Cosmetic or Worse - 2017 Capra CF Seat stay?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Cosmetic or Worse - 2017 Capra CF Seat stay?

I just got a new to me 2017 Capra CF 275 and after only one ride, I love it. However, I found an issue and am wondering if itís merely cosmetic or if itís more serious and requires further action.

The outside of the RH chainstay has a crack in the paint that is directly outboard of the mount point with the forward link. I am wondering if this cracked paint is an indication of damage of the underlying seat stay.

I sent an email to YT for an answer but Iím also asking here to get the straight dope from the tribe.

Also, this paint 'blemish' was hidden under a sticker. I removed the sticker and found the cracked paint. So if the problem is more than cosmetic, I may have to file a claim against the seller.

Thanks!Cosmetic or Worse - 2017 Capra CF Seat stay?-img_0684.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    51% smartass, 49% dumbass

Instagram: _parkmeister

mtbr member
    my temporary band aid repair

Cosmetic or Worse - 2017 Capra CF Seat stay?-band-aid.jpg

mtbr member
    Got an email reply from YT support and just had a chat with them over the phone. From the pic, he gave it a thumbs down.

I now have to decide whether to 1) replace it ($399), 2) have it repaired professionally, 3) attempt a DIY repair, or 4) just ride it as is and monitor the situation.

I also need to contact the seller, but I'm not pointing any fingers or laying blame for now.

After only two rides so far, I gotta say, this bike f*cking rocks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Youíre being really nice. Hiding that under a sticker and not disclosing it is total BS for the seller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    you have a photo with the sticker?
    Seems like a strange spot for the sticker and was this the only sticker on the bike? Seems like it was intentional to conceal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZmuchacho View Post
    you have a photo with the sticker?
    Seems like a strange spot for the sticker and was this the only sticker on the bike? Seems like it was intentional to conceal.
    That little YT sticker was on both the LH and RH seatstays for symmetry although the paint was only cracked on the RH side. That sticker was covered by invisiframe protective film which looks like it was applied a long time ago. That's why I think the sticker was placed there for cosmetics as opposed to hiding a structural defect.

Cosmetic or Worse - 2017 Capra CF Seat stay?-4e20c894-80bc-4099-81b2-b932f5588bb0.jpg

I'm gonna monitor the area for play, and applied some torque putty to help detect any movement of the insert.

Cosmetic or Worse - 2017 Capra CF Seat stay?-e7169ae4-5ac8-4784-99fc-59f47f6ab6de.jpeg

I'm fairly sure the seat stay is structurally sound, so it's time to go for a ride!