6'2" Sizing - Can't make a decision on Jeffsy- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

6'2" Sizing - Can't make a decision on Jeffsy

Love the looks of the Jeffsy and everything I read but landing right in between the L and XL has me really nervous to buy a bike I can't try out first. I am right at 6'2". Anyone around that mark and have any advice. YT says go to the large, bikes run a little big. Measurements line up pretty well with a Niner RIP so I may try to get on one of those before ordering. I struggle imagining a guy that's 5'8" riding the same bike I would but the large span on their site is 5'8-6'2". Also the XL is 6'-6'6", same deal with a guys that's 6'6". Any comparable bike that you would say it fits like that would be good for sizing would be good to hear about.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'm 5'8" and have ridden my friend's L Jeffsy and he's 6' I believe. No way I'd ever be on a large. I'd think if you want a smaller feeling bike in your hands, go L, otherwise go XL. My .02.
    Trek Stache 7
    9:Zero:7 Whiteout
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Santa Cruz Bronson

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    You can go either size. Depends on how you like the bike to feel. Some like a smaller size so they get a more rearward weight bias. Others like being centered and in the bike rather than on it. Shorter wheelbase and more rearward weight distribution can make the bike feel more playful. Larger size can feel more stable. It comes down to your personal preference.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    @Jasondbikes I'm in the same situation at the same height. I have been leaning toward an XL to not risk being cramped. Are you looking at a 2017 29er?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Since this is about sizing. I'm 5'6" and planning on getting med. I'm a bit concern about the seat tube cuz they have 17" and if I'm not mistaken they also have a 150 dropper. Those who have medium jeffsy here, would you care to measure the center of your bb all the way to your seat with your dropper fully extended? Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

6'2" Sizing - Can't make a decision on Jeffsy

Triza - yes it's the 2017 29er Jeffsy that I'm looking at. I'm all set to buy if I could just get comfortable on the size. I am hoping that checking with the niner rip will help since they have the same reach. I sat on a new XL stumpy and it felt pretty big. The large Jeffsy measures a bit longer than a larger stumpy so I'm leaning that way. The guy I talked to at yt was great. He was 6'3 and rides both sizes regularly. He was pushing the large saying they have a bigger feel than a lot of competitor larges

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Didn't see until now that they dropped a 27.5 version. Ugh. Now I'm even most at a loss. Surprised to see it's 15mm longer in reach than the 29er

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I'm 6'2 also and just picked up an XL Capra 2016 on the outlet. I had the same worry as you. But. I'm stoked on the xl and am 100% glad I went with it over the large. I'm not sure how the 2017 Jeffsy numbers compare (you can find 2016 under outlet). Hope that helps!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'm 5'8" with a medium jeffsy and have 1.75" more of drop available to me on dropper before it bottoms out on frame.

mtbr member
    FWIW, I'm 6' 2" also and went with the large capra and love it. YTs definitely feel a little bigger in their sizes compared to other brands.
    2016 YT Capra AL
    2015 Trek Session 88

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I see you ride a Trek Stache 7, how do you like it compared to the Jeffsy? I'm trying to decide between the two. The Jeffsy AL One 29 has an insane component spec. for the money.
    2019 EVIL Offering
    2019 Giant Revolt Advanced 2

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by tuskenraider View Post
    I'm 5'8" and have ridden my friend's L Jeffsy and he's 6' I believe. No way I'd ever be on a large. I'd think if you want a smaller feeling bike in your hands, go L, otherwise go XL. My .02.
    I see you ride a Trek Stache 7, how do you like it compared to the Jeffsy? I'm trying to decide between the two. The Jeffsy AL One 29 has an insane component spec. for the money.
    2019 EVIL Offering

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by alex345 View Post
    I'm 5'8" with a medium jeffsy and have 1.75" more of drop available to me on dropper before it bottoms out on frame.
    @alex345, i'm looking at a medium Jeffsy as well same height as you with a 31" inseam. How is the sizing for you?
    2019 EVIL Offering

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jn24uk View Post
    @alex345, i'm looking at a medium Jeffsy as well same height as you with a 31" inseam. How is the sizing for you?
    I wear 30" pants but like them low on hips. I think the bike fits me good, 5'8" is always middle of range for medium I've never questioned any other size for myself.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I'm 6'2" with a longer torso (32" inseam on legs). I thought I was going to be a Large on the Jeffsy, so I sent my detailed measurements to YT and they confirmed that a Large would be best. These bikes seem to run tad bit bigger than industry average. I suggest taking measurements and reaching out to YT. An XL "could" work, but these already come with shorter stems, so I wouldn't count too much on swapping that out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    So I ended up hitting order the other day on a large Jeffsy 27. I started this thread before that bike was released and was really excited to see it come out. I secretly wanted a 27" bike but was going with the 29 Jeffsy because of the lively feel the reviews talked about. I also like that the 27 is a bit longer making me less worried on size. I also talked to YT and felt better on sizing after. The guy I talked to was a ton of help and was 6'-3". He said he rode both but really preferred the Large in both the 29 and 27. We will see if I am right at the end of April.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I talked to Roy too.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The vitalmtb review of the 29" Jeffsy has a reference to sizing and it appears to be totally contradictory to what I've read here. Most notably, this:
    "Riders taller than ~6'2" (1.88m) may find YT's maximum 465mm reach to be a limiting factor."
    Here's the link: 2016 YT Jeffsy CF Comp 1 29 - Reviews, Comparisons, Specs - Mountain Bikes - Vital MTB

Otherwise, they absolutely love the bike, which is yet another reason I've got it high on my list of possible next rides. But, at 6'3" with long arms, I wonder about fit.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'9.5" and had a medium Mondraker Vantage frame for a while. I loved the fit with it's 461mm reach. I would go with a large Jeffsey but I think the seat tube is too long for my stumpy legs and a 150mm dropper. YT seems a bit short in the reach department.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    This is definitely on my mind daily. Ordered a large 27. Partially because I wanted the smaller hoops but I also like to see the 15mm longer reach. I think I'll risk the large, worst case i ship it back after a driveway test and I'm out some money to upsize. Still ahead. I am letting my advice from Roy let me sleep at night. I did ask him about another review that said anyone over 6' would be good on an XL. He said it was prob some European site and there is a trend of riding oversized bikes going on now. It definitely was a euro test, not sure on this trend.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    I would go with a large Jeffsey but I think the seat tube is too long for my stumpy legs and a 150mm dropper. YT seems a bit short in the reach department.
    I have the same concern. I'm 5'10" but I have short legs/a long torso. Makes bike fit a real headache.

That being said, I have a medium Jeffsy 27 on order.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    One month out and counting!!! Can't wait for delivery day.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I'm only about 6'00" but with a short torso and longer 34" inseam so I went with the XL pro race carbon 27, in general I prefer the feel of xl sizes on just about everything, I almost pulled the trigger on a kona hei hei trail until I found out no xl size would be offered.
    I keep swooning over the pictures of this bike, in my opinion the sexiest in the industry right now, cant wait to see it in the flesh.
    My one question, can anyone speak to the climbing ability of the jeffsy against the benchmarks in this category like the mach6 and mojo hd3?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    The 29er Jeffsy climbs as well if not better then the HD3 I have both and prefer the Jeffsy for everything.

mtbr member
    I'm 6'-2", broad shoulders and long arms (37.5" sleeves), shortish legs (32" jeans), average torso.

The XL fits perfectly.

Haven't tried a Large.
    Yamaguchi Cross • YT Jeffsy • Salsa Mukluk & Vaya • Canyon Commuter

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by schnee View Post
    I'm 6'-2", broad shoulders and long arms (37.5" sleeves), shortish legs (32" jeans), average torso.

The XL fits perfectly.

Haven't tried a Large.
    I assume you are on the 29 version, correct?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasondbikes View Post
    I assume you are on the 29 version, correct?
    Yes
    Yamaguchi Cross • YT Jeffsy • Salsa Mukluk & Vaya • Canyon Commuter

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Got my bike today. Bike is awesome . Bike is too small

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Got my bike today. Bike is awesome . Bike is too small

Sorry to hear that Jason. Can I ask what you're going to do? Send it back? Keep it?

My AL1 is showing up tomorrow. I'm just shy of 5'11" and was debating a M vs L. I went with the L.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Yep, it's headed back. You'll be perfect for the large. Going to order a 29 XL.

> 55
    Aug 2014
    jasondbikes, let me know when you get your XL. Is it in stock or pending backorder.

I am a bit taller than you, 6' 3". I never considered anything but a xl jeffsy as the TT is only 637mm or 25.01 inches.

My current bike has a TT length of 661mm or 26.02 inches with a 30mm stem and feels great.

XL jeffsy runs a 60mm stem (1 in = 25.4 mm).

These mid range travel 29ers are great bikes (>125mm rear to 150mm front) with lots of choices. I enjoy the heck out of my current bike, process 111, but want more rear travel. I am going for either a xl jeffsy 29er (not available until August?) or a xl banshee prime.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gerryl View Post
    jasondbikes, let me know when you get your XL. Is it in stock or pending backorder.

I am a bit taller than you, 6' 3". I never considered anything but a xl jeffsy as the TT is only 637mm or 25.01 inches.

My current bike has a TT length of 661mm or 26.02 inches with a 30mm stem and feels great.

XL jeffsy runs a 60mm stem (1 in = 25.4 mm).

These mid range travel 29ers are great bikes (>125mm rear to 150mm front) with lots of choices. I enjoy the heck out of my current bike, process 111, but want more rear travel. I am going for either a xl jeffsy 29er (not available until August?) or a xl banshee prime.
    Yep, comes in august. Long wait but just seeing the 27 makes me know it's going to be an awesome bike.

mtbr member
    Just thought I'd share my experiences with sizing. I'm right at 6'2" and had an opportunity to demo the XL and the large 27.5 Jeffsy's back to back on the same trail today. I tried the XL first since I was leaning that way and followed up with the large. For me, I found a much better fit on the large. The XL is definitely a big bike, and I didn't feel that I was able to move around on the bike as much as on the large. Getting on the large, the fit was almost spot on for me and I didn't feel it cramped. Both bikes were really fun, but the playful attitude really started to show on the Large for me. Going to give the Jeffsy 29 a try at some point next week before pushing the order button but for now, I'm sold on the large 27 Jeffsy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Watching this thread with interest as I have an XL Jeffsy on order (ETA late Sept).

I'm 6' 3.5" tall with long arms & legs. Pretty certain the XL is right for me, but I sometimes like the feel of a slightly undersized bike, so definitely interested in how you bigger guys think the Jeffsy feels...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I can't imagine you on anything but an XL. Others at 6'2 like the L 27 but I thought it felt tiny. Here's a pic of me on it. .

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    OMEGANOX---I also am 6 foot and 34 inseam.

I find the measurement I need is from the center of the bar stem to the front tip of the seat-----this tells me actual effective top tube as it takes into consideration how much seat post is exposed.

Could you possibly take this measurement for me--should be about 21 inches
    Also the measurement from the center of the bottom bracket to the top of the seat-----should be about 30 inches

I would appreciate it a ton---be a huge help since I cannot go see the bike

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pctloper View Post

I find the measurement I need is from the center of the bar stem to the front tip of the seat-----this tells me actual effective top tube as it takes into consideration how much seat post is exposed.

Also the measurement from the center of the bottom bracket to the top of the seat-----should be about 30 inches

I can do this over the weekend and get back to you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pctloper View Post

Obviously the measurement you are asking for all depend on seat position but with how I have mine setup it is 19.5” to center of stem from seat tip with seat in middle of rails and 31.5 from B.B. with about .75” of seat post out from as low as it can go. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

Good job!

Thanks for taking those measurements

I have adjusted them from your 31.5 to my 30.25 seat height and with the sold as stem lengths I get the following on the bikes I am considering

Jeff seat tip to mid bar------21.4 inches
    Fuel XL 21.25
    SC HT XL 21.5
    Pivot 429T current bike 20.25

I like this measurement more than top tube as it is an actual number from your seat height---if one assumes most seats are 11 inches then you can calc a real to[ tube for your use.

So the Jeff is very similar in working top tube for me----note the Pivot is short sitting and the reach is crazy short so that is one of the things I need to extend

Now---the dropper at this 31.5 seat height only has .75 inches above the seat collar----this is troubling as it means I cannot run the 150 post even while YT claims it would be fine
    Lots of folks seem to be trying to figure out the dropper equation so it would be useful on those with actual bikes to tell us--maybe in this format

bike size seat height dropper drop space above the seat collar
    XL 31.5 150 .75

This would tell us from real bikes what is going on and everyone can get the seat height----mid BB to top of sat-----and the roadies will already know this dimension

cheers
    Last edited by pctloper; 02-10-2018 at 10:54 AM. Reason: flush out

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Yep. 6'2 here and the story of my life as far as sizing bikes! And worse now, frame makers are shortening seat tubes by an inch or more but making top tubes longer. So you have to be concerned the bike will feel too short on a large and will feel too stretched out on an XL...
    I don't want to have to run a 90mm stem anymore like I do with my large 2014 Yeti, so I may go XL on my next purchase.

FWIW jasondbikes, that large does look small on you in the driveway pic! I think you made the right call going XL and 29. Please report back on how this set up works for you when you receive it...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by keithrad View Post
    Yep. 6'2 here and the story of my life as far as sizing bikes! And worse now, frame makers are shortening seat tubes by an inch or more but making top tubes longer. So you have to be concerned the bike will feel too short on a large and will feel too stretched out on an XL...
    I don't want to have to run a 90mm stem anymore like I do with my large 2014 Yeti, so I may go XL on my next purchase.

FWIW jasondbikes, that large does look small on you in the driveway pic! I think you made the right call going XL and 29. Please report back on how this set up works for you when you receive it...
    Been riding the XL 29 and fit is perfect!

mtbr member
    FWIW I pulled the trigger on an XL Jeffsy 29er AL last week. 6'2.5", 195lbs, 34" inseam, longer arms and think it'll be a good fit. Just waiting for it to get here now! Website pushed back the in stock date to 3/21 from 2/14

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    You’re going to love it. You’re almost right on top of me size wise, going to be a perfect fit for you.

mtbr member
    You’re going to love it. You’re almost right on top of me size wise, going to be a perfect fit for you.

CAN'T WAIT!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Triza View Post
    @Jasondbikes I'm in the same situation at the same height. I have been leaning toward an XL to not risk being cramped. Are you looking at a 2017 29er?
    So, I had a jeffsy 29 extra large and...........it was a complete failure.
    I am 1.83, 84 inseam. And went from a 27,5 to a 29er.
    I sent it back a got a large which concerning the size was ok.
    And then I sold it and bought a 27.5 again.
    Size concerning for my height I am large in yt 29.
    But I could not accelerate it I could not handle it.
    Now I am looking the new capra 27.5 but I am not sure about large or x large?

CHUYFCD
    Sep 2009

Jason can you share a picture of how much space you got for the dropper post to the seat tube on your XL Jeffsy. I,m also 6’2” and planning on getting mine but still concerned on the seattube being too long at 520mm

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I’ll try to remember when I get back in town but I am probably about 1.5 inches (maybe a bit more) on the post.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I’ll try to remember when I get back in town but I am probably about 1.5 inches (maybe a bit more) on the post.

CHUYFCD
    Sep 2009
    That will do! Many thanks for the pic!

mtbr member
    wow, that looks like size S under you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    I am 179cm and feel really tight on the 2019 Capra Race Pro L, thinking about XL. Like aggressive riding and jumps. Have longer legs and arms, shorter upper body.