grips tbh, wasn't sure on the Snow Camo but i figured if it was going to suit any bike the white jeffsy is the one... stuck them on, love it! best £13 I've spent (DMR Deathgrips)

Quote Originally Posted by objectuser View Post
    I hadn't heard that there was an issue with exposed carbon. I've always just left it alone and have never noticed an issue.

I think a lot of stuff comes from the roadie scene where I imagine things are a lot more delicate & experience from a decade ago, I'm still suffering with some Carbon-anxiety but so far I've really had no issues.

Next one to get over/remedy is clamping it onto my tow bar mounted bike rack, that scares me every time as i never do it up tight enough I'll probably just get some pipe insulation foam and stick it around the frame so it holds it firm without too much pressure.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018

New 2019 Jeffsy 29"

Next one to get over/remedy is clamping it onto my tow bar mounted bike rack, that scares me every time as i never do it up tight enough I'll probably just get some pipe insulation foam and stick it around the frame so it holds it firm without too much pressure.
    If youíre running a Thule rack you can get special torque limiting knobs to ensure your donít over tighten. There is also a special sleeve that allows you to spread the load over your top bar. Iíve read that Thule advises against using conventional roof racks that clamp the frame if you have a carbon frame.
    Guessing you could also just clamp the seatpost to be sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Yeah, I'm a big fan of the racks that just clamp on to the wheels. I have a 1Up and it's pretty great. No worries about paint/carbon damage.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mfacey View Post
    If youíre running a Thule rack you can get special torque limiting knobs to ensure your donít over tighten. There is also a special sleeve that allows you to spread the load over your top bar. Iíve read that Thule advises against using conventional roof racks that clamp the frame if you have a carbon frame.
    Guessing you could also just clamp the seatpost to be sure!

Yup its a Thule rack, I did look at those Torque knobs but one of the reviewers said its far too tight for Carbon he did it on his hand & is positive it'd crush carbon... so that kinda put me off.... which is a shame, I also saw that sleeve - but decided in my mind a £15 sleeve with mixed reviews vs foam pipe insulation that would certainly add some bulk to the top tube for a better fit & I can't imagine it would do any damage.

oddly enough a friend of mine has a Thule roof rack which torques & I actually felt a lot safer with that clamping on the bottom bracket section with an effortless "click" which locked in place rather than tightening down on it with a screw knob & the design of the gripper was physically unable to release the bike if it did come loose.

Another idea I had was years ago I seem to remember Saris doing a cross bar that clips onto the seat post / stem - depending how much slack is involved this could be a very good option for really cranking on the pressure without any carbon worries at all.

Edit:
    Moment of madness, bought the Thule torque knob & carbon adapter.... will soon assess!
    Last edited by Blank3k; 08-27-2019 at 09:00 AM.

mtbr member
    That's a good point, didn't think about the water that actually goes inside the frame from normal use - and here I was panicking about a raindrop landing on an unpainted pin sized dot

I did email YT when I made this post and they to my surprise, replied today... they approve of nail polish / clear coat, so ordered a cheapo nail polish i'll dab on the black spot and then dab with clear coat & wont worry about it

Loving the grips tbh, wasn't sure on the Snow Camo but i figured if it was going to suit any bike the white jeffsy is the one... stuck them on, love it! best £13 I've spent (DMR Deathgrips)

I think a lot of stuff comes from the roadie scene where I imagine things are a lot more delicate & experience from a decade ago, I'm still suffering with some Carbon-anxiety but so far I've really had no issues.

I had some carbon anxiety as well. It's long gone after countless crashes :P

Carbon is strong. I love carbon.
    I've been running carbon bars for 1.5 years. Had some reservations.
    Not anymore.

GMBN had a talk about carbon bars before, or maybe carbon in general. They all said that they've seen broken alu bars, but not carbon...

Anything can break though. I won't say it's impossible...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
    I'd be really curious how you like the IL. I'm sure you'll love it as I did on my 2017, but specifically how you end up feeling it compares to the DPX2 on the Pro Race? Let us know...

Also, for those interested I bumped up my 36 to 160mm. I read somewhere that someone had contacted YT about doing the same thing and YT said they "don't recommend" it or something to that effect. Seeing as people were riding the old MK1 140 version with 160 forks I figured it would be fine to run the new Pro Race with a 160. I have a whistler trip coming up and felt like servicing the fork beforehand anyway, so I bumped it to 160 while I was at it. So far it's been great - no noticeable detriment to climbing and just a touch more stroke and slacker head angle to make descending burly terrain even better.
    Will do. Will take a few weeks to get into the rhythm of things after so many weeks off, plus setting it up... Sucks I only get to ride it after racing season is over haha
    I know what I won't like about it vs the DPX2 but hoping I will forget about it when pointing down.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yup its a Thule rack, I did look at those Torque knobs but one of the reviewers said its far too tight for Carbon he did it on his hand & is positive it'd crush carbon... so that kinda put me off.... which is a shame, I also saw that sleeve - but decided in my mind a £15 sleeve with mixed reviews vs foam pipe insulation that would certainly add some bulk to the top tube for a better fit & I can't imagine it would do any damage.

oddly enough a friend of mine has a Thule roof rack which torques & I actually felt a lot safer with that clamping on the bottom bracket section with an effortless "click" which locked in place rather than tightening down on it with a screw knob & the design of the gripper was physically unable to release the bike if it did come loose.

Another idea I had was years ago I seem to remember Saris doing a cross bar that clips onto the seat post / stem - depending how much slack is involved this could be a very good option for really cranking on the pressure without any carbon worries at all.

Edit:
    Moment of madness, bought the Thule torque knob & carbon adapter.... will soon assess!
    I had a pair of these on my last car and used them for my carbon road and mountain bikes with no issues.
    https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/bike-...de-xt-_-598004

You'd have to REALLY torque down the clamps to have any detrimental impact on the frames. I doubt you could even put that much force on them by hand.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Has anyone else encountered problems getting the brake calipers to stay centered when torquing them down? This is on the CF Pro Race with the Guide RSC brakes.

They want to always shift out of place when torquing and it's frustrating. My other bike with XT brakes is super easy to adjust/center.
    What's the trick with these?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
    What was required to bump the travel to 160mm?

I'm not sure how accurate this is, but according to Dirtlabs it will handle 170mm.
    https://www.dirtlabs.com/fork-travel-change/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hidperf View Post
    What was required to bump the travel to 160mm?

I'm not sure how accurate this is, but according to Dirtlabs it will handle 170mm.
    https://www.dirtlabs.com/fork-travel-change/
    Although the forks can handle 170mm, YT will say the Jeffsy was designed for 150mm front travel max. So it's not about the forks.

But if you do do it, you just need to buy a new 160mm airshaft.

mtbr member
    Can confirm, the 2019 Jeffsy goes well with the Cane Creek IL Coil

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Nice dude, looks slick on that frame colour with the Fox stuff too. Big upgrade from DPX2? Any experience comparing the inline to the CCDB coil or DHX2, does it give up anything on long descents without the piggy back?

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I'm really considering the Jeffsy 29 CF Pro Race....but would prefer a 12 speed drivetrain. Is the 12-speed XTR cassette compatible with the E*Thirteen hub? Also, besides replacing the 11-speed shifter with the 12-speed unit, would I need to upgrade the rear XTR derailleur as well?

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by LaszloPanaflex View Post
    I'm really considering the Jeffsy 29 CF Pro Race....but would prefer a 12 speed drivetrain. Is the 12-speed XTR cassette compatible with the E*Thirteen hub? Also, besides replacing the 11-speed shifter with the 12-speed unit, would I need to upgrade the rear XTR derailleur as well?
    XTR 12 speed requires a shimano micro-spline hub. Pretty sure the e13 is based on the older freehub technology.

mtbr member
    One of the reasons I bought the CF Pro was because it's a standard set of components, namely GX Eagle and Guide brakes. I didn't want to deal with the mix/match component set.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    E13 cassette uses xd driver. E13 doesnít have micro spline driver yet due to Shimano being dbags.

mtbr member
    Well. I ordered CF Pro Race the other day. What a specs!! Canít beat that. Can wait to get it

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bam da Silva View Post
    Although the forks can handle 170mm, YT will say the Jeffsy was designed for 150mm front travel max. So it's not about the forks.

But if you do do it, you just need to buy a new 160mm airshaft.
    Yeah, I'm aware that YT doesn't recommend it, but now that I own the bike, I'm not really concerned about that. lol

Thanks for the info! Let us know how the longer fork feels after your Whistler trip.

Ariolimax columbianus
    Sale was too much for me to refuse. 2nd jeffsy 29 cf pro. Just sold my old one last week after waffling for awhile and was gonna keep it. Iíll post up here when it comes in!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Nice dude, looks slick on that frame colour with the Fox stuff too. Big upgrade from DPX2? Any experience comparing the inline to the CCDB coil or DHX2, does it give up anything on long descents without the piggy back?
    Hey mate, thanks. Yeah it looks pretty sick and the gold from the CC matches the Kashima

Regarding performance, can't say much yet. Just came back from a scaphoid break and only did 15km tame KMs.

Compared to the DPX2 I can feel the benefits I wanted straight away - more grip, supple and able to track better. Also felt it wasn't overly dead, the pop is still there.

Haven't been able to test a DHX2 on this bike and certainly haven't had the opportunity to do long descents with the CC. Brisbane also doesn't have many very long descents, usually just steep and rough but short. so shouldn't be a massive issue.

I will share more once I ride it more

mtbr member
    May 2019
    "TACO" style aluminium bash guard on CARBON JEFFSY ? Safe? Not recommended? Will it void warranty?
    Last edited by adhdguy; 09-19-2019 at 11:10 AM. Reason: ...

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    One of the reasons I bought the CF Pro was because it's a standard set of components, namely GX Eagle and Guide brakes. I didn't want to deal with the mix/match component set.
    I second that. Did a test ride on both versions and the E13\Shimano mix just didn't feel that crisp when shifting (tested in muddy conditions) and I went with the pro version. Now half a year later I love the bike overall, but it's not perfect. Already replaced the rear wheel (TRS+ was lightweight but not strong. Spokes snapping near the rim - and that's for 1m91\75kg) and up next is the dropper. Technically the dropper is working, but I can't get used to the fixed positions nor the speed with which it fires up into your...

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quick follow up regarding transporting my Jeffsy CF Pro, thought I had made a reply but seems I didn't.

Thule Carbon Adapter - Very good & Has resolved my carbon anxiety, it's basically its a very grippy rubber strap which spreads the clamping force across the frame to prevent any uneven pinching, I actually tried it on an empty deoderant can (science!) and could leave a dent it very easily just cranking the normal knob without the adapter and when I wrapped with the adapter I could crank a surprising amount of pressure without deforming.

As for the Thule AcuKnob - Ehh, I wouldn't say its required for Carbon tbh Thule assures me its safe on Carbon but I be scared to crank it to its torque level without the carbon adapter, the two items should really be sold as a defacto bundle & despite the descriptions saying how its the ideal pressure etc every time imo it's still very tight & is more a "no more!" carbon-safety feature, I've just been tightening to the knob to a nice firm common-sense tightness level aided by the rubber grippyness of the carbon adapter it's not moved an inch despite 100 mile trips at high speeds / speed bumps / roundabouts, its solid.
    Last edited by Blank3k; 09-20-2019 at 01:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quick follow up regarding transporting my Jeffsy CF Pro, thought I had made a reply but seems I didn't.

Thule Carbon Adapter - Very good & Has resolved my carbon anxiety, it's basically its a very grippy rubber strap which spreads the clamping force across the frame to prevent any uneven pinching, I actually tried it on an empty deoderant can (science!) and could leave a dent it very easily just cranking the normal knob without the adapter and when I wrapped with it could crank a surprising amount of pressure without deforming.

As for the Thule AcuKnob - Ehh, I wouldn't say its required for Carbon tbh Thule assures me its safe on Carbon but I be scared to crank it to its torque level without the carbon adapter, the two items should really be sold as a defacto bundle & despite the descriptions saying how its the ideal pressure etc every time imo it's still very tight & is more a "no more!" carbon-safety feature, I've just been tightening to the knob to a nice firm common-sense tightness level aided by the rubber grippyness of the carbon adapter it's not moved an inch despite 100 mile trips at high speeds / speed bumps / roundabouts, its solid.
    Great insights thanks! Out of interest: why not just clamp around the bottom part of the seat post? Itís aluminum and pretty solid in terms of construction.
    Where are you clamping the frame now with carbon adapter? Top tube?

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Great insights thanks! Out of interest: why not just clamp around the bottom part of the seat post? Itís aluminum and pretty solid in terms of construction.
    Where are you clamping the frame now with carbon adapter? Top tube?

I originally clamped it on the top tube but I physically couldn't get it simply clamping downward on the top tube & it had to go through the frame and clamp upwards, which doing frequently was rubbing paint around the shock.

When I got the adapter I had a good play and found I could effectively clamp it on the downtube, I wasn't aware the seat tube was alu (though, makes sense) but I imagine it'd be a fiddly/paint damaging job on the regular.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New 2019 Jeffsy 29"-clamp.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikingLee View Post
    Now half a year later I love the bike overall, but it's not perfect. Already replaced the rear wheel (TRS+ was lightweight but not strong. Spokes snapping near the rim - and that's for 1m91\75kg) and up next is the dropper. Technically the dropper is working, but I can't get used to the fixed positions nor the speed with which it fires up into your...
    Agreed on the dropper. It works but it's a bit hard to get used to. I still have to think about it. If I don't let it go all the way up, it ends up dropping as I sit on it. I also don't like the loud bang as I drop it with my weight. That said, it's very reliable.

I've not had any issues with the wheels.

In total, the bike has been a blast to ride. I've done some PRs in flowy, fast cornering trails, which surprised me. I also love how it climbs, though I think I'm slower climbing on it than my Bronson (or maybe I'm just not in as good of shape as previous years).

I just love riding it.

Don't know if I'll keep the dropper though.

mtbr member
    Any Clydeís on this bike? Just wanna know how it performs for us big guys.
    2017 Surly Ogre

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    Any Clydeís on this bike? Just wanna know how it performs for us big guys.
    I'm only 6'2", but I've ruled out the Jeffsy out of concern that I won't be able to get the stack high enough (I prefer handlebars an inch above the saddle) since they don't leave any room for headset spacers. Otherwise it's my perfect bike. I'm curious if taller folks have had issues in that area.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ButteMTB View Post
    I'm only 6'2", but I've ruled out the Jeffsy out of concern that I won't be able to get the stack high enough (I prefer handlebars an inch above the saddle) since they don't leave any room for headset spacers. Otherwise it's my perfect bike. I'm curious if taller folks have had issues in that area.
    I'm 6'1" (so not taller, sorry) on an XL and have no issues with the stack. Saddle height depends on the length of your legs, so maybe if you are mostly torso the stack would be higher?

I find the Jeffsy to be pretty comfortable. I wasn't sure I'd get along with the longer front end, but I think it works great. I've noticed that I no longer throw my self way back on the bike during descents, seems stable to stay in a neutral position.

But I'm no expert on any of that.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Does anyone here have the Ember Orange/Blue CF Jeffsy that would be willing to show off their bike!?? I think I'd be interested in it but it's annoyingly hard to get actual pictures of it lol .

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    I pulled apart the rear pivots last weekend to inspect and resolve a little tap that I was getting when compressing the rear shock. Found a few not so nice surprises.

The two bolts for the rear shock were both starting to rust below the painted surface.

I was also surprised to see that the main pivot link sitting around the seat tube was getting quite badly scuffed on the inside. Itís not visible unless you disassemble the linkage but still, itís pretty heavy scratching. Anyone else notice similar points on their Jeffsy?

Iím 8 months and approx 1500km into the bike. Still love it but a little disappointed about this. Iíve emailed YT regarding both points.

Some pictures:

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    New Jeffsy 29" size XL arrived yesterday. Feels great!
    Thinking to test some changes: Stem 50mm -> Stem 30mm, Handlebar 800mm -> Handlebar 780mm with 38mm rise.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New 2019 Jeffsy 29"-img_1299.jpg  

mtbr member
    I pulled apart the rear pivots last weekend to inspect and resolve a little tap that I was getting when compressing the rear shock. Found a few not so nice surprises.

The two bolts for the rear shock were both starting to rust below the painted surface.

I was also surprised to see that the main pivot link sitting around the seat tube was getting quite badly scuffed on the inside. Itís not visible unless you disassemble the linkage but still, itís pretty heavy scratching. Anyone else notice similar points on their Jeffsy?
    Yow, I'll check mine tomorrow!

mtbr member
    May 2019
    "TACO" style aluminium bash guard on CARBON JEFFSY ? Safe? Not recommended? Will it void warranty?

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    It's starting to be muddy in the South-West of France.
    I just swapped carbon wheels to alloy TRS+ with a Dissector at the front and a Rekon at the rear.

Let see how it rolls in coming days
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New 2019 Jeffsy 29"-effects.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Hi, I have the 27 CF Pro with SRAM GX. Whenever I backpedal in the first gear, the chain drops to like the fifth gear and causes a mess. It shifts otherwise fine, just no backpedaling on the biggest cog. Any suggestions how to fix it?

Ariolimax columbianus

New 2019 Jeffsy 29"

Some shots of da jeffsy. Cf pro large picked up over Labor Day sale. Swapped out stem to a 32mm, transfer post/pnw loam lever, 30t chainring, and Reynolds carbon wheelset. Fitís good! Some shots at the local sandy trail(fort ord) before swapping wheelset and the other day in Tahoe.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I switched to the XTR 12 speed chain and adjusted my b-tension screw to fix the backpedaling issue.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nativeson View Post
    Some shots of da jeffsy. Cf pro large picked up over Labor Day sale. Swapped out stem to a 32mm, transfer post/pnw loam lever, 30t chainring, and Reynolds carbon wheelset. Fitís good! Some shots at the local sandy trail(fort ord) before swapping wheelset and the other day in Tahoe.
    Nice. Season is over for me and you're making me miss riding! I really enjoyed the Jeffsy this summer (I have the same model in XL). It took me a few rides to get used to it but after that, I really enjoyed how it handled and the climbing ability was always appreciated. I was able to make some tight turns while climbing much better than with my previous bike (2016 Bronson in L).

Ready for next summer!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc_Encinitas View Post
    I switched to the XTR 12 speed chain and adjusted my b-tension screw to fix the backpedaling issue.
    Which model/drivetrain did your bike have?

Ariolimax columbianus
    Nice. Season is over for me and you're making me miss riding! I really enjoyed the Jeffsy this summer (I have the same model in XL). It took me a few rides to get used to it but after that, I really enjoyed how it handled and the climbing ability was always appreciated. I was able to make some tight turns while climbing much better than with my previous bike (2016 Bronson in L).

Ready for next summer!
    yeh! sorry for the low quality pics, a few were video screenshots, all from iPhone. I had the mk1 Jeffsy cf pro, sold it, and this one is just that much better for me w/all the newer angles and extended wheelbase. riding on the steeper stuff felt like an old friend, pretty composed in some of the granitic chunk I hit. born and raised in CA so our riding season practically never ends. even when it's dumping fort Ord (where the sea otter is held) is a sponge, holds up in the rain, and is one of my local trails.

hoping to get back up to the Sierra next week for some bigger mountain riding, and really find my comfort level on the bike. eventually I might swap out the brakes to some codes off another bike.

this years shoulder season might last a bit. when we left Tahoe monday afternoon, temperatures were in the mid 60's, and only got warmer as we headed home to da coast. today is in the low 90's, we're less than 10 miles from the pacific ocean!

mtbr member
    Any of you come from a 27.5 Jeffsy?

I've had my 2018 AL since Sept 2018. I've since added a superdeluxe shock and MRP ribbon coil, tires, renthal risers, seat etc. Just replaced the aluminum half of the e13 cassette and installed a new chain, so I've ridden it a bit. :-) This was my first bike since I broke my leg in 2005, so nothing to compare it to. Just returned from our second trip to Sedona/Flag (from KC) and can't say I have any complaints about the bike...other than the "am I missing something" feeling by not being on a 29'er, not being on a Tallboy or Ripley? I'm 52 and in better shape now than probably ever in my life, that said, I've had my big injury and I'm fine doing what I'm doing...probably no drops more than 2 feet or so, no big jumps, love to climb and knock down miles but still have some fun on downhills popping off things and messing around, while keeping myself somewhat safe. Normal rides around KC and Ark are punchy climbs, rocks, roots, etc. Since my previous bike was a 26 it seemed like too big of a jump and felt weird to even sit on a 29'er a year ago. Now with a year under my belt I feel like I could make a more educated demo ride.

I guess just looking for some honest input from anyone that's owned or done a longer demo on a Ripley, Ripmo, Tallboy or HT or simply gone from 27.5 to 29?

mtbr member
    I wonder what spacers are people running in DPX2 ?

My '19 Pro Race has grey spacer installed. I wasn't using full travel, so I dropped the PSI a little. Than I noticed I had sag way too deep, over 40%. That explains frequent pedal strikes.
    So I'm gonna try purple spacer, or actually I ordered grey one, and I'm gonna run it on the belt sander. I don't need whole set of spacers for $35 and than use just one thin one, or maybe none....
    Also, recommended PSI is 220 for me (220lbs ready to ride), but I had to go up to 240 to get it at just a hair over 30% sag. I'm at 18mm now(out of 55mm), so that's probably 31%.

One last thing. That air can is a B*&%& to put back. It took me a while to thread it back. Not looking forward to opening it again. :mad2:

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobiemario View Post
    I wonder what spacers are people running in DPX2 ?

My '19 Pro Race has grey spacer installed. I wasn't using full travel, so I dropped the PSI a little. Than I noticed I had sag way too deep, over 40%. That explains frequent pedal strikes.
    So I'm gonna try purple spacer, or actually I ordered grey one, and I'm gonna run it on the belt sander. I don't need whole set of spacers for $35 and than use just one thin one, or maybe none....
    Also, recommended PSI is 220 for me (220lbs ready to ride), but I had to go up to 240 to get it at just a hair over 30% sag. I'm at 18mm now(out of 55mm), so that's probably 31%.

One last thing. That air can is a B*&%& to put back. It took me a while to thread it back. Not looking forward to opening it again. :mad2:
    I'm 211lbs ready to ride and need 266psi for 25% sag on my 2019 CF Pro Race on the low cam setting. I found that any more sag and I was peddle striking constantly.

I haven't pulled mine apart yet to see if it had any spacers, but Fox support told me that neither my shock nor my fork had spacers based on the serial numbers, although I've heard differently.
    I did buy the full kit for the shock and a bunch for the fork as I plan on doing some major tuning sessions if it ever dries up around here.

Edit: Pulled the air cap off the fork today and it has 2 volume spacers from the factory.
    Last edited by hidperf; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I think the choice of 27.5 and 29 depends on your height. I'm 6'5" and I've found my 29ers to be more playful than the 26" and 27.5" bikes I've owned, but that's probably because 29ers fit me best. BTW, I've ridden all the bikes you listed and prefer my 2019 XXL Jeffsy 29.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc_Encinitas View Post
    BTW, I've ridden all the bikes you listed and prefer my 2019 XXL Jeffsy 29.
    I guess that's what I need to figure out is just HOW much better at climbing are the other bikes, for me. And am I going to give up some descending comfort, even though I'm not using all my 140/150 currently, if I go to a shorter travel bike. I'm 6'1" 31" inseam. I certainly have a comfort with YT and the Jeffsy geo on my AL bike, so a 29'er carbon YT would be an easy purchase. Although, if I could make the math work, I'd rather build my next bike with i9 Wheels and my own suspension.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Anyone line one of these up in a xc marathon type event?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by slowdownthehill View Post
    No-but....
    I have a Scott spark, XC assault weapon, 100mm front and rear, light build, for when I was thinking about endurance XC events....I actually rode that bike saturday to link up some road sections on my way to the trails.
    Sunday I rode my jeffsy, that I have built up as 140 front and rear. I have a less burly tires than normal on the jeffsy (forgot name of the rear maxxis I have, fast rolling micro knobs), meaning the bike is a little more XC setup currently and I could see me grabbing this bike way more than the scott for XC oriented stuff...its just so comfy and fun and handles a LOT of terrain.
    I have a coil shock for the jeffsy too, making it 150mm, another set of wheels if I need it for burlier rides, but man---if you are just enthusiast marathon type stuff, with the right wheels/tires, I think the Jeffsy is one of the most well suited truly all purpose bikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by stiksandstones View Post
    No-but....
    I have a Scott spark, XC assault weapon, 100mm front and rear, light build, for when I was thinking about endurance XC events....I actually rode that bike saturday to link up some road sections on my way to the trails.
    Sunday I rode my jeffsy, that I have built up as 140 front and rear. I have a less burly tires than normal on the jeffsy (forgot name of the rear maxxis I have, fast rolling micro knobs), meaning the bike is a little more XC setup currently and I could see me grabbing this bike way more than the scott for XC oriented stuff...its just so comfy and fun and handles a LOT of terrain.
    I have a coil shock for the jeffsy too, making it 150mm, another set of wheels if I need it for burlier rides, but man---if you are just enthusiast marathon type stuff, with the right wheels/tires, I think the Jeffsy is one of the most well suited truly all purpose bikes.
    Would you see yourself at a big disadvantage on the Jeffsy vs the Spark if you put something fast like 2.35 ikons on the jeffsy for race day?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by slowdownthehill View Post
    I rode my 18 AL jeffsy in the SM100 last year with some lighter tires. Did just fine! I'm sure a shorter travel bike would be more optimal, but on events with long grinding climbs and long descents I think the Jeffsy is just fine. If it were a 100 mile race on rolling terrain I would want something a little sportier.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MudderNutter View Post
    I rode my 18 AL jeffsy in the SM100 last year with some lighter tires. Did just fine! I'm sure a shorter travel bike would be more optimal, but on events with long grinding climbs and long descents I think the Jeffsy is just fine. If it were a 100 mile race on rolling terrain I would want something a little sportier.
    Damn! Nice work! My '18 27.5 Jeffsy AL is 33 lbs with DHF 2.6/Aggressor 2.5 combo, MRP coil and Super Deluxe shock, bike yoke dropper...nothing light really. I just got back into riding a year ago. I did the Epic 30 in Bentonville as a test a few weeks ago. Finished a little below mid pack, but was just trying to finish, not shooting for a time. I'll tell you what I didn't do...get a flat with some weight weenie tires! SO many light bike guys putting tubes in 5 miles in! :-)) Bike is super fun and plush, but I feel like dropping 4 or 5 lbs with a Pro Race or Ibis Ripley would definitely help. No denying the value in YT builds!

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Snapped a spoke in the rear today, on the disc side. Wasn't doing anything rowdy, at least nothing compared to some of the rides I did in Scotland this summer! It broke in the J-bend, so at the hub.
    I don't have spares, so I ordered a few DT Swiss Competition 2.0/1.8 spokes which appear to the be the same size as whatever Ethirteen is using OEM. Ethirteen has a handy spoke length chart on their support page: https://support.ethirteen.com/hc/en-...-spoke-lengths

I've read elsewhere about people having endless numbers of spokes snapping in their Ethirteen wheels. Hoping this isn't a pre-cursor to more problems! Quite happy with these wheels so far!
    For reference. I've done just over 2000km on the Jeffsy so far.

Anybody else had a spoke fail on them yet?
    Last edited by mfacey; 1 Week Ago at 09:41 AM. Reason: typo

mtbr member
    I had a few spokes on my e*13 wheels break also in the past. E*13 took care of it and sent me the spokes I needed right away. Discovered it was due to too much tension on my wheelset. Corrected the tension and no more problems since then.

The customer service at e*13 is great. They'll probably send you replacement spokes if you explain the issue.

B.Ike
    Help...Low stock means i could get a 27.5L or a 29xl...I'm 6.05in and 33.5 inseam...Coming from a 18 Kona HonzoL ana a 14 Niner rip9L...Love the Kona except for too much weight on my hands on the flats, and my main complaint on the rip is poor technical climbing. I ride the hardtail 3 out of 4 rides.
    'm right in the middle of sizing, if reviews were as positive for the smaller wheels it would be an easy decision....Much more internet love for the 29...Help.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123