Jeffsy 27.5 Demo Feed back- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2017

Jeffsy 27.5 Demo Feed back

I'm in the market for a new bike and like the direct to consumer model. I do most of my maintenance my self and only go to my LBS (Golden Bike Shop for those in the Front Range) when things get really weird. I'm not a brand whore and I don't care to spend 2-3k more for 5% of a bump in performance. Rock Shock and Sram GX Eagle or Shimano XT will get the job done for me. For reference I'm 6-2, 138lbs, 34in inseam and a 10ish size shoe.

I rode the YT Jeffsy at Outlier 2017 (Oct) in Vail, CO.

They only had 27.5 in size large. It was a quick ride up a fire road and down single track. The single track had a quick mix of tight flowie, drops and loose dirt.

The YT didn't light my pants on fire. It climbed as expected and I used the open/climb switch on the shock. It seemed harsh on the downhill with the shock open, but I think the guy setup the shocks wrong. I'm 138lbs and they really didn't seem to listen when I told him my weight. They just had me bound a few times on the bike and let some air out of the shock. The tires were also a skinny 2.3in and I'm pretty sure over pressure as well ... meh. Other vendors (listed below) all took time to fully adjust both shock and tire pressure for me.

Ride aside the bike was nimble, but not overly twitchie. The cockpit felt good to me and I didn't feel the need to get over the front (like some slacked out bikes). There was plenty of room to shorten the stem if needed. I never felt out of control. It reminded me a lot of a Rocky Mountain I demoed over the summer.

The flip-chip seems useless unless it allowed to fit 2.8in tires on the bike and it won't do that. I'm not the rider that will notice .5 degree of head angle and I would challenge most people that claim they can. A full degree or more I'll notice, but not .5.

The biggest issue was my heels would hit the rear chain stays when I pedaled. It was the weirdest thing. I've never had this happen on my bike (Scalpel 2) or any other demo. When I got back to the tent I noticed that the clear bra protector on the chain stays was beat to heck and pealing off. It seems the heel strikes were a regular thing. I used my CrankBrothers pedals and Northwave shoes. When I told the rep, he said it was possible with clipless and I should switch to platforms cuz clipless were kind of old-school.... WTF I earn my downhill and not everyone rides lift access!! I had just rode Specialized, Scott and Mondraker with the same pedals/shoes and didn't have any issues. He said the 29er may give me more of an issue because it has shorter stays then the 27.5. The 29er comment didn't make sense to me cuz I thought the stays were longer by a few mm.

Overall it was a nice bike and at the price point you can't argue ... assuming it works for you. I like the components on the Canyon better. Canyon is still at the top of my list and YT or deal off of Craigslist are my backups.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Interesting! Sounds like they're not putting a lot of resources into their demos--that's too bad.