Jeffsy 29 AL vs Yeti SB5.5?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,295

    Jeffsy 29 AL vs Yeti SB5.5?

    Anyone that's ridden both care to share what they think of the Jeffsy 29 and the SB5.5?

    I'm getting the itch for a new bike, and eyeing a SB5.5 as replacement for my Jeffsy 29 AL. I'm wondering how the bikes compare in terms of pedaling efficiency, playfulness, and low speed maneuvering (e.g. turning while climbing on tech terrain)

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    734
    Quote Originally Posted by matadorCE View Post
    Anyone that's ridden both care to share what they think of the Jeffsy 29 and the SB5.5?

    I'm getting the itch for a new bike, and eyeing a SB5.5 as replacement for my Jeffsy 29 AL. I'm wondering how the bikes compare in terms of pedaling efficiency, playfulness, and low speed maneuvering (e.g. turning while climbing on tech terrain)
    What are you wanting out of a bike that your Jeffsy isnít giving you? The sb5.5 is dated geo, so the question that comes to mind is why not look at a new carbon Jeffsy?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,295
    Quote Originally Posted by MudderNutter View Post
    What are you wanting out of a bike that your Jeffsy isnít giving you? The sb5.5 is dated geo, so the question that comes to mind is why not look at a new carbon Jeffsy?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'd like better pedaling dynamics for all the pedaling I have to do in the my local trails (more XC) but don't want a short travel bike. The Jeffsy has been a great all-around and capable bike, but even my SC Nomad V3 pedals better. I did look at the new carbon Jeffsy and I'm not sure if the new reach numbers would suit me. I'd like more reach than my Jeffsy but it's almost a 30mm difference if I'm not mistaken. One thing about the SB5.5 is that I can buy a frame and transfer all the Jeffsy upgraded parts (like carbon wheels, rear shock, fork etc).

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    734
    Ah I hear that. The 5.5 is a big bike. Itís nice, and Iíve ridden it. I wouldnít consider it more XC than a Jeffsy at all.

    I have a Jeffsy, and a Trail Pistol (well itís my Dadís, but Iím the only one that rides it. Lol).... the TP is a dream if you want a rowdy bike that pedals much better than the Jeffsy. It doesnít soak up consecutive hits on the downs line the Jeffsy, but it holds its own.





    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,295
    Quote Originally Posted by MudderNutter View Post
    Ah I hear that. The 5.5 is a big bike. Itís nice, and Iíve ridden it. I wouldnít consider it more XC than a Jeffsy at all.

    I have a Jeffsy, and a Trail Pistol (well itís my Dadís, but Iím the only one that rides it. Lol).... the TP is a dream if you want a rowdy bike that pedals much better than the Jeffsy. It doesnít soak up consecutive hits on the downs line the Jeffsy, but it holds its own.





    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for an xc race bike but a different flavor of a Jeffsy-type bike. I wish i had gnarly terrain to ride on but I'm stuck in mostly flat land and making weekend trips to areas that suit bikes like the Jeffsy better.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    734
    Quote Originally Posted by matadorCE View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for an xc race bike but a different flavor of a Jeffsy-type bike. I wish i had gnarly terrain to ride on but I'm stuck in mostly flat land and making weekend trips to areas that suit bikes like the Jeffsy better.
    Personally Iíd be all over a bike like a trail pistol then.... maybe a smuggler. If I could only have one bike that would be the ticket.

    I used to live in a flat area, and NEVER rode my Jeffsy because it sucked there. But I also have a hardtail. So I understand the struggle, haha.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,295
    I demoed a Smuggler this weekend, and while it felt good it was a bit sluggish. My friend also rode it and commented the same thing about the Smuggler.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by MudderNutter View Post
    What are you wanting out of a bike that your Jeffsy isnít giving you? The sb5.5 is dated geo, so the question that comes to mind is why not look at a new carbon Jeffsy?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What stands out is the YT's super steep seat angle, longer reach and longer wheelbase. What are the benefits of the new design geometry? What are the drawbacks?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: scoobiemario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    216
    I ride 2017 Jeffsy CF1 29 in eastern and central VA.
    I rode SB5.5 in Duthie Hill park in Issaquah, WA.

    I feel like SB 5.5 pedals marginally less efficient than Jeffsy. But when it comes to doing drops and jumps(I am average rider, currently doing 5 ft drops and 6-7 ft gaps), SB 5.5 is more composed. Rear feels botomless. Jeffsy does not bottom out, but I think there is tiny bit more flex in Jeff's rear end. That creates little different feel.
    Fox 36 on the front of SB was also little bit better on the drops.

    Only way to have fair comparison, would be to ride these bikes at the same place. But Id say Duthie Hill has some features that can be found in Freedom Park or Pocahontas Park in VA. That's what I'm basing it on.

    I love Jeffsy, I loved 5.5. I think 5.5 encourages doing bigger drops and jumps little better than Jeff.

    Oh, both are Large, and both fit about the same
    More you beef it up, more it will handle like a cow....:skep:

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-23-2018, 10:11 AM
  2. Sell or Trade Yeti SB5 for Yeti SB5.5
    By cmeride in forum Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-07-2016, 02:14 PM
  3. SB5 or SB5+??
    By jaydoc in forum Yeti
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-14-2016, 08:14 PM
  4. Sb5 Enduro vs Custom sb5
    By dgregorie in forum Yeti
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-07-2016, 10:11 AM
  5. anyone actually compare a sb5.5 to a sb5????
    By jayoutside in forum Yeti
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-07-2016, 12:20 PM

Members who have read this thread: 57

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.