mtbr member
    Mar 2019

Yeti SB140 Discussion, Performance and Build

Alright letís call it the SB140 now that we know

Released on July 29th
    27"
    160/140 (Fox 36 / DPX2)
    Available in Turquoise, Orange, Dark Blue

Unlikely to be upgradable to a LR version (no longer stroke for the DPX2) but letís see. Will probably not replace the SB6.

For the SB6 lovers out there, the best option might be to go with the SB165 frame and get a 230x60 instead of the 230x65 to get 152mm of travel and reduce the fork to 170mm instead of 180mm, that way you keep the SB6 travel front and rear. It will reduce the slack and put you in an ever better pedaling position! Just an idea ... because I know many people wanted a new SB6.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by digev View Post

Released on July 29th
    27"
    160/140 (Fox 36 / DPX2)

Unlikely to be upgradable to a LR version (no longer stroke for the DPX2) but letís see. Will probably not replace the SB6.

For the SB6 lovers out there, the best option might be to go with the SB165 frame and get a 230x60 instead of the 230x65 to get 152mm of travel and reduce the fork to 170mm instead of 180mm, that way you keep the SB6 travel front and rear. It will reduce the slack and put you in an ever better pedaling position! Just an idea ... because I know many people wanted a new SB6.

The colors are Grey, orange and Turquoise.
    2.6 tires front and rear (Rekon,DHF)
    Odi Grips
    SRAM g2 brakes
    Starts at $5399

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Thanks

mtbr member

Released on July 29th
    27"
    160/140 (Fox 36 / DPX2)

Inho this would be a better sb6c replacment . Trends are STA and reach numbers, and increase dropper post, plus updated leverage curve trends. updated, travel numbers dont mean better or worse than previous model. SB100 less travel than sb45c but better, sb130 vs sb55c..etc

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Instagram/Youtube- Dagonger
    Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    As a first-time Tribe attender, Iím wondering if Yeti brings their demo fleet to the event ? Iíd love to demo this new bike ...
    Yeti SB5.5 (2018)
    Santa Cruz HT LT (2018)
    Yeti SB5 (2016)
    Spot Rollik 150 (2019)
    Specialized Fatboy (2015)

mtbr member
    I am definitely interested in this SB140. Many of the new school geometry, mid-travel medium 29ers are a bit much for me and my preference of riding. They can be fun at times, but for the most part they are less engaging on the ride and I am constantly struggle with cornering. Correspondingly the mid-travel 29er in size small are too small. I do like the comfort of the longer geometry without giving up the fun factor and therefore hoping that the smaller wheels provide a good combination for my desires.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Yahoo must've broken that embargo - https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/yeti...040100914.html

mtbr member
    2019 EVIL Insurgent LB
    2018 EVIL Calling
    2018 Commencal Meta HT AM
    2016 YETI sb6c
    2013 YETI sb66c
    2009 YETI DJ

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    As expected, yes it is out

https://www.yeticycles.com/bikes/sb140

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Looks like really a nice toy, that could be a proper competitor for the Bronson.
    Was checking the sizes, and looks like the seat tube length on M size is 450mm - thats a bit too long, unless its mistake..

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    How low will the bb be with 170 fork on the sb165? And the head angle?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy-Runs View Post
    Looks like really a nice toy, that could be a proper competitor for the Bronson.
    Was checking the sizes, and looks like the seat tube length on M size is 450mm - thats a bit too long, unless its mistake..
    Thats a misprint and Yeti have mistakenly put the geo numbers for the SB130 in its place since the seat tube length is 450mm for Size Large on the SB140....it also lists the Fork offset at 44mm and it's actually 37mm offset. They should update it once they realize they made that simple mistake.
    Yeti SB165
    Yeti SB150
    Yeti SB130 AXS
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy

mtbr member
    410mm seat tube on the medium.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    At 5'6" with a 29"-30" inseam, I'm smack dab in the middle of the S and M frame sizes. I had a 2003 ASR-SL in S which felt good at the time. Any ideas on which way to go on this bike?

I'm looking for a replacement for my size M Santa Cruz 5010 v1 and am seriously considering a Bronson v3 (demo'd in M which felt good) but I'm now really interested in the SB140.

I live and ride in the NorCal bay area (Wilder, UC, Demo, JMP, JNT, Chabot, Skeggs, etc.) in case anyone has any thoughts about Bronson vs SB140. I thought my 5010 was great for how and where I ride but recently felt that a little more slack and travel would be nice. My primary, and only bike at the moment, is a 27.5+ hardtail which is fine for most everything I ride and because of that I started to feel that there was too much overlap with the 5010 so that frees me up for a slightly bigger bike for stuff like Downieville, Northstar, etc.

LCW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnybex View Post
    Thats a misprint and Yeti have mistakenly put the geo numbers for the SB130 in its place since the seat tube length is 450mm for Size Large on the SB140....it also lists the Fork offset at 44mm and it's actually 37mm offset. They should update it once they realize they made that simple mistake.

Looks like they've updated the geo... at least on the full site...

https://www.yeticycles.com/bikes/sb140/?guide:spec-geo

Santa Cruz Hightower LT
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by m2_boy View Post
    At 5'6" with a 29"-30" inseam, I'm smack dab in the middle of the S and M frame sizes. I had a 2003 ASR-SL in S which felt good at the time. Any ideas on which way to go on this bike?

I'm looking for a replacement for my size M Santa Cruz 5010 v1 and am seriously considering a Bronson v3 (demo'd in M which felt good) but I'm now really interested in the SB140.

I live and ride in the NorCal bay area (Wilder, UC, Demo, JMP, JNT, Chabot, Skeggs, etc.) in case anyone has any thoughts about Bronson vs SB140. I thought my 5010 was great for how and where I ride but recently felt that a little more slack and travel would be nice. My primary, and only bike at the moment, is a 27.5+ hardtail which is fine for most everything I ride and because of that I started to feel that there was too much overlap with the 5010 so that frees me up for a slightly bigger bike for stuff like Downieville, Northstar, etc.
    If your in the middle. I would always size up if you can.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    They changed the sizing on the website now, thereís more overlap in the sizes. Iím 5í6 and ride mediums as I found the small to be a bit cramped. The medium 130 feels pretty good with a 32mm stem, if I were to build a 140 it would be a medium.

Go ride!
    Dec 2011
    We got to ride the SB140 earlier this month at Yeti's headquarters, here are our thoughts! For those of you in Socal, we're hoping to get a couple demos built soon too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    This is the larger travel bike I've been waiting for. I think it would be perfect as a mullet bike. I love my SB100, it's efficient, fast, xc/trail machine. I have two wheel sets for it, an XC 1300gram race/endurance, and I9 trail 270 for every day riding. I thought it would be enough to compensate for less travel but it's not. I still need to pick my lines carefully. I find myself missing more travel and having that forgiveness. I had the SB66c for 3 years and that thing was fun jumping and whipping it around. I ran a 27.5" front the last year I owned to keep up with my faster 29er buddies but still able to maintain that playfulness. I then moved to the SB5c which was the sweet spot for me with efficient pedaling but still enough travel. I had that for 3 years as well and the final year I was running 27.5+tire up front, again to help keep speed and smooth the front chatter.

I'm sure the Yeti SB140 specc'ed build is great, but I bet it can "rip" and "race" with a 29er up front. I'm eyeing frame build with likely 29 140/150mm up front. Probably will do a mix of gx/xo for weight/cost savings unless XT1x is out by this fall. If anyone does a similar mullet build please let me know so I can keep tabs on it.

For people in between sizes, I'm 5'7" 150# geared. I strongly recommend sizing up if you're the same height as me. Previously owned 575, ASR-C, SB66c, SB5, SB100.

mtbr member
    The entire Rip / Race premise is a joke. Any skilled rider that can pin it rips any bike they ride and theyíre so fast that the trail speed is usually race worthy regardless of and SB165 vs SB150 and really comes down to preferred wheel size to adapt to a certain riders body sizing and comfort.

I myself am just a slightly above average rider so I tend to chose 29Ē wheels just to help compensate for my skill level and as I improve as a rider I gain more confidence.

I can guarantee you that Rude would win any race regardless of wheel size just because heís so damn good so enjoy these new choices in the Yeti lineup and get out and shred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeti SB165
    Yeti SB150
    Yeti SB130 AXS
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnybex View Post
    The entire Rip / Race premise is a joke. Any skilled rider that can pin it rips any bike they ride and theyíre so fast that the trail speed is usually race worthy regardless of and SB165 vs SB150 and really comes down to preferred wheel size to adapt to a certain riders body sizing and comfort.

I myself am just a slightly above average rider so I tend to chose 29Ē wheels just to help compensate for my skill level and as I improve as a rider I gain more confidence.

I can guarantee you that Rude would win any race regardless of wheel size just because heís so damn good so enjoy these new choices in the Yeti lineup and get out and shred

Tend to agree.
    But whatever, if thatís what floats their marketing/PR boats, go for it

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Once again the teal yeti looks amazing, yeti for sure makes some of the best looking bikes.

After watching the Vitalmtb video and hearing their feedback about how it rides, I have to agree that this would be an interesting/ good bike to see in a mullet setup: https://youtu.be/xK5XlUIvG30

I was torn between the sb130 and the new hightower (went with the hightower) and had this bike been released the decision would have been even tougher.

mtbr member
    These new bikes make for good mullet platforms. Running my 165 in mixed wheel and have a 140 coming to do the same. Super impressed with how fast and fun this setup is.

Yeti SB140 Discussion, Performance and Build-sb165-1-.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2019

Interesting! Does it still climb alright or you did something to correct the angle a bit? Great view btw.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Rom3n View Post
    These new bikes make for good mullet platforms. Running my 165 in mixed wheel and have a 140 coming to do the same. Super impressed with how fast and fun this setup is.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sb165 (1).jpg 
Views:	486 
Size:	462.0 KB 
ID:	1268079
    Ride report on the 140 mullet as soon as you can please... Iím thinking of going down that path too.

mtbr member
    Interesting! Does it still climb alright or you did something to correct the angle a bit? Great view btw.
    Climbs fine with a 170 fork. Would be more agile with a 160 but this will be my park / shuttle bike mostly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Cool then

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Damn, I got an sb6 and I got pushed 36 170 and an 11.6, the 165 will ned an SS wich comes at a 600 usd rebuild cost, I'm satisfied with the travel but with a coil in the rear the sb6 is a bit of a plow bike, would like the same bike with a shorter stay and more progressive linkage, so wondering the sb165 but fear that also would be a bit of a plow bike, the sb140 seems really cool though wished it had 150 travel😅
    Also considering the bronson
    So for those who have tried the sb165, is it a fun bike or bit of a plow where everything else that gnarly becomes boring?
    And would the sb140 be to much with a 170 fork?

mtbr member
    Sb165.is a fun bike. I had.a coiled sb6c for 3 yrs and loved the sb165 as it reminded me of a better sb6c with all the similarities of one.

Sb140 imho is a good sb6c replacment and will be fine with 170mm fork.

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Hi Guys,

I am currently in the US for holiday and would like to buy a SB140 frameset. Any of you have a idea where in NoCal area I could get one ? I already contacted competitive cyclist but they only have complete bikes in stock.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I bet Woodside Bike Shop could get you one, Rythm bikes too

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Pride View Post
    I bet Woodside Bike Shop could get you one, Rythm bikes too
    Thanks for the Tip ! Rhythm Bikes will get it done for me

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eastwoodLB View Post
    Hi Guys,

I am currently in the US for holiday and would like to buy a SB140 frameset. Any of you have a idea where in NoCal area I could get one ? I already contacted competitive cyclist but they only have complete bikes in stock.
    What size and color? Trail Head Cyclery just got a couple in this week.

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagonger View Post
    What size and color? Trail Head Cyclery just got a couple in this week.

Hey Dagoner, thanks for asking . I already bought one from Rhythm Bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eastwoodLB View Post
    Hey Dagoner, thanks for asking . I already bought one from Rhythm Bikes.
    Nice..Chad is a good guy..

I'm taking THC sb140 out tomorrow

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    Instagram live tonight...sb140/sb165.
    I had both for 2 days..

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    https://youtu.be/RH0yifT19Ng

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    How's the SB140 compare to some of the other modern geometry bikes out there? Any comparison come to mind? I was thinking it looks like it could have characteristics similar to the Transition Scout (besides the aluminum vs carbon).

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    are we falling into being consumers being taken advantage of by marketing?
    I say this because I've been riding my 2014 Yeti SB66 carbon bike and can't seem to justify jumping on a 27.5 or any newer geometry bike since it seems like what I have is not outdated. that being said, I'm intereted in demoing the new SB140 but have no intention in buying one considering I payed for a complete XT carbon bike with some worthy upgrades to the suspension(Avalanche) and going to a 1x11 drivetrain, Fox dropper post and newer short stem which i feel brings my bike close to where bikes are currently at. short of having a set of wide rim wheels, I've got far less money invested than what I'd pay for a new bike nowadays.
    I will say that I've demoed some Ibis bikes and the feel of wide carbon wheels are quite nice but in the end when you get into your ride you kind of forget all the subtle differences between the "old" and the current technology.

Hisforever
    Hard to say, but everyone is different, i love the new geo bikes, and find it very hard to justify buying 'older' geo whatever, even if its a great deal. just an opinion, but I feel the nuance is quite noticeable

more comfort climbing and stronger descending is worth upgrading imo. i love to ride and I'm finding that I will spend the money...on multiple rides. life is too short, enjoy it.

PipedreamMoxie
    M 5.5
    Yeti
    Evil
    Yz 250x braap

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by wolsey View Post
    are we falling into being consumers being taken advantage of by marketing?
    I say this because I've been riding my 2014 Yeti SB66 carbon bike and can't seem to justify jumping on a 27.5 or any newer geometry bike since it seems like what I have is not outdated ...
    You are missing out ... Wheel sizes is definitely the most noticeable upgrade you can feel and enjoy on the trail! Reading between the lines and not falling into the marketing traps is one thing ... but the new geos are really good and will almost certainly make you smile even more. (Iím not even talking about the whole performance gain)

XSEAL
    Feb 2018
    Iíd like to see a test of a SB140 with 34 Fox 140mm fork and 29 front wheel. May be the perfect go anywhere (but not EWS capable) trail bike. The 160/36 fork seems a bit heavy and burley for the tail bike application.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SHAHEEB View Post
    Hard to say, but everyone is different, i love the new geo bikes, and find it very hard to justify buying 'older' geo whatever, even if its a great deal. just an opinion, but I feel the nuance is quite noticeable

more comfort climbing and stronger descending is worth upgrading imo. i love to ride and I'm finding that I will spend the money...on multiple rides. life is too short, enjoy it.

I agree that this bike is an improvement over my SB66 from the standpoint of the seat tube height and slightly slacker head tube, along with a long list of other changes which have got me wanting to try it out
    It just seems ridiculous that since my 26" bike has been fazed out that Yeti has had multiple models of the 27.5 but now it seems like they've hit the target with this new bike, hopefully
    Even though we all benefit from the advancement in technology, I still have the belief that the 26" wheel was dropped for the 27.5" to revamp the industry, which again is a good thing for it not to go stale
    I guess I try to appreciate what I have and not feel like I'm missing out by not having the latest and greatest.
    Now if I can find an XL to demo or wait for a demo event to really see what the buzz is all about!

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Opinion: Is Modern MTB Geometry Overhyped?
    https://crankjoy.com/modern-geometry-overhyped/

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Question on sizing: Iím coming off a medium SB5 which felt somewhat cramped. Iím 178cm so right at the bottom of Yeti size chart for size Large SB140. I do realise that it would be a massive jump in reach going from Medium SB5 to Large SB140, but the top tube is only 18.5mm longer which can easily be adjusted for with stem/saddle. How should I be thinking about this? I wonít be able to demo before buying.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019

Code:
     The big news is the new 77-degree seat tube, up a whopping 4 degrees from the SB5C. This gives the new Yeti SB140 a far more efficient climbing position.
    Source: https://enduro-mtb.com/en/yeti-sb140-first-ride-review/

At you height itís clearly a tricky choice because theyíve stretched the new frames compared to your SB5 but like you said going up one size "should" also work if you get a 32mm stem and push your saddle forward ... but still, it might feel cumbersome.

If you kept the SB5 for a while even if it felt a bit too small it means youíre used to it and can probably be happy on a slightly longer frame (M) without going all the way to the (L).

But keep in mind that the steeper seat angle will put you more in the middle when pedaling so even on a Large you should not be too far from the truth ...

If you ride a lot of high speed trails go L but if your thing is low speed tech trails full of tight corners then maybe the M is more suitable!

Just a thought...

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

Cool-blue Rhythm

Finally got my build together and can't wait to ride this thing ! Still waiting for matchmakers and the correct saddle

Yeti SB140 Discussion, Performance and Build-fullsizeoutput_44f.jpg
    Yeti SB140 Discussion, Performance and Build-fullsizeoutput_468.jpg
    Yeti SB140 Discussion, Performance and Build-fullsizeoutput_450.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I currently ride a SB66c, last year my shock blew mid trip and had to rent. I forget exactly which Yeti i rented, but right off the bat i noticed i climbed much better. The 66 i always have to consiously shift way forward as the front likes to wander. SI also felt more supple. Being a light rider i end up having to go through some measures to get suspensions to work nicely. Corset, Luftkappe, custom tunes. The stock rental felt not bad at all.
    Am now waiting on delivery ofSB140!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by root View Post
    I currently ride a SB66c, last year my shock blew mid trip and had to rent. I forget exactly which Yeti i rented, but right off the bat i noticed i climbed much better. The 66 i always have to consiously shift way forward as the front likes to wander. SI also felt more supple. Being a light rider i end up having to go through some measures to get suspensions to work nicely. Corset, Luftkappe, custom tunes. The stock rental felt not bad at all.
    Am now waiting on delivery ofSB140!

Pardon me if this seems like a dump question but I too ride an SB66c and I believe our bikes have a more current geometry than most bikes from 2014 which makes it hard to believe the new bikes are so much better but I do want to ride this new SB140
    My question is in regards to the seat tube angle of the new bikes being less slack but is that really felt that greatly?
    I ask since we are able to adjust the seat fore or aft depending on what's most comfotable
    Its hard to wrap my head around all the angles and length changes compared to the "old SB66" and how or if it's that much better
    I need to ride one of these bikes so settle it for myslef

mtbr member
    Pardon me if this seems like a dump question but I too ride an SB66c and I believe our bikes have a more current geometry than most bikes from 2014 which makes it hard to believe the new bikes are so much better but I do want to ride this new SB140
    My question is in regards to the seat tube angle of the new bikes being less slack but is that really felt that greatly?
    I ask since we are able to adjust the seat fore or aft depending on what's most comfotable
    Its hard to wrap my head around all the angles and length changes compared to the "old SB66" and how or if it's that much better
    The steeper seat tube benefits us tall people riding XL frames. My ass was was really far back on the SB 4.5, 5, and 5.5

mtbr member
    Yes...its a noticeable change and improvement. If you watch my Instagram "live" feed. We discussed that topic tonight..

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I ask since we are able to adjust the seat fore or aft depending on what's most comfortable
    Yes the steepness has a very big impact on how bikes climb, but the lower your seat is the less impact, if you ride a XL for example, with a really high seat, a low seat tube angle will bring your seat far over the rear wheel, if you have an xs bike not so much, with a steeper angle you get more weight forward,
    The seat position forward and backwards should be used to get you ideal position down to the pedals, just putting it max forward to compensate for the seat angle can have som consequences for how your body feels on the bike when pedaling

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Not much posted on the 140 yet - anyone whoís ridden it and can comment on how it compares with the SB5, in terms of both performance and sizing?

Team Blindspot
    Sizing is similar, 5'9". Med fits well with a 50mm stem. I feel the bike is more active and planted throughout the travel. Not primarily at faster speed with the SB5. I.E. the faster
    you go with the SB5 the smoother it gets.Yeti SB140 Discussion, Performance and Build-20190824_070643-medium-.jpg
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by S-Works View Post
    Sizing is similar, 5'9". Med fits well with a 50mm stem. I feel the bike is more active and planted throughout the travel. Not primarily at faster speed with the SB5. I.E. the faster
    you go with the SB5 the smoother it gets.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190824_070643 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	376 
Size:	226.7 KB 
ID:	1275499
    Nice rig! Sorry just to clarify: did you mean that the *SB140* gets smoother the faster you go?
    And is that a Push shock youíve got on it?

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by lagerboy View Post
    Nice rig! Sorry just to clarify: did you mean that the *SB140* gets smoother the faster you go?
    And is that a Push shock youíve got on it?
    No the SB5 really smoothed out the faster I went, where the SB140 seems pretty planted and tracks better. Such as slow to med speed square edge hits and stutter type bumps the SB140 is noticebly smoother than the SB5.

Yes, that is a Push 11-6. This shock took it to yet another level. Love it!
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    i wonder, has anybody ridden a Bronson v3 and a yeti sb140 yet? would love a comparison of the 2, as Im on a v3 Bronson and want something a little more pedal friendly for bigger all day rides, but still fun and still capable of hitting the rougher stuff?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Ok ive got two rides on my 140 now. First was break in in Lost Lakes in Whistler. A little bit of everything, nothing extreme. Could immediately tell climbing was better. Both grinding gravel and technical. Was more supple on the small stuff. Was quite ďplayfulĒ, easy to pop the front and place with accuracy.
    Second day was Dark Crystal and that clinched it, a hard gravel climb, short section of some technical climb, hard technical descent. It handled it all great. Im happy with my purchase and feelnit was a good upgrade from my SB66c. The 4 pot XTs, 12 spd shimano, 2.6 tires also added to ability.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'm still stoked with my SB66c and have recently upgraded to a short stem and a slightly more aggressive rear tire which has again given the bike a fresh new feel. Im still pushing my limits with this bike which keeps me from wanting to upgrade, yet. I'd still like to demo this new Yeti 140 to feel how much of a difference there is between the two.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yeti SB140 Discussion, Performance and Build-img_1420.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I'm still stoked with my SB66c and have recently upgraded to a short stem and a slightly more aggressive rear tire which has again given the bike a fresh new feel. Im still pushing my limits with this bike which keeps me from wanting to upgrade, yet. I'd still like to demo this new Yeti 140 to feel how much of a difference there is between the two.
    My SB66c was a great bike, this one is even better. My one gripe with my 66 was climbing i had a hard time keeping the front end under control on climbs. I had to push the saddle forward and scoot forward on the nose. The 140 solved this. On the flip side, we just did Green Monster for the first time, big commit steep rock slabs. I had to tap out on the big ones. My rear got light and started swinging around on the first ones. Need to get more comfortable with it.
    Is it worth it? Im happy, no i didnt need to.
    BTW, im 5í7Ē 130lbs, i ended up going witg the small. Initially riding it around the driveway it seemed might be a little small, but i being an ex trialser the small ended up being good for me. That prob why the rear started coming around on me on the steep slabs tho.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by root View Post
    My SB66c was a great bike, this one is even better. My one gripe with my 66 was climbing i had a hard time keeping the front end under control on climbs. I had to push the saddle forward and scoot forward on the nose. The 140 solved this. On the flip side, we just did Green Monster for the first time, big commit steep rock slabs. I had to tap out on the big ones. My rear got light and started swinging around on the first ones. Need to get more comfortable with it.
    Is it worth it? Im happy, no i didnt need to.
    BTW, im 5í7Ē 130lbs, i ended up going witg the small. Initially riding it around the driveway it seemed might be a little small, but i being an ex trialser the small ended up being good for me. That prob why the rear started coming around on me on the steep slabs tho.
    Overall, would you say the 140 is roughly equal in performance to the 66 on the descents?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Overall, would you say the 140 is roughly equal in performance to the 66 on the descents?
    Yes, if not more. Havent had a chance to ride it on our usual DH, but on the Whistler stuff so far it been great. Stock its suppler on the small stuff. As earlier poster said, my SB66 it felt better when you got more speed. The 140 feels good even through slow chunk.
    Also went from 26Ēx2.35 to 27.5Ēx2.6 on 30mm rims made a good difference. Freind said he didnt like 2.6 when he tried it, too bouncy, i didnt think so. Couple what would have been wheel eating holes i was able to roll out of.
    I dont do big drops and jumps so cant give input on that.
    I will need to watch and adjust to the more forward position. Contemplating going to a 35mm stem, longer drop seatpost.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Anyone have thoughts on medium vs large size on sb140? Iím right in between at 5 feet 10 inches (178cm)

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Depends which is more comfortable. If youíre a long torsoíed 5í10Ē, Iíd probably lean towards a large because you cannot adjust reach.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Thanks - yeah Iím right bang in the middle. Pretty regular proportions though.

Have you ridden it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    I am 6.11" (180 cm) with long legs (88 cm inside leg length) and had the opportunity to test ride the the SB130 an the SB140 in M and L and the L was way better.
    The SB140 in M, especially seated, felt to short and also down the L felt much more composed.
    This was surprising to me because my actual bike is from 2014 in size M with a reach of only 424mm compared to the L SB140 with 480mm!!

The only thing i would change is the stem from 50mm down to 35mm so the overall reach (top tube + stem / in seated position) is 660mm which is the same like on my actual bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnybg View Post
    I am 6.11" (180 cm) with long legs (88 cm inside leg length) and had the opportunity to test ride the the SB130 an the SB140 in M and L and the L was way better.
    The SB140 in M, especially seated, felt to short and also down the L felt much more composed.
    This was surprising to me because my actual bike is from 2014 in size M with a reach of only 424mm compared to the L SB140 with 480mm!!

The only thing i would change is the stem from 50mm down to 35mm so the overall reach (top tube + stem / in seated position) is 660mm which is the same like on my actual bike.
    Was your saddle in the centre or shifted back/forward on the rails? And do you know your wingspan?

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Was your saddle in the centre or shifted back/forward on the rails? And do you know your wingspan?
    my wingspan is 182 cm and the saddle (which i would not use on my own bike) was little bit more forward.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yeti SB140 Discussion, Performance and Build-img_4723.jpg  

Yeti SB140 Discussion, Performance and Build-img_4722.jpg  

mtbr member
    My local shop said that the frame, with only the rear axle and seat post clamp, weighed 3544 grams.
    That seems very heavy, anyone know for sure?
    I Pity The Fool That Can't Ride A Bike Without A Dropper!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    yeti told me 3,1 kg (6,85 lbs) for the turq series

here a test where they hat the ting on a scale at 6,8 lbs for the c series
    https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...-sb140-review/

mtbr member
    Thanks.......
    I Pity The Fool That Can't Ride A Bike Without A Dropper!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Anyone tried both the 140 and 130 and can offer a comparison? Iím trying to decide between the two.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Anyone tried both the 140 and 130 and can offer a comparison? Iím trying to decide between the two.
    yes, like mentioned before.
    I think ist up to your preferences.
    I liked the 140 much more, more fun down and also up on the climbs, it felt more lively and easier to pedal up. On big jumps, drops and hard/tight corners it felt just better, playful, stable and really very fast out of corners.
    But like i said before, its all up to your preferences and riding style.
    For me it is the perfect bike for doing it all, riding home trails between 500-1500 vm climbing, long days in the alps with lot of climbing and descending in different terrain, and sometimes hitting jump lines in the bike park.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    yes, like mentioned before.
    I think ist up to your preferences.
    I liked the 140 much more, more fun down and also up on the climbs, it felt more lively and easier to pedal up. On big jumps, drops and hard/tight corners it felt just better, playful, stable and really very fast out of corners.
    But like i said before, its all up to your preferences and riding style.
    For me it is the perfect bike for doing it all, riding home trails between 500-1500 vm climbing, long days in the alps with lot of climbing and descending in different terrain, and sometimes hitting jump lines in the bike park.....
    Thanks! Very helpful.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Anyone with an SB140. Is the rear triangle more solid than the flexy 130/150?

I would have bought a 130 had the back end not taken a different trail to me and the front end! As loose as a mother of 11...

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Just ordered an SB140 size Large... gonna be a big jump in reach etc from my current Medium SB5. Hereís hoping to works out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Cool!! My frameset should be delivered in 3-4 weeks.... Whats your overall reach on your current bike?

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    424mm. And the new one is 480mm so itís going to take some adjusting for sure.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019

overall reach

yes my old one has also 424mm frame-reach but i meant the effective overall reach.
    Means measured from middle of seatpost (extended in seated position) to middle of handlebar where it is clamped from the stem.
    For example i have 660 overall reach on my old bike with medium frame and 50mm stem and also 660 mm on the sb140 in large with 35mm short stem.
    Last edited by johnnybg; 10-13-2019 at 01:45 AM. Reason: overall reach

Saving lives with knives.
    I have been riding my T1 SB140 for about 3 weeks now. I demoed one from my LBS and was instantly in love. Picked up a turquoise T1 build. It's maiden voyage was to copper harbor and rode the hardest stuff I've ever ridden. I'm coming off of a trek fuel ex 9.8 which has been a good bike, but has never given me the fizz like this thing. I have not been this excited about a bike since I built up my castellano fango. Super easy to get in the air and can tackle insanely technical lines. It may not may be as easy to go fast on the really rough as a 29er but it is 100% more fun.
    Formerly known as iceaxe

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    yes my old one has also 424mm frame-reach but i meant the effective overall reach.
    Means measured from middle of seatpost (extended in seated position) to middle of handlebar where it is clamped from the stem.
    For example i have 660 overall reach on my old bike with medium frame and 50mm stem and also 660 mm on the sb140 in large with 35mm short stem.
    Picking the bike up tomorrow and will measure then.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by frank daleview View Post
    I have been riding my T1 SB140 for about 3 weeks now. I demoed one from my LBS and was instantly in love. Picked up a turquoise T1 build. It's maiden voyage was to copper harbor and rode the hardest stuff I've ever ridden. I'm coming off of a trek fuel ex 9.8 which has been a good bike, but has never given me the fizz like this thing. I have not been this excited about a bike since I built up my castellano fango. Super easy to get in the air and can tackle insanely technical lines. It may not may be as easy to go fast on the really rough as a 29er but it is 100% more fun.
    Cool. I prefer 27Ē wheels for bikes with more than 120-130mm travel as you feel lower to the ground and more stable when things get very steep.

Do you notice the rear end to be flexy? This is the only reason I didnt buy a SB130...

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Lucked out and had an opportunity to demo an SB140 T1 medium, up in PA a couple weeks back. Instantly fell in love with it, as well.

I'm about 5'9"with a 30" inseam, and it did seem, at first, as if the cockpit was a bit short with the 50mm stem. But sliding the saddle back about 1 cm, made it all good.

Having an SB140 medium built up, with some tweaks. I'm going to stick with the 50mm stem for the build. But it looks like it won't reach my doorstep until late November / early December.

Should be fun, when it gets here!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yeti SB140 Discussion, Performance and Build-sb140_demo.jpg  

Yeti SB140 Discussion, Performance and Build-sb140_demo_saddle.jpg  

Yeti SB140 Discussion, Performance and Build-sb140_demo2.jpg  

2020 Yeti SB140 Custom
    2018 Specialize Enduro Comp 27.5 - X01
    2016 Pivot Mach 4 XT/XTR x2

mtbr member
    Sep 2015

Hey, https://geometrygeeks.bike/ seems to be pretty good for getting specific geo data on bikes. Helped me do a proper comparison, between the SB140 and my, Pivot Mach 4 and Specialized Enduro bikes.
    2020 Yeti SB140 Custom

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Why not raw carbon?!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015

i9 wheels for a Turquoise build

Any body have ideas for spoke colors on i9 wheels, for a Turquoise colored Sb140?

I'm digging the set of 305 wheels with the Turq accents, that Jeff @ WWC put on his SB5c build.

Looking for suggestions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yeti SB140 Discussion, Performance and Build-sb140_wheels_subtle.jpg  

Yeti SB140 Discussion, Performance and Build-sb140_wheels_more_colors.jpg  

Last edited by bikesalott; 10-18-2019 at 05:44 PM.
    2020 Yeti SB140 Custom

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Have a first ride in on my sb140 now. Sharing some initial impressions.
    Me: 178cm rider, 84kg fully geared up. I got the size Large.
    Bike came in at 13.6kg with XX1 components and Enve wheels, DT240 hubs etc - almost a full kg heavier than the Medium SB5 it replaced. Except for dropper post and fork, the other components were swapped over from my old bike.
    I felt a bit stretched out when seated on the larger frame, so Iíve swapped to 40mm from 50mm stem.
    Climbing: the SB5 was a very efficient climber and this one is even more so, in part because of the steeper seat tube angle. Almost no noticeable bob while pedalling - I doubt Iíll ever use the climb switch, even on roads. Bottom line is: if you have the legs for it, this bike will get you there.
    Descending: I expected to struggle somewhat initially to adjust to the huge jump in reach and wheelbase but I really didnít. I felt instantly able to find my balance on the bike. Itís definitely more stable than the SB5 and also a bit harder to get in the air, but not that much harder. I rode mostly smooth bike park stuff and some sections with loose rocks. Havenít taken it on anything super gnarly yet, hoping to do that next weekend.
    Overall if you liked the SB5, youíll love this one as youíre getting improvements across the board without any real sacrifices (besides weight).
    One thing I might do is get the ACS3 coil kit for the fork - I just donít think air springs can match the comfort and confidence you get with a coil. And as coils compress a bit easier off the top, that should put me in a perfect dynamic climbing position.

Now if I could just find a pair of Maxxis Dissector tires... but that seems like the MTB equivalent of an Elvis sighting at the moment.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I've been all over the place with a new bike choice. Mach 5.5, Remedy... I've never owned a Yeti.

Does anyone have rear axle path information? The Leverage ratio looks slightly linear-progressive...Can we run a coil shock on this? if so has anyone yet?

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Pmrmusic26 View Post
    I've been all over the place with a new bike choice. Mach 5.5, Remedy... I've never owned a Yeti.

Does anyone have rear axle path information? The Leverage ratio looks slightly linear-progressive...Can we run a coil shock on this? if so has anyone yet?
    Thereís one higher up on this thread. The answer on coil is yes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I've been all over the place with a new bike choice....

Does anyone have rear axle path information?
    This YouTube channel looks into suspension kinematics for a couple popular brands... https://www.youtube.com/user/andrextr

Here he is analyzing the Yeti SB6c anti squat and axle path:
    https://youtu.be/d3jPi1oOQPE

FWIW, I love my Pivot Mach 4 for cross country riding. But I kinda feel like the Yeti SB140 has better pedaling efficiency for the 140mm of travel, compared to the Mach 5.5.
    2020 Yeti SB140 Custom

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quick update on sizing: Iím 178cm with 180 wingspan and got a Large. After swapping the 50mm stem for a 40mm, this thing is right on the money. Stable as hell and rails corners. Very happy.

Doesn't feel flexy at all. If you do the "grab the seat tube and wheel" test, it seems the wheel flexes a little but the frame is solid. The more I ride it, the more I like it. It gives me the auto-smile every time I ride it.
    Formerly known as iceaxe

Supposedly you can but I am dubious. I ended up putting a small volume spacer in my dpx2, I may put in the next size up. I weigh 165 kitted up. Aggressive trail riding with up to 8 foot drops.
    Formerly known as iceaxe

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by frank daleview View Post
    Doesn't feel flexy at all. If you do the "grab the seat tube and wheel" test, it seems the wheel flexes a little but the frame is solid. The more I ride it, the more I like it. It gives me the auto-smile every time I ride it.
    Tha ks will try and demo one then.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    still waiting for my frame in size L, it should have already been delivered. And now the message from my dealer it has delay until end of january :-((( man its hard to wait when you first get the message it will show up earlier and in the end it takes much longer... and all the components are already here :-(((

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    still waiting for my frame in size L, it should have already been delivered. And now the message from my dealer it has delay until end of january :-((( man its hard to wait when you first get the message it will show up earlier and in the end it takes much longer... and all the components are already here :-(((
    What country is that dude?

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Austria
    The frame has already arrived at the dealer but the coating was not ok in one area of the rear triangle. So practicing patience...

mtbr member
    Sep 2015

Cool-blue Rhythm Dialing it in...

Received my SB140 build kit from The Bike Company. The kit was based on Yeti's T2 config, but was customized with an X01 Crank, X01 AXS Oil Slick, Code RSC brakes, 200/180mm rotors, 175mm dropper w/ Wolf Tooth lever, i9 A35 40mm stem (the stem was backordered so they sent a Raceface Turbine R 40mm stem as a placeholder), i9 310c carbon wheels, Maxxis DHRII 2.4WT and DHF 2.5WT 3C Max Terras. This medium build added up to 30lbs with a pair of Crank Brothers Mallet pedals.

The shop installed the brakes, dropper, bottom bracket and crank. Also, wheels came with cassette installed and tires mounted.

All I needed was a small torque wrench to bolt up the derailleur, front end, saddle, wheels, and pedals.

The fork feels great(!). But I'm going to play with the rear suspension a bit.

Yeti's suspension calcs for my body weight didn't result in sufficient sag. Alternatively, at 33% sag, I found that I was using almost all the rear travel, aggressively riding on my local trails, avoiding drops bigger than 1ft.

Yeti Calc settings for 200lb person:
    Shock: 261psi,
    LSC: 4
    HSC: Open
    HSR: 8

Yeti Calc settings for 180lb person (which gave me close to proper front and rear sag):
    Shock: 227psi,
    LSC: 5
    HSR: 9

Their website did say that their settings, are really just a starting point. Additional dialing-in should be expected.

Current Rear shock setup for 30% sag:
    Body weight 200lbs,
    Shock: ~225psi,
    LSC: 6 (from fully clockwise), -- Softer
    HSR: 8 -- Slower
    No Spacer

Result:
    The bike felt supple, tracked the ground extremely well... and RIPPED(!!!), but regularly used very close to all rear travel.

That might actually be what I should be aiming for(??). I'm open to opinions on this. I just get the sense that I should leave some more travel on the table for bigger drops(??).

There was no volume spacer pre-installed on my setup. I wonder if that would be the case, if this bike were built up as a standard config, coming directly from Yeti??

So, going to try out a 0.4 and see how that works for me. When it stops raining...

Next Ride:
    ~225psi, 0.4 Spacer, all else unchanged.
    Will follow up with results.

Would like to hear what other folks are doing for shock setup.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yeti SB140 Discussion, Performance and Build-yetisb140_kit.jpg  

Yeti SB140 Discussion, Performance and Build-yetisb140_initbuild.jpg  

Yeti SB140 Discussion, Performance and Build-yetisb140_initbuild3.jpg  

Yeti SB140 Discussion, Performance and Build-yetisb140_trail1.jpg  

Yeti SB140 Discussion, Performance and Build-yeti_sb140_small_drop2.jpg  

Yeti SB140 Discussion, Performance and Build-yetisb140_nospacer.jpg  

Yeti SB140 Discussion, Performance and Build-yetisb140_0_4_spacer.jpg  

Last edited by bikesalott; 3 Days Ago at 10:09 AM.
    2020 Yeti SB140 Custom

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Thatís very interesting. I run about 230psi at 180lbs and get around 33% sag. Am definitely using full travel but no harsh bottom out. I occasionally back off the LSC to fully open to make it more supple over low speed chunk.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Thatís very interesting. I run about 230psi at 180lbs and get around 33% sag. Am definitely using full travel but no harsh bottom out. I occasionally back off the LSC to fully open to make it more supple over low speed chunk.
    Yeah, that seems to be consistent with what I've experienced. I haven't actually felt a harsh bottom out on the small drops and features. And I'm getting pretty much full travel. Also, lowering that LSC, increases the supple-ness. I've countered with a bit more rebound dampening as the air spring compresses easier with lower LSC, and wants pop back into place, tossing the rear end up a bit more than I'd like.

Just anticipating hitting the bottom as the features get larger....
    2020 Yeti SB140 Custom