Worst luck or best luck with my Yeti ASR?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Worst luck or best luck with my Yeti ASR?

So I bought my first ASR a little over a year ago which was a 2009 aluminum model. Earlier this year in Feb it developed a crack at one of the welds in the top tube near where the shock mounts. So Yeti sent me a 2010 ASR-C as a replacement in the white/turquoise team colors and I ended up having to pay I think about $250-300 to upgrade to the carbon frame because they no longer had any 09 aluminum frames in my size. Also when I got the 2010 I only got the front triangle and was running the same Fox shock body and 09 swingarm. I also had to buy the carbon dogbone which was I believe about $100-125, plus the shipping cost and labor for my shop to dissassemble and rebuild the bikes which was like $150. So the cracked frame ended up costing me about $500-600 when it was a done and I was without a bike for about 3.5weeks. However once I got the new bike I was stoked cause it's a sick ass bike and I figured even with what it cost me I could recoup that cost if I went to sell it down the road being a year newer and carbon.

Fast forward 3.5mos later to today and found that my new 2010 ASR-C has now developed a crack around the lower pivot point. So now they are sending me the 2011 ASR-C and I have to pay $265 for the rear swingarm, $150 to rebuild the bike again, and buy another seatpost(cause I sold my old post off my 09 bike since my 2010 was ISM). So now I'm dropping another $500, but getting upgraded again to the latest and greatest, and I actually like the subdued all black frame compared to my flashy white/turquoise 2010.

So I can't decide if I've got the worst or best luck with my Yeti's and what they've now cost me. If this third one breaks would you guys get another warrantied frame build and sell it off and start fresh with another brand? I really love the way this bike rides though. Curious to hear opinions on this......

EDR
    Your 5 year warranty seems almost useless, I hate to say that but this thread bothers me. It's one thing to not have a rear end available for a 4 or 5 year old frame, but to offer a 5 year warranty on a bike but only have replacement frame sections on hand for a year or so, and to make you (us) pay, literally, for the lack of stock seems like a joke.

I look at it this way. If I reserve a mid-size car and they have none when I get to the rental office, they give me the next available upgrade at no charge. Seems reasonable to me.

When my camcorder stops working and I take it back to Best Buy under warranty and they determine it's cost prohibitive to fix it, they replace it with a new one. Not the same exact one, as those models are no longer available, but a similar/newer/upgraded one. Seems reasonable to me.

The only saving grace I see here is that you have renewed your 5 year warranty each time, at least I hope you have. Still, I'd rather have the frame replaced/upgraded at no charge and keep the warranty clock ticking. At least I think I'd rather have it that way.

mtbr member
    EDR you certainly bring up good points. I wasn't really looking at it that way. The first frame that cracked they sent me the carbon front triangle and basically charged me the wholesale price difference between the frames of whatever it was of $250-300 vs the retail difference of like $1000 on those two frames. I was quite satisfied with that. Now that the new carbon frame has cracked they are sending me the 2011 frame as an upgrade at no cost and I'm now paying the wholesale price for the swingarm vs the retail price of I think about $700 because I wanted the new swingarm which is quite improved compared to my original 2009, and I didn't really want to have this new 2011 pieced together with an 09 swingarm.

I'm happy with the warranty service that Yeti has provided. I'm just a little frustrated that I've now spent about $1000.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyinatlanta View Post

I'm happy with the warranty service that Yeti has provided. I'm just a little frustrated that I've now spent about $1000.

Ya, I hear ya. I guess you could have pieced it together and kept the cost lower, upgrading the rear was your choice but maybe not absolutely necessary to make it functional. Yeti has good c/s and there are plenty of examples of that. It just sucks that changes are made often, with little thought or care put into how to service the old stock still under warranty. Just sucks that if my '08 breaks I'm likely going to have to shell out money under a so called 'warranty'.

EDR
    You know what would be cool. If Yeti guaranteed stock of old parts for 2 years at least to fulfill the warranty obligation. I don't think that's asking too much even though I realize they are a small company. During those two years if parts are not available you get upgraded to whatever it takes to get you riding again, all completely free of charge. That means hardware, mounting bolts, everything. During years 3-5 if they don't have an exact replacement for the broken stuff then you upgrade at cost to the new frame piece but they still provide all the needed hardware to make it work, if any, free of charge.

Just thinking out loud.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm not sure if I understand this or not. Can you
    use a 09 swingarm with a 2011 frame?

Best, John

(he thinks he can)
    May 2009
    i think warranty only applies if it was manufacture defect. I'm not saying you did or didn't crack your frame by riding but it sound's reasonable to me to pay the crash replacement. If you can prove defect by the manufacture i believe your entitled to a new frame no cost. It's the same in any retail area, but I don't think it's the same as your "rental car" example. It's not their fault if the frame didn't crack under the warranty guideline's, which is basically manufacturing defect. I haven't found a company yet willing to give $1k worth of any product away w/o proof of defect. Wholesale is pretty much cost plus shipping from my understanding. I think Yeti and any other company with a crash replacement policy do us, the consumers, a huge favor by offering us wholesale on their great ride's.
    I hope your luck turn's around man, maybe we'll see you on that podium next to J. Bishop or Well's witht that Yeti of yours!
    08 SS c'dale f4
    07 Prophet
    10 Yeti DJ
    Yeti Arc-x
    11 Yeti asr5-c
    ..and they place nice together!

EDR

It was not a "crash replacement"...

Quote Originally Posted by krismac View Post
    i think warranty only applies if it was manufacture defect. I'm not saying you did or didn't crack your frame by riding but it sound's reasonable to me to pay the crash replacement. If you can prove defect by the manufacture i believe your entitled to a new frame no cost. It's the same in any retail area, but I don't think it's the same as your "rental car" example. It's not their fault if the frame didn't crack under the warranty guideline's, which is basically manufacturing defect. I haven't found a company yet willing to give $1k worth of any product away w/o proof of defect. Wholesale is pretty much cost plus shipping from my understanding. I think Yeti and any other company with a crash replacement policy do us, the consumers, a huge favor by offering us wholesale on their great ride's.
    I hope your luck turn's around man, maybe we'll see you on that podium next to J. Bishop or Well's witht that Yeti of yours!
    It's not their fault if the frame didn't crack under the warranty guideline's, which is basically manufacturing defect.

So Yeti sent me a 2010 ASR-C as a replacement in the white/turquoise team colors and I ended up having to pay I think about $250-300 to upgrade to the carbon frame because they no longer had any 09 aluminum frames in my size.
    It did fail under Yeti warranty guidelines. That's why they replaced it, asking OP to pay the 'cost' difference between the old frame and the new frame. "Crash Replacement" would have cost much more, but less than retail. I know, I've used the "crash replacemnet" policy with Yeti. The issue I have is that although it was indeed a warranty replacement..per Yeti..OP still forked out a bunch of cash b/c Yeti did not have an 'old' frame in stock to send him, essentially Yeti is not able to uphold their end of the warranty, at least under their terms. The only option is a 'new' type of frame....for which OP was asked to pay an "upgrade" fee to acquire. If he chose not to pay.......he would have no replacement at all, thus making the "warranty" bogus.

It's my contention that a warranty item, as deemed by the manufacturer, should be replaced at no cost at all. Whether it be an exact duplicate or not. It's not the consumers fault the manufacturer does not stock the needed replacement parts to cover the expected failures that come during warranty period with any type of manufacturing.

What if you had a new car with a 30K mile warranty and the alternator failed at 25K?...and Chevy told you the old type is no longer made but a 'new' one is available but the cost difference between the two must be absorbed by you???

As an example. Speshy has a lifetime warranty on many if not all frames. I've read plenty of threads of people with 5 or 10 year old frames that fail and obviously Speshy doesn't have the old, outdated frames laying around to send out. In those instances the consumer receives a current model frame equivalent to what they originally purchased...at no cost, despite the current price increase on the new models as compared to the 8 year old frame.
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 06-30-2011 at 11:51 PM.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Why do you pay $150 to rebuild bike? Its like half an hour in your garage for this, and a lot of fun.

Yeah, get a different brand. Trek, Giant, or Specialized.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    You know what would be cool. If Yeti guaranteed stock of old parts for 2 years at least to fulfill the warranty obligation. I don't think that's asking too much even though I realize they are a small company. During those two years if parts are not available you get upgraded to whatever it takes to get you riding again, all completely free of charge. That means hardware, mounting bolts, everything. During years 3-5 if they don't have an exact replacement for the broken stuff then you upgrade at cost to the new frame piece but they still provide all the needed hardware to make it work, if any, free of charge.

Just thinking out loud.
    It's a good thought in an idealistic situation, but the cost of sitting on that amount of inventory would be massive all by its self. For argument's sake, let's say that the '10 ASR7 has a very low rate of warranty claim (boy I hope so, I don't want to be putting in a claim any time soon). Now they produced a pile of warranty parts in expectation that there would be X amount of claims; but the claims never happened. So now there's a warehouse with a pile of spare 7 triangles; what do you do with that? You can't sell them, there's no demand. It doesn't make sense to pay to store them, square footage in a warehouse adds up. Do you scrap them and eat that cost? It really doesn't make sense to any small company to stock piles of warranty parts.

So that leaves us with the small upcharge to upgrade to a new design. I wouldn't be really stoked about dishing out of pocket either, and I agree that maybe a no cost upgrade would be the right thing to do but I also acknowledge that they need to pay their employees and in this not exactly booming economy. Is it a perfect system? No, I don't think so. Is it understandable?

On the plus side, by upgrading to the next design you (hopefully) are eliminating the reason the part got warrantied in the first place. I remember seeing tons of old GF Sugar frame cracking in the same place over and over, and for a while they were just replacing them with the same part.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I think it depends on the company, but if
    Yeti doesn't have a alum frame to replace the
    old one with than they need to man up and just
    give him a carbon frame. I've heard of people
    that broke Trek alum EX frames and got a carbon
    replacement because they were out of stock
    on the alum and didn't feel the customer should
    have to wait, or they were just being very cool
    about it.

Best, John

mtbr member
    This reads like an old Ellsworth thread. Ells did the same thing (warranty upcharges) to too many customers and guess what happens? Those people eventually buy other brands (like I did) and now the Ellsworth forum is a ghost town. Last time I was there, I swear I heard crickets.

I hope Yeti is different, because they are the company I switched to.
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

mtbr member
    I forgot to mention in the first post until I read some of your replies that Yeti actually did offer when the first frame cracked to give me a 2011 ASR5 Alloy as a replacement at no cost. However I would've had to purchase a new tapered 120mm fork since I'm currently running a 1 1/8th steerer 100mm, and a new headset since the new frame has tapered head tube. Also I race XC, so I didn't particularly want a 5" travel bike. So I was actually pretty stoked at the carbon upgrade for a minimal cost. Was surprised that frame only lasted a few months and where it cracked was in a completely different place then where the aluminum cracked.

When the 2010 carbon frame cracked they offered to replace that one at no cost for the front triangle and I could bolt on my 09 rear triangle. I didn't particularly want to do that because I wanted the new design so I could run the stiffer 142 x 12mm dropouts, and for resale purposes down the road if I were to ever sell the bike I didn't want to diminish the value with a pieced together frame. The cost they gave me on the rear triangle was WAY less then retail, and even below cost from what my shop tells me.

With all that being said I would say all in all I'm very stoked with the way it turned out. Since Yeti knows my shop owner(he's a former employee of their's) and it was my second warranty claim they sent out my new frame the day he called them to tell them my frame cracked. Normally your shop has to send the frame to Yeti first, they process the claim and then ship the new frame. The whole process the first time around from disassembly, through shipping and then back to rebuilt was about 3.5 weeks. This time around it was one week from the day my shop found the crack til I was back out riding. And that included July 4th weekend in the middle.

Since I've had the bike now since Wed and have gotten 3 rides in already I will say it's an improved bike from the 2010. And the finish of the gloss clearcoat over carbon frame is beautiful.

(he thinks he can)
    May 2009
    +1 for yeti In my book
    08 SS c'dale f4
    07 Prophet
    10 Yeti DJ
    Yeti Arc-x
    11 Yeti asr5-c
    ..and they place nice together!

EDR
    I forgot to mention in the first post.............................

Well, gee. That kinda changes the entire tone of the thread then doesn't it.
    This is whey Yeti does not interact with us on this site unless it's to sell something, like Demo Days.

Tony, glad you got what you wanted. You were stoked to get upgrades and good prices and that was the intent of your thread all along. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    You got a lot of value for the $1,000!

This is whey Yeti does not interact with us on this site unless it's to sell something, like Demo Days.
    +1! It looks like Yeti treated you very, very well. Their warranty system, (see above) may not be ideal, but it appears they make a real effort to do the right thing. I'm glad that you provided more details so we got the whole picture.

If I could have spent $1,000 over a couple of years and ended up with a brand-new carbon ASR5 instead of my alloy--I'd be a very happy camper!
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash. ~Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    !

+1

Props to Yeti!
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

^^^ + 1 I would love to have the latest frame every couple of years for very little cash

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Sounds like a good upgrade strategy!