2018 YT Capra 29 - Page 12- Mtbr.com
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
Results 1,101 to 1,199 of 1199
    mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by MatiCK View Post
    Fork from capra 29 al comp 2019 have fit grip2 or fit?
    Grip2. Basically, the Fox 36 Performance Elite has the same functionality as the Factory version, just without the Kashima coating.

Although YT is not really precise on its website, the X2 in the AL Comp does not have the additional HSC and HSR adjustability of the Factory version. However, apart from the standard settings, you can adjust LSC and LSR.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Love the revised look with the white decals. The orange accents never did it for me. Any way you could point me in the direction of where you got those sticker kits?

mtbr member
    GRIP2

Edit: didn't see previous answer

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by billb0872 View Post
    I sent a message to YT, was curious on team feedback.. I guess it is still 51mm offset..

ď I apologize about that, it is a typo on the website. The 2019 Capra Pro Race fork is a 51mm offset as Fox does not produce a 170mm 36 with a 44mm offset. Hang tight and we will get that fixed asapĒ
    Also apparently that's only due to the fork not existing, since the 29" Capra CF Pro allegedely comes with a Lyric with a 42mm offset.

mtbr member
    Not entirely true... The Fox Performance Elite doesn't come with reduced offset. But the Factory model does come in a 44mm offset with Grip2 damper:
    https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pro...Recurring+Recs

Edit...that is a 160. Forgot the Pro Race has a 170.
    Last edited by LaCostaClydesdale; 02-25-2019 at 01:17 PM. Reason: more info
    2019 Yeti SB130 LR XL
    2018 YT Capra CF Pro 29er XXL - sold
    2016 Yeti SB5.5c XL - sold

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    The YT website still says 44 mm rake for the PE fork on the Capra 27 and 29 AL Comp as well as for the Factory fork on the Capra 27 and 29 CF Pro Race. However, I am only 90% sure that this is correct.
    So can we assume that at least for the 160 mm PE fork on the Capra 29 AL Comp 44 mm is correct?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have been actively thinking about going reduced offset fork, I DMíd the team at YT. The quote I shared above was their reply. Unless folks receiving 2019 bikes chime in letting us know how bikes are specs on arrival, I am not sure we will get a concrete answer.

For people getting their 2019s with Fox gear, run the code on the Fox website and let us know what it says on offset.

Quote Originally Posted by Lando555 View Post
    The YT website still says 44 mm rake for the PE fork on the Capra 27 and 29 AL Comp as well as for the Factory fork on the Capra 27 and 29 CF Pro Race. However, I am only 90% sure that this is correct.
    So can we assume that at least for the 160 mm PE fork on the Capra 29 AL Comp 44 mm is correct?
    Last edited by billb0872; 02-26-2019 at 03:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PetrolHead209 View Post
    How's the Capra going? I just ordered a medium - the website said the medium size was suitable for those 5'3 upwards so thought I'dd be OK at just under 5'6, although I have short legs too.
    How tall are you, and how do you find the reach?

Cheers!
    hey- just sharing my experience. I came from a med nomad v3 (last gen) and for me the sm/med 29 feels great. not much of a adjustment from the 27.5 wheels at all and the wheelbase doesnt feel too long which i was worried about. You're gonna love it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by LaCostaClydesdale View Post
    Not entirely true... The Fox Performance Elite doesn't come with reduced offset. But the Factory model does come in a 44mm offset with Grip2 damper:
    https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pro...Recurring+Recs

Edit...that is a 160. Forgot the Pro Race has a 170.
    The Pivot Firebird 29 does come with a 170mm Fox Factory 36 Grip 2 fork with 44mm offset.

https://www.descendmountainbike.com/...ivotendurobike

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    My CF capra creaks were coming from set tube - seat post area. Carbon mounting grease and a bit tighter torque on seatpost screw resolved the problem.

mtbr member
    SB150 also has a 170mm 36 with 44mm offset. Pretty sure Fox will build the forks however YT desires.

I am also curious on offset for 2019 Capra 29ers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hey what model Capra do you have? I just test fitted a bearing mount Super Deluxe on my 2018 Capra Al 29 and it doesnít look like itís going to work. The diameter of the bearing mount seems to be keeping the bolt holes from lining up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    What model Capra do you have? I test fitted a bearing mount super deluxe on my AL 29er and the diameter of the bearings seem to be keeping the holes from lining up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Hello fellow Capra owners! Greetings from Finland! Just purchased a new 2019 Capra Pro CF model! I have been extremely happy with it. Bike is just great!!

Size L fits perfectly for me (I am 174cm or 5'8).

I updated the stem and bars to suit better my riding position.

Here is my bike:

2018 YT Capra 29-capra_ed.jpg

Today I did some maintenance and I am just wondering the quite small tolerance between the rear brake rotor and the frame. But this must be normal?

2018 YT Capra 29-capra_gap.jpg

Thanks for any comments, cheers!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Did some comparison on my friends bikes; Scott and Cannondale - both had similar 'tight' tolerances between rear brake rotor and frame, even smaller... so all good!

Learning something new bike tech every day ;-)

mtbr member
    Just checked another Capra 29 and yeah, fairly tight between the frame and rotor. Glad you're liking your Capra. That black and white colorway looks great. Have fun!

BTW, what did you use for the rear fender?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Thanks kwapik,

The rear fender is this:

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/...stealth-684082

The bottom bracket is protected with this one:

https://www.rockguardz.com/rockguard...ockguardz.html

The carbon rockguardz looks really nice, and it does not need any glue etc. to be attached - it just fits perfectly...

The rims has some custom decal stickers to give that 'camo' look...

Yep, Capra exceeded my expectations for a enduro bike! And I think it goes really well on 'flatter' trails also!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari71 View Post
    Thanks kwapik,

The rear fender is this:

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/...stealth-684082

The bottom bracket is protected with this one:

https://www.rockguardz.com/rockguard...ockguardz.html

The carbon rockguardz looks really nice, and it does not need any glue etc. to be attached - it just fits perfectly...

The rims has some custom decal stickers to give that 'camo' look...

Yep, Capra exceeded my expectations for a enduro bike! And I think it goes really well on 'flatter' trails also!
    Thanks for the links.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I get some worrying "snap" noises from what appears to be the head tube, on harder impacts. Or just from slamming the front of the bike into the ground, though it doesn't always happen. The headset is tight enough, it's clean and greased. There is no play. I have pretty much ruled out the possibility of it being the cables that are hanging from the handlebar smacking into one another. It could be the cables internally, although if I pull them from the holes on the frame they don't really come, they don't seem loose enough to be able to slap the frame from the inside with such force. It's a CF Capra, I guess if it was aluminum it would reverberate more like a "clank". Has anyone else had this happen?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Could it be the fork CSU? A cheap stethoscope will help you find the source pretty quickly. If it make a loud sound under impact, it should still make a quieter sound that you can detect via testing in a work stand. This has saved me many times, especially when I though bearings were bad, or had noise coming from a seatpost. Stopped me from spending lots of time and money fixing all possible options, got me quickly to the source of the problem.

https://smile.amazon.com/Ever-Ready-...s%2C143&sr=8-7

Quote Originally Posted by Knyfzedge View Post
    I get some worrying "snap" noises from what appears to be the head tube, on harder impacts. Or just from slamming the front of the bike into the ground, though it doesn't always happen. The headset is tight enough, it's clean and greased. There is no play. I have pretty much ruled out the possibility of it being the cables that are hanging from the handlebar smacking into one another. It could be the cables internally, although if I pull them from the holes on the frame they don't really come, they don't seem loose enough to be able to slap the frame from the inside with such force. It's a CF Capra, I guess if it was aluminum it would reverberate more like a "clank". Has anyone else had this happen?

bike rider
    My stock headset made similar sounds under the same conditions until I replaced it with a Cane Creek 110. I was kind of blaming the CSU but replaced the headset just to see what happens.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I replaced the upper headset with another one from a broken dh frame that I had laying around and the "snap" sound hasn't returned. That's a bit odd since the Acros one that I took out seems to be in great condition...

bike rider
    Yeah, my Acros was only a month or so old and looked brand new but replacing it with the 110 silenced the front end.

mtbr member
    I replaced the upper headset with another one from a broken dh frame that I had laying around and the "snap" sound hasn't returned. That's a bit odd since the Acros one that I took out seems to be in great condition...
    The stock Acros has a plastic compression ring that isn't split - it doesn't surprise me at all that it's causing a problem even though the bearings are fine. I'd guess if you just replaced the compression ring with one from Cane Creek, the noise would go away.

bike rider
    Good point. If I could do it again I'd cut a split in the ring and try that before buying the 110.

mtbr member
    [Edited...posted in the wrong thread!]

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Finally had the Push refitted for the Capra, first ride today. I thought the X2 was great, the 11-6 is even better. Set it up for Trail and DH, out of the box perfect.

It rides higher in the sag, a bit less susceptible to pedal strikes on the tech, also a great position for climbing. Set up as HD trail, high-setting.

2018 YT Capra 29-fcee95f3-db84-4f9b-8ad3-a90d887361f4.jpg
    2018 YT Capra 29-f65bbd43-3c5c-4a81-81c8-cd551c6625a8.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Heiril View Post
    Medium is the right size. I am 5'4. Inseam 29". Reach and standover are fine. Don't feel stretched out as compared to my 2016 Canyon Strive. Just the stock 150mm dropper need some getting used to.

Other bike reference, am on small 2017 Yeti SB6 with 125mm Fox Transfer dropper. Feels just right.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    I 'm exactly the same dimensions with you but i m worry about the reach, do you fell ok with the reach? Do you feel maybe need a shorter stem?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by antongial View Post
    I 'm exactly the same dimensions with you but i m worry about the reach, do you fell ok with the reach? Do you feel maybe need a shorter stem?

No worries about the reach. The stock 50mm stem works fine for me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Heiril View Post
    No worries about the reach. The stock 50mm stem works fine for me.

thanks bro!

mtbr member
    May 2015
    So gents, eCapra is out. Do we have to move on or are we staying fully human powered? The opportunity to increase the downhill time on a Capra is, well, very tempting.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I suggest you start a brand new/ dedicated forum.

Quote Originally Posted by roQer View Post
    So gents, eCapra is out. Do we have to move on or are we staying fully human powered? The opportunity to increase the downhill time on a Capra is, well, very tempting.

mtbr member

2018 YT Capra 29

I suggest you start a brand new/ dedicated forum.
    That was a very civil reply! Kudos for not being a dick, bill! Roqer if you go on about ebikes here you will undoubtedly get dragged and flamed. I have a decoy on order but I know to keep my ebike love out of the forum. I agree with Bill, would hate to see this thread get jacked by ehaters.

mtbr member
    Yes, it's refreshing to see politeness on a bike forum. Looks like a Decoy thread is already up and running.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Bikes are back in stock now but no word on early shipping on preordered bikes?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    All models are currently 10% off in the US. This is not an Aprils fools joke, they've been on sale since Saturday due to the opening of the new show room. I feel like $550 off the Pro Race Capra 29er was a steal, pretty much the same discount they offer during black Friday for the top spec models. I went ahead and ordered one... looking forward to trying out the big wheels.

I currently ride a 2017 Capra CF in 27.5, so hopefully it will be an easy transition.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TMO8853 View Post
    All models are currently 10% off in the US. This is not an Aprils fools joke, they've been on sale since Saturday due to the opening of the new show room. I feel like $550 off the Pro Race Capra 29er was a steal, pretty much the same discount they offer during black Friday for the top spec models. I went ahead and ordered one... looking forward to trying out the big wheels.

I currently ride a 2017 Capra CF in 27.5, so hopefully it will be an easy transition.
    Dang, did I miss this? I'm just seeing regular price.

mtbr member
    Yeah you probably did...you had to add the bike into your shopping cart to see the discount, but I'm not seeing that anymore...

mtbr member
    The discount expired on April 2nd.

mtbr member

2018 YT Capra 29

What coil shocks are people running? I think a tuned Marzocchi Bomber CR would be awesome for DH but idk if the complete lack of platform would bob like mad. Does anybody have an opinion here? People with coils and a climb lever, do you always use it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    @purplemtnslayer I do use the switch on my 11-6. I have it built for trail mode and DH mode. I donít think the switch is necessary, but I like it.

Push claims it is like having two bikes and I kinda get the idea. The shock is great in all conditions in either mode.

If I forget the bike in DH mode the penalty on the climb is minor.

When it is in trail mode it is still very capable on DH, perhaps even playful, but it is noticeably more firm.

Same bike, equally capable in each mode, two different personalities.

Big benefit is that it sits higher in the sag and is still super responsive. It is less prone to pedal strikes. I havenít tried it in low setting on the coil, it will do that pretty soon.

My experience after about 100 miles on the shock.
    Last edited by billb0872; 04-06-2019 at 03:54 AM.

mtbr member
    It's not an 11-6 (wish it was but not in the budget) but I love my RS Super Deluxe Coil. Once I got it dialed it's been awesome. I like having the climb switch but I agree that the bike climbs nearly equally good with the shock open. Having the coil just creates soooo much traction. YT really should spec this bike with a coil option. It rides great!
    2013 Scott Genius 27.5
    2016 YT Capra 27.5
    2018 YT Capra 29

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Did the AL bikes go on sale?

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleMtnSlayer View Post
    What coil shocks are people running? I think a tuned Marzocchi Bomber CR would be awesome for DH but idk if the complete lack of platform would bob like mad. Does anybody have an opinion here? People with coils and a climb lever, do you always use it?
    I use the switch on my DHX2 a lot but more to change the position than eliminate pedal bob. I like how the back end sits a little higher and the seat tube is a little steeper with the switch flipped but it pedals fine without it (though I do run more LSC and spring than most people my size).

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Hello, I m a little confused between al and al comp models I prefer dt swiss wheelset with maxis tyres and nx eagle from al but my only issue is the super delux without climbe switch. So i m looking for the al comp model with Foxies but I m worry about e13 stuff..

mtbr member
    Personally, I have not had any issues with any of the e*13 components. Everything works great. I wasn't sure about the seat post with pre set drop points, but it's a not a concern.

I have read of some problems though. So as is the case with anything, there's good and bad.

mtbr member
    Has anyone confirmed what offset is being used for 2019 on the Capra 29? The website states reduced offsets (42 & 44) but there was previous speculation in this thread that it wasn't correct. Can anyone confirm this year's fork offsets?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    Has anyone confirmed what offset is being used for 2019 on the Capra 29? The website states reduced offsets (42 & 44) but there was previous speculation in this thread that it wasn't correct. Can anyone confirm this year's fork offsets?

Thanks!
    the al comp model with fox 36 from yt site 44 mm but I have the same question about al base model lyrik rc

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Direct from YT. Not speculation.

2018 YT Capra 29-460b82be-6678-4de9-8756-1ce0cc70ff87.jpg

mtbr member
    I remember seeing that info from YT posted previously but that came in January and the reduced offsets are still listed on the website.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    What about the other bikes advertising short offsets, like the sb150, that advertise having a reduced offset 170mm fox 36?

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I bought a Fox 36 170mm with a 44mm offset in December so it exists. It took about a month to get it....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I have been riding my Capra with a short offset Lyrik for a few months now. I just did some back to back runs with my 2 forks (42 and 51 offset both 160 Lyrik RC2) and the difference is negligible in my opinion. You would have to be really in tune with your bike to feel the difference. There are pros and cons for both.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I was going to buy the short offset CSU after I installed my coil. Pulled the plug on the short offset. The coil perfects this bike IMO. Less sag off the top, slightly steeper angles for head tube and seat tube. Less pedal strikes. Very responsive in tight turns. I ride it in high setting for HD trail, use trail and DH shock modes equally. My buddy said I look like a kid because of the lines I am Hitting and the bikes willingness to pop off anything. I am 47, I look, act, and yeah, feel like a kid with this thing. Only thing left to do is give it a try in the low setting.

2018 YT Capra 29-3dc45196-4559-426c-a3ee-2388972d8eb7.jpg
    2018 YT Capra 29-cd78f5f5-5f71-438c-a093-4893b2e5be37.jpg
    2018 YT Capra 29-8a3464d6-c4a2-49e3-93e0-11c528b8cbfe.jpg

mtbr member
    *like*

mtbr member
    Did you do a coil conversion on the front?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Stock 2019 Fox 36 factory for me, no coil kit.

Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    Did you do a coil conversion on the front?

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    This will be my first post in this thread but I have been reading all comments over the last few months. Thank you for all of those who given their thoughts on the bike, especially the bigger XXL crew. I currently have a Canyon Spectral but in size L (190 cm tall and 100kg kitted up). I wanted a Capra over a year ago but the size XXL was sold out so had to wait until 2019 models came out. I ordered mine 10 minutes after they got released but in Australia I wont have it until the start to mid May. Due to others comments and curiosity I have already bough a RS Super deluxe coil with a Nukeproof SLS 550 coil. I life a higher front end so got 40 mm rise bars and rise stem waiting as well. I got something special in mind once it arrives and will post the progress photos...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I have these slack in my frame capra 29 cf 2018. and I have a "clonk clonk" type sound that I do not know how to eliminate and I guess it is because of these 2 problems, the right bottom braket I can remove it with my hand, and eb change of geometry with the flipclips there is another slack that surely is the noise problem. Is someone having these problems ????? and t is not responding to my warranty messages.http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5cc5d4fa...425-WA0007.mp4http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5cc5d513...425-WA0008.mp4

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Hi everyone, Iím new to this thread. Does anyone know what the replacement brake pads are for the sram code r brakes? Thanks

mtbr member
    FYI for those interested. With all the top dogs ( not all, just the ones winning ) running the 29/27.5 bikes, I figured that I would see what happens on the Capra 29 in this format. We just checked geometry changes. Any opinions about how it rides will be personal. I personally do get my a$$ wipes by my rear tire a few times a year so it has my interest to try the mullet.

Large Capra 29 with a 180 Lyrik/ -1.5 degree angleset is the bike. HTA 62 to start.

In 29/29 front tire is a 2.3 Butcher, rear tire is 2.3 Agressor. Tires are essentially the same volume. Testing done in the low setting.

In mullet we used same front tire, rear is a 27.5 2.6Ē Specialized Eliminator. Testing done in high setting. Rear tire is slightly larger volume.

Measuring HA, STA showed zero change between 29/29 low and 29/27.5 high.

By math this makes sense. You drop the rear end by (622mm-584mm)/2 = 19. BB moves 2/3 this much due to being positioned 2/3 of the way back from the front axle to the rear. So the BB drops 12mm. By the geo chart from YT the high setting is 10mm higher BB. The 2mm difference is tire 2.6 vs 2.3.

I havenít ridden it in this setting. Had to borrow the rear wheel for measurement. But it works. Iíll likely give it a go this summer once we get a proper DH track melted out. For trail riding the 29/29 is very good for me.

Enjoy

mtbr member
    Just picked up my 29 xl Capra base yesterday, super excited.
    2018 YT Capra 29-ab4ec814-7761-4165-8cd8-44dd131c2376.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Thatís cool to know. So you can just throw a 27.5 wheel on the rear, set the bike at the high position and you obtain basically the same geo as in low 29/29 configuration?

mtbr member
    The mullet is just more fun!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shawn3210 View Post
    Just picked up my 29 xl Capra base yesterday, super excited.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AB4EC814-7761-4165-8CD8-44DD131C2376.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	629.6 KB 
ID:	1250759
    Looking good!

mtbr member
    Yes, that is what we checked and it checked out. So if someone wanted to do timed testing of 29/29 vs 29/27.5 then this is one of several bikes where itís easy-peasy. Change rear wheel, change shock position. Same geo. Done.
    Last edited by Monster Truck; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:20 PM. Reason: Spelling

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by smjergie View Post
    I have been riding my Capra with a short offset Lyrik for a few months now. I just did some back to back runs with my 2 forks (42 and 51 offset both 160 Lyrik RC2) and the difference is negligible in my opinion. You would have to be really in tune with your bike to feel the difference. There are pros and cons for both.
    Did you notice any difference on flatter mellower trails?

I have spent time with my bike in both high and low modes. What I've found is that steering was more precise in high mode. However I think it gave up just a touch riding steeps. I generally do a mix of riding when I go out so I'm looking for the best of both worlds. I was thinking a low offset fork in low mode would do the trick.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Has anyone replaced the PF bottom bracket of the 2018 CF Pro and have one they recommend? Size?

mtbr member
    PF92 is the bottom bracket. These thread together bottom brackets are good:

https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/bb86-92.html

I've used them with great success. I hear the Hope ones are good also, but never tried a PF version myself.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thank You very much. Appreciated.

The wheels MF look nice...

I have one of these in my drawer...

Saint.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ...-BB71-41A.html

OK?

Will look at the wheels for long term, but good to use up what I have too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    2020 PE definitely comes 170 capable in 44mm.

You might need to buy the 160 and swap the airshaft.

I just bought a 2020 PE Grip2 and am staying at 160, but know it goes to 170.

Talk to Ethan at DirtMerchant if you are in the USA. He will switch it to 170 air shaft for $30.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    My stock headset made similar sounds under the same conditions until I replaced it with a Cane Creek 110. I was kind of blaming the CSU but replaced the headset just to see what happens.
    Putting in a Cane Creek 40 this weekend. Hope this takes care of my issue as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018

Demo Ride 2019 YT Capra 29

Name:  2019-YT-Capra-29-CF-Pro-Race.png
Views: 320
Size:  265.4 KB

Just rode the 2019 Capra 29 CF Pro Race. This is the top end carbon version. Rode it at the Fruita Fat Tire Festival in western Colorado (festivals are a great way to demo direct seller bikes).

Bottom line, it was a blast.

I'm old (50) and coming off a OTB collarbone break ... so I'm timid. But the bike gave me lots of confidence.

I demoed 8 bikes in this category (for $85 total), and my 3rd favorite for all-around was ... the Capra. It scored #1 in downhill confidence/fun.

Geo is great. 65 head angle = confidence down. 75.5 seat angle = decent climbing (for a big/heavy bike). Long reach and wheelbase create stability.

To see ride footage and my full review, check out this YouTube video:

https://youtu.be/3g8P4Juv3gw

Happy to answer any questions about it.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cakemonster View Post
    Thank You very much. Appreciated.

The wheels MF look nice...

I have one of these in my drawer...

Saint.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ...-BB71-41A.html

OK?

Will look at the wheels for long term, but good to use up what I have too.
    I'm not sure the Shimano BB71 bottom bracket will work. Shimano bottom brackets are usually for 24mm spindles. Most Capra models have a 30mm crank spindle (depending on your crankset). If you do have a 30mm spindle, the BB71 will not work.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I recently installed the enduro bb. It has been about 3 months, so far so good. I feel pretty confident that there will be no issues..

https://www.bikemag.com/gear/compone...-bracket-90-2/

Has anyone replaced the PF bottom bracket of the 2018 CF Pro and have one they recommend? Size?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I received my Capra 29 Pro Race a couple weeks ago and just finished getting it ready. I noticed the protective tape behind the rear tire is already falling off and this bike has never been ridden. I emailed YT and they responded with the following: "The Clear protective coating that comes on the bike frame is mostly there to protect the frame during assembly and shipping". I would be ok with that response if they had not put this protective coating under the rubber chainstay protector that is glued to the bike. What do you guys think? My thoughts are this is a $5K+ bike and this should not be happening to a bike that's never been ridden and YT should resolve the issue. I haven't responded back to YT yet, but I wanted to wait and see if you guys think I'm overacting. I know if this bike was purchased from a bike shop they would fix this for free immediately, but this bike would also have cost around $2K more probably.

Also, I noticed that when I view the flipchip from the non-drive side while the bike is in the LOW position the flipchip shows that the bike is in the HIGH position. YT responded saying that the flipchip is only to be view from the driveside. Is this consistent on everyone else's bikes?

I know I'm nitpicking, but when I spend $5K on a bike I expect all the little details to be dialed in.

This is my second YT bike by the way. I also own a 2017 YT Capra CF 27.5, so I kinda new what to expect when making this purchase, but had hoped YT had ironed out all these little trivial mistakes.

2018 YT Capra 29-img_3848.jpg2018 YT Capra 29-img_3842.jpg2018 YT Capra 29-img_3835.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    You can let it all bother you or you can just ride the bike. Personally, I would just ride the bike and beat on it while you are at it. You probably bought the bike to have a blast, donít let perfection be the enemy of the awesomeness you have at hand. IMO the flip chip doesnít need to say anything at all, it is fairly intuitive to sort out high and low settings, and FWIW my 2018 didnít have any protective plastic at all.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    You can let it all bother you or you can just ride the bike. Personally, I would just ride the bike and beat on it while you are at it. You probably bought the bike to have a blast, donít let perfection be the enemy of the awesomeness you have at hand. IMO the flip chip doesnít need to say anything at all, it is fairly intuitive to sort out high and low settings, and FWIW my 2018 didnít have any protective plastic at all.
    I know what your saying about perfection, but I'm a perfectionist so can't really help it. I'm not overly obsessed with this bike staying perfect, but it's just in its new, unridden phase. I plan to beat the crap out of it at the bike parks just like I have my 2017 model.

Do you have the a 29er? Does your flipchips look the same (only able to viewed from driveside?) And yes I completely understand that HIGH / LOW wording is not even needed, but they choose to write it on the flipchip so I just want to make sure I have received the correct flipchips. I would have definitely thought YT would make flipchips that read correclty from both sides.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Yes, 29er pics posted up above in the thread. Perfection will kill you. Having fun is where it is at, especially with this bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

BOA
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Monster Truck View Post
    FYI for those interested. With all the top dogs ( not all, just the ones winning ) running the 29/27.5 bikes, I figured that I would see what happens on the Capra 29 in this format. We just checked geometry changes. Any opinions about how it rides will be personal. I personally do get my a$$ wipes by my rear tire a few times a year so it has my interest to try the mullet.

Large Capra 29 with a 180 Lyrik/ -1.5 degree angleset is the bike. HTA 62 to start.

In 29/29 front tire is a 2.3 Butcher, rear tire is 2.3 Agressor. Tires are essentially the same volume. Testing done in the low setting.

In mullet we used same front tire, rear is a 27.5 2.6Ē Specialized Eliminator. Testing done in high setting. Rear tire is slightly larger volume.

Measuring HA, STA showed zero change between 29/29 low and 29/27.5 high.

By math this makes sense. You drop the rear end by (622mm-584mm)/2 = 19. BB moves 2/3 this much due to being positioned 2/3 of the way back from the front axle to the rear. So the BB drops 12mm. By the geo chart from YT the high setting is 10mm higher BB. The 2mm difference is tire 2.6 vs 2.3.

I havenít ridden it in this setting. Had to borrow the rear wheel for measurement. But it works. Iíll likely give it a go this summer once we get a proper DH track melted out. For trail riding the 29/29 is very good for me.

Enjoy
    Yes really like it. A little more rough ride in the rear but more playful and better to pump, feels really aggressive! Travel 180/170 and ride in high...
    2018 YT Capra 29-ytcapra29.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    I received my Capra 29 Pro Race a couple weeks ago and just finished getting it ready. I noticed the protective tape behind the rear tire is already falling off and this bike has never been ridden. I emailed YT and they responded with the following: "The Clear protective coating that comes on the bike frame is mostly there to protect the frame during assembly and shipping". I would be ok with that response if they had not put this protective coating under the rubber chainstay protector that is glued to the bike. What do you guys think? My thoughts are this is a $5K+ bike and this should not be happening to a bike that's never been ridden and YT should resolve the issue. I haven't responded back to YT yet, but I wanted to wait and see if you guys think I'm overacting. I know if this bike was purchased from a bike shop they would fix this for free immediately, but this bike would also have cost around $2K more probably.

Also, I noticed that when I view the flipchip from the non-drive side while the bike is in the LOW position the flipchip shows that the bike is in the HIGH position. YT responded saying that the flipchip is only to be view from the driveside. Is this consistent on everyone else's bikes?

I know I'm nitpicking, but when I spend $5K on a bike I expect all the little details to be dialed in.

This is my second YT bike by the way. I also own a 2017 YT Capra CF 27.5, so I kinda new what to expect when making this purchase, but had hoped YT had ironed out all these little trivial mistakes.

Name:	IMG_3848.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	1251226Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3842.jpg 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	1251227Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3835.jpg 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	1251228
    I just got the exact same bike and I noticed that same issue with the clear protective coating. I ended up putting an invisiframe on the bike. I did notice that the chainstay protector on the the right side just behind the chainring was coming up before I even assembled the bike, though, that was a little annoying

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I wouldn't waste my energy nitpicking that stuff....these bikes are tanks. I've had some nasty crashes @ speed with plenty of marks on my body to show yet the bike looks almost new except for a few chain stay scuffs. Ride hard.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    If I were YT I would give you a refund. Customers like you are not worth the hassle. No offence!

mtbr member
    Cake: I replaced mine with a Real World Cycling Enduro Max BB set. With this or others you need to install using loctite or youíll get creaking eventually. I also replaced all the suspension pivots with Enduro Max bearings while I was at it.
    2019 Yeti SB130 LR XL
    2018 YT Capra CF Pro 29er XXL - sold
    2016 Yeti SB5.5c XL - sold

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jaame View Post
    If I were YT I would give you a refund. Customers like you are not worth the hassle. No offence!
    Customers like me... No need to be a douche about it.

I'm pretty sure YT likes having me as customer, I've purchased two bikes in two years from them.

Not like I was trying to get a refund or send the bike back. Just making sure its like it was meant to be... nothing drastic here.
    Last edited by TMO8853; 1 Week Ago at 12:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by trumphair View Post
    I wouldn't waste my energy nitpicking that stuff....these bikes are tanks. I've had some nasty crashes @ speed with plenty of marks on my body to show yet the bike looks almost new except for a few chain stay scuffs. Ride hard.

I ride Windrock and SnoeShow a couple times a year on my 2017 Capra and looking forward to bashing the 29er as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thatís the ticket man. Focus on the fun factor. Once you point that thing downhill you will forgive YT and forget about all their little faults..

I ride Windrock and SnoeShow a couple times a year on my 2017 Capra and looking forward to bashing the 29er as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    TMO8853 wrote: 'Do you have the a 29er? Does your flipchips look the same (only able to viewed from driveside?) And yes I completely understand that HIGH / LOW wording is not even needed, but they choose to write it on the flipchip so I just want to make sure I have received the correct flipchips. I would have definitely thought YT would make flipchips that read correclty from both sides.'

This is how the flipchip looks on my 2019 Capra CF:

2018 YT Capra 29-flipchip_capra.jpg

It's now on HIGH-position, so yes only correctly viewed from drive-side!

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I'm not trying to be a douche. That's the problem with the internet. Tone, facial expressions and body language are not included in the message like they would be in a face to face convo.
    You just reminded me of this guy I once encountered. I sold a second hand totem on ebay a few years back. I was completely honest about the condition. The scratches, its lack of use. It had been sat upstairs for two or three years and not been used. I put in the description that it moved but could do with a service, probably requiring new o-rings. The guy who bought it was obviously expecting a new fork. Oh my gosh, the nitpicking I got from him was unbelievable. "It's scratched on the lowers." "It only extends 174mm.
    You said it was a 180 fork." After a couple of to-and-fro messages I said **** it, it's not worth the effort. Just send it back and i'll give you your money back.

I know you're not asking for your money back. It just reminded me and made me chuckle. As others have said, you got a great bike for the money, just focus on that. Sorry about being a tit. If I said it to your face you would know I was jesting.

I've ordered my Capra in the UK after a ****ing massive pain i the arse trying to get one in Taiwan. Delivery will be after 31st July. I went for the XL after test riding a mate's large size last week.

I'm probably going to sell the wheels from the get go and buy some Mavic Deemax Elites. Does anyone have any thoughts to share on these wheels, or the stock e13 wheels? It seems the LG1EN wheels on the Al Comp are OEM only. NOt sure what the weight is or what they would fetch on ebay.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    TMO8853 wrote: 'Do you have the a 29er? Does your flipchips look the same (only able to viewed from driveside?) And yes I completely understand that HIGH / LOW wording is not even needed, but they choose to write it on the flipchip so I just want to make sure I have received the correct flipchips. I would have definitely thought YT would make flipchips that read correclty from both sides.'

Name:	FLIPCHIP_CAPRA.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	114.1 KB 
ID:	1251541

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like your labels in the picture are wrong and your bike is in low mode.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    This picture shows the bike in high setting. Notice the placement of the lobe on the flip-chip, the fat part of the lobe is toward the back of the bike.

2018 YT Capra 29-f4ff36fa-8743-463b-beca-ceededd90d4f.jpg

Name:	FLIPCHIP_CAPRA.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	114.1 KB 
ID:	1251541

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Thanks billb0872 for correction - you are absolutely right!

Sorry for the confusion!

So, it should be like this:

2018 YT Capra 29-flipchip_capra_corrected.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018 YT Capra 29-flipchip_capra_corrected.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Exactly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018

Not like I was trying to get a refund or send the bike back. Just making sure its like it was meant to be... nothing drastic here.
    It's how it's meant to be. Think about it a bit. The flip chips are the same left and right. YT only has to make and stock one part. If they made them side specific they would have to make and stock two different parts, increasing cost. Then customers would then mix them up and bitch about how both sides were built wrong.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BunniBoi View Post
    It's how it's meant to be. Think about it a bit. The flip chips are the same left and right. YT only has to make and stock one part. If they made them side specific they would have to make and stock two different parts, increasing cost. Then customers would then mix them up and bitch about how both sides were built wrong.
    It seems like they would have been better off just not labeling the chips (if you can't figure out what makes the setting high or low, I don't see how arrows on the chip is going to help). Or maybe put the markers on the chainstay where the bolt should be.

In any event, it's really minor. If you can't figure out which position is which without the markings, you probably shouldn't be messing with it in the first place.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kwapik View Post
    I'm not sure the Shimano BB71 bottom bracket will work. Shimano bottom brackets are usually for 24mm spindles. Most Capra models have a 30mm crank spindle (depending on your crankset). If you do have a 30mm spindle, the BB71 will not work.
    Should have mentioned I put on XT cranks and sold the original RF. I am a simple guy.

mtbr member
    Lol Joules and BunniBoi make some good points

mtbr member
    Should have mentioned I put on XT cranks and sold the original RF. I am a simple guy.
    I have SLX on mine. 24mm FTW!

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112