2017 YT Jeffsy 29 CF Pro Race: Initial Thoughts- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2017 YT Jeffsy 29 CF Pro Race: Initial Thoughts

So, I took delivery of my '17 Jeffsy 29 CF Pro Race on Friday. Opened the box with sheer unbridled joy. Wow, what a packing job! Couldn't believe how well thought out and put together the packaging was. Even the carbon paste was already applied to the handlebar with the faceplate stuck to it. 30 minutes and my bike was assembled.

That night I put on invisiframe (first time, didn't do a great job, but it will work). Saturday I made my first two mods: tubeless conversion with the included e*thirteen valves (so easy with the matching e*thirteen tires and rims) and then swapped the Reverb for a 9 Point 8 Fall Line in 150mm. I'm sure the Reverb would've been fine, but I believed the 9 Point 8 is the best on the market. So, I've got a brand new 150mm Reverb for anyone that's interested...

Today was the first ride. 11 miles, 1700 ft with lots of technical, twisty singletrack and a good mix of steep technical downs and wide open fast downs (backside of China Camp to 7 Eleven out for anyone from the bay area).

For reference, I'm coming from a 2015 Turner Burner 650B with 150/140, CK and Velocity Blunt rims with e*thirteen tires. So, a very different bike, although both are trail bikes that are just mean to be ridden. Was happy to have the e*thirteen tires on both bikes, as it took out one of the biggest variables.

Anyway, long preamble for my initial thoughts.

Climbing: I used the compression lever on the Float X and was pleasantly surprised that both the middle and firm settings ramped up low speed compression without locking it out. Awesome, that's what I like. The bike climbed quite well. Little bit of bob, but only noticeable on super smooth trail while standing. When it got more technical, the suspension didn't get hung up and its progression meant that I could push against it and pop up over bigger roots, ledges on rocks. The weight and stiffness of the bike was awesome for climbing and I was just fine despite the slight taller than ideal gearing (32t with 9-44 out back, but I've got a 30t ready to go). So far so good.

Descending: Damn, these 29 wheels carry a lot of momentum! Both the fork and shock obviously aren't broken in, so I can't read too much into the descending yet, but I was happy. Small to medium sized hits were gobbled up and I was able to float in the sweet spot of the travel where there's lots of support. I'm looking forward to getting more comfortable with the ride, as when I had the courage I found that I could load the suspension and pop up and over ruts laterally; not something I did on the Burner, but the way this suspension performs I found I could bunnyhop like a mad man (FYI, I ride flats, so this wasn't just me getting excited and pulling up). Big hits were fine, but again, hard to judge with so little time on the bike and still getting used to the new geometry, wheel size, etc. My biggest issue right now is finding the balance point when cornering - I often found myself a bit too forward (or at least worrying that I was) or a bit to far back which led to the front wheel pushing a bit. So far, so good.

General Riding/Messing Around: I absolutely loved messing around on the bike - jumping curbs, riding high on berms, popping over little roots and rocks, etc. Compared to the Burner, the bottom bracket area is noticeably stiff and gave me a solid platform to work from. All good so far.

Negatives/Surprises: Only negative so far is that the SRAM Guide brakes feel DRASTICALLY different than my old Shimano XT brakes. Yes, there is a lot more modulation, but I am so used to the XT brakes that I often found myself unsure of how much braking power I had in reserve and where the limits of grip were. I'm sure this is something that I'll get used to, but it was a bit scary at times today. Oh, and yes, I know the brakes need to bed in, and that is for sure part of what was happening today, but I felt that the power was there, but I just didn't have the feel of the brakes down. Something that will improve quickly, I'm sure.

So, in summary, I really like the new bike -lots of pluses, pretty much no minuses- and am very excited to get to know it's limits. I will update as I pile on the miles.
    "So you think it's the hat?... A lot of people hate this hat. It angers a lot of people, just the sight of it." - Uncle Buck

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    What the hell is a Jeffsy?

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    What the hell is a Jeffsy?
    Why you trolling?

Great review, good to read your experiences with the bike.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChillyWilly20 View Post
    Why you trolling?

Great review, good to read your experiences with the bike.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    It's alright, hoolie is pretty much my only riding partner and always a pain in the a$$.

I've now got about 50 miles of riding in on the Jeffsy and am really liking it. Not quite love yet, but we're getting there.

My biggest complaint/adjustment was the SRAM brakes, but after a super steep sustained, tight, twisty and technical downhill yesterday, that's been put to rest. After futzing with the bite point and reach adjustments, I've the brakes contacting about 1/3 of the way into the stroke and then offering really nice modulation for the majority of the remaining travel. On this steep and tight downhill, it meant that I could ride the brakes on some sketchy parts without losing grip and pump the brakes without completely releasing them (which is what I found was necessary with the XT brakes). All of this was easily handled with one finger and was eye opening.

I've also got the suspension (front and rear) pretty close to dialed for my normal trails. At about 195 all geared and watered up for a 2.5hr ride, I'm keeping the stock single volume reducer in the fork, and running 82 psi up front, fully open most of the time with the rebound 6 in from close and the compression 18 in from close. This gives me right around 30% sag with a good amount of support and a nice bit of progression in the final 1/3 of travel.

Out back, I'm running 190 psi, no volume reducer, compression in the middle (#2 setting) when open and rebound 8 from close. This gets me at right around 30% sag and keeps me working in the middle 2/3 of travel most of the time. The natural progression of the suspension is very interesting, as it allows me to really pump and pop the bike while still feeling controlled and with a nice "oh sh*t" stash.

Still a ways to go on getting the suspension perfectly dialed, but I like where I'm at right now.

Riding UC Santa Cruz tomorrow, which is quite a bit different than the trails I've taken the Jeffsy on so far. Update to come....
    "So you think it's the hat?... A lot of people hate this hat. It angers a lot of people, just the sight of it." - Uncle Buck

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Trolling for laughs from Inonjoey, I was with him getting his new 9.8 Post on the new Jeffsey, when it occurred to me, what is a Jeffsey, for real. Its a grea tlooking bike, and I am super happy for him, and everyone on this thread, becuase new bikes rock! Im still rolling 2011 5-Spot. Bummer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    inonjoey, thanks for the reportsĖ keep em coming! Very interested to hear how you're liking (and dialing in) the Jeffsy. I just ordered the CF Two (I wanted the 1x11, but it's sold out until 2018) and expecting it to ship end of Sept. Can't wait!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kampy View Post
    inonjoey, thanks for the reportsĖ keep em coming! Very interested to hear how you're liking (and dialing in) the Jeffsy. I just ordered the CF Two (I wanted the 1x11, but it's sold out until 2018) and expecting it to ship end of Sept. Can't wait!
    Swapped out the 32t chainring for a 30t a few rides ago. Besides having a nicer bailout gear, the bike also bobs a bit less while climbing, especially when I'm tired and cycling those pedals up and down.

Taking the YT to SC and hitting some jumps was an eye opener. I absolutely tapped into the last 10% of travel out back and really liked how quickly and easily the suspension loads up. Blind corner to 2 ft drop? I will pop that, thank you very much.

Railing berms did not go as well as I'd hoped, but that's most certainly my fault, not the bike's.

On the technical downhills at China Camp, I'm really starting to get a hold of the bike. As I gain confidence, I can corner just as tight as on my old 27.5, and I'm probably just as fast while feeling more confident with some room to get faster.

In terms of parts, I've finally got the brakes where I want em. Basically, they now bite like my old XT brakes but I can then modulate them for even more power. I have not felt them fade yet at all, even on extended downs. As long as they stay consistent, I've got a new favorite.

Suspension wise, I'm running ~35% sag out back, firmed it up to about 25% up front. Still messing with rebound and compression, but it feels good, maybe only lacking some of the chatter removal of my pike up front, with no noticeable difference in stiffness.

Finally felt the e*thirteen carbon wheels flex horizontally when I cranked into a root off line at speed - but they kept me upright.

9point8 dropper is money, just need to see if that lasts.

Only minor quibble right now is that I get an occasional ghost shift on the cassette, but that could be due to my (lack of) skill in tuning. Will see over the next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Excellent feedback!
    Last edited by danK; 06-22-2017 at 02:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Bike continues to impress - I really, really like it (bordering on love, we're almost there).

Was very bummed for a ride because I had a terrible creaking coming from the BB area. Quick disassemble, clean, grease and torque check of crank/chainring assembly cleared that up.

One thing I didn't mention previously was my confusion over what appeared to be alloy e*thirteen hubs instead of the big carbon jobs. Turns out the wheels are the new TRSr SL wheels that were officially released yesterday. So, that got cleared up.

After ~170 miles, my rear TRS tire is starting to chunk a bit. Looking to replace it with a Maxxis Aggressor in 2 weeks, right before my trip to Oakridge. Considering throwing on DHF WT 2.5 up front at that time too....

mtbr member
    Would a 27.5+ fit in the Jeffsy? I wanna have 2 wheelsets; 29er and 27.5+. I only wanna run up to a 2.8 Minion or 3.0 Nobby Nic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr View Post
    Would a 27.5+ fit in the Jeffsy? I wanna have 2 wheelsets; 29er and 27.5+. I only wanna run up to a 2.8 Minion or 3.0 Nobby Nic.
    Not sure. I know they didn't design it that way, but I'll take pics of the rear tire clearance.

mtbr member

Thoughts after Oakridge, OR

Quote Originally Posted by kntr View Post
    Sorry, totally forgot about this while getting ready and then going on a trip to Oakridge, OR with Hoolie. Will take a pic later today or tomorrow, but on first glance, I think you're gonna be out of luck...

Now, about the Jeffsy at Oakridge: totally awesome. Did one really big day of climbing with lots of fast descents (ATCA) and the bike was perfect.

ASIDE: Well, it was perfect except for one thing that's become a bit of a bug: rear shifting with the e*thirteen cassette. It's hard to tell if it's the cassette, imprecise adjustment or (my latest theory) the housing and cable. Basically, under high torque, the bike will ghost shift out of the largest or second largest cog 1-3 times a ride. The weird thing is, everything will be perfect adjustment-wise, then a ghost shift or two and I'll find that the cable needs a bit more tension. To be clear, this is not occurring while I'm shifting, but when I'm already in the cog. Anyway, should figure that out in the next few rides. I hope.

Back to the Jeffsy itself, the trails in Oakridge are quite different than at home in that they're more wide open, faster and smoother (although quite rough at times due to going mach looney). I was really, really happy with the way that the rear suspension soaked up pretty much everything I could throw at it while always offering a lot of support when I pressed into it. Very different than my DW Turner Burner, as the YT feels much more, not firm, but taut. Particularly impressive was how the suspension handled really hard braking, going from ~25mph to 4-5mph, and then hitting super tight switchbacks in the bumps and accelerating out of those same turns with a few quick pedal strokes.

I'm also really happy with how the Jeffsy handles. Again, comparing it to my Burner, it feels just as if not more nimble when things get tighter, despite the 29er wheels. Combining that with the better rollover of the 29er wheels, means that the Jeffsy feels a lot more in the groove than my old ride.

One "upgrade" that I have targeted is the front fork. Now, the Fox 34 works pretty damn awesome, but I do have few nitpicks. First, it's just not as supple off the top of my old Pike, which I'm pretty much fine with. Second, it does have a bit of flex when I'm really pushing it. At 195-200 lbs all geared up, that's not a surprise. Third, I pretty much hate the concept of 3 position compression adjustments (felt the same with my Pike), as I would much rather have HSC/LSC/Reb adjustment to get it dialed and then just leave it for 90% (maybe even 99%) of the time. So, we'll see, but I'm thinking that Santa might be bringing me either an HSC/LSC Fox 36, an MRP Ribbon or a Pike with Avvy cartridge. No hurry, but something on the horizon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    What are you all using for frame protection? Can you recommend a bash guard or chainstay protection?

My bike arrives tomorrow and its my first carbon frame. Want to make sure I get the most out of it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusky21 View Post
    What are you all using for frame protection? Can you recommend a bash guard or chainstay protection?

My bike arrives tomorrow and its my first carbon frame. Want to make sure I get the most out of it.
    It actually has rubber protection and tape protection in areas that are most likely to get all the beating from trail ride. But if you are oc you can buy some helicopter tape to add some protection.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ibismojo09 View Post
    It actually has rubber protection and tape protection in areas that are most likely to get all the beating from trail ride. But if you are oc you can buy some helicopter tape to add some protection.
    This. I bought an invisiframe kit and applied that to most of the areas that weren't already covered by tape or rubber. I also double up on the down tube tape as the down tube protector is a little on the short side. That said, all in all, the Jeffsy CF has pretty good frame protection stock.

As for a bash guard, I don't use one. I ride some very rocky places, but am seldom in situations where I'm at real risk of basking my chainring on a rock unless I'm completely spaced out (I'm not worried about wood).

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Looking at YT Jeffsy - wondering why they didn't spec with boost fork. That's a miss, imo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wu-D View Post
    Looking at YT Jeffsy - wondering why they didn't spec with boost fork. That's a miss, imo.
    Mine has a Boost fork.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

2017 YT Jeffsy 29 CF Pro Race: Initial Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by inonjoey View Post
    Mine has a Boost fork.

Hmm, is that a stock build? Which one? Perhaps I just missed it. I'm looking at 29 - all seem to have 100mm front hub.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Anyone? Does any Jeffsy 29er come with boost Fork?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wu-D View Post
    Hmm, is that a stock build? Which one? Perhaps I just missed it. I'm looking at 29 - all seem to have 100mm front hub.
    Whoops, mine is not boost. Confused front with rear. Not really sure why they did that either, but it works fine for me.

mtbr member
    would like to know this to .. have a 150 pike boost I would love to put on

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Deal breaker for me. Wouldn't call it an upgrade if I dropped $$$ and didn't get boost front. Guess it would just be for the new geo??

mtbr member
    I picked a sweet Boost pike and boost wheel set at clearance in Germany, So will put that on the Jeffry and sell pike that comes off it. so not really a issue

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DH_WP View Post
    I picked a sweet Boost pike and boost wheel set at clearance in Germany, So will put that on the Jeffry and sell pike that comes off it. so not really a issue
    And the wheel, too, I suppose.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Got mine last week

Got my bike last week. Come from a Ibis Mojo HD3 and really wanted a lower bike with a little longer reach. This one really ticks all the boxes. Tested it for 3 days now and got the suspension dialled in.

2017 YT Jeffsy 29 CF Pro Race: Initial Thoughts-jeffsy-web-2.jpg

2017 YT Jeffsy 29 CF Pro Race: Initial Thoughts-jeffsy-web-3.jpg

2017 YT Jeffsy 29 CF Pro Race: Initial Thoughts-jeffsy-web.jpg

mtbr member
    Has anyone tried 27.5x2.8s yet?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    inonjoey - thanks for posting your impressions of the bike, I'm on a Burner too so it's interesting to see how they compare.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Anyone have any updates on their Jeffsy? I'd be curious to know if there is room for more tire clearance to say a 2.4 or 2.5 on the 29er.

Planning my next bike purchase and I've narrowed it down to either a CF Pro Race, or a Hightower S or XO1 build depending on availability/sale price. I really like the parts spec and value of the Jeffsy, but I'm more familiar with Santa Cruz coming from a 2003 Heckler. Either way this would be my first multi-link suspension bike, so both would be an upgrade. Any additional input is much appreciated!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I have the alloy version and I'm sure you can fit at least 2.4s depending on rim width, and probably some 2.5s. The YT Jeffsy thread on pinkbike has a lot of info about max tire clearance.

Ariolimax columbianus
    @inonjoey you still ridin this bike? just picked up a '18 27.5" Capra AL Comp. I live in the Monterey bay/sc area so I ride a lot of those trails in sc a lot as well as Demo. Kinda wanted to see what the yt hype was all about and wanted a lil more travel for Downieville/Lakes Basin/Sierra type riding. Capra's pretty awesome, been out to sc & demo a few times now and it shines on the steeper trails where that extra travel really counts.

Now I'm just kinda eyein a 29r Jeffsy just because you know n+1. Just curious to see if you're still enjoyin your Jeffsy and how it really feels on some of the steeper trails that are rocky, rooty, off camber, loose, etc. We've been going up to Oakridge since around 2005, I love all the trails there too. It'd be hard to make a choice on what bike to bring if one was going to take a trip up to the Sierra/Downieville area then roll up to OR and hit some of the more flowy Oakridge type rides, even though I've ridden all that stuff on a 29r Karate Monkey w/a suspension fork. As I get older my body appreciates da cushiness!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nativeson View Post
    @inonjoey you still ridin this bike? just picked up a '18 27.5" Capra AL Comp. I live in the Monterey bay/sc area so I ride a lot of those trails in sc a lot as well as Demo. Kinda wanted to see what the yt hype was all about and wanted a lil more travel for Downieville/Lakes Basin/Sierra type riding. Capra's pretty awesome, been out to sc & demo a few times now and it shines on the steeper trails where that extra travel really counts.

Now I'm just kinda eyein a 29r Jeffsy just because you know n+1. Just curious to see if you're still enjoyin your Jeffsy and how it really feels on some of the steeper trails that are rocky, rooty, off camber, loose, etc. We've been going up to Oakridge since around 2005, I love all the trails there too. It'd be hard to make a choice on what bike to bring if one was going to take a trip up to the Sierra/Downieville area then roll up to OR and hit some of the more flowy Oakridge type rides, even though I've ridden all that stuff on a 29r Karate Monkey w/a suspension fork. As I get older my body appreciates da cushiness!
    I am still riding the Jeffsy, and am very happy with it overall. I would say that for the vast majority of Bay Area trails, itís just about perfect. For Oakridge, I would say that it actually is perfect.

Coming off of my Burner, there are several trails where the Jeffsy felt more nervous and I thought slower than the Burner (despite being longer and having 29Ē wheels). However, my times on these trails told a different story, as I am actually just as fast if not faster.

The biggest plus of the Jeffsy is that itís super progressive 140mm of travel mean that you can pop and pump to your heartís content and still have travel to bail you out. Iím not a big jumper, but the Jeffsy gave me a lot of confidence hitting features that Iíd never tried before.

The biggest minus is that on rougher and steeper natural trails, that progressive suspension can make it feel a bit nervous (as stated above). That said, you already have a Capra for the rough stuff, so the Jeffsy is likely a perfect compliment. And, to be clear, itís not the Jeffsy holding me back on anything!

I have had some issues with the pressfit B.B. (mainly that the raceface and Shimano varieties crap out very quickly) and the e*thirteen wheels (more broken spikes than Iíve ever experienced). Other than that, no real complaints whatsoever.

Ariolimax columbianus
    thx buddy! just pulled da trigga on a '18 cf pro! hopefully they're shipping today or even in the office! gonna be nice to compare it to the Capra for the local trails and have an option for some of the more trailbike friendly pedal rides in the Sierra and Tahoe.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nativeson View Post
    thx buddy! just pulled da trigga on a '18 cf pro! hopefully they're shipping today or even in the office! gonna be nice to compare it to the Capra for the local trails and have an option for some of the more trailbike friendly pedal rides in the Sierra and Tahoe.
    I suppose you've had both for a while now. Would love to hear your thoughts on the Jeffsy vs Capra. Personally, I'm more of a 27.5er, so I'm swaying more to the Jeffsy CF Pro Race with 160mm travel, as a do-it-all for Bay Area/Downieville-capable. Thanks!