2018 YT Capra 29 - Page 7- Mtbr.com
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Results 1,201 to 1,236 of 1236
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I think the shocks will have a different tune. Aside from that,
    I can imagine all that much will be different.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by billb0872 View Post
    I think the shocks will have a different tune. Aside from that,
    I can imagine all that much will be different.
    This is what a dealer just told me, it sounds like totally different shocks (at least the end piece).

"No, the bearing mount on the RS Super Deluxe cannot be easily removed. You would need to replace the damper body with a standard eyelet version which would require a rebuild."

Bummer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    I got recommended not to use a bearing mount due to possible clearance issue so my RS superdeluxe is a bushing Mount. I got 230x65 size though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018 YT Capra 29-2d2de204-83a6-43fb-bc98-9084af04772d.jpg  

2018 YT Capra 29-9d1afa90-7440-4108-9949-7fce82a610f6.jpg  

Last edited by andreaslundin; 07-21-2019 at 10:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Same here. When I bought my SuperDeluxe coil I was told by the RS rep the bearing version wouldn't work so I got the bushing version. Love it! I do however know a guy who has the bearing version on his XL Capra and says he hasn't had a problem with it...

2018 YT Capra 29-capra_lcp1-2-.jpg
    2018 YT Capra 29-capra3.jpg
    2013 Scott Genius 27.5
    2016 YT Capra 27.5
    2018 YT Capra 29

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Been doing some experimentation with different wheel sizes. I ran 29x2.6 front and 27.5x2.8 rear -- high flip position -- for about a month. This combo wasn't great. I could have maybe tweaked some things but the front was just too high and running a 44mm offset fork the steering response was poor.

Before retreating back to 29's I decided to run 27.5x2.8 front and rear just out of curiosity (pic). To my surprise it felt.... pretty awesome. The bike is def lower but manageable (measured ~340mm bb height). With that low bb turn in and cornering felt great. Traction was immense. Steering feels much better to me with 44mm offset fork in this setup than with the 29s front and rear I had on before.

Trading a bit of roll over invincibility for agility and fun....I may run it this way for a while. Didn't expect that! Anyway nice to know it's possible to mix it up if you want.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Anyone with a 180 mm fork? How did it work for you? I am on 170 but want to try with higher front end. Currently got 40 mm bars and apex stem for a bit of rise. Question if it is a good idea or not.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    What was your full setup.
    29x2.6 front and 27.5x2.8 rear -- high flip position
    You have a push shock so I assume 230x65 ? for 170mm travel
    What was the front fork travel? and that was with the 44mm offset, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by trumphair View Post
    Been doing some experimentation with different wheel sizes. I ran 29x2.6 front and 27.5x2.8 rear -- high flip position -- for about a month. This combo wasn't great. I could have maybe tweaked some things but the front was just too high and running a 44mm offset fork the steering response was poor.
    I am interested in experimenting with the mullet setup.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by blackj View Post
    What was your full setup.
    29x2.6 front and 27.5x2.8 rear -- high flip position
    You have a push shock so I assume 230x65 ? for 170mm travel
    What was the front fork travel? and that was with the 44mm offset, yes?

I am interested in experimenting with the mullet setup.

Thanks
    Yes 170mm Push ACS coil front (44mm offset) and 170mm Push rear. 29x2.6 Magic Mary in the front and 27.5x2.8 Hans Dampf in the back.

The 2.6 Magic Mary is a pretty huge tire....it may work better with something smaller. I didn't adjust my cockpit at all so some tweaks may have also helped but overall it didn't feel like a good enough start to spend a lot of effort trying to make it work.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Does anyone know if One up 210 mm dropper post fit the xxl 29er? Itís either than or bike yoke at almost double the price. Canít make friends with the e13 dropper.

And because I can, here is my first run down a local DH trail. Rock garden was nuts.

mtbr member
    I fit the 200mm fall line in mine with no problem. XXL frame.
    2019 Yeti SB130 LR XL
    2018 YT Capra CF Pro 29er XXL - sold
    2016 Yeti SB5.5c XL - sold

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Seems like it may work. How did you like the fall line? I like the idea about the bike yoke but itís expensive. The oneup looks good too. I can get away with up to 200 mm depending on the collar length.

mtbr member
    Fall line is excellent. A little tricky on install because the cable length must be trimmed just right (some slack, but tight enough to trigger). I give it a 5/5.
    2019 Yeti SB130 LR XL
    2018 YT Capra CF Pro 29er XXL - sold
    2016 Yeti SB5.5c XL - sold

bike rider
    I run a 200mm Fall Line on my Capra and it's been perfect for 1 1/2 years now. Anything shorter feels like a compromise on a bike like this.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    I run a 200mm Fall Line on my Capra and it's been perfect for 1 1/2 years now. Anything shorter feels like a compromise on a bike like this.
    No issue with it slammed? Yt state 275 mm but it seems too short

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by andreaslundin View Post
    No issue with it slammed? Yt state 275 mm but it seems too short
    I have a good bit of post sticking out of the frame. I'm a very leggy 6'1" on a large.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Anyone try a 180mm fork on a Capra 29? My Lyrik is due for a full rebuild, I'm thinking of dropping in the 180mm air spring.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by J2D2 View Post
    Anyone try a 180mm fork on a Capra 29? My Lyrik is due for a full rebuild, I'm thinking of dropping in the 180mm air spring.
    Have a 180mm MRP Bartlett. Great fork but travel wise I don't think I've ever used the extra travel even making poor choices in the bike park.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Can anyone compare the Capra to a Trek Slash or Commencial Meta 29?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Just curious if anyone else is left a little disappointed with their Capra 29. I was super excited to get the bike but I have never felt super comfortable on it. In particular I feel like the rear end is harsh on high speed small events. The rear end ends up skipping around quite a bit and I find myself struggling for traction. Does anybody have similar feedback or something else they wish was different about the bike?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by smjergie View Post
    Just curious if anyone else is left a little disappointed with their Capra 29. I was super excited to get the bike but I have never felt super comfortable on it. In particular I feel like the rear end is harsh on high speed small events. The rear end ends up skipping around quite a bit and I find myself struggling for traction. Does anybody have similar feedback or something else they wish was different about the bike?
    Which rear shock do you have? This sounds like a rear shock setup issue.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Consider yourself lucky. I was expecting mine three weeks ago and it hasn't even been dispatched yet. Sad face.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by TMO8853 View Post
    Which rear shock do you have? This sounds like a rear shock setup issue.
    I have ridden a few different RS shocks. Super Deluxe RC3, Super Deluxe RCT, and Deluxe Ultimate. My favorite by by far is the Deluxe Ultimate but I still feel like it is too harsh for 160mm of travel. All 3 are L compression tune and either M or L rebound.

mtbr member
    I have ridden a few different RS shocks. Super Deluxe RC3, Super Deluxe RCT, and Deluxe Ultimate. My favorite by by far is the Deluxe Ultimate but I still feel like it is too harsh for 160mm of travel. All 3 are L compression tune and either M or L rebound.
    Have you tried running more sag? Of course under sprung shocks will create harshness through wallowing too. Is the rebound fast enough to keep up?

I have a decoy, which has the same kinematics and its definitely not harsh. I'm also running the bomber cr coil, which helps smooth out the rear.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    No such issue on the Fox X2. And since I pushed it, smooth as silk.

mtbr member
    Just sharing some stoke on this bike. Iíve had the 29 goat since spring 2018. Intended to have it as a single quiver bike. Then I walked into a deal on a friends used Intense Primer. I made a great trail bike out of the Primer and turned the Capra into a park bike. It had 180 Lyrik Smashpot, 1.5 Works Angleset, Super Deluxe Coil and a 27.5 rear wheel. It was a great park bike. Like really good. But I broke the Primer when I fell down a mountain in a crash. Iím ok. Thanks. So Iím back on the Capra 29 as a single bike. Fork is back to 160, still with the angleset. Still have the coil, 29 wheel on the back in the high setting. I had forgotten how versatile this bike is. Does not climb like a raped ape, but itís plenty efficient and the seated position is perfect for me. And man is it a blast on corners, chunk, drops and all the cool stuff that one finds on average Colorado high country trails.

Anyhow, nothing to add to the thread. Just stoked on the ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Moral of the story, you blew up your intense trail riding, your Capra had no issue with DH, and now you are back to one bike to rule them all.

I agree on this bike, not a rocket on the climbs, but plenty serviceable. Animal going down. Way more capable in both disciplines than any bike has the right to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Truck View Post
    Just sharing some stoke on this bike. Iíve had the 29 goat since spring 2018. Intended to have it as a single quiver bike. Then I walked into a deal on a friends used Intense Primer. I made a great trail bike out of the Primer and turned the Capra into a park bike. It had 180 Lyrik Smashpot, 1.5 Works Angleset, Super Deluxe Coil and a 27.5 rear wheel. It was a great park bike. Like really good. But I broke the Primer when I fell down a mountain in a crash. Iím ok. Thanks. So Iím back on the Capra 29 as a single bike. Fork is back to 160, still with the angleset. Still have the coil, 29 wheel on the back in the high setting. I had forgotten how versatile this bike is. Does not climb like a raped ape, but itís plenty efficient and the seated position is perfect for me. And man is it a blast on corners, chunk, drops and all the cool stuff that one finds on average Colorado high country trails.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    For anyone that has fitted a dual crown fork to their capra, did you have to do anything special, such as change the headset or get a special crown race or anything like that? From what i can see on google, most of the dual crown forks have straight steerers, whereas the single crown forks that come on the bikes have tapered steerer tubes. I would like to try a dual crown on my 29 pro race...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by InstantBreakfast View Post
    For anyone that has fitted a dual crown fork to their capra, did you have to do anything special, such as change the headset or get a special crown race or anything like that? From what i can see on google, most of the dual crown forks have straight steerers, whereas the single crown forks that come on the bikes have tapered steerer tubes. I would like to try a dual crown on my 29 pro race...
    You may just need a crown race. Cane creek makes a conversion race that allows you to run a 1 1/8 steerer on a 1.5 bottom headset cup. I'm not sure if it is specific to cane creek headsets though or if you can use it on the Acros that most YT's have. I'm putting a MRP Bartlett on my 27.5 Capra this week so i'll let you know how it goes. I contacted YT and they said as long as the race has a 45 degree bearing seat angle it should work. Worst case scenario, new headset.
    Update. Went with a Cane creek 40 ZS 56 lower assembly 1 1/2 to 1 1/8 reducer. About $40
    Last edited by broccoli rob; 09-11-2019 at 09:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Monster Truck View Post

What Angleset did you put on your Capra - specific model and sizing would be greatly appreciated? Thx

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    I thought I should do an update on my dropper upgrade on my XXL bike. I ended up with a bikeyoke for two reasons. 1. I found I prefers the 185 drop to the 200 or 210. 2. It had solid reputation and is self serviceable. Could t be happier.

I did have a mishap on my last DH race and snapped a chain which ended up causing a lot of trouble. A new seat stay is on its way on crash warranty BUT I fixed the current one for now so I can race next weekend as the new parts are 4-6 weeks away. I used the downtime to have a tractive tune done on my Coil RS which arrives on Friday.

Testing my dodge fix and the fresh shock this weekend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018 YT Capra 29-df926976-53ab-4abc-8192-f2f41ee55b13.jpg  

2018 YT Capra 29-5a6922f4-c23d-44e9-93b7-575a59097934.jpg  

2018 YT Capra 29-4f159a43-7bac-4fac-b840-97963d89299b.jpg  

Last edited by andreaslundin; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Is that some kind of epoxy?

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    JB weld and hoping for the best.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Anyone install 210mm One Up dropper in their XL frame? If so how far can it be inserted into the seat tube (I guess that applies to any seat post for that matter)? I have a long inseam (36Ē) so Iím looking for as much drop as possible but donít want to buy that dropper post if there is a limit to how far it can go into the frame and it ends up being to far out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    I got told the official insert depth is 275mm BUT when I measured it looks like a bit more. For me to use a 210 dropper I had to have it slammed and I didnít want to take the risk on the insertion depth. However I am 6í3 with lots of trunk. I would guess you will be fine but measure to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by stuie321 View Post
    Anyone install 210mm One Up dropper in their XL frame? If so how far can it be inserted into the seat tube (I guess that applies to any seat post for that matter)? I have a long inseam (36Ē) so Iím looking for as much drop as possible but donít want to buy that dropper post if there is a limit to how far it can go into the frame and it ends up being to far out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    My JB Weld fix held up just fine. Did a snow-dirt-road race in Australia. I had one of my fastest crashes but walked out of it just fine. Crash watch from 34.00 min

Last edited by andreaslundin; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by andreaslundin View Post
    My JB Weld fix held up just fine. Did a snow-dirt-road race in Australia. I had one of my fastest crashes but walked out of it just fine. Crash watch from 34.00 min

Awesome video. Looked like a fun race, thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567