mtbr member

2019 YT Jeffsy Wish List

So... YT is coming out with a redesigned Jeffsy in the first quarter of 2019. What do you all want to see? Here's my wish list:

1. Slacken the HTA to 65-65.5 deg (this is NOT too slack peeps, with a longer reach and steeper STA as most others are catching on to the "Canfield" modern geometry).

2. Steepen the effective STA to 77-77.5 deg (see above). Everyone laughed at Canfield when they introduced the Riot with "crazy" numbers for trail use... until they rode it. Now everyone has learned the trick and this is now "modern" geometry.

3. Lengthen the reach by 25mm across all size ranges (also lengthens the wheelbase).

4. Shorten the stem length to 35mm from 50; keeps similar riding position angle (with longer reach) and gives way more control with wider bars. Works fine for trail use with the steeper STA, trust me.

5. Shorten the fork offset. This will be a deal killer for me if they don't go this route. With a slack HTA, longer reach and short stem, it no longer makes sense to have the crazy 51mm offset 29'r forks designed for old 73 deg HTA geometry and 90mm stems! Most other manufacturers have caught on so this shouldn't be a problem, especially since YT was doing this two years ago anyway. I'm thinking it was a supply issue for the 2018's?

6. Shorten the Seat tube lengths by 40mm across all sizes. I don't see this being an issue as they've already done this with the Capra and Tues so I fully expect this on the new Jeffsy with all the longer dropper posts now available.

7. Spec a CHOICE of dropper post and crank lengths!!! Shorter seat tube allows MOST to run a 170 mm dropper and really get the seat out of the way for jump lines and gnarly DH yet most are still spec'ing 150's arrrrggghhh! And crank lengths should be sized with the bike: 165 for SM, 170 for M, 175 for L and XL... OR let the buyer choose!

8. Threaded BB. Yeah, it adds weight and complexity (some cost) but no one really wants a pressfit BB nor the creaking.

9. BB height of 13.3" or so for low setting.

10. Shorter chainstays. Go as short as possible for the suspension design. I'm guessing the 4 bar suspension they use is the limiting factor but now that they have boost spacing, YT should be able to at least get down in the 425mm range which makes for a snappier cornering bike.

11. Suspension leverage curve adjust similar to the new Capra where they made it less progressive (but still plenty progressive to prevent bottoming) allowing for better integration with air shock spring rate curves and a smoother overall ride.

12. Room for a standard water bottle; getting gouged by YT's current exclusive fix is a joke. This isn't a deal killer for me tho as I use a camelbak but it sure would be nice to have.

13. Keep the travel at 140mm F and R or maybe offer a 150 fork as an option.

14. Unless cost is a big issue, spec Sram drivetrain and Shimano brakes, not the other way around as is on 2018 models.I'm guessing cost and availability factored into that tho?

15. Keep the price low. Honestly the new Yeti SB 130 has everything I've envisioned for my perfect bike but the price tag is just ridiculous. If YT can keep their current pricing for a bike with these types of numbers they will sell like hotcakes! I hope they anticipate US demand; the Capra sold out in, like, 2 weeks - FOR THE YEAR!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Last edited by Gman086; 09-24-2018 at 05:46 PM.
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Agree with most of those changes. Would like to see maybe a 65 degree HA in low setting. Also wouldn't mind 160fr/150r pro race version as well. I currently have a Yeti 5.5 and the new Yeti bikes are badass but I just can't see myself springing for a $3800 frame when I could get a really nice spec'd YT complete for $500 more.

mtbr member
    Man, you should just buy the Capra 29
    Now jokes aside there is some good stuff here.

>Threaded BB would be nice.
    >Shorter chainstay? Please don't
    >Shorter seat tube? Meh, it's a trail bike.
    For the 520mm in XL I would already need a 200mm dropper, so whats the point with a even shorter tube? ( yeah I'm that tall )

>Sram drivetrain and Shimano brakes would be great
    >Standard water bottle is also a winner
    >The Capra has more progessivity than the Jeffsy, but it kicks in later in the travel.
    I absolutely don't want to have this on the Jeffsy.
    I own both a Jeffsy and a Capra and this makes the Capra climb pretty bad.
    Lots and lots of pedal strikes. Again, it's a trail bike.

>The other geo stuff like more reach is good, but I dont like steep STA.
    They give me bad knee pain, so I'm fine with the actual STA.

My wishes would be.

>Better and more durable paint jobs.
    This years models look awful, except the blood red one.

>Please for the love of god, no more SDG saddles. I hate those ass rippers.
    You can't even sell the afterwards, cuz no one wants them.

>No Raceface cranks.
    Sram chainrings are cheaper and nicer and they have boost rings

>Fix the god damn noisy cable routing.

>Bike should all come tubeless, no tubes needed.

>Ergon grips and mud guards would be nice

>And Please state the "REAL" weights lol

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Overall it'd be nice to have some basic custom choices in spec, or maybe even a full custom build option like Commencal does. Of course options are limited in that they have to be a SKU stocked in the parts bin (so for example upgrading to a Race Face or Renthal cockpit would work because they stock them for base models, but they don't stock Truvativ).

I'd like the new Shimano 12 speed with e13 9-46 and medium cage derailleur, but some people might like just the Shimano 10-45, or the full 10-51 and long cage. I don't know if they'd offer both Shimano and SRAM drives.

New Shimano XTR brakes with Freeza rotors, but some might like SRAM.

Some might like the stock spec'd dropper, but some might just want a basic rigid post. I remember when droppers were first getting popular, some brands did this because it allowed for a cheaper bike and gave the customer a choice of dropper. Base AL and C models could be stock rigid post with options to upgrade.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman1976 View Post
    Agree with most of those changes. Would like to see maybe a 65 degree HA in low setting. Also wouldn't mind 160fr/150r pro race version as well. I currently have a Yeti 5.5 and the new Yeti bikes are badass but I just can't see myself springing for a $3800 frame when I could get a really nice spec'd YT complete for $500 more.
    Agreed! I changed the HTA to 65 and 65.5 for low and hi settings. I like your idea for the Pro Race version too!

Also excellent input from OTM and Tburd, thanks! I knew someone was going to tell me to get a Capra! I almost did but I really want the same bike in a shorter travel, shorter wheelbase, lighter bike for more playful trail riding. There was a post earlier about how the new Jeffsy would have the same geo numbers as the Capra and I think a lot of readers thought that was a joke but... per industry trends I can definitely see that happening! Also I did not know that the spring rates were that different for the Jeffsy vs. the Capra so that is good info OTM! Do you feel it is pretty much optimized now? A lot of the reviews felt the Jeffsy was a bit harsh riding? I personally don't like too squishy of a bike for trail riding and popping off of trail obstacles so maybe they should leave well enough alone?

Keep the comments coming, GREAT stuff guys!

Cheers,

G
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

what a joke
    How about a true XL or XXL for us riders over 6’3”.

mtbr member
    i have a 27.5 Jeffsy, this is what i'd keep and change.

FRAME
    1. Keep the hta, i'm coming from a bike with a 65 hta and really like the steeper angle on the Jeffsy, It's a trail bike

2. I feel like reach could be about 5mm to 10mm longer.

3. Room for a regular bottle would be nice

4. More transparent tape to protect the frame

5. I could see the sta getting slightly steeper but the sta feels fine especially when i have the shock in a firm settling.

Other than that I love how the bike rides, it's a trail bike that can handle gnar when it comes up.

BUILD KIT

1. Shorter cranks. I ride a large and hate 175mm cranks. It might be a bitch but it'd be nice to see an option where you could select your crank size.

2. No more franken drivetrain, get either eagle or the new xtr, I feel like the xtr e13 combo goes out of whack so easy.

3. All models should come with tubeless valves

4. If you do a shimano drivetrain then get shimano brakes if you do sram use sram. I imagine you'd probably get a better deal if it was a uniform kit. Brakes are cheap enough that you can buy what you prefer and sell what came on that bike if you're not happy with them
    Last edited by ryan_daugherty; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:23 PM.

mtbr member
    I like some of the suggestions and disagree with some. Regardless, I'll add one recommendation. And this is for the entire YT line. The steering tubes needs to be left uncut or at least leave it longer than they do now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Spec a Fox 36 at 150 and I’m in!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ_John View Post
    Spec a Fox 36 at 150 and I’m in!!!
    Yes! Holding off on a 19 Stumpy for this hopefully.

mtbr member
    I'm 6'4 and I'd love to get the new jeffsy with a longer reach, fox 36 150mm fork up front and room for a water bottle. I'm sold.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I have the 2017 pro race. I hope the next gen would have 65.5 to 66 ha, a threaded bb and spec with 36 150mm fork. Other than that it's all perfect for a trail bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by kwapik View Post
    I like some of the suggestions and disagree with some. Regardless, I'll add one recommendation. And this is for the entire YT line. The steering tubes needs to be left uncut or at least leave it longer than they do now.
    I second this...I actually contacted YT to see if I could get one uncut, the answer was no but in the end I still bought a 2018 cf pro. I'm 6'7 and I likes me a taller front.

mtbr member
    when are we going to know about the 2019 lineup?

mtbr member
    Probably late January 2019

mtbr member
    I sure hope they leak some 2019 spec lists before the holidays that way I hold out on buying a bike.

mtbr member
    Leaked photo of 2019 Jeffsy 27
    2019 YT Jeffsy Wish List-p5pb16689645.jpg

Frame looks the same; however, the graphics are new. Components are different.

Courtesy mtb-news.de

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Pretty much already did all of this with a 160 lyrik, 32mm stem, 35mm bars and slamming my seat forward on my jeffsy 29!
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Just got an email from YT with the "2019 Range". No Jeffsy shown in the email...maybe it will not get an update? Still shows sold out on pretty much every trim in M-XL on their web page though...perhaps they will just release this later in the year?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    [CITA = jlbanta; 13942018] Acabo de recibir un correo electrónico de YT con "2019 Range". No se muestra a Jeffsy en el correo electrónico ... ¿quizás no se actualice? Aún así, los shows se agotaron en casi todos los recortes de M-XL en su página web ... ¿Quizás lanzaremos esto más tarde en el año? [/ QUOTE]

https://streamable.com/rx0t3 Jeffsy 2019 está aquí ..

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Name:  2019-01-10 10_06_28-YT USA.png
Views: 1232
Size:  189.9 KB

ninjichor.com
    I like what I see so far from the new Jeffsy.

From just that side-perspective, I see very well balanced FC/RC proportions, relatively steep STA, and relatively high standover clearance. Judging by the BB drop, that could be a 29er, generalizing -40mm drop for 29 & -20 for 27.5.

Wish seat tubes got lower--if the saddle can be slammed as low as my knees with a dropper, that would be ideal for me. For that to happen, seat tubes need to be under 400mm, which means the seat tube should stop before it goes over the tire height (assuming 335-345mm BBH and 710-750mm tire diameter).

That all said, I'd wager that if they got the chassis stiffness, suspension, and spec dialed for the price, this is 5/5 star material here. I wasn't a fan of the outgoing 29er Jeffsy, since its FC/RC proportions made it too front heavy in my size (S/M). The 27 Jeffsy is super well dialed in size L, as is the Capra 29 (Capra 27 dialed in M/L and haven't analyzed the others). If I were in the market, I'd be getting a website plugin to alert me on page changes, to be able pull the trigger before it sells out. Getting a custom 29er frame though, since I'm experimenting with geo.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    looks like it’s finally out
    and they actually have some in stock

ninjichor.com
    I checked out the numbers. New mk2 jeffsy29 gained 25mm reach, 1d slacker HA, 45mm lower seat tube, and 2.5d steeper STA.

I still think it could've gone further on all those numbers. I don't think it got enough FC to fully counter the front-heaviness of the old bike. If you get one, long-forking it might not be a bad idea (XL prob fine). Will still have a behind-the-saddle riding style in S/M... good thing I went custom (I don't have long arms, so I dislike hanging back).

Even this tall rider shows a moderately rearward riding position in the photos: https://enduro-mtb.com/en/yt-jeffsy-2019/3/

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Hmm---new bike looks good --the only concern I have on the large is the very short ETT---would need to measure in real life at my seat height but maybe to short for me with my long arms. Currently on a Pivot429 and the 623 ETT is a bit short for seated work.
    Thoughts???