Jeffsy AL TWO 27- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2015

Jeffsy AL TWO 27

Looking at getting my first full suspension bike and looking seriously at the Jeffsy 27 AL TWO in the near future. My concern though since it's buy without try, is the size. I'm 5'8" 220lbs with 30" inseam.

Both Jeffsy sizes have a 50mm stem, so I could change that to a 35mm length and change the med sizes reach to 425.

My current bike is a Trek Xcaliber9 size 17.5, and feels perfect in the cockpit.
    Reach = 413mm
    Stack = 600mm

Medium Jeffsy 27 al 2
    Reach = 440mm
    Stack = 597mm

Small Jeffsy 27 al 2
    Reach = 415mm
    Stack = 584mm

Also with the AL Two having a shock without a lockout, will there be significant pedalbob felt, or does the linkage design minimize this?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDobber04 View Post
    Looking at getting my first full suspension bike and looking seriously at the Jeffsy 27 AL TWO in the near future. My concern though since it's buy without try, is the size. I'm 5'8" 220lbs with 30" inseam.

Both Jeffsy sizes have a 50mm stem, so I could change that to a 35mm length and change the med sizes reach to 425.

My current bike is a Trek Xcaliber9 size 17.5, and feels perfect in the cockpit.
    Reach = 413mm
    Stack = 600mm

Medium Jeffsy 27 al 2
    Reach = 440mm
    Stack = 597mm

Small Jeffsy 27 al 2
    Reach = 415mm
    Stack = 584mm

Also with the AL Two having a shock without a lockout, will there be significant pedalbob felt, or does the linkage design minimize this?
    I'm 5'10 with a 32" inseam. I ride the large. Pedal bob is minimal. I didn't even notice it coming from a Giant Trance. That said, it takes a bit to get used to coming from a hardtail.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'11 , 30" inseam. Thinking about a large , but worried that my seat would be lower than the bars. I currently ride a medium in specialized , 17.5".

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by johnD View Post
    I'm 5'11 , 30" inseam. Thinking about a large , but worried that my seat would be lower than the bars. I currently ride a medium in specialized , 17.5".
    Sounds like you are the same size as me. I got the large. The dropper post is too high fully extended. I have to push it down to the middle position for a comfortable riding position. A pain, yes, especially in races, but it does the job.

mtbr member
    looks like the leverage ratio is a bit to high on this bike for my weight. i am 265 lbs.
    Last edited by johnD; 08-16-2017 at 12:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by V1k1ng View Post
    I'm 5'10 with a 32" inseam. I ride the large. Pedal bob is minimal. I didn't even notice it coming from a Giant Trance. That said, it takes a bit to get used to coming from a hardtail.
    Hey, so do you find the Jeffsy a big upgrade to the Trance? Right now, I have Trance 2, Jeffsy, and the Commensal Meta TR on my list.

None of these bikes come with a full lockout and only the RT switch which stiffens the shock, but not lockout. I'm still concerned about this as my favorite trail has 40min climb, that I don't want to suffer through pedal bob.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothmoose View Post
    Hey, so do you find the Jeffsy a big upgrade to the Trance? Right now, I have Trance 2, Jeffsy, and the Commensal Meta TR on my list.

None of these bikes come with a full lockout and only the RT switch which stiffens the shock, but not lockout. I'm still concerned about this as my favorite trail has 40min climb, that I don't want to suffer through pedal bob.
    I never locked out my Trance so if there is pedal bob, I am used to it and don't notice. I wouldn't say it is a big upgrade from the Trance. Very similar to the Trance in fact. Although it seems "beefier" if that makes any sense.

mtbr member
    I never locked out my Trance so if there is pedal bob, I am used to it and don't notice. I wouldn't say it is a big upgrade from the Trance. Very similar to the Trance in fact. Although it seems "beefier" if that makes any sense.
    Do you have any pics of your bike with the seat post extended in the riding position ?

L1MEY
    Sounds like you are the same size as me. I got the large. The dropper post is too high fully extended. I have to push it down to the middle position for a comfortable riding position. A pain, yes, especially in races, but it does the job.
    This was also my hubby's issue with the dropper on his large Jeffsy. He's 6ft with a 31" inseam and the post was about half an inch too tall. He swapped it out for a Reverb that sits just a bit lower for the same amount of travel and said it's now perfect.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Ride like a girl! :cornut:

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by johnD View Post
    Do you have any pics of your bike with the seat post extended in the riding position ?
    Sorry, no pics at the moment. I can try to get one....

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Hi guys,
    appreciate this is an old thread now but I am just buying the jeffsy 27 al 2, and similarly concerned by potential pedal bop given lack of any lock out option on the shock. I had a Giant Anthem 2 (26" and 100mm) previously. I didn't experience bop but then its 66% of the shock I'm getting on the jeffsy...

My buddy loves doing 40k trail rides so I don't want to be struggling due to the bike killing me....
    I haven't found many reviews or saying how good the 2 a climber is. Appreciate any further input you can give.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    My AL One 29 pedals uphill as well as the hardtail it replaced. No noticeable pedal bob and I think I am actually climbing tech sections faster.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Swampboy View Post
    My AL One 29 pedals uphill as well as the hardtail it replaced. No noticeable pedal bob and I think I am actually climbing tech sections faster.
    Impressive!!! Do you "lock out" your shock at all? On the 2, there is no lock out option, hence the concern...

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    nope, no lockout. I may be overstating, but just based on my own riding experience with the Jeffsy, I feel like I am getting up hills faster and more under control, especially on rooty or rocky sections.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Awesome. That's making me happy with my choice of bike. Was getting worried for a bit that I'd made a mistake

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Of course, your mileage may vary. This is just my observations and feelings. Don't yell at me if your experience is different. LOL

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Why you wanna make me sad? Nope, this advice is contractual. If it doesn't pan out, I'm coming to you for a refund :-p

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Swampboy View Post
    nope, no lockout. I may be overstating, but just based on my own riding experience with the Jeffsy, I feel like I am getting up hills faster and more under control, especially on rooty or rocky sections.
    Hey Swampboy,
    I just wanted to double check. I know neither bike has a full lock out, but the AL1 have the chance to change from pedal to open, whereas the AL 2 doesn't. When you climb using your AL1, do you stiffen the shock and put it into pedal at all, or are you saying you don't find it necessary at all.

I understand you are saying this is all based on personal experience.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I am 5' 11" with around a 31.5 inseam and have a large, and it fits great except like others the 150 dropper goes too high fully extended by about an inch.
    In my opinion it pedals and climbs great. In the woods I leave it fully open. It doesn't feel bouncy to me at all.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Sorry to keep asking the same question... but where you say
    "In my opinion it pedals and climbs great. In the woods I leave it fully open. It doesn't feel bouncy to me at all."
    Do you mean you don't lock it out when you climb and always leave it in pedal and have no bounce at all?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I wouldn't say no bounce at all, but it is minimal and not noticeable or annoying to me. This is for seated pedaling, with a smooth spin. If you stand up and pedal it will bounce. And yes, this is with the shock and fork in full open mode. I am not sure if this is relevant, but I am a clydesdale size rider (#235) and I have the air pumped up pretty high.
    The upside is on technical/bumpy climbs where I can stay seated a lot more and it sucks up the bumps no problem, and the traction is great.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Thanks for the response buddy.. its much appreciated. What's your mileage like? I'm used to doing 20-25k's but I know people here who love to do 35-40+.. hence the relevance of the question

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I just started back again this fall after years off bikes and my rides currently are pretty short. No 35k rides yet!
    Not sure if I understood the question...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I ended up getting DW-link bike instead of YT. My previous bike had horst-link and it was plush but a poor pedaller. You can't take a single brush stroke and assume all horst-link are bad pedallers, but you can review the anti-squat values here for the Jeffsy.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1OrxmEQK4g

At least on the 2x system it's pretty good on the small ring, but the big ring is pretty bad, especially if you on the small cog pedaling fast.

FWIW, I did email YT, and the rep did suggest his own preference to have a lock out.

I know price point / budget maybe an issue - but you can also look to either spend $300-$400 to get a shock with lockout. Or look at other bikes...

At the $2500-$3000 price point, I would look at the Commensal Meta, Giant Trance 2, and the Diamondback Release 3/4 (The Release 4 given you a carbon frame with lockout @$3k, the Release 3, alum with lockout @$2.5k). And the Diamondback as their own version of the Santa Cruz VPP which is a better pedaling platform to boot. Seth Bike Hacks seems like like his Diamondbacks - even before they sponsored him in the past year.

The only thing you lose is Aaron Gwin doesn't ride it. But he doesn't race on the Jeffsy anyway ;-)

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I've been chatting with the YT guys too... to be honest it actually more felt like he was trying to upsell me, rather than give me an opinion, which is frustrating.

What I don't get is this is a trail bike... if the climb option is so essential / pedal bob is so bad then why would they build a bike without that option. I can't imagine its that bad as a consequence.
    The answer I got back was we build the bike the price point allows... Sure. But I still can't see it will be that bad... See how I'm convincing myself... ? ;-)

There were two other bikes I considered. One is the Meta Essential and the other was the Spectral 6 EX. Both that 500 more expensive though... If I was going up that high then I would go with either of them over the jeff I think.

I've gathered a number of opinions and I think I'm going to just go with jeff. Even if I went with one of the others, I still don't know how it would feel. And I've got 400 savings which could go on a shock with a lock out if I need one...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Well...it depends on the trails you ride. if they are flowly up and down then it's probably fine. If you long 20+ min climbs, where I am, I would have been very annoyed. But again the anti-squat is pretty good on the small ring and yes you can upgrade the shock if it does bother you.

Based on the kinematic analysis numbers the pedal bob will be noticeable on the big ring or if you change to a 1x system. They'll sell what they sell. Specialized still sells some bobby bikes without lockout.

Personally if I didn't upgrade my budget for an Ibis - I would have gotten the Diamondback for $3k for carbon frame and Fox w/lockout suspension. But it sounds like you are in Europe, so that option is not available. But you have other direct to market options.