Yeti SB150 Ride, Performance and Build talk.- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Yeti SB150 Ride, Performance and Build talk.

The Ultimate Long Travel 29Ē wheeled bike on the planet has finally been announced and it includes room for a water bottle in the main triangle and also a lifetime warranty on the frame.

Letís get this discussion rolling along with anything and everything about the SB150.

*****If you guys and gals havenít already listened to the 15 minute interview with the lead designer of the SB150 and all SB bikes make sure to go to vitalmtb.com and access the review of the SB150 and below will be the audio portion of the interview. Very informative and gives lots of detail on whatís going on with the new bike design ***
    Last edited by skinnybex; 08-28-2018 at 02:55 PM.

mtbr member
    A couple things I noticed in the FAQ section

Coil approved !!!
    Dropper has moved from 30.9 to 31.6
    33% sag recommended
    Fits 2.5Ē rear tires, likely 2.6Ē Maxxis WT

mtbr member
    I need this in my life

mtbr member
    The MBR review on YouTube was glowing about how well the bike pedaled, basically best in class when left wide open on the X2 since you need to earn your downs with your ups

Iím 5í10Ē and Iím going with a size Large

ncm
    mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Can finally select sb150 on Factory Demo site. First available 9/4. Price increased to $40 for demo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ncm View Post
    Can finally select sb150 on Factory Demo site. First available 9/4. Price increased to $40 for demo.
    Well worth the price to figure out sizing. Just the shorter seat tube length is such a big improvement as you can really choose how you wanna approach your bike fit and mannerisms of how the sizing Geo will affect your riding style.

The Large SB150 is almost exactly the same as my Large Sentinel and that bike is still rather poppy and manuverable despite the long wheelbase.
    Yeti SB150
    Yeti SB130
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Trans Sentinel
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    While he WAS impressed by how it pedaled, I couldn't find where he said anything remotely close to best in class. There are other very good peddlers in its class, even though this should be one of the best. I think he enjoyed the geometry changes more vis-a-vis the 5.5 and other Yeti's he's demoed.
    Yeti SB100
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley LS V3
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD4
    Pivot 429SL
    Pivot LES SS
    Colnago C60 Disc

mtbr member
    From the pictures I saw, no way that a 2.6 tire will fit in the backend. Even some large 2.5's will be questionable.

Overall though, the bike looks amazing. They really nailed this one on every single aspect. The only thing people can complain about at this point is the PF BB, but who cares? There are solutions available for those problems if you really want to solve it.

mtbr member
    Iíve been primarily riding 2.3Ē-2.4Ē tires in the rear and Iím perfectly fine with that volume as well as sidewall support and keeping the intended tread profile that a 28-30mm ID wheel affords.

Just having that bit extra clearance for mud and rocks is nice even without going to the big rubber

mtbr member
    Subscribed.

Loving my Rallon.
    Looking forward to how the new Yeti rides comparatively.
    Hurry up and get one Skinnybex
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Subscribed.

Loving my Rallon.
    Looking forward to how the new Yeti rides comparatively.
    Hurry up and get one Skinnybex
    Lol, I also love my Rallon. Luckily that bike gets ridden at my home in Colombia all the time and itís such a great all around bike.

Iíll definitely get the SB150 soon and Iíll be looking to possibly unload my Sentinel just because this new Yeti will do everything better at a more manageable weight and now with a legit warranty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    From the pictures I saw, no way that a 2.6 tire will fit in the backend. . They really nailed this one on every single aspect.
    Except for maybe tire clearance??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tom erb View Post
    Letís wait for forum member Roman who I definitely know will more than likely have this bike right out of the gate confirm these questions.

If you recall the SB5 V2 also stated It fit up to a 2.5Ē tire but in actuality it fit all 2.6Ē and quite a few 2.8Ē tires

Roman, were all patiently waiting....lol

mtbr member
    Size L, xO1 race build no pedals 30.4lb with metal wheels. I just sat on one and weighed it myself. I should have a turquoise one wednesday.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    Size L, xO1 race build no pedals 30.4lb with metal wheels
    I can see your wheels turning buddy. I know youíve long wanted that ideal Geo as well as having a supportive rear end along with possibly being sub 30 pounds.

This might be the ONE

mtbr member
    Maybe save 250-300 grams with a set of still trustworthy carbons and lighter hubs and maybe a Kabolt and lighter saddle that doesnít destroy the kids and your Golden.

Still built like a tank and a lifetime warranty to boot as it sound like this topic is something Yeti want to end the concerns over

mtbr member
    Size L, xO1 race build no pedals 30.4lb with metal wheels. I just sat on one and weighed it myself. I should have a turquoise one wednesday.
    Heavier than an SB6 by over a pound. Looks like they took the frame weight only specs off the website from all models? Prices shot up quite a bit as well, (Trump tariffs or Yeti? lol).
    2019 SB150
    2019 SB130
    2019 SB100
    2018 FollowingV2
    2017 SB5
    2016 SB55
    2016 Wreckoning
    2016 SB45
    2015 SB6
    2016 Farley

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Apexit View Post
    Heavier than an SB6 by over a pound. Looks like they took the frame weight only specs off the website from all models? Prices shot up quite a bit as well, (Trump tariffs or Yeti? lol).
    More frame material surely which Iíd take if they nail the compliance with the stiffness.....my SB100 is impressive in these regards given itís intended purpose.

Iíve actually seen the price fluctuate on the site a few times now. It was higher at one point and then went lower. I believe any of the builds with the X2 are an upcharge

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tom erb View Post
    Just my opinion, but I see no reason for 2.6 tires. 2.5 should be plenty for most riders.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnybex View Post
    More frame material surely which Iíd take if they nail the compliance with the stiffness.....my SB100 is impressive in these regards given itís intended purpose.

Iíve actually seen the price fluctuate on the site a few times now. It was higher at one point and then went lower. I believe any of the builds with the X2 are an upcharge
    29íer wheels are heavier than 27.5. Thereís a lot of ways to get this bike under 30lb easily and still be race reliable.

XX1 cassette
    Raceface next r cranks
    Carbon wheels
    Cushcore
    Ks lev 175mm carbon dropper (a pound lighter than the transfer)
    Different saddle.

I bet that puts it right at 30lb and durable enough to race with.

The geometry on the 6 is garbage compared to the new 29íers... sorry, I said it

XO1 retail is $7599, XO1 race $8599. Definitely not worth $1000 for a different cassette, brakes, and shifter. Iíll have the XO1 build and Iím swapping over my codeís and an XX1 cassette. The regular XO1 comes with 4 pot XTís which are probably still pretty good.

mtbr member
    I can see your wheels turning buddy. I know youíve long wanted that ideal Geo as well as having a supportive rear end along with possibly being sub 30 pounds.

This might be the ONE
    On paper this is the bike Iíve wanted for a few years now. I hated on yeti for a bit because the 5.5 wasnít it. After sitting on it Iím fairly certain this is it. Stoked.

mtbr member
    2.6 WT tires would be rad , I love them on my Nomad or new Bronson for wet weather season in PNW (Vancouver BC) Otherwise as SalesPunks says 2.5 is plenty.
    What bike to sell....Nomad probs.

I have a Medium Frame on order, should arrive next week (fingers crossed)
    Woot Woo!

mtbr member
    This thing should be a wreckoning slayer and I saw in person first time pivot fb29 and that thing was like a tank and 31lbs with carbon wheels and size large.

I bet an XL sb150 can get in at around 30-31lbs without trying to hard

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    OMG I wish these bike companies would stop doing this to me , I have a Bronson on order and now Yeti go and launch this with what looks like the perfect geometry !

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Just my opinion, but I see no reason for 2.6 tires. 2.5 should be plenty for most riders.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Yup, this is a race bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I was about sold on the new Specialized Stumpjumper EVO until Yeti just announced this bike. It's in a whole nother price range from what I was planning on spending but I think it just might be worth it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by peterhenric View Post
    I was about sold on the new Specialized Stumpjumper EVO until Yeti just announced this bike. It's in a whole nother price range from what I was planning on spending but I think it just might be worth it.
    If you want a super slack Aluminum 29íer skip the SJ EVO and get a Sentinel but if you want a complete big Mountain Super Bike That still will be snappy and responsive on the climbs and flat sections of trail and you are an active rider that pumps and pushes through the terrain then Buy the SB150 and youíll thank me later.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    While he WAS impressed by how it pedaled, I couldn't find where he said anything remotely close to best in class. There are other very good peddlers in its class, even though this should be one of the best. I think he enjoyed the geometry changes more vis-a-vis the 5.5 and other Yeti's he's demoed.
    Clearly you haven't drunk enough of the Yeti Fanboi Cool-Aide...this place cracks me up...but hard to knock people getting stoked (I might even be interested in the 100 or the 130)
    Riding: '91 Carbon Epic Stumpjumper w/1" Slicks and a Rack on the Back

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Funny how many 5.5s have popped up for sale on Pinkbike the last few days...

mtbr member
    Here's an honest question for all you people gawking at the, to me, stupid steep STA...Do you only pedal up to come down or at any time in your riding, do you actually pedal on rolling trails or flatter trails? Also, what sort of pedaler are you, do you push a hard gear while climbing at all or just spin the easy 30/50 eagle gearing up anything?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IPA Rider View Post
    Clearly you haven't drunk enough of the Yeti Fanboi Cool-Aide...this place cracks me up...but hard to knock people getting stoked (I might even be interested in the 100 or the 130)
    Ive been drinking the blue Cool-Aide for quite a few years now but I only drink it in the Yeti forums because after all we generally keep to our selves and let everyone else bicker about irrelevant things in the other forums and instead of ride the bikes we have and stay loyal to the brand.....very similar to the good Santa Cruz crew who are much the same.

Weíve been rewarded today with some special presents 🎁 that many have waited patiently for.

If you do get either of the bikes you mentioned Iím sure youíll be very happy and please share your impressions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Here's an honest question for all you people gawking at the, to me, stupid steep STA...Do you only pedal up to come down or at any time in your riding, do you actually pedal on rolling trails or flatter trails? Also, what sort of pedaler are you, do you push a hard gear while climbing at all or just spin the easy 30/50 eagle gearing up anything?
    I actually pedal 80% of the time with my saddle all the way down and in the attack position whether thatís on flattish terrain or semi steep climbs where Iíd rather stay light on the bike and active over my front end, my Rallon and Sentinel both have those 76 degree STA and also the shorter offset forks.

I only really sit and grind on boring fireroad where Iím just chatting with friends or conserving energy.

Iím not exactly one to care to much for the 74-77 degree STA but itís almost necessary with the new Geo that the bikes I own and also want to own SB150 have

I try and stay in the middle cassette range with eagle on all my bikes and 32t or 34t rings. Obviously this can be dependent on the steepness of any given section of trail.

mtbr member
    All the above except 32/50 (lol). Climbing right away I preferred the steep stį and not just by a little. On flatter terrain I did feel pushed into my handlebars quite noticeably. As I've lived with and adapted to the bike over the summer I feel it's a more powerful position to pedal from all around. Just did a xc esque ride yesterday I'm somewhat familiar with and was noticing just how much more efficient and powerful it was to really push the pedaly parts. Faster than I've ridden it and came out to the lot quite a bit more ahead than usual. On climbs if I'm getting after it and keeping the momentum up I push tall gears like on my road bike. If it's steep and I'm blown out from a monster ride eagle to the rescue. 6'2" with a 35.5" inseam. I live in OR so we do have plenty of the climb to bomb type trails.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Colorado terrain is up, then down usually. Desert terrain- Moab, Sedona, etc. is very rolling. When youíre descending it doesnít matter because youíre standing. When your climbing seated youíre a little more upright than XC/110mm stem body positioning. My 37-38lb GG Smash (same geometry basically) climbs better than most and with 32/50 gearing the 50 ring is only used as a bail out. I was running a 32 oval (34 round) but broke the chainguide for it. I will never own a bike again with a STA less than 75 degrees. This is my 3rd season on steep STA bikes. Last weekend I raced at elevation- 50 miles / 7k climbing, some over 10,000í. This geometry is the future and frankly Yeti is late to the party.

mtbr member
    Personally, the SB150, or similar bikes, would be my last choice for rolling or flatter trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    Personally, the SB150, or similar bikes, would be my last choice for rolling or flatter trails.
    If you mean because of suspension travel I'd agree, you don't need a 170 fork on flat terrain.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I have to ask , how many of those bikes do you still own ? Thatís like the top 10 bikes of the last few years in your stable !

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Lifetime warranty is nice...look how my used yetis have "new" rear triangles on PB..besides the guys I know
    Ok skinny give me shiat..321 go

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    If you mean because of suspension travel I'd agree, you don't need a 170 fork on flat terrain.
    I personally feel the SB150 is more the 29er equivalent of the sb6 than a direct replacement for the 5.5. I've been riding a 150 front/rear bronson and it's overbiked for quite a bit of my riding, no way I can see going to 170/150 as awesome as the new geo of this sb150 looks.

Maybe it would be good with a 160 fork in the front? I'm not sure and at almost 4k for the frame I can't justify to be the guinea pig on this one. I know there's a sb130 coming, but it seems like they really didn't handle the launch well. There's now a big gap between their sb100 and sb150.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    All the above except 32/50 (lol). Climbing right away I preferred the steep stį and not just by a little. On flatter terrain I did feel pushed into my handlebars quite noticeably. As I've lived with and adapted to the bike over the summer I feel it's a more powerful position to pedal from all around. Just did a xc esque ride yesterday I'm somewhat familiar with and was noticing just how much more efficient and powerful it was to really push the pedaly parts. Faster than I've ridden it and came out to the lot quite a bit more ahead than usual. On climbs if I'm getting after it and keeping the momentum up I push tall gears like on my road bike. If it's steep and I'm blown out from a monster ride eagle to the rescue. 6'2" with a 35.5" inseam. I live in OR so we do have plenty of the climb to bomb type trails.
    Agreed. My bike with steep STA coasts uphill. Got 3000' at Black Rock with the GF yesterday, she & I just shrugged the climbing off.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Stretch aka Yeti head engineer even says sb150 "is not a sb55c replacement". The 55 is still an amazing bike and should not be lost in all the sb150 news. 2 weeks ago sb55c and others were praising it.. its a steal to get a clean sb55c at 50% off original MSRP for a bike that 2 weeks ago was the shit.. I'd buy one in a heart beat..

Not everyone rides where the sb150 will shine. More people imho ride where the 55c does and accommodates more riders for that type terrain.

The sb150 now helps make Yeti 29er line up more sense by stretching the performance to one extreme and the sb100 at the opposite end. Now we just need to wait for the middle of the rode model....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IPA Rider View Post
    The Tribe is like no other bike brand community. It's another reason we Freaks are loyal to the brand. Get a chance to attend a Gathering and you will see. How often do other Yeti riders stop and strike up conversation with another Yeti freak. Friendships are formed and networks are created.

That's how skinnybex and I met and became friends. I have made more mtb friends riding my Yetis than any other brand... that adds to my ownership and experience and to me that's worth the price in addition to cutting edge innovative bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguru2007 View Post
    Lifetime warranty is nice...look how my used yetis have "new" rear triangles on PB..besides the guys I know
    Ok skinny give me shiat..321 go
    The Lifetime no questions asked warranty is very welcome. Now we just need to get the lifetime bearing replacement and weíll be set 👍

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yeti575inCA View Post
    Stretch aka Yeti head engineer even says sb150 "is not a sb55c replacement". The 55 is still an amazing bike and should not be lost in all the sb150 news. 2 weeks ago sb55c and others were praising it.. its a steal to get a clean sb55c at 50% off original MSRP for a bike that 2 weeks ago was the shit.. I'd buy one in a heart beat..

Not everyone rides where the sb150 will shine. More people imho ride where the 55c does and accommodates more riders for that type terrain.

The sb150 now helps make Yeti 29er line up more sense by stretching the performance to one extreme and the sb100 at the opposite end. Now we just need to wait for the middle of the rode model....

BAM !!! Well said and this echoes my thoughts as well. The SB4.5 and SB5.5 are just as relevant as ever for anyone that already owns either bike or is looking to get one of the last few left from model year 2018 for a smoking deal.

mtbr member
    I just built my sb45c shortly after the sb100 was released for 50% off what a new sb100 would be and I have no complaints about my sb45c..

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I just built my sb45c shortly after the sb100 was released for 50% off what a new sb100 would be and I have no complaints about my sb45c..

You built up a 45c for 3k? Most of the shops around here are offering their demo stock in the 3.5 - 3.8k range. I suspect the 4.5c would be a ripping bike for Annadel, unfortunately while we finally got a shop that stocks yeti, the only have the 5.5 in their demo fleet.

mtbr member
    Now we just need to get the lifetime bearing replacement and weíll be set

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukas View Post
    You built up a 45c for 3k? Most of the shops around here are offering their demo stock in the 3.5 - 3.8k range. I suspect the 4.5c would be a ripping bike for Annadel, unfortunately while we finally got a shop that stocks yeti, the only have the 5.5 in their demo fleet.
    Yes... I only do frame up builds. I buy parts on sale, or through private parties.

2017 Turq frame..

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    The Lifetime no questions asked warranty is very welcome. Now we just need to get the lifetime bearing replacement and weíll be set 
    Donít think it reads as no questions asked. Here it is straight from the website, ďHEREíS EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT OUR LIFETIME WARRANTY: All 2019 (or newer) frames, including the Switch Infinity link, are covered for life against damage due to manufacturing defects for the original purchaser. Paint and finish are covered for 1-year.Ē

They still left an out there with ďmanufacturing defectsĒ. That being said, when my 5.5 rear triangle cracked they replaced it promptly and without any issues. Went a long way in my book 👍🏼

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Other than a pro-form, is there any way to get a discount on these bikes?

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Did anyone notice the crazy amount of rear triangle flex in the Vital MTB video of the sb150?

https://youtu.be/iFIunD9uYjg?t=262

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    According to yeti they design a certain amount of flex into the rear triangle after working with Jared Graves when he was riding for yeti.

mtbr member
    They also said it wasn't noticeable on the trail.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Did anyone, also notised, that it looks like you have to disassemble the rear triangle to reach the second grease port of switch infinity!!!

mtbr member
    I think its very smart their building some flex into the frame. As a lighter rider some bikes can become ungodly stiff when I start adding burly carbon rims and DD casings. Its one thing I really like about my Calling, there is some frame flex in it which adds a touch of forgiveness to the ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    In case someone from yeti reads this, or someone on the forum has a contact at yeti, I'd be hugely interested to hear a detailed interview with some of the engineers and product managers about the process behind this frame revision. I'm keen to hear their thoughts, goals, and solution process to get to what they believe is an optimised end point. I can't be the only person who is really interested in the thinking behind the frame that I'm going to spend thousands on!

mtbr member
    Go to VitalMTB. 15 minute audio interview with head engineer.

mtbr member
    But will a 27.5x2.8 maxxis fit?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr View Post
    But will a 27.5x2.8 maxxis fit?
    I highly doubt it would fit. In the Q&A section on the Yeti website for the SB150 it states a 2.5Ē tire is Maximum for the rear but beware of making sure there is proper clearance as tire manufacturers sizes vary from the stated sizes

mtbr member
    Wheatridge Cycle in Denver has M and L in stock currently

mtbr member
    For anyone looking for an XL, better be patient. I've checked locally in Denver and Jenson USA / BC. Sounds like from the rep that XL's are either just in production or have not been made yet. Best estimate is November / December.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gratefulone View Post
    I have to ask , how many of those bikes do you still own ? Thatís like the top 10 bikes of the last few years in your stable !
    All of them plus a few more actually. I have some personal issues to work through....lol!
    2019 SB150
    2019 SB130
    2019 SB100
    2018 FollowingV2
    2017 SB5
    2016 SB55
    2016 Wreckoning
    2016 SB45
    2015 SB6
    2016 Farley

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Lol, I also love my Rallon. Luckily that bike gets ridden at my home in Colombia all the time and itís such a great all around bike.

Iíll definitely get the SB150 soon and Iíll be looking to possibly unload my Sentinel just because this new Yeti will do everything better at a more manageable weight and now with a legit warranty.
    If you are comparing a carbon Sentinel to the sb150,I'm not sure the Yeti is really lighter.Regarding warranty,do you really keep a bike for more than 3 years ? I know Lifetime sounds awesome and all but i find people these days hardly ever keep a bike for more than 2-3 years...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbcoke View Post
    If you are comparing a carbon Sentinel to the sb150,I'm not sure the Yeti is really lighter.Regarding warranty,do you really keep a bike for more than 3 years ? I know Lifetime sounds awesome and all but i find people these days hardly ever keep a bike for more than 2-3 years...
    The frame is maybe slightly lighter than the Carbon Sentinel but any Yeti regardless of travel pedals considerably better than the Tranitions Iíve ridden and that includes the Carbon Sentinel.

I have 3 issues with my Sentinel.

1-Pedals poorly and always needs a pedal platform switch to make it get up and go.

2-the bike is overbuilt and portly which has some advantages in durability but also makes the average All Mountain ride much more taxing physically.

3- getting the rear Shock dialed can be very very tricky due to the bike blowing through travel rather easily unless you either up your PSI or add volume spacers which then effect compliance over small bumps.

But......the bike does many many things well that most bikes canít come close to doing which is namely high speed turns and plowing through rough chunk as well as bombing down steep chutes.

I think the SB150 will be better than the Sentinel in every single aspect and be much more resistant to bottoming while keeping better midstroke and small bump compliance.

mtbr member
    Interested in seeing sb150 vs wreckoning.

Freezer
    BAM !!! Well said and this echoes my thoughts as well. The SB4.5 and SB5.5 are just as relevant as ever for anyone that already owns either bike or is looking to get one of the last few left from model year 2018 for a smoking deal.
    Yep, this morning I picked up the last Large SB4.5 in black from Yeti's inventory. Decent, but not smoking deal, and I'm psyched to get it and build it up next week. Coming off of a Pivot 429SL I built up last year and transferring literally everything except the looong stem. Will be ~24.9 lb. with Highroller II/Recon tires.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I think the SB150 will be better than the Sentinel in every single aspect and be much more resistant to bottoming while keeping better midstroke and small bump compliance.
    Other than stiffness (im heavy),pricing (800usd frame cost difference??) ,potential switch maintenance issues (heard mixed opinions about this) ...
    I have allot of interest in the SB150 but enjoying the Sentinel so much (tuning the shock does takes time and SI climbs better,but i got to a happy place in the end) im not sure the switch (haha) will be justified.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by mlloyd007 View Post
    Yep, this morning I picked up the last Large SB4.5 in black from Yeti's inventory. Decent, but not smoking deal, and I'm psyched to get it and build it up next week. Coming off of a Pivot 429SL I built up last year and transferring literally everything except the looong stem. Will be ~24.9 lb. with Highroller II/Recon tires.
    Just out of curiosity, which build and what did you end up getting it for? I'm curious to see how much retailers are starting to discount them.

mtbr member
    Picking my 150 up tomorrow morning. Taking it straight to Trestle. Will post tomorrow night.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Picking my 150 up tomorrow morning. Taking it straight to Trestle. Will post tomorrow night.
    Damn, so jealous!!!

mtbr member
    Oh yes please, I need to hear your impressions on how it works out for you especially since youíve come off a few recent legit bikes GG Smash, E29 and Sentinel.

If you feel so inclined maybe pedal that monster just a bit between chair lifts up 🙏

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Long time lurker on this thread as I've always loved the look of Yeti SB models and my friends who own them adore them.

Whilst there have been elements holding me off in the past, this is the first Yeti I'm super keen to demo. The geometry looks great for taller riders like myself at 1.93m and the 1st person POV footage of a ride on Vital just looked so planted and composed.

I'd actually prefer the fork at 160mm but will reserve judgement until I get to sit on and ride one. Having the weight increase is not so much of a problem for me and I'd rather it we're super strong / durable. Either way it's a beautiful bike. Not as curvy as previous models but stunning nonetheless.

If you've got one coming I believe you're in for a treat as they've waited and worked out what will actually work on this sort of bike: Steep STA, shorter offset fork, slack HTA and long reach.

Can't wait to try it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlloyd007 View Post
    I am enjoying my frame up 45c build. Have 6 rides on it and it compliments my 6c well. Enjoy

mtbr member
    Jealous!! Post a separate review and pics for us..

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Jealous!! Post a separate review and pics for us..

I have a 2019 Stumpjumper and was also thinking of adding another more park friendly bike to the quiver but I wonder if just going single quiver with the SB150 is really the way to go. Seems like all reviewers are saying itís much more nimble and lighter on its feet compared to other long travel 29. Maybe the perfect quiver killer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by michaeldorian View Post
    I have a 2019 Stumpjumper and was also thinking of adding another more park friendly bike to the quiver but I wonder if just going single quiver with the SB150 is really the way to go. Seems like all reviewers are saying itís much more nimble and lighter on its feet compared to other long travel 29. Maybe the perfect quiver killer.
    Which 19 SJ did you get?

ncm
    mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Was able to demo one of these today from yeti HQ.

First off... the bike looks amazing in person, and I initially thought it was fugly when the pics first leaked.

I can really only compare to the sb100, as while I have demoed/rented a number of bikes, time was limited and spread out. I have had the sb100 for 3 months now, and I settled on that after demoing the entire yeti fleet as well as a few other bikes.

And before moving to colorado last year, my experience with mountain biking was limited to some easy-ish trails on a hard tail and 1 trip to Utah a couple years ago for more intermediate stuff. Before that, I was a pretty avid road cyclist for a number of years.

Anyhow, mountain biking is my new obsession and Iím likely going to add a long travel to compliment the 100.

As for the sb150... It felt great as soon as I sat down; I was worried about the reach on the Large frame... but honestly felt better positioned than on the sb100.

It climbs amazingly well... obviously not as well as the sb100, but I was quite surprised at how close it was. Turning initiation is a bit more sluggish, but for me it was more stable climbing tight/rocky switchbacks and very confidence inspiring on larger uphill obstacles.

Of course this bike descends much better than the sb100... but I was surprised at how reponsive/nimble it was.

For those of you familiar with Golden, CO, I rode it in Apex Park about 12 miles with 3 loops on Enchanted Forest.

Yeti SB150 Ride, Performance and Build talk.-e08a1714-0bed-4c57-aad3-52b51f9f7941.jpg

mtbr member
    Was able to demo one of these today from yeti HQ.

First off... the bike looks amazing in person, and I initially thought it was fugly when the pics first leaked.

I can really only compare to the sb100, as while I have demoed/rented a number of bikes, time was limited and spread out. I have had the sb100 for 3 months now, and I settled on that after demoing the entire yeti fleet as well as a few other bikes.

And before moving to colorado last year, my experience with mountain biking was limited to some easy-ish trails on a hard tail and 1 trip to Utah a couple years ago for more intermediate stuff. Before that, I was a pretty avid road cyclist for a number of years.

Anyhow, mountain biking is my new obsession and Iím likely going to add a long travel to compliment the 100.

As for the sb150... It felt great as soon as I sat down; I was worried about the reach on the Large frame... but honestly felt better positioned than on the sb100.

It climbs amazingly well... obviously not as well as the sb100, but I was quite surprised at how close it was. Turning initiation is a bit more sluggish, but for me it was more stable climbing tight/rocky switchbacks and very confidence inspiring on larger uphill obstacles.

Of course this bike descends much better than the sb100... but I was surprised at how reponsive/nimble it was.

For those of you familiar with Golden, CO, I rode it in Apex Park about 12 miles with 3 loops on Enchanted Forest.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E08A1714-0BED-4C57-AAD3-52B51F9F7941.jpg 
Views:	1192 
Size:	312.5 KB 
ID:	1214119
    Nice! Jealous

mtbr member

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E08A1714-0BED-4C57-AAD3-52B51F9F7941.jpg 
Views:	1192 
Size:	312.5 KB 
ID:	1214119
    What is your height and Inseam ? Just curious to know how it felt to you based on your physical build ? Thanks for sharing your demo experience.

ncm
    mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    What is your height and Inseam ? Just curious to know how it felt to you based on your physical build ? Thanks for sharing your demo experience.
    Oh I meant to put that in the post anyway.

6í with 34.5Ē inseam, 165 lbs.

Yok
    mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    NCM.. are you referring to the same sizing for both SB100 and SB150 ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by peterhenric View Post
    Which 19 SJ did you get?
    SW Long Travel!

---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

ncm
    mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Yok View Post
    NCM.. are you referring to the same sizing for both SB100 and SB150 ?
    Yes; I ride a large sb100 and would definitely choose large for the sb150.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    All of them plus a few more actually. I have some personal issues to work through....lol!
    Dam sun, I thought I had a problem till I ran into you. I was thinking about a Yeti SB100 (never owned a Yeti) that my shop has in stock. I've been a Pivot and Ibis fanboy for a while (have a Ripmo coming in Sept to go with my Pivot 429SL, Pivot LES SS, Pivot Vault, Ibis Mojo3, Mojo HD4, Ripley LS and a couple Colnago road bikes). I though for sure I had to get rid of something but after seeing your sig, why not just add to the party?! Maybe there are better Yeti's than the SB100 (?), but that's the only one that doesn't seem to overlap with what I have.
    Yeti SB100
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley LS V3
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD4
    Pivot 429SL
    Pivot LES SS
    Colnago C60 Disc

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I am 5'10". What made you choose that over a medium? I currently ride a large Hightower OG. I've spent the last 2 days demoing a large Kona Process 153 carbon 29, which I thought may be too big. It was perfect. It has the same reach as the large SB150. So not I am leaning towards the large Yeti. Your thoughts?

mtbr member

Iím in a similar situation. 5í9Ē on a Large SC Hightower. Fits perfect.
    Every Yeti Iíve ridden (size M) has felt a little cramped. The Large feels perfect. The sizing chart on Yetiís site has me clearly in the M range. Does anyone else have experience with this?

mtbr member
    https://youtu.be/v44YQsy4LlA

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Hi guys,

One more size question... and hesitation : )
    I am 5'7/1m70 and currently ride a small SB6c with already a 40mm stem (reach 404mm). I am also "pretty" light at 143lbs/65kg.

I am feeling damn good on that bike and ride a mix of technical trails and quite a lot of bike park in the summer in France near Grenoble.

The 460 reach on the medium size looks like a big gap from my current 404. On the other end, the TT at 572 is quite short (582 on the Small SB6c). I could go with a 32mm stem on the SB150 Medium...

So, which size would you go on a SB150? Small or Medium? Pro's and Con's?

Thanks for your help!
    M@xime

mtbr member
    Dam sun, I thought I had a problem till I ran into you. I was thinking about a Yeti SB100 (never owned a Yeti) that my shop has in stock. I've been a Pivot and Ibis fanboy for a while (have a Ripmo coming in Sept to go with my Pivot 429SL, Pivot LES SS, Pivot Vault, Ibis Mojo3, Mojo HD4, Ripley LS and a couple Colnago road bikes). I though for sure I had to get rid of something but after seeing your sig, why not just add to the party?! Maybe there are better Yeti's than the SB100 (?), but that's the only one that doesn't seem to overlap with what I have.
    Do you find a large difference between the Ripley LS and the 429SL? My buddy demoed the 429SL and SB100 back to back in Park City a few months back. Hands down he liked the way he sat "in" the SB100 vs "on" the 429SL and he felt the SB descended much better and gave him more confidence, hence his purchase of that bike. If the Ripley is not similar to your 429SL, then that bike (the Ripley LS) is probably more like an SB4.5 and I'd say yes to the fact that an SB100 in your fleet will not have much overlap because it is not like the 429SL or the RipleyLS. There is a noticeable difference between the SB4.5 and the SB100. I don't have any descending PR's on the SB100 like I do on the SB4.5 when compared with the larger Yeti lineup. I do continue to get those climbing PR's on the SB100 however, so any model overlap so to speak is minimal.
    2019 SB150
    2019 SB130
    2019 SB100
    2018 FollowingV2
    2017 SB5
    2016 SB55
    2016 Wreckoning
    2016 SB45
    2015 SB6
    2016 Farley

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I like everything about this bike! Perfect travel and geometry.

If anyone has a good deal on a new large X01 build please send me a PM!
    Filme von Draussen
    Instagram Profile
    Current bikes:
    Pivot Switchblade
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 3
    Orbea Alma

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Do you find a large difference between the Ripley LS and the 429SL? My buddy demoed the 429SL and SB100 back to back in Park City a few months back. Hands down he liked the way he sat "in" the SB100 vs "on" the 429SL and he felt the SB descended much better and gave him more confidence, hence his purchase of that bike. If the Ripley is not similar to your 429SL, then that bike (the Ripley LS) is probably more like an SB4.5 and I'd say yes to the fact that an SB100 in your fleet will not have much overlap because it is not like the 429SL or the RipleyLS. There is a noticeable difference between the SB4.5 and the SB100. I don't have any descending PR's on the SB100 like I do on the SB4.5 when compared with the larger Yeti lineup. I do continue to get those climbing PR's on the SB100 however, so any model overlap so to speak is minimal.
    Yeah, the Rip LS and 429SL are nothing alike. My 429 has a 100mm fork and is purely for XC (either racing or the tight, twisty hard pack trails in Dallas). The Ripley is much slacker (67.5* vs 70.3*, yikes!) and a much better descender. I set downhill PR's all over Park City and Deer Valley in July on the Ripley, and I had the 429 there last year. I was just thinking of adding something to the stable that was a little less racy and twitchy but still super fast, moreso than the Ripley. The Rip is at 26.5 pounds with pedals, not sure I can get much lower with the Enve 630 wheels and 2.6 Rekons on it already. There's probably not THAT much difference between any of these bikes, I was just maybe thinking of trying out a Yeti for a change. lol Thanks for your info!
    Yeti SB100
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley LS V3
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD4
    Pivot 429SL
    Pivot LES SS
    Colnago C60 Disc

mtbr member
    Yeah, the Rip LS and 429SL are nothing alike. My 429 has a 100mm fork and is purely for XC (either racing or the tight, twisty hard pack trails in Dallas). The Ripley is much slacker (67.5* vs 70.3*, yikes!) and a much better descender. I set downhill PR's all over Park City and Deer Valley in July on the Ripley, and I had the 429 there last year. I was just thinking of adding something to the stable that was a little less racy and twitchy but still super fast, moreso than the Ripley. The Rip is at 26.5 pounds with pedals, not sure I can get much lower with the Enve 630 wheels and 2.6 Rekons on it already. There's probably not THAT much difference between any of these bikes, I was just maybe thinking of trying out a Yeti for a change. lol Thanks for your info!
    I don't know if the SB100 is faster than the RipleyLS per say as that is a very competent bike IMO. But, I do have the SB100 at 25.9 Lbs w/M60 Enves on 2.3DHR front, 2.35Ardent race rear, size large, guide ultimate brakes, all XX1 except I went with 1x11 as that 50 toother is never needed.
    2019 SB150
    2019 SB130
    2019 SB100
    2018 FollowingV2
    2017 SB5
    2016 SB55
    2016 Wreckoning
    2016 SB45
    2015 SB6
    2016 Farley

mtbr member
    I hope to get my demo on the SB150 in the next week somewhere in Western Colorado. I might need to go back to Crested Butte for a couple days.

If I did pull the trigger I'd do frame only and sell my Sentinel Frame and transfer over the parts.
    Yeti SB150
    Yeti SB130
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Trans Sentinel
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy

ncm
    mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    About to pull the trigger. I'm debating between this and the 5.5 now... my shop has one large (Turquoise X01 build) left for 20% off MSRP... prefer the sb150... but hard to pass up that deal and the 5.5 is time tested.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by M@xime View Post
    Hi guys,

One more size question... and hesitation : )
    I am 5'7/1m70 and currently ride a small SB6c with already a 40mm stem (reach 404mm). I am also "pretty" light at 143lbs/65kg.

I am feeling damn good on that bike and ride a mix of technical trails and quite a lot of bike park in the summer in France near Grenoble.

The 460 reach on the medium size looks like a big gap from my current 404. On the other end, the TT at 572 is quite short (582 on the Small SB6c). I could go with a 32mm stem on the SB150 Medium...

So, which size would you go on a SB150? Small or Medium? Pro's and Con's?

Thanks for your help!
    M@xime
    The reach is much longer but the STA is so steep it will fit about the same. I'm 5'7" as well and I ordered a Medium SB130.
    Yeti SB130 Turq X0
    WAO Agents with I9s

mtbr member
    I hope to get my demo on the SB150 in the next week somewhere in Western Colorado. I might need to go back to Crested Butte for a couple days.

If I did pull the trigger I'd do frame only and sell my Sentinel Frame and transfer over the parts.
    Have you ridden Monarch Crest?
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    YT Capra CF Pro XXL - $4,299
    Yeti SB150 XL FRAME ONLY - $3,800, GX Comp with lesser Fork/Shock but with 12 speeds is $6,199

(Neither bike in those sizes currently available...)

Same Reach, slightly lower stack on the SB150 (even with 10mm more fork travel).
    Yeti has slightly shorter chainstay, but that is by design as YT provides longer CS on larger bikes.
    Capra has slightly shorter wheelbase
    Yeti has 1 degree slacker HT angle at 64.5, and almost a degree steeper ST angle. (comparing to Low Capra).
    Same BB height (But my Capra seems so much lower than the SB55 and that is also the same height) ((please don't lecture on the suspension being the reason...I know. I am just sayin)).
    Yeti has 5 mm longer Seat Tube length.

Without riding the Yeti, I will concede it pedals more efficiently and even the "C" series frame is likely lighter than the Capra.

Someone earlier posted the SB150 is not a replacement for the SB55. But there is no SB55 model anymore, so.... I do agree it is a different bike (lower, slacker). This is the bike I wanted my SB55 to be. I did not have the cajones to cut the seat tube and there was nothing I could do about the reach. So sold her and took that money and another $700 and bought the Capra.

Downside...no more silver or black/carbon. But these are better colorways than Santa Cruz IMO.

...and of course NOW I can say the Yeti has bottle cage bosses in the triangle and the Capra has none:0

Would like to try one out at the next local Yeti Demo.
    2018 YT Capra CF Pro 29er XXL

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by LaCostaClydesdale View Post
    YT Capra CF Pro XXL - $4,299
    Yeti SB150 XL FRAME ONLY - $3,800, GX Comp with lesser Fork/Shock but with 12 speeds is $6,199

(Neither bike in those sizes currently available...)

Same Reach, slightly lower stack on the SB150 (even with 10mm more fork travel).
    Yeti has slightly shorter chainstay, but that is by design as YT provides longer CS on larger bikes.
    Capra has slightly shorter wheelbase
    Yeti has 1 degree slacker HT angle at 64.5, and almost a degree steeper ST angle. (comparing to Low Capra).
    Same BB height (But my Capra seems so much lower than the SB55 and that is also the same height) ((please don't lecture on the suspension being the reason...I know. I am just sayin)).
    Yeti has 5 mm longer Seat Tube length.

Without riding the Yeti, I will concede it pedals more efficiently and even the "C" series frame is likely lighter than the Capra.

Someone earlier posted the SB150 is not a replacement for the SB55. But there is no SB55 model anymore, so.... I do agree it is a different bike (lower, slacker). This is the bike I wanted my SB55 to be. I did not have the cajones to cut the seat tube and there was nothing I could do about the reach. So sold her and took that money and another $700 and bought the Capra.

Downside...no more silver or black/carbon. But these are better colorways than Santa Cruz IMO.

...and of course NOW I can say the Yeti has bottle cage bosses in the triangle and the Capra has none:0

Would like to try one out at the next local Yeti Demo.
    How would you compare the suspension between the 5.5 and your Capra? I love my 5.5 but would like more reach. Was waiting for the 150 to come out but balking at the $3800 price tag when there are bikes like the complete Capra pro for only a little bit more.

Been reading reviews of the Capra and a lot of them say the suspension feels a little harsh on the descents which is surprising to me. Wondering if this was a shock issue as many on the DPX2 Hightower LT are complaining of the same thing.

mtbr member
    Suspension going up, or slower speed over rock gardens is better on the SB55. Small bump sensitivity is better. Capra is still good in that regard though. Switch Infinity is hard to beat though. I did get a little more pedal kickback from the Yeti.

Descending I would say Capra hands down. It feels better and my times are faster. I would not say it is harsh. The ramp up at the end of the stroke is not noticeable, really. In a good way. Getting full travel for heavier riders can be challenging. But midstroke is good and I think better, more poppy than SB55

But this is also influenced by GEO not just suspension. I prefer the position on the Capra both climbing and descending. It enables you muscle the bike more easily and it's for sure lower and slacker. Being lower makes a lot of difference on a big 29er. The steeper seat angle on the Capra provides a better climbing position (again, I'm a big person so seat angle is more important)

With the SB150 geo, if the suspension performs as well as the SB55, that could really be a spectacular bike. But that will cost you.
    2018 YT Capra CF Pro 29er XXL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LaCostaClydesdale View Post
    Suspension going up, or slower speed over rock gardens is better on the SB55. Small bump sensitivity is better. Capra is still good in that regard though. Switch Infinity is hard to beat though. I did get a little more pedal kickback from the Yeti.

Descending I would say Capra hands down. It feels better and my times are faster. I would not say it is harsh. The ramp up at the end of the stroke is not noticeable, really. In a good way. Getting full travel for heavier riders can be challenging. But midstroke is good and I think better, more poppy than SB55

But this is also influenced by GEO not just suspension. I prefer the position on the Capra both climbing and descending. It enables you muscle the bike more easily and it's for sure lower and slacker. Being lower makes a lot of difference on a big 29er. The steeper seat angle on the Capra provides a better climbing position (again, I'm a big person so seat angle is more important)

With the SB150 geo, if the suspension performs as well as the SB55, that could really be a spectacular bike. But that will cost you.
    The Capra STA is not steeper than the 150 though right?

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast