Creaking headset- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Creaking headset

I have a new to me Jeffsy 29 CF Pro Race. The headset was making a creaking noise when turning past about 30 degrees left or right. I dropped the fork and took out the bearings. The top bearing was buttery smooth. But the bottom bearing had rust/dirt/ junk all over it. It took some work to get it out of the bottom of the frame. But after getting it out and cleaning the bearing, it was not so "buttery". Some rough spots in the rotation. I lubed it, placed it back in there and it got rid of the creak. But i am concerned with the condition of the bearing. Its an Acros headset. Any ideas on upgrading/ replacing the bearings? I know Chris King just came out with a headset, but not sure I want to spend whatever it will be to use a King headeset. I will try and post pics of the lower bearing. Creaking headset-img_9643.jpgCreaking headset-img_9640.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Why not just replace the bearing?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Sorry, I don't think I was clear haha. I am very new to these bikes, and my last bike was an 11 year old Giant. I plan on replacing the bearings. Just wanted to see what the options are. Is it just replace the bearings and call it good? Or should I look at "upgraded" bearings or a full headset. I come from the days of pressed in cups and different headsets. These seem like there is pretty much nothing to it. Just 2 bearings and thats pretty much it. Its an Acros headset if that maters.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Also, where can I get the bearings? I have googled it, looked at Jenson and Cambria, but not sure where to get them. Found a guy on eBay, but they are out of office until later this month. Any ideas? Anyone buy replacement bearings?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyrmedic510 View Post
    Also, where can I get the bearings? I have googled it, looked at Jenson and Cambria, but not sure where to get them. Found a guy on eBay, but they are out of office until later this month. Any ideas? Anyone buy replacement bearings?
    your local bike shop probably has a few in the back... bring the old one with you and ask...

mtbr member
    So, outside of my top bearing looked similar to yours after about 8 months, But no creaks. I cleaned and greased the outside to protect from more water and corrosion. ('17 Jeffsy CF1)

If you want to look for headset bearings, start here:
    https://blue.canecreek.com/headset-fit-finder

This will help you find what headset you have.
    Forty - Cane Creek Cycling Components

Also, I think specs for our bikes on YT website tell you what kind of headset it is:
    Acccording to YT specs mine is:
    IS 42/28.6
    IS 52/40

IS stands for integrated headset
    Numbers are basically dimensions of inside and outside part.

Keep in mind, Alu Jeffsy has ZS headset (Zero Stack)

Also, you can just submit ticket with YT support with questions, they should get back to you pretty quick. Than you'll know answer first hand.
    More you beef it up, more it will handle like a cow....:skep:

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    ^Thanks so much!

I decided to contact YT and am waiting for a reply. As I said before, this bike is new to me and I am still learning. I would call myself a decent home mechanic, and have no problem working on bikes. I found some Enduro brand bearings that seem like they are the right size. I was thinking since there are no pressed in cups, that each bike has a specific size of bearing. And that each brand had its own size. But it seems like most bikes use the standard 52/40 lower bearing. I am going to wait for confirmation from YT then buy one.

Ill update when I get a reply from YT in case someone has any headset issues in the future.

mtbr member
    Keep me posted. Iím curious. Came creek tells me one one of the dimensions is 41. . YT says 42.
    I havenít measured it yet though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    From YT, they said these are the bearings:

IS42 28.6mm
    IS52 40.mm

I have found a Cane Creek headset with these dimensions. Pretty sure I found an Enduro bearing for the lower, but not sure if I found the right upper bearing. I just need the lower bearing right now. Ill order one when I get a chance and update.

mtbr member
    Cool. Glad you got the answer.
    By the way. Did you need any tool to remove headset bearings?
    In my CF 1 I have IS bearings. I was able to push them out with my fingers.

In friends AL1 he has ZS bearings. They are very tight. Tool is needed to remove them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobiemario View Post
    Cool. Glad you got the answer.
    By the way. Did you need any tool to remove headset bearings?
    In my CF 1 I have IS bearings. I was able to push them out with my fingers.

In friends AL1 he has ZS bearings. They are very tight. Tool is needed to remove them.
    No not really. The top bearing came out super easy. The bottom bearing needed some work. As you can see in the picture, the outer race is corroded/ rusted. There was a good amount of muck on the bottom side of the bearing also. So I cleaned it pretty good, and used a small flat blade screwdriver to gently ease the bearing out. I never touched the frame with the screwdriver and just tried to loosen it then was able to remove by hand. I degreased it, and then re greased it. It is not creaking and feels rather smooth. So I know it needs to be replaced but I am still riding the bike