Does YT's Jeffsy (29ers) really climb as good as they say?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Does YT's Jeffsy (29ers) really climb as good as they say?

I am looking for my first FS bike, and have been focusing on shorter travel 29ers. With that being said, I can't ignore the value offered by YT's Jeffsy.

My local trails have lots of climbs, single-track and more climbs

I don't want to overbike.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I'm in because i've been wondering the same thing. Trying to decide between a fuel ex 8, or a jeffsy AL.

Keep on Rockin...
    On paper looks to be a great all-around bike and should climb quite well. I place a premium on a bike's climbing ability, and I'd buy that bike pretty fast if I needed a full build.

29" wheels do climb a bit better. That bike's geo looks good for climbing. Suspension - has what it needs to climb well (might have to use the climb switch if really steep). Travel - not too much, so good there. Tires - the rear tire might be overkill, though depends on what they spec.

Aside from maybe the rear tire there is nothing on that bike that should hold anyone back from climbing well. Looks like the "quintessential" trail bike. Again, on paper, you'd be splitting hairs comparing it to the climbing abilities of other 29er trail bikes. Not sure there is one out there that does not climb well. Not XC race bike well, but on a techy trail, pretty darn close.

If you don't climb well on that bike, it's the motor, not the bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I took mine out for the first time yesterday and it appeared to climb well. I hit a portion of new single track trail I havent rode before and I had to hike a bike because the front wheel was popping up on me. I was a little frustrated at that point but then after getting home I saw that it was about 28 percent grade!!!! Most of my every day climbs were perfect though on the new bike. I am hitting China Camp on Friday so I will update after that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    It climbs very well. I got the 29 AL Two and was afraid I'd need a shock with a lockout but that wasn't the case at all.

mtbr member
    I don't need much travel and prefer the playfulness of shorter travel bikes.
    Due to the value of YT bikes, I am willing to over-bike...only if it climbs well.

Thanks for the replies.

Danger Zone
    Can't speak highly enough of my Jeffsy. It's just so much fun compared to my Specialized Enduro. My Enduro is overbiked for most things, the Jeffsy isn't. It's the right bike for 95% of what I do. I've never touched the lockout for climbing; no need to. If you can't climb it don't blame the bike, blame yourself.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    On paper looks to be a great all-around bike and should climb quite well. I place a premium on a bike's climbing ability, and I'd buy that bike pretty fast if I needed a full build.

29" wheels do climb a bit better. That bike's geo looks good for climbing. Suspension - has what it needs to climb well (might have to use the climb switch if really steep). Travel - not too much, so good there. Tires - the rear tire might be overkill, though depends on what they spec.

Aside from maybe the rear tire there is nothing on that bike that should hold anyone back from climbing well. Looks like the "quintessential" trail bike. Again, on paper, you'd be splitting hairs comparing it to the climbing abilities of other 29er trail bikes. Not sure there is one out there that does not climb well. Not XC race bike well, but on a techy trail, pretty darn close.

If you don't climb well on that bike, it's the motor, not the bike.
    Miker J... you talkin yourself into one bro? I'm right there with ya!

Have FUN!

G
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Have been reading that Jeffsy's are becoming common place at XC races.
    Sounds like they climb well

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeGee68 View Post
    I took mine out for the first time yesterday and it appeared to climb well. I hit a portion of new single track trail I havent rode before and I had to hike a bike because the front wheel was popping up on me. I was a little frustrated at that point but then after getting home I saw that it was about 28 percent grade!!!! Most of my every day climbs were perfect though on the new bike. I am hitting China Camp on Friday so I will update after that.
    i ride CC quite a few times. id be curious how the jeffsy handles the tighter switchback
    im sure it will slay the backside. which jeffsy build? im seriously considering one

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I think if you're looking for a blazing fast XC bike, the Jeffsy might not be what you're looking for--at least not in the aluminum version. A lot of bikes now can do it all (I did a couple of XC races on my v3 Nomad, for example) but if your thing is pure speed and the lightest weight then you may be better off with something else.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matadorCE View Post
    I think if you're looking for a blazing fast XC bike, the Jeffsy might not be what you're looking for--at least not in the aluminum version. A lot of bikes now can do it all (I did a couple of XC races on my v3 Nomad, for example) but if your thing is pure speed and the lightest weight then you may be better off with something else.
    Not looking for a blazing fast bike, and my next bike will be made from Aluminum.

Just looking for a Fun bike for my local trails

Originally I was focusing on a Fuel EX.
    Then one day I demo'd an older Specialized Epic, and was surprised how well it performed.
    I would have bought it, if it wasn't for the OG 26ers and Troublesome nitrogen rear brain (shock).

This turned my attention towards newer XC bikes, the trek Top Fuel.

As you know, the newer XC bikes can do smaller rowdy trails
    For my local trails, the suspension provided from a top fuel would be adequate.
    Maybe one day swap the step-cast for a 120 fox34 and call it good.

It seems YTs 29er is an an efficient climber, and carries it's weight well (30lbs).
    It is more travel then I need, but wondering If I can live with 140.

The other concern already brought up by @digifun is the wheelbase.
    How will the 20" increase in wheelbase affect my single-track and switchbacks?

mtbr member
    I got 29CF1 in November 2017. It climbs very well, but I feel like I want little lower gearing.
    Climbing over the rocks or roots, sometime there is not enough gearing to get over the obstacle on the way up.
    My 2x10 giant had easier gearing and I'm used to that. So I'm switching stock 32 with Absolute Black 30. That should give me enough gearing for any climb.

Overall, Jeffsy is an awesome bike!
    More you beef it up, more it will handle like a cow....:skep:

mtbr member
    You posted while I was typing. I feel like 140 sus is plenty. Specially that rear end is very progressive, and I added air volume spacers to the fork, to increase progressiveness too.

When doing 3-4 ft drops, it feels like riding off the curb compared to my 120mm Giant Stance. It almost feels like landing in the dune. Fist is nice an soft, and than deeper you get into travel, the slower it compresses. This bike can do anything I'm gonna take it through ...

And yes, it is light, and it feels light. It pops easily, is easy to do wheelie, or manual, or pump.

However, I can feel increased wheelbase. Mind you I went from 27.5. Stance. And I ride Jeffsy in low position. If you switch to high, it feels little bit more agile, but I was getting more arm pump this way. So I like low.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies.
    They are all appreciated...honest

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Ive had my 2018 pro race for about 3 weeks. Put about 120 miles and maybe 25,000 feet on it. Climbs beautifully. If you have a lot of steep technical climbs the 32 tooth up front may be a little big. I put a 30 tooth absolute black oval on it and now it is perfect. I was considering the ripley LS which is the gold standard for climbing short travel 29er for me. I went Jeffsy and have no regrets. Love it and the extra travel compared to the ripley.
    2018 YT Jeffsy 29 CF Pro Race

mtbr member
    A 30T would also be welcomed in my neighborhood...especially since mine will most likely be Aluminum

Thanks Brett

banned
    Apr 2006
    the front wheel was popping up on me
    425mm reach doesn't help with that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeGee68 View Post
    I hit a portion of new single track trail I havent rode before and I had to hike a bike because the front wheel was popping up on me. I was a little frustrated at that point but then after getting home I saw that it was about 28 percent grade!!!!
    How tall are you, and what size Jefffsy did you get?

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_manny View Post
    How tall are you, and what size Jefffsy did you get?
    I am 6'1 and I purchased a Large. So far other then the 150 mm dropper post, the bike rides great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Is the 150mm post too long for you?
    Im 61 33.5 inseam and leaning towards the XL but am scared the dropper will be too long.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by 3JRide View Post
    Is the 150mm post too long for you?
    Im 61 33.5 inseam and leaning towards the XL but am scared the dropper will be too long.
    Yes the post is too long but just barely the E*thirteen has 4 settings and I just lowered it to the second from the top and it worked fine. As fully extended it is not too bad either, I just need it about 1/2 in lower to be perfect.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    An update to how the new Jeffsy 29 climbed. As a regular visitor to China Camp on my hardtail 29, the technical climb was never too steep but constantly caught my front tire popping up if I hit a root or rock.

I took the Jeffsy out on Friday and all I can say was the climb was amazing. I picked the same lines as usually but when I got off line and had to climb/roll over big roots or ruts, it took it like it was nothing.

I was very impressed with the first few rides.

I must admit, there are a lot of things I have to get used to like the wider bars and the different geometry and since this is my first FS I am also learning the adding and removing air to my shocks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    My impressions on the '18 Jeffsy's CF Pro climbing ability - this is coming from someone who's been riding Santa Cruz VPP bikes for years.

My first immediate impression was wow there's a lot of pedal bob when sprinting out of the saddle. Hard standing sprinting just feels sluggish compared to bikes that have more anti-squat. On the other hand, pedaling while sitting feels fine and more comfortable going over roots/rocks than the VPP bikes. I find myself having to flip into Trail mode on the shock pretty much on any climb. Also running a little less sag, ~25% vs the recommended 30% helps.

Overall, its not a huge negative if you work around it. I've actually set a bunch of PRs on climbs where I could swear I was much slower than normal which I think is due to the wider gearing range of the TRS+ cassette keeping me in my optimal cadence.

I still need to dial in the suspension as I've only done a couple of rides but I've been pleasantly surprised so far - this bike rocks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Interesting. I've also ride VPP bikes and I didn't feel the Jeffsy that sluggish; matter of fact I felt it about the same as a Hightower LT that I demoed recently. Maybe shock and tune/setup? I didn't feel a lot of bob on the Monarch R that came on my '17 and I switched to a Cane Creek DB IL and the pedal bob is easy to dial out. I will agree that it doesn't feel quite as firm while standing on the pedals but it also feels better through rough terrain for that same reason IMO.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by matadorCE View Post
    Interesting. I've also ride VPP bikes and I didn't feel the Jeffsy that sluggish; matter of fact I felt it about the same as a Hightower LT that I demoed recently. Maybe shock and tune/setup? I didn't feel a lot of bob on the Monarch R that came on my '17 and I switched to a Cane Creek DB IL and the pedal bob is easy to dial out. I will agree that it doesn't feel quite as firm while standing on the pedals but it also feels better through rough terrain for that same reason IMO.

Someone's done a nice analysis and has the anti-squat pct for Jeffsy and Hightower here:
    https://youtu.be/J1OrxmEQK4g?t=38
    https://youtu.be/23SaezKikDw?t=28

Its roughly 80% AS for the Jeffsy and 100% for the Hightower. Not perfect apples to apples comparison but close enough. I can definitely feel that difference. It can be dialed out a little bit like you said and the savings over a Santa Cruz frame more than offsets that

BigSki
    Jan 2014
    What did you end up with? I'm also looking at the Fuel EX8, the Jeffsy,and Rocky Mtn. Instinct Alloy70--appreciate any feedback. Curious about the YT experience...all mail order? Good customer service?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    YT is all mail order yes. I didn't have to interact with them other than placing my order and waiting for delivery, which was prompt and on time.
    I think it climbs great, and agree with others who say if you stand up and hammer it bobs, but seated it pedals very well and sucks up large bumps like they aren't there. This doesn't stop me from standing and pedaling say on a very steep section, and it works fine for that even if it's bobbing. In fact the movement of the suspension under load surely makes for better traction on the steeps. I leave it in full squish mode. So you could dial some of it out I am sure if it bothers you, but it doesn't bother me. The progressiveness of the suspension is awesome in my opinion because when you want the bike to feel firmer and responsive it does but it will still activate on sharper hits just like I want it to.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have the AL. The 3 position on the Fox shock make a big difference. Wide open, you get a lot of bob out of the saddle. Even pedaling my kids to school down the sidewalk, it bobs a bit. Middle setting takes that out. Firm setting feels like a lock out with pressure relief- it's FIRM. Don't think you need a lock out.

I'm going to try the 30t front. I'm getting stopped on some very steep, short sections on the trail. It's probably because I'm such a slow rider. Plus I don't need top gear, if I'm going downhill (in Florida, that's a very short distance!), I coast and don't bother upshifting.

Since you guys mentioned the 150mm dropper- it comes even on the medium frame. It was too tall for me. I swapped out for a revive. It sucks to drop another $400 on the bike. If it was spec'd with a shorter post, I could have gone with a AL comp for the price of the upgrade.
    2018 YT Jeffsy AL 29
    2005 Felt F75 (roadie)
    1993 Specialized Stumpjumper FS (bar hopper)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
    What did you end up with? I'm also looking at the Fuel EX8, the Jeffsy,and Rocky Mtn. Instinct Alloy70--appreciate any feedback. Curious about the YT experience...all mail order? Good customer service?
    I can only say good things about YT customer service.
    Within first few weeks of owning the bike, my RF Turbine post wasn't holding it's position. Either up or down. RF issues are dealt with through YT. YT took care of it pretty fast.

Last weekend turned out that my rear axle reducer broke (E13 TRS wheels). YT said on these I should deal with e13 directly. About 5 hours after I emailed e13, and exchanged some information and pictures, e13 had brand new wheel with axle and freehub on the way to me.
    Just FYI, I didn't abuse the bike. Reducer broke at the groove for C clip. It had to be manufacturing issue. Very clean break. Plus e13 said, they're sending "new and updated" axle and reducer.

From my experience so far, it sure takes a little longer than dealing with local bike shop(maybe 2-3 days), but they are very good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    This thread is interesting. I'm really thinking if getting a Jeffsy, but I think I may not need all that travel for my local trails. Of course I still want the extra travel because in my mind I'll be tackiling the craziest trails (which I really won't be).

Right now I'm deciding between the Jeffsy or a 120mm bike (the little known Marin Rift Zone). Even though I want the Jeffsy, I have to wonder if the Rift Zone might be more suited to my trails (St. Louis).

Decisions are hard.

mtbr member
    I remember when I thought "I dont need all of that travel". I now have 150mm front and 135mm rear and it doesnt ride any different on our single track than it did at 120mm. Except for the plushness. Difficulty, peddling, climbing, its all the same.

This bike is awesome IMO. I wouldnt hesitate to buy one for myself. Just hate that they dont have a damn water bottle mount.

mtbr member
    They do. Kinda 😉
    Interesting thing about suspension. I have sag set properly. Stock setup on rear. 3 tokens in pike up front. I don't use full travel unless I screw up and do crappy landing on 3-4 ft drops. I like it though. Good to have something to spare