2018 YT Capra 27.5- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Good job! 2018 YT Capra 27.5

Here is some info on the Capra ( size large ) I recently picked up that can hopefully help someone out there deciding to get this bike and what size.

I went with the CF model. I felt in my opinion that was the best deal for my budget. The whole build is better than I have ever owned and I have always liked Rockshox stuff so it was pretty easy for me to go that route. I am 5 10" on the dot with I believe a 31" inseam ( I don't really know I did a half ass job of checking ) I felt with all the frame numbers on the Capra everything looked good but the only number I was worried about was the 460 reach. The only thing I could compare that number to was from my old Meta V4 I had that was also a large with a 448 reach. The Meta fit me good but I didn't like the long seat tube ( 480 or 490 I think, it was tall ). SO, based on that I felt the gamble was worth it to go with the large CF Capra with it's 450 seat tube height and 460 reach. Oh, by the way, the guys at YT when I picked it up were very helpful and cool dudes.

Large fits perfect!! I honestly could not imagine riding a medium and I definitely wouldn't up size to an XL. Reach is spot on for me, seat tube height is spot on and the bike, even with it's wheel base length just feels dialed. I have ridden this bike on some XC stuff and it pedals fine for a 170 mm travel bike. I don't care to smash on the uphills I just want a bike that is confidence inspiring, good build, can pedal for the most part and when I go down hill or hit the rough I'm not in full white knuckle mode and concentrating on the bike more than just flowing and hitting the lines in front of me. The Capra is bad ass period !! I feel the bike as a whole is perfect. The spec is good, the ride is awesome and the fit & feel is dialed. The Rockshox fork & shock work flawless and drivetrain and brakes are great. Anyone on the fence about getting this bike I hope this helps. By the way, I came from a Giant Trance Medium right before this bike and I have no regrets. Is it a little more bike than the Trance? Yes. But I feel for that little more bike it is worth it because it still pedals good and the confidence it inspires going downhill is amazing.

Cheers

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks for posting this! I'm just over 5"8" and when I asked YT they told me to get a large. My current bike(trek stache) has 400 reach(to short) but with 70mm stem feels OK It seems like people are sizing down on the new Capras. I'm thinking medium but not sure.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Can you comment on the rear suspension at speed in the rough? I've been itching for a new bike and this looks like it may be it. I just put a coil on my bike and it smashes so conflicted on getting a new bike especially with air shock. I'm on a L Orbea Rallon with 467 reach and 50mm stem. I'm 5'11.5 with longer arms and shorter inseam so I am leaning towards a XL since my current setup seems like a good fit and similar to the Capra XL. Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by meSSican View Post
    Can you comment on the rear suspension at speed in the rough? I've been itching for a new bike and this looks like it may be it. I just put a coil on my bike and it smashes so conflicted on getting a new bike especially with air shock. I'm on a L Orbea Rallon with 467 reach and 50mm stem. I'm 5'11.5 with longer arms and shorter inseam so I am leaning towards a XL since my current setup seems like a good fit and similar to the Capra XL. Thanks
    FWIW I'm planning on putting on a DHX2 as soon as I get my Capra 29.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Rear suspension works excellent. rock gardens and big hits it is very stable and just a good feel and very confident inspiring. I have no complaints at all with the rear suspension. I've also noticed this bike corners awesome, both the front and rear hold there line very well and conditions right now are pretty dry so I can imagine how good it will with some tacky dirt.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by afp3 View Post
    Rear suspension works excellent. rock gardens and big hits it is very stable and just a good feel and very confident inspiring. I have no complaints at all with the rear suspension. I've also noticed this bike corners awesome, both the front and rear hold there line very well and conditions right now are pretty dry so I can imagine how good it will with some tacky dirt.
    Sounds great. What shock and fork are you running?

mtbr member
    Here is some info on the Capra ( size large ) I recently picked up that can hopefully help someone out there deciding to get this bike and what size.

I went with the CF model. I felt in my opinion that was the best deal for my budget. The whole build is better than I have ever owned and I have always liked Rockshox stuff so it was pretty easy for me to go that route. I am 5 10" on the dot with I believe a 31" inseam ( I don't really know I did a half ass job of checking ) I felt with all the frame numbers on the Capra everything looked good but the only number I was worried about was the 460 reach. The only thing I could compare that number to was from my old Meta V4 I had that was also a large with a 448 reach. The Meta fit me good but I didn't like the long seat tube ( 480 or 490 I think, it was tall ). SO, based on that I felt the gamble was worth it to go with the large CF Capra with it's 450 seat tube height and 460 reach. Oh, by the way, the guys at YT when I picked it up were very helpful and cool dudes.

Large fits perfect!! I honestly could not imagine riding a medium and I definitely wouldn't up size to an XL. Reach is spot on for me, seat tube height is spot on and the bike, even with it's wheel base length just feels dialed. I have ridden this bike on some XC stuff and it pedals fine for a 170 mm travel bike. I don't care to smash on the uphills I just want a bike that is confidence inspiring, good build, can pedal for the most part and when I go down hill or hit the rough I'm not in full white knuckle mode and concentrating on the bike more than just flowing and hitting the lines in front of me. The Capra is bad ass period !! I feel the bike as a whole is perfect. The spec is good, the ride is awesome and the fit & feel is dialed. The Rockshox fork & shock work flawless and drivetrain and brakes are great. Anyone on the fence about getting this bike I hope this helps. By the way, I came from a Giant Trance Medium right before this bike and I have no regrets. Is it a little more bike than the Trance? Yes. But I feel for that little more bike it is worth it because it still pedals good and the confidence it inspires going downhill is amazing.

Cheers
    You were able to pick the bike up at YT San Clemente? aka "will call"

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Sounds great. What shock and fork are you running?
    It's the Lyrik RCT3 and Super Delux RC3. It's what came on the bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kwapik View Post
    You were able to pick the bike up at YT San Clemente? aka "will call"
    Yup! Called them up, asked if I could pick it up instead of them shipping it and they said no problem.

mtbr member
    Yup! Called them up, asked if I could pick it up instead of them shipping it and they said no problem.
    Great information! Thanks. Living a couple of hours away, I'd much rather pick it up, say hi to the guys & gals at YT, and save the $100.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Yep, I did will call for mine a few weeks ago. Saved the $100 and didn't have to worry about being home for the delivery. Well worth it, although be warned that there is nothing to see at their office. Just a small business office. They didn't even have a sign on the door.
    2018 YT Jeffsy 29 CF Pro Race

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Great information! Thanks. Living a couple of hours away, I'd much rather pick it up, say hi to the guys & gals at YT, and save the $100.
    No problem, I hope everything works out for you. It's worth the drive.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Did it come tubed or tubeless?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jojotherider View Post
    Did it come tubed or tubeless?
    It came with E13 rim tape on the rims but it came with tubes. I pulled the tubes out and put some stans in and the tubeless valves ( which I thought was weird the bike didn't come with the valves when it pretty much came with everything else ) Anyways, easy, simple and done.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'm curious about rear suspension performance. From the small amount of info of all the Pro first ride reviews it sounds like it is still pretty progressive....loam Wolf review stated that it had a harsh feel on fast chatter. Can anyone comment on their experience so far? Currently I am on a pretty linear frame and wondering how the new Capra does and if I'll miss it.

mtbr member
    Anyone got their hands on a bike yet? Ordered the 27.5 pro race and wondering if the Ethirteen race wheels are the carbon ones or some variant made for YT. Looks like the carbon race wheels but surprised they didnít call it out in the description.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stupordave View Post
    Anyone got their hands on a bike yet? Ordered the 27.5 pro race and wondering if the Ethirteen race wheels are the carbon ones or some variant made for YT. Looks like the carbon race wheels but surprised they didnít call it out in the description.
    Yeppers - they are definitely a pair of e*13 race carbon wheels. Also, carbon crankset, bars, and brake levers.

You're right though, no description in the details.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Hi there!
    thanks for all the info and now my question:
    I am 183 cm with 84 inseam. my current bike has a top tube 64.8 and reach 47.
    I own a 5cm stem but i could easily go to a 4 cm.
    I am thinking of going with the x large capra 2018.
    Any opinions?
    Last edited by Paulm1; 04-19-2018 at 01:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    One ride on my new AL Comp size XL. I am 5'11.5" with 31" inseam 225lbs and my dropper is pulled out almost 2" from collar.

Bike feels big but not sizing wise....it's just a long bike. My other bike is a '18 Canyon Spectral AL. I will say the Capra is very progressive. Only one ride so far so not a lot of feedback aside from that. The end ramps up quick and didn't bottom it out where I would with the Canyon. I am thinking of going 30mm internal rims with higher volume tires to take some of the sting out of the rear suspension....that and after 1 ride the rear is out of true. Climbing is good for a big bike. I was able to tackle all my climbs about 85% in the 42t rear and the 32t front. But coming off the Canyon the Capra is not as excited going up.....I will say that the rear bobs much less than my Canyon when open.
    A bit disappointed in the SLX rear derailleur as it slaps or is more noisy/active than the GX Eagle on my Canyon.
    I did change out the Code RS brakes for Magura MT5. Really disliked the Guides on the Canyon and didn't want to take a chance with the Codes. The MT5s are easily the best brakes I have ridden. Solid on/off feel and never faded on me.....love em.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    hi there !

So, I had written to yt and got 2 answers
    1. you can choose either you want but with a different stem set up. if you choose large get a 5 cm stem(it would be more planted on speed), if you choose x large get a 40 or 35 stem, (it would be more agile)
    2. stick with the large that is your size.

But my current bike is a canyon strive with top tube of 648 and reach 47, so I am worried it would be a bit tight.

MLC Adventures
    Apr 2018
    Hey dudes. Long time lurker first time poster.

So my 2018 YT Capra AL Comp 27.5 came in this week and I finally have it invisiframed and cush cored. I thought I'd chime in now that I have a couple rides on it since many people are curious about this bike and there aren't a lot out there yet to see and feel in person.

So I love this thing. Im exactly 6'0" with a 73" wingspan, longer torso than lower body, 31.5" inseam(leaving ~ 1 inch of room for protection), 220lbs. I went with the XL after comparing all my measurements to YTs sizing chart, as well as thinking back to my body position on the bikes ive ridden a lot in the past. (2018 Nomad L, 2017 Giant Trance 2, 2018 Trek Marlin 6) I hate when I feel cramped on a bike, and when I feel like the attack position shifts my face anywhere near the front axle. I like to have room to move and this is the main reason I went with the XL. If youre like that, and have similar dimensions as me I would strongly recommend at least considering the XL.

The 18 Capra XL feels Very similar to the Santa Cruz Nomad size L in terms of position on the bike. I know according to the numbers the Capra has 2cm more reach and seat tube, but it doesn't feel like it. The standover on the Capra is awesomely low, and on the XL with the dropper main body fully set into the seat tube, the riding position is perfect for me. Dropper down - totally out of the way, dropper fully up - great seated pedaling position.

The only thing I had to to do the bike to make it fit like a glove (besides initial suspension set up) was adjust the angle of the brake levers, and swap the position of the right brake lever and shifter on the bars. The high gear shifter is great in that it can be pushed or pulled, but in stock position I felt it awkward to reach. Once I brought it closer to the grips by switching it with the brake lever, spot on.

Great Bike!

mtbr member
    Two rides on the new Capra and so far so good. Both fairly chunky tech trails with some nice flow sections as well. Still dialing in the suspension but itís a beast so far.

5í11Ē on a size large and normally ride a medium Pivot Switchblade. Very comparable fit but the Capra does feel a tad taller in the back. Capra climbs decent without any noticeabale bob but think Iíll need to drop to a 30 tooth on the front to power up the really steep tech sections you can find here on the CO front range. Or I need stronger legs...

Steeper climbing requires to get on the front of the saddle to keep the front planted but it takes downhill switchbacks and changes direction better than my switchblade. Playful in the nasty stuff and just plows through rocky sections. Pointed downhill is where this bike shines with travel in reserve.

Only issue I had was a loosening headset that was remedied by wiping the stem and steer tube with alcohol. May want to do that during assembly. Could also use a 170mm dropper as Iíll likely need to drop it a bit for the parks.

2018 YT Capra 27.5-754d8485-f895-4216-b0e0-acaa3dfac2c9.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Does YT offer frame only purchases? Really interested in the YT Capra 27, but I like to custom build my bikes, hence the frame only question.
    2019 Rocky Mountain Altitude C70 Custom
    2018 Pivot Mach 5.5 Custom
    2018 Orange Alpine 6 Custom
    2017 Knolly Warden Custom

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinboyer View Post
    Does YT offer frame only purchases? Really interested in the YT Capra 27, but I like to custom build my bikes, hence the frame only question.
    Not sure where you are located, but yes they do in Europe. They offer the Capra 27 CF Pro Race frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Not sure where you are located, but yes they do in Europe. They offer the Capra 27 CF Pro Race frame.
    I'm located in the U.S. I've sent YT an email so I'll wait to see what their response is.
    2019 Rocky Mountain Altitude C70 Custom
    2018 Pivot Mach 5.5 Custom
    2018 Orange Alpine 6 Custom
    2017 Knolly Warden Custom

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Can anyone help me with rear derailleur setup? I uncrated and assembled my new Capra today. CF Pro with XTR rear der. It seems like the chain is loose and the derailleur is in the up/high position, against the chainstay. It wonít shift into the biggest or smallest cogs. Have I done something wrong, or is this normal and there is a procedure I need to follow to get it set up correctly now?

mtbr member
    Mar 2018

2018 YT Capra 27.5

Quote Originally Posted by Camstyn View Post
    Can anyone help me with rear derailleur setup? I uncrated and assembled my new Capra today. CF Pro with XTR rear der. It seems like the chain is loose and the derailleur is in the up/high position, against the chainstay. It wonít shift into the biggest or smallest cogs. Have I done something wrong, or is this normal and there is a procedure I need to follow to get it set up correctly now?
    Clutch engaged?

https://youtu.be/anZIgnxpCbw

https://youtu.be/YBf_UZlDhHQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2018
    I think i installed the rear der incorrectly, Iíll go over it again today. Thanks!

Did anyone here find that any parts of the bike needed additional grease/lube or was it done well enough from the factory?

mtbr member
    May 2018
    By the way, size XXL Pro Race is 31.0lbs on my digital shipping scale. Lighter than I thought it would be.

mtbr member
    Got my first park day in on the YT and loving this bike even more. After a few runs down and some tweaks to my suspension set-up, I realized itís every bit as capable as my DH bike in a place like Winter Park. Actually much better considering I could just extend the seat post on some of the transfer sections to keep from blowing out my legs uphill.

Ariolimax columbianus
    Two rides on the new Capra and so far so good. Both fairly chunky tech trails with some nice flow sections as well. Still dialing in the suspension but itís a beast so far.

5í11Ē on a size large and normally ride a medium Pivot Switchblade. Very comparable fit but the Capra does feel a tad taller in the back. Capra climbs decent without any noticeabale bob but think Iíll need to drop to a 30 tooth on the front to power up the really steep tech sections you can find here on the CO front range. Or I need stronger legs...

Steeper climbing requires to get on the front of the saddle to keep the front planted but it takes downhill switchbacks and changes direction better than my switchblade. Playful in the nasty stuff and just plows through rocky sections. Pointed downhill is where this bike shines with travel in reserve.

Only issue I had was a loosening headset that was remedied by wiping the stem and steer tube with alcohol. May want to do that during assembly. Could also use a 170mm dropper as Iíll likely need to drop it a bit for the parks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	754D8485-F895-4216-B0E0-ACAA3DFAC2C9.jpg 
Views:	2938 
Size:	263.4 KB 
ID:	1196852
    did you ever change your chainring? just got my L AL comp in da mail Friday. few rides already....pretty sick, rode like an old friend, not a ton of surprises except da speed!

don't wanna search through the zillion posts on PB. will any Race Face CINCH NARROW WIDE CHAINRING work? does it matter if it's boost at all? thought I read somewhere on PB that YT uses an extra spacer. maybe gonna drop down to a 30t since I'm gonna take it up to da Sierra soon.

mtbr member
    E-13 on mine so itís a different interface but it does have the non-boost version chaninring on it. Not sure if that helps or the same for the raceface. Best way to tell is just google whatís on there and see if itís boost or not.

Ariolimax columbianus
    E-13 on mine so itís a different interface but it does have the non-boost version chaninring on it. Not sure if that helps or the same for the raceface. Best way to tell is just google whatís on there and see if itís boost or not.
    thx breh! diggin my Capra, been ridin it as my trailbike the last few rides, no complaints! bike's pretty intuitive and steers real well though the hips in tight singletrack or beamed trails. no crank bashing at all, dunno why a lot of folks are reporting this, maybe I'm just used to low bb bikes. one weird thing I kinda noticed about pedal bob on steep climbs is if you look straight down when you're outta the saddle you get less feedback, but then you can't always see ahead! kinda works on fire roads I guess.

Ariolimax columbianus
    Pics cuz it happened.

mtbr member
    I waited alsmost 6 months for my Canyon Torque, but I had enough an got the 2018 Capra AL 27 in XXL. ( weight 15,5 kg )
    2018 YT Capra 27.5-20180808_183200.jpg

It is not brand new. I bought it from some else for a very good price.
    Literally a steal.

The previous owner put a GX Eagle on it and Schwalbe Magic Mary tires set tubeless.

He also gave the Lyric a 2019 debon air update and traveld the shock to 180mm.

The 250x70 and the 250x75mm RS shocks are the same, but they put 5mm plastic spacer inside the 70mm version to reduce the travel.
    If you take them out, than your shock can go over the 70mm mark.
    2018 YT Capra 27.5-1.jpg2018 YT Capra 27.5-2.jpg2018 YT Capra 27.5-3.jpg2018 YT Capra 27.5-4.jpg2018 YT Capra 27.5-5.jpg2018 YT Capra 27.5-6.jpg2018 YT Capra 27.5-7.jpg

I bought the Capra for park only use and I really like it so far.
    The suspension works way better, than the more expensive Fox on my Jeffsy.

It's using the travel up to 140mm really fast but doesn't bump out on big jumps.
    - Fork 90psi / 2 VS
    - Shock 150psi / 1 VS
    - Me = 83kg in full gear.

mtbr member
    Sooooo.
    Is the Capra 27 still a thing?
    Shit tons of comments about the 29er version,
    but almost nothing for the new 27

mtbr member
    So I build a bike carrier for my Jeffsy and Capra, both 27.
    All parts are from a local DIY market.
    My car is a Seat Inca.
    My vacation is coming soon. I want to ride in the mountains and ride the bike parks here and there.
    2018 YT Capra 27.5-rack-1a.jpg
    2018 YT Capra 27.5-rack-2a.jpg2018 YT Capra 27.5-rack-3a.jpg2018 YT Capra 27.5-rack-4a.jpg

mtbr member
    Well it really looks like no one is posting anything here anymore besides me lol.
    Today I will shred again in park. >

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I bought a Capra 2018 27 AL about 4 months ago for Bikepark use here in Switzerland. I ride DH flow mainly, no big jumps, no black features, no huge drops

I sadly have mixed feelings - out of the box, the front was way way too low for me, so I had to swap the spacer position and get some bigger riser bars before I could really ride it properly. It's annoying that they didn't leave even 1cm more steerer tube on there.

I love the frame, I'm 5'9" and a large is perfect, it is really confidence inspiring and I love riding it! I have however had a TON of issues after pretty minimal use (5 Bikepark days only).

- Derailleur cable frayed and snapped on the 5th park day, no warning, just couldn't change gear any more
    - Brakes needed bleeding out of the box and are still bad to the point they touch the grips at the end of long DH runs
    - Headset bearings/headset is creaking super badly after 3 rides (needs replacing)
    - Rear wheel rim went out of true very badly to a point it couldn't be trued, and the spokes had 'significant fatigue'
    - High Roller II casing warped very badly on the front to the point it wouldn't go through the fork
    - The Lyrik was just dreadful for small bump compliance out of the box and no amount of tweaking helped

All in all after 6 bike park days I have faced a significant repair bill...

- Replaced rims and spokes for EX511/DT Swiss
    - New headset
    - Replacement derailleur cable
    - 2019 Debonair spring upgrade
    - Brake bleed and pads
    - New tires (the HR still had a ton of wear in them, but warped).

I am hoping that once this is all done it'll be the end of the 'bedding in' issues, but in comparison to my previous bike (Radon Slide 150) which needed nothing other than brake pads and tires for 3 years, I am unimpressed. I love the bike to ride, don't get me wrong, but it's just so far been totally unreliable.
    2019 Cube Reaction Race 29
    2018 YT Capra AL
    2014 Scott Aspect 740

mtbr member
    May 2018
    After a day riding Whistler Bike Park I really love my XXL CF Pro. I had my doubts about if I bought too much bike and thought maybe it was out of itís element. I bought a hardtail 29er for my local trails and enjoy riding it far more.

Turns out I just need to hit the bike park more to stretch itís legs. Realized I need a beefier rear tire than the Maxxis Rekon but otherwise the bike performed flawlessly.

Mods so far:
    Enduro BB
    180mm air sleeve in fork
    50mm Raceface stem
    NSB 30t chainring
    WeAreOne Insider/DT240 wheelset
    Maxxis DHF/Rekon 2.6 rubber, tubeless

Next up will be some better grips, a WTB Volt seat, undecided but beefier rear tire, a 10 degree rise stem and a 40 or 50mm riser bar. Eventually maybe a longer dropper post and remove the travel spacer in the rear shock to get 180mm out back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Camstyn View Post
    After a day riding Whistler Bike Park I really love my XXL CF Pro. I had my doubts about if I bought too much bike and thought maybe it was out of itís element. I bought a hardtail 29er for my local trails and enjoy riding it far more.

Turns out I just need to hit the bike park more to stretch itís legs. Realized I need a beefier rear tire than the Maxxis Rekon but otherwise the bike performed flawlessly.

Mods so far:
    Enduro BB
    180mm air sleeve in fork
    50mm Raceface stem
    NSB 30t chainring
    WeAreOne Insider/DT240 wheelset
    Maxxis DHF/Rekon 2.6 rubber, tubeless

Next up will be some better grips, a WTB Volt seat, undecided but beefier rear tire, a 10 degree rise stem and a 40 or 50mm riser bar. Eventually maybe a longer dropper post and remove the travel spacer in the rear shock to get 180mm out back.
    Nice.
    I hit 2 different parks this week. Really love my cheap XXL AL so far.

But dude, forget about the Maxxis tires.
    I did run HR2 and Minions and now I have the Schwalbe Magic Mary, the super Gravity edition. ( Tubeless )
    Hands down those tires are just so much better.
    Way more grip even on higher pressure, but also more roll resistance.

My other upgrades are Ergon GD1 grips.
    A Sixpack racing carbon handlebar with lots of rise.
    Sixpack racing Millenium MG-CrMo Pedals...I really love them and a SQlab 611 saddle.

mtbr member
    So today is park day again
    After having a try on the cane creek suspension from the Bike festival I want too have it for my Capra too.
    Maybe on christmas.
    The CCDB Coil felt good, but the helm fork was super great. Best I have ridden so far.

mtbr member
    Park action
    2018 YT Capra 27.5-1.jpg2018 YT Capra 27.5-2.jpg2018 YT Capra 27.5-3.jpg2018 YT Capra 27.5-4.jpg2018 YT Capra 27.5-5.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    I bought the Capra 27.5 CF Pro and couldn't get the Fox X2 rear shock to feel decent and use more than 50% of the travel. I only weigh 150 lbs, so I thought maybe I'd take whatever volume spacers out that were in there. I had read it came with 2 installed, so I was surprised when I found that it had 6 in it...went back down to 2 and it felt like a different bike.

I e-mailed YT to verify how many it came with stock and the first response said 2, then after I asked why mine had 6 he came back and said it should have 4, then asked their 'head mechanic' who said 6 was right. The maximum is 7 for that shock. Has anyone else found that many volume spacers in their shock? With just 2 spacers I haven't had any issues with bottoming out.

Also has anyone changed out the chainring? I want to put a 32 or 30T oval on the front but I've found some conflicting information on the boost vs. non-boost. I think I should get a boost chainring but just want to verify.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    2018 Capra is boost. Although a friend of mine put a non-boost AB oval chainring on his and it works fine.

The Capra has a pretty progressive suspension, so 6 spacers sounds insane to me. I run 2 in my Jeffsy and I'm 200 lbs, so at your weight I'd expect you to be down in the 0-2 spacer range.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Six spacers is crazy. He must have been the head mechanic for Gwin because I doubt many mortals are running that many!

Quote Originally Posted by kruggirello View Post
    I bought the Capra 27.5 CF Pro and couldn't get the Fox X2 rear shock to feel decent and use more than 50% of the travel. I only weigh 150 lbs, so I thought maybe I'd take whatever volume spacers out that were in there. I had read it came with 2 installed, so I was surprised when I found that it had 6 in it...went back down to 2 and it felt like a different bike.

I e-mailed YT to verify how many it came with stock and the first response said 2, then after I asked why mine had 6 he came back and said it should have 4, then asked their 'head mechanic' who said 6 was right. The maximum is 7 for that shock. Has anyone else found that many volume spacers in their shock? With just 2 spacers I haven't had any issues with bottoming out.

Also has anyone changed out the chainring? I want to put a 32 or 30T oval on the front but I've found some conflicting information on the boost vs. non-boost. I think I should get a boost chainring but just want to verify.

mtbr member
    Limited 27er Carbon Free alloy raw edition soon avaiable.
    Only 100 pieces
    Black Friday
    2018 YT Capra 27.5-upload_2018-11-21_16-33-34.png
    2018 YT Capra 27.5-upload_2018-11-21_16-34-1.png

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    5í 7Ē would you guys recommend a medium or large Capra 27.5. Rode a medium Evil Wreckoning before and size was dialed. Capraís seem to run small based on the consensus here. Any advice would be awesome.

mtbr member
    Iím just over 5í10 and rode a large Capra. Iíd go medium at 5í7Ē unless youíre high on the ape index (long arms and legs). With all that travel, its a pretty tall bike. Iíve ridden a medium Wreck and it was too cramped for me so Iíd say a medium Capra should fit you well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    At 5'7" I'd definitely say medium. I'm 5'10" and ride a medium Jeffsy, it feels compact, but not cramped, I rode my friends medium capra and it felt pretty similar. Like I could move all over the bike for technical stuff, or maybe size up if my trails were more flowy and fast. Given your size, I think you'd feel really stretched out on a large.

mtbr member
    Can someone tell me the max tire width on the rear of this bike?
    Santa Cruz HTLT