Capra 29 AL LTD- Mtbr.com

Thread: Capra 29 AL LTD

mtbr member
    Feb 2015

Capra 29 AL LTD

Got my capra, didnít get to ride today but Iíll be on it first thing in the am

Size XL comes with a 475lbs spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    It sure is a nice looking bike. I've got 372 in an XL. Have to bump the spring up before I can ride it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I have one coming as well. In the pictures on the yt site I can see the e13 dropper lever, is that right? Also, can you confirm what tires its coming with? Pics show different tires front and rear but the specs don't mention that.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    That thing looks sweet. I was thiiiiiis close to buying one before my size (large) sold out. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Loadsled View Post
    Got my capra, didnít get to ride today but Iíll be on it first thing in the am

Size XL comes with a 475lbs spring.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by S3tigoHide View Post
    I have one coming as well. In the pictures on the yt site I can see the e13 dropper lever, is that right? Also, can you confirm what tires its coming with? Pics show different tires front and rear but the specs don't mention that.
    It's a Fox Transfer Dropper with a RF thumb trigger shifter on mine. The Tires are LG1+EN on the rear and LG1rEN on the front.

What's interesting is the Cassette looks like the XCX design, but it's 11-46 so not sure if that's a 2020 part they haven't announced yet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Anyone know how quick these are shipping out?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    The reply above is correct. Iím ordering the new e13 tires for mine. The cassette is 11sp 9-46 e13. Not familiar with these. Might be old stock.

The only other change Iím making is a 30t chainring.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Canít find these on the website. How much are they selling for?

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo View Post
    Canít find these on the website. How much are they selling for?
    $3599 plus $99 shipping, but YT only made 400 (200 Europe/200 US) and they are all sold out!

mtbr member
    The reply above is correct. Iím ordering the new e13 tires for mine. The cassette is 11sp 9-46 e13. Not familiar with these. Might be old stock.

Should get my large on Wednesday. Definitely will be sizing down to a 30 tooth as well. Also will be swapping the saddle to a WTB. The SGD that came on my 27.5 Capra Pro Race was not choad friendly at all. Just holding out to order parts to see if the SLS spring will need swapped.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteyPhil View Post
    That thing looks sweet. I was thiiiiiis close to buying one before my size (large) sold out. Sad.
    Missed out initially, but emailed yt yesterday to inquire about cancelations. They said cancellations were extremely unlikely but keep an eye on the website. At 5 pm today, one popped up. DONE.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Stupordave View Post
    Should get my large on Wednesday. Definitely will be sizing down to a 30 tooth as well. Also will be swapping the saddle to a WTB. The SGD that came on my 27.5 Capra Pro Race was not choad friendly at all. Just holding out to order parts to see if the SLS spring will need swapped.
    Youíre absolutely right. Had my second ride yesterday and the saddle is horrible!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

The Cassette is the new e.13 design that they're changing over too. Seem to be a much better design with the 46 being the only Al cog.

I'm going to change out the brakes to some Magura's since i'm not a SRAM brake fan. Then I'm switching the tires out to Maxxis 2.5s when I burn out the e.13 tires with probably a Cushcore in the rear. Other than that seems pretty good as is. Will be the first time running a Shimano shifting setup in probably 20 years to that will be interesting.

Chronic 1st-timer
    XXL has 500# spring.
    Trailwrecker at large

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lubes17319 View Post
    XXL has 500# spring.
    Large comes with 425#

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Got my medium built up last night!

202/400. Came with a 375# spring which ended up being perfect for me at 130. At 5í6 the dropper is about 1Ē out of the frame and works perfectly for me length wise. The bike feels really plush. But my reference is my DB Release 2. These wheels are huge! And really roll over everything but it doesnít feel as nimble and playful as my R2. Reach feels appropriate, not too long or too short. The bar width is probably too much. Might cut down to 780. Once I got everything together I had to reset the limits on the derailleur and adjust the indexing but now it shifts great. Love the range. Iíll think about switching to a 28 or 30t ring up front though. The brakes were setup fine and I bedded them in but they donít have as much bite so I donít know if they just need more bedding in. Also these tires flick up so much debris! But the grip is great so far.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I think Iím gonna take the rear 27.5 off my release and try it on the Capra. I wanna see if the mullet makes the bike a little livelier. I think I read that mullet setup in high mode is pretty close to stock BB height.

Chronic 1st-timer
    Quote Originally Posted by lubes17319 View Post
    XXL has 500# spring.
    Capra 29 AL LTD-09.20-capra-build-70107.jpg
    Guess that 76mm of extra reach (vs my current ride) adds up.
    We'll see how bad it gets once I add Cushcore & a DHF up front.

Edit: website showed 150mm Transfer on XXL - nah, it's a 175mm.

My 2014 XL Niner WFO9 weighs in at 32.4#.
    Has similar specs: DHX2, Lyrik 170mm, Code RSC, OneUp 170mm drooper, but is tubeless...
    Last edited by lubes17319; 09-21-2019 at 05:23 PM.
    Trailwrecker at large

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Can anyone confirm what length dropper the XL is coming with?

mtbr member
    Howís everyone feeling on spring weight? 205lbs on the 425# is a bit too light. 2 turns of preload I can get sag right but it moves through the travel easily. Thinking about bumping up to the 475# for park use.

Spent a full day doing runs yesterday. Aside from the rear slicing on my second run, itís about perfect for parks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Can anyone confirm what length dropper the XL is coming with?
    Fox factory transfer, 175MM

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Was fun the one week it lasted. Rehooping my wheels with some vibrocore 359s. Changing the ring to a 30t made climbing doable.

The 475 spring on my bike feels good, Iím 185, maybe 195 with my waist pack, havenít bottomed out the rear even on decent drops. Gotta measure my dropper but Iím pretty sure itís 150.

user
    Oct 2015
    does only the fox SLS 2.65 in. spring fit or do other sizes fit if I want a higher weight rating?

danke

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    does only the fox SLS 2.65 in. spring fit or do other sizes fit if I want a higher weight rating?

danke
    I believe other manufacturer springs will fit onto the Fox but you can also pick up a steel spring from Fox for $30 vs than $130 for an sls spring.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    If anyone finds their 175 too long hit me up, I have an almost new factory 150 off of my XXL Decoy that Iíd gladly trade.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015

danke
    Jenson has the cane creek springs for $60. You just need a $9 retaining clip to make it work.

mtbr member
    May 2016

#254 first ride

Size large. Initial upgrades: DHR/DHF and 550 lb spring (I am 6', 215 lbs without gear) Capra 29 AL LTD-4b9b3d47-af11-4104-8b8b-66563175055d.jpg

user
    Oct 2015
    nice. does the 550 lb spring feel right? Could you have gone +/- on it?

mtbr member
    May 2016
    nice. does the 550 lb spring feel right? Could you have gone +/- on it?
    It felt pretty good, but still getting it dialed. I have a 500 lb spring on the way next week, which I plan to use the for chunky, descend-y type stuff. The firmer coil will be for bike park and jump trails. Will try to update after I ride the lighter coil.

user
    Oct 2015
    Thanks for the reply.

Anyone think its crazy to be thinking 28T chainring for it? Most of my rides are long uphills/fireroads to top of system then 95% downhill back to car. I'd like to spend more time climbing with the steel part of the cassette

mtbr member
    Anyone need a 425lb SLS spring. Stock on the size large. Have a 450lb as well which give 30% at 2 turns of preload but want to go to 475 at 205lbs.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Definitely not crazy. Hop on a road and try to use the 9t ring in the back. You have to be going so damn fast for it to be usable like probably 25+mph. Iím definitely going to be switching to a smaller front ring. Either 30 or 28. Maybe people just ride way faster than me though...

mtbr member
    Was anyone else confused about the flip chip?

Spoke with YT and all bikes are shipped in the low setting, but when you look at the flip chip the word high is right-side up (low is upside-down, which makes one think its in the high setting....), and the arrow points towards the high setting....

Not sure I understand the labeling... but anyways... when the bolt is towards the rear of the bike its in low mode.
    Ride yer bike, drink your beer, and keep it hid

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Man these E13 LG1 tires roll super slow. I still have tubes just because I haven't had time to go tubeless yet, but even so, these tires roll really poorly. Which is a shame because I like the way they feel and corner.

Also, it took my a while to get my suspension feeling right. I'm 5'6 and 130lbs no gear. Stock 375# coil spring seems to be working just fine for me giving about 30% sag w/ 1 turn of preload. I run the HSC at full open and the LSC at like 3 clicks from fully closed in order to limit pedal bob. I run HSR just under half from closed and LSR like 3 clicks from open to get make the bike feel more playful. I was kinda hesitant at first to run so much LSC damping, but the bike just bobs so much and I don't love reaching for the climb switch all the time.

Loving the 36 up front. It feels very supportive and I had no trouble getting things feels great right out of the box.

What are you guys running for suspension tunes?

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Triber View Post

Spoke with YT and all bikes are shipped in the low setting, but when you look at the flip chip the word high is right-side up (low is upside-down, which makes one think its in the high setting....), and the arrow points towards the high setting....

Not sure I understand the labeling... but anyways... when the bolt is towards the rear of the bike its in low mode.
    I could be totally thinking about this the wrong way, but this seems backwards to me. Having the bolt closer to the rear of the bike effectively lengthens the seatstay, which lowers the wheel relative to the bottom bracket. This would put the bottom bracket in the "high" position.

Bolt flipped closer the front of the bike shortens the seatstay, lowering the bottom bracket relative to the rear wheel -- this is the "low" position.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Youíve got it backwards. Bolt flipped to the front is essentially lengthening the shock, raising the rear.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Camstyn View Post
    Youíve got it backwards. Bolt flipped to the front is essentially lengthening the shock, raising the rear.
    Lol, you are 100% correct. I've been riding in high the last two months thinking it was low.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    What are you guys all running for spring rates these days? Thinking about getting a 425# spring. Anyone end up adding volume spacers to their fork?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mnguyen1224 View Post
    What are you guys all running for spring rates these days? Thinking about getting a 425# spring. Anyone end up adding volume spacers to their fork?
    475# at 200# weight, no more spacers.

bike rider
    I wonder why they come with such light springs. Based on Niko using a 525 I got a 475 and 500. I swap between them but use the 475 for most trail riding. I weight 175lbs and wear light gear.
    Keep the Country country.

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Triber View Post

Swap the chips from left to right and it will make sense. A lot were installed on the wrong sides from the factory.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    How much sag are you guys running on your shocks and forks?

Anyone else having issues with the fork having constant suck down of about 5-10mm? I've gone through the process of slowly de-airing and slowly re-airing making sure to equalize the positive and negative chambers every 10PSI but the fork just has a persistent 5mm of suck down at all times unless I force it to full extension. My RS Pike doesn't have this...

bike rider
    I believe my fork sits topped out but don't have it here to check. I run rear sag of 30% with 475 spring, a touch less with 500 spring. About 15mm fork sag (170mm travel).

Your problem is the opposite of what most people experience with the 36 so you could try the opposite of their solution. Put a gob of grease in the bottom of the air chamber to partially fill the negative spring.

mtbr member
    So I turned my 29" LTD Capra into a mullet bike. Threw a 27.5" wheel in the rear, put the flip chip into high mode & the thing feels like the best bike I've ever ridden. No problems w/ BB height, handling, or geometry after the change.

Really enjoyed the bike as a 29er, but I couldn't get the thing leaned over to easily/confidently to really rail any corners. With the 27.5 in the rear now, the bike feels like it just handles corners so much better and also now has a poppy/playful feel. Can't recommend this enough to anyone debating this idea.

Edit: Also, I'm about 185lbs and threw a 550lb spring on (might upgrade to 600lbs later, but get rid of that silly lighter weight shock it came with).
    Ride yer bike, drink your beer, and keep it hid

mtbr member
    Feb 2020

Changing coils

Are you guys having to remove the mounting hardware to swap springs?

bike rider
    Yes

mtbr member
    Feb 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    Yes

Thanks. Ordered new mounting hardware and higher rate spring for my DHX2 that just arrived from a PB seller. Hardware arrived first so I pressed it all in to test it out for kicks and giggles.

Not looking forward to going through that again without the proper tools.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    How is everyone getting on with the ltd?
    Is it a beast to climb?
    DH I assume it feels great and planted? Allowing for a degree of error given the travel it has and quality of the suspension?
    Anyone had time Vs a Ripmo?
    Cheers

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodaclown View Post
    How is everyone getting on with the ltd?
    Is it a beast to climb?
    DH I assume it feels great and planted? Allowing for a degree of error given the travel it has and quality of the suspension?
    Anyone had time Vs a Ripmo?
    Cheers
    Well, my carbon Capra with coil, Double Downs, and a top end lightweight build was 31.5lbs and a manageable climber, but not sprightly. I consider the Ripmo up there with the Ransom on the better climbing end of the enduro spectrum. An alloy framed Capra with heavier build is gonna be at least 3lbs heavier than mine which would add to it's pokiness on climbs. The Ripmo and Ransom are also available with cheap, heavy builds that make them not climb as well as the top end models I've ridden though. It's hard to make a 30+lb 170mm travel bike climb efficiently and it's hard to make a good 170mm bike under 30lbs. Money helps, while coil suspension and metal frames don't.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    Well, my carbon Capra with coil, Double Downs, and a top end lightweight build was 31.5lbs and a manageable climber, but not sprightly. I consider the Ripmo up there with the Ransom on the better climbing end of the enduro spectrum. An alloy framed Capra with heavier build is gonna be at least 3lbs heavier than mine which would add to it's pokiness on climbs. The Ripmo and Ransom are also available with cheap, heavy builds that make them not climb as well as the top end models I've ridden though. It's hard to make a 30+lb 170mm travel bike climb efficiently and it's hard to make a good 170mm bike under 30lbs. Money helps, while coil suspension and metal frames don't.
    Cheers for the reply.
    100% would agree with those sentiments. Always great to hear other views. The Capra looks like an awesome bike, perhaps the Ripmo is better allround. The Capra looks awesome though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2020
    FWIW my alloy Capra w DHX2 feels amazing and climbs/tracks really well for what it is.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Well, went out to go ride this weekend and found my rear shock leaking oil... and just some gentle cycling of the shock sounded like air in the damper. Don't know how it happened or why. The shock is being sent in to Fox for warranty. I hope they cover it as the bike is less than a year old and I really haven't put a ton of miles on the bike. Kinda in shock over blowing the shock.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Well I'm pretty disappointed. Sent my DHX2 to Fox for warranty and they denied it. They said there was "too much wear on the main shaft" to be a warranty? Seems crazy that their top of the line coil shock would fail with 50, maybe 70 hours of riding. They said it's expected that the shock would need a full rebuild with even just that much riding. I didn't even make it a full season and had oil leaking and air within the damper. I don't know. Maybe I'm too frustrated right now, but I just cannot believe that somehow this is expected.