2018 YT Capra 29- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2015

2018 YT Capra 29

I figured I would start a new thread.

I am very intrigued by this bike as I loved the Wreckoning. Is the new Capra 29 better than what evil and others have to offer?

Does the bike pedal well despite the travel?

I am seriously considering selling my current bike as this might be the holy grail of a 1 bike solution.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowsed341 View Post

I am very intrigued by this bike as I loved the Wreckoning. Is the new Capra 29 better than what evil and others have to offer?

I am seriously considering selling my current bike as this might be the holy grail of a 1 bike solution.
    I just perused the US website and the 29 AL's are not available until June!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeGee68 View Post
    I just perused the US website and the 29 AL's are not available until June!
    This is the downside of Direct Sales, however the price is amazing for the builds.

I prefer Carbon Frames and need the time to sell my bike anyway.

I am also 5 miles from YT new head office. I figure why not support a local company.

mtbr member

Demo bikes in San Clemente?

I am also 5 miles from YT new head office. I figure why not support a local company.
    I'm down in San Diego. If you find they have demo bikes at the San Clemente HQ, please inform this thread.

That XXL Capra 29er has a 500mm reach. Same as Sentinel XL, slightly more than HTLT XXL. Roughly an inch longer than an XL Wreckoning (which is already a huge bike).

This is a very disruptive launch. Good on ya YT.
    2018 YT Capra CF Pro 29er XXL

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by LaCostaClydesdale View Post
    I'm down in San Diego. If you find they have demo bikes at the San Clemente HQ, please inform this thread.

That XXL Capra 29er has a 500mm reach. Same as Sentinel XL, slightly more than HTLT XXL. Roughly an inch longer than an XL Wreckoning (which is already a huge bike).

This is a very disruptive launch. Good on ya YT.
    I would assume at the least you could sit on and see the bikes. I will drop by the office when i get chance as i would like to see the bike in person.

mtbr member
    I wish the XXL had more stack height. 6'3" on an XL Wreckoning and I'm running a 70mm stem to get a comfortable reach on the bike. The new Capra 29 is very interesting.

The base carbon model is just an amazing value.

mtbr member
    And I misstated the XXL reach. It is 505mm...5mm longer than a Sentinel.

mtbr member
    A first look...??

https://youtu.be/9_3KFvLocaE

'We'll all make it to the top... Some of us, might not make it to the bottom'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

I'm not sure if I would consider a 170mm bike a 1-bike solution. That is a lot of bike for 80% of the trails in Socal.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    subs

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by creativefletch View Post
    I'm not sure if I would consider a 170mm bike a 1-bike solution. That is a lot of bike for 80% of the trails in Socal.
    What does travel have to do with how a bike pedals or corners? Bikes have evolved over the last few years to the point where its less about travel and more about Geo.

The Wreckoning is a big bike but was not to much for the trails I ride.

I have been riding 160mm travel bikes for a while and don't find them to be to much. Laguna where I ride has trails that justify full DH bikes.

I guess its just what your are comfortable with and what trails you are riding.

I think the 160mm 29er would be super fun to ride around SoCal.

mtbr member
    Was interested in the CF but with the e13 dropper standard thatís a big let down. Itís one of the worst droppers Iíve ridden. Itís loud with set drop points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    What does travel have to do with how a bike pedals or corners? Bikes have evolved over the last few years to the point where its less about travel and more about Geo.

The Wreckoning is a big bike but was not to much for the trails I ride.

I have been riding 160mm travel bikes for a while and don't find them to be to much. Laguna where I ride has trails that justify full DH bikes.

I guess its just what your are comfortable with and what trails you are riding.

I think the 160mm 29er would be super fun to ride around SoCal.
    Laguna is definitely in the 20% where you need a lot of travel for the chunk. Travel has a bit to do with pedaling and pedal bob. Most longer travel bikes you're going to have a softer initial travel stroke on the fork and shock as opposed to a 120-140mm shock/fork. Weight also comes into play as a larger travel bike is going to come with beefier components like wheels/tires/suspension.

You are correct, it really comes down to what you're comfortable on. If most of what you ride is enduro, gnarly laguna style trails and bike parks, a 150-170mm bike is awesome. If I only had one bike I would probably lean towards a 130/140mm 29er. Light and responsive enough to be playful on downhills and is comfortable and fast climbing back up the hills. Everyone rides different and enjoys different parts of riding more than others. Ride as many different bikes and travel bikes as you can.
    Last edited by creativefletch; 02-08-2018 at 09:41 PM.

mtbr member
    great bike probably, but still press fit BB

Pressfit sucks!!!!

mtbr member
    @Andrew: "Was interested in the CF but with the e13 dropper standard thatís a big let down. Itís one of the worst droppers Iíve ridden. Itís loud with set drop points. "

Upper ends are spec'd with Fox Transfer Droppers.

mtbr member
    In regards to geo, a 76 degree seat tube angle is pretty slack for all around riding, great for downhill, not so much on long sustained climbs.
    76 deg effective STA is one of the steepest seat tube angles I've seen (for an enduro bike) and puts the rider more forward over the bottom bracket for FAR better climbing efficiency. Since you should be standing for the downhills, it wouldn't even come into play for that. I'm guessing you're confusing STA with HTA? This would be a GREAT all around bike IMHO. In fact it has the numbers to be quite possibly the best one-bike-does-all ever built.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Last edited by Gman086; 02-08-2018 at 11:08 PM.
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    I would assume at the least you could sit on and see the bikes. I will drop by the office when i get chance as i would like to see the bike in person.
    Emailed YT. They said they are building a fleet (all bikes) over the next few weeks. Then theyíll have them in San Clemente before the Demo fleet hits the road. So probably 1st week March.

mtbr member
    It's such a bummer that YT doesn't sell frame kits.
    Except for the suspension I don't like the 2018 specs at all.

Too much E13 stuff. In the first review on MTB news they already broke on of these E13 rims and the saddle again will just awful.
    Never had a more ass killing saddle, than the SDG one in my life.

And for the money of this overpriced E13 cassette and the Shimano parts you could get already the GX Eagle.

The argument that the Eagle is too long is bollocks, especially with this big 29er wheels.

Glad I have my 2017 Jeffsy.
    But still....a 29er with 160/170mm is a blast.
    That thing must be fun as hell.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew8404 View Post
    Was interested in the CF but with the e13 dropper standard thatís a big let down. Itís one of the worst droppers Iíve ridden. Itís loud with set drop points.

If that's all that is stopping you from purchasing a YT - just replace it with the dropper of your choice and sell the e13 dropper. Simple.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b00001 View Post
    @Andrew: "Was interested in the CF but with the e13 dropper standard thatís a big let down. Itís one of the worst droppers Iíve ridden. Itís loud with set drop points. "

Upper ends are spec'd with Fox Transfer Droppers.
    Yes but I said interested in CF model.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    76 deg effective STA is one of the steepest seat tube angles I've seen (for an enduro bike)
    G MAN
    Yes, but that effective STA formula is garbage. I wish the bike companies would figure out a better way. maybe release angles for different seat heights.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSteve in CO View Post
    Yes, but that effective STA formula is garbage. I wish the bike companies would figure out a better way. maybe release angles for different seat heights.
    To a degree... no pun intended! It gives a good comparison though if you don't have an abnormally long inseam. In any case... the pedaling position of the Capra is BETTER than that of the Jeffsy at ANY seat height. Not to mention the lower seat tube height allowing for longer dropper posts so you can really get the seat out of the way on DH's and jump lines now (before it was a JOKE how tall that was). These numbers are SICK! The proof is in the ride tho... we shall see soon enough. One thing for sure... the Jeffsy needs an update. I was nearly ready to get one until I found out you can't put an angleset on them which is a total deal killer considering the slack STA and steep HTA of the Jeffsy. I'm guessing that update will come in 2019 since they've finally figured it out with the Capra.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

fc
    head minion Administrator
    my take

Here, Capra see, Capra do.

2018 YT Capra first ride impressions - Mtbr.com
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    my take

Here, Capra see, Capra do.

2018 YT Capra first ride impressions - Mtbr.com
    Can you compare the climbing to the Wreckoning or HTLT?

How does the 29er stack up to the rest of the pack?

How is seated climbing?

> 55
    Aug 2014
    To a degree... no pun intended! It gives a good comparison though if you don't have an abnormally long inseam. In any case... the pedaling position of the Capra is BETTER than that of the Jeffsy at ANY seat height. Not to mention the lower seat tube height allowing for longer dropper posts so you can really get the seat out of the way on DH's and jump lines now (before it was a JOKE how tall that was). These numbers are SICK! The proof is in the ride tho... we shall see soon enough. One thing for sure... the Jeffsy needs an update. I was nearly ready to get one until I found out you can't put an angleset on them which is a total deal killer considering the slack STA and steep HTA of the Jeffsy. I'm guessing that update will come in 2019 since they've finally figured it out with the Capra.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    G Man. Agree, the jeffsy needs an update and an xxl size, longer top tube & shorter seat tube.

Capra looks bomber....too much bike for me though.

Danger Zone
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew8404 View Post

Funny, the ethirteen dropper is probably my favorite out of anything I've ridden. Miles better than a reverb or the specialized command post I've owned. There is a lot to be said for a fully mechanical design. No bleeding, no messing with the air pressure in different temperatures, it just works. And it works well at that; drops every time, raises every time.

mtbr member

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Just to clarify using a angleset on the Jeffsy. You can not use one on the CF model, but you can on the AL Jeffsy.

I agree the Jeffsy will be getting updated in the next year or two. I'm sure they'll shorten the seat tube length and address other things.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by kwapik View Post
    Just to clarify using a angleset on the Jeffsy. You can not use one on the CF model, but you can on the AL Jeffsy.

I agree the Jeffsy will be getting updated in the next year or two. I'm sure they'll shorten the seat tube length and address other things.
    What about the new AL capra?
    It takes half a joule more to accelerate Brass Nipples over Alloy Nipples on a 29er to 30kph.

mtbr member

Great... now you just gave me another option in my already tough decision on a new bike, LOL! I didn't even think of that. Have you tried it? A -1.5 deg angleset would give the Jeffsy a 65.5 deg HTA and about a 76 deg STA in the low position with slightly lower BB height and a good half inch longer wheelbase = perfect. Hmmmm!

Cheers,

G
    Last edited by Gman086; 02-12-2018 at 01:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Great... now you just gave me another option in my already tough decision on a new bike, LOL! I didn't even think of that. Have you tried it? A -1.5 deg angleset would give the Jeffsy a 66 deg HTA and about a 75.5 deg STA in the high position and would be about the same BB height as the low position and a good half inch longer wheelbase = perfect. Hmmmm!

Cheers,

G
    No, I haven't used one - my bike is stock. But plenty of Jeffsy owners have installed an angleset and are happy with the results. They went all in with longer travel forks and offset bushings for the shocks. Basically went from "trail" to "enduro".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by softbatch View Post
    What about the new AL capra?
    They show the same headset being used on both the Jeffsy AL & Capra AL models, so yes an angleset can be installed.

mtbr member
    No, I haven't used one - my bike is stock. But plenty of Jeffsy owners have installed an angleset and are happy with the results. They went all in with longer travel forks and offset bushings for the shocks. Basically went from "trail" to "enduro".
    That's also what I am planning to do with my Jeffsy.
    I have the 27 version, but I wanny try out a 180 mm 29er fork in the front.

mtbr member
    Woke up this morning with the intent of ordering a Capra 29 Race in a large. SOLD OUT damnit. Ordered an XL and then called YT to discuss. The dude I spoke to said he's 6'2 and the XL felt BIG, recommended a large for me at 6' even. Ended up cancelling my Race XL and put an order in for a L CF Pro in white. Psyched!
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    Woke up this morning with the intent of ordering a Capra 29 Race in a large. SOLD OUT damnit. Ordered an XL and then called YT to discuss. The dude I spoke to said he's 6'2 and the XL felt BIG, recommended a large for me at 6' even. Ended up cancelling my Race XL and put an order in for a L CF Pro in white. Psyched!
    Congrats, will be interested in your feedback vs the Spec Enduro you run right now. Looks like a way more progressive curve and the angles look dialed.

mtbr member
    Thanks! I'm psyched for it, especially the more progressive suspension. I'm keeping the Enduro so I'll have it to compare but I'm probably pulling the Fork with the push damper and coil and moving it to the Capra. My wife is going to take over the Enduro since she's getting into racing this year. Hopefully the ship date is accurate and I should have it with enough time to get it dialed before my first race on it the end of May.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Thanks! I'm psyched for it, especially the more progressive suspension. I'm keeping the Enduro so I'll have it to compare but I'm probably pulling the Fork with the push damper and coil and moving it to the Capra. My wife is going to take over the Enduro since she's getting into racing this year. Hopefully the ship date is accurate and I should have it with enough time to get it dialed before my first race on it the end of May.
    Congrats!!!!!!

I am on the cusp of selling my Pivot M5.5c and looking to get back to a 29er.

I will be buying the Capra 29 CF and taking the extra funds to upgrade parts. The pricing is so good and everything i have read says that this bike is going to great. I really like the Lyrik and will probably upgrade rear shock eventually and wheelset.

mtbr member

then there's no such thing as a 1-bike solution for you; by definition a bike that's big enough for everything you'll throw at it will be bigger than needed for most of what you throw at it.

Personally, I really hate the "I'd hit that but I'm on the wrong bike" feeling; I prefer a bike that's overkill most of the time, until it's 'just enough kill'

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Joules I prefer a bike that's overkill most of the time, until it's 'just enough kill'[/QUOTE]

+1

Whatever motivates you to stretch your abilities and get beyond your comfort zone. For most on this thread that is speed or jumps/drops and even steep gnar. If you are stretching endurance limits, then wrong thread...😀

mtbr member
    +1

Whatever motivates you to stretch your abilities and get beyond your comfort zone. For most on this thread that is speed or jumps/drops and even steep gnar. If you are stretching endurance limits, then wrong thread...😀
    I can see both sides. You have to remember there are a lot of people on MTBR that are OLD and ride for fitness, as well as people looking to push it, racing, etc. I'm with you though, one bike to rule them all would be a 160+ 29er.

In other news I reached out to YT about a DHX2 and they didn't see any reason why it wouldn't work great.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I can see both sides. You have to remember there are a lot of people on MTBR that are OLD and ride for fitness, as well as people looking to push it, racing, etc. I'm with you though, one bike to rule them all would be a 160+ 29er.

In other news I reached out to YT about a DHX2 and they didn't see any reason why it wouldn't work great.
    If the new capra is anything like the old one or the jeffsy the coil will work really well

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alan1 View Post
    If the new capra is anything like the old one or the jeffsy the coil will work really well
    You have no idea what a relief that is to my ears after dealing with the leverage rate on the Enduro for the last two years Push just needs to get their 170mm coil kit sorted now
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    You have no idea what a relief that is to my ears after dealing with the leverage rate on the Enduro for the last two years Push just needs to get their 170mm coil kit sorted now
    or the ElevenSix would be great.

mtbr member
    I'm with you though, one bike to rule them all would be a 160+ 29er.
    This man speaks truth. Those who have ears to hear, listen.

mtbr member
    Had my finger on the trigger to buy a Yeti SB5.5 until I saw this new Capra. Now Iím wondering how the two would compare. Looking for a ďone bike to rule them allĒ kinda thing for trails here in Colorado. The 5.5 is a phenomenal pedaling bike so Iím curious how the YT compares in that regard. I donít doubt it will be a blast to go downhill but I gotta earn my fun

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter97 View Post
    Had my finger on the trigger to buy a Yeti SB5.5 until I saw this new Capra. Now Iím wondering how the two would compare. Looking for a ďone bike to rule them allĒ kinda thing for trails here in Colorado. The 5.5 is a phenomenal pedaling bike so Iím curious how the YT compares in that regard. I donít doubt it will be a blast to go downhill but I gotta earn my fun

The fit is drastically different. Yeti is a bit of old school with shorter reaches and longer seat tubes. Capra is much longer and big dropper post friendly.

No matter the bike, it all comes down to geo and fit preference. My guess is the 5.5 will climb better than the Capra 29 but the Capra will extend your comfort zone when things get steep and fast.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    The fit is drastically different. Yeti is a bit of old school with shorter reaches and longer seat tubes. Capra is much longer and big dropper post friendly.

No matter the bike, it all comes down to geo and fit preference. My guess is the 5.5 will climb better than the Capra 29 but the Capra will extend your comfort zone when things get steep and fast.
    I owned a 5.5 and will have a Capra 29 soon. I will report back my thoughts once I get the bike and can put some time on it.

The 5.5 was fast but I would not call it that fun to ride. It does climb well.

mtbr member

Right on thanks for the comment. Iím willing to give up some climbing strength to have a bike that can handle anything from light trail to park riding. Even took a long look at the Jeffsy. Whatís tricky about the Capra is Iíd be buying it blindly without having a chance to even sit on one and ride it, and Iím not sure what else compares to it that I could check out at a shop

mtbr member
    I owned a 5.5 and will have a Capra 29 soon. I will report back my thoughts once I get the bike and can put some time on it.

The 5.5 was fast but I would not call it that fun to ride. It does climb well.
    Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this one. Iím all over the map on this one. Iíve gone from wanting an Intense Spider, to a Trek Remedy, a Jeffsy, the Yeti and now the Capra.

mtbr member
    What is with everyone complaining about climbing on long travel bikes? If you are not racing they all get up the hills just fine I have ridden a coil Nomad with a 170 fork as my 1 bike and now ride a HTLT that is long forked/offset bushing and running CushCore front and rear. Gets up the hills just fine and I have done 40-50 mile rides on it with plenty of elevation.

BTW I represent the old guys in here as well!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    What is with everyone complaining about climbing on long travel bikes? If you are not racing they all get up the hills just fine I have ridden a coil Nomad with a 170 fork as my 1 bike and now ride a HTLT that is long forked/offset bushing and running CushCore front and rear. Gets up the hills just fine and I have done 40-50 mile rides on it with plenty of elevation.

BTW I represent the old guys in here as well!
    Didnít mean to come off as ďcomplaining,Ē just more curious if climbing is at least somewhat efficient. Iím old AND fat so I need all the help I can get getting up the hill . But ultimately wanna have fun on the way back down. And lift assist days in the summer are the best

mtbr member
    Curious if anyone has much experience with or time on the Rockshox Super Deluxe? If so, I'd love to hear thoughts and feedback. I've been a big fan of the Pike on my last few bikes so I was thinking of going with the CF model to get the Lyrik. I'd be swapping over my wheels and a few other parts from my Hightower, so the rear shock would be the only wild card for me. I've been super happy with the DVO Topaz I have now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kpm700 View Post
    Curious if anyone has much experience with or time on the Rockshox Super Deluxe? If so, I'd love to hear thoughts and feedback. I've been a big fan of the Pike on my last few bikes so I was thinking of going with the CF model to get the Lyrik. I'd be swapping over my wheels and a few other parts from my Hightower, so the rear shock would be the only wild card for me. I've been super happy with the DVO Topaz I have now.
    IMO for rear suspension on this type of bike in order of best to the rest-

Push 11-6
    Fox DHX2
    Fox X2
    Everything else.

Denver, CO

mtbr member
    IMO for rear suspension on this type of bike in order of best to the rest-

Push 11-6
    Fox DHX2
    Fox X2
    Everything else.

So you would lump Avalanche, DVO Jade, Ohlin and XFusion Vector DH into the "Everything else" category or have you never ridden them and are just a Push/Fox fanboy?

The problem with this frame is it specs the new metric sizing shock which will be limiting (at least initially) and the DPX2 is a piece of junk - a big reason the initial testers are liking the 27.5 version better as it has the X2 (unless you go to the most expensive Pro Race version of the 29'r Capra which wasn't available for test at their release). So... I'm curious about the Super Deluxe myself. I'm fairly certain Avy has a conversion kit for that shock to convert to their own damper system; would seem to be a great option if you didn't like the OEM shock.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Last edited by Gman086; 02-15-2018 at 04:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    So you would lump Avalanche, DVO Jade, Ohlin and XFusion Vector DH into the "Everything else" category or have you never ridden them and are just a Push/Fox fanboy?

The problem with this frame is it specs the new metric sizing shock which will be limiting (at least initially) and the DPX2 is a piece of junk - a big reason the initial testers are liking the 27.5 version better as it has the X2 (unless you go to the most expensive Pro Race version of the 29'r Capra which wasn't available for test at their release). So... I'm curious about the Super Deluxe myself. I'm fairly certain Avy has a conversion kit for that shock to convert to their own damper system; would seem to be a great option if you didn't like the OEM shock.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    I went the CF route for this reason. I like the Lyrik and I am still not sold on FOX rear shocks. I have never ridden the X2 but ridden the other stuff.

I am sure the X2 is amazing, but didn't want to pony up for the CF RACE.

I am just going to wait until the ElevenSix comes out as that is the best shock on the market. I would also be interested in the EXT Storia.

The build is still amazing on the CF model. I figure i will most likely change out a lot of stuff anyway over the course of the next year.

I am going to give the Code Brakes a chance but if i don't like them will likely change to Hope Tech 3 E4.

Carbon Cranks also scare me as I bash mine a lot. I have used the turbines on other bikes and they have been solid.

I really dont notice much difference between XT and XTR so that doesnt bother me.

mtbr member

Have FUN!

G MAN

I wouldn't call the DPX2 junk, I personally haven't ridden one but I've ridden with a few yeti guys that have went from an X2 to the DPX2 because it's a little more active. Obviously this depends on the frame a certain amount as well as your size since there is no HSC adjustment. DVO is junk IMO, I know too many people with problems with them, although their CS is good. I've owned both a TTX and an STX and yes they both suck. The TTX switch does nothing, the STX leaks air and just doesn't hold up to the abuse of this type of bike. Probably a great XC shock. The super deluxe pales in comparison to the Fox stuff and no I'm not a fox fanboy. Any custom suspension will be better then any factory offerings so the Push reigns. I'm banking on Push not releasing an 11-6 until mid summer and my race season starts in may. When an 11-6 becomes available I'll sell the DHX2. The X2 is also a good option but I'm not 100% push will come through. As of the other day I'm the only one who had expressed interest in an 11-6 for the new Capra (Email them NOW sales@pushindustries.com and ask to be added to the list, they do fitments based on expressed interest ) I have a couple thousand miles on an X2 it's great and very adjustable, I had problems with the 2018 model on a new Enduro because they went to a larger port and a lighter weight oil to improve small bump, I'm sure this had a lot to do with the leverage rate of the Enduro as well. Overcharging the nitrogen system a little and switching back to 10wt improved it.

Personally I'm going with a DHX2 230x65 and maybe I'll save the DPX2 to see if I ever want to swap back and forth but I doubt it. A Fox 36 RC2 up front with a custom damper and a 170 coil insert when it becomes available. This is for a race bike. I wouldn't expect majority of people to feel the difference in custom suspension if you aren't pushing the bike. I've never ridden any Avy stuff, I would expect they improve the super deluxe but a full blown custom shock with two circuits is still better IMO. I plan on adding a remote lockout to my DHX2 as well for racing.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member

Have FUN!

G MAN
    My opinion only, but Fox did a horrendous job releasing the DPX2. It was a complete redesign and is not just a BNG release like it seemed from the outside view.

The DPX2 is now a lighter version of the X2 instead of a DPS with a little more oil. They went from a single tube design to a twin tube which is why people are raving about it. My recommendation is not to judge the DPX2 until you have ridden it. BTW I still ride an X2 for the added adjustability so I am not saying the DPX is the ultimate, just a very big improvement over the old version.

mtbr member
    The DPX2 is phenomenal on my Wreckoning. The reviews I've read have painted it in a very good light. Almost as plush as the X2 when in descend mode but with a trail and climb mode that you can actually use compared to the harsh options on past Fox air shocks in those modes.

If I bought the Capra with the DPX2 I would rock that shock until $1200 burned a hole through my wallet and an 11-6 showed up at my doorstep.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I think we all want an Elevensix option. Just wish Push could lower the price for the shock a little. It is however the best shock i have ever ridden.

A lot of people like the Topaz. I have never ridden one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Iím 6 feet tall with 32Ē inseam so long torso. The large N4 doesnít feel stretched out to me at all and Iím wondering whether the XL will fit me better. Iím local to them so I canít wait to demo the bikes!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by albuht813 View Post
    Iím 6 feet tall with 32Ē inseam so long torso. The large N4 doesnít feel stretched out to me at all and Iím wondering whether the XL will fit me better. Iím local to them so I canít wait to demo the bikes!
    Iím really interested in what you think.. Iím 6í1/4Ē 33Ē inseam and when i called them they talked me out of an XL and into a L.

mtbr member
    Almost as plush as the X2 when in descend mode
    I have both. Not.......even........close. The Float X2 is worlds better when it comes to plushness.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Iím really interested in what you think.. Iím 6í1/4Ē 33Ē inseam and when i called them they talked me out of an XL and into a L.
    Kinda like the Wreckoning, playful vs Plow/stability. Size up for the Latter.

I personally prefer the more playful.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I asked them via email about sizing also. I'm 5'11.5" with 31" inseam and the response I got was the guy at YT was 5'11" and can ride either size L or XL and buy based on my preference and trails. I'm on a L Rallon with 467 reach and L Capra 27 is 460. I don't feel like my Rallon is too long. So confused if guys taller than me are being told to go with a L when I was thinking going XL. Looking at Transition Patrol it shows 5'11" to be on a L with 475 reach. Not sure what to-do.

mtbr member
    Weird... Those sound huge to me. Definitely recommended a large, like XL wasn't even an option. I felt like the wheelbase on the XL was gigantic too though.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Weird... Those sound huge to me. Definitely recommended a large, like XL wasn't even an option. I felt like the wheelbase on the XL was gigantic too though.
    Their size chart is skewed to if you convert cm to inches. Iím just shy of 6í4Ē and leaning towards XL. Only concern is that seat tubes are so short only offering 150mm droppers for larger sized frames is going to leave a ton of exposed post.

mtbr member
    I think the best bet is to compare geometry to a bike you already own if you can. In my case the L Capra is slightly bigger in almost every measurement compared to the L Enduro. Should be perfect.

Has YT been pretty good with projected ship times in the past?
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Hey Streetdoctor - Congrats on the purchase! I'm also really keen on your ride impressions. I have a '17 enduro and am looking to move on from it...my ever-evolving short list now comprises of the htlt, rallon and capra cf. The YT is such a screaming deal, I can see myself getting a capra and hawking the enduro frame for an lt frame and swapping parts. Although I'm hopeful Santa Cruz makes their next (Nomad?) 29 in the style like YT and Orbea - steeper SA, 160 travel/slack HA, short ST and longer reach...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phclaw View Post
    Hey Streetdoctor - Congrats on the purchase! I'm also really keen on your ride impressions. I have a '17 enduro and am looking to move on from it...my ever-evolving short list now comprises of the htlt, rallon and capra cf. The YT is such a screaming deal, I can see myself getting a capra and hawking the enduro frame for an lt frame and swapping parts. Although I'm hopeful Santa Cruz makes their next (Nomad?) 29 in the style like YT and Orbea - steeper SA, 160 travel/slack HA, short ST and longer reach...
    If the Capra rides as well as the reviews are saying it'll be hard for me to ever switch to anything else. The CF Pro costs nearly the same as the Rallon frame! It's cheaper then a similarly spec'ed enduro even with a shop discount.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Spoke with YT today and the recommended XXL without question. I'm just under 6'4" and coming off of a XL OG Hightower which always felt a bit small. They said that their XL Capra was a tad smaller than XL Hightower? A lot to be said about personal preference, but pretty inconsistent recommendations with people between 6'1" and 6'4" being steered between Large and XXL without reservation. I was between this and Sentinel and outside of the shorter offset fork, the geometries are almost identical.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    This is the downside of Direct Sales, however the price is amazing for the builds.

I prefer Carbon Frames and need the time to sell my bike anyway.

thats not a downside of direct sales, its just more evident with direct sales. how many times to people go into a shop that doesn't have the exact bike they're looking for in stock (a LOT!)? shops say they can order it in, but often times the manufacturer has a delay or has completely run out of stock, or similar to what is happening with the capra right now, customers want the product before its even available. that stuff happens in all sale models.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'm here for a size recommendation also. I'm 5'10" 31" inseam. currently on a large 2015 enduro. i really like the reach, but feel like its a big bike. looking at the geometry, i like the sizing of the medium. per the sizing chart. I'm smack dab in the middle of the height range for large. a quick email to YT confirmed this.

What do you think? go with the geo numbers or go with YT recommendation? would be going with the base AL. I just think that build is such a good value.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jojotherider View Post
    I'm here for a size recommendation also. I'm 5'10" 31" inseam. currently on a large 2015 enduro. i really like the reach, but feel like its a big bike. looking at the geometry, i like the sizing of the medium. per the sizing chart. I'm smack dab in the middle of the height range for large. a quick email to YT confirmed this.

What do you think? go with the geo numbers or go with YT recommendation? would be going with the base AL. I just think that build is such a good value.
    Jojo, see my post on ( 2018 Capra 27.5 ) your question is the main reason why I posted that. I hope it helps you.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    perfect response!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Anyone got their bike yet? Would love to see real life some Pics.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Curious thoughts about seat angle...I saw that actual angle is 68 deg which is pretty slack and might put taller riders again pretty far off the back wheel as seat tubes are short. This seems to be much larger discrepancy between actual and effective compared to other modern "steeper" geometries (GG Smash for instance is 75.8 Actual and 73.5 effective). Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by kingspa09 View Post
    Curious thoughts about seat angle...I saw that actual angle is 68 deg which is pretty slack and might put taller riders again pretty far off the back wheel as seat tubes are short. This seems to be much larger discrepancy between actual and effective compared to other modern "steeper" geometries (GG Smash for instance is 75.8 Actual and 73.5 effective). Thoughts?
    Not sure where you're getting your info. The website shows the effective STA to be 75.5 in the low setting.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    NSMB measured actual angle 68deg. Look at the frame...the seattube is quite slack and measured at a level (often above height of bars where most people have it set) aka actual angle, Itís going to be slack. This coupled with the longer wheelbase could make this a problematic climber for taller riders as despite the increased chainstay length, itís still going heavily favor rear weighted climbing and cause a light front end. I wish there was a place to demo a xxl. My terrain is well suited for this travel,
    But there arenít many rides in the area with less than 2k of climbing. Looks like Sentinel and Smash are among the few brands to get a steep actual seat angle

mtbr member
    Anyone got their bike yet? Would love to see real life some Pics.
    I don't think any are available before 3/14?
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by kingspa09 View Post
    NSMB measured actual angle 68deg. Look at the frame...the seattube is quite slack and measured at a level (often above height of bars where most people have it set) aka actual angle, Itís going to be slack. This coupled with the longer wheelbase could make this a problematic climber for taller riders as despite the increased chainstay length, itís still going heavily favor rear weighted climbing and cause a light front end. I wish there was a place to demo a xxl. My terrain is well suited for this travel,
    But there arenít many rides in the area with less than 2k of climbing. Looks like Sentinel and Smash are among the few brands to get a steep actual seat angle
    Definitely see what you're saying now. I guess we will need to await the demo reports.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by albuht813 View Post
    Definitely see what you're saying now. I guess we will need to await the demo reports.
    Go check out the Wreckoning's ESA it is was not problematic for climbing. Compared to the Evil this looks to the eye much steeper. I really don't think this is an issue at all, worst case slam your seat forward.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Looking at owners shots (mainly of the 27.5 version) I noticed how slack the seatpost looked with the saddle up higher. Really made me stop and think.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by meSSican View Post
    Looking at owners shots (mainly of the 27.5 version) I noticed how slack the seatpost looked with the saddle up higher. Really made me stop and think.
    I think that is why sizing is key, you need to get the exact size to make sure you don't have a stupid long seatpost. I am for instance 6ft and have a 31" inseam so a large should be fine, SPL wise. I guess we just have to wait and see, I don't think i will be winning any climbing awards on this bike but then again its not intended for it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    im very tall (6'8) and have been wanting to buy the capra 29 in xxl. the reach and stack look good but people in this thread have been talking about the short seat tube and was wondering if you guys thought it might be too small. i could get a longer dropper (175mm) but would that even help? also wouldhaving my seat so high put me too far back on the bike? how dose the

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Do you have many other options?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I will agree, Most companies that list an effective seat tube angle the angle they are referring to has no actual (effect) on saddle position. It would be nice to have a grid system that would show reach and saddle position behind the BB at any given saddle height.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cadebucket View Post
    im very tall (6'8) and have been wanting to buy the capra 29 in xxl. the reach and stack look good but people in this thread have been talking about the short seat tube and was wondering if you guys thought it might be too small. i could get a longer dropper (175mm) but would that even help? also wouldhaving my seat so high put me too far back on the bike? how dose the

I'd say you are limited to the Capra, Hightower, Specialized or Trek for XXL sizes in a long travel 29er. I'm 6'4" and will likely go XXL if I get this bike. The seat tube is short, it not as short as the Hightower in XXL sizes or the XL transition. . I would suggest a 200mm dropper and you can just set it higher if you need. I have a similar concern that the seat will put me too far back PARTICULARLY when at ~30% sag on a Horst link bike (active, sinks into travel while climbing technical terrain). I did not like this on my Stumpjumper. But the Capra has a much steeper seat tube. So hoping it's less of an issue.

mtbr member

Own the Yeti SB55. ^^this is accurate. If I was a couple inches shorter I'd say I've found my ideal bike. It's just a bit too short on Reach and does have a seat tube longer than I like.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Own the Yeti SB55. ^^this is accurate. If I was a couple inches shorter I'd say I've found my ideal bike. It's just a bit too short on Reach and does have a seat tube longer than I like.
    The 5.5 was a little short but it felt so good on the DH and climbed so well. The wait for the Capra is like torture as i have no other bike right now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018

I'd say you are limited to the Capra, Hightower, Specialized or Trek for XXL sizes in a long travel 29er. I'm 6'4" and will likely go XXL if I get this bike. The seat tube is short, it not as short as the Hightower in XXL sizes or the XL transition. . I would suggest a 200mm dropper and you can just set it higher if you need. I have a similar concern that the seat will put me too far back PARTICULARLY when at ~30% sag on a Horst link bike (active, sinks into travel while climbing technical terrain). I did not like this on my Stumpjumper. But the Capra has a much steeper seat tube. So hoping it's less of an issue.
    What brands make a 200mm dropper? and has anyone ordered a xxl, in 27 or 29?

mtbr member
    9point8 Fall Line. https://www.9point8.ca/index.php?rou...product_id=118

I've ordered an XXL 29er... whoa boy. Think my wife will notice a giant Red and Black bike in the garage? Mid-March shipment.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    So many good bikes available at the moment makes buying decisions hard.
    Thought I was in the market for one of the new long travel 29ers but to be honest after demoing a Yeti SB5.5 and a 2018 Enduro Iím not convinced anymore. The Enduro was better than the Yeti, probably only due to better fit , but both felt firm in suspension function and not very playful or precise with the wagon wheels. Now the 2018 N4 Nomad i demoed was amazing but hell they are expensive in a decent build spec, hence me visiting this post. Really looking forward to some rider reviews of the new Capra, donít trust ďpaidĒ magazine reviews much. If the Capra rides anything like the Nomad at the far reduced buy in price itíll top my list.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFish View Post
    So many good bikes available at the moment makes buying decisions hard.
    Thought I was in the market for one of the new long travel 29ers but to be honest after demoing a Yeti SB5.5 and a 2018 Enduro Iím not convinced anymore. The Enduro was better than the Yeti, probably only due to better fit , but both felt firm in suspension function and not very playful or precise with the wagon wheels. Now the 2018 N4 Nomad i demoed was amazing but hell they are expensive in a decent build spec, hence me visiting this post. Really looking forward to some rider reviews of the new Capra, donít trust ďpaidĒ magazine reviews much. If the Capra rides anything like the Nomad at the far reduced buy in price itíll top my list.
    I'm with you. New nomad sounds exactly like what I'm looking for but not willing do pay that price. I'm looking at the Capra in the 27.5 wheel but what has stopped me is the Pro first ride reviews saying its progressive and gives a lot of feedback. Loam Wolf review said it had a harsh feel on fast choppy sections..... I believe the 29er is even more "sporty". If I could find a coil shock for it then that may make it more to my hold on and plow style but none to be found. Like you not sold on pro reviews.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I cannot wait to read more reviews on this bike! I am contemplating between the Jeffsy and Capra. My local trails are very tame but an hour away has some decent jump lines and 3-4hrs away has some bike parks and shuttle stuff that I plan on doing.

I just demoed a 2018 Enduro 27.5 Pro this past weekend. I rode a lot of my local trails and then decided to take it to the jump lines I found about an hour from me. Very much a confidence inspiring bike but no one will ever confuse it with an XC bike! It had a little pedal bob which I'd expect from 170mm travel bike. I wouldn't say I was sold on the Enduro. I'd like to ride the HTLT and current Nomad, but again comparing the price I'd say YT and Canyon are the way to go.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by meSSican View Post
    I'm with you. New nomad sounds exactly like what I'm looking for but not willing do pay that price. I'm looking at the Capra in the 27.5 wheel but what has stopped me is the Pro first ride reviews saying its progressive and gives a lot of feedback. Loam Wolf review said it had a harsh feel on fast choppy sections..... I believe the 29er is even more "sporty". If I could find a coil shock for it then that may make it more to my hold on and plow style but none to be found. Like you not sold on pro reviews.
    A dhx2 230x65 (or 60) with 8x40/9x40 mounting hardware works great according to YT. Not sure where you couldnít find a coil... Iím pretty sure the DVO coil comes in metric as well as RS too... The only coil not available yet is an 11-6 and with the fact that the bike isnít even out yet it doesnít surprise me. The more emails push gets the faster theyíll fit one. Iíve already offered my bike up to them when I get it although they didnít seem interested.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    A dhx2 230x65 (or 60) with 8x40/9x40 mounting hardware works great according to YT. Not sure where you couldnít find a coil... Iím pretty sure the DVO coil comes in metric as well as RS too... The only coil not available yet is an 11-6 and with the fact that the bike isnít even out yet it doesnít surprise me. The more emails push gets the faster theyíll fit one. Iíve already offered my bike up to them when I get it although they didnít seem interested.
    I was referring to the 27.5 as it uses a 250x70 I believe. Hopefully one comes out for it but not sure.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Why would Push not want to make a shock. YT is going to sell alot of these bikes, would make sense to make one ASAP.

This bike would be great with a coil.

mtbr member
    I've ordered an XXL 29er... whoa boy. Think my wife will notice a giant Red and Black bike in the garage? Mid-March shipment.
    Looking at the number of bikes in your signature I'd say....Naaahh.

mtbr member
    Ooops...editing signature. I've only got the Yeti right now.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'm interested to learn how well this bike pedals long climbs without a climb switch. I've got my eyes set on the base AL model and the SuperDeluxe R lacks a climb switch.

mtbr member
    Why would Push not want to make a shock. YT is going to sell alot of these bikes, would make sense to make one ASAP.

This bike would be great with a coil.
    Push does custom fitting and fab all in-house. They schedule bike fitments based on consumer demand. They keep files on most new bikes with running tallies for fitment requests. They arenít a giant company... just a handful of people in a 2 unit building. If you want to see an 11-6 for the new capra you need to email and request it- sales@pushindustries.com i spoke to them in depth a couple weeks ago, and the shop I ride for has a good relationship with them (im local). They have a long list of fitments scheduled already with all the new bikes coming out. They also need to get there hands on a bike to actually do the fitment and companies like YT canít compete with trek or yeti with production numbers. When I spoke to them shortly after the release I was the only one who had expressed interest and they didnít seem like it was a high priority. That will change with more emails. Dooooo it.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast