Has anyone compared a Jeffsy 29 to a Rocky Mountain Instinct?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Has anyone compared a Jeffsy 29 to a Rocky Mountain Instinct?

I'm considering buying both of these bikes used. The Jeffsy I might be able to test ride. The Instinct would be an internet exchange.

They're both 140/140 so they're in a similar bucket. One key I'm interested in is differences in the rear suspension. Is one more plush? Have more anti-squat? I want something that will be comfortable through rock gardens at medium speed. I don't need it to be a racing bike (I have a 100mm travel bike for that) but I do a lot of rocky climbing and performance there is important.

The sizing is also a concern. The geometry of the two bikes appears similar except the Instinct is a bit slacker, longer wheelbase, and longer front center. I'm 6'0" so I'm at the top end of the Large in both frames. The Jeffsy would have about 10mm less cockpit space which is troubling. And it's front wheel would be a good 30cm closer to my pedals. The Impact would give me more room for error while descending, but possibly to long and truck like?

I believe I can put a DPX2 on the Instinct if I want to improve the rear shock. This can't be one on the Jeffsy right?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I would be interested in this comparison also. Looking at the Instinct BC edition and comparing it to the Jeffsy 29 CF Pro Race.

mtbr member
    I've had limited time on both. Basically one demo lap on a bike park trail. So easy, smooth climb and flow singletrack down.

They're both pretty similar though I felt Jeffsy's pedaling was a little bit snappier. All in all, I think I side with YT for the price and better geo (longer reach, more seat angle for my size).