2018 Capra 29 and Jeffsy 27 Purchase- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

2018 Capra 29 and Jeffsy 27 Purchase

So, its time to replace the 2008 Mojo. I am thinking of getting the 2018 JEFFSY 27 CF PRO RACE for cross country and trail riding. In addition thinking of getting a CAPRA 29 CF for the downhill park. I live in Colorado and plan to visit Winter Park often. Looks like both have 160mil for travel. Would these bikes really be redundant. Could I get away with just the JEFFSY? I am no pro and just have fun. Plus the CAPRA is sold out until July so I have time to ride and see if it wold work.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018

Seems redundant

Granted the Capra has a little longer front tri dimensions, a slacker head tube angle and lower bottom bracket which all help stability at speeds and holding a line better through rowdy terrain, I don't think there is a big enough difference to warrant buying both bikes. You're buying two bikes so you don't need a bike that can do everything, why not get a Tues for the park and then ride the Jeffsy for XC and Trail rides?
    I'm also curious about why you chose the 27.5 for the XC/Trail ride and 29 for the park bike? Typically everyone agrees that the 29 bike rolls faster, smoother and climbs better but can tend to have slower turning and overall a less agile feel. Seems like those characteristics would be better suited for the trail bike and the 27.5 would have a more playful, agile feel that I would want in a park bike. There has been a shift to the WC DH guys liking the 29" wheel bikes on some tracks because they are faster (their preference seems to vary between tracks) but it seems that they prefer the feel and playfulness of the 27.5 wheel. If I wasn't a serious DH competitor I would prefer the fun bike over the all out fastest.
    Just my thoughts.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks for the feedback, I was going with the 27.5 because I am coming off a 26. Maybe I should look into the 29. Seems like a big step to me. I may just rent the downhill bike at the resort until I can decide if it is for me. So then it comes down to 27.5 or 29, and from what I hear opening that argument is like opening a can of worms.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    The YTís are hard to beat for the money and really are just solid bikes all the way around. The downside is itís hard to ride one before you buy one. Surely thereís a specialized dealer near you. The Stumpjumper is a variation of a 4 Bar or Horst link suspension like the YTís, has similar travel and is available in 27.5 and 29 versions. Maybe go swing by and ride each of those around to see which wheel you prefer.
    The 27.5 bike should feel more maneuverable and playful and the 29 more stabile and smooth and maybe not as nimble (tight turning). With that said the 29ers have gotten less combersome over the years (so Iíve been told). I havenít really ridden a 29er and my current bike is a 26Ē wheel too. I bought a 27.5 Capra and am waiting on it to come off back order. It really does come down to what feels best to you, the type of riding you do and the trails you ride.
    Last edited by Jwatt357; 03-06-2018 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Correcting typos

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Placed an order for a JEFFSY 27 CF PRO RACE.