2019 Jeffsy 29 CF PRO RACE - 150 44 rake or 160 51 rake fork?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2019 Jeffsy 29 CF PRO RACE - 150 44 rake or 160 51 rake fork?

I picked up a 2019 Jeffsy 29 CF PRO RACE & trying to decide if I should keep the 150 fork it comes with or replace with a 160 fork especially since I already own a 160? I have read other posts where it seems like folks are happy with the 160, and I like the idea of the 160 fork for the bigger travel and raising the BB a bit.

However, the 160 I currently own has a rake of 51mm & I noticed the stock 150 fork is 44mm. I understand the basic concept of what the rake is measuring, but what I don't totally understand is how this will really change the feel of how the bike feels and handles, especially if I were to increase the travel another 10mm.

Does anybody have any thoughts / recommendations / insight that they could share that may help me decide which setup to run? Thanks!

Rocks belong
    Why swap the forks? Just install a 160 airshaft in that 44mm offset Fox 36 Grip2 Factory that comes on your CF Pro Race and get rowdy
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    Why swap the forks? Just install a 160 airshaft in that 44mm offset Fox 36 Grip2 Factory that comes on your CF Pro Race and get rowdy
    Thanks for the reply - that's a thought but I already have the 51 offset 160 fork ready to go - so I would have to swap out the dampers - never done that before but I'm sure like lots of things it requires tools / supplies I don't have and has a learning curve

Ariolimax columbianus
    pretty sure shorter offset for better steering, longer offset for steeper trails. think i saw you post somewhere (maybe norcal or sc board) about demoing the new hightower. just curious to read your opinions about how the jeffsy compares. have fun!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nativeson View Post
    pretty sure shorter offset for better steering, longer offset for steeper trails. think i saw you post somewhere (maybe norcal or sc board) about demoing the new hightower. just curious to read your opinions about how the jeffsy compares. have fun!
    Thanks for the feedback - no that wasn’t me posting about the HT - I tried the previous generation HT but not the newest one

I was able to try the Jeffsy before pulling the trigger on it and I felt right at home on it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Why do you need to swap dampers? Air shaft change on the 150 is pretty straightforward or pretty inexpensive to get a shop to do. Or wait until you need a seal service and have it done all at once. Air shaft is like $40. I did this on my Jeffsy CF Pro race and like it. It does change the character of the bike a bit making it more capable overall but you a bit of the playfulness and pump and flow - ability. I think a 160 travel 51 offset would ruin the playfulness of the Jeffsy.

I've tried both 51 and 44 grip2 forks on my old hightower and the 44 performs much better IMO. Really tightens up the steering on the 29 wheels which was always what made me shy away from the wheel size being an average size human. I won't go back to 51 and am all in on 29r bikes now. Sold my 275 Capra and just got a 29 to complement the Jeffsy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Damage View Post
    Why do you need to swap dampers? Air shaft change on the 150 is pretty straightforward or pretty inexpensive to get a shop to do. Or wait until you need a seal service and have it done all at once. Air shaft is like $40. I did this on my Jeffsy CF Pro race and like it. It does change the character of the bike a bit making it more capable overall but you a bit of the playfulness and pump and flow - ability. I think a 160 travel 51 offset would ruin the playfulness of the Jeffsy.

I've tried both 51 and 44 grip2 forks on my old hightower and the 44 performs much better IMO. Really tightens up the steering on the 29 wheels which was always what made me shy away from the wheel size being an average size human. I won't go back to 51 and am all in on 29r bikes now. Sold my 275 Capra and just got a 29 to complement the Jeffsy
    Thanks for your opinion very helpful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk