2018 Capra curiosities- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2017

2018 Capra curiosities

A few quick questions:
    When will we likely see specs for the 2018 lineup?
    What does this bike climb like? Is it going to make an OK trail bike? I have been riding a Genius LT as a trail bike with occasional shuttling and whatnot

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Not quite the same. But I'm looking at the Scott Spark vs. the YT Jeffsy. What's making your consider the YT?

mtbr member
    May 2017
    The great reviews and the spec for price is what is making me consider the Capra.

7k for nearly 11k worth of spec? Im sold on that point.

I ride Trail,Light DH/Enduro stuff and the occasional epic/dirt jumping and I feel it would be a potentially ideal steed for me!

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    YT typically announces their lineup in january with deliveries starting around may.

The Capra's basic design is now 4 years old and chances are, there's going to be a new iteration next year. If that turns out to be the case it's worth noting, that one of its closest rivals, the SC Nomad, became more of a freeride bike with its latest redesign. It might be the same for a new Capra, esp. since this year's introduction of the 160mm Jeffsy 27 (CF Pro Race) also points in that direction.

What I want to say is: If a long travel trail bike is what you're looking for, this year's Capra might suit your needs better than next year's. All speculation of course.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by denis0082 View Post
    YT typically announces their lineup in january with deliveries starting around may.

The Capra's basic design is now 4 years old and chances are, there's going to be a new iteration next year. If that turns out to be the case it's worth noting, that one of its closest rivals, the SC Nomad, became more of a freeride bike with its latest redesign. It might be the same for a new Capra, esp. since this year's introduction of the 160mm Jeffsy 27 (CF Pro Race) also points in that direction.

What I want to say is: If a long travel trail bike is what you're looking for, this year's Capra might suit your needs better than next year's. All speculation of course.

Thanks! That does make sense and fits with what I was reading elsewhere. I have been reading about the SC nv4 and people say it climbs better than most other 170mm bikes. Currently I ride a scott genius LT and dont struggle climbing at all.

I guess i will wait till the new year!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Hoping they spec all lines with boost front and rear.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I'd much rather see a threaded bottom bracket than a boost standard, if that was the choice. I am on my second Capra and love it, but the PS 30 bb is the weak point. The E13 rims do not hold up well either, so I upgraded, yet another reason i'm not interested in boost.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    That's pretty reasonable insight you offered. Whatever they do will likely be with boost standard, so something to consider if you have an upgraded wheelset like I do. Also, some of the earlier Capras had issues with their dropout and they switched to a new design. Sometimes stuff that is proven is better than the newest design.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    hi, when you say the PF30BB is the weak point what do you mean? is it a creaking mess? honest question. my LBS says cheap german rubbish & to avoid.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mrback View Post
    hi, when you say the PF30BB is the weak point what do you mean? is it a creaking mess? honest question. my LBS says cheap german rubbish & to avoid.
    My first YT frame with PF was creaking considerably. I wouldn't have called it a mess though. It actually worked just fine. All PF BB have the potential for the same issue but I've ridden my current bike in many small races, 6 days of Trans Savoie and most recently 3 days in Enduro 2, without any issues at all- except the brakes which is another story. Some of the guys at Trans Savoie told me they had huge issues with Santa Cruz bikes (using a better threaded bb) and would never actually pay for one of those bikes. They said Norco has a pretty reliable set up, but I literally bent my Norco the first days of riding in Arizona and it never worked the same again. So I figure the benefits of the YT outweigh the problems- especially with the kit those bike comes with. If you mean to write your LBS says YTs are 'cheap german rubbish' then I would disagree completely with them as owning two in four years. If you meant the BB is cheap, then yep. If I had the money to spend I'd probably get something else but many of those bikes are running twice what a YT or Canyon cost which is crazy for a carbon frame that is pretty cheap to produce in reality.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    FYI On a German forum someone claimed a YT employee told him the next bike will be a "Capra 29" and it'll be released in April 2018.

> 55
    Aug 2014
    FYI On a German forum someone claimed a YT employee told him the next bike will be a "Capra 29" and it'll be released in April 2018.

Whoa. Well hopefully they drop some 2018 news soon.

My son is going to pull the trigger on the 17' capra al.....too good of a deal for him to pass up. He paid about $2k for a used bike two years ago.

> 55
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by gerryl View Post

My son is going to pull the trigger on the 17' capra al.....too good of a deal for him to pass up. He paid about $2k for a used bike two years ago.
    My 14 y.o. son ordered a 17 capra al comp xl on 12/24/17.......$2500 to our door as we live in CA. He pays half.....great deal. Can't wait to get it. I get the first shake down ride as the partial financier (lower rock creek trail).

YT, keep pushing the limits. I would buy a 29er jeffsy, but the XL is pretty small as far as TT goes.

mtbr member
    Please, please, please let this be true!!! My next bike will be a long travel 29er and Id love to get another YT.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    2018 yt lineup is out. but i wonder why is there no new capra???

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Hey, I rang the nz distributor in early Jan to ask about the 2018 capra. He wouldn't spill any details but claimed "you won't be disappointed", and the release schedule will be each month. Jeffsy in Jan, capra in Feb and I believe the downhill model in march (don't know the name).

> 55
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Chreezmo View Post
    Hey, I rang the nz distributor in early Jan to ask about the 2018 capra. He wouldn't spill any details but claimed "you won't be disappointed", and the release schedule will be each month. Jeffsy in Jan, capra in Feb and I believe the downhill model in march (don't know the name).
    Serious. Can't wait.....My son bought the current capra on close out.....loves it. I almost bought the 17 jeffsy, but with the pending capra...will have too wait a few weeks to see what the new capra is or is not....29er?

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Yeah, it's not far away. I've been riding the same Cove Stiffee since 2004, so I'm fine to wait.

29r downhill bikes are a thing so the capra is probably a contender. I'm also guessing the kit will follow the jeffsy and drop sram for more ethirteen.

Hella Olde

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    And the website is now down for maintenance

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Im now only wondering about the hubs on that wheelset - juicy spec on that bike for sure!

fc
    head minion Administrator
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I went for the CF Pro Race - wooo