I have an XTR shifter/XT derailleur. Worth swapping out SLX on the 2018 Jeffsy AL?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

I have an XTR shifter/XT derailleur. Worth swapping out SLX on the 2018 Jeffsy AL?

I recently upgraded my cannondale with a Shimano XTR rear shifter and XT derailleur.

Shimano XTR M9000 11 Speed Trigger Shifter Rear | Chain Reaction Cycles

And the Shimano M8000 11 speed, medium cage derailleur:

Shimano XT M8000 Shadow+ 11 Speed Rear Mech | Chain Reaction Cycles

Would these be an upgrade if I swapped them to the Jeffsy Al I have on order? I could then put the STX on my cannondale for commuting duties. They're only a few months old and have just a few rides on them.

Or not mess with it and run the STX that comes with with the Jeffsy?
    Last edited by zimm; 02-09-2018 at 06:02 AM.
    2018 YT Jeffsy AL 29
    2005 Felt F75 (roadie)
    1993 Specialized Stumpjumper FS (bar hopper)

Danger Zone
    *SLX, not STX.

And yes, technically it's an upgrade so you could swap them out just to say "oh look at my XT/XTR setup". But as far as performance goes you likely won't notice a difference. SLX has come a long way and the performance is virtually the same.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Ha, you caught me. I am old. Was thinking it was that crap STX that was below LX.

I'm just going to try the SLX and see how it does. My XT/XTR isn't behaving right after doing a 1x11 swap. The chain randomly pops when pedaling, and no amount of adjustment has solved it yet.
    2018 YT Jeffsy AL 29
    2005 Felt F75 (roadie)

mtbr member
    XT and XTR shifters have the instant and multi-release features which SLX does not (or at least didn't in the 10s variety), that's more than cosmetic/bling. That's just the shifter, the derailleur there's nothing you'd notice. I'm not sure it would be worth spending money on the instant/multi release but if you already have the parts, why not?

The chain randomly poppling under load, and no amount of adjustment resolving it, that's most likely a chain or cassette that's worn and not the shifter or derailleur.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Interesting. The chain is a new XTR wide/narrow. new cassette, new front ring. Did the whole 1x11 conversion from chainreaction. The cassette did fall apart as I was installing, maybe I didn't get the sprockets oriented correctly? I lined up the holes and numbers in a row... hmmm, topic for a different thread I guess.

2018 YT Jeffsy AL 29
    2005 Felt F75 (roadie)

mtbr member
    Too long chain/ Too much slack?

Also, I believe cassette can be installed only in one orientation. On of the grooves is wider than others.
    More you beef it up, more it will handle like a cow....:skep:

mtbr member
    Sprockets can only go on one way so you have it right. Assuming you follow Shimano's instructions for setting the upper and lower stops correctly and then get the barrel adjustment correct (takes some time to stretch the shifter cable so don't expect perfect shifting for a couple rides). The biggest culprit I always see when I fix these is that owners adjust the B-tension without sagging the bike to proper sag (if full suspension). B-tension is CRITICAL for these 1X drivetrains. Let the air out of the rear shock and sag to 20-30% (or whatever the manufacturer recommends) and THEN adjust the B-tension.

And we have a saying around here.... anyone who says XTR is just bling and no difference in shifting performance simply cannot afford XTR.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!