decision?- Mtbr.com

Thread: decision?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

decision?

debating between 2019 capra 29 al base versus 2019 jeffsy al 29? capra probably too much for now but like capabilities. looking for thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    bump

mtbr member
    Regail us with your riding and style and what you like the most to do on a bike.

That should dictate the type of bike you select.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    in North Carolina so lots of good places, I ride trails, nothing big. I am a clyde at 260 so figured capra may be better suited. coming off a 2011 specialized stumpy fsr so ready for some new stuff

mtbr member
    For a start i have not ridden either bike. So my advice is considering the difference between components and suspension.

So... For your weight the capra has more robust components. EG Lyric instead of 34 float. Wheel set appears to be the same which wont add to any robustness.
    It will be slight worse uphill and better down. That frame will most likely be stiffer.

Jeffsy will be easier to pedal up hill, it is 700gm lighter has less suspension. The expense to that climbing performance will be flex and descending performance.

The question you need to ask your self. What will give you the most grins/pain. Do want the best climber to assist you to get to the top of the hill easier? and then cruze the downs or do you want to sacrifice the climb, spend a bit more time pedalling up to bomb down the other side with a massive grin on your face?

For me the answer is simple. Sacrifice the climb, bomb the hill. But I am light and fit so I can ride the climb faster than most of my buddies anyway.

Side note. The more you save and spend to get up the next level of bike spec the better off you are. Amusingly the very top spec Jeffsy and Capra add another 10mm of travel. Maybe the full fruit 150mm jeffsy is the wholy grail for you?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by lawnbike View Post
    debating between 2019 capra 29 al base versus 2019 jeffsy al 29? capra probably too much for now but like capabilities. looking for thoughts?
    Similar situation for me (but with different bikes) in the end I went with the bike that I would ride and enjoy more often immediately. Down the road, I could always sell and get into something else (whatever that may be)

This is just what I did and my thought process. Hope this helps.

Enjoy the ride!