Anyone got their Jeffsy yet?- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Anyone got their Jeffsy yet?

Sounds like the jeffsy pros are now shipping....

Anyone got one? Real world (no marketing ********) reviews?

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    I ordered CF Comp 1 - still no news...

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    Does anybody have any knowledge - if the availability date on the setup I've ordered has changed from Jun 8 to Jul 27 - does it mean there a delay with my order's arrival? (((((((((

mtbr member
    The availability changed after the first batch arrived, you need to refer to the date that was on the site at the time of your order and the date on your emailed order confirmation.

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    Uh, that's a relief then. That means the first batch (I think I've order like a few hours after they released it) is ready to ship?

mtbr member
    You should have had info from YT by now, the first shipment was in on the 18th and I got notification from them asking for payment on the same day.

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    Nope, nothing from them ((( Although, I'm not in EU and not in US, and I paid PayPal month and a half ago...

mtbr member
    You'll have to try calling them or email, they usually respond pretty quickly, well in the Germany office at least. I am in the UK.

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    Well, I'm 2 weeks before scheduled, so I'll exercise my patience until then...

mtbr member
    I'm sure you'll be fine then

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Some European Jeffsys Pro with Available date of 25th May were shipped early...
    What is more is that they don't seem to be being held in a DHL warehouse in germany for a week like the capras were....

Should start hitting doorsteps this week cant wait to hear the ride reports!

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Yeah can confirm early shipping. Ordered a jeffsy pro on the 6th of may with the available date of the 25th may, got shipping conformation on Monday so two days early happy days !

I'm in Scotland.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I ordered a medium Coral/raw Jeffsy Pro last Tuesday , paid for it wednesday (Transferwise) it was booked in to be picked up by DHL Thursday . I received it this wednesday.

Really nice bike , eats the trails . Bunnyhops high as hell , wheelies and manuals easily. Changed back tyre for a Rock Razor (saved 160g) . Took out the tubes (-360g) added Stans and tubeless valves (+160g). Weight with Vault magnesium pedals and those changes was 26.8 pounds.

Changed chainring for 28 T but may well have to go up to 30 T as so easy to ride fast on dry trails it was spinning out in top.

No damage , box is tough for a cardboard one , was built nicely didn't even need to adjust the derraileur at all after attaching. Cables are only slightly long and the routing is excellent.

No Thirstmaster bottles available yet though , being sent in July apparently.

Size wise i'm 173-174 cm , smidge under 5'9 . 30 inch leg . Sizing was absolutely perfect.

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    All in all you got your bike within 10 days of purchase... It's crazy fast, considering my wait time )))

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frost View Post
    I ordered a medium Coral/raw Jeffsy Pro last Tuesday , paid for it wednesday (Transferwise) it was booked in to be picked up by DHL Thursday . I received it this wednesday.

Really nice bike , eats the trails . Bunnyhops high as hell , wheelies and manuals easily. Changed back tyre for a Rock Razor (saved 160g) . Took out the tubes (-360g) added Stans and tubeless valves (+160g). Weight with Vault magnesium pedals and those changes was 26.8 pounds.

Changed chainring for 28 T but may well have to go up to 30 T as so easy to ride fast on dry trails it was spinning out in top.

No damage , box is tough for a cardboard one , was built nicely didn't even need to adjust the derraileur at all after attaching. Cables are only slightly long and the routing is excellent.

No Thirstmaster bottles available yet though , being sent in July apparently.
    ?
    Size wise i'm 173-174 cm , smidge under 5'9 . 30 inch leg . Sizing was absolutely perfect.
    How did you find setting up the fox fork and shock was it a bit off a faff having to measure the sag ? Curious to know as I've only ever had rockshox and found that to be piss easy with the sag markers.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    How well does the bike climb? I know it has gravity oriented geometry but would like to know how well it climbs for all day rides

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I've ordered an AL Comp 1. It's arrived in Sweden from Germany and I hope to have it tomorrow or Wednesday

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Much to my fiance's disapproval, I'm probably going to pull the trigger on an AL Comp 1. I'm just waiting to hear some real world reviews before I do so. Mostly interested in hearing how it climbs.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    I can already say - worse than a 120mm trail bike with 68 degree head angle, but better than anything else in aggressive/enduro/trail medium travel 29er niche.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    have you considered changing the flip-chip to 67,6 and try it out?

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Interested to hear how it climbs as well.

Can't wait for the US bikes to come in... counting the days.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I was told that the CF Jeffsy are delayed until Sept.
    Anyone else hear this?

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    No, never got this message from them. Who told you, when did you order and what was the estimated arrival of your order before? (((

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Jeffsy climbs very well.

Better than Evil Following, Nukeproof Mega 290, Capra,

nearly as good as the Intense Spider 29C

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by viccoastal View Post
    I was told that the CF Jeffsy are delayed until Sept.
    Anyone else hear this?
    That is not the case in Europe.
    Some sizes are sold out until August though

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    What I don't get why there is a difference in price between the AL1 and AL2 in the States ($3300 and $3500) whereas in Europe the AL1 and AL2 are the same price: €2799

I understand the difference with shipping and exchange rates and so forth which is why the bike costs more in the $ but that doesn't really seem to make sense there.

I'm getting an AL 1 in any case but that seemed weird.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by richt2000 View Post
    Jeffsy climbs very well.

Better than Evil Following, Nukeproof Mega 290, Capra,

nearly as good as the Intense Spider 29C
    Does it climb as well as the Spider 29C in the 130mm setting? I am riding the Spider 29C and it climbs really well. The Jeffsy is definitely on my radar but I fear that it is too much bike for my needs. How would you compare these two?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Its 90% as good at climbing as the spider in 130mm mode and 120% as good descending. (My spider has a 140mm fork and cane creek inline shock)

Its lower, slightly slacker and slightly short chainstays. Its a bit more playful.

The biggest difference is how stiff it is - the back end is much stiffer than the spider, it stays on target easier.

Im going to put my spider into the 115mm setting and see if it is worth keeping in addition to the jeffsy...

If I had to chose one to keep it would be the jeff, which hurts me to say this considering its 1/2 the price of an equiv speced Spider (factory build)
    Last edited by richt2000; 06-04-2016 at 06:04 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Its 90% as good at climbing as the spider in 130mm mode and 120% as good descending. (My spider has a 140mm fork and cane creek inline shock)

Its lower, slightly slacker and slightly short chainstays. Its a bit more playful.

The biggest difference is how stiff it is - the back end is much stiffer than the spider, it stays on target easier.

Im going to put my spider into the 115mm setting and see if it is worth keeping in addition to the jeffsy...

If I had to chose one to keep it would be the jeff, which hurts me to say this considering its 1/2 the price of an equiv speced Spider (factory build)
    Thanks for the insigt. You comparison is with the Jeffsy in the 67.6 setting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Does anyone happen to know the actual BB height please? I think I worked it out to be roughly 13.36" if memory serves me but I was hoping someone has checked?

mtbr member
    Just had it confirmed to me on pinkbike 13.4" in the low setting!

mtbr member
    By richt2000!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thinkig of putting some 150mm pikes on it this weekens to see if the benefit of extra travel and slacker head angle are worth the affect on steering and BB coming up a bit...

mtbr member
    Thinkig of putting some 150mm pikes on it this weekens to see if the benefit of extra travel and slacker head angle are worth the affect on steering and BB coming up a bit...
    How are you finding it so far?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    How are you finding it so far?
    Yea loving it. Best 29er I've ridden since the Evil Following. And it doesn't have the flaws of the following. In fact I can't think of a single flaw with it.

Its a keeper. Incredibly poppy, insanely fun and fast. Its even quicker with a 150 pike!!!

mtbr member
    Yea loving it. Best 29er I've ridden since the Evil Following. And it doesn't have the flaws of the following. In fact I can't think of a single flaw with it.

Its a keeper. Incredibly poppy, insanely fun and fast. Its even quicker with a 150 pike!!!
    Good to know, thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Its my first fox shock since CTD disaster and I am super impressed with it. Very supple descending and the lockout is proper lockout - almost like a hardtail.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    could you be so kind and compare the jeffsy with the following?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quite similar bikes. Both low, fairly slack, short chainstays.
    The characteristics are very similar - bother corner exceptionally well and both are very poppy. These two bikes are more alike than anything else I've ridden (And I've ridden 20-30 bikes) and I owned a following for 6 months.

The jeffsy is very very prgrrssive curve rate, so much so that most of the time if feels more like a 120-130mm travel bike. However when you take that bigger drop, or hit successive hits (rock garden) it deals with it with ease. The following felt bottomless but really showed its limits on rock gardens etc where it would end up rattling through. Jeffsy handles this better.

I would have kept the following if it had not been for the (verging on) silly slack seat angle. As I have long legs, if you increase the saddle height on the following the effective seat angle becomes very slack. Like 69 degrees for me. With the saddle in the same place my effective seat angle is around 73 on the jeffsy

So the advantages to the Jeffsy are:

Jeffsy is lighter
    Jeffsy has a steeper seat angle (would only bother longer legged people within their height range)
    Jeffsy peddles slightly better uphill, yet feels more bottomless - Doesn't get hung up on successive hits

Both class leading bikes, Apart for the brand kudos (come on Evil are the coolest brand out there at the moment) the following doesnt have anything on the jeffsy, other than you can't use a angleset in the jeffsy where as Evil make one for their bikes.

Similar feeling stack and reach too for size large.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    richt 2000, thank you for your comparison!

i am looking for a new bike and have to decide between the following and the jeffsy. the following is for sure the sexiest bike around, but i was a little afraid because of the slack seat angle. i am 187 cm with an inseam of 93 cm.
    a very kind forum member let me demo his following last weekend and it is very nice. but i feel that the seat angle is very slack and the front is lower than i like it (oddly his front was lower with a 140 mm fork compared to mine with 120 mm). also the tt was quite long for me. the following was xl so perhaps L would be the better size for me.

i am also considering the jeffsy so i was interested in hearing about your thoughts. the jeffsy also looks very nice, but the sexiness factor is a little bit more on the following's side.

perhaps i should wait a few months to see, if evil will bring a new following with steeper seat angle and perhaps boost. perhaps i just just get the jeffsy as it seems to be a very nice bike.

may i ask what your measures are, what sizes your following and jeffsy was/is and how high the middle of the handle bar is from the floor on your jeffsy?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Holy crap you are within a haircut of me. I'm 188cm with 91.5cm inseam. You are even more crazy legged than me.

I had a large following - the reach was perfect but the seat was so far back it cause me a knee injury which has taken 12 month to heal. I worked out for the saddle height I needed I ended up with a 69 degree effective seat angle! Sold it after 6 months.

A large Jeffsy is a MUCH better fit for me.... An XL following might work for me. But if you found the seat angle on an XL following too slack, dont even consider an L....

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The other thing to consider is what ever is coming very soon from intense - i'd guess we'll see a new Spider 29C and Carbine 29 very soon. It'll be sexier than the Hightower that is for sure...

In Europe a Jeffsy Pro is 1/2 the price of an equilavlent build Evil, SC, Intense etc...

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    why would the seat angle on the following in L be worse than on XL?

why did you get the jeffsy in L and not XL? this is one of the things i have to find out with the jeffsy. the seat tube length of the jeffsy XL is 4 cm longer than of the L. wouldn't this suit long legged people better? on an L your seat post must be quite far out!?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Look at how the seat tube is made up on the following. Its kinked, the top part is nvery slack. The more the seat post is raised the slacker the eSA becomes. The jeffsy is fhe same idea but its 1" taller for an L and the top part of the seat tube isn't as slack.

I rode both a L and XL Jeffsy at a YT rolling circus. I could easily ride either frame - bang inbetween sizes. L felt more nimble. XL felt more XC style. Yep, XL would suit long legs, but I didnt want the longer reach. YT bike fitter at rolling circus confirmed my thoughta and said I should get the L "As my friend I do this all day every day". On an L seatpost is about 50mm out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    You, like me are between sizes - try and ride both sizes like I did.... Hard to do this with YT, I know...

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I too am between sizes with 178cm of height and slightly longer 85cm inseam. I went on and asked them for an AL COMP 1 which one to choose and heres what Christoph replied
    "According to your body measurements I recommend you the frame in size L.If your style of pedaling is very flat, you could need a shorter seatpost but usually the L sized frame will fit for your body size.Our wheels are delivered with tubeless tape but without tubeless valves. In order to change the setup to tubeless, you will need the correct valves (DT Swiss) and sealant milk.Our availablity changes with incoming orders in real time. So when the availability is July, your bike will be assembled and prepared for shipment within the week of the availability.Please keep in mind that shipment abroad can take up to 12 workdays.I hope this information is helpful to you."
    Now my only consideration is the 480mm seat tube length and the 150mm reverb. I fear that it will probably be slammed all the way in to get the correct seat height.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Going a different direction here. 5 7 rider with a 29 inch inseam. Site puts me squarely on a Medium but concerned about big wheels/big bike syndrome.

Would like to know if I could do a Small, chances of test riding one are 0.

Any short riders on the Small?

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    I think my CF Comp 1 is shipped. The status of the order changed to "completed" ))))))))))))))

mtbr member
    richt2000 what's the mud clearance like on the Jeffsy please? I've not been able to find any images on the web showing the clearance.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    For those who have gotten their Jeffsy's, how does this bike handle tight, twisty singletrack and slower climbs. I'm not interested in hitting any huge drops or jumps right now, so I'm just trying to figure out if this bike would be overkill.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    Guys, those of you that already received their Jeffsys - did YT provided you with a tracking number or anything?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Tracking number can be found at your customer account. Open your order and it is printed in small font somewhere on the page.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hiball View Post
    Tracking number can be found at your customer account. Open your order and it is printed in small font somewhere on the page.
    Look at bottom of the page, there is a tracking number. Click it and it should redirect to tracking service.

Anyone got their Jeffsy yet?-yt-tracking.png

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    Strange, that's what I thought... But I don't see any tr. number, and after I contacted them was answered, that there is no tracking number. The bike should be on the way by now...

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Anybody who rode both a Transition Smuggler and a Jeffsy and can comment on how they compare?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    richt2000 what's the mud clearance like on the Jeffsy please? I've not been able to find any images on the web showing the clearance.
    Plenty, 10mm each side of the 2.4 Ibex, more like 15mm ether side of a nobby nic 2.35

mtbr member
    Plenty, 10mm each side of the 2.4 Ibex, more like 15mm ether side of a nobby nic 2.35
    Spot on, cheers!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sdimit View Post
    I too am between sizes with 178cm of height and slightly longer 85cm inseam. I went on and asked them for an AL COMP 1 which one to choose and heres what Christoph replied
    "According to your body measurements I recommend you the frame in size L.If your style of pedaling is very flat, you could need a shorter seatpost but usually the L sized frame will fit for your body size.Our wheels are delivered with tubeless tape but without tubeless valves. In order to change the setup to tubeless, you will need the correct valves (DT Swiss) and sealant milk.Our availablity changes with incoming orders in real time. So when the availability is July, your bike will be assembled and prepared for shipment within the week of the availability.Please keep in mind that shipment abroad can take up to 12 workdays.I hope this information is helpful to you."
    Now my only consideration is the 480mm seat tube length and the 150mm reverb. I fear that it will probably be slammed all the way in to get the correct seat height.
    I have a 82.5cm inseam, sat on both Med and Large jeffsy, seat post wasn't slammed on the large there was about 20mm still showing

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by alan1 View Post
    I have a 82.5cm inseam, sat on both Med and Large jeffsy, seat post wasn't slammed on the large there was about 20mm still showing
    Good to know cause i was worried thanks
    Btw how did those 2 sizes compare in terms of total effective reach feeling since they use different stem lengths? was the difference noticeable in riding?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Good to know cause i was worried thanks
    Btw how did those 2 sizes compare in terms of total effective reach feeling since they use different stem lengths? was the difference noticeable in riding?
    I am leaning towards large with a 40 mm stem, YT boys reckoned I would be fine on either and suggested if I was doing a lot of climbing the large would probably be better.

I currently have a large Transition scout which has the same Wheelbase but longer Reach, Didn't ride them as I have a broken Wrist, just sat on them in a setup stand, my son is getting a medium which should be here next week so will let you know what that's like,

I am 177cm

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I am leaning towards large with a 40 mm stem, YT boys reckoned I would be fine on either and suggested if I was doing a lot of climbing the large would probably be better.

I currently have a large Transition scout which has the same Wheelbase but longer Reach, Didn't ride them as I have a broken Wrist, just sat on them in a setup stand, my son is getting a medium which should be here next week so will let you know what that's like,

I am 177cm
    Yea same here 178cm- I'm certain that i need a large cause i too do a lot of climbing and thats what they suggested for my size also. My new camber has a longer reach than this and climbs well but now i want to make the switch to a mid travel bike and the al comp 1 fits the bill perfectly. I think i'll change the flip chip to the high position(67,6) cause probably it would be better for my climbing and twisty singletracks that i mostly ride. Maybe one the guys here would tell us how it rides if they have tested it in the high position.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

My Jeffsy Review

Here is my review.
    Some background on me.
    I am an intermediate mountain biker of about average fitness, I have been riding mountain bikes for over 20 years, I also ride downhill. I prefer going down to going up but definitely wanted a ‘trail’ bike over enduro. Most of the last 9 years I have been riding a Mongoose Teocali 26inch, last year for about 2 months in July August I was riding a 2012 Ibis Mojo 26inch borrowed from a friend.

Since September I’ve only done 2 days of downhilling so I am pretty rusty. I have also recently moved to Stockholm and have never ridden any of the trails before. So in terms of a subjective review I am about as far from that as you can get but here we go anyway.

I have had the bike 3 weeks now, unfortunately travel with work and 2 small kids has limited my riding so far but I have a total 36 km on the bike over 4 rides, including a short ‘shakedown’ ride after assembling the bike
    18 km super techy rock and root, no big hills
    10km more general trail, mix of dirt, root and rock, some super techy sections but mostly standard trails, not much high speed flowing trail, no big hills
    8km gravel paths

Sizing – I am 178cm and about 82kg which is on the absolute low end of the size large. I have only ever ridden medium sized mountain bikes but I went with YTs sizing guidance of a large anyway, the difference in wheelbase between the large and medium is 24mm, the large has a 60mm stem and the medium a 55mm so I reckon I can swap out to a 50mm stem later if size is an issue. So far the bike feels perfect for sizing, really comfortable fit so I do not see any need for a shorter stem at this stage and I am happy with my size choice.

Handling – This is the area I was most worried about in tight technical trails, due to moving to a large size frame and 29 inch wheels. As you can see from my rides to date there has been a lot of tight technical riding, tight corners, sudden direction changes, maneuvering between big roots and rocks and so far I am really happy with the handling in this terrain, not once have I thought that the bike has felt hard to maneuver or slow to respond. Weight feels pretty good on the trails, it’s lighter than my Teocali but heavier than the Mojo. As other people have commented it really does seem to bunny hop well or ‘pop’ off of things. One thing I have found is it seems to take quite a bit more effort to lift the wheel over obstacles or off small drops, I suspect this is more to do with the 29inch wheels than anything else. Head angle feels perfect for trail riding, not too slack on the flat but not too steep for sharp descents.

Climbing – So far predominately short technical climbs, I have been super impressed with the performance here, the bike has heaps of traction, does not seem to lose momentum when hitting roots and rocks whilst climbing and somewhat surprisingly for me seems to accelerate well even if you approach the climb slowly then need to accelerate on the climb. It doesn’t seem to bob much when climbing out of the saddle. Haven’t done any real long climbs yet. One thing I really like is how the front wheel tracks on steep climbs, it stays well weighted even on the steepest climbs I could probably ride up, not getting light and wandering at all.
    Descending – Not enough of this so far unfortunately, reasonably flat trails. One reasonable descent pretty rocky, the bike handled it with no fuss, the backend just seemed to soak it all up, front fork felt a little firm this may be some initial stiction due to newness as it was less apparent on later rides but they were less rocky. So far seems to change direction and track well at slow and medium speed descents, no high speed descents to date

Rear Suspension– Really nice, it just works so well you don’t even think about it while you’re riding. It doesn’t get hung up on square edged bumps (big difference to the Teocali) and seems to really keep momentum even when it’s very rough. I’m using about 90% of the travel with 25% sag and I haven’t ridden off anything bigger than about a foot high, although my basic understanding with progressive suspension designs is the spring rate will ramp up towards the end of the stroke so maybe this will be ok. From a feel perspective I see no reason to increase the air pressure to increase the spring rate and compression damping feels fine, if it had slow speed compression damping I might add a couple of clicks but for now I’ll leave it and see what it does when I find some bigger drops. I have been riding with the shock in the open position, I may have a play around with it in the pedal position. The lock position in comparison to other shocks I have used still allows quite a bit of movement, I would prefer a more solid lockout as I use this setting on the road to and from the trails but this isn’t a big problem for me.

Front Suspension – Massive change from my old 2008 Revelations which were very noodly in comparison. The pikes are pretty well known so I don’t think I can add a lot here. I am running the recommended pressure for my weight but the spring rate feels a little stiff and I’m not using probably enough of the travel. I am going to give them another couple of rides to fully bed in before I start tweaking them though.

Fit and Finish – I haven’t had time to examine the bike from every angle with a fine tooth comb yet but what I have seen seems really top class with high attention to detail. The bike was packaged really well with a strong box and I would be confident even if shipping a long distance that the bike would arrive undamaged, assembly was straight forward with good instructions. Derailleur adjustment was spot on out of the box, I had to recenter the brake calipers on the disks though.

Components – not a lot to say here spec is pretty much spot on. I love the 1x11 coming from a 3x9. Love the dropper post although I need to remember to use at the right time, this will take some practice as it’s the first time I’ve had one. One thing I don’t like about the reverb is it tops out with a small clunk when extending to full height, not sure how common this is? My only complaint would be the guide brakes model specced don’t have bite point adjustment and the bite point is closer to the bars than I like but this is a personal thing and after a couple of rides I don’t notice it anyway, for the price of the bike I can’t really complain about this.

Hope this helps, I'll try and post an update once I have a few more kms on the bike and have ridden some more varied terrain.

Ben

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Hey there!
    Can any of you share some insight on the sizing?
    Right now I am currently in a dilemma whether to buy an M or L Jeffsy al comp 2.
    I am 176cm tall. My only real life reference is a Specialized Stumpy FSR 29 size M which felt very comfortable , having a smaller reach than the Jeffsy M, namely 417mm versus 425mm.
    Any info and/or thought is appreciated!
    Thanks a lot!

mtbr member
    May 2016
    @beeno76, thank you for the review. Which build are you reviewing?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Good question, mine is the AL Comp 1

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    FINALLY, my Jeff is here!

Going to ride it tomorrow, meanwhile need more sleep ))))))))

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by benno76 View Post
    Here is my review.
    Some background on me.
    I am an intermediate mountain biker of about average fitness, I have been riding mountain bikes for over 20 years, I also ride downhill. I prefer going down to going up but definitely wanted a ‘trail’ bike over enduro. Most of the last 9 years I have been riding a Mongoose Teocali 26inch, last year for about 2 months in July August I was riding a 2012 Ibis Mojo 26inch borrowed from a friend.

Since September I’ve only done 2 days of downhilling so I am pretty rusty. I have also recently moved to Stockholm and have never ridden any of the trails before. So in terms of a subjective review I am about as far from that as you can get but here we go anyway.

I have had the bike 3 weeks now, unfortunately travel with work and 2 small kids has limited my riding so far but I have a total 36 km on the bike over 4 rides, including a short ‘shakedown’ ride after assembling the bike
    18 km super techy rock and root, no big hills
    10km more general trail, mix of dirt, root and rock, some super techy sections but mostly standard trails, not much high speed flowing trail, no big hills
    8km gravel paths

Sizing – I am 178cm and about 82kg which is on the absolute low end of the size large. I have only ever ridden medium sized mountain bikes but I went with YTs sizing guidance of a large anyway, the difference in wheelbase between the large and medium is 24mm, the large has a 60mm stem and the medium a 55mm so I reckon I can swap out to a 50mm stem later if size is an issue. So far the bike feels perfect for sizing, really comfortable fit so I do not see any need for a shorter stem at this stage and I am happy with my size choice.

Handling – This is the area I was most worried about in tight technical trails, due to moving to a large size frame and 29 inch wheels. As you can see from my rides to date there has been a lot of tight technical riding, tight corners, sudden direction changes, maneuvering between big roots and rocks and so far I am really happy with the handling in this terrain, not once have I thought that the bike has felt hard to maneuver or slow to respond. Weight feels pretty good on the trails, it’s lighter than my Teocali but heavier than the Mojo. As other people have commented it really does seem to bunny hop well or ‘pop’ off of things. One thing I have found is it seems to take quite a bit more effort to lift the wheel over obstacles or off small drops, I suspect this is more to do with the 29inch wheels than anything else. Head angle feels perfect for trail riding, not too slack on the flat but not too steep for sharp descents.

Climbing – So far predominately short technical climbs, I have been super impressed with the performance here, the bike has heaps of traction, does not seem to lose momentum when hitting roots and rocks whilst climbing and somewhat surprisingly for me seems to accelerate well even if you approach the climb slowly then need to accelerate on the climb. It doesn’t seem to bob much when climbing out of the saddle. Haven’t done any real long climbs yet. One thing I really like is how the front wheel tracks on steep climbs, it stays well weighted even on the steepest climbs I could probably ride up, not getting light and wandering at all.
    Descending – Not enough of this so far unfortunately, reasonably flat trails. One reasonable descent pretty rocky, the bike handled it with no fuss, the backend just seemed to soak it all up, front fork felt a little firm this may be some initial stiction due to newness as it was less apparent on later rides but they were less rocky. So far seems to change direction and track well at slow and medium speed descents, no high speed descents to date

Rear Suspension– Really nice, it just works so well you don’t even think about it while you’re riding. It doesn’t get hung up on square edged bumps (big difference to the Teocali) and seems to really keep momentum even when it’s very rough. I’m using about 90% of the travel with 25% sag and I haven’t ridden off anything bigger than about a foot high, although my basic understanding with progressive suspension designs is the spring rate will ramp up towards the end of the stroke so maybe this will be ok. From a feel perspective I see no reason to increase the air pressure to increase the spring rate and compression damping feels fine, if it had slow speed compression damping I might add a couple of clicks but for now I’ll leave it and see what it does when I find some bigger drops. I have been riding with the shock in the open position, I may have a play around with it in the pedal position. The lock position in comparison to other shocks I have used still allows quite a bit of movement, I would prefer a more solid lockout as I use this setting on the road to and from the trails but this isn’t a big problem for me.

Front Suspension – Massive change from my old 2008 Revelations which were very noodly in comparison. The pikes are pretty well known so I don’t think I can add a lot here. I am running the recommended pressure for my weight but the spring rate feels a little stiff and I’m not using probably enough of the travel. I am going to give them another couple of rides to fully bed in before I start tweaking them though.

Fit and Finish – I haven’t had time to examine the bike from every angle with a fine tooth comb yet but what I have seen seems really top class with high attention to detail. The bike was packaged really well with a strong box and I would be confident even if shipping a long distance that the bike would arrive undamaged, assembly was straight forward with good instructions. Derailleur adjustment was spot on out of the box, I had to recenter the brake calipers on the disks though.

Components – not a lot to say here spec is pretty much spot on. I love the 1x11 coming from a 3x9. Love the dropper post although I need to remember to use at the right time, this will take some practice as it’s the first time I’ve had one. One thing I don’t like about the reverb is it tops out with a small clunk when extending to full height, not sure how common this is? My only complaint would be the guide brakes model specced don’t have bite point adjustment and the bite point is closer to the bars than I like but this is a personal thing and after a couple of rides I don’t notice it anyway, for the price of the bike I can’t really complain about this.

Hope this helps, I'll try and post an update once I have a few more kms on the bike and have ridden some more varied terrain.

Ben
    Hi Ben

You're about the same height as me, I'm worried about the seattube length, whats your inseam?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    My inseam is 84cm. I have the reverb set as low as it will go in the frame and at full extension it is perfect for spinning on the road or flat track. So far I haven't used it all the way compressesed but it seems more than low enough for anything I would tackle with this bike

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    My inseam is 84cm. I have the reverb set as low as it will go in the frame and at full extension it is perfect for spinning on the road or flat track. So far I haven't used it all the way compressesed but it seems more than low enough for anything I would tackle with this bike
    Are you quoting inseam with shoes on or bare feet, as I sat on a large and had 20mm seat post showing and I have 83cm inseam, barefoot

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Are you quoting inseam with shoes on or bare feet, as I sat on a large and had 20mm seat post showing and I have 83cm inseam, barefoot
    Actually alan is right the correct way is barefoot. I for instance with my 85cm inseam need for correct pedaling a bb-saddle height of about 75cm (inseam x 0.883) which for me works perfectly. This measurement determines how much of the dropper's lower tube will be extended above the seat tube.

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Cristescu View Post
    Hey there!
    Can any of you share some insight on the sizing?
    Right now I am currently in a dilemma whether to buy an M or L Jeffsy al comp 2.
    I am 176cm tall. My only real life reference is a Specialized Stumpy FSR 29 size M which felt very comfortable , having a smaller reach than the Jeffsy M, namely 417mm versus 425mm.
    Any info and/or thought is appreciated!
    Thanks a lot!
    I'm the same height, went Medium. Fits perfect on the tight end, but I wouldn't want to go Large.

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    For future size reference - 176 height, 78 inseam - went Medium, feels perfect. I'd say the inseam is more important for sizing, than just height.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2016
    your review was most helpful. can you please tell me when you have your reverb fully extended what is your bb-saddle height? just curious cause we have almost the same inseam

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Anybody who rode both a Transition Smuggler and a Jeffsy and can comment on how they compare?
    Wondering the same thing....anyone?

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    your review was most helpful. can you please tell me when you have your reverb fully extended what is your bb-saddle height? just curious cause we have almost the same inseam
    I got the same dilemma. Height 177 cm, inseam 83.5 cm.

YT told me that on the jeffsy L if you
    - extend the reverb fully
    - seatpost all the way in
    - measure from top of the saddle to the axle of the paddle you get 88 cm

An owner of a jeffsy L sent me the following infos.
    bb to top of saddle rails 72.5 cm

Anyone got their Jeffsy yet?-img_3101.jpgAnyone got their Jeffsy yet?-img_3102.jpg

as the original saddle of the jeffsy is rather flat and hard this measurement makes more sense, if you want to swap the saddle.

on my current bike:
    bb to top of saddle rails is 70.5 cm

so as far i can tell: if i want to go for the jeffsy L i would need a shorter reverb

so i think i'll go for the M.
    although the L is more like my current bike (kona abra cadabra 2013 in 18")

Name:  Screen_Shot_2016_07_13_at_20_53_49.png
Views: 4824
Size:  37.6 KB

but maybe the jeffsy in M will compensate the 29er wheels and give me a more agile ride ...

Thinking about going for a jeffsy M with a bit longer stem and push the saddle a bit backwards.

what do you think?

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    hm, makes me rethink my last post ...
    I think I need to sit on an L and M before I order the bike

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by soonup View Post
    I got the same dilemma. Height 177 cm, inseam 83.5 cm.

YT told me that on the jeffsy L if you
    - extend the reverb fully
    - seatpost all the way in
    - measure from top of the saddle to the axle of the paddle you get 88 cm

An owner of a jeffsy L sent me the following infos.
    bb to top of saddle rails 72.5 cm

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3101.JPG 
Views:	232 
Size:	111.5 KB 
ID:	1082201Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3102.JPG 
Views:	351 
Size:	184.7 KB 
ID:	1082202

as the original saddle of the jeffsy is rather flat and hard this measurement makes more sense, if you want to swap the saddle.

on my current bike:
    bb to top of saddle rails is 70.5 cm

so as far i can tell: if i want to go for the jeffsy L i would need a shorter reverb

so i think i'll go for the M.
    although the L is more like my current bike (kona abra cadabra 2013 in 18")

Name:  Screen_Shot_2016_07_13_at_20_53_49.png
Views: 4824
Size:  37.6 KB

but maybe the jeffsy in M will compensate the 29er wheels and give me a more agile ride ...

Thinking about going for a jeffsy M with a bit longer stem and push the saddle a bit backwards.

what do you think?
    well if they need 88cm from the top of the saddle to the pedal axle, assuming theyre right, now i got about 93cm so theres no problem considering that im 178 with 85 inseam. either way i think the photos aren't quite correct and thats because theres a guy in youtube who measures a cf comp large with the reverb all the way in and it shows 69cm check it out https://youtu.be/rCXzd0V3eBI at 1:15. other than that i don't know what else to believe and in YT's size chart your 177 is on the edge of the medium and mine 178 is from where the large starts and thats what they recommended me. anyway ive already backordered an al comp 1 so theres no point of messing with it anymore we'll see in 3 weeks time hopefully

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    hm, makes me rethink my last post ...
    I think I need to sit on an L and M before I order the bike
    I have ordered Medium, my son has one and it is a bit smaller than current bike, but I sat on a Large again and didn't feel quite as good as the med, had a 2 1/2 hour ride on a medium and manage all my local climbs, no prob that was my main concern, I like taking the steep techy climbs and worried the front wheel would lift as I had the saddle as far back as it can go, but didn't have any probs, I am 176cm 82.5 inseam,

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I have ordered Medium, my son has one and it is a bit smaller than current bike, but I sat on a Large again and didn't feel quite as good as the med, had a 2 1/2 hour ride on a medium and manage all my local climbs, no prob that was my main concern, I like taking the steep techy climbs and worried the front wheel would lift as I had the saddle as far back as it can go, but didn't have any probs, I am 176cm 82.5 inseam,
    sitting on the large did you had any problems with the reverb's length? did you had it all the way in to get the correct saddle height?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    sitting on the large did you had any problems with the reverb's length? did you had it all the way in to get the correct saddle height?
    Reverb had at least 20mm spare at the correct saddle height, my inseam is 82.5cm barefoot

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Reverb had at least 20mm spare at the correct saddle height, my inseam is 82.5cm barefoot
    thanks man. which means that on the medium you had it about 50mm out or so? didn't the shorter reach feel a little cramped? considering that it has 592mm top tube and 50mm stem only?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    thanks man. which means that on the medium you had it about 50mm out or so? didn't the shorter reach feel a little cramped? considering that it has 592mm top tube and 50mm stem only?
    I just like the way the medium feels, I am coming from a large transition scout with a 614 top tube and 457 reach, but I had seat fully forward on that an a 40mm stem and it felt brilliant, wheelbase was the same as large Jeffsy, I also have a large Mojo HD3 620 toptube 430 reach although I fitted an angleset so reach is down to 425 ish, The large jeffsy for me just felt to big, medium with the seat back and stem slammed feels good.
    I really liked the longer reach on the scout so kinda confusing myself with the jeffsy, also been playing about on the the lads medium Capra and it feels great. Hey ho I swap frames like socks, just like trying new bikes this time I am going for what feels playful to me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    If I had tried the Large with a 40mm stem and no spacers might have made a different choice, but there is a limit to what you can ask a stranger when trying there bike for size

mtbr member
    May 2016
    If I had tried the Large with a 40mm stem and no spacers might have made a different choice, but there is a limit to what you can ask a stranger when trying there bike for size
    actually youre very lucky having someone let you try his bike...but anyway probably from what youve riden i assume that a large with a shorter stem would suit you best. but as you said "what feels playful"it all comes to that

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    actually youre very lucky having someone let you try his bike...but anyway probably from what youve riden i assume that a large with a shorter stem would suit you best. but as you said "what feels playful"it all comes to that
    The other thing for me was the overall length of the bike, although the medium has a short wheelbase due to the bigger wheels it just feels right, the large left me feeling a bit detached, the medium I feel in the bike strangely enough, I tried a medium Banshee Phantom couple of years back and that was about the most fun bike I have ridden just needed that little bit more travel

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    How high is you saddle? (top of the saddle rails to the top of the saddle)
    with my 177cm height and 83.5 i should fit on the L then ...

I definitly have to sit on a jeffsy L bevor I order one ...

thanks,
    Klaus

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    How high is you saddle? (top of the saddle rails to the top of the saddle)
    with my 177cm height and 83.5 i should fit on the L then ...

I definitly have to sit on a jeffsy L bevor I order one ...

thanks,
    Klaus
    It's 4.5 cm from rails to top of saddle SDG belair, you would definitely fit L at your size just depends if you want a short or slightly longer wheelbase, the YT boys at Fort bill Demo reckoned I could ride either, just decided to try a smaller bike this time

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    So I took some more measurements below, this is the first large sized mountain bike I have owned, always been mediums before but I have never felt the bike to be too big and I am riding mainly tight techy single trail. Anyway hope this helps
    Height 178cm
    My inseam, barefoot 83.5cm
    Remaining Reverb post showing, approx 10mm (a note on this, at current full extension of the reverb I can only just touch my toes on flat ground with suspension set up at 20% sag, I wouldn't run my seat this high on a fixed seat post but can get away with it with a dropper and personally I find this height gives me best pedal efficiency)
    Anyone got their Jeffsy yet?-reverb-seating.jpg

BB to top of saddle measurement, camera angle is a little skewed but I have this as 72cm

Anyone got their Jeffsy yet?-measurement-2-bottom.jpg

Anyone got their Jeffsy yet?-measurement-2-top.jpg

BB to saddle rail measurement, again camera angle is a little skewed but I have this as 70cm

Anyone got their Jeffsy yet?-measurement1-top.jpg

Anyone got their Jeffsy yet?-measurement-1-bottom.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Please try and sit on a bike before buying I have 82.5 inseam barefoot, but on a large Jeffsy had 20mm seatpost showing benno76 has longer inseam and less post showing, so a lot depends on how high you like your seat in relation to the pedals, I ride quite high compared to benno76

buz
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Hi there, I'm trying to decide between the Jeffsy CF Pro and Comp 1. I like large tires and want to be compatible with larger ones such as 2.6'' in the front. The tire clearance in the rear is apparently quite good on the Jeffsy.

My question is: is tire clearance higher on the Fox 34 or on the Pike? Does anyone know?

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Please try and sit on a bike before buying I have 82.5 inseam barefoot, but on a large Jeffsy had 20mm seatpost showing benno76 has longer inseam and less post showing, so a lot depends on how high you like your seat in relation to the pedals, I ride quite high compared to benno76
    i suppose the classic measurement would be to seat on the saddle heel on the pedal and foot fully extended. the correct height would be to not be able to stand of the saddle. at least thats how i do it

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Yeh I am the same , also quiet flexible from a lot of road riding

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    So I took some more measurements below, this is the first large sized mountain bike I have owned, always been mediums before but I have never felt the bike to be too big and I am riding mainly tight techy single trail. Anyway hope this helps
    Height 178cm
    My inseam, barefoot 83.5cm
    Remaining Reverb post showing, approx 10mm (a note on this, at current full extension of the reverb I can only just touch my toes on flat ground with suspension set up at 20% sag, I wouldn't run my seat this high on a fixed seat post but can get away with it with a dropper and personally I find this height gives me best pedal efficiency)

Name:	Reverb Seating.jpg 
Views:	345 
Size:	147.4 KB 
ID:	1082414

BB to top of saddle measurement, camera angle is a little skewed but I have this as 72cm

Name:	Measurement 2 Bottom.jpg 
Views:	365 
Size:	196.6 KB 
ID:	1082410

Name:	Measurement 2 Top.jpg 
Views:	687 
Size:	162.8 KB 
ID:	1082411

BB to saddle rail measurement, again camera angle is a little skewed but I have this as 70cm

Name:	Measurement1 TOP.jpg 
Views:	402 
Size:	180.0 KB 
ID:	1082412

Name:	Measurement 1 Bottom.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	191.8 KB 
ID:	1082413
    Thanks a lot!
    Sat on a Jeffsy L yesterday. It fits

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Does anybody know the actual weight of the Jeffsy AL Comp 1 in L?
    thx

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Does anybody know the actual weight of the Jeffsy AL Comp 1 in L?
    thx
    i checked my confirmation email and the declared weight to DHL is 13,9kg for the bike only. when ill receive it next week ill check again with pedals.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Has anyone attempted 27.5+ on their Jeffsy? I know YT had stated it is incompatible, but they hadn't really provided why - just curious if anyone has tried.

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
    Has anyone attempted 27.5+ on their Jeffsy? I know YT had stated it is incompatible, but they hadn't really provided why - just curious if anyone has tried.
    Even if you swap the fork, the rear triangle will not clear 27.5+tires, not even close.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    How bout nn 2,8 on id 30 rim?

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    No chance, like at all.

Here how it looks with 2.4 Onza Ibex

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Yeeeaaah, I got mine! Ha ha really liking the bike - CF Pro. Component spec is great and I only have a few small niggles - the biggest would be that I wish the reverb lever was under the bar rather than over. Lots of sizing questions here, so I will say that I am 5'9.5", and went for a medium which feels great. I will likely cut the bars down 2cm to match what I have on my other bikes (Nomad, Bronson, and a 27.5 AM hardtail). I've been holding off on buying a 29er for a while because I really think that geometry is really critical to enjoyment, particularly going down. When I saw the Jeffsy I was very intrigued. Already have two Santa Cruz bikes and while the Hightower looks cool, I didn't want to have another bike that feels like a Santa Cruz. Bought the Jeffsy without riding it and without throwing a leg over a 29er in a few years. And yes the Jeffsy feels different compared to both of those other bikes and in a good way. Very supportive suspension which gives a great feeling of playfulness. I went off of sag and rebound recommendations from Fox and it is pretty much dialed. Nomad and the Bronson both feel more pillowy, whereas the Jeffsy definitely has a more 'taut' feeling. Have set a few PRs going down trails that I have ridden around 100 times on my Nomad - so yes fast going down. Pedaling efficiency seems great with shock in open position. I'm going to swap the Ibex to a 2.3" 3C DHF, and already have a minion SS in the rear. I don't totally hate the Ibex but the locals trails are at their sketchiest this time of year and I want a bit more traction. Anyways, super happy with the bike (and yes relieved after buying it sight unseen). Build quality is great.

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gate View Post
    I wish the reverb lever was under the bar rather than over.
    Just get this thing and forget about this unfortunate Reverb lever:

DeHy - complete kit - 20% off promotion | BikeYoke

Agreed about Ibexes, I decided to ride the shitte out of them, so I could swap them to Maxxis Shortys before winter comes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hi all, quick question.
    Has anyone checked whether another water bottle holder will work rather than being forced to buy the $100 proprietary YT one?
    Was wondering if my Specialized side load would work with a 600ml bottle.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I'm tempted by an XL. Just found out that the top of the saddle to the pedal axle is 940mm with the reverb at full extension but slammed into the frame.

Can anyone with a Jeffsy double check that measurement for me pls?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ownerofdog View Post
    Hi all, quick question.
    Has anyone checked whether another water bottle holder will work rather than being forced to buy the $100 proprietary YT one?
    Cheers
    The right cage may barely fit this smaller bottle (specialized). I tried a Lezyne side load cage which I already have, and it does not fit. I don't know if such a cage exists. It would have to add almost zero width between the bottle and the frame.

Anyone got their Jeffsy yet?-img_8678.jpgAnyone got their Jeffsy yet?-img_8690.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrNug View Post
    I'm tempted by an XL. Just found out that the top of the saddle to the pedal axle is 940mm with the reverb at full extension but slammed into the frame.

Can anyone with a Jeffsy double check that measurement for me pls?

Thanks!
    Yeah, can confirm that. My saddle is at 960mm from pedal axle, got my reverb about 15mm extended from post.

Regards,

Timo

2016 YT Jeffsy AL comp2
    2017 Surly Karate Monkey

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by omiTimo View Post
    Yeah, can confirm that. My saddle is at 960mm from pedal axle, got my reverb about 15mm extended from post.
    Great, thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Hi all, quick question.

Cheers
    I went through this thought process and considered the specialized side load cage as well. In the end I bought the YT kit.
    Looking at it now fitted I think it will be a challenge to get any other setup to fit, you need to find cage to fit and you will need to find a short bottle as well. For cage fitting you need to take into account routing of the two cables that run down the frame and then curve up near the bottom, there didn't seem to be much give in the cables to move them around much. This makes a small space even tighter, as you can't have the bottle go all the way down to the seat tube if that makes sense. I do think the kit is high quality, the water bottles are made of good quality plastic with the one way valves in the nozzles which personally I prefer and typically increase the price over standard water bottles (I use camelbak water bottles with a similar nozzle on my other bikes which are more expensive than a basic water bottle).
    Does this make the kit 'great value' no but it does make it better value than it first appeared to me, yes, but then value is subjective. Interestingly the price I paid for the kit in Europe converts to $56 USD not $100 USD.
    I've included a few photos anyway that may help you with your decision either way.
    Anyone got their Jeffsy yet?-20160809_095635.jpg

Anyone got their Jeffsy yet?-20160810_090057.jpg

Anyone got their Jeffsy yet?-waterbottlepic4.jpg

Anyone got their Jeffsy yet?-waterbottlepic2.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I think the bottles is quite bad. When the bottle is so low on the frame it gets very dirty. There is a big hole in the nozzle. Half of my rides I have got mud in the hole.

The bottles also leaks in the nozzles so you have to put the whole nozzle in your mouth. Not so nice when the outside is full of mud.

Have a lot of bottles, most of them free with ads on. None of them leaks in the nozzle. Think that YT should redesign the bottles, only bad thing on a great bike!
    Last edited by magnil; 08-13-2016 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Spelling

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks for the replies on this. As much as I love the look and idea of owning a Jeffsy, I just can't get past the proprietary bottle.

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    Thanks for the replies on this. As much as I love the look and idea of owning a Jeffsy, I just can't get past the proprietary bottle.
    You know that you don't have to buy the bottle, right? It's not obligatory.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    It is if I don't want to dehydrate.
    Don't want to loose the option of not having to ride with the camelbak every ride.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    I just ordered my Jeffsy AL Comp 2....it is supposed to be in stock and since I am in Germany, I hope it arrives next week

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Magnussen over on Pinkbike states...
    I have solved the issue with fitting a bottle and cage ( Did not order the Thirstmaster ) --
    using this cage:
    Flaskeholder sidemontering 48 gram - Drikkedunk, vandflasker & holdere til cykler - thansen.dk

And this bottle:
    High5 Drikkeflaske 500ml klar H5

It works perfect, no drop issue...

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    hi guys,
    i ordered my JEFFSY CF Pro XL in june, the delivery was scheduled from 17th august and now they write me that it takes 2 weeks more...i am very deluded, i think it isn't right to provide product with the value changes annualy (like a bike) in september, when the ride season is at the end

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    As much as it's frustrating and irritating, it is a small company after all, that produces amazing bikes with overwhelming demand - no wonder they can't keep up with the shipping dates.

But trust me, after you get your bike - you'll love it. )))))

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    yes i believe you and i understand their difficulties, but i am the customer and this is my point of view.
    anyway you are right, i can't wait anymore to ride my jeffsy

I received mine yesterday

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Congrats Crisillo. What size is that and how tall are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Danish Dynamite View Post
    Congrats Crisillo. What size is that and how tall are you?

Thanks, Danish Dynamite!

It is an L, I'm 5'11" (1.81m) (85 cm inseam) The 150mm Reverb fits precisely at my pedal length slammed in. That was a close call :P

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo View Post
    Thanks, Danish Dynamite!

It is an L, I'm 5'11" (1.81m) (85 cm inseam) The 150mm Reverb fits precisely at my pedal length slammed in. That was a close call :P
    So how is it? Any first ride reviews? Can you post a close up photo or YouTube video link to how the flip switch works for changing the geometry? Which version did you get?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by matrix311 View Post
    So how is it? Any first ride reviews? Can you post a close up photo or YouTube video link to how the flip switch works for changing the geometry? Which version did you get?

I only had a 3 hour ride on Saturday. The first impression is really, really good. I haven't messed with the flip switch, but it seems you just take out the screw flip it around and put the screw back in.

Mine is Jeffsy AL Comp 2

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm really interested to hear about pedaling efficiency or lack thereof . I've never really liked horst link suspension in the past but it's been a few years since I've ridden one.

Also any comparison to the evil following would be appreciated as well!

Quote Originally Posted by rusty904 View Post
    I'm really interested to hear about pedaling efficiency or lack thereof . I've never really liked horst link suspension in the past but it's been a few years since I've ridden one.

Also any comparison to the evil following would be appreciated as well!
    I've found it to be really good. I don't expect it not to move when fully open, but the movement was really controlled, and with the platform engaged then it was super stable.

It's a little monster truck, it climbs over roots like it's nobody's business

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Cool, sure wish there was a frame only option! Also wish they maintained the 335mm chainstays across all sizes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I'm in debates with myself and can't decide which bike to get. Pondering the jeffsy cf comp 1 or the pivot switchblade in 29er format with the xt/Xtr build and alloy wheels. Thoughts? I currently have a 2014 stumpjumper fsr full suspension. I'm curious to try a new suspension setup since the yt suspension is nearly identical to specialized fsr. Thoughts on pivot switchblade vs yt jeffsy?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Got mine two weeks ago. CF Comp 1. Swapped 32t ring for oval 30t (socal), swapping out bars for NEXT bars, adding 150 mm air shaft to pike this week, and possibly getting the shock tuned by Avalanche soon.

First impressions: Climbs like my XC bike, descends very well. Suspension is very progressive and very playfull off small jumps. Main issue I am having is that the shock is harsh on small bumps at speed in full open.

Anyone got their Jeffsy yet?-img_1813.1.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    More time on it, it is a goldilocks bike. Climbs like an XC bike, descends like a bat out of hell. I've got the fork feeling great now (8 clicks from full fast rebound, 8 clicks LSC in from full fast) and the addition of carbon bars help a lot with hand fatigue. Did a 5k foot shuttle run today and its faster than my 160mm bike and loves to get airborne.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Ordered my Jeffsy AL Comp 1 on the 4th, and it came in today. Got it built up, and did a very short ride to check settings, and bed in the brakes. So far, very impressed with the feel of the Jeffsy. While its noticeably heavier than the bike i'm coming from, it rides like its lighter. I'm 5'8" and got the medium. I had to slam the seatpost to get my correct distance from seat to pedal when the post is at full extension. I didn't expect that, considering 5'8" is the line between medium and large. All the components came perfectly set up, and the only adjustment I had to make was to the air pressures of the suspension for my weight. I cannot wait until this weekend so I can take it on a real ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone got their Jeffsy yet?-img_3012.jpg  

mtbr member
    Lots to like about this bike, but also a few items I hope YT fixes next refresh:

- keep the shorter CS in the larger sizes that's a deal breaker for me. Last thing I want in a longer bike is an even longer rear centre.
    - move the shock higher under the TT that we can fit a full size water bottle.
    - offer a frame/shock only option.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by malicefox View Post
    Ordered my Jeffsy AL Comp 1 on the 4th, and it came in today. Got it built up, and did a very short ride to check settings, and bed in the brakes. So far, very impressed with the feel of the Jeffsy. While its noticeably heavier than the bike i'm coming from, it rides like its lighter. I'm 5'8" and got the medium. I had to slam the seatpost to get my correct distance from seat to pedal when the post is at full extension. I didn't expect that, considering 5'8" is the line between medium and large. All the components came perfectly set up, and the only adjustment I had to make was to the air pressures of the suspension for my weight. I cannot wait until this weekend so I can take it on a real ride.
    Great choice! Hope you love it

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Whats the waiting list for new YT Jeffsy??? In australia...everything sold out!

My happy, muddy Jeffsy today

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by alex345 View Post
    ... Climbs like an XC bike, descends like a bat out of hell.... Did a 5k foot shuttle run today and its faster than my 160mm bike and loves to get airborne.
    Reading reviews like this make me rethink my idea of replacing my XC hardtail by a 27,5" all mountain fully like the new Giant Trance, Canyon Spectral or similar and rather go for the Jeffsy, despite the heavier weight of it (only got small budget, so no CF)... and the lowest scale Jeffsy AL is only 1700 € now. Or rather wait for the 2017 model and hope to get it with the new SLX...

mtbr member
    I'm 5'11 1/2" w/ 32 inseam... I have Gorilla-armis (height 181cm, wing span 195cm)...

Would the L or XL suit me better?

NB, reason I'm considering XL, is that in my stable I have an XL Transition Bandit 29 1.

T.I.A

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I think L might be your only option. I'm the same height but with 34" inseam, and I think I have less than 2" of the seat post showing. I considered the XL, but it might have been too tall for me with its seat tube length and the reverb. Of course if you change the reverb to a shorter one...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    L with a longer stem otherwise you'll be stuffed with the reverb on an XL.

mtbr member
    Think the 60mm stem is as long as I'd wanna go on a bike...

Another quick question...

Are the rims on the Al Comp 1, really only 22.5 I.W??

Seems a little narrow for 2.4 tyres on an Enduro/Trail machine.

(22.5 I.W only info I could find on the Spline rims)

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    Think the 60mm stem is as long as I'd wanna go on a bike...

Another quick question...

Are the rims on the Al Comp 1, really only 22.5 I.W??

Seems a little narrow for 2.4 tyres on an Enduro/Trail machine.

(22.5 I.W only info I could find on the Spline rims)
    yes and they are crap.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Du Rietz View Post
    yes and they are crap.
    i would agree with this to a point. They are not crap, but they are certainly the one spot i feel YT went a little cheap on the bike if I had to nit pick mine. They roll well, and have DT hubs which are great for servicing. Not really sure why the decision to go with the 22.5 IW rims on this build though. DT Swiss may recommend it (https://www.dtswiss.com/Technology/MTB-rim-width) but the majority of the industry seems to think ~30 IW is better for 2.4 and above. The only other thing I find odd about the Jeffsy is why they made the rear boost, but the front standard. Makes finding a wheelset a little harder having to get 2 standards

Outside of those two obersvances, this bike is awesome, and I have been really happy with it.

mtbr member
    Can the Jeffsy fit a big "normal" tire like a 2.4" Conti Trail King or a 2.5" Maxxis DHF [both about the same size]?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Bike comes with 2.4 ibex, I have fitted a 2.5 Minnion DHF WT on the front

mtbr member
    Bike comes with 2.4 ibex, I have fitted a 2.5 Minnion DHF WT on the front
    I'm not concerned about the front. You can stuff huge tires into modern forks. Can you fit the 2.5" DHF in the rear?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I'm not concerned about the front. You can stuff huge tires into modern forks. Can you fit the 2.5" DHF in the rear?
    Not tried but it is smaller than the 2.4 Ibex so shouldn't be a problem

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I measured the Ibex over 63mm from the widest knobs, I think no 2.4" or 2.5" tire is bigger than that.

mtbr member
    A question to the Jeffsy owners out there. How is climbing on this bike? A lot of pedal bob? I've had specialized, norco and titus Horst link bikes and they all were different. Norco did the best out of the bikes I owned. This bike is on my list along with the pivot switchblade and SC Hightower.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jdcatnau View Post
    A question to the Jeffsy owners out there. How is climbing on this bike? A lot of pedal bob? I've had specialized, norco and titus Horst link bikes and they all were different. Norco did the best out of the bikes I owned. This bike is on my list along with the pivot switchblade and SC Hightower.
    I have the AL Comp 1, so i can only speak for the model with the Rockshox RCT3 fork and shock but with both the fork and shock locked out, it climbs like a rigid. I did a brief bit of climbing with the suspension in the trail mode, and the amount of bob was negligible. I have not tried climbing with everything wide open. Locking the rear and leaving the front in trail climbs like an xc bike and is quite nice.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by malicefox View Post
    I have the AL Comp 1, so i can only speak for the model with the Rockshox RCT3 fork and shock but with both the fork and shock locked out, it climbs like a rigid. I did a brief bit of climbing with the suspension in the trail mode, and the amount of bob was negligible. I have not tried climbing with everything wide open. Locking the rear and leaving the front in trail climbs like an xc bike and is quite nice.
    So the bike has the typical Horst link feel where it needs some damping, to keep from bobbing.

I currently have a Giant Trance adv and ride in the open setting the entire time, small pedal bob but still pretty efficient. I demoed the pivot switchblade and left it open the entire time and came away impressed with the dw-link. Decisions, decisions. Great time to be a mountain biker.

mtbr member
    No jeffsy till April in the US.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jdcatnau View Post
    No jeffsy till April in the US.
    Can you further elaborate why? TIA
    d butt u kicked today, could b d same butt you'll kiss tomorrow.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeered1 View Post
    Can you further elaborate why? TIA

YT USA
    YT USA (YT USA)
    Nov 30, 12:36 PST

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for taking the time to write in, I'm happy to get you filled in on that stuff. We actually will not have any more Jeffsy bikes coming in for some time. They will be available for pre-order in February but we will not see any here until probably April.

At your height, I would lean towards a large if that is what you traditionally ride. While we do have two guys here your size, one rides a large and one rides a medium...most customers of your size run a large with no complaint.

Hope that helps man, thanks for reaching out.
    -Brad

mtbr member
    I just ordered a 2017 Jeffsy CF Pro Race in L, eagerly awaiting late April. It will be replacing a 2015 Turner Burner. Love Turner bikes and the DW Link, but I also love a well executed 4-bar. Turner no longer being made in the USA was the final push.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    "So you think it's the hat?... A lot of people hate this hat. It angers a lot of people, just the sight of it." - Uncle Buck

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Nice! But the YT website (USA) says the CF Pro Races are available 5/31/17? I just went to order a 2017 Jeffsy CF Pro Race in L but the USA YT website says "sold out". I emailed YT and they responded, "The bikes are in fact listed as "sold out" but that is a bit misleading. We should be getting more in stock by June but have not locked in a solid date with our builders yet. Once we have an arrival date, we will offer the bikes up for pre-order. " So I guess I'll just have to check back until they come back up...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by klivic View Post
    Nice! But the YT website (USA) says the CF Pro Races are available 5/31/17? I just went to order a 2017 Jeffsy CF Pro Race in L but the USA YT website says "sold out". I emailed YT and they responded, "The bikes are in fact listed as "sold out" but that is a bit misleading. We should be getting more in stock by June but have not locked in a solid date with our builders yet. Once we have an arrival date, we will offer the bikes up for pre-order. " So I guess I'll just have to check back until they come back up...
    Hey guys, i may be looking to get a Jeffsy and I noticed the same thing on the site. Many are sold out but some are still available. Do you know if they actually charge you when the bike ships or do you have to front the money and wait? Never ordered through YT before so wasn't sure.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by monts View Post
    Hey guys, i may be looking to get a Jeffsy and I noticed the same thing on the site. Many are sold out but some are still available. Do you know if they actually charge you when the bike ships or do you have to front the money and wait? Never ordered through YT before so wasn't sure.
    Hey brahseph...found out that "sold out" is misleading...they said they should have additional stock in all the bikes after the first wave arrives, so keep checking. Also you can select "pay by ETF (electronic bank transfer)" at check out and you won't get charged until the bike is ready for shipment. So you can essentially, "reserve" a bike. Makes me wonder how many of the "sold out" bikes won't actually be purchased by people who have essentially "reserved" them...

mtbr member
    Just put my order in for a Jeffsy Al One 27 M.
    Excited for it to get here, the next month is going to take forever.
    Fortunately there is still three feet of the white stuff out side that needs to melt.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by monts View Post
    Hi Monts – like others have said they put their bikes up on the site and once all have been “claimed” they get “sold out” until the next batch arrives. Think of it more as the bikes being on a pseudo-backorder. Not that I know what I’m talking about but it’s probably part of their business model not to overproduce bikes (like Trek, Spec, etc) and so then they’re sitting on a bunch of inventory but obviously don’t have the market share like Trek/Spec to move them efficiently.

Also…I called YT a few weeks ago and they told me that if I ordered a bike online and used the “bank transfer” option, this puts a hold on the bike and then you can settle up with them w/ a CC/bank transfer/whatever once the bike is ready to go. They send you an order number and everything This was great for me b/c I was still $500 short of what I needed and knew I wanted once of the new Jeffsy 27s.

Finally…again I think others mentioned this but I noticed the model I ordered was originally listed for late April shipment, but then the website showed late May shipment a couple weeks later. I queried YT and they said not to worry, my bike was still slated for late April. They had more or less sold out of that batch of Jeffsy’s and advertise the next batch to be ready by late May. Hope this helps. I agree their site doesn’t really communicate all of this very well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bear99 View Post
    Hi Monts – like others have said they put their bikes up on the site and once all have been “claimed” they get “sold out” until the next batch arrives. Think of it more as the bikes being on a pseudo-backorder. Not that I know what I’m talking about but it’s probably part of their business model not to overproduce bikes (like Trek, Spec, etc) and so then they’re sitting on a bunch of inventory but obviously don’t have the market share like Trek/Spec to move them efficiently.

Also…I called YT a few weeks ago and they told me that if I ordered a bike online and used the “bank transfer” option, this puts a hold on the bike and then you can settle up with them w/ a CC/bank transfer/whatever once the bike is ready to go. They send you an order number and everything This was great for me b/c I was still $500 short of what I needed and knew I wanted once of the new Jeffsy 27s.

Finally…again I think others mentioned this but I noticed the model I ordered was originally listed for late April shipment, but then the website showed late May shipment a couple weeks later. I queried YT and they said not to worry, my bike was still slated for late April. They had more or less sold out of that batch of Jeffsy’s and advertise the next batch to be ready by late May. Hope this helps. I agree their site doesn’t really communicate all of this very well.
    Just got an email from YT USA a few days ago that several 2017 models didn't make the first shipping date due to parts not arriving in time. Sounds like my Jeffsy 29 CF Pro Race won't be coming until late May/early June (as opposed to late April). Super bummed, but these things happen. YT did say that refund requests would be honored if those waiting for now delayed bikes wanted/needed to go that route. I'm waiting it out.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    "So you think it's the hat?... A lot of people hate this hat. It angers a lot of people, just the sight of it." - Uncle Buck

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Still building my bike up. 2017 Jeffsy Al1 29. I am about 5'11" with about a 33' inseam. The large fits perfect and I have about an inch to spare between the top of the seat tube and the color on the e thirteen dropper. Happy with the bike, now i just need to get a day on the trails to see what it can do.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Cage/Bottle combo that work on Jeffsy 27 - 2017 Size Medium

Anyone got their Jeffsy yet?-c42ebb34-1a63-4d1b-9912-6d2979a35091.jpg

Hey all,

I bought one of the 2017 Jeffsy AL Twos - Size Medium when they were on sale and I found one solution to th bottle cage issue. At least one that works for me!

I bought a Origin8 Alloy Klutch bottle cage and pairs it with a squatter, voluminous...... Nalgene! It’s the “pint” version of the narrow mouth and it fits great!

It’s not too bad getting it in and out. It’ll hold about 21 oz when completely full. The lack of a sport bottle cap means I have to unscrew it to drink, but it also means no mud in my drink haha

Just an option!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Bottle/Cage Combo that works

Hey All!

I bought one of the 2017 Jeffsy Al Two - Size Medium and figured out a solution for the bottle cage - at least one that works for me!

Origin8 Alloy Klutch cage + 16oz Nalgene narrow mouth.

This set up holds about 21 oz water. doesn't touch the frame/shock anywhere, and wont get dirt in you're low mounted bottle to enjoy on your next drink - but it does require you to unscrew to drink from, oh well.

A little different, but hey, thats 2/3 of a Liter of water off my back.

Anyone got their Jeffsy yet?-unnamed.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    very interesting, does you foot ever come into contact with the Nalgene, they are pretty wide.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyoffshore View Post
    very interesting, does you foot ever come into contact with the Nalgene, they are pretty wide.
    Nope - plenty clearance! It would have to be another inch out on
    each side to become noticeable.

Anyone got their Jeffsy yet?-db5efff2-9f61-43e1-8910-494cbb97bb06.jpgAnyone got their Jeffsy yet?-994d1823-19a2-402d-ba22-8ad6456fe654.jpg

Less talk, more ride...
    Mar 2010
    I got my Jeffsy, 29 CF Pro. Looking forward to getting it dialed in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone got their Jeffsy yet?-20180205_132456.jpg  

2018 YT Jeffsy CF Pro 29
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er
    2012 Specialized Roubaix Apex Compact

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doedrums View Post
    I got my Jeffsy, 29 CF Pro. Looking forward to getting it dialed in.
    Just ordered the exact model yesterday. Anxious to get it.

Less talk, more ride...
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan_daugherty View Post
    Awesome. It has been raining here off and on for almost two weeks. So, needless to say, I haven't been able to ride the Jeffsy yet.
    2018 YT Jeffsy CF Pro 29

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by akamish View Post
    Nope - plenty clearance! It would have to be another inch out on
    each side to become noticeable.

Name:	DB5EFFF2-9F61-43E1-8910-494CBB97BB06.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	153.0 KB 
ID:	1177807Click image for larger version. 

Name:	994D1823-19A2-402D-BA22-8AD6456FE654.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	180.2 KB 
ID:	1177808
    Does the Nalgene actually stay in there?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Mine showed up yesterday. I took it out for its maiden voyage and it's awesome. Already cleared some obstacles and did some ramp decents I wouldn't have tried with my old 26" Cannondale.

Anyone got their Jeffsy yet?-img_8390.jpg

The Jeffsy dwarfs the Cannondale Rush

Anyone got their Jeffsy yet?-img_8393.jpg
    2018 YT Jeffsy AL 29
    2005 Felt F75 (roadie)
    1993 Specialized Stumpjumper FS (bar hopper)

Less talk, more ride...
    Mar 2010
    I finally had a chance to take the Jeffsy out on the trails. Great bike. My last bike was a 2x10 with 22, 36 in the front and a 10-36 cassette. So, not having those ultra low granny gears was a little weird but I think I can get used to it. At least it will make me a bit stronger and if it doesn't, then a 30 tooth ring will be in my future.
    Anyone got their Jeffsy yet?-20180216_122355.jpg
    2018 YT Jeffsy CF Pro 29

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Deciding between the Jeffsy 27 CF Pro and the 29 Pro. A 160" travel 27.5 verses a 140" 29er must ride pretty deferentially.
    [COLOR="Black"]HARDMTNBIKER on Instagram

Seven Sola SLX ENVE MTN SS
    Sir9 Carbon Niner SS
    #1gearallyear #Iridemtn

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I am also considering the basic AL 29 build Black and Blue. Appears to be spec'd out nicely and for everything else out there such as the Norco Sight AL, Santa Cruz Tallboy, Kona Hei Hei, etc they cannot touch it on specs for the pricing. Jeffsy AL 29 would be well under $2500 with Shipping ($99) and taxes included.

I do have some questions though

1. I'm a clydesdale rider and while my conversations with YT have been very reassuring about the bike handling my weight I was curious about any other larger riders (i'm 300 lbs) needing to tune their suspension with the addition of volume spacers in either the front fork (for the AL 29 it has the Fox 34 Rhythm and DPS rear shock).

2. Raceface Pressfit Bottom Bracket. I mainly will be riding when its dry outside and wont really be making it a point to ride in the mud and grit. In this case will I have issues with creaking in the BB? For those that have had creaking or failure what brands have you replaced them with where you no longer have any problems?

Still narrowing down my choices. I'm looking at 29r hardtails and 27.5+ hardtails as well as a Norco Sight A3

Jon

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiker74 View Post
    I am also considering the basic AL 29 build Black and Blue. Appears to be spec'd out nicely and for everything else out there such as the Norco Sight AL, Santa Cruz Tallboy, Kona Hei Hei, etc they cannot touch it on specs for the pricing. Jeffsy AL 29 would be well under $2500 with Shipping ($99) and taxes included.

I do have some questions though

1. I'm a clydesdale rider and while my conversations with YT have been very reassuring about the bike handling my weight I was curious about any other larger riders (i'm 300 lbs) needing to tune their suspension with the addition of volume spacers in either the front fork (for the AL 29 it has the Fox 34 Rhythm and DPS rear shock).

2. Raceface Pressfit Bottom Bracket. I mainly will be riding when its dry outside and wont really be making it a point to ride in the mud and grit. In this case will I have issues with creaking in the BB? For those that have had creaking or failure what brands have you replaced them with where you no longer have any problems?

Still narrowing down my choices. I'm looking at 29r hardtails and 27.5+ hardtails as well as a Norco Sight A3

Jon
    No taxes... mine was 2398ish out the door

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Seems odd when they are saying theres a $99 shipping charge as well as they've stated that I would need to pay sales tax. Maybe they are now charging taxes because the new operation is in California and no longer Utah. California is kinda goofy on taxes
    Last edited by Hiker74; 03-02-2018 at 02:25 PM. Reason: new info

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Seems odd when they are saying theres a $99 shipping charge as well as they've stated that I would need to pay sales tax
    Not sure! I paid no taxes. I was surprised by it. Bought mine two weeks ago.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    No sales tax outside CA. I bought the pedals too and $99 shipping. There's no such thing as free shipping. If they called it free shipping, the bike would cost $99 more dollars.
    2018 YT Jeffsy AL 29
    2005 Felt F75 (roadie)

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I ordered a large Jeffsy 29 CF Pro on 2/21 with an anticipated ship date of 3/21 (if I remember right, within a day or two of that at least). Have people been finding YT's estimated ship dates when placing the order to be accurate? I'm hoping my initial 1 month wait doesn't turn into anything much longer than that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    If I get a Jeffsy i'd like a local bike shop to help me with suspension setup etc. Does anyone have any experience with the whole direct sales bikes and taking them to a LBS for service. Did anyone have any weird confrontational stories about not buying from the LBS? I had one interesting chat conversation with a LBS person and they said YT did not contribute to the local riding scene, donate to IMBA, help do trail maintenance, and also they were not a USA based company. I don't know why this stuff bugs me, but I was curious. Also it appears that the franchise mobile bike repair companies seem to be owned by local bike shops or I would just use one of them.
    Jon

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    If I get a Jeffsy i'd like a local bike shop to help me with suspension setup etc. Does anyone have any experience with the whole direct sales bikes and taking them to a LBS for service. Did anyone have any weird confrontational stories about not buying from the LBS? I had one interesting chat conversation with a LBS person and they said YT did not contribute to the local riding scene, donate to IMBA, help do trail maintenance, and also they were not a USA based company. I don't know why this stuff bugs me, but I was curious. Also it appears that the franchise mobile bike repair companies seem to be owned by local bike shops or I would just use one of them.
    Jon
    Any LBS worth their salt would help out. The future of the market is trending towards consumer direct. It already is, and will be a huge player in the game. Saying no to money is a terrible business move.

Quote Originally Posted by Giant413 View Post
    I ordered a large Jeffsy 29 CF Pro on 2/21 with an anticipated ship date of 3/21 (if I remember right, within a day or two of that at least). Have people been finding YT's estimated ship dates when placing the order to be accurate? I'm hoping my initial 1 month wait doesn't turn into anything much longer than that.
    I received both of my YTs before the estimated ship date. Maybe I just got lucky... both times

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo View Post
    I received both of my YTs before the estimated ship date. Maybe I just got lucky... both times
    Music to my ears. Hopefully I get lucky too!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Giant413 View Post
    I ordered mine on 2/15, and they were out of stock until 2/28. Then the container got stuck in customs until 3/6. Shipping to me today. I’m sure that the container doesn’t usually get stuck. They have been very responsive to my status inquiries.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    double post...
    Last edited by zimm; 03-13-2018 at 08:54 AM.
    2018 YT Jeffsy AL 29
    2005 Felt F75 (roadie)

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Jon
    I wouldn't dare walk a YT into a LBS looking for set up advice. You sound like you need a LBS bike with full support.

Having said that, the Fox website has all the set information for the fork and shock. The bike comes with a shock pump. Pretty easy to measure the sag with the o-ring and tape measure, add or remove air until you get it. Then look in the chart and set the rebound as specified. Took maybe 45 mins of playing around with it to set up.

If you're a do-it-yourselfer, the direct sales works great. I get to save money and I do all my own work. My bikes don't go back to the shop I bought them from. When I ever have, I got ripped off on the repair bills. If you like to bring your bike in for service like a car, then buy a bike from your LBS and support them.
    2018 YT Jeffsy AL 29
    2005 Felt F75 (roadie)

mtbr member
    This is not meant to harp on you Zimm.

I don't own, or work in an LBS, but at some point here this "Don't bring that direct sale bike in this building!" attitude has to stop. Travis Engle of Bike said similar on their Bible of the Bike review saying if you bring this bike to a shop, bring them beer and cookies. I call BS. Money isn't good enough? There's nothing special about a local bike business. Adapt or die, just like every other business and industry. It's the same reason people don't read magazines the way they used to, don't buy CDs the way they used to, etc.

If you own an LBS and someone brings in a bike they didn't buy there, and they have a fist full of cash, do you turn them away? No. But you'd turn them away for bringing in a direct bike with that same fist full of cash? What if someone shows up on an organized shop ride on a direct bike? Do you tell them they're not welcome to ride?

You can actually buy a Giant bike directly from their website, and have them ship it to you. What if you took that bike into your LBS that sells Giant bikes. Should they ask you where you bought it, and turn you away if you answered "directly from Giant"?

Now, if someone is looking for free advice, that's another story all together.

Still, anyone buying a bike like this has to know going in that part of the deal is to be able to at least work on the bike some yourself, or be ready to pay an LBS for assistance, just like you would any other bike.

Buying direct is a trend that isn't going to go away. If LBS are going to turn people away who own bikes they bought direct, some LBS is going to welcome that business, and thrive by doing so.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Rider51 View Post
    This is not meant to harp on you Zimm.
    Now, if someone is looking for free advice, that's another story all together.
    That's what I was assuming. That the poster wants to wheel a YT into the shop and "ask" set up advice. Now if you are going to schedule and pay for service, then by all means. Don't try to get a free hookup if the shop didn't earn a dollar on the bike.
    2018 YT Jeffsy AL 29
    2005 Felt F75 (roadie)

mtbr member
    Just to clarify on my end, if I were a LBS owner and some guy walked into my shop with an unopened YT box and said, "Can you guys put this together for me?" My response would probably be, as kind as I possibly could, "Yes, but it's a $100 charge." If he balked, I'd try to steer the conversation to making some sort of deal where we put it together, and do a bike fit for him, for a decent rate, and stress the importance of a bike fit.

I would not complain to him for one second that he bought the bike online. Just as I wouldn't complain if someone brought a fairly new bike in from a brand we don't sell looking for service.

mtbr member
    Jon - This question has come up on other forums. Most of the qualms about press fit BBs are dated info, or apply to cheaper, plastic BBs. Yes, some years ago most PF BB's creaked and wore out. It didn't help that tons of bikes were fitted with some of the Shimanos that were literally $19 parts. The Race Face BB92 is at least double that price, and if you search online gets pretty good reviews.

PF BB's are now so common, you'll find them on very high end bikes. The Giant Anthem Advance Pro 0 (a $9k mountain bike) comes with a PF BB. So does the Specialized Stumpjumper carbon. So do many Trek bikes. The list goes on, as PFs are simply made better than they were a short few years ago.

If you're worried since you're built like Ndamukong Suh you'll mash the BB out, I'd say just be aware of the potential issue, and know that down the line you may want to replace it. There are a few brands like Hope, Legit Engineering and Chris King that specifically capitalized on the creaky PF BB's and made very high quality ones. In fact, the Chris King PF BB is made from hardened steel and precision milled aluminum cups, with them saying it will outlast three bikes. Yes, it will set you back close to $200, but it also may buy you peace of mind knowing that at worst, $200 may remedy the weakest link on the bike forever.

As to being a Clydesdale, you might be shocked to know just how much pressure it takes to destroy a frame. Frames usually break because of freak accidents, regardless of rider size. Don't just believe the YT guys, here's a video from Santa Cruz showing just how insanely tough frames are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5eMMf11uhM

Once you get the shock pressure dialed in, and tire pressure, you should be fine. If you're going tubeless, you could probably put a 2.6" on the front and 2.4" on the rear, run the rear with Huck Norris or Cushcore, and be plenty happy.

Finally, you can browse all you want, but I'll save you some legwork. Dollar for dollar you won't find a better deal on any bike out there than the bike you're looking at. The price point on this bike is simply astounding. The deal on the CF versions is already amazing, but the bike you get for the money on the AL version is the best in the world as I see it.

Having said that, I don't own this bike. I'm just a discerning shopper who is highly, highly impressed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Emailed YT yesterday to check on the status of my order. I was told the "container is stuck in customs" story as some other people have been told in the past. Hopefully they can get it shipped out to me sooner rather than later. My hardtail is fun for some things but I miss having rear suspension since my last trail bike already move to it's new home.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    That video is nuts. Makes me feel better about things. The main issue now is the rear shock. I'm a little over 300 and the non EVOL can DPS shock has a maximum PSI of 300 and Fox has you set your PSI at the weight. The EVOL Can shocks are rated at 350PSI. Does anyone know if the basic AL Jeffsy DPS shock is the EVOL Can version?

I'm pretty sure I can work with the Fox 34 Rhythm fork and make it work
    Jon

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Does anyone know if the basic AL Jeffsy DPS shock is the EVOL Can version?
    Yes it is.

Anyone got their Jeffsy yet?-img_8647.jpg
    2018 YT Jeffsy AL 29
    2005 Felt F75 (roadie)

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Thanks! Fox seems to be more bombproof than Rockshox generally. I'm sure as you pay more they equate, but Fox making their lower priced products this strong is pretty reassuring

Jon

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I ordered my JEFFSY 27 CF Pro Race L on 3/7/18 and I received it on 3/14/18. No issues, arrived in perfect shape, not a scratch.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    What kind of pressures are people running in their DPS Evol? On my Jeffsy 29 I'm at 191 psi with my riding weight being 168-170ish. This gives me 15mm of sag, which is a hair over 25%.

Figure this info might help Hiker74 out if he's near the limit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Just received the Jeffsy 29 AL. This is the girlfriends new bike. She loves it but boy is it heavy. its a size medium and out of the box with no pedals it weighed in at 31.24lbs. a A bit much over the advertised weight. the tires are nice an wide but they seem to be overkill, at least for her, they weigh in at 1265 grams which is what most Downhill tires weigh. you can really feel the rotational weight of these tires. We also put on a 30T chainring as we were assembling it. Anyways any one else weigh their Jeffsys? she's heavy but she's sexy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone got their Jeffsy yet?-img_1667.jpg  

Anyone got their Jeffsy yet?-img_1666-5.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Totally agree with Rider51! This is across-the-board for any business these days that wants to survive in a highly competitive sales environment. Just look at the Amazon business model vs. the outdated models. They must evolve in order to survive.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018

Cool-blue Rhythm New 2018 JEFFSY® 29 CF PRO Component Questions

I just placed an order today for the 2018 JEFFSY® 29 CF PRO (Large/Chalk White / Black Magic). I'm 6ft tall, 34" inseam, 195 lbs. I have a 2014 Medium RIP 9 RDO with new Shimano XT/XTR components, new Renthal Apex 35 Stem (60mm), new Renthal Fatbar Carbon 35 Handlebar (20mm rise), new ARC 30mm wheels, Fabric Scoop Pro Radius seat, Crank Brothers 7 Pedals (large), etc.. Anyhow, I came to the realization recently that the Niner is just too small for me (difficulty climbing, etc.) and I've been wanting the JEFSSY anyhow, so finally purchased. I'm looking at putting some of the aforementioned components on the new JEFFSY (i.e, seat, pedals, stem and bars). On the JEFFSY, the Race Face NEXT R 35 Handlebar has a 35mm rise and the Race Face Turbine R is 50mm. Will the Renthal handlebar rise (20mm vs. the Race Face 35mm rise) and Renthal stem (60mm vs. the Race Face 50mm reach) affect the geometry much and are the Renthal components really any better in comparison? I also have some new Renthal Fatbar Lite Carbon 35 Handlebars (20mm rise) that I just replaced because they are a little narrow for my liking (760mm vs. my preferred 780mm width). Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone got their Jeffsy yet?-010db34169ad6d7ee21e53973284b3b11a75222060.jpg  

Anyone got their Jeffsy yet?-01a7bab1745515d962cf760a8e45818610b09c17df.jpg  

Last edited by Trailblazer266; 03-31-2018 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Added picture of bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    What do you guys think of Jeffsy for tamer trails? I live in St. Louis and most of our trails are flowy singletrack without a lot of chunk. Would I be better served going with a shorter travel 29er? Or is the Jeffsy still the way to go?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by richulr View Post
    What do you guys think of Jeffsy for tamer trails? I live in St. Louis and most of our trails are flowy singletrack without a lot of chunk. Would I be better served going with a shorter travel 29er? Or is the Jeffsy still the way to go?
    Personally it sounds like a 140mm 29er is unnecessary for your trails. It pedals very well, but is still not a short travel bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    And I appreciate the honest response. I didn't know if Jeffsy would be too much bike or not. I was also looking at a 120mm 29er. That may be a better option I suppose.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Thats what i would personally go for! I love the Jeffsy, but to me it comes alive in the rougher stuff. I kept my hardtail, so for smoother trails I tend to choose that. If I had to have only one bike it would be a 120mm 29er.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast