Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Yeti SB100 Discussion, Performance and build

Let's kick this new bike off with its own discussion thread.
    Yeti SB130
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Trans Sentinel
    Ibis Ripmo
    Yeti SB4.5
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Are you planning on adding one to the fleet Skinnybex?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GarthMci View Post
    Are you planning on adding one to the fleet Skinnybex?
    Not sure. Iím really happy with my SB4.5 so Iím going to Demo one at Yeti HQ in May so I can feel the difference myself. Iím pretty intrigued how short travel switch infinity will improve on the ASRc in regards to 100mm travel and I loved my ASRc
    Yeti SB130
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Trans Sentinel
    Ibis Ripmo
    Yeti SB4.5
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy

mtbr member
    I have a medium in the garage that I am building tonight and the frame is 2640 grams.

mtbr member
    Here it is hanging on the scale with only the rear axle in the seat post clamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yeti SB100 Discussion, Performance and build-20180413_175218.jpg  

mtbr member
    Looks like the website is pretty accurate. And also re-enforces the fact that every scale is going to read a little bit differently when you're trying to measure things to the gram.

mtbr member
    Checked again without axle and seat post clamp and it's only 2535 grams. 5.588 pounds. The new Blur I built weighed 2165 with DUB BB still in frame also with axle and seat post clamp and it was a large.

mtbr member
    Roughly a pound or 15% heavier. I'm going to assume most of the weight comes with the switch infinity system over carbon weight. Pretty keen to throw a leg over one.

Anyone know if Yeti demo bikes all the way down in Aus?

mtbr member
    Im going to beat you to that demo ride!! lol Im in CO on Sunday for the week

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by slider_phil View Post
    Roughly a pound or 15% heavier. I'm going to assume most of the weight comes with the switch infinity system over carbon weight. Pretty keen to throw a leg over one.

Anyone know if Yeti demo bikes all the way down in Aus?
    Noop, no demo Yetis. If youíre in Sydney though, go see the guys at Summit Cycles. Theyíll like the be the first in the country with one on the shop floor. There seems to be a strong correlation between cool new bikes coming into the floor in L and the store manager also being a large

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnybex View Post
    Not sure. Iím really happy with my SB4.5 so Iím going to Demo one at Yeti HQ in May so I can feel the difference myself. Iím pretty intrigued how short travel switch infinity will improve on the ASRc in regards to 100mm travel and I loved my ASRc
    Fair enough, keen to hear how you find it.

Iím in the same boat about the 4.5, currently my only MTB and wondering if the 100 is going to be that more racey/fast that Iíd want one

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnybex View Post
    I'm interested to hear your impressions of the the SB 100 compared to the 4.5 and ASR. I demoed a 4.5 in small and loved it, was the first time I'd ever gotten on a bike and felt like it fit just perfect! It rode beautifully, but I did prefer the snappiness when climbing of my ASR. (beti 27.5 version) If the SB 100 climbs pretty much the same, is a bit more forgiving on the downs, and feels similar in fit/geo to the 4.5, then I'm in! I'm wanting to move to bigger wheels, and the 4.5 is a little more bike than what I want. I'm hoping to get a chance to demo one in the next few months

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yeti575inCA View Post
    Im going to beat you to that demo ride!! lol Im in CO on Sunday for the week
    Awesome, I look forward to your thoughts after you have your demo on Enchanted/ Apex.
    Yeti SB130
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Trans Sentinel
    Ibis Ripmo
    Yeti SB4.5
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    So, I have a 2017 SB4.5 that I like a lot.
    I feel that climbing very steep stuff is a bit challenging (front wheel lift).
    I am 5'9, ride a M with a 80 mm stem with no spacer.
    If I get the SB100 frame and I keep my fox 34 (140) and swap the components, how will the 140 mm fork affect climbing ?
    Maybe a better route would be to sell the 4.5 and get the SB100 (with the proper fork)

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fabe View Post
    So, I have a 2017 SB4.5 that I like a lot.
    I feel that climbing very steep stuff is a bit challenging (front wheel lift).
    I am 5'9, ride a M with a 80 mm stem with no spacer.
    If I get the SB100 frame and I keep my fox 34 (140) and swap the components, how will the 140 mm fork affect climbing ?
    Maybe a better route would be to sell the 4.5 and get the SB100 (with the proper fork)
    I think 140 would be stretching it, in terms of it riding anything remotely like the designers intended, AND you'd still have the front wheel lift challenge you have now.

Better might be to buy a ~$50 airshaft for your fork in 120 mm. Easy to install (or cheap for your LBS -- certainly less than an hour).
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Subscribed, I'm eyeing one as my race-ish XC bike to replace the Trek. Would be my first Yeti, hope the pedal efficiency is similar/ better than the Trek Re:aktiv
    2019 Yeti SB100
    2016 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks Kosmo, this makes sense.
    I also got a 10mm rise 35/760 raceface bar (mine has a 20 mm rise) and got a 90 mm stem. This plus an airshaft will probably do the trick.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mevnet View Post
    Subscribed, I'm eyeing one as my race-ish XC bike to replace the Trek. Would be my first Yeti, hope the pedal efficiency is similar/ better than the Trek Re:aktiv
    Same boat, never owned a Yeti but looking for a new endurance race bike. I haven't ridden the Trek reactive stuff but I've heard good things.

I'm curious to hear how the rear works compared to the JS tuned VPP I'm currently on with my Primer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    One thing I found out today is that the rear brake hose can only go in the opening on the non drive/ left side. So if you're using moto style brakes you end up with a sharp J bend on the left side, might look ok but it's not ideal.
    Also that same hose is internal so you have to disconnect/ trim it first.
    2019 Yeti SB100
    2016 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    One thing I found out today is that the rear brake hose can only go in the opening on the non drive/ left side. So if you're using moto style brakes you end up with a sharp J bend on the left side, might look ok but it's not ideal.
    Also that same hose is internal so you have to disconnect/ trim it first.
    That kinda sucks. All my bikes (plus a lot of other countries standards) are Moto style. Something to think about anyway.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slider_phil View Post
    That kinda sucks. All my bikes (plus a lot of other countries standards) are Moto style. Something to think about anyway.
    is any other bike with internal tubing routing different? any idea how's the new ripmo or sb5? I'm guessing if they mold internal tubes for routing there is no way around this...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    is any other bike with internal tubing routing different? any idea how's the new ripmo or sb5? I'm guessing if they mold internal tubes for routing there is no way around this...
    Honestly every other bike I've owned with internal routing hasn't been tube routing so I'm not to sure. Noise hasn't been an issue in my Primer and routing was pretty straight forward and easy being able to choose any hole. My old Evil Following had tube routing for the dropper and that was it.

I like the idea of tube routing everything but I guess as a company you have to pick a side with the brake line and Yeti chose the non drive side. I'm sure it's not a deal breaker for most but I'm a bit pedantic with my cable routing

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Hopefully picking up my frame tomorrow!

mtbr member

Posted this in the 2019 XC thread but thought Iíd post here with more detail. Just picked this up last night.

Build is medium with xx1 Eagle, We Are One Insider wheels laced to Project 321 silent hubs with Sapim Race spokes, 2.35 Nobby Nic Addix tires set up with Orange Seal, SDG Bel Air saddle, 150 Transfer dropper (waiting for backordered Kashima post), 50mm Turbine stem (waiting for a 60 and 70 to fine tune fit), yeti bars, Guide RSC brands with 180 rotors front and back and XT Trail pedals. All in 26.5 lbs on the shops scale.

ejh
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wooly88 View Post
    Posted this in the 2019 XC thread but thought Iíd post here with more detail. Just picked this up last night.

Build is xx1 Eagle, We Are One Insider wheels laced to Project 321 silent hubs with Sapim Race spokes, 2.35 Nobby Nic Addix tires set up with Orange Seal, SDG Bel Air saddle, 150 Transfer dropper (waiting for backordered Kashima post), 50mm Turbine stem (waiting for a 60 and 70 to fine tune fit), yeti bars, Guide RSC brands with 180 rotors front and back and XT Trail pedals. All in 26.5 lbs on the shops scale.

that is dope!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ejh View Post
    that is dope!!
    Thanks. Stepped out of my box and went a little more bling than normal.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Have you at least ridden in the parking lot?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    Have you at least ridden in the parking lot?

I demoíd one this week and rode this one around my neighborhood. Thatís about it. My wife is out of town this weekend so no riding for me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Yeti SB100 Discussion, Performance and build-img_0897-3.jpg

Picked up my frame today. Need to order a headset and hope to have it built up within the next few weeks.

Double checked the bottle cage and it clears the larger size standard bottle without touching the shock. Frame weight as claimed.

mtbr member
    I demoíd one this week and rode this one around my neighborhood. Thatís about it. My wife is out of town this weekend so no riding for me.
    Beautiful bike and build. I also commend your choice on wheels as they are the most happening and cool company to come around in a while and the wheels look flawless.
    Yeti SB130
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Trans Sentinel
    Ibis Ripmo
    Yeti SB4.5
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Udyr View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0897-3.jpg 
Views:	433 
Size:	134.3 KB 
ID:	1194157

Picked up my frame today. Need to order a headset and hope to have it built up within the next few weeks.

Double checked the bottle cage and it clears the larger size standard bottle without touching the shock. Frame weight as claimed.
    Whatfork are you using? I am tempted to try a 130mm first since the new SC34 isnt available yet. Formula makes a 35 fork that's very light and really adjustable and 44mm offset. Reviewers like it but I haven't found any real world reviews. I also don't know is it is available in boost.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Whatfork are you using? I am tempted to try a 130mm first since the new SC34 isnt available yet. Formula makes a 35 fork that's very light and really adjustable and 44mm offset. Reviewers like it but I haven't found any real world reviews. I also don't know is it is available in boost.

I'm swapping on my 120mm standard 34 with 51mm offset. I'll try and source some uppers in 44mm eventually for when annual service rolls around. Might go to 130mm later on depending on how it goes.

mtbr member
    I saw this frame and bike in person at Sea Otter today, and pics just dont do the lines justice!! Breath taking!!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

mtbr member

That orange 34 step cast is the cats meow. Wish I couldíve found one!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    One thing I noticed when I cycled the suspension with all of the air out is that the bottom out stops probably 6mm short of the end. I don't want to speculate or cause someone to make some rash decisions, but someone might want to check the tire clearance at full bottom out. There might be a few extra mm of travel that we may be able to squeak out of this thing!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    My frame arrived last saturday but I am in MN working. Will be back home, Puerto Rico, on Friday. I am super pumped to get the build going. I currently own an Asrc. Will swamp most of the part from the ASRC in the meantime. We dont have super steep or gnarly trail back home so I will keep me dt swiss team race fork until I find a buyer and then will swap to a fox 34.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yeti SB100 Discussion, Performance and build-932944dd-cb6a-4f46-bc9f-5a9c4733f9bd.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    The fact that people were running chain guides at Fort Ord makes me highly likely to get one. I've only dropped a chain once with Eagle (oddly enough it was while climbing), but given you can run a really lightweight one on the Sb100, why not right?

I ran a chainguide/taco bash on my HD3 and it was great.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Might need to talk me off the ledge here. I'm thinking about selling my favorite bike, sb4.5, to get this. I find myself doing more and more endurance events and I think this would be a little better due to efficiency, slight weight advantage, and the bottle holder. I just don't hydrate well using a backpack, because I can't see how much I'm consuming. Then I ride my hardtail on courses that would be better suited for FS. One bottle on the bike and one in my jersey pocket would work fine though. If I don't lose much fun factor or versatility it might be the ticket. Part of me thinks this is totally irrational though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dgregorie View Post
    Might need to talk me off the ledge here. I'm thinking about selling my favorite bike, sb4.5, to get this. I find myself doing more and more endurance events and I think this would be a little better due to efficiency, slight weight advantage, and the bottle holder. I just don't hydrate well using a backpack, because I can't see how much I'm consuming. Then I ride my hardtail on courses that would be better suited for FS. One bottle on the bike and one in my jersey pocket would work fine though. If I don't lose much fun factor or versatility it might be the ticket. Part of me thinks this is totally irrational though.
    As I just eluded to in another thread, there is nothing rational about the ledge you are standing on.

I'm trying to figure out how to swing a SB100 (full pimp build of course), just because I think my already super dialed current ride, is over-kill for 50% of my riding (yet perfectly acceptable).

The basement needs to get finished, kids college funds are on the low side, and what retirement fund... There is no argument I can make to justify it adding to the fleet, but will do it anyway.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by NS-NV View Post
    As I just eluded to in another thread, there is nothing rational about the ledge you are standing on.

I'm trying to figure out how to swing a SB100 (full pimp build of course), just because I think my already super dialed current ride, is over-kill for 50% of my riding (yet perfectly acceptable).

The basement needs to get finished, kids college funds are on the low side, and what retirement fund... There is no argument I can make to justify it adding to the fleet, but will do it anyway.
    Clearly, if we lived in the same place we would be friends

mtbr member
    Mainly a lurker but Iíd join that club.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Taking her out for tuning tomorrow. The quick pedal from the shop to my apartment was illuminating though (in a good way). I'm not going to go into a lot of detail until I have done about a weeks worth of riding, and then I'll post up a proper review.

Yeti SB100 Discussion, Performance and build-31945588_10106194565612685_2827498806294085632_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Taking her out for tuning tomorrow. The quick pedal from the shop to my apartment was illuminating though (in a good way). I'm not going to go into a lot of detail until I have done about a weeks worth of riding, and then I'll post up a proper review.

Name:	31945588_10106194565612685_2827498806294085632_n.jpg 
Views:	768 
Size:	171.6 KB 
ID:	1196552
    Looks great. Iíve had mine for a week and gotten in 3 rides. Iím out of shape but it makes the hurting fun. Enjoy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    If in Golden CO, my garage is always open.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    If youíre in Golden CO, my garage is always open...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    If youíre in Golden CO, my garage is always open...
    Likewise, if you're ever in Chattanooga, TN

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    One thing to be advised, the Stages 2nd gen GXP power meter doesn't clear the chainstay. I have a Power2Max NGEco on the way to replace it.

mtbr member
    One thing to be advised, the Stages 2nd gen GXP power meter doesn't clear the chainstay. I have a Power2Max NGEco on the way to replace it.
    probably not only gxp, I saw Jonathan Lee mentioning something about stages clearance with the chainstays, maybe there is a problem with dub or bb30 as well

mtbr member
    Jul 2016

A perfect bike for my local trails

Yeti SB100 Discussion, Performance and build-20180503_152521_resized.jpgYeti SB100 Discussion, Performance and build-20180503_183107_resized.jpgYeti SB100 Discussion, Performance and build-20180503_183111_resized.jpgYeti SB100 Discussion, Performance and build-20180505_065046_resized.jpg

Can't say enough positive things about this bike. I have a 2018 SB5LR, 2018 SB6, had a 2017 ASR. I could actually sell the other 2, keep this one, and would be perfectly happy. Yeti does it again! It feels better, smoother and the cockpit is more comfortable than the ASR. I do not race XC, so I can't notice the extra pound everyone's whining about. I couldn't be happier with Yeti's decision to produce this sweet machine. It's like it was custom made for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by 46isgood View Post

Name:	20180503_152521_resized.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	116.6 KB 
ID:	1196622Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180503_183107_resized.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	184.8 KB 
ID:	1196623Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180503_183111_resized.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	142.8 KB 
ID:	1196624Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180505_065046_resized.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	1196625

Can't say enough positive things about this bike. I have a 2018 SB5LR, 2018 SB6, had a 2017 ASR. I could actually sell the other 2, keep this one, and would be perfectly happy. Yeti does it again! It feels better, smoother and the cockpit is more comfortable than the ASR. I do not race XC, so I can't notice the extra pound everyone's whining about. I couldn't be happier with Yeti's decision to produce this sweet machine. It's like it was custom made for me.
    Tell us about where and how you ride. Also how it is in different types of terrain. What bikes you could replace and why.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Tell us about where and how you ride. Also how it is in different types of terrain. What bikes you could replace and why.

I live in San Diego and ride all the local trails here with a mixed terrain of techy rocky sections, ruts, smooth singletrack, hardpack with loose dirt on top, punchy climbs, etc etc. It's hard for me to put into words and I want to do a good job so give me some time to put it together and I will respond with as much detail as I can. I am not a racer but I do put in 70-100 miles a week in my local canyons. What I can say is that the bike feels like it has way more travel than 100mm, I beat 2 of my SB6 downhill times which actually aggravates me because I feel I didn't push the SB6 to it's limits or hard enough. I"m not sure if it's the 29" wheels or what but I felt more secure on the SB100, weird right? For arguments sake and for you to get a feel of how I ride based on Strava data on the same segement: On my SB6 last week my time was 1:09 which ranked me 120/1657, this morning on the SB100 I did 1:06 which ranked me 52/1657. Of course this is GPS/Garmin Fenix 5 and not official pro times but you can get the idea. The bike just feels good to me. Could be the placebo effect, not sure, only time will tell. PM me and I will share my Strava data or name if you are interested in San Diego rides/riding and how I ride. I am an aggressive rider.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by 46isgood View Post
    I live in San Diego and ride all the local trails here with a mixed terrain of techy rocky sections, ruts, smooth singletrack, hardpack with loose dirt on top, punchy climbs, etc etc. It's hard for me to put into words and I want to do a good job so give me some time to put it together and I will respond with as much detail as I can. I am not a racer but I do put in 70-100 miles a week in my local canyons. What I can say is that the bike feels like it has way more travel than 100mm, I beat 2 of my SB6 downhill times which actually aggravates me because I feel I didn't push the SB6 to it's limits or hard enough. I"m not sure if it's the 29" wheels or what but I felt more secure on the SB100, weird right? For arguments sake and for you to get a feel of how I ride based on Strava data on the same segement: On my SB6 last week my time was 1:09 which ranked me 120/1657, this morning on the SB100 I did 1:06 which ranked me 52/1657. Of course this is GPS/Garmin Fenix 5 and not official pro times but you can get the idea. The bike just feels good to me. Could be the placebo effect, not sure, only time will tell. PM me and I will share my Strava data or name if you are interested in San Diego rides/riding and how I ride. I am an aggressive rider.
    Thanks. I am easy coast rooty and rocky singletrack with punchy climbs and short downs. We have rock gardens which can be up or downs. Techy climbs with roots and rocks. Not many drops, but do have successive rocks and onstacles to pedal up on or down.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Sounds like you found yourself a match. I haven't had a pedal strike yet. Trust me, you will not be disappointed. The bike tracked/tracks extremely well through the rough for me, I could probably do it blind folded if I kept a little speed going. Kidding

mtbr member
    I havenít heard much in the way of pedal strikes. Anyone with one of these been smacking rocks? Not that Iím worried, I prefer 170mm or even 165mm cranks but all the builds that are available now in large have 175mm cranks. I am fully capable of adjusting my technique or ratcheting but nothing beats smoothly powering through a tech climb.

mtbr member
    seems like Nate Hills was 2nd in the Endurocup in Moab with his sb100, he built it for trail riding and seems to be working for him!

mtbr member

Too funny! I think most of us go through the same thought progression looking for reasons or holes where a nice new bike will fit nicely! I just picked up a used 2016 asrc and love it. My evil wreckoning has been collecting dust but canít bring myself to sell it considering itís a tank on the DH.

Chib

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Test ride complete. Quick first impressions.
    1) excellent small bump sensitivity. Amazing actually. Had the suspension open nearly the whole ride.
    2) slacker head angle then asr, similar to 4.5, but the wheel feels more tucked under the bike for quicker steering response. Not twitchy at all. Better tight trail handling then the 4.5. Similar on flatfish rolling terrain compared to the asr.
    3) descending- better than the asr, but to be fair asr does not have a dropper. The slacker head angle definitely felt good on the descent. Maybe not as charge happy as the 4.5? Front fork air pressure needs to be dialed.
    4) technical climbing blew me away. The traction, plus rear wheel staying glued allowed me to climb a tech section 2x in a row that I only make 30% of the time. Either the maxxis aggressor tire is amazing or the supple suspension with great mid stroke support is just that good. Likely the combo. I was impressed. Bike did not feel floppy at all on climbs.

For all around Colorado riding, it is a great bike. It would be very interesting to try it with 2.35 fast rolling tires like an ardent race or vittoria mezcal. The aggressor and minion that come stock are very grippy. It was my first time riding this combo.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rianclay View Post
    Test ride complete. Quick first impressions.
    1) excellent small bump sensitivity. Amazing actually. Had the suspension open nearly the whole ride.
    2) slacker head angle then asr, similar to 4.5, but the wheel feels more tucked under the bike for quicker steering response. Not twitchy at all. Better tight trail handling then the 4.5. Similar on flatfish rolling terrain compared to the asr.
    3) descending- better than the asr, but to be fair asr does not have a dropper. The slacker head angle definitely felt good on the descent. Maybe not as charge happy as the 4.5? Front fork air pressure needs to be dialed.
    4) technical climbing blew me away. The traction, plus rear wheel staying glued allowed me to climb a tech section 2x in a row that I only make 30% of the time. Either the maxxis aggressor tire is amazing or the supple suspension with great mid stroke support is just that good. Likely the combo. I was impressed. Bike did not feel floppy at all on climbs.

For all around Colorado riding, it is a great bike. It would be very interesting to try it with 2.35 fast rolling tires like an ardent race or vittoria mezcal. The aggressor and minion that come stock are very grippy. It was my first time riding this combo.
    Which fork rake did your test bike have?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I hate reading these....new Bike disease starts kicking in and makes me want to swap out my ASR for a new SB100. Financially, that would be hard to swallow...primarily thanks to boost wheels and new 46mm offset Fork!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by junior77 View Post
    I hate reading these....new Bike disease starts kicking in and makes me want to swap out my ASR for a new SB100. Financially, that would be hard to swallow...primarily thanks to boost wheels and new 46mm offset Fork!

Udyr and others think the 46mm isn't "necessary" on the SB100. It has more to do with Yeti's volume buying from Fox as it relates to the 4.5 redesign and/or it's a fad. A Yeti pro, Lee, races with a 51 rake.

I have not ridden either back to back on the SB100.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dpca10 View Post
    I havenít heard much in the way of pedal strikes. Anyone with one of these been smacking rocks? Not that Iím worried, I prefer 170mm or even 165mm cranks but all the builds that are available now in large have 175mm cranks. I am fully capable of adjusting my technique or ratcheting but nothing beats smoothly powering through a tech climb.
    I picked up an XL from Jensen and it has 170mm cranks. I'll trade you for your 175's

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I just ordered one and excited to pick it up ~Monday, looking forward to it !

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Udyr and others think the 46mm isn't "necessary" on the SB100. It has more to do with Yeti's volume buying from Fox as it relates to the 4.5 redesign and/or it's a fad. A Yeti pro, Lee, races with a 51 rake.

I have not ridden either back to back on the SB100.
    right now 44 vs 51 offset is something that no matter which direction they choose it's going to be questioned. I'm guessing going 44 was more like Yeti wanting to go with what everybody is going (even tough though they don't like to say that) than anything else! but take that with a huge grain of salt since I haven't hidden the bike yet

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Nate Hills is also on a 51mm Pike. I havenít ridden a 44, so I have nothing to compare it to. Iíll prob hop on a demo at some point to compare but itís not a priority because the bike handles well in all the terrain Iíve been riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    The new step cast

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    My review is up: Yeti SB100 ride impressions (with comparisons to Kona Hei Hei

I hear you. I have a very nicely built asr and 4.5. Iíd take a big loss on selling either.

mtbr member
    All in 26.5 lbs on the shops scale.
    Not bad considering you could easily drop 1 lb with different tires and pedals alone.
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

Freezer
    Went for a demo ride last night, and going for a long ride today. I'm comparing to the lightweight (22.7 lb. with the 34 fork I have on it now) Pivot 429SL I recently built up to see if I swap out frames. The reach on the Pivot is feeling a bit short for me, and the longer reach and modern geometry on the SB100 is very appealing.

First ride quick impressions relative to the Pivot: Feels a bit taller in the saddle, the stack is definitely higher, reach feels better, slacker head tube and steering feels fine and I got used to it pretty quickly, pedaling efficiency seems similar to the DW link on the Pivot. The SB100 weights in at 27.2 lb, so it's 4.5 lb. more than my Pivot, and I can definitely feel that climbing. If I swap out the frame and fork, I'd probably net out about the same weight as the Pivot is now, so that would be a wash. More impressions after the ride today.Yeti SB100 Discussion, Performance and build-img_1533.jpgYeti SB100 Discussion, Performance and build-pivot-5-5-.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mlloyd007 View Post
    Went for a demo ride last night, and going for a long ride today. I'm comparing to the lightweight (22.7 lb. with the 34 fork I have on it now) Pivot 429SL I recently built up to see if I swap out frames. The reach on the Pivot is feeling a bit short for me, and the longer reach and modern geometry on the SB100 is very appealing.

First ride quick impressions relative to the Pivot: Feels a bit taller in the saddle, the stack is definitely higher, reach feels better, slacker head tube and steering feels fine and I got used to it pretty quickly, pedaling efficiency seems similar to the DW link on the Pivot. The SB100 weights in at 27.2 lb, so it's 4.5 lb. more than my Pivot, and I can definitely feel that climbing. If I swap out the frame and fork, I'd probably net out about the same weight as the Pivot is now, so that would be a wash. More impressions after the ride today.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1533.jpg 
Views:	589 
Size:	240.5 KB 
ID:	1197540Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pivot (5 of 5).jpg 
Views:	350 
Size:	384.8 KB 
ID:	1197541
    Cant wait for that. I have Spark 900RC and Mach 429SL at home and prefer Spark for ability to adjust suspension on handlebar. That is the main reason. Otherwise Pivot is more comfortable ride and more capable on tricky sections but reaching for levers on shock and fork on uphill is not my game. As I had back surgery comfort when seated and pedaling is main thing where I look for improvement on Spark which is hurting my back after 1 hour in saddle.

Keep us informed!

Freezer
    I got in another 2-hour ride on the SB100 today, then did a back-to-back comparison of the 429SL and SB100 on the same 20 minute course. As I mentioned in my earlier post, there is a 4.5 lb. difference in weight (22.7 lb. Pivot vs. 27.2 lb. Yeti), so clearly some of my impressions are a function of the better/lighter build on the Pivot, but Iíve tried not to conflate the riding characteristics of the frame with differences in alloy vs. carbon wheels, tires, brakes etc. In addition, my Pivot is a Medium, and the Yeti I demoed is a Large, so some of the differences are a function of different sizes. Here are some of my impressions in no particular order.

Geometry: The Yeti geometry feels very nice, and I do like it better than the Pivot. The longer front end and somewhat shorter chainstays of the Yeti feel very comfortable for climbing, descending and on the flats. The increased head tube angle of the Yeti is mitigated somewhat by the 44mm offset, and while the Yeti is bit slower steering going uphill, I didnít feel like it was an issue, and it is a benefit in descending. The stack is noticeably higher on the Yeti, and while I do prefer an XC body position, I got used to the bar height quickly and did notice less lower back fatigue when climbing for extended periods. Overall, Yetiís interpretation of modern geometry is quite good.

Climbing/ SI vs DW Link: Some quick background on shock setup for each bike. The Pivotís shock tune requires pretty low pressure for the proper sag. Iím 170lb, and around 100psi gives me proper sag. I climb on the trail in the middle setting on the shock lever, and descend with the shock wide open. The Yeti requires about 200psi for proper sag, and the manual recommends keeping the shock wide open all the time except for riding on the road. All this said, the Yeti is noticeably less plush than the Pivot, although the pedaling efficiency when climbing seems to be about the same between the bikes. Both bikes have a slight effect on the shock when grinding hard uphill, but the Yeti seems to compress the shock under load while the Pivot seems to extend the shock. I assume this is a difference in the anti-squat profile. The bottom line for me here is that the Pivot is noticeably more plush at about the same climbing efficiency as the Yeti.

Descending: The Yetiís longer wheelbase and slacker steering makes it more stable when descending relatively smooth/fast terrain than the Pivot. As the descent becomes rockier/more chunky, the Pivotís plushness and resultant controllability becomes an increasingly important factor relative to the Yetiís better geometry. As an aside, the build (SRAM XO) on the Yeti didnít help things. First, itís pretty noisy from rattling cables, loud brakes (not squealing, but a damn loud grinding which I assume is from sintered pads), and lastly from the DT Swiss hubs which buzz a lot (Iíve gotten used to the golden silence of Project 321 hubs). Second, in my humble opinion, the Maxxis tires are pretty sketchy and produced a feeling of unstable oversteer on fast hardpack compared to the Racing Ralphs Iím used to. Lastly, I did feel like the Yetiís rear end moved around more when descending through technical sections, especially when cornering. This could be a function of alloy hoops compared to the Pivotís carbon rims, the difference in tires, or the Yetiís somewhat less laterally stiff rear triangle (more on that below). I did, however, find the Yeti better to jump, with really stable takeoffs and landings.

Miscellaneous: I tried to get a feel for the Yetiís frame stiffness by trying to move the rear wheel laterally, and found the rear triangle to have a noticeable amount more lateral flexibility than that of the Pivot. Some of what I noticed clearly is from the less-stiff alloy rims, but I could also see the rear triangle flexing a bit. The Pivotís rear triangle by comparison is like rock.

Build-specific items include the XT dual caliper brakes which are insanely powerful (much stronger than the XTR single caliper brakes), and require some finesse not to lock up; the WTB Volt saddle which is really comfortable (more so than the WTB Silverado on my Pivot); and the 34SC fork which felt identical in all respects to the regular 34 fork.

The bottom line for me when comparing the SB100 to the 429SL is that the Yetiís geometry feels better, the pedaling efficiency is about the same between the bikes, and the Pivot is noticeably more plush. And to state the obvious, the Yeti is a gorgeous bike, while Iíd characterize the Pivotís looks charitably as functional.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I got in another 2-hour ride on the SB100 today....

The bottom line for me when comparing the SB100 to the 429SL is that the Yetiís geometry feels better, the pedaling efficiency is about the same between the bikes, and the Pivot is noticeably more plush. And to state the obvious, the Yeti is a gorgeous bike, while Iíd characterize the Pivotís looks charitably as functional.
    Hey there, thanks for sharing. What sag did you have on the Yeti? The 32% recommended?
    BTW tires make a huge difference in the way the bike feels. RaRa rear is good but I prefer the Thunder Burt, front is sketchy at best.
    2019 Yeti SB100
    2016 Transition Smuggler

Freezer
    Hey there, thanks for sharing. What sag did you have on the Yeti? The 32% recommended?.
    Yes, I ran the 32% sag which is 12mm

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Wheels and tires play such a big role in how a bike feels. Any chance to swap and review?

BLAH BLAH
    Mar 2008
    Last piece to my puzzle on my SB100 build.

44mm Offset Standard Fox 34

or

51mm Offset Fox 34 Step Cast
    Whats this line for?

Freezer
    For what it's worth, I compared the twisting flex in the 34SC with the 34 standard by pinning the front wheel between my legs and twisting the bar. I could definitely discern more flex in the 34SC than in the 34 standard. Not nearly as much as with the 32SC which I started with on my Pivot, but it is noticeable. If I were you, I'd go with the 44mm offset; I'm sure Yeti spec'd that offset for a good reason.

mtbr member
    I got in another 2-hour ride on the SB100 today, then did a back-to-back comparison of the 429SL and SB100 on the same 20 minute course. As I mentioned in my earlier post, there is a 4.5 lb. difference in weight (22.7 lb. Pivot vs. 27.2 lb. Yeti), so clearly some of my impressions are a function of the better/lighter build on the Pivot, but Iíve tried not to conflate the riding characteristics of the frame with differences in alloy vs. carbon wheels, tires, brakes etc. In addition, my Pivot is a Medium, and the Yeti I demoed is a Large, so some of the differences are a function of different sizes. Here are some of my impressions in no particular order.

Geometry: The Yeti geometry feels very nice, and I do like it better than the Pivot. The longer front end and somewhat shorter chainstays of the Yeti feel very comfortable for climbing, descending and on the flats. The increased head tube angle of the Yeti is mitigated somewhat by the 44mm offset, and while the Yeti is bit slower steering going uphill, I didnít feel like it was an issue, and it is a benefit in descending. The stack is noticeably higher on the Yeti, and while I do prefer an XC body position, I got used to the bar height quickly and did notice less lower back fatigue when climbing for extended periods. Overall, Yetiís interpretation of modern geometry is quite good.

Climbing/ SI vs DW Link: Some quick background on shock setup for each bike. The Pivotís shock tune requires pretty low pressure for the proper sag. Iím 170lb, and around 100psi gives me proper sag. I climb on the trail in the middle setting on the shock lever, and descend with the shock wide open. The Yeti requires about 200psi for proper sag, and the manual recommends keeping the shock wide open all the time except for riding on the road. All this said, the Yeti is noticeably less plush than the Pivot, although the pedaling efficiency when climbing seems to be about the same between the bikes. Both bikes have a slight effect on the shock when grinding hard uphill, but the Yeti seems to compress the shock under load while the Pivot seems to extend the shock. I assume this is a difference in the anti-squat profile. The bottom line for me here is that the Pivot is noticeably more plush at about the same climbing efficiency as the Yeti.

Descending: The Yetiís longer wheelbase and slacker steering makes it more stable when descending relatively smooth/fast terrain than the Pivot. As the descent becomes rockier/more chunky, the Pivotís plushness and resultant controllability becomes an increasingly important factor relative to the Yetiís better geometry. As an aside, the build (SRAM XO) on the Yeti didnít help things. First, itís pretty noisy from rattling cables, loud brakes (not squealing, but a damn loud grinding which I assume is from sintered pads), and lastly from the DT Swiss hubs which buzz a lot (Iíve gotten used to the golden silence of Project 321 hubs). Second, in my humble opinion, the Maxxis tires are pretty sketchy and produced a feeling of unstable oversteer on fast hardpack compared to the Racing Ralphs Iím used to. Lastly, I did feel like the Yetiís rear end moved around more when descending through technical sections, especially when cornering. This could be a function of alloy hoops compared to the Pivotís carbon rims, the difference in tires, or the Yetiís somewhat less laterally stiff rear triangle (more on that below). I did, however, find the Yeti better to jump, with really stable takeoffs and landings.

Miscellaneous: I tried to get a feel for the Yetiís frame stiffness by trying to move the rear wheel laterally, and found the rear triangle to have a noticeable amount more lateral flexibility than that of the Pivot. Some of what I noticed clearly is from the less-stiff alloy rims, but I could also see the rear triangle flexing a bit. The Pivotís rear triangle by comparison is like rock.

Build-specific items include the XT dual caliper brakes which are insanely powerful (much stronger than the XTR single caliper brakes), and require some finesse not to lock up; the WTB Volt saddle which is really comfortable (more so than the WTB Silverado on my Pivot); and the 34SC fork which felt identical in all respects to the regular 34 fork.

For what it's worth I appreciate the comparison... but yet not. It's kindof absolutely absurd to compare a bike built with trail bike wheels and tires etc. vs a bike clearly built for XC racing set up. My asr was a noodle with alum wheels but stiffened right up with a set of nox wheels. To say the pivot is flexless compared to the yeti with the 2 very different wheelsets is not apples to apples.

I owned and raced both a pivot 429sl and a yeti asrc and hands down the Yeti was better at everything and had a similar feel on shock set up, and similar pressure, both would BLOW through travel on drops without a volume spacer. As far as suspension did you notice the SB100 bottoming out harshly on drops? As compared to the 429SL? As I think that's just about the ONLY thing that you compared that would be anywhere near worth reading considering the VASTLY different builds you have going on is the basic suspension characteristics...

I would be VERY interested in an indepth review of the same build on both bikes, but otherwise feel like we are just throwing around useless data on the internet
    Full time rider part time racer...

See my adventures here..

https://www.instagram.com/projectnortheast/

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by manchvegas View Post

I would be VERY interested in an indepth review of the same build on both bikes, but otherwise feel like we are just throwing around useless data on the internet
    Wow that seems like a totally dickish thing to say, the guy spent a chunk of time writing up his thoughts and you just pooped all over them...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobhoppy View Post
    Wow that seems like a totally dickish thing to say, the guy spent a chunk of time writing up his thoughts and you just pooped all over them...
    Really? Dickish? Come on! Lets list the differences

dropper post on pivot
    no dropper yeti
    1800ish g wheelset with 1000g front tire 800g rear tire on yeti
    1400ish g wheelset with 700ish g tires front and rear
    pivot wheelset A-symmetrical carbon hoops basically 0 flex
    yeti wheelset aluminum fairly stiff for alum wheelset but still floppy as hell when compared
    Crankset on pivot next SL
    crankset on yeti X0 another 100g heavier

JUST the wheels and tires make up roughly 2lbs! of rotational weight difference between these 2 bikes, there is no way to objectively compare with that much difference. These 2 frames only have a .3lb difference between them but yet the builds are 4.5lbs different and totally changes the character of any bike. I'm not trying to be a dick I'm just trying to say, it's not an objective comparison and I think it will mislead people.

See my adventures here..

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    @manchvegas my review is comparing two exact same builds: http://forums.mtbr.com/yeti/yeti-sb1...i-1077779.html

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by bobhoppy View Post
    Well, the time he used comparing the two was not well spent. Thatís the truth.

ďGee, these two bikes that are only alike in frame travel ride differently.Ē

If you donít attempt to normalize differences between the two (wheels, tires), of course they are going to ride differently, and no, you wonít be able to say those differences are solely due to the frame. Thatís the truth.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    @manchvegas my review is comparing two exact same builds: http://forums.mtbr.com/yeti/yeti-sb1...i-1077779.html
    Thanks Udyr I read your write up and kindof more along what I was thinking it should be when comparing this bike with similar build to other bikes in it's class. With that said, I'm still trying to be objective and not just drink the Kool-aid as a yeti fan in general, but to give real impressions of how this bike is going to perform as a racer. Yeah yeah, Yeti didn't stock it as an xc race bike, but lets be honest, that's what ALOT of weekend warrior racers are looking at this bike as... So comparing stock builds on MTBR VS an obvious custom built xc race bike is misleading to what this bike's potential really is.

With that said, I'm hopeful the reviewer above changes wheelsets to the NOX with race tires and gives another review... and then slaps the wheelset with the minion etc. on the Pivot and see how it feels!

See my adventures here..

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I'm still trying to be objective and not just drink the Kool-aid as a yeti fan in general, but to give real impressions of how this bike is going to perform as a racer. Yeah yeah, Yeti didn't stock it as an xc race bike, but lets be honest, that's what ALOT of weekend warrior racers are looking at this bike as.
    I feel pretty comfortable giving the following advice:

#1. If you self-identify as primarily an XC racer, you probably shouldn't buy the SB100
    #2. If you ride a bunch of stuff, and also race XC, you should consider the SB100

mtbr member
    your chance to go build both bikes and share your impressions!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    your chance to go build both bikes and share your impressions!
    more than happy to when my frame finally comes in...

See my adventures here..

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Any more direct comparisons to the 4.5? Looking to decide how much Iíll gain for endurance racing over the 4.5.

alh
    mtbr member
    Aug 2016

Build is medium with xx1 Eagle, We Are One Insider wheels laced to Project 321 silent hubs with Sapim Race spokes, 2.35 Nobby Nic Addix tires set up with Orange Seal, SDG Bel Air saddle, 150 Transfer dropper (waiting for backordered Kashima post), 50mm Turbine stem (waiting for a 60 and 70 to fine tune fit), yeti bars, Guide RSC brands with 180 rotors front and back and XT Trail pedals. All in 26.5 lbs on the shops scale.

Beautiful build, wooly! I'm picking up a black X01 build this weekend and was thinking about changing to XX1 for the bling. Your pics are convincing to pull that trigger!

My LBS is going to demo the 321 hubs. How do you like them? Silent and good engagement?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alh View Post
    Beautiful build, wooly! I'm picking up a black X01 build this weekend and was thinking about changing to XX1 for the bling. Your pics are convincing to pull that trigger!

My LBS is going to demo the 321 hubs. How do you like them? Silent and good engagement?
    Thanks! My backordered Kashima dropper is now installed. Looks awesome. I need to take a pic to post an update.

The wheels are great. Not as quiet as Onyx hubs which Iíve had but I canít hear them while on the trail. Engagement is awesome and the finish is great. Loving the wheels.

alh
    mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Thanks! My backordered Kashima dropper is now installed. Looks awesome. I need to take a pic to post an update.

The wheels are great. Not as quiet as Onyx hubs which Iíve had but I canít hear them while on the trail. Engagement is awesome and the finish is great. Loving the wheels.
    Yes, I'm getting Kashima dropper, too. Really ties in the look.

LBS tells me the hubs are from a team that is an offshoot from I9. Know if their engagement is similar (which I thin is phenomenal).

Has a cycling disorder

Frameskin for SB100

I've developed a Frameskin kit for SB100 in Medium and Large frame sizes. Here are a series of detail images. Man, it is a very nicely resolved frame design.
    Yeti SB100 Discussion, Performance and build-2019_yeti_sb100_c_3.jpgYeti SB100 Discussion, Performance and build-2019_yeti_sb100_c_16.jpgYeti SB100 Discussion, Performance and build-2019_yeti_sb100_c_17.jpgYeti SB100 Discussion, Performance and build-2019_yeti_sb100_c_18.jpgYeti SB100 Discussion, Performance and build-2019_yeti_sb100_c_19.jpgYeti SB100 Discussion, Performance and build-2019_yeti_sb100_c_20.jpgYeti SB100 Discussion, Performance and build-2019_yeti_sb100_c_21.jpgYeti SB100 Discussion, Performance and build-2019_yeti_sb100_c_22.jpgYeti SB100 Discussion, Performance and build-2019_yeti_sb100_c_23.jpgYeti SB100 Discussion, Performance and build-2019_yeti_sb100_c_15.jpgYeti SB100 Discussion, Performance and build-2019_yeti_sb100_c_14.jpgYeti SB100 Discussion, Performance and build-2019_yeti_sb100_c_13.jpgYeti SB100 Discussion, Performance and build-2019_yeti_sb100_c_4.jpgYeti SB100 Discussion, Performance and build-2019_yeti_sb100_c_6.jpgYeti SB100 Discussion, Performance and build-2019_yeti_sb100_c_7.jpgYeti SB100 Discussion, Performance and build-2019_yeti_sb100_c_8.jpgYeti SB100 Discussion, Performance and build-2019_yeti_sb100_c_9.jpgYeti SB100 Discussion, Performance and build-2019_yeti_sb100_c_10.jpgYeti SB100 Discussion, Performance and build-2019_yeti_sb100_c_11.jpgYeti SB100 Discussion, Performance and build-2019_yeti_sb100_c_12.jpgYeti SB100 Discussion, Performance and build-2019_yeti_sb100_c_24.jpg
    Frameskinô Bike Protection Film
    www.frameskin.com
    Dirtsurferô Custom mudguards
    www.dirtsurfer.com.au

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fishboy2807 View Post
    I've developed a Frameskin kit for SB100 in Medium and Large frame sizes.
    I've gotta get one. Especially since I just got my first scrapes

mtbr member
    I just wish it didn't cost so much or there were like smaller kits available. Like maybe just the top tube, down tube and outer chainstays. Frameskin is the best as I've tried others and am not impressed. But I remember paying sub 100 us which was doable...

See my adventures here..

Has a cycling disorder
    I just wish it didn't cost so much or there were like smaller kits available. Like maybe just the top tube, down tube and outer chainstays. Frameskin is the best as I've tried others and am not impressed. But I remember paying sub 100 us which was doable...
    We offer partial kits too though this is done offline. Situations where this is helpful can be 1. where a main or rear triangle has failed (for whatever reason) and is being replaced.
    2. You've had a tumble while riding and you want to replace one or more of the decals that have borne the brunt of the stack so the whole kit looks sharp
    3. You just want minimum coverage, or
    4. You know you are a chronic boot scuffer and want to double up protection just on the stays etc.
    Send me a pm and we can sort it.
    www.frameskin.com
    www.dirtsurfer.com.au

Has a cycling disorder
    They're online now mate.
    www.frameskin.com
    www.dirtsurfer.com.au

alh
    mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Size small coming for the SB100?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishboy2807 View Post
    We offer partial kits too though this is done offline. Situations where this is helpful can be 1. where a main or rear triangle has failed (for whatever reason) and is being replaced.
    2. You've had a tumble while riding and you want to replace one or more of the decals that have borne the brunt of the stack so the whole kit looks sharp
    3. You just want minimum coverage, or
    4. You know you are a chronic boot scuffer and want to double up protection just on the stays etc.
    Send me a pm and we can sort it.
    Sent PM! Thanks man that sounds great. I'm really just looking for the one piece for top tube, the bottom of the downtube and outer chainstay and seatstay. That's cool that you do partials as haven't found anything better than Frameskin yet. Other brands I have tried are more susceptible to scuff marks from boots etc. and they DO NOT COME OUT so I begin to wonder what's the point right? as the scuffs would just rub off the paint, but for some reason with some frame films it's like a permanent scuff that you can't get out...

See my adventures here..

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Got my new Power2Max installed on the SB100 and did one of my usual loops. Some very interesting data.

Obviously there will be some differences between the Stages and the P2M, but both units have gotten good accuracy scores from DCRM so I figured this data would be useful with the caveat that it's really difficult to do exact 1:1 tests on dirt. I'm also about 3 pounds heavier in the SB100 tests since I'm carrying around a bit of water weight.

Paved climb (.4 miles) to trailhead where I usually just spin
    Hei Hei: 4:05 @ 258w
    SB100: 4:03 @ 246w

Dirt climb, 7%, .8 miles
    Hei Hei: 8:56 @ 230w
    SB100: 8:46 @217w

Dirt climb, 10%, .4 miles
    Hei Hei: 5:01 @ 236w
    SB100: 4:53 @ 230w

This says a few things to me:
    #1. The Stages reads a bit higher than the P2M
    #2. The SB100 is probably more efficient than the Hei Hei, potentially even making up the difference in weight.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Got my new Power2Max installed on the SB100 and did one of my usual loops. Some very interesting data.

Obviously there will be some differences between the Stages and the P2M, but both units have gotten good accuracy scores from DCRM so I figured this data would be useful with the caveat that it's really difficult to do exact 1:1 tests on dirt. I'm also about 3 pounds heavier in the SB100 tests since I'm carrying around a bit of water weight.

Paved climb (.4 miles) to trailhead where I usually just spin
    Hei Hei: 4:05 @ 258w
    SB100: 4:03 @ 246w

Dirt climb, 7%, .8 miles
    Hei Hei: 8:56 @ 230w
    SB100: 8:46 @217w

Dirt climb, 10%, .4 miles
    Hei Hei: 5:01 @ 236w
    SB100: 4:53 @ 230w

This says a few things to me:
    #1. The Stages reads a bit higher than the P2M
    #2. The SB100 is probably more efficient than the Hei Hei, potentially even making up the difference in weight.
    Same tires?
    The scientific researcher in me says this would need to be repeated numerous times with the same power meter to prove any statistical difference between the two bikes but it is likely to be at least as efficient as the HH. I think Iím pretty much sold on the 100 being the replacement for my 4.5 for endurance events. The question is whether or not to keep the 4.5

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Is anyone looking for a more trail oriented bike and not concerned about weight thinking about running this bike with a 130 Fox 34? (And yes I know Nate Hills is running his Pike at 130)

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast