climb?- Mtbr.com

Thread: climb?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

climb?

I usually sit and spin on long climbs. how will the jeffsy 27 perform?

mtbr member
    Have you seen the outdoorgearlab review?

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/revie...l-comp-27-2018

looks like one of the better comprehensive reviews out there...

Spoiler: the 29er jeffsy is a better climber

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    outdoorgearlab has the most critical review of the jeffsy that I've found on the web. They really harp on how harsh the rear suspension is with the positive progression. Coming off a 2008 cannondale with 110mm of travel I think it's like butter.

Sit and spin- not an issue if you flip the shock and fork to "firm". I get a lot of bounce in "open" and only a tiny bit of noticeable bob in medium. Depends on the spec though- I'm on the base AL.

On the 29, I dropped to a oval 30t up front. Not sure how the gearing is on the 27.5.

A more favorable review: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/yt-jef...irst-ride.html

That was last year's model. More upgrades on '18's.
    2018 YT Jeffsy AL 29
    2005 Felt F75 (roadie)
    1993 Specialized Stumpjumper FS (bar hopper)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zimm View Post
    outdoorgearlab has the most critical review of the jeffsy that I've found on the web. They really harp on how harsh the rear suspension is with the positive progression. Coming off a 2008 cannondale with 110mm of travel I think it's like butter.
    You have the base AL model and the suspension is like butter to you? I know you said by comparison, but that's quite positive.

I have to admit, I'm really impressed with the spec to price on the AL. It's jaw dropping really, an even greater deal than the carbons. But I envision a noticeably harsher ride, just like everything else that's all aluminum is. Have you compared your bike to a lower end carbon, or similar AL bikes?

If you break it all down, the wheels don't have the greatest review on the AL, but that's about it. The Outdoor Gear Lab review seems like they were expecting the bike to ride like a bike double it's cost. It's unquestionably the most critical review of any YT bike on the entire web. Granted, the CF is a much higher model, but MBR gave it their Bike of the Year award for example. In fact, just Google reviews for the bike, almost everything is extremely high praise at every level.

Oh, and the prices dropped for 2018 as well.

YT Industries Jeffsy CF Pro 29 (2017) review - MBR

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    When I was first thinking about getting a Jeffsy 29, I read the Outdoorgearlab review and had a lot of hesitation--specially since they commented how harsh it was on rock gardens. Now that I have the bike and have ridden it on various types of terrains, I can safely say that I have no idea what they're talking about. The suspension feels more active and plusher on repeated small hits than my v3 Nomad with a Fox X2 shock.

mtbr member
    I remember outdoorgearlab mentioned that they received Medium YTs, instead of Large.
    Might have something to do with the results...

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I have to be honest, I'm a little puzzled by the Outdoorgearlab review as well. I bought a '17 Jeffsy 27 in November and mostly ride in Pisgah, an area known for sustained rocky/rooty trails.

The Pike up front is a phenomenal fork, it's buttery smooth, small bump compliance and its ability to take big hits are outstanding. Perhaps this is the issue, the Deluxe is a good shock, but it doesn't feel as supple as the Pike when rolling slowly through rough terrain. However, let the bike rip and I seriously doubt that you will spend a second thinking about the shock.

As another poster mentioned, the wheels that came on the 2017 AL One model are a bit lame compared to the rest of the spec, I just put an order in for a set of I9 Enduro 305s to remedy this.

Back to the OP, I tend to do the same on climbs, I'm not out there to smash the climbs, and don't really have any issues with the Jeffsy at all. I imagine that the added range available on the e*thirteen casette that comes on the 2018s will be beneficial too.

mtbr member
    I have a new 27 Jeffsy Pro. My other bike is a Banshee Rune.

1. The bike climbs really well, especially sit and spin. I keep the shock in the trail mode when I climb everything but paved roads. It's not an XC bike but it rides really well. Mine is the carbon version though with a light spec. So ease of climbing could be that the bike is 28.8lbs with HT T1 pedals.

2. My Jeffsy doesn't feel harsh. Progressive Yes, harsh No. I've taken it on some rocky terrain for it's initial shake down ride then took it out to a trail that has drops to flat, rocks, roots etc. Still doesn't feel harsh. I'm 180lbs and have the shock set to 190psi. My Float DPS shock didn't have the negative air chamber equalized so I could see that as causing a harsher ride. My recommendation if you get this bike would be to let all of the air out of the suspension and set it up from scratch using the RS or Fox set up guides. I come from riding a Rune with an X2. That bike is a rock eating machine. The Jeffsy isn't the Rune but it was surprisingly good over successive hard hits.

Overall its a great bike. Very playful.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_manny View Post
    I remember outdoorgearlab mentioned that they received Medium YTs, instead of Large.
    Might have something to do with the results...
    I don't know if that would matter since the suspension dynamics should be the same. I think the rear shock plays a big part so maybe some shocks play better with the Jeffsy than others.

mtbr member
    Reviewing a bike that doesn't have a good fit.
    Kinda like demoing a bike that isn't setup correctly...will influence your impression of the bike.