SB95 with RaceFace SL crankset 1x11- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jnicosia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    182

    SB95 with RaceFace SL crankset 1x11

    Any body have this set up ? I am having an issue , atleast I think it's an issue.. When pedaling backwards the chain drops to the next cog. I do have a habbit of pedaling backwards to set my pedal angles when in and out of corners ( Maybe I need to pedal forward ) also when starting I usually set the crank position by moving the pedals backwards.

    I have a 1x10 on my other bike and I remember it did it sparingly then eventually stopped after a couple hundred miles on the drivetrain.

    This new bike and crank set up is doing it instantly , it didn't do it with the OEM SRAM X1 crankset .

    I followed the RF bottom bracket instructions and have 1 washer on the drive side and none on the NDS.

    Thanks in advance
    2014 YETI SB95C , KS LEV seat post,Nextie Carbon Wheelset/Hope Hubs/27lbs
    Framed Alaskan Carbon X1 /26lbs/Nextie Hoops.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MTT77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    353
    Since you said it didn't happen with the OEM setup, I'll assume its nothing as simple as a bent derailleur hanger. It's probably the spacing. Did you change the size of the front ring, and not change the length of your chain?

  3. #3
    Workin for the weekend!
    Reputation: -Todd-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,337
    Cable tension... Tighten up the cable 1/2 a turn, see what happens...
    Todd :thumbsup:

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jnicosia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by MTT77 View Post
    Since you said it didn't happen with the OEM setup, I'll assume its nothing as simple as a bent derailleur hanger. It's probably the spacing. Did you change the size of the front ring, and not change the length of your chain?
    I kept it the same 32T
    2014 YETI SB95C , KS LEV seat post,Nextie Carbon Wheelset/Hope Hubs/27lbs
    Framed Alaskan Carbon X1 /26lbs/Nextie Hoops.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jnicosia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by -Todd- View Post
    Cable tension... Tighten up the cable 1/2 a turn, see what happens...
    I'll give it a shot
    2014 YETI SB95C , KS LEV seat post,Nextie Carbon Wheelset/Hope Hubs/27lbs
    Framed Alaskan Carbon X1 /26lbs/Nextie Hoops.

  6. #6
    Trail Ninja
    Reputation: Varaxis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    5,645
    It's a 1x11 chainline thing. It should only happen if you happen to be in your largest 2 toothed cogs. Not sure why it happens to you in corners, as you most likely would be in the middle of the cassette. It happens to me when I stall on a climb, rotate the crank to stand on it to mount, and the chain drops to a tougher gear and crunches back up due to the starting torque. I prefer to have my chainring's chainline a little closer to the climbing gears rather than down the center of the cassette. Check the angle of the chain leading to your cassette from the top of the chainring in the gears you find are vulnerable to it.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jnicosia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    It's a 1x11 chainline thing. It should only happen if you happen to be in your largest 2 toothed cogs. Not sure why it happens to you in corners, as you most likely would be in the middle of the cassette. It happens to me when I stall on a climb, rotate the crank to stand on it to mount, and the chain drops to a tougher gear and crunches back up due to the starting torque. I prefer to have my chainring's chainline a little closer to the climbing gears rather than down the center of the cassette. Check the angle of the chain leading to your cassette from the top of the chainring in the gears you find are vulnerable to it.
    That sounds spot on especially since my buddy's 1x11 does the same thing.how can I move the chain line over ? Do I need to order raceface bottom bracket spacers ? I think the one spacer I have on the drive side is 2.5 mm.

    I also noticed there is a measurement difference from the cranks to the chain stays . It's a bigger gap on the drive side compared to the NDS .
    2014 YETI SB95C , KS LEV seat post,Nextie Carbon Wheelset/Hope Hubs/27lbs
    Framed Alaskan Carbon X1 /26lbs/Nextie Hoops.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jnicosia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    It's a 1x11 chainline thing. It should only happen if you happen to be in your largest 2 toothed cogs. Not sure why it happens to you in corners, as you most likely would be in the middle of the cassette. It happens to me when I stall on a climb, rotate the crank to stand on it to mount, and the chain drops to a tougher gear and crunches back up due to the starting torque. I prefer to have my chainring's chainline a little closer to the climbing gears rather than down the center of the cassette. Check the angle of the chain leading to your cassette from the top of the chainring in the gears you find are vulnerable to it.
    I spoke to a Raceface technical support person. He said this is normal especially on the cinch system . He said eventually it will get better with wear and tear.
    2014 YETI SB95C , KS LEV seat post,Nextie Carbon Wheelset/Hope Hubs/27lbs
    Framed Alaskan Carbon X1 /26lbs/Nextie Hoops.

Similar Threads

  1. Raceface Next SL 1x crankset
    By gadget1 in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 682
    Last Post: 07-23-2019, 02:03 PM
  2. Keep your 1x11: What's the best / lightest / stiffest option for 2X10 28/42 crankset?
    By DirtGuru in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 09-07-2017, 06:43 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-28-2015, 11:18 AM
  4. RaceFace NEXT SL Crankset $361.23 @ Pricepoint
    By chasebobcat in forum Where are the Best Deals?
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-12-2014, 08:51 PM
  5. XT and RaceFace BB for crankset - Interchangeable?
    By sinfony78 in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-01-2013, 11:50 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.