Yeti SB130 Discussion, Performance and Build - Page 15- Mtbr.com
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415
Results 1,401 to 1,437 of 1437
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnybex View Post
    lower your stack height....slam the stem on the headset assuming it doesn't negatively effect your ride position when seated and give you pain.
    What's "standard" in terms of spacers anyway? Looks like I'm 25mm below and some tiny amount (2.5?) above my stem. (40mm, 0 rise)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 93TilInfinity View Post
    What's "standard" in terms of spacers anyway? Looks like I'm 25mm below and some tiny amount (2.5?) above my stem. (40mm, 0 rise)
    Itís all personal preference on whatís comfortable but since Iím 5í9Ē tall and ride a size large frame Iím already on a bike with a taller stack height just due to sizing so Iím fine with running no spacers below and having the stem slammed and the bar height is perfect along with my saddle height and I get plenty of pressure over the front wheel so lots of traction and grip in turns and also I feel perfectly fine even on the steep descents when having a higher bar height makes you feel more confident it feels perfect.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnybex View Post
    Itís all personal preference on whatís comfortable but since Iím 5í9Ē tall and ride a size large frame Iím already on a bike with a taller stack height just due to sizing so Iím fine with running no spacers below and having the stem slammed and the bar height is perfect along with my saddle height and I get plenty of pressure over the front wheel so lots of traction and grip in turns and also I feel perfectly fine even on the steep descents when having a higher bar height makes you feel more confident it feels perfect.
    Interesting. Your height sits in the middle of the recommended range for a medium. Yet you've sized up and opted for a large. Did you try both sizes? Is there a reason you opted for a large rather than a medium?

Whether it is or it isn't (as I had less then an hour on the bike) the SB130 felt shorter than the 4.5. Yet I wouldn't want to size up to an XL being at the lower end of the recommended range for a large.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by kingofbiscuits View Post
    Interesting. Your height sits in the middle of the recommended range for a medium. Yet you've sized up and opted for a large. Did you try both sizes? Is there a reason you opted for a large rather than a medium?

Whether it is or it isn't (as I had less then an hour on the bike) the SB130 felt shorter than the 4.5. Yet I wouldn't want to size up to an XL being at the lower end of the recommended range for a large.
    Iím also 5í9Ē . I demoed both sizes and preferred the large for what Iím looking for. Iím buying the 130 to be my ďbig bikeĒ and the medium felt smaller then my large tallboy. So it doesnít make sense to me have my big bike fit so small. The large geo felt perfect!

The medium Iím sure would work fine for a 1 bike quiver.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kingofbiscuits View Post

Every Yeti Iíve owned has been a size Large and finally Iím happy with bike fit on both my SB130 and SB150.

I have long legs and arms for my height so Iím more in need of a longer effective top tube and I prefer the 480mm reach which is mostly negated by the steep 77 degree Seat tube angle seated and when Iím out of the saddle itís even more comfortable because the reach and 40mm stem puts me over the BB and weighted over the front end for tons of front wheel grip.

I demoed the Medium SB130 and didnít like the cramped feel.

The sizing suggested by Yeti is a joke IMHO, look at how transition and Recently Ibis lists sizing, itís all about seat tube length and stand over height and then ETT length. That to me is key to size yourself on the new Geo bikes by all the companies. They are really optimized to reward a more aggressive ride position.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Iím 5Ē9half to be exact and opted for medium after having a large 2018 enduro.
    Reason for me is east coast riding (unless Iím at a bike park) the smaller bike is easier to throw around/pedal all of single track we have. Where as even a faster downhill segment your only averaging 11-12 mph.
    Btw I did start with a 40mil stem and went to 50 which is perfect now.
    I just enjoyed the way you can throw this bike around compared to my enduro. I do have the grip 2 as well aired down to 150mm
    I did have as well a medium sb4.5 with 60mm stem which was also perfect for me.
    I bought into the size up thing however I believe it has a intended use wide open high speed. Just my two sense as I learned the hard way sizing up for my local riding/personal preferences

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Any tall as in 6Ē6í foot riders on an SB130? I demoed a large and it was obviously way to small but wondering if an xl might be workable.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Tytlynz View Post
    Any tall as in 6Ē6í foot riders on an SB130? I demoed a large and it was obviously way to small but wondering if an xl might be workable.
    I am 6'2 and ride an XL. Large felt way too small for me. Think I have heard that the SB150 XL is a bit bigger and better suited for 6'4+ but defer to others on that.

mtbr member
    I'm 6'4 and ride a XL sb150 and would the same size in sb130

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

-C-
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Endubro45 View Post
    I am 6'2 and ride an XL. Large felt way too small for me. Think I have heard that the SB150 XL is a bit bigger and better suited for 6'4+ but defer to others on that.
    And equally, i'm 6'1.5" and on a large & definitely do not want an XL - I have another bike that's the equivalent of an XL in terms of reach (slightly steeper SA) and longer stays & it's a massively long thing. My 130 is meant to be a shorter travel, fun bike which also happens to still go fast. The XL totally lost that feel for me.

In short, you probably need to demo one. I'm glad I did.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by MJW75 View Post
    Hans Dampf 2.35 - 850g
    Nobby Nic 2.35 - 765g
    Nobby Nic 2.25 - 710g
    Magic Mary 2.35 - 885g
    Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 - 1005g
    Maxxis Aggressor 2.3 - 900g

So - a saving of at 255g (over half a pound) switching to Schwalbe (2.35 NN and MM) from stock Maxxis tyres.

You could save almost a pound going for Nobby Nics all round (2.25" rear, 2.35" front). Note a Schwalbe 2.35" tyre is comparable in size to a Maxxis 2.5".
    Came across this post while looking for additional reports on Tire clearance. Anyways, those appear to be claimed weights, cause I have a couple Magic Mary 2.35s, but mine weigh right around 990 grams actual weight, and DHF 2.5 1,015...so I choose DHFs superior performance in everything except loam and mud. But the Nobby Nics typically come within 15-30g of claimed weights... So there would be some weight savings there if you're willing to compromise grip and puncture resistance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Is there a consensus on tire clearance with the 2.5" aggressor? I am having a second wheel set built up So I can run 2.5" aggressor with Cush core For days I'm not worried about pedaling efficiency. When I did a 2 day demo on this bike I pulled a wheel off another bike... A noble TR33 with 2.5" aggressor and I had no rubbing whatsoever... But it was just 27 ID and I weigh only 150 pounds. I guess I'm trying to determine if I want to ask the builder to tension the wheel slightly offset to one side to be safe... It will be a 30.5 mm internal. And i dont ride mud/wet conditions and i suppose I dont mind an occasional rub...so I'm thinking I should be okay.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RAG2 View Post
    Is there a consensus on tire clearance with the 2.5" aggressor? I am having a second wheel set built up So I can run 2.5" aggressor with Cush core For days I'm not worried about pedaling efficiency. When I did a 2 day demo on this bike I pulled a wheel off another bike... A noble TR33 with 2.5" aggressor and I had no rubbing whatsoever... But it was just 27 ID and I weigh only 150 pounds. I guess I'm trying to determine if I want to ask the builder to tension the wheel slightly offset to one side to be safe... It will be a 30.5 mm internal. And i dont ride mud/wet conditions and i suppose I dont mind an occasional rub...so I'm thinking I should be okay.
    Consensus is every frame seems to be a little different. Some have plenty of room, some don't. 2.5 Aggressor seems to be right up on the limit though.

I ran a 2.35 e*13 SS and in the dry it was fine but was close. YMMV.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by rondre3000 View Post
    Consensus is every frame seems to be a little different. Some have plenty of room, some don't. 2.5 Aggressor seems to be right up on the limit though.

I ran a 2.35 e*13 SS and in the dry it was fine but was close. YMMV.

Thanks for quick reply. Well, that might explain why I had no issues when testing and others do. Well, I could always go with a DHR 2.4 if I had to. Or do the spoke tensioning offset...

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by -C- View Post
    And equally, i'm 6'1.5" and on a large & definitely do not want an XL - I have another bike that's the equivalent of an XL in terms of reach (slightly steeper SA) and longer stays & it's a massively long thing. My 130 is meant to be a shorter travel, fun bike which also happens to still go fast. The XL totally lost that feel for me.

In short, you probably need to demo one. I'm glad I did.
    Exactly right, demo is the answer. I am certainly glad I did as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    From the measurements I've seen the DHRII 2.4 WT and the Aggressor 2.5 basically have the same dimensions in real life on the same rim.

According to the database (german site) on a 30 mm inner diameter rim the Aggressor has a width of 61 mm and the DHRII 61,1 mm.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Exactly right, demo is the answer. I am certainly glad I did as well.
    Unfortunately the only dealer within 100 miles doesn't and will not be carrying an xl to demo. So I had to extrapolate from a size large. My legs and torso are proportionate, but I have longer arms. I did put together a chart of the bikes I am interested in and the variance is about .32 inches in stack height and less than inch in reach. I thought the reach could be accounted for with stem length. Stack is another animal. Though if this is the new wave, I think all bikes will be getting lower stack heights. Tx for the input, much appreciated!

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by geop View Post
    Demoed the SB130 at Sedona MTB festival last weekend. Loved the event, area and shredding the red. Chunk is my favorite and Sedona satisfied. Hi-Line trail was a beaut

I am 6' 1.5" and smack dab in the middle of Large / X-Large.

While climbing seated, the XL feels almost perfect / reach a fraction too long. The L felt a bit cramped but more playful, but I'm right at home on it - very similar reach to my current bike.

I had zero issues with the XL on black diamond up or down.

I chose the Large at dealers in parking lot test before I went to Sedona. Very confused???

I want a bike that can handle and attack on very tight switchbacks, which I did not encounter on my demo rides, unfortunately. Turning tight in the parking lot is where I noticed my knee hit handlebar on the Large shockingly soon.

35 stem XL or 50 stem on L? I have an issue going to XL. Always went to smaller sizing.
    I demoed the L and XL yesterday and felt exactly the same.
    The large felt very cramped when seated climbing
    I'm 6'1 but yeti recommends the XL for something 6'3 onwards

dsteding
    Mar 2019
    I have a 2.5 inch Aggressor on 30mm DT Swiss carbon rims, no issue with rubbing.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Still looking for a new or nearly new Performance DPX2 off a non turq frame for a custom build I'm doing. Will trade for the Factory DPX2 off a turq frame plus $100.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzznz View Post
    I demoed the L and XL yesterday and felt exactly the same.
    The large felt very cramped when seated climbing
    I'm 6'1 but yeti recommends the XL for something 6'3 onwards
    Yep, as mentioned previously I had the same experience and I am 6'1-6'2. Descending on the large felt tricky to get just the right position without feeling like I was hanging over the bars or off the back of the bike. The XL feels absolutely perfect.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Yep, as mentioned previously I had the same experience and I am 6'1-6'2. Descending on the large felt tricky to get just the right position without feeling like I was hanging over the bars or off the back of the bike. The XL feels absolutely perfect.
    oh i was meant to ask, which one did you end up going with?
    i'm still quite undecided,

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    oh i was meant to ask, which one did you end up going with?
    i'm still quite undecided,
    XL and I am so glad that I did. Feels like an ideal fit. It is certainly long, but I don't think too much so.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Yeti Lunch Ride color accents?

I saw the press release of the new Yeti SB130 Lunch Ride. There was a picture of a Turquoise SB130 LR and I noticed that both the fork and shock were given turquoise detailing (instead of the standard black detail).

My big questions:

1. What will the color accents be on the black SB130 LR?

2. What will the color accents be on the spruce SB130 LR?

I searched the internet for pictures of a black or spruce SB130 LR but couldnít find them.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardrake View Post
    I saw the press release of the new Yeti SB130 Lunch Ride. There was a picture of a Turquoise SB130 LR and I noticed that both the fork and shock were given turquoise detailing (instead of the standard black detail).

My big questions:

I searched the internet for pictures of a black or spruce SB130 LR but couldnít find them.....
    Saw this on Instagram, not sure how legit it is
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BwT8VUjJK9n/

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Saw this on Instagram, not sure how legit it is
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BwT8VUjJK9n/
    Custom paint job apparently.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Thanks for the link to the picture. However, thereís no way to know if itís real or not. I donít understand why Yeti doesnít have new photos of the Lunch Ride (all different color versions) up on their website. If they want this new product to have a successful launch, why wouldnít they? Iím planning to buy one in the next few weeks and I want to see what the new colors look like!!!

mtbr member

My big questions:

Have you contacted Yeti???

The frame colors on the launch blue LR are the same as the non-LR. This would lead me to believe only the graphics on the suspension components may be changed.

If this is a potential show stopper, I would suggest contacting Yeti.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    rondre3000: That is an unproductive reply. It is absolutely absurd that I would need to contact Yeti to be able to find out what the new color schemes look like on the SB130 LRís. Yeti really dropped the ball here by not putting up photos on their website of the new Lunch Ride colors. This is especially true considering that these bikes are quite expensive and customers should be able to see what they look like before they buy one. I attribute this to a failure of Yetiís management and marketing department.

mtbr member
    rondre3000: That is an unproductive reply. It is absolutely absurd that I would need to contact Yeti to be able to find out what the new color schemes look like on the SB130 LRís. Yeti really dropped the ball here by not putting up photos on their website of the new Lunch Ride colors. This is especially true considering that these bikes are quite expensive and customers should be able to see what they look like before they buy one. I attribute this to a failure of Yetiís management and marketing department.
    Honestly I donít think Ronís reply was unproductive. Most of the manufacturers are returning from Sea Otter and most tend to take longer to update their sites with new gear, often with wrong specs initially. Not an excuse just the way it typically is. If you are need of the info now Iíd call Yeti.

mtbr member
    Not if there isnít a different colour. My assumption is they they will look exactly the same. Why do you think otherwise?

mtbr member
    https://www.yeticycles.com/feature/l...ent=buttonlink

there is a bunch of pictures of the LR sb130 in action in this link. frame colors look the same to me

mtbr member
    Difference of opinion.

I think it's absurd that you won't/haven't contacted Yeti to get the truth about your color inquiry.

To each their own.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxkid View Post
    Ok, finally got it all put together. I'm the weirdo who dislikes SRAM so I bought the GX build and took all of the SRAM stuff off. Running the stock wheels for now, saving for We Are One Agents with i9. Stock equipment except the following-

-XT 170mm cranks
    -Wheels Manufacturing thread together angular contact BB
    -XT 30t chainring
    -XT/Ultegra 11 speed chain
    -e13 TRS Race 11 speed cassette 9-46
    -XT Derailleur
    -XTR iSpecII shifter
    -XT 4 Piston Brakes
    -XT 203mm front 180mm rear ice tech rotors
    -Deity Black Cat pedals
    -Wolf Tooth Light Action dropper lever
    -Blackburn Carbon water bottle cage
    -Renthal FatBar carbon 31.8
    -Renthal Apex Stem 40mm

31.06 lbs, pedals included.

I might get crazy after Xmas and start adding some tools like the EDC or bottle cage mounted stuff so the weight will go up. I'm getting a hip pack and looking forward to doing more rides without a backpack.

I hope to get to ride it in Southern Utah this month sometime. I rode to work yesterday morning and it was a brisk 18 degrees out. Luckily my commute is short. No real 1st impressions yet, except that it looks pretty baller IMHO. My OCD and I are bummed that I didn't orient the Maxxis labels at 12 o'clock for this photo. Sorry y'all.
    Hey just wondering did you go with the normal xt crank or the xt boost crank?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Man I think the new 130 LR is what will push me over the edge towards Yeti.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by digev View Post
    Cornering Your Mountain Bike, Get Low, Not Forward!

https://www.redbull.com/int-en/5-top-tips-for-better-cornering-technique

But Iíd say itís a mix of both

Low AND forward/centered ... but more importantly (at least thatís what works for me) Lean the bike, not the body!

Cornering on a Mountain Bike? - DirtSmart MTB
    Completely agree here. I think if you think too much about forward, you might get yourself into trouble. Get as low and hinged at the hips as you can and your weight will be in the right place

Quote Originally Posted by -C- View Post
    Like everything in life, 'it depends'. I don't need an extra 10mm on my fork travel, the extra rear travel - it's a static change, so you can run a standard 210x55 shock & it won't make any other difference to the bike, doubt it will change the way it rides, just give a bit more for the rear travel. I did exactly the same for my Fuel, i'll probably do the same for this when it needs a service.

Other changes for me arn't needed, I run a 32 or 34T front ring & I don't need Codes on a trail bike I race regional enduro's on. Hell, I don't even run Codes on my 170mm 29er.

The shock change I can get into, as it's something for nothing, the rest i'm more than happy with
    I am of a similar mindset. With the uneven front/rear travel on the 130, a little more in the rear seems like it would only benefit. I find myself blowing through the rear shock's travel before the fork on many rides. I'm pretty convinced to go longer in the rear when I get my shock serviced.

On the fork, I think this is a tradeoff. skinnybex wrote about this, specifically dropping back from 160 to 150 to make it a little better for climbing and I can believe it (not sure if he did/stuck with this). My experience with the 150 fork is that it's just about right. Any more would be overkill given the 130 rear travel, and I wouldn't want to sacrifice anything on the climbing side as this is one of the characteristics I love most about the bike. When I bought the bike last October, I actually asked the shop how much to upgrade the front fork to Grip2 and 160. I decided I would try it stock first because at that point it was a good amount of $$ to upgrade and I wasn't sure about it. In retrospect, I'm happy I did not. I possibly see a Grip2 upgrade in the future, but not a 160 upgrade. YMMV. If you are bashing your front fork and bottoming all the time, then the 160/LR config would make sense. But then I start thinking, wouldn't an SB150 be a better match for that riding style?

Quote Originally Posted by smgosnel View Post
    Iím 5Ē9half to be exact and opted for medium after having a large 2018 enduro.
    Reason for me is east coast riding (unless Iím at a bike park) the smaller bike is easier to throw around/pedal all of single track we have. Where as even a faster downhill segment your only averaging 11-12 mph.
    Btw I did start with a 40mil stem and went to 50 which is perfect now.
    I just enjoyed the way you can throw this bike around compared to my enduro. I do have the grip 2 as well aired down to 150mm
    I did have as well a medium sb4.5 with 60mm stem which was also perfect for me.
    I bought into the size up thing however I believe it has a intended use wide open high speed. Just my two sense as I learned the hard way sizing up for my local riding/personal preferences
    Lots of talk on bike fit and wanted to interject another data point. 5'8" with 28" inseam. Freakishly short legs. Riding a medium, works for me. In fact, almost wish the reach were a little shorter, even though my upper body is really tall, and arms are pretty long....

Here's some info from Lee McCormack introducing a really good concept for bike fit, "RAD":
    https://www.leelikesbikes.com/rad-bike-setup.html

IMO, one of the best ways to look at fit. Takes out the seat tube angle from the equation as that really only impacts climbing..... Some food for thought and an easy thing to measure.

Quote Originally Posted by Zisea View Post
    From the measurements I've seen the DHRII 2.4 WT and the Aggressor 2.5 basically have the same dimensions in real life on the same rim.

According to the database (german site) on a 30 mm inner diameter rim the Aggressor has a width of 61 mm and the DHRII 61,1 mm.
    My experience is that I have visibly more clearance with the 2.4 DHRII WT on my 30mm internal rim vs. 2.5 Aggressor. I ran both on my bike. (search back in the thread for pictures) To me the 2.4 is the sweet spot.

My big questions:

Wow, controversy! Based on pictures available and history of the SB5 LR, the frame would be the same and new stickers/graphics on the fork and shock. And given graphics/stickers are same across all colors of the current SB130, it makes sense that would be the case here.

I look at the LR as a configuration of the same bicycle. This isn't a "special edition" or new model in my mind, and the Yeti website reflects that. I didn't see pictures of every single build config (GX, GX Comp, XO1, XO1 Race, XX1, etc...) on the website either. Would that be nice? Probably. But not a big deal to me. YMMV. Everyone's expectations probably differ a bit here. Maybe if someone cares about it a lot, send Yeti a nice email to request that in the future?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Anyone interested in trading their SB 130 Turq frame (size L) for a SB 150 Turq frame (size L)? I just built my SB 150 up. Its too much bike for my local trails. PM if interested...

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415