Capra Fox X2 Psi for heavy riders- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2018

Capra Fox X2 Psi for heavy riders

Hey, Iím close to pulling the trigger on a new XXL Cf Pro Race 29 but Iím concerned about the X2ís max 250psi rating and not being able to achieve correct sag. Any heavier guys on these bikes, what is your weight and what PSI are you running? How heavy of a rider will it accomodate at 250psi?

mtbr member
    Did you try contacting YT? I have a tues and YT leverage is so low I run a spring that's 200 lbs lighter. It's insane how progressive their bikes are.

My buddies Capra is also super progressive that he stays under the recommended air pressure for his shock (recommended by the manufacturer).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Bikes

2015 Transition Patrol AL
    2016 YT Tues AL

mtbr member
    May 2018
    I was going to but figured Iíd ask here first, figured there woukd be some first hand experience.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Camstyn View Post
    I was going to but figured Iíd ask here first, figured there woukd be some first hand experience.
    How much do you weigh? What kind of riding do you do? Biggest drops? Jumps?

Current Bikes

2016 YT Tues AL

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Iím 6í7 and 285lbs, but on my way back down to the 250 range. Iím just getting back into mountain biking, so I canít really say what kind of riding Iíll be doing, my last bike was a GT Zaskar LE about 15 years ago. Iím a motocross guy and buying the MTB for training mostly to help get back in shape and stay in shape, for racing and life in general.

Iím currently recovering from a big motocross crash from 2 months ago that left me with a brokwn neck, sternum, 5 ribs, punctured lung and a humerus that was broken and shattered at the shoulder socket. Iíll be off work for a long time to come because of the arm/shoulder, figured itís time for a mountain bike to use for fun and fitness.

Iím planning on just general trail use but I live in Kamloops BC so the possibilities are pretty wide open. I get my kicks going big on my dirt bikes, I busted myself up on a 100 footer, so weíll just have to see how much fun I have on the MTB. Iíll definitely be taking it easy in the near future until Iím out of the woods with my injuries, Iím mostly just concerned with getting the correct sag so that the geometry and suspension is performing as itís intended and not adversely.

Iím expecting this shock to be undersprung for my current weight but I would hope it will be fine when I get back down to my target weight.

mtbr member
    I think you'll be fine. I assume you're picking up used because the new x2s are rated up to 300 I believe.

You seem like you will progress along Mtb really quick with your Moro background. Capra will be an awesome rig when you need to pedal your way up but I imagine you'll get a bigger kick out of a bigger bike like the Tues.

Glad to hear you're ok. That sounds like a nasty crash.

Current Bikes

2016 YT Tues AL

mtbr member
    May 2018
    No itís a new one. Fox dropped the max PSI from 300 to 250 a couple years ago due to exploding shocks.

If I werenít primarily into moto Iím sure Iíd have a full blown DH bike to get my thrills on. The Tues looks bad ass. I need a bike for trail use though, with some bike park and descending capability in case I really start to enjoy it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I don't think the 250psi max X2 will work for you on the new Capra.

I'm about 235 full geared up and I am just barely able to get the sag to sit at about 32% on my new Capra. I run it at the 250psi max. I had to install 2 additional volume spacers (3 total) to get it to sit around the 30% mark, with only 1 I was saged to a out 38%.

I think the leverage ratio on the bike in the initial part of the sag really pushes the X2 to it's limit with a heavy rider.

There is a new version of the X2 coming out that has a revised 300psi max, that supposedly fixes the blowing up issue. Maybe you can sell the X2 that comes with the Capra and pick one of those up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Camstyn View Post
    No itís a new one. Fox dropped the max PSI from 300 to 250 a couple years ago due to exploding shocks.

If I werenít primarily into moto Iím sure Iíd have a full blown DH bike to get my thrills on. The Tues looks bad ass. I need a bike for trail use though, with some bike park and descending capability in case I really start to enjoy it.
    Understood. I'm 230 geared up and pretty much every shock I've ever had needed some kind of modification. That's why I stick with dvo products. Modifying it to my needs is quite easy compared to other companies.

I bet a jade on the Capra would ride awesome! It's transformed my Tues for sure.

Current Bikes

2016 YT Tues AL

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Re: howaminotme

Ok thanks for the info, I didnít think it would be that bad. What model do you have? Iím assuming the 27.5 with the longer shock is going to require less psi than the 29.

Ultimately yeah, sounds like a DHX2 coil shock or the new 2019 X2 would likely be necessary either way. The model I want, the 29 CF Pro Race at least has a common size shock (230x65mm) so should leave me with lots of options. The 27Ē model uses a 250x75mm which is a better linkage ratio for a guy my size but seems a little oddball, the shock might be hard to sell and less options to replace it with.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    So I bought the CF Pro 27.5, assembled it today. Iím getting 30% sag at 300psi. Weíll see how the shock handles it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Nice man! Congrats.

Sorry I didn't answer sooner, I have the 29 CF Pro Race. I think the 29 has a slightly higher leverage ratio than the 27. That's prob contributing to my issue.

I just got back from a Moab trip and actual became a bigger fan of the X2. Even though I am running it with the max number of volume spacers - I was able to access pretty much the whole range of travel. It would be a little more plush without the spacers , but I for sure would be bottomed out on some of the bigger drops.

Did 27 come with the new X2 that supports 300psi or are you taking a chance and hoping that it's fine?

mtbr member
    May 2018
    This is the 2018 version with max 250psi. Iím just going to take my chances that they were being cautious when they lowered the max PSI. Because the shock is a 250x70/75 my only option if I want to change it would be to a DHX2 coil.

The 29 Pro race is definitely the model that I was lusting after but theyíre not expected to deliver until August, and I would have a bigger problem with that rear shock because of the higher leverage ratio (230/65). Iíd have to swap it for a DPX2 or DHX2 right away. Figured may as well go wifh the 27 and if they make the Jeffsy 29er longer for 2019 Iíll consider one of them for a 2nd bike.