Jeffsy 29 AL vs Yeti SB5.5?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Jeffsy 29 AL vs Yeti SB5.5?

Anyone that's ridden both care to share what they think of the Jeffsy 29 and the SB5.5?

I'm getting the itch for a new bike, and eyeing a SB5.5 as replacement for my Jeffsy 29 AL. I'm wondering how the bikes compare in terms of pedaling efficiency, playfulness, and low speed maneuvering (e.g. turning while climbing on tech terrain)

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by matadorCE View Post
    Anyone that's ridden both care to share what they think of the Jeffsy 29 and the SB5.5?

I'm getting the itch for a new bike, and eyeing a SB5.5 as replacement for my Jeffsy 29 AL. I'm wondering how the bikes compare in terms of pedaling efficiency, playfulness, and low speed maneuvering (e.g. turning while climbing on tech terrain)
    What are you wanting out of a bike that your Jeffsy isnít giving you? The sb5.5 is dated geo, so the question that comes to mind is why not look at a new carbon Jeffsy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MudderNutter View Post
    What are you wanting out of a bike that your Jeffsy isnít giving you? The sb5.5 is dated geo, so the question that comes to mind is why not look at a new carbon Jeffsy?

I'd like better pedaling dynamics for all the pedaling I have to do in the my local trails (more XC) but don't want a short travel bike. The Jeffsy has been a great all-around and capable bike, but even my SC Nomad V3 pedals better. I did look at the new carbon Jeffsy and I'm not sure if the new reach numbers would suit me. I'd like more reach than my Jeffsy but it's almost a 30mm difference if I'm not mistaken. One thing about the SB5.5 is that I can buy a frame and transfer all the Jeffsy upgraded parts (like carbon wheels, rear shock, fork etc).

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Ah I hear that. The 5.5 is a big bike. Itís nice, and Iíve ridden it. I wouldnít consider it more XC than a Jeffsy at all.

I have a Jeffsy, and a Trail Pistol (well itís my Dadís, but Iím the only one that rides it. Lol).... the TP is a dream if you want a rowdy bike that pedals much better than the Jeffsy. It doesnít soak up consecutive hits on the downs line the Jeffsy, but it holds its own.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Ah I hear that. The 5.5 is a big bike. Itís nice, and Iíve ridden it. I wouldnít consider it more XC than a Jeffsy at all.

I have a Jeffsy, and a Trail Pistol (well itís my Dadís, but Iím the only one that rides it. Lol).... the TP is a dream if you want a rowdy bike that pedals much better than the Jeffsy. It doesnít soak up consecutive hits on the downs line the Jeffsy, but it holds its own.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for an xc race bike but a different flavor of a Jeffsy-type bike. I wish i had gnarly terrain to ride on but I'm stuck in mostly flat land and making weekend trips to areas that suit bikes like the Jeffsy better.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by matadorCE View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for an xc race bike but a different flavor of a Jeffsy-type bike. I wish i had gnarly terrain to ride on but I'm stuck in mostly flat land and making weekend trips to areas that suit bikes like the Jeffsy better.
    Personally Iíd be all over a bike like a trail pistol then.... maybe a smuggler. If I could only have one bike that would be the ticket.

I used to live in a flat area, and NEVER rode my Jeffsy because it sucked there. But I also have a hardtail. So I understand the struggle, haha.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I demoed a Smuggler this weekend, and while it felt good it was a bit sluggish. My friend also rode it and commented the same thing about the Smuggler.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018

What stands out is the YT's super steep seat angle, longer reach and longer wheelbase. What are the benefits of the new design geometry? What are the drawbacks?

mtbr member
    I ride 2017 Jeffsy CF1 29 in eastern and central VA.
    I rode SB5.5 in Duthie Hill park in Issaquah, WA.

I feel like SB 5.5 pedals marginally less efficient than Jeffsy. But when it comes to doing drops and jumps(I am average rider, currently doing 5 ft drops and 6-7 ft gaps), SB 5.5 is more composed. Rear feels botomless. Jeffsy does not bottom out, but I think there is tiny bit more flex in Jeff's rear end. That creates little different feel.
    Fox 36 on the front of SB was also little bit better on the drops.

Only way to have fair comparison, would be to ride these bikes at the same place. But Id say Duthie Hill has some features that can be found in Freedom Park or Pocahontas Park in VA. That's what I'm basing it on.

I love Jeffsy, I loved 5.5. I think 5.5 encourages doing bigger drops and jumps little better than Jeff.

Oh, both are Large, and both fit about the same
    More you beef it up, more it will handle like a cow....:skep: