SB6c or YT Capra CF Pro Race?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: barenal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    102

    SB6c or YT Capra CF Pro Race?

    Hi,

    I've been thinking about getting a 2016 SB6c. I live in the Colorado Front Range and have had seven Yetis in the past (currently have a 95c and ARC hardtail) and naturally have my eyes on the 6c.

    But I have recently been reading great things about the YT Capra. The build spec on the Capra CF Pro Race is amazing (CAPRA CF Pro Race 2016 RAWR / JET BLACK | Englisch) and costs $5k!!! less than a relatively similarly equipped 6c XTR build, so while my heart goes after the 6c, my brain (and bank account) are thinking Capra.

    Given I do live on the Front Range, I do A LOT of climbing and actually like it. This is where I think the Switch Infinity will shine. I've heard the Capra is a good climber as well but I'd bet it's nowhere as good as the 6.

    Unfortunately, I haven't been able to ride either bike so I was hoping someone on the MTBR interwebs might be able to more provide useful feedback than me with my imagination.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Oni
    Oni is offline
    Master Of Fooliganism
    Reputation: Oni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    482
    That spec for the money is amazing. I'll check back on this thread.

  3. #3
    Tribe Member
    Reputation: yetirich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    873
    I think you needed to switch to the US site and not the British site. CAPRA CF Pro 2016 RACING GREEN / RAWR | YT USA

    Looks they will be out of stock until April or July depending on size and they are on pre order and at $5500. The 6c is only $200 more.
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: barenal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by yetirich View Post
    I think you needed to switch to the US site and not the British site. CAPRA CF Pro 2016 RACING GREEN / RAWR | YT USA

    Looks they will be out of stock until April or July depending on size and they are on pre order and at $5500. The 6c is only $200 more.
    Well, the referenced Capra has a carbon DT Swiss wheelset and carbon RF SixC crankset so it's more in-line with the $10,600 XTR build than the $7000 X01 build.

    I REALLY want to keep supporting Yeti as I love the brand, the bikes and they're just down the road from me. But it's getting hard to justify spending this kind of cash when YT is being so competitive.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Salespunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,996
    The Capra is supposed to be a great climbing bike. My bet is that you will not be unhappy with either one, but these are more emotional purchases than logical. The Capra is a solid value, but does it make you want to go out and ride or will the SB6c motivate you more? That will probably answer it for you.

  6. #6
    Tribe Member
    Reputation: yetirich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    873
    Quote Originally Posted by barenal View Post
    Well, the referenced Capra has a carbon DT Swiss wheelset and carbon RF SixC crankset so it's more in-line with the $10,600 XTR build than the $7000 X01 build.

    I REALLY want to keep supporting Yeti as I love the brand, the bikes and they're just down the road from me. But it's getting hard to justify spending this kind of cash when YT is being so competitive.
    Completely agree. I have owned a Yeti since 1992. But there is more competition than ever. I looked seriously at a Transition Scout2 and Intense Spider. My SB66 will last forever it seems. I like to build my bikes up so I look at frame price or closeouts.
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

  7. #7
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,365
    Here is a local Utah dude with his take on the Capra and a few others in this category (unfortunately not the 6c though).

    Overall, he speaks very highly of the Capra and how well it climbs.

    https://mtbenthusiastsofutah.wordpre...vil-insurgent/
    --------------------------
    mtxbraking.com
    Innovative ceramic brake pads for the mtb industry.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    185
    From what I understand the SB6C and the Capra are very different bikes. I had the Capra and didn't find it to be a good climber but rather soggy. Also it has a very high progression that needs to be run with a good amount of sag and the Yeti is totally linear to be ridden with less sag.
    I dont't weigh much and did not get along that well with the Capra, hence we went apart again.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: barenal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by marcoton21 View Post
    From what I understand the SB6C and the Capra are very different bikes. I had the Capra and didn't find it to be a good climber but rather soggy. Also it has a very high progression that needs to be run with a good amount of sag and the Yeti is totally linear to be ridden with less sag.
    I dont't weigh much and did not get along that well with the Capra, hence we went apart again.
    I'd be interested to know if the progression issues you saw would still be there now that they've moved over to Fox stuff for the higher end builds. The CF Pro build kits have the same 36 Float 160 fork and Float X2 shock that the SB6 has.

    I'll probably end up with a 6 just because I love how Yetis feel to me but I know I'll always have lingering doubt about what if...

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: barenal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by KGAmoto View Post
    Here is a local Utah dude with his take on the Capra and a few others in this category (unfortunately not the 6c though).

    Overall, he speaks very highly of the Capra and how well it climbs.

    https://mtbenthusiastsofutah.wordpre...vil-insurgent/
    Thanks for the link -- that was a great read. You're right -- it would have been nice if the 6 was in the mix but it was still really interesting. Thanks!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Andrew8404's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    945

    SB6c or YT Capra CF Pro Race?

    Since your from Colorado you should check out Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail. The reviews have been amazing and the bike shreds. It actually picked up bike of the year from Dirt Rag. If you want more information IM me and I can direct you to Will who's Co-Owner. And the best part your still supporting a Colorado Company that's local to you!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    185
    From the leverage curves I saw, the Capra is damn progressive just by the way it's constructed. Maybe as an all mountain bike for someone who mainly rides park that's the way to go. But as I am mainly riding trails, it didn't fit that well. Anyhow, I went to the complete opposite and got a Mojo HD3, which I love.

    Quote Originally Posted by barenal View Post
    I'd be interested to know if the progression issues you saw would still be there now that they've moved over to Fox stuff for the higher end builds. The CF Pro build kits have the same 36 Float 160 fork and Float X2 shock that the SB6 has.

    I'll probably end up with a 6 just because I love how Yetis feel to me but I know I'll always have lingering doubt about what if...

  13. #13
    Dream it, Do it.
    Reputation: Spectre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,666
    I would serious suggest trying to do a demo or at least finding someone with a Capra (or the Yeti for that matter) that you can demo. There is a lot of hype in the bike world about what's good/better/best. Everyone tends to say good things about their $5K+ bike.

    I will admit I haven't ridden a Capra, but have ridden a lot of Horst Link designs which the Capra is. Generally, they are quite active under both pedaling and braking but tend to need a little compression damping to avoid bobbing when climbing. Lots of folks seem quite excited about the YT bikes, but I would at least try to figure out if the YT ride qualities fit your preferences.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    18
    morning
    I have a 6C. Most of my friends I'm riding with have a Capra with different builds.
    Both are good bike but the yeti climbs way much better than the YT.
    they both descend very well - In europe the stock price of the yeti is much higher than yt which helps the decision.
    hope that helps

  15. #15
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,795
    I second the Guerrilla Gravity suggestion. To be clear, I don't like the 650b wheel size personally. That said, the Megatrail was far and away the best 650b bike I ever owned. It's a ripper. Really cool company to boot.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

  16. #16
    Dream it, Do it.
    Reputation: Spectre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,666
    Thanks for sharing. I've not ridden a Capra, but given that is is a Horst Link bike, I expected that it climbs similarly to all of the other Horst Link bikes that I have ridden.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Vespasianus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,968
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    I would serious suggest trying to do a demo or at least finding someone with a Capra (or the Yeti for that matter) that you can demo. There is a lot of hype in the bike world about what's good/better/best. Everyone tends to say good things about their $5K+ bike.

    I will admit I haven't ridden a Capra, but have ridden a lot of Horst Link designs which the Capra is. Generally, they are quite active under both pedaling and braking but tend to need a little compression damping to avoid bobbing when climbing. Lots of folks seem quite excited about the YT bikes, but I would at least try to figure out if the YT ride qualities fit your preferences.

    The way a bike pedals has nothing to do with the presence or absence of a HL, but rather the position of the front pivot, which has changed dramatically over the years.

    Even something like the Specialized FS design has changed dramatically over the years:

    Linkage Design: Specialized
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-27-2016, 09:52 PM
  2. YT Capra Pro import advice
    By vontufty in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-14-2015, 01:57 PM
  3. YT Capra in PHX...anyone?
    By btablak in forum Arizona
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-23-2015, 09:22 AM
  4. YT Capra first look review
    By fc in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-10-2015, 06:07 PM
  5. SC Newmad vs. YT Capra
    By bmxking45 in forum 27.5
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-02-2015, 02:35 PM

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.