Jeffsy 29 Sizing Help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Jeffsy 29 Sizing Help

I browsed through the other sizing threads, but still don't feel at ease. I'm a hair over 5'9" with a 32.5" inseam. Right on the boarder between a Medium, and a Large. I really like the way that a medium Ibis Ripley fits. Any help would be rad!

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I am 6'1 with a 32 inseam and I feel that the large is right on the edge for me. Part of it is because of the 150 mm dropper post. Maybe if you get the Large see if you can swap it out for a smaller post.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    hrm... from the center of my bb, to the top of my saddle i have 29 inches. From what i can tell I think i can fit on a large?

My concern is everyone says that these bikes run a bit small, but i certainly don't want to end up with a bike that is too large. I'm really beating myself up over this one, haha.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Right now I'm leaning a bit towards the medium. I emailed YT and they initially suggested a large, and then started backpedaling a little bit because of the seat post. I read somewhere that the lowest you can fit a 150mm dropper in a Large is 28.75 inches. I want a playful bike, but certainly want to be able to "get in it" on descents.

Danger Zone
    Your inseam would make me think you're closer to a large, but the reach on a medium Ripley LS is similar to a small Jeffsy. I'm 5'11" and ride a large Jeffsy and like the feel of it, but if you like the feeling of a smaller bike go for what you'll have more fun on.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I am a couple inches taller with the same inseam, on a large.
    I measured the saddle height with the 150 dropper at 28.75 minimum fully extended, with the raceface dropper. That's on a large. I have never compared stack height with other droppers, so I guess they might be longer or shorter.
    It's mainly the dropper that is a potential problem, the reach doesn't feel long to me.
    If they made the seat tube about a half inch shorter or shipped the large with a 125 dropper I think it would solve the fit issue for people near our size on their large frame.
    TLDR: my guess is you'd be able to make either one fit. You're right on the borderline.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I am the Same height and inseam, initially had a medium that was really playful, but swapped out for a large like it so much better, still very playful.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by alan1 View Post
    I am the Same height and inseam, initially had a medium that was really playful, but swapped out for a large like it so much better, still very playful.
    Thats very helpful! Thank you. Does yours have the e13 dropper on it? Any chance you can measure from the center of the bb to the top of your saddle?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    No I have the Reverb 760 from bb center to top of saddle and 25mm post still showing

mtbr member
    The reason I crossed the Jeffsey off my list of potential bikes is the long seat tube. I'm 5'9" and the large is about the minimum reach I would consider. My 160 Revive won't fit though I just bought a hardtail frame with a 420mm seat tube and 470mm of reach which is 5mm more than a XL Jeffsey.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for I suck at brake control. Heres a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by MudderNutter View Post
    Thats very helpful! Thank you. Does yours have the e13 dropper on it? Any chance you can measure from the center of the bb to the top of your saddle?
    If no one responds to this I will measure and send when I get home this afternoon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeGee68 View Post
    If no one responds to this I will measure and send when I get home this afternoon.
    That would be rad!

I think the large would be perfect if I can fit.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    That would be rad!

I think the large would be perfect if I can fit.
    Yes I have the E*thirteen 150mm dropper post. Measured with the post all the way down into the tube and the saddle raised all the way to the top it is about 29.5 inches or 749.3 mm. I hope that this helps. So with this set up the post can go up but not any lower in the seat tube.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    The reason I crossed the Jeffsey off my list of potential bikes is the long seat tube.
    THIS! Hey YT... you listening? The seat tube length is ridiculous on your frames!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Looks like I cant fit on a large. Thanks for checking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'm 5' 10", but have shorter legs (30" inseam). I measure my current bike from center of BB to top of saddle and I'm at 27".
    2018 YT Jeffsy AL 29
    2005 Felt F75 (roadie)
    1993 Specialized Stumpjumper FS (bar hopper)

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by zimm View Post
    I'm 5' 10", but have shorter legs (30" inseam). I measure my current bike from center of BB to top of saddle and I'm at 27".
    What bike is that though? Is that a jeffsy?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Looks like I cant fit on a large. Thanks for checking!

YOu might want to check out the new 29er capra

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    What bike is that though? Is that a jeffsy?
    No, my old cannondale. I've never used a dropper post, so no idea what "too long" of a post is. Can't you set the height it tops out at?
    2018 YT Jeffsy AL 29
    2005 Felt F75 (roadie)

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    No, my old cannondale. I've never used a dropper post, so no idea what "too long" of a post is. Can't you set the height it tops out at?
    Meaning you can only put the saddle so low, because the dropper takes up a certain minimum amount of height... so since the seat tube is long on the bike, the minimum saddle height is too high for me to fit on the large jeffsy

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Meaning you can only put the saddle so low, because the dropper takes up a certain minimum amount of height... so since the seat tube is long on the bike, the minimum saddle height is too high for me to fit on the large jeffsy
    MN just to give some tips. I feel that L is perfect for me, minus the 150 mm seat post. I intend to trade this out someday for a 125 and it should work wonders. Also, the current 150mm E*thirteen has 4 levels that I can set the seat to and I use the second to the top when climbing and riding flat and it is perfect. Very top is not too tall for me, but right on the border.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    MN just to give some tips. I feel that L is perfect for me, minus the 150 mm seat post. I intend to trade this out someday for a 125 and it should work wonders. Also, the current 150mm E*thirteen has 4 levels that I can set the seat to and I use the second to the top when climbing and riding flat and it is perfect. Very top is not too tall for me, but right on the border.
    Lol, right as you posted this I was staring at geo numbers thinking that I need to get the large with a 125mm post... So riding in the second to top setting isn't a huge inconvenience?

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Lol, right as you posted this I was staring at geo numbers thinking that I need to get the large with a 125mm post... So riding in the second to top setting isn't a huge inconvenience?
    No not at all, especially since you get used to the dropper you know when to stop at the right spot. I just set mine to that spot by hand when I started the trail.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Whelp sounds like i'll go that route when the large frame gets back in stock... I'll keep you fellas posted. Thanks everyone for the help!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Ahhh, so if it's too long, you just drop down to the next setting. That's not an issue for me. Especially since I'm used to doing it the old manual one. being in florida for a few years, I probably won't even use it.

Edit- just as I posted that, I got an email back from YT. I sent them my sizing and they recommended a medium frame for me.
    2018 YT Jeffsy AL 29
    2005 Felt F75 (roadie)

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Ahhh, so if it's too long, you just drop down to the next setting. That's not an issue for me. Especially since I'm used to doing it the old manual one. being in florida for a few years, I probably won't even use it.

Edit- just as I posted that, I got an email back from YT. I sent them my sizing and they recommended a medium frame for me.
    Sounds like you're in the same boat as me. They recommend a medium just because our inseams are too short on a large frame to fit over the 150mm dropper. The problem is that the medium Jeffsy has a much shorter reach than frames that I like to ride. For example look at the Trek Fuel EX 8. I fit on a 18.5 trek fuel perfectly, and the reach on that frame is much closer to a large Jeffsy (i believe the Large Jeffsy is still a hair smaller than the 18.5 ex8). The medium Jeffsy is a very small medium bike. This is why I'm thinking about going with a Large Jeffsy, and a 125mm dropper.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Hmmm... good point. i've always rode 18" frames. Back in the day I would cut my bars down really narrow for threading through trees, but now I'm running a full width renthal and it's a lot different feeling. Makes the reach seem even bigger.

The mediums are in stock however... even the 2017 model AL 2 for cheaper than a '18 AL. Rockshox pike vs fox 34... hmmm, might have to start a new thread.
    2018 YT Jeffsy AL 29
    2005 Felt F75 (roadie)

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Hmmm... good point. i've always rode 18" frames. Back in the day I would cut my bars down really narrow for threading through trees, but now I'm running a full width renthal and it's a lot different feeling. Makes the reach seem even bigger.

The mediums are in stock however... even the 2017 model AL 2 for cheaper than a '18 AL. Rockshox pike vs fox 34... hmmm, might have to start a new thread.
    Yeah, i've been going through the same decision process. Looking at the 2017 AL 2 a lot... I decided against it because it doesn't have a boost fork. I want to get a new wheelset for the jeffsy, and if I buy a nice wheelset I want it to be boost front and rear.

The thing about the mediums for me is that I see people on the forums saying they "fit perfect" and they are 5'6". It just seems like that bike shouldn't fit me. Maybe try getting on a modern trail bike that is comparable in size to the medium jeffsy, and see if it feel too small... and just fyi: I asked yt, and they allow exchanges for 14 days if you order the wrong size, as long as you don't ride it in the dirt.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I wish another 5' 10", 30" inseam rider would chime in if the medium works or if they wish they went large.
    2018 YT Jeffsy AL 29
    2005 Felt F75 (roadie)

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Go sit on a 17.5" trek fuel at your local trek dealer, and imagine that the medium jeffsy would be even a little bit shorter than that in the cockpit. BTW trek's 17.5 is only rated to riders at 5'7. I think I could make a bike that size work, but I'd rather have the longer reach. To achieve that you just need a shorter seatpost on the large frame. To me the biggest issue is getting a frame that feels good. I can swap a seatpost later, but it's hard to make a frame bigger.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    YT wrote back to another question I asked and they said I could use a large frame and a 125mm dropper post. That's adds another couple hundred to the price though. Good idea on sitting on a fuel. My cannondale is a 18.9" frame and I feel like there's a lot of seat tube sticking up but the reach is good.
    2018 YT Jeffsy AL 29
    2005 Felt F75 (roadie)

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Yeah it's unfortunate to have to buy a new dropper... but if you sell the e13 in like new condition i bet it would be pretty easy to get 200 for it. They are 290 msrp.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Yeah it's unfortunate to have to buy a new dropper... but if you sell the e13 in like new condition i bet it would be pretty easy to get 200 for it. They are 290 msrp.
    Here is a question that I have for YT. I believe when you look at the specs on the Jeffsy AL 29 they list the dropper post as E*thirteen TRS 125mm/150mm. I am assuming that they are putting that 125 on the XS, and S frames. I wonder if calling before you purchase they can swap it out for you at the shop.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I wonder if calling before you purchase they can swap it out for you at the shop.
    Nope.

Quote from their tech support:

"Unfortunately, we do not have 125mm in stock. All of our bikes arrive boxed up and we send them straight out to customers so all swaps need to happen on your end.

Sorry about that."

I'm going to order a large and deal with the seat post. I'm scared of being squished into a 17" frame. My torso and arms are like a 6+ foot person, but the short legs of a 5' 6" person (30"). So I'd rather have the reach and if needed get a shorter seat post.
    2018 YT Jeffsy AL 29
    2005 Felt F75 (roadie)

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Here is a question that I have for YT. I believe when you look at the specs on the Jeffsy AL 29 they list the dropper post as E*thirteen TRS 125mm/150mm. I am assuming that they are putting that 125 on the XS, and S frames. I wonder if calling before you purchase they can swap it out for you at the shop.
    Good thought! I just called, and they stated that they can't swap out the dropper for a smaller one, because they show up to them already boxed up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Nope.

Quote from their tech support:

"Unfortunately, we do not have 125mm in stock. All of our bikes arrive boxed up and we send them straight out to customers so all swaps need to happen on your end.

Sorry about that."
    Lol, we're both annoying the crap out of them i bet

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Well dang, I just went out and measured my cannondale. Turns out it's a medium, not large. 17". No wonder the seat post stick up so much. I guess I'll get a medium frame YT.
    2018 YT Jeffsy AL 29
    2005 Felt F75 (roadie)

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Well dang, I just went out and measured my cannondale. Turns out it's a medium, not large. 17". No wonder the seat post stick up so much. I guess I'll get a medium frame YT.
    I ride a 17.5 as well in most bikes. Im an 18.5 in trek because their sizing system is silly (virtual frame size) and what not.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Spoke with YT today on sizing on the Jeffsey 29

I am 6 foot ---34.4 inseam----6 foot wing span------while I could ride L or XL the recommendation was XL----part of this is I am in my 60's and prefer a stable bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    BB height and stand over----XL
    YT seems not to list on the site but does anyone know what these dimensions are???

mtbr member
    @zimm & @MudderNutter Another point to consider between the medium and large frames is the M frame has a 435mm chainstay while the L has a 440mm chainstay.

Zink said the M was definitely more playful and it's what he preferred.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by kwapik View Post
    @zimm & @MudderNutter Another point to consider between the medium and large frames is the M frame has a 435mm chainstay while the L has a 440mm chainstay.

Zink said the M was definitely more playful and it's what he preferred.
    Interesting. He is a bit over an inch shorter than me though... I wish I could test ride! I just think the cockpit would be too small on the medium for my tastes.

mtbr member
    Interesting. He is a bit over an inch shorter than me though... I wish I could test ride! I just think the cockpit would be too small on the medium for my tastes.
    Yeah, I ended up going with a large myself and changing the dropper to a 125mm.

I'm sure YT will have their "Rolling Circus" demo tour this summer. Also, you can demo at Sea Otter in April.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Just ordered my large Jeffsy! They ran out of stock in one day, and won't get mine in until the 28th. So... the wait begins.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I did my first ride on the medium Jeffsy AL 29. Even with the medium, the dropper post is all the way down and I wish the seat was about 1/2" lower. Glad I didn't go with a large. I kept the seat full up for the level trails to crank in some miles. When I got into the woods on the technical stuff, I dropped it one notch and kept it there the rest of the ride. Much better in the nasty stuff.

The bars feel close, but I'm also getting used to the geometry of a 29'er with a slack head angle compared to my old 26" bike. It feels like half monster truck, and half chopper with the forks raked out.

On the trail I did clear some obstacles and rode some steep decent ramps that I would have never tried on my 26" bike. Not bad for my first outing! The big wheels, big travel, and the comfort of not being clipped in helped a lot.

I'm 5' 10" and 30" inseam.
    2018 YT Jeffsy AL 29
    2005 Felt F75 (roadie)

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    The reason I crossed the Jeffsey off my list of potential bikes is the long seat tube. I'm 5'9" and the large is about the minimum reach I would consider. My 160 Revive won't fit though I just bought a hardtail frame with a 420mm seat tube and 470mm of reach which is 5mm more than a XL Jeffsey.
    what other bikes have you found? looking now at the jeffsy and spectral. for both of them I can either get really cramped on a medium, or have to buy a new dropper to fit a large. Commencal meta tr4.2 has the same issue with the seat tube. trek fuel ex8 seems like something that I can get my short legs to fit on something with a decent top tube, anything else you've found that might fit those with short legs by height?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tubby74 View Post
    what other bikes have you found? looking now at the jeffsy and spectral. for both of them I can either get really cramped on a medium, or have to buy a new dropper to fit a large. Commencal meta tr4.2 has the same issue with the seat tube. trek fuel ex8 seems like something that I can get my short legs to fit on something with a decent top tube, anything else you've found that might fit those with short legs by height?
    Guerilla gravity trail pistol/ smash
    Transition smuggler

mtbr member
    Guerilla gravity trail pistol/ smash
    Transition smuggler

Some others with decent STL numbers:

* Rallon
    * Capra v2
    * Hightower lt
    * Process 153
    * Carbine
    * S-150

Trail Ninja
    Dang, what HT has a 420mm seat tube and 470mm of reach? Assuming it's not a 29er. Sounds like a UK design, like a Moxie Pipedream.

Edit: Yep, checked Travis's post history and that's exactly it. Watching how my friends stand straight up when descending, I bet they'd like it, considering their frames were designed to have people hanging their asses off the back to stay centered.
    We're all on the same ship, and it's sinking.

mtbr member
    I am considering the new Knolly Fugitive. Local BC company, good LBS support, high quality, and well suited to my local trails.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for I suck at brake control. Heres a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I have no experience with a Jeffsy but I recently ordered a Lg YT Capra as I'm 5'9" and their fit guide places me in the middle to tall side of their recommendation for a Lg. I built it up and rode it around the neighborhood and it was just too big for me. The front end was harder to get to come up, front end kinda dove when in the air and my palms got a bit numb when climbing longer hills. I attribute all of that to me leaning to far forward. I then compared the numbers of the Capra to my current bike (2012 Md Cannondale Claymore) and even a Md had a longer top tube and reach than my current bike. I'm definitely on old Geo but the Lg was too much of a jump. I then went to competitive cyclist and did their fit guide which takes lots of measurements into account and they ranges they list for me on top tube and reach definitely confirmed my belief that the Lg was too big.

On a side note I have nothing bad to say about YT and their bike quality and customer service. YT has been pretty great with the whole situation, sent me a call tag and I'm waiting for the bike to get back to them and they do an inspection to determine that if the condition is good enough to be refund eligible. Fingers crossed as I've already ordered a Md Capra.

*For reference I'm 5'9" with a 32" in seam, 26" trunk and a 26" arm length*

mtbr member
    What length of stem on the Capra?
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    The stem on the Capra is short; they have it listed at 40mm on their website. The stems on the Jeffsy is listed at 50mm so although the TT and reach are shorter on the Jeffsy the longer stem should make it wash (Capra lengths are longer in comparable sizes) however put your weight more towards the front wheel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Well... not to get off topic in my thread that is off topic, but it sounds like my Jeffsy is finally making some moves! I ordered it on Feb 15th... one day after they went out of stock again. Then the container got stuck in customs in some port in LA on the 28th. Now YT USA has their paws on it, and are sending it to me tomorrow! They say 4 days of shipping. We shall see.

And Travis Bickle... I just realized that your avatar isn't you, and that I haven't seen enough older good movies. The Fugitive would be my top choice for a new bike if money wasn't a consideration. I figure I'll get the Jeffsy, and hopefully I will jive with it. If not I'll save up and get a fugitive frame to swap my parts over to. That bike is damn sexy.

mtbr member
    Yes are a great value, they just need to migrate Capra reach and seat tubes to the Jeffsy. I just assume everyone has seen Taxi Driver
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    The value really is tough to beat. I figure it's even a cheap way to get components, haha. I'm pretty pumped that they updated the wheels to the 30 internal diameter version, and swapped out the High Roller 2's for 2.4 DHR's.

Haha, I haven't yet... I'll add it to the list.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Whelp, I finally got my Large Jeffsy in!... and after all of that worrying I ended up fitting perfectly on the 150mm dropper. Woot woot!

mtbr member
    That is great
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Yeah I'm pumped on it! I assembled it last night/set it up tubeless, and am going to go on a short test ride tonight... and then I travel tomorrow to go race it on Saturday at the Snake Creek Gap Time Trials. Hopefully all is good to go, hah. It should be a good break in.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'10" (and wear 32 pants) and would not consider a M jeffsy due to short cockpit.

I've demod both a 17.5 and 18.5 fuel ex, the latter was much more comfortable.

When reviewing the geo numbers, the L just makes the most sense.
    If necessary, I would rather replace the dropper...then compromise with a short cockpit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jeffsy 29 Sizing Help-jeffsy.png  

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    another bike I had rules our was the commencal meta trv4.2. I'd mailed canyon and YT, they both said they don't swap parts. Commencal Aus is partnered with a bike shop who said if I ordered delivery there they could sort a dropper swap. looks like that is the way I'll go, or the 19.5 fuel

mtbr member
    Go sit on a 17.5" trek fuel at your local trek dealer, and imagine that the medium jeffsy would be even a little bit shorter than that in the cockpit.
    I used to think this would work.
    Simply sitting on the bike can be very deceiving.

You really need to take it around the block (at a minimum), to get a feel for the bike fit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

... I love this bike. Its a freakin hoot! Climbs so well. Goes down so well.

mtbr member
    What were you riding before, MudderNutter? And if you get a chance, and don't mind, can you measure from the center of the bars to the center of the seat (center of the seatpost)? I am trying to compare the sizing to my current bike to get an idea of how it will fit.
    2019 Yeti SB150
    2017 YT Jeffsy AL Two 29
    2011 Trek Rumblefish 1

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMTBer View Post
    What were you riding before, MudderNutter? And if you get a chance, and don't mind, can you measure from the center of the bars to the center of the seat (center of the seatpost)? I am trying to compare the sizing to my current bike to get an idea of how it will fit.
    My other bike right now is an el mariachi. 26.5 inches is the measurement I spent time on a ripely ls and a fuel ex8... the jeffsy is perfect for what I want

mtbr member
    Thanks for the information. I measured my Rumblefish (Large) and it comes out to 28.25 inches. At 6'1", I would have thought a large would be about right. Now I am concerned about it. If my understanding is correct, the Top Tube Length, plus the stem length, should give the approximately the measurement you did for me. On mine, the stem is a 110mm, with a 60.5 cm top tube. That gives 71.5 cm, or 28.15 inches.

On your Jeffsy, the Top Tube is 616mm plus a stem of 50mm, for a 666mm, or 26.22 inches. So your measurement confirmed that my thinking is at least close.

I picked up a 60mm stem from The Hub earlier today to see if I can get a feel for what a 26.25 - 26.5 inch measurement would feel like. I think the XL Jeffsy with a 21mm extra top tube length would be closer to what I am used to feeling. The seat tube length goes up 40mm from L to XL though, and I ride a 125mm post now, so I need to make sure I have 65mm extra room on mine with the seat post, since the seatpost on mine is within 2mm of the L Jeffsy.
    2019 Yeti SB150
    2017 YT Jeffsy AL Two 29
    2011 Trek Rumblefish 1

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Thanks for the information. I measured my Rumblefish (Large) and it comes out to 28.25 inches. At 6'1", I would have thought a large would be about right. Now I am concerned about it. If my understanding is correct, the Top Tube Length, plus the stem length, should give the approximately the measurement you did for me. On mine, the stem is a 110mm, with a 60.5 cm top tube. That gives 71.5 cm, or 28.15 inches.

On your Jeffsy, the Top Tube is 616mm plus a stem of 50mm, for a 666mm, or 26.22 inches. So your measurement confirmed that my thinking is at least close.

I picked up a 60mm stem from The Hub earlier today to see if I can get a feel for what a 26.25 - 26.5 inch measurement would feel like. I think the XL Jeffsy with a 21mm extra top tube length would be closer to what I am used to feeling. The seat tube length goes up 40mm from L to XL though, and I ride a 125mm post now, so I need to make sure I have 65mm extra room on mine with the seat post, since the seatpost on mine is within 2mm of the L Jeffsy.
    Im a hair over 59 and the large fits me perfectly. I cant imagine someone your height being comfortable on the Large. Its a small large, that is for sure! I ride a medium on basically everything else.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    XL----look at the reach on the l and xl-----I am also 6 foot and when I chat with YT they say xl ---confirming the large is a very small large and honestly the xl is a small xl

mtbr member
    SlowMTBer...

MudderNutter & pctloper are correct, at your height of 6' 1" - you need a xl.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. That is what I had decided based on measurements and having stuck the 60mm on mine a few minutes ago. It definitely felt smaller than I was comfortable with.

Something that I have been confused with lately, not related to this conversation, but regarding reach measurements, I hear everyone talk about proper size "based on the reach measurements" but that isn't always true. Reach is how far the head tube is in front of the bottom bracket, but the total reach you will feel is also affected by the virtual seat tube angle, correct? Because the distance the seat is behind the bottom bracket will make the bike feel longer or shorter with the same reach measurement. My understanding is that reach is more in line with the front-center specs of a bike.

I think feel is fairly accurately depicted by ETT plus stem length. Am I missing something?

In the case of the Jeffsy, with a steep SA, the reach number will feel shorter than another bike with a similar number and a slack seat angle.
    2019 Yeti SB150
    2017 YT Jeffsy AL Two 29
    2011 Trek Rumblefish 1

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Reach really is a standing number---ETT is a sitting number
    I am finding that to get say 460 reach on a bike then the ETT is too short-----irritating

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Yeah reach is the important number when you've dropped your saddle, and are goin downhill in full trail party mode

mtbr member
    That makes sense. So now my thoughts are, if the idea when going down steep technical stuff is to keep your weight centered vertically over the bottom bracket, then wouldn't a longer reach make that harder to do?

I have basically ridden the same bike for 6 years, so I am trying to get my mind around all the numbers, and how they relate to what you feel.
    2019 Yeti SB150
    2017 YT Jeffsy AL Two 29
    2011 Trek Rumblefish 1

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    That makes sense. So now my thoughts are, if the idea when going down steep technical stuff is to keep your weight centered vertically over the bottom bracket, then wouldn't a longer reach make that harder to do?

I have basically ridden the same bike for 6 years, so I am trying to get my mind around all the numbers, and how they relate to what you feel.
    Thats not really the primary goal. The goal is to have enough room to get in the bike. I think you need to go ride some bikes the numbers wont make sense in your head until you have something to relate them to.

mtbr member
    Trust me, I have ridden lots of bikes in the last 6 months trying to find out what I want. Everything feels so strange compared to my bike, so I am trying to find out what is supposed to feel right, and compare it to my current bike using numbers to figure out why they feel the way they do.

I have ridden the SC HTLT, the Niner RIP 9 RDO, the Ripley LS, the Pivot Switchblade, the Yeti SB5+, the YETI SB5.5, and the Ibis MoJo HD4. The Ripley LS, I felt immediately comfortable with the geometry, but I am looking for a bit more suspension than that bike has. The YETI SB5+ was the next most comfortable. I felt like I could attack the terrain on either bike. The SB5.5 and the SC HTLT, along with the Niner, all felt very foreign to me. Stepping up on 1 - 2 ft technical climbs was a lot harder on those bikes than what I am used to. It felt like it took a ton of effort to get the front wheel that far up while maintaining momentum.

After talking to a lot of people, I have came to the realization that the newer trends in geometry are going to feel much different, and I will probably need to pick one and get comfortable on it. I really think I want the Jeffsy, and a lot of the reason is the fact that the rear is so progressive, and being a larger rider, I have struggled with having a somewhat soft ride on roots, without bottoming on anything over 18 inches or so. The Jeffsy CF Pro is also spec'ed out with pretty much the exact parts I have been looking at. Any other bike (such as the Yeti) would be 8 grand, and then I want to change a bunch of stuff off the factory builds.
    2019 Yeti SB150
    2017 YT Jeffsy AL Two 29
    2011 Trek Rumblefish 1

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Oh, nice! Well Im no expert, but Id bet they felt foreign just because of the immense amount of travel, haha.

Take this for what its worth... previously my favorite bike I had ridden was the ripely ls. I also wanted a bit more travel, since I am keeping my hardtail. I am completely happy with the jeffsy. I cleaned a technical climb in my race last weekend that my buddy (who is a much more skilled technical climber) has never made it up. Since this was a race I was leaving the shock in trail mode in most climbing situations for the extra pep, but it climbs fine in open. The bike does not have that muted feel that a lot of longer travel bikes have. Id attribute that in part to the progressive rear suspension. To me the bike does not feel like it wants to plow. It wants to be flicked around and popped over obstacles whenever possible... but also can smash through things if necessary. It really is a fun snappy bike, and climbs very well for the price. When I ordered the jeffsy it was very much a F#%! It, how bad could it be moment. I am thrilled with it so far.

Ill be able to tell you a bit more after an epic in pisgah next weekend

mtbr member
    Cool, Thanks for the help. It may be a few months before I can order, but I am thinking a XL Jeffsy CF Pro 29 is going to be my next bike. I am trying to get a second house ready to sell, and once that happens, a new bike will be ordered.
    2019 Yeti SB150
    2017 YT Jeffsy AL Two 29
    2011 Trek Rumblefish 1

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Irritating----YT has told me that I would have no issues with a 150 dropper on XL----I am 6 foot with a long 34.4 inseam so this made sense.

But---I saw them at the Sea Otter yesterday and tried the XL-----the post was 1.25 inches too long for me-----

I mean how hard is it for these folks to have the right answer-----leg length to seat height is not magic except for YT----I have trouble keeping the Jeffsey on my list if this is a mystery especially after getting the same question numerous times.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The 150mm is stupid tall. I got a medium frame because of my 30" inseam and it was still too tall. I had to sell it for $150 and spend $400 on a real dropper that is 125mm and works perfectly. I should have bought a large and run a 125mm dropper because I'm 5' 10" so I'm a little upper body lanky with short legs.
    2018 YT Jeffsy AL 29
    2005 Felt F75 (roadie)

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pctloper View Post
    Irritating----YT has told me that I would have no issues with a 150 dropper on XL----I am 6 foot with a long 34.4 inseam so this made sense.

But---I saw them at the Sea Otter yesterday and tried the XL-----the post was 1.25 inches too long for me-----

I mean how hard is it for these folks to have the right answer-----leg length to seat height is not magic except for YT----I have trouble keeping the Jeffsey on my list if this is a mystery especially after getting the same question numerous times.
    I am on a large with 32.5 inseam still have 20mm before the 150 post is slammed you should fit on an XL must run your seat awfull low while pedaling.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Folks need to show care--I am an old road racer so my seat height is known at 30.125--a bit lower than on the road bike. At this height the Jeff in XL is not even close to working--it is a good 30 MM off.

Alan1---I too was surprised by this given my fit issue is usally my legs are too long and I get stuck between L and XL-----but with YT the large is pretty small so tge XL is the only option for me to get the reach I want

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    The 150mm is stupid tall. I got a medium frame because of my 30" inseam and it was still too tall. I had to sell it for $150 and spend $400 on a real dropper that is 125mm and works perfectly. I should have bought a large and run a 125mm dropper because I'm 5' 10" so I'm a little upper body lanky with short legs.
    I've been reading your posts on another thread about the sizing. I also am 5'10" with a 30" inseam (longer torso and shorter legs) I rode a 17.5 fuel ex and it felt kinda cramped and the fuel ex8 was just about perfect and a much better ride. Do you think I should get the Large Jeffsy and see if I have to swap to a 125mm dropper?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Keep in mind the size large has a 40mm longer seat tube than the medium, 440 vs 480. Id tend to think that is going to be too tall with anything shorter than a 32+ inseam, even with a 125mm dropper.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I'm not sure exactly what my inseam is exactly but I wear a 30" long pants. I measured my from the ground up to where they hang and its 30". I'm not sure if I need to measure all the way up. Can't really find a good answer on Google. Like someone said before comparing the 17.5 Ex Fuel to being a bit more cramped than the Medium Jeffsy. I just tested a 17.5 and my hands are to close and need to be stretched out to the 18.5 size which is a perfect size. Thinking about it I rather be comfortable riding than standing over my bike. Does that make sense? Logical enough to get the Large? I really wish I could see these bikes first.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Not sure if this helps but I'm 5-10 with a 31" inseam and I went with a large. Don't regret it for a second. The reach on the medium would've been too short. Actually there are times when I wish my bike had a little more reach, but other than the fact that it can't take a full-size water bottle, that's pretty much my only complaint. Such an awesome bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    That does help. Thanks for the input.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon708 View Post
    I've been reading your posts on another thread about the sizing. I also am 5'10" with a 30" inseam (longer torso and shorter legs) I rode a 17.5 fuel ex and it felt kinda cramped and the fuel ex8 was just about perfect and a much better ride. Do you think I should get the Large Jeffsy and see if I have to swap to a 125mm dropper?

Thanks in advance.
    Do not get a medium frame. It is too small for you. Definitely get the large and plan on swapping the dropper for a 125.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Thanks. I meant to say the fuel ex 18.5 was perfect size. The 17.5 had my hands to close to my body which had my weight going forward over the bars. I'm going to take all you advice and go with the large. Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon708 View Post
    I'm not sure exactly what my inseam is exactly but I wear a 30" long pants. I measured my from the ground up to where they hang and its 30". I'm not sure if I need to measure all the way up. Can't really find a good answer on Google. Like someone said before comparing the 17.5 Ex Fuel to being a bit more cramped than the Medium Jeffsy. I just tested a 17.5 and my hands are to close and need to be stretched out to the 18.5 size which is a perfect size. Thinking about it I rather be comfortable riding than standing over my bike. Does that make sense? Logical enough to get the Large? I really wish I could see these bikes first.
    To get your inseam measurement for bike fitting, measure from the floor all the way up to your taint with similar pressure as your bike saddle. A large hardcover book or something you Mcguyver out of a broom perhaps is needed. Barefoot or in your cycling socks.
    Then you can multiply that by .883 to get a starting point for your full pedaling efficient height measured center of bottom bracket to top of the seat.

Update on my large Jeffsy:
    I switched to SPD pedals and a new saddle and now it barely fits with the Raceface 150 dropper with a 32.5 inseam.
    The pedals give some more stack height, and the new saddle sits slightly lower.