average joe thoughts: 5 months in on Jeffsy 27 AL1- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013

We the people ... average joe thoughts: 5 months in on Jeffsy 27 AL1

I've seen a lot of posts between here and other forums inquiring about the YT brand. Here are some of my thoughts after having been on mine since April...I was lucky enough to pre-order one of the 27.5 Jeffsy's back in February.

This post isn't meant to be self serving....just my thoughts on the Jeffsy. Happy to answer questions if anyone has any.

CONTEXT
    My initial bike search started a year ago. Spring-Summer 2016 I demoed a Santa Cruz Bronson, Rocky Mountain Altitude, Trek Remedy. I wanted a do-it-all trail bike that would be a decent climber but also be able to take on the bike park every once in awhile. I was originally very hesitant on not being able to throw a leg over a YT (I live in the northeast US) but I took very precise measurements and took a hard look at geo charts on other bikes I HAD been on and how the fit compared to YT sizing. More on size/fit below.

SPEC
    Ultimately -- and like most w/ YT (I think) -- my decision came down to price. The spec on the AL1 was phenomenal. Suspension, geometry and drivetrain were top priorities, followed by a dropper. All these boxes were checked. Comparable builds I was looking at were both the SC Bronson R and S builds. Those builds either had inferior components or were $1000+ out of my budget. Big difference. Finally, I debated going w/ a carbon JEffsy CF1 but decided against it. Couldn't stomach the extra $1000 for marginal weight savings. Don't get me wrong, I've ridden plenty of carbon frames and certainly appreciate the dampening but not enough to warrant the extra coin. I really think this is personal preference and budget, if you're coming down to the AL vs CF models and frame type is your deciding factor.

The Jeffsy comes without tubeless tires, but I was able convert to tubeless with typical rim tape and Stans. Floor pump too -- no compressor needed.

FIT
    I'm just shy of 5'11" (180 cm). 170 lbs. My pant inseam is 32 in (81 cm). Overall, I am a pretty average build. I went with a Large frame. Upon receiving the bike and only about 20 minutes into my first ride I immediately knew that the reach was too long. I dropped the stem to a 40mm and after that...fit was PERFECT.

RIDE
    This bike smashes everything. I am VERY happy with my purchase, especially after almost a year of research and demo'ing similar bikes. I ride a bit of everything here in the northeast US. Most of my weekly rides are either long ascents to long descents or rolling XC terrain. The Jeffo handles it all no problem. A couple of the guys I ride with have lefties, XC bikes and I nip at their heels all day. It climbs very well, despite the geo and suspension. There is some slight bob but I tend to keep my susp psi pretty firm anyways so I don't notice it much. Of course, on the downs the Pike + Deluxe are prime-time and is where the bike really shines. I put two "bottomless tokens" in the Pike and its just about perfect for the northeast riding I do. Lots of rocks, roots and some mud.

I do take Jeff to the bikepark, probably once every two weeks. On these days I throw on some flat pedals, pump up the tires to 35 psi, and adjust suspension as needed. I'm riding mostly at Killington, but have ventured to Sugarbush, Highland and Mt. Snow with it too. It handles bike park FLOW really well, and can take most of the small-medium sized jumps. I found myself pretty underbiked at Highland and on the trail Black Magic at Killington (some 20+ft tables). Other than the biggest jump trails and gnarliest tech, the Jeffsy handles everything else no problem. It's marketed as a trail bike but w/ the geo and suspension it is really more of a light enduro rig (in my opinion).

GRIPES
    The brakes. SRAM Guides have had to be bled three times now over two months. I've managed to get used to them but they sure are finicky. Ideally I'd put on XTs or even bump up to Zees/Saints.

Tire combo is solid but the dual High Roller IIs aren't the best for my type of riding. Will run these until its time for a change.

Overall, can't say enough good things about the Jeffsy 27. Hope this post helps for anyone looking for more insight on buying factor direct.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Excellent review bear99!

How did the DT Swiss M1900 Spline wheels perform? Would you happen to know the inner width size of the rim?

I am looking at Jeffsy bikes as well and this is very helpful thank you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SentiRyder View Post
    Excellent review bear99!

How did the DT Swiss M1900 Spline wheels perform? Would you happen to know the inner width size of the rim?

I am looking at Jeffsy bikes as well and this is very helpful thank you.
    Glad I could help. I think the Splines inner width are 22.5mm. I would check their website, compare to YT spec sheet. So far they've been great. Stiff enough, haven't felt like they're too heavy. I'm not the heaviest of riders so they've held up well to the abuse I've thrown at them. Almost 6 months in, no need to true them yet.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by bear99 View Post
    Glad I could help. I think the Splines inner width are 22.5mm. I would check their website, compare to YT spec sheet. So far they've been great. Stiff enough, haven't felt like they're too heavy. I'm not the heaviest of riders so they've held up well to the abuse I've thrown at them. Almost 6 months in, no need to true them yet.
    Excellent! Were they easy to set up tubeless? Thank you!

Danger Zone
    Nice to hear an opinion from a Northeast rider. It seems like a lot of the reviews and marketing on newer bikes has been aimed at more west coast style riding. I bought a Specialized Enduro a little while ago but I'm really not sure if it's the right bike for me.

Just put in an order on the Jeffsy 29 AL 1 since it seems like it will be better suited for my riding style and the trails around here. Hopefully it ends up being a good decision; I'm starting to regret getting rid of my Rocky Mountain Instinct.
    Last edited by GoldFly; 09-11-2017 at 05:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I ride one in Northeast on roots and rocks and the suspension sucks em up no problem. Still feels firm and positive when I want that too.