Couple of questions for Jeffsy owners- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Couple of questions for Jeffsy owners

Hi

I am eyeing the Jeffsy 29 (although 27 is a candidate as well) and was curious about a couple details from current owners:

1. Just looking at the bike in pics, it almost looks like there is slightly limited range for a dropper - having a large dropper range is an important feature for me - right now on my RM Altitude I use 100% of my 170 mm dropper with the post totally inserted and I am only 5'9" with 30" inseam, and on my Yelli Screamy I could actually use more than 170 mm if I had a longer range - I have been on bikes that have really limited range either b/c the seat post cannot be inserted far enough or the top just sits too high w/in the frame - can anybody comment on this for either 27 or 29? (they look like they would have similar range)

2. How good of a climber do you think it is for longer slug-it-out fire road climbs?

3. I notice it appears not to have ISCG tabs? I ride in very chunky terrain very often and protection is essential. How do you protect your chain ring w/ a 1x setup?

Thanks a lot for your input!

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    So I ran a 170mm post as well on my V3 nomad. My plan was to transfer that to my jeffsy 29. Once I established my seatpost position in relation to the cockpit I realized that with the 170 it probably would not fit as it would be slammed and may even be too high now. The 150 feels like I can get still get plenty behind the bike on the steeps and the bigger wheels help since it rolls over stuff way better.

I did pickup a 32mm turbine stem to help with the longer reach for me. I'm 5'8"

I recently did a 100mile mtn bike ride covering 3 mountain ranges and all streets in between here in PHX and this bike was perfect for the roads and long slogs uphill. Only downside is the E13 wheels are not the best.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    So I ran a 170mm post as well on my V3 nomad. My plan was to transfer that to my jeffsy 29. Once I established my seatpost position in relation to the cockpit I realized that with the 170 it probably would not fit as it would be slammed and may even be too high now. The 150 feels like I can get still get plenty behind the bike on the steeps and the bigger wheels help since it rolls over stuff way better.

I did pickup a 32mm turbine stem to help with the longer reach for me. I'm 5'8"

I recently did a 100mile mtn bike ride covering 3 mountain ranges and all streets in between here in PHX and this bike was perfect for the roads and long slogs uphill. Only downside is the E13 wheels are not the best.
    Thanks a lot for the great feedback - very helpful - it's funny I have heard such mixed reviews on those E13 wheels - some people seem to love them and others not so much

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    The Jeffsy 27 has ISCG tabs the Jeffsy 29 doesn't.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    Thanks a lot for the great feedback - very helpful - it's funny I have heard such mixed reviews on those E13 wheels - some people seem to love them and others not so much
    Sorry, my response was kind of all over the place. The one thing I noticed specific to the wheelset was the front hub had a lot of stiction. Tried a little grease and even took to my lbs to see if they could see anything odd. They said just ride it and it should free up on its own.

Quick update though. I did a really steep section of trail that i hadn't done on the jeffsy 29 yesterday but I had done numerous times on my nomad. Not only did I feel more stable which carried over to more confidence but the seatpost height was a none issue.

Some upgrades I did: saint brakes, the 32mm turbine stem, and biggest improvement 150mm pike up front which when I checked on my angle app put me right at 66 degree head angle.

mtbr member
    Thanks again - good feedback!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I don't know what size you ordered, but for me on a large with a 32 inch inseam the 150 dropper is too long. At full height the distance BB to saddle top is 29 inches, where I am looking for around 28. This is with it all the way into the seat tube.
    Edit to add for accuracy. I measured 28 3/4 inches on a large frame with the 150mil raceface dropper and the stock seat at full extension with the post as low as it will go.
    Measured center of bb to top of seat in line with post.
    Last edited by Len Baird; 12-12-2017 at 08:45 AM.

> 55
    Aug 2014
    The xl jeffsy 29 is back in stock on the us website. Current owners:

What size tires (width) are you running? Is there plenty of clearance?

Comes with 29 x 2.4 but the stock rims are a bit narrow if i recall.

If I buy one, want to make sure there is room for 2.5/2.6 on a wider rim.

Thanks in advance. Gerry

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I can get a picture with a yardstick for you to see. I am still using the stock tires which are fine, and when they wear out I will most likely try a 2.6. 2.5 looks like it would be fine. I am hopeful a 2.6 will be, but any bigger is a no go I'd say for sure. I think the stock rims are 24mm inner diameter on mine.
    I found myself browsing LB website for a carbon wheelset just like you're thinking :P

> 55
    Aug 2014
    Thanks Len. Thats helps. I am 220 lbs or so with gear and tend to brake stuff....as the wheelset wears out, want to make sure a wider tire works.

I can live with a few compromises on a bike at $1,950 plus shipping (and tax-live in CA).

Price is one of my check boxes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    On closer inspection it has more clearance than I originally thought. About 2.75 inches across at the Onza 2.4 widest point and 3/8 to the edge of the tire.
    It was a little bit of a juggling act and the light is bad sorry. I had it slightly misaligned at the zero point too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Couple of questions for Jeffsy owners-jeffsy-clearance.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Len Baird View Post
    I don't know what size you ordered, but for me on a large with a 32 inch inseam the 150 dropper is too long. At full height the distance BB to saddle top is 29 inches, where I am looking for around 28. This is with it all the way into the seat tube.
    Edit to add for accuracy. I measured 28 3/4 inches on a large frame with the 150mil raceface dropper and the stock seat at full extension with the post as low as it will go.
    Measured center of bb to top of seat in line with post.
    I just got mine yesterday(size L), and I feel the same. I'm 5.11, 32 inseam.And 220lbs if that matters.
    It would be nice if fully extended dropper was lets say: 1 inch lower.

I'm wondering. would it be crazy idea to actually cut the seat tube? I know it is CF, people cut their bars.
    More you beef it up, more it will handle like a cow....:skep:

> 55
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Len Baird View Post
    On closer inspection it has more clearance than I originally thought. About 2.75 inches across at the Onza 2.4 widest point and 3/8 to the edge of the tire.
    Thanks Len. Very helpful for future rims/tires.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobiemario View Post
    It would be nice if fully extended dropper was lets say: 1 inch lower.
    A 125mm post is about that. Since I only need 3/4 of an inch I am thinking of stuff like a saddle that rides 3/4 inch lower on the rails... Shoe insoles with some rise... etc.
    I am same height as you and we are at the low end of the range for a large I guess. It's a bummer but it isn't a huge problem for me since it's easy enough to just drop the saddle a bit. But I will definitely sort it out eventually so I can pop the seat right to bang on peddling height when I want without having to fuss with it.
    I don't see any way to cut it without destroying the dropper. I did have a thought about if there was a way to shim it to prevent it from fully extending. I think I need around a 130mm dropper :P

mtbr member
    Yeah. I don't need much. Perhaps there is a saddle that's low profile out there?

By cutting it I meant cut the frame. Not the seatpost. So seatpost can be inserted deeper.
    I'd imagine with alu frame it would be somewhat less risky than with CF

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    Sorry, my response was kind of all over the place. The one thing I noticed specific to the wheelset was the front hub had a lot of stiction. Tried a little grease and even took to my lbs to see if they could see anything odd. They said just ride it and it should free up on its own.

Quick update though. I did a really steep section of trail that i hadn't done on the jeffsy 29 yesterday but I had done numerous times on my nomad. Not only did I feel more stable which carried over to more confidence but the seatpost height was a none issue.

Some upgrades I did: saint brakes, the 32mm turbine stem, and biggest improvement 150mm pike up front which when I checked on my angle app put me right at 66 degree head angle.
    Regarding the E13 front wheel hub... I recently purchased a Capra CF and my E13 front hub also had a lot of stiction. I tried grease as well but nothing worked. I emailed E13 a video and they confirmed something was wrong. They paid to have the rim shipped back to their office and told me both my front wheel bearings were bad so they replaced them and Im waiting to get the rim shipped back. This was a brand new bike with a handful of rides. I would definitely contact E13

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by TMO8853 View Post
    Regarding the E13 front wheel hub... I recently purchased a Capra CF and my E13 front hub also had a lot of stiction. I tried grease as well but nothing worked. I emailed E13 a video and they confirmed something was wrong. They paid to have the rim shipped back to their office and told me both my front wheel bearings were bad so they replaced them and Im waiting to get the rim shipped back. This was a brand new bike with a handful of rides. I would definitely contact E13
    Just saw your post! Awesome, thank you...definitely appreciated. I will probably just take it to my buddy at the lbs to avoid the shipping delay but at least I know that others had the same issue.